Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Prime Minister May : Her electoral record

13»

Comments

• Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited July 2019
    RobD said:

justin124 said:

Cyclefree said:

Why should Priti Patel be given anything at all? A liar. Really quite dim. And no record of achievement at all.

Is the bar really that low?

When Trump and Johnson are heads of state, the main settings on the high jump bar are clearly very low.
    Johnson will never be Head of State!
    And yet he is. Look at how Trump introduced him ; from one incarnation of America to his favoured incarnation of Britain. Even Thatcher and Blair didn't allow such assumptions to be entertained to the same extent.
    He is head of government. Or will be, tomorrow, probably.
    The most paradoxically presidential British head of government ever is what he will be, from tomorrow, as you say.
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Posts: 438
    Mango said:

Zephyr said:

IDS as Chancellor would be very very interesting.

Is that a Chinese proverbial "interesting"?
    Is that a mango with a big stone inside?
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Posts: 438
    Zephyr said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

Why should Priti Patel be given anything at all? A liar. Really quite dim. And no record of achievement at all.

Is the bar really that low?

She believes in Brexit and she believes in Boris and she is tough
    On that basis Andrea Jenkyns and Nadine Dorries should be in the cabinet.
    They may yet be
    How about Mark Francois and Andrew Bridgen?
    Junior Ministers, who knows
    These are people so thick they should be at the back of the class doing something simple with raffia baskets. Not anywhere near government or knives or boiling water.
    Like it’s now coming as surprise his first and best backers, his friends closest allies and campaign team, are going to get profile roles in his administration?
    Not just MPs getting jobs, but the whole No. 10 team around him is in change.

Apologies to Neil ♦️ but this can’t be done too soon

Steve Bannon, [Jesus Christ!]
    Boris Johnson and Jamie Wharton,
    Jo Johnson and on to Priti Patel.

Oli Dowden, Lee Cain,
    Lyton Crosby, and Carrie Symonds,
    Sajid Javid,
    and Michael his best mate Gove

Grant Shapps, Dominic Raab
    Jacob Rees-Mogg and Geoffrey Cox
    James Cleverly Nigel Adams
    Gavin Williamson

Duncan Smith and Matty Hancock,
    Mark Fulbrook, and kit the malt house
    liz truss, And HYUFD too.

Let’s be honest, HY has a better grasp of detail than the incoming PM, he can spin, he can argue, with infatiguable confidence. Rather like Dominic Cummings was moping at home and there was a knock on the door, they need to go and get HY into number ten don’t they?

This photo everywhere of Boris doing the Eric Morecambe is it like one of those caught him at unlucky moment like someone waving at Doris and papers try to make out is a Nazi salute? Or did he really pose like the biggest prat in the world?
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    We keep being told that Boris connects with people, he has appeal, he is a winner etc. Well call a GE or is he chicken? Boris has no mandate!
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Can we just give over with talk of mandates?

We have changed PMs so many times mid-Parliament in recent decades for it to be a completely normal part of our system

Johnson
    May
    Brown
    Major
    Callaghan

Those are just the ones in my lifetime
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    RobD said:

@twistedfirestopper3 read your post on the last thread, all the very best to you and your missus. Insofar as I have a fcking clue, tell your kids as soon as you feel it's right (in my vaguely approximate experience you'll probably know).

Just caught up with this news from @twistedfirestopper3. Awful. Let's keep our collective fingers crossed on the treatment.
    Thirded. Very sad news.
    Agreed. Sending good thoughts to Mrs Firestopper for a full and swift recovery.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    edited July 2019

We have changed PMs so many times mid-Parliament in recent decades for it to be a completely normal part of our system

Johnson
    May
    Brown
    Major
    Callaghan

Where is the mandate for No Deal?

If May could have an election in 2017. Why not Boris? He was a senior member of the cabinet that agreed to that. We keep being told he is popular, he connects with people, he has a vision. Then he should call an election this afternoon and prove he is not chicken! He has no mandate for No Deal and it is only right he gets a mandate for that if he plans to do it. I think he will fail to get that mandate...
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    https://twitter.com/mark_5506/status/1153708595063730176

The Free Tommy crew are on board for Boris, he really is the Britain Trump.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

Johnson
    May
    Brown
    Major
    Callaghan

Where is the mandate for No Deal?

If May could have an election in 2017. Why not Boris? He was a senior member of the cabinet that agreed to that. We keep being told he is popular, he connects with people, he has a vision. Then he should call an election this afternoon and prove he is not chicken! He has no mandate for No Deal and it is only right he gets a mandate for that if he plans to do it. I think he will fail to get that mandate...
    You might have missed it, but he isn't actually PM yet.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,290
    For anyone awoken by the weather, this is worth a look right now:

http://en.blitzortung.org/live_lightning_maps.php?map=12
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,290
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    edited July 2019
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

YouGov/The Times poll of Labour Party members:

81% support referendum on Irish reunification

49% support Scottish independence

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/xi390k7ca3/TheTimes_190719_LabourMemberResults_ww.pdf

I absolutely fucking despise what the Labour Party has becomflsee. That I voted for that anal pustule Jezbollah is a shame I will never get over. I stay for 2 reasons - one, putting cretins to the sword relieves my stress levels, two, we need to defeat said cretins
    56% of Labour members think Corbyn is doing well, 43% doing badly, 2% DK. (Back in March it was 80/19/1). 56% want him to be leader at the GE, 39% want him to step down before the GE, 5% DK, (74/22/3 back in March).

So:
    1. Anything but "overwhelming".
    2. Really poor figures for the leader of any party from the group who should be most supportive of him - worse I think even than the figures Ed Miliband achieved amongst members at his lowest ebb.
    3. A huge shift in attitudes towards Corbyn since March.
    4. And these are the opinions of those who are still in the Labour Party, excluding the many former members who have left in despair at what it has become.
    https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/vt5q4u6pst/TheTimes_190719_LabourMemberResults_w.pdf
    Many findings in that poll are astonishing, not least that a third... yes, one third... of SLab members support Scottish independence. Even after the mass-exodus to the SNP and Greens.

All those BritNats who add up SNP+Green support and then chortle that it is less than 50% are falling in the complacency trap. Again.
    Given the SLAB is polling about 15% max and SLab were just 5th in the European Parliament elections on an abysmal 9% and Scottish Labour members are barely a fraction of that and mainly Marxists now anyway if they do not already vote SNP half the time it is really not that surprising
    Some polls have Labour in the 17% - 20% range - and in second place.
    The latest Yougov has Labour on 15% in Scotland with the Tories and Brexit Party on 23% combined

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/07/18/voting-intention-con-25-lab-21-lib-dem-20-brex-19-
    1. There is no party called “The Tories and Brexit Party”

2. June’s full-sample Panalbase has SLab on 17%, just one point behind SCon. May’s Panelbase had them on 19%, two points ahead of SCon. It’s MoE stuff, reflected in Shadsy’s even-Stevens 7/1 prices.

3. You are quoting a sub-sample, and have chosen an ok one for Ruthie’s team. There are plenty of appalling ones too.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Yes, it's a horror movie...

• Options
    A Yookay PM telling porkies? Shoorly not.

Boris Johnson’s claims of ‘side deals’ are ‘pure rubbish’, EU says
    New Tory leader said no-deal Brexit would be less painful because of ‘side deals’ with Brussels

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jul/24/boris-johnson-claims-of-side-deals-are-rubbish-eu-says

All Johnson has done is destroy trust with an organisation he claims he wants to negotiate with. He either has no intention of negotiating with them, or he is a buffoon. I suspect the latter.
  • Options
    First to resign? (only those named count; betway)

Jeremy Corbyn 11/10
    Boris Johnson 9/4
    John Bercow 7/2
    Jo Swinson 8/1
    Ursula von der Leyen 16/1
    Nicola Sturgeon 20/1
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    IanB2 said:

I was watching it around 1240 - I've never seen such frequent flashes but it was eerily quiet
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    Scott_P said:
    Deputy PM and what? On it's own it's nothing.

Funnily enough in my neck of the woods the new council leader did make one of the other candidates deputy.

But hunt is forcing Boris's hand - hes going to backbenches.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,296
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    Deputy PM and what? On it's own it's nothing.

Funnily enough in my neck of the woods the new council leader did make one of the other candidates deputy.

But hunt is forcing Boris's hand - hes going to backbenches.
    Which interestingly means there will have been no Minister serving continuously since 2010 in Boris' Cabinet - May, Hammond and Hunt being the last ones.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    The England Cricket Team would like to apologise to all those people who thought that they were a great side.
    https://twitter.com/Aggerscricket/status/1154000404004446208
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    edited July 2019
    kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

I was watching it around 1240 - I've never seen such frequent flashes but it was eerily quiet
    Saw a storm last night about 11.00, plenty of sheet lightning, but no sound. Local BBC weatherman implied it was due to height of storm and heavy cloud cover muffling the noise.

Can't recall when I last noticed a thunderstorm without any significant noise.
This discussion has been closed.