Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » At this critical time reflections on “Cultivating Democracy”

SystemSystem Posts: 11,019
edited July 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » At this critical time reflections on “Cultivating Democracy”

Occasionally I have planted a gorgeous looking plant; it has flowered briefly then died.  On digging it up I find the dreaded wine weevil or roots which have made no attempt to spread into the soil and find nutrition.  It is a reminder that nourishing the hidden roots is by far a gardener’s most important task.  A plant not strong and well anchored will be blown away by the winds, destroyed by frost or succumb to malicious bugs and parasites.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Has anyone actually managed to read a Cyclefree thread without skipping a paragraph or two.

This is just another rambling Remainiac rant as far as I can see.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,057

Has anyone actually managed to read a Cyclefree thread without skipping a paragraph or two.

Your ambivalence about Brexit shines through every post.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Independent institutions who have their own role to play in ensuring good governance, proper scrutiny and a properly democratic culture: the press, the judiciary, all sorts of bodies from Burke’s little platoons to bodies set up by government to scrutinise and challenge and review.

What, like the Electoral Commission?
  • Options

Well I didn't/couldn't vote in the ref - can't get more ambivalent than that.

Being anti-remainiac while holding an Mayite view about it are hardly mutally exclusive.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,957

Yes me. Cyclefree writes with passion, and is logically consistent. One doesn't have to agree with everything she says.
    She is also just about as moderate a Remainer (if she actually has revealed finally that she is) as it is possible to find. Maybe if even the most mild mannered Brexit, meh voter, now appears to you to be ranting, perhaps it is a sign of how badly the Brexit side has ballsed everything up, and utterly alienated and infuriated everyone else?
  • Options
    Like every other post by Cyclefree this is a lucid and far-seeing comment on the present situation. I see JBriskin does not have the patience to read it, never mind think about it, but it is nevertheless true.

Let's hope Boris has the ability to understand grown-up propositions when they are put to him..........
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,582

An impatient dismissal of something you claim not to have read is not the best argument.
    As far as I can see....
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Yes me. Cyclefree writes with passion, and is logically consistent. One doesn't have to agree with everything she says.
    She is also just about as moderate a Remainer (if she actually has revealed finally that she is) as it is possible to find. Maybe if even the most mild mannered Brexit, meh voter, now appears to you to be ranting, perhaps it is a sign of how badly the Brexit side has ballsed everything up, and utterly alienated and infuriated everyone else?
    Reminds me of the joke-

I thought I was doing quite well on my wordsearch until I found out it was a Will Self column.

This one is just as impenetrable as the others.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,977
    Nigelb said:

An impatient dismissal of something you claim not to have read is not the best argument.
    As far as I can see....
    It's remarkable consist with your typical No Dealer though.

I note in today's time that IDS wants a bare bones trade deal with the EU. As an trade deal will require the Backstop I'm struggling to work out exactly what he thinks he is asking for.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

As far as I can see....
    Pah it's what the term TL;DR was designed for. Btw, I'm a speed reader so have special gifts.
  • Options

Like every other post by Cyclefree this is a lucid and far-seeing comment on the present situation. I see JBriskin does not have the patience to read it, never mind think about it, but it is nevertheless true.

Let's hope Boris has the ability to understand grown-up propositions when they are put to him..........

I wouldn't mind but it's the second remoaner rant of the day - I'm only here avoiding the golf.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,066

Being anti-remainiac while holding an Mayite view about it are hardly mutally exclusive.
    Didn't and couldn't are two entirely different conditions. Which was it, if that doesn't strain you ambivalence?
  • Options

Didn't and couldn't are two entirely different conditions. Which was it, if that doesn't strain you ambivalence?
    I couldn't vote but I probably wouldn't have anyway.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

As far as I can see....
    Pah it's what the term TL;DR was designed for. Btw, I'm a speed reader so have special gifts.
    Argumentation not being amongst them, apparently.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

As far as I can see....
    Argumentation not being amongst them, apparently.
    Oih - take that back - I am a sophist extraordinaire
  • Options
    eek said:

Nigelb said:

As far as I can see....
    It's remarkable consist with your typical No Dealer though.

I note in today's time that IDS wants a bare bones trade deal with the EU. As an trade deal will require the Backstop I'm struggling to work out exactly what he thinks he is asking for.
    It is the same thing as the Brexit project - a simple solution to complex problems.
    An attractive, but utterly illusory prospectus.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,816

Have you considered that this might say more about you than the article?

• Options
    dixiedean said:

She may well write With passion and consistenstly; I want to know what she writes On; I'll have what's she's having.
  • Options

Have you considered that this might say more about you than the article?

Truth be told Ms Brisk has been censoring me a bit lately - but I'd managed to scribble out something for Meek's thread that got approval but this one popped up as I was all prepared to type.
  • Options
    Yup, the Eton thread was more interesting but I had Groundhog day and The Big Short to re-watch.

Is Stewart really the only Etoner in contention. Would make a change.
  • Options
    JBriskinindyref2JBriskinindyref2 Posts: 1,775
    edited July 2019
    Did we all watch The Big Short then?

It's good isn't it. I went to bed though; seen it before.

I would have thought it would be right up the high-rolling economists of PB's street.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Yup, the Eton thread was more interesting but I had Groundhog day and The Big Short to re-watch.

There are 20 Old Etonian Conservative MPs, iirc. One is Boris; another is Rory; Kwasi a third. The other 17 are left as an exercise for the reader.

Are they in contention? For what?
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,945

Cyclefree is one of the most lucid, rational, liberal and tolerant posters on here. About as far away from a "rambling remainiac" as it gets.

Great post, Cyclefree. As always.

The problem with our democracy is that FPTP grants too much power to a minority. You only need to secure 35% or so of the vote to impact 100% of the country.

In an era when people no longer compromise nor take the country as a whole into account, I fear the long term damage to country, economy and democracy a narrow, ideologically obsessive Brexit Party or Labour Party government could do.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,995

You just have to approach it with the same self-discipline and air of resignation as if you were attempting to read Zettel's Traum.
  • Options

Did we all watch The Big Short then?

It's good isn't it. I went to bed though; seen it before.

I would have thought it would be right up the high-rolling economists of PB's street.

Pb Tories hate The Big Short because it does not blame Gordon Brown.

I can't be bothered with a film that does not even mention Gordon Brown. :wink:
  • Options

There are 20 Old Etonian Conservative MPs, iirc. One is Boris; another is Rory; Kwasi a third. The other 17 are left as an exercise for the reader.

Kwasi?????? Isn't he, err, y'know - a bit exotic for an etonian?
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Posts: 438
    Coming this week, a sea change in British politics. It’s not merely Tory leader replacing Tory leader as PM as Amber Rudd is trying to kid herself, it’s a profound change. To use a PB metaphor to illustrate, Big G out of Downing Street, HY striding in.

To illustrate it another way, Boris is PM, Javid Chancellor, Priti Patel Home Secretary, Ian Duncan Smith Deputy PM, Shapps Chief Whip, a top job for Williamson too, possibly health if Hancock replaces Hunt at FO.

In terms of policy, the idea we can only leave EU with a deal is on the fire, its gone. Also we’ll have a Downing Street doing a big cuddle up with Trumps White House.

There’s no standing in the hallway blocking this door, the times are a changing.
  • Options

Kwasi?????? Isn't he, err, y'know - a bit exotic for an etonian?
    It's women who are too exotic for Eton.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    kyf_100 said:

Cyclefree is one of the most lucid, rational, liberal and tolerant posters on here. About as far away from a "rambling remainiac" as it gets.

The problem with our democracy is that FPTP grants too much power to a minority. You only need to secure 35% or so of the vote to impact 100% of the country.

In an era when people no longer compromise nor take the country as a whole into account, I fear the long term damage to country, economy and democracy a narrow, ideologically obsessive Brexit Party or Labour Party government could do.
    Excellent post .

The FPTP was just about bearable when there’s wasn’t such a polarized electorate . But now fundamental changes to the country could happen with a huge majority against that .

The stakes have become much higher now with Brexit and Trump in the WH.

• Options
    kyf_100 said:

The problem is that the European questions are either/or questions. Either we are part of the single market with free movement of people, or we aren’t. Either we are in the customs union, or we aren’t.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,214
    tlg86 said:

kyf_100 said:

The problem is that the European questions are either/or questions. Either we are part of the single market with free movement of people, or we aren’t. Either we are in the customs union, or we aren’t.
    Yes if you break it down to that level of granularity, but the question asked was "membership of the EU" YES/NO. We could have left the EU but retained a lot of the relationship and thus limited the damage.

If the answer to every question of our relationship with the EU is no, then we are condemning ourselves to economic and political weakness. Even Dan Hannam said he wanted to retain membership of the single market.

Since the debate has been framed in this way, since the referendum, there has been a backlash- the No dealers say no to anything and every compromise has been trashed.

The result is that the Pro_EU camp is digging in as a reaction. The battle may well be re-run and this time the uncompromising leavers will be defeated.
  • Options
    Zephyr said:

There’s no standing in the hallway blocking this door, the times are a changing.

Don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin.
  • Options
    Cicero said:

tlg86 said:

kyf_100 said:

Yes if you break it down to that level of granularity, but the question asked was "membership of the EU" YES/NO. We could have left the EU but retained a lot of the relationship and thus limited the damage.

If the answer to every question of our relationship with the EU is no, then we are condemning ourselves to economic and political weakness. Even Dan Hannam said he wanted to retain membership of the single market.

Since the debate has been framed in this way, since the referendum, there has been a backlash- the No dealers say no to anything and every compromise has been trashed.

The result is that the Pro_EU camp is digging in as a reaction. The battle may well be re-run and this time the uncompromising leavers will be defeated.
    Personally I’m not nearly as worried about FPTP as @kyf_100 - if the Lib Dem’s win a majority on 35% (or less) of the vote, so be it. Likewise the Tories or TBP.

MPs had their chance to secure Brexit, they didn’t, and now they have to accept the consequences, whatever they may be.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

Some people don't want to engage with the argument and just seek to dismiss anything that doesn't suit their agenda. Perhaps you could construct a reasoned counter-argument to what Cyclefree has said and we could discuss them both.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

Some people don't want to engage with the argument and just seek to dismiss anything that doesn't suit their agenda. Perhaps you could construct a reasoned counter-argument to what Cyclefree has said and we could discuss them both.
    Fine.

Can you please translate the nonsense Burke quote for me first so I can get started given I only speak the lingua franca
  • Options

The header is not about Remain or Leave or even about Brexit. It is about what distinguishes a liberal democracy from an elected dictatorship or even fascism. If you want the TL;DR summary, try the bullet list at the bottom.

OT didn't we used to call them blobs before American word-processors came along?
  • Options

The header is not about Remain or Leave or even about Brexit. It is about what distinguishes a liberal democracy from an elected dictatorship or even fascism. If you want the TL;DR summary, try the bullet list at the bottom.

OT didn't we used to call them blobs before American word-processors came along?
    I've always called them bullet points.

And yes I've read them. It's a difficult lead into them though;

Are these good things or bad things.

I'm thinking these are the bad things; they are written by someone who wants to keep weed illegal after all.

I've always been a pro-social democracy kind of guy anyway. If this is a pro-liberal democracy piece then this does kind of explain the verbiage nonsense.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,203

It’s as much about what Labour’s difficulties say about their approach to government as Brexit. Indeed, my point is that if you step back from the immediate policy issues there are some long-term dangers to our democracy which need addressing.

I hope that is short enough for you.
  • Options

OllyT said:

Fine.

Can you please translate the nonsense Burke quote for me first so I can get started given I only speak the lingua franca
    The quote means that people don't live their lives according to abstract principles, so in practice politics requires compromise rather than simply seeking consensus.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

It’s as much about what Labour’s difficulties say about their approach to government as Brexit. Indeed, my point is that if you step back from the immediate policy issues there are some long-term dangers to our democracy which need addressing.

I've been reading more and more of it as I re-load the page.

You're not a Rushdie fan are you?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334

As you see from the universal reaction to your post, you're just speaking for yourself. Most of us appreciate Cyclefree even when we disagree with her (quite often, in my case, though not for this one).

But don't let that stop you submitting a header of your own.
  • Options

OllyT said:

Fine.

The quote means that people don't live their lives according to abstract principles, so in practice politics requires compromise rather than simply seeking consensus.
    Well thanks however that still needs translated-

What's the difference between compromise and consensus?
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

No. I’ve never managed to read one of his novels. But I don’t read much fiction so tend to be very selective in what I do read.

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,288
    Cyclefree said:

I have read all your thread and generally agree with most of your observations

We are in a very unstable place at present and something must happen on brexit to enable politics to move forward.

What that 'something' is must come into view by 31st October as it is the default date in legislation that we leave. As was commented on this morning the date is now UK law and it is also EU law.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

No. I’ve never managed to read one of his novels. But I don’t read much fiction so tend to be very selective in what I do read.

A swing and a miss!
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334
    What's happening in the Japanese Senatorial elections, EiT? The LDP cruising to another win?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

My very wise late Father in Law was an avid reader and never read any fiction

He maintained that if he read non fiction 24 hours a day through his lifetime he still would not have exhausted the supply of non fiction. He lived to 86, bless him
  • Options

As you see from the universal reaction to your post, you're just speaking for yourself. Most of us appreciate Cyclefree even when we disagree with her (quite often, in my case, though not for this one).

But don't let that stop you submitting a header of your own.
    If Mike ever published a thread of mine I think I might actually die of excitement and I'm not even being sarcastic.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Good move making IDS deputy PM. .He's the only person who can make Johnson sound sane
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    lol at Hammond "stepping down" before getting fired.....
  • Options

OllyT said:

Fine.

If I thought you might pay attention rather than just hurl abuse I’d quote the passage from which this quote is taken, which explains it far more lucidly than I would be able to.

But I have an appointment to go to so will check in later.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

OllyT said:

Fine.

If I thought you might pay attention rather than just hurl abuse I’d quote the passage from which this quote is taken, which explains it far more lucidly than I would be able to.

But I have an appointment to go to so will check in later.
    Well I'm sorry you seem to be under the missapprehension that I'm here to hurl abuse.

Catch ya later.
  • Options

OllyT said:

Fine.

In a world which gives you google for free, you should try doing some of your own work. You might even find the exercise educative.

To get you started, illation is an archaic synonym for conclusion.
    Are you someone who finds Shakespeare irritating because of the difficult words ?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

OllyT said:

Fine.

In a world which gives you google for free, you should try doing some of your own work. You might even find the exercise educative.

Are you someone who finds Shakespeare irritating because of the difficult words ?
    Yes - I fucking hate Shakespere. Home run for you.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150

What's happening in the Japanese Senatorial elections, EiT? The LDP cruising to another win?

Yup, solid majority, but probably just short of the super-majority they and their allies would need to amend the constitution.

Opposition further consolidated around the Constitutional Democrats, Socialists seem to have lost their last seat, beaten out by the Protect the People from NHK Party, who are operating a callcenter for people who are having trouble with their TV license collector.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

OllyT said:

Fine.

Your loss.
    Catch ya later.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,850
    Afternoon all :)

Thanks, as always, Cyclefree for an interesting piece. My late mother always said the end of civilisation began when they got rid of the park keepers because it showed that once the cost of looking after the park was deemed more important than the unquantifiable beauty, sense of community and identity a well looked-after park provided, we were on the long slippery slope to destruction.

"The cost of everything, the value of nothing" - sums up societal and individual attitudes.

I'd argue the systematic centralisation of activities has been a huge factor in undermining democracy - Westminster is all, the local council or authority has little or no real authority but plenty of responsibility. It can't even set its own tax rates but has to build a number of new houses proscribed by Government diktat.

The Mayor of Newham (350,000) is as powerless as the leader of Surrey (1.2 million) for all they are party political polar opposites, they all too often sing the same tune.

It's not even about transparency or accountability important as they are - it's about power, pure and simple. Proper English devolution away from Westminster to existing local authorities (no need for regional assemblies) backed by PR for local elections to try to break down the one-party states (whether Surrey, Newham or Sutton) and get people back into believing their vote/opinion counts not just as a consultation tick-box exercise but as a genuine part of decision making.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Good afternoon, my fellow eggs, small fries, and assorted crack hemps (though I trust we have no three-inch fools).
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,714
    Cyclefree for Prime Minister!
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187

Zephyr said:

Don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin.
    Good point - but you don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

Nigelb said:

OllyT said:

Fine.

Why does that not surprise me?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    kinabalu said:

you don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows.

A shitstorm that is about to engulf the PM...
  • Options
    OllyT said:

Nigelb said:

OllyT said:

Fine.

Why does that not surprise me?
    Why, what a question's that?
    Yet 'tis a question
    To me that know not
    To the games, my friend
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    stodge said:

Thanks, as always, Cyclefree for an interesting piece. My late mother always said the end of civilisation began when they got rid of the park keepers because it showed that once the cost of looking after the park was deemed more important than the unquantifiable beauty, sense of community and identity a well looked-after park provided, we were on the long slippery slope to destruction.

"The cost of everything, the value of nothing" - sums up societal and individual attitudes.

I'd argue the systematic centralisation of activities has been a huge factor in undermining democracy - Westminster is all, the local council or authority has little or no real authority but plenty of responsibility. It can't even set its own tax rates but has to build a number of new houses proscribed by Government diktat.

The Mayor of Newham (350,000) is as powerless as the leader of Surrey (1.2 million) for all they are party political polar opposites, they all too often sing the same tune.

It's not even about transparency or accountability important as they are - it's about power, pure and simple. Proper English devolution away from Westminster to existing local authorities (no need for regional assemblies) backed by PR for local elections to try to break down the one-party states (whether Surrey, Newham or Sutton) and get people back into believing their vote/opinion counts not just as a consultation tick-box exercise but as a genuine part of decision making.

The Lib Dems should have made PR for local government their electoral reform goal during the coalition years rather than the humiliation that was the AV referendum. But it goes to show that the Lib Dems are as self interested as any party.

Chance of greater influence at national level > Real change to the fiefdom of some local councils that just get run into the ground like Northamptonshire
  • Options
    Lowry bogies on the 8th.

Bet some of you plebs are well jell.

I don't even like golf!!!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited July 2019
    Thomas has blown up again...chances of tour defence over.
  • Options

Lowry bogies on the 8th.

To be honest that is your priviledge. It is not compulsory

But many of us who have played golf do like it
  • Options
    Anaphilip blown up....what a tour de france.
  • Options

Lowry bogies on the 8th.

Okay - no more spoilers from me.
  • Options
    Ienos have to put all their efforts into bernal.
  • Options
    juniusjunius Posts: 73
    Cyclefree's headers always make me think. I don't have to agree with what she says to appreciate the quality of what and how she writes. Does anyone know (Cyclefree herself would !) if she is published elsewhere - or is PB her only outlet ?
  • Options
    This has to be one of the best tour de frances in a long long time.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,208
    Dems need to ignore Trump and talk about ObamaCare.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    edited July 2019
    Great header Cyclefree. Some slight disagreements at the fringes, though. For example, I am not sure you can absolutely say that over-ruling (which is not ignoring) Parliament's wishes is undemocratic* if those wishes are in opposition to the stated and measured wishes of the electorate.

A leader sometimes has to decide between conflicting advise, and Parliament is not the sole, indeed, it is not the ultimate, source of democracy.

* even if it is unconstitutional, it does not automatically make it undemocratic
  • Options

Yep. At least 6 possible winners. Alaphillipe's really suffering from a comparatively weak team. If isolated again, he looked beatable today for the first time. Showed some naivety in trying to stay out in front then going backwards, instead of riding at his own pace.
    So much better when Sky aren't ahead and closing it down.
  • Options

Lowry bogies on the 8th.

Okay - no more spoilers from me.
    Its ok - watching it live.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Yep. At least 6 possible winners. Alaphillipe's really suffering from a comparatively weak team. If isolated again, he looked beatable today for the first time. Showed some naivety in trying to stay out in front then going backwards, instead of riding at his own pace.
    Pinot looks favourite.
  • Options

Best everyone ignores Trump
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,945
    tlg86 said:

Cicero said:

tlg86 said:

Personally I’m not nearly as worried about FPTP as @kyf_100 - if the Lib Dem’s win a majority on 35% (or less) of the vote, so be it. Likewise the Tories or TBP.

MPs had their chance to secure Brexit, they didn’t, and now they have to accept the consequences, whatever they may be.
    I know the old saying that democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what's for dinner, but with FPTP allowing a majority at 35%ish, it's not even that. It's one wolf eating two sheep.

It means that Brexit Party could take us out of the EU without a deal, or Corbyn could embark the country on the path to full socialism with the consent of just one third of the populace.

In saner times, FPTP works. But the stakes now are much higher. Because as Cyclefree points out, parties no longer believe their duty is to the country. It is to ideological purity. Is a no deal brexit to be foist on the entire country because one third of the population believes in it? Is hard left socialism?

The kind of policies now being espoused by the main parties should require majority consent. They don't, and that will be revealed as a major failiure of our democracy when a radical party takes control of the country under FPTP.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Pinot looks favourite.
    Wouldn't count any of top 6 out of it. Alaphillipe looked utterly spent at the end. Rest day comes right for him.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    kyf_100 said:

tlg86 said:

Cicero said:

tlg86 said:

I know the old saying that democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what's for dinner, but with FPTP allowing a majority at 35%ish, it's not even that. It's one wolf eating two sheep.

It means that Brexit Party could take us out of the EU without a deal, or Corbyn could embark the country on the path to full socialism with the consent of just one third of the populace.

In saner times, FPTP works. But the stakes now are much higher. Because as Cyclefree points out, parties no longer believe their duty is to the country. It is to ideological purity. Is a no deal brexit to be foist on the entire country because one third of the population believes in it? Is hard left socialism?

The kind of policies now being espoused by the main parties should require majority consent. They don't, and that will be revealed as a major failiure of our democracy when a radical party takes control of the country under FPTP.
    The basic traditional strength of FPTP is not that it “requires” Govts to act with the consent of a majority of the electorate. In fact almost by definition this is not required. It is that if Govt’s pursue radical change it will only likely endure if they can take significant support with them along the way. Because whereas many may ‘normally’ vote for their party of first choice, our system allow them to coalesce in opposition to unfavourable Govts. And kick them out.

• Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Pinot looks favourite.
    Wouldn't count any of top 6 out of it. Alaphillipe looked utterly spent at the end. Rest day comes right for him.
    Thomas is going to be need to get puffing from Froome's Asthma inhaler on the rest day if he stands any chance.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

These things hinge on your definition of radical.
    I, for instance, would contend both Thatcher and Blair’s governments were radical.
    Given the two party system now appears finished due, I would say, to the creeping towards each other of the last few governments, FPTP has become indefensible.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,991
    edited July 2019
    Final ConservativeHome Tory members' survey, Johnson 73% Hunt 27%.

94% of respondents said they had now voted

https://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2019/07/our-final-next-tory-leader-survey-johnson-73-per-cent-hunt-27-per-cent-say-those-members-who-have-voted.html
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. That, welcome to PB.

I disagree with your assertion entirely. The notion that FPTP is finished because of the last few governments (ie potentially governing parties) becoming too similar is clearly wrong given the current major parties include the reds going far left.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

kyf_100 said:

I, for instance, would contend both Thatcher and Blair’s governments were radical.
    Given the two party system now appears finished due, I would say, to the creeping towards each other of the last few governments, FPTP has become indefensible.
    My thoughts precisely. I like FPTP because you can change the government. If that means a very pro-EU Lib Dem government, I’ll accept it, even if I might not like it.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Dems need to talk about Obamacare and impeach Trump.
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    HYUFD said:

https://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2019/07/our-final-next-tory-leader-survey-johnson-73-per-cent-hunt-27-per-cent-say-those-members-who-have-voted.html

What happens if it is wrong by 10% or more ? 65-35 ?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    An interesting thread header, but what will the long term democratic implications of Brexit (As I expect) not being delivered in any way shape or form.
    I think it'll show fundamentally that no decision taken actually has to take place, particularly if the people who took the original decision are the "little people" for want of a better word. It might be the right decision, but like the abysmal moral hazard caused by the 2008 GFC bailouts (Which was probably fundamental to both the Brexit decision and Trump) will have profound unintended consequences into the future.
    If Brexit does not go ahead in a soft form in the next couple of years, we could still head to leaving without a deal in the next decade or so - if TBP trump the Tories as Boris the bluffer "shakes with fear upon hearing the consequences of no deal" we could yet head to ship wreck waters.
    It took 8 years from the crash to Trump, who knows where we might be from the non implementation of a soft Brexit ?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    tlg86 said:

kyf_100 said:

My thoughts precisely. I like FPTP because you can change the government. If that means a very pro-EU Lib Dem government, I’ll accept it, even if I might not like it.
    You mean you don't like the European system where it's the same sort of party, save a change in coalition partners, for decades? :p
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    stodge said:

Stodge, have your read Holacracy, or Reinventing Organizations? I think you'd enjoy both as another view of how groups should make decisions as locally as possible, but in a scalable manner.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Still a Boris landslide and a bigger margin than IDS beat Clarke, if not quite as big as Cameron beat Davis whereas it is a bigger margin than that currently
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115

HYUFD said:

Or 65-20-15 spoiled?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Shouldn't you be representing pb at the Epping Ongar Railway Real Ale Festival?
    https://www.eorailway.co.uk/events/real-ale-festival/
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274

HYUFD said:

Surely he’s already booked, having to man the Start the War Coalition stall?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I did the town show at the beginning of the month but no, off to see the new Lion King film now.

Sunil maybe there though technically it is in North Weald not Epping, although there is a bus to it from Epping Station
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,850
    tlg86 said:

This is one of those fallacies put about by proponents of FPTP. It doesn't stop "radical" Governments if the radical message is genuinely popular. Nor does it prevent changes of Government.

My guess is as we have seen elsewhere there would be a centre-right grouping of parties and a centre-left grouping of parties, perhaps one or two moving between the two blocs and parties sitting wholly outside the blocs. That's called plural democracy and it's no bad thing.

Each party would be an ideologically tighter and more distinct grouping as the Conservative, Labour and Liberal Democrat voting coalitions separated into more clearly defined groups.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Surely he’s already booked, having to man the Start the War Coalition stall?
    No, that is next weekend
  • Options

Mr. That, welcome to PB.

I disagree with your assertion entirely. The notion that FPTP is finished because of the last few governments (ie potentially governing parties) becoming too similar is clearly wrong given the current major parties include the reds going far left.

Thank you for your kind welcome.

I fear I failed to make my meaning entirely clear.
    I meant that the coming together of the two largest parties meant that many potential voters did not want to vote for a “Tory-lite” Labour Party or a “quasi-socialist” Conservative one. Therefore other parties have grown to capture a significant part of the electorate and this widening of choice meant that no party stood a realistic chance of capturing enough of the electoral vote to be a real “party of government” any more. A government with as low a percentage of the national vote as we are likely to see next time will struggle to be able to say truthfully it has been popularly elected and every policy will be seized upon by opponents saying “You don’t have a democratic mandate with only X% of the vote”.
    I hope this makes my meaning clearer.
This discussion has been closed.