Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Sounding the alarm. Britain’s democracy is under direct threat

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    edited July 2019
    Gina Miller joins Sir John Major in saying she will take the next PM to court if they try to prorogue Parliament to force through a No Deal Brexit

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48980408
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980
    HYUFD said:
    She's had her time away at the camp, and we can report that the re-education programme has been successful.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

Yet you argue that “No Deal” will be “smooth and orderly” and somehow result in a “deep and special partnership”!

No I don't, I still want a Brexit Deal but as the current Commons clearly refuses to pass one to respect the Leave vote in 2016 No Deal it will have to be unless the Tories can get a majority to pass a Deal before October 31st.

The Tories manifesto commitment was clear we would leave the EU, ideally in a smooth or orderly fashion but nonetheless to Leave regardless
    There’s no “ideally” about it. Delivering a smooth and orderly transition was an explicit commitment. And not by an arbitrarily imposed deadline either.
    'We will take Britain out of the European Union' was an explicit Tory manifesto commitment, now that could be in a 'smooth and orderly' way with May's Deal but Parliament thrice rejected that so it will have to be with the most 'smooth and orderly' managed No Deal instead if Parliament still refuses to vote for the Withdrawal Agreement
    If Parliament won't vote for it, that is, by definition, evidence that the Tory manifesto (even as twisted to support your interpretation) didn't have a majority to pass. You acknowledge that for every other thing in it, so it is illogical to claim that this is somehow different.

There will have been Tory MPs who made firm pledges to their constituents that they would only leave with a deal. They are under no obligation to support No deal, and that would defy the basis on which they were elected.

Name me one Tory MP who made a personal manifesto commitment to their constituents to vote against Brexit unless it was with a Deal? Or who indeed promised to vote against Brexit Deal or No Deal like Grieve?
    Name one who made a manifesto commitment that the deadline was 31st October, Deal or No deal.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    HYUFD said:

Gina Miller joins Sir John Major in saying she will take the next PM to court if they try to prorogue Parliament to force through a No Deal Brexit

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48980408

Great news and she has the brilliant Lord Pannick QC on the team . Love Gina Miller , an absolute hero . Go Gina !
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Geto Bebb not seeking re-election at the GE

Good decision as he has annoyed many people and not just over brexit

However, he must be a possible vonc supporter as he refused to vote for either Boris or Hunt

It is my constituency

Will he resign the Tory Whip? I know he is ex-Plaid.
  • Options
    With MPs not seeking re election what happens if there’s a snap election .

How would parties get a new candidate in time.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    nico67 said:

Not unusual. Many candidates get selected at the last moment. Particularly true in 2017!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    England going to be chasing 300+, maybe 350, the way things are going.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

nico67 said:

Not unusual. Many candidates get selected at the last moment. Particularly true in 2017!
    Thanks . I suppose the problem for the Tories is those with little to lose could cause a lot of trouble .
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,290

Certainly Kane Williamson is looking very ominous.
  • Options
    What a review!
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    edited July 2019
    ydoethur said:

Looks a good batting pitch, but I think we missed our opportunity early on.
    Ominous indeed.

That was exceptionally well timed.
    I think I’ll give up posting and go back to watching.

Dharma again.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Crap umpire strikes again....the david lammy of umpires.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Looks a good batting pitch, but I think we missed our opportunity early on.
    Ominous indeed.

That was exceptionally well timed.
    I think I’ll give up posting and go back to watching.

Dharma again.
    Neesham's still there. If he goes big it could still be 300+ and no score over 250 is a gimme against Boult and Ferguson.

Edit - I meant Nicholls, of course!
  • Options
    Nit that it would have made a difference in that review but is there a reason hotspot isn't used anymore?
  • Options

In fairness to Dharmesena I thought that review was more desperation than expectation.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

Yet you argue that “No Deal” will be “smooth and orderly” and somehow result in a “deep and special partnership”!

No I don't, I still want a Brexit Deal but as the current Commons clearly refuses to pass one to respect the Leave vote in 2016 No Deal it will have to be unless the Tories can get a majority to pass a Deal before October 31st.

The Tories manifesto commitment was clear we would leave the EU, ideally in a smooth or orderly fashion but nonetheless to Leave regardless
    There’s no “ideally” about it. Delivering a smooth and orderly transition was an explicit commitment. And not by an arbitrarily imposed deadline either.
    'We will take Britain out of the European Union' was an explicit Tory manifesto commitment, now that could be in a 'smooth and orderly' way with May's Deal but Parliament thrice rejected that so it will have to be with the most 'smooth and orderly' managed No Deal instead if Parliament still refuses to vote for the Withdrawal Agreement
    If Parliament won't vote for it, that is, by definition, evidence that the Tory manifesto (even as twisted to support your interpretation) didn't have a majority to pass. You acknowledge that for every other thing in it, so it is illogical to claim that this is somehow different.

There will have been Tory MPs who made firm pledges to their constituents that they would only leave with a deal. They are under no obligation to support No deal, and that would defy the basis on which they were elected.

Name me one Tory MP who made a personal manifesto commitment to their constituents to vote against Brexit unless it was with a Deal? Or who indeed promised to vote against Brexit Deal or No Deal like Grieve?
    Name one who made a manifesto commitment that the deadline was 31st October, Deal or No deal.
    The Tory manifesto was to take Britain out of the EU, anyone who has voted against the Withdrawal Agreement and against No Deal has refused to do so
  • Options

Nit that it would have made a difference in that review but is there a reason hotspot isn't used anymore?

It isn't very reliable. For example, it would have given that not out. It was only used because Snicko used to take too long to set up. Now it can be made available quickly, Hotspot's been ditched.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,956
    tlg86 said:

kyf_100 said:

Foxy said:

kyf_100 said:

It's easy to use "but democracy" to support any position you want.

You could argue democracy was under threat from the moment Parliament decided to do everything it could to avoid carrying out the result of the 2016 referendum.

Proroguing Parliament to force no deal is also, as Mr Meeks points out, an outrage to democracy.

But what I want to know is, if we have a second referendum, at which the result is narrowly to remain - say 52/48, then a year after the second referendum we have a general election at which the Brexit Party wins a majority with 40% of the vote on a manifesto pledge to leave more immediately, do they have a democratic mandate to do so?

Yes, just as a post Brexit election delivering a mandate to a party committed to rejoin is democratic. We are a parliamentary democracy.
    While I'm inclined to agree with you and everyone else who answered yes, with one party committed to leaving the EU immediately deal or no deal (probably the latter), the threshold for achieving a no-deal-diamond-hard-brexit is probably only about 40% of the country at the next GE, perhaps even less under a four way split.

Technically it's how our democracy works, but I think most would be howling with outrage if it came to pass.
    Labour won a 66 seat majority on 35% of the vote in 2005. We've since had a referendum at which 68% supported First Past The Post.

Whatever the outcome of the next GE, there can be no complaints.
    Are we really saying we're comfortable with the idea that if 35% of the population are committed to and vote for no-deal-diamond-hard brexit at the next GE, then that's what we do?

At that point I would suggest that democracy in the UK is completely broken. Doubly so if it comes after a second referendum where there is a narrow majority for remaining.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259

HYUFD said:
    She's had her time away at the camp, and we can report that the re-education programme has been successful.
    Amber Rudd, what was it about Boris Johnson's forthcoming Cabinet of only Brexiteers that made you change your mind on Brexit and 2nd vote?
  • Options
    edited July 2019

It was expensive. also there is some suggestion that it was flawed, which batsman putting various tape on the edges that meant it didn't show up.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    ydoethur said:

Your efforts to England cricket will be remembered when the next honours are announced.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    kyf_100 said:

tlg86 said:

kyf_100 said:

Foxy said:

kyf_100 said:

It's easy to use "but democracy" to support any position you want.

You could argue democracy was under threat from the moment Parliament decided to do everything it could to avoid carrying out the result of the 2016 referendum.

Proroguing Parliament to force no deal is also, as Mr Meeks points out, an outrage to democracy.

But what I want to know is, if we have a second referendum, at which the result is narrowly to remain - say 52/48, then a year after the second referendum we have a general election at which the Brexit Party wins a majority with 40% of the vote on a manifesto pledge to leave more immediately, do they have a democratic mandate to do so?

Yes, just as a post Brexit election delivering a mandate to a party committed to rejoin is democratic. We are a parliamentary democracy.
    While I'm inclined to agree with you and everyone else who answered yes, with one party committed to leaving the EU immediately deal or no deal (probably the latter), the threshold for achieving a no-deal-diamond-hard-brexit is probably only about 40% of the country at the next GE, perhaps even less under a four way split.

Technically it's how our democracy works, but I think most would be howling with outrage if it came to pass.
    Labour won a 66 seat majority on 35% of the vote in 2005. We've since had a referendum at which 68% supported First Past The Post.

Whatever the outcome of the next GE, there can be no complaints.
    Are we really saying we're comfortable with the idea that if 35% of the population are committed to and vote for no-deal-diamond-hard brexit at the next GE, then that's what we do?

At that point I would suggest that democracy in the UK is completely broken. Doubly so if it comes after a second referendum where there is a narrow majority for remaining.
    MPs have had plenty of opportunities to avoid a no-deal Brexit. If they can't see what we can see as a possibility, that's their problem.
  • Options
    Will a Boris Cabinet still try and push through No Deal Brexit on 31st Oct if we are at war with Iran?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Your efforts to England cricket will be remembered when the next honours are announced.
    As Guinevere said, once a knight is enough.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

In fairness to Dharmesena I thought that review was more desperation than expectation.
    I did except for how certain the players were. No hesitation whatsoever they knew. I couldn't see or hear why but they did.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

The Tory manifesto was to take Britain out of the EU, anyone who has voted against the Withdrawal Agreement and against No Deal has refused to do so
    What it actually said was:
    "Theresa May's Conservatives will deliver: The best possible deal for Britain as we leave the European Union delivered by a smooth, orderly Brexit."
  • Options

ydoethur said:

I did except for how certain the players were. No hesitation whatsoever they knew. I couldn't see or hear why but they did.
    Yes, but that's not a guarantee. Stuart Broad is always convinced even if there is six feet of pure daylight between bat and ball.
  • Options
    I was thinking - when was the last time live ODI cricket was on free to air? Was it the 1999 World Cup?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I was thinking - when was the last time live ODI cricket was on free to air? Was it the 1999 World Cup?

The domestic 50 over knock-out cup was on Channel 4 until 2005.
  • Options
    I'll take that one too, thanks.
  • Options
    England wicket, Nicholls out
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Knighthood do?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

Yes, but that's not ODI cricket.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,770

HYUFD said:
    Amber Rudd, what was it about Boris Johnson's forthcoming Cabinet of only Brexiteers that made you change your mind on Brexit and 2nd vote?
    I guess she thinks it very likely she will lose her seat at the next GE and unlikely to get senior roles in the future so staying in cabinet important financially and politicially.
  • Options

Will a Boris Cabinet still try and push through No Deal Brexit on 31st Oct if we are at war with Iran?

Yes.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Chris said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

'We will take Britain out of the European Union' was an explicit Tory manifesto commitment, now that could be in reement

"Theresa May's Conservatives will deliver: The best possible deal for Britain as we leave the European Union delivered by a smooth, orderly Brexit."
    Page 7 of the Conservative Party manifesto 2017 'We will get on with the job and take Britain out of the European Union.'

https://s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/conservative-party-manifestos/Forward+Together+-+Our+Plan+for+a+Stronger+Britain+and+a+More+Prosperous....pdf

Ideally it was to be with May's Deal, the best possible deal negotiated by the Conservative leader in 2017 in her view, MPs rejected that so it will have to be with a smooth, orderly and managed No Deal Brexit instead if MPs have not voted for the Deal by October 31st
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

Yes, but that's not ODI cricket.
    Sorry, read it as one day cricket - 1999 final is probably right.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Knighthood do?
    It's Ross Taylor who'll be in line for a knighthood when he gets 115.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,130
    viewcode said:
    Only that bastion of implacable moral certainty & principle Ruth Davidson left. Can we have a sweepstake on how many minutes after Boris wins she tweets her support for him?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,004

Having a war, other than by accident, doesn't really seem Boris' style.

S/Lt (Acting) Mordaunt has despatched a T45 to Operation Persian Uncertainty to spice things up though so it might have already kicked off before Boris assumes his final form.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Yes, but that's not a guarantee. Stuart Broad is always convinced even if there is six feet of pure daylight between bat and ball.
    Shane Warne was the absolute extreme example of that. The ball could hit the pads 6 foot away from off stump and he was 100% certain it was a wicket.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Shane Warne was the absolute extreme example of that. The ball could hit the pads 6 foot away from off stump and he was 100% certain it was a wicket.
    Shane Watson's LBW reviews were of course the best!
  • Options
    edited July 2019

Yes, he will just ask Trump to help invade France and Belgium as the price of his support.

I am sure John Bolton would oblige
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

Your usual absurd nonsense. Words crafted carefully to exempt those who voted Brexit down but support a no deal exit but not those who support a different type of deal. Shameful.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079

If we haven't left, the sight of Iranians chanting "Death to the EU" might make Brexiteers think we're on the wrong side.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

It was on the manifesto leaving comes before wars for goodness sake
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
    HYUFD said:

Yes, he will just ask Trump to help invade France and Belgium as the price of his support.

I am sure John Bolton would oblige
    The famous HYUFD sense of humour? 🤨
  • Options
    Where are the politicians with principles they would stand down for?

“Both Labour and Conservative MPs are confronted with a career- and character-defining question, and it grows sharper by the week. When do they say to themselves that enough is enough? Where is the point when it becomes indefensible to stay within parties that are so abhorrent to their first-order principles? They will have to talk to their consciences, assuming that they can remember where they left them”

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jul/14/where-are-the-uk-politicians-with-principles-they-would-stand-down-for
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    I thought the header by Alastair was very well put together.

Brexiteers keep going on about the 17.4 M who voted for Brexit but what about the 50M citizens who did not? I think given MPs have a fresher mandate than the 2016 referendum, we should be taking as much time as they think we need to implement the best strategy. If that means going back to the people with the real options: so be it.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Where are the politicians with principles they would stand down for?

“Both Labour and Conservative MPs are confronted with a career- and character-defining question, and it grows sharper by the week. When do they say to themselves that enough is enough? Where is the point when it becomes indefensible to stay within parties that are so abhorrent to their first-order principles? They will have to talk to their consciences, assuming that they can remember where they left them”

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jul/14/where-are-the-uk-politicians-with-principles-they-would-stand-down-for

I was decrying the lack of honour and duty in our modern politicians on here the other day, and then, lo and behold, Rudd sells out her principles for a possible place in the Cabinet.
  • Options
    The only way Rashid is going to take a wicket bowling like this is if somebody treads on his own stumps.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

Yet”!

No I ess
    There’s.
    '
    If

Page 7 of the Conservative Party manifesto 2017 'We will get on with the job and take Britain out of the European Union.'

https://s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/conservative-party-manifestos/Forward+Together+-+Our+Plan+for+a+Stronger+Britain+and+a+More+Prosperous....pdf

Ideally it was to be with May's Deal, the best possible deal negotiated by the Conservative leader in 2017 in her view, MPs rejected that so it will have to be with a smooth, orderly and managed No Deal Brexit instead if MPs have not voted for the Deal by October 31st
    ”We need to deliver a smooth and orderly departure from the European Union and forge a deep and special partnership with our friends and allies across Europe. ”

“The government’s agenda will not be allowed to drift to the right. Our starting point is that we should take decisions on the basis of what works”

“As part of the agreement we strike, we want to make sure that there are as few barriers to trade and investment as possible. ”

“Conservatives will deliver the best possible deal for Britain as we leave the European Union delivered by a smooth, orderly Brexit.”

“We want to ensure our departure is smooth and orderly and to agree a deep and special partnership with the 27 remaining member states.”

“We want fair, orderly negotiations, minimising disruption and giving as much certainty as possible”

“We believe it is necessary to agree the terms of our future partnership alongside our withdrawal, reaching agreement on both within the two years allowed by Article 50 of the Treaty on European Union.”
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Knighthood do?
    It's Ross Taylor who'll be in line for a knighthood when he gets 115.
    Took longer than I was happy with, but I'll take it.
  • Options
    Why don't the Corbynistas 'no confidence' Watson? Surely that's possible.
  • Options
    Guptil and Nicholls have a lot of explaining to do. Still a poor decision from Erasmus, though.
  • Options
    And if they didnt have an antisemite enabling terrorist supporting uncle thickie as leader they would be 20 points ahead....
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

Yet”!

No I ess
    There’s.
    '
    If

Name me one Tory MP who made a personal manifesto commitment eve?
    The Tory manifesto was to take Britain out of the EU, has refused to do so
    What it actually orderly Brexit."

Ideally it was to be that so it will have to be with a smooth, orderly and managed No Deal Brexit instead if MPs have not voted for the Deal by October 31st
    ”We need to deliver a smooth and orderly departure from the European Union and forge a deep and special partnership with our friends and allies across Europe. ”

“The government’s agenda will not be allowed to drift to the right. Our starting point is that we should take decisions on the basis of what works”

“As part of the agreement we strike, we want to make sure that there are as few barriers to trade and investment as possible. ”

“Conservatives will deliver the best possible deal for Britain as we leave the European Union delivered by a smooth, orderly Brexit.”

“We want to ensure our departure is smooth and orderly and to agree a deep and special partnership with the 27 remaining member states.”

“We want fair, orderly negotiations, minimising disruption and giving as much certainty as possible”

“We believe it is necessary to agree the terms of our future partnership alongside our withdrawal, reaching agreement on both within the two years allowed by Article 50 of the Treaty on European Union.”
    Yes and the Withdrawal Agreement was produced for Brexit in a smooth and orderly way alongside the political declaration and most Tory MPs voted for it.

However diehard Remainer Tory MPs joined the opposition and voted it down so the manifesto commitment on page 7 'We will get on with the job and take Britain out of the European Union' still has to be delivered regardless.

Nowhere in the Tory manifesto does it say they will keep Britain in the EU without a Deal, however on page 7 it makes clear they will take Britain out of the EU without qualification
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Main movement there Tories to Brexit Party confirming once again the Tories need Boris as Leader to win

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1148312432768684032?s=20
  • Options
    I am not sure why england dont go for juggler and bring archer back.
  • Options

I think they would need 20% of MPs and MEPs to nominate a challenger.

Trouble is (a) they're not 20% of the party and (b) there's no candidate other than Corbyn himself who is popular with all of them.
  • Options
    Neesham already looking very dangerous here.
  • Options

A meteor could be about to hit and we’d still be hearing will of the people blah blah .

• Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,229
    HYUFD said:

If Johnson prorogues parliament then I predict we'll see the biggest mass protests and demonstrations in UK history. Surely even Boris Johnson isn't daft or egocentric enough to think that millions taking to the streets to protest against the suspension of democracy on his watch would look good for him?

Unless 18 million people demonstrate I doubt Boris will care less given 17 million people voted to Leave the EU and he will have delivered on that vote
    Wow! You guys really don't care about the UK, or even the Conservative Party do you?

The Tories will be eviscerated.

Good.
  • Options
    If England win today, their fielding coach deserves a 50% bonus.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,828

And if they didnt have an antisemite enabling terrorist supporting uncle thickie as leader they would be 20 points ahead....
    Amen
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Guptil and Nicholls have a lot of explaining to do. Still a poor decision from Erasmus, though.

That's the same issue England had in the Semi though by that point it didn't matter anymore. The idea of reviews is to reverse clear and obvious mistakes not wishful thinking. Reviewing plumb LBWs is just wishful thinking and then squandered your chance for later.
  • Options
    Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

If Johnson prorogues parliament then I predict we'll see the biggest mass protests and demonstrations in UK history. Surely even Boris Johnson isn't daft or egocentric enough to think that millions taking to the streets to protest against the suspension of democracy on his watch would look good for him?

Unless 18 million people demonstrate I doubt Boris will care less given 17 million people voted to Leave the EU and he will have delivered on that vote
    Wow! You guys really don't care about the UK, or even the Conservative Party do you?

The Tories will be eviscerated.

Good.
    Country before party.

If the Tories get eviscerated so be it they will have done the right thing first.
  • Options

It's always the poor bloody juggler that cops it for it....
  • Options

There's your answer. Pace bowling means pacey boundaries.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

Lol....bloody autocorrect.
  • Options

Lol....bloody autocorrect.
    Was it a balls-up?
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    edited July 2019
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

Yet”!

No I ess
    There’s.
    '
    If

https://s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/conservative-party-manifestos/Forward+Together+-

Ideally it was to be that so it will have to be with a smooth, orderly and managed No Deal Brexit instead if MPs have not voted for the Deal by October 31st

Yes and the Withdrawal Agreement was produced for Brexit in a smooth and orderly way alongside the political declaration and most Tory MPs voted for it.

However diehard Remainer Tory MPs joined the opposition and voted it down so the manifesto commitment on page 7 'We will get on with the job and take Britain out of the European Union' still has to be delivered regardless.

Nowhere in the Tory manifesto does it say they will keep Britain in the EU without a Deal, however on page 7 it makes clear they will take Britain out of the EU without qualification
    "However diehard Remainer Tory MPs joined the opposition and voted it down so the manifesto commitment on page 7"

HYUFD: Not only do you make selective choices with polls but it seems also with votes. Remainer Tories ?

How did the ERG vote ? How can you be so blatantly selective ?
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    viewcode said:
    I wonder how many remainers who have stuck with the Conservatives so far will think that if even someone like Rudd isn't reliable, what is the point?

I'll be meeting one at a social do tonight. I'll ask him.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983
    HYUFD said:

Main movement there Tories to Brexit Party confirming once again the Tories need Boris as Leader to win

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1148312432768684032?s=20
    Keep clutching your comfort blanket, out of date, polling...
  • Options

How did the ERG vote ? How can you be so blatantly selective ?

But the ERG appear to be closet remainers, representing the Deep State.

(As an aside, would be hilarious if Baker, Francois, Mogg et al were deselected for failing to vote to leave when they had the chance.)
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Your GCMG.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

17 minutes. Not bad.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

Your GCMG.
    I hope not. I'm not sure I could deal with the Twitter tirade from trump that comes with it!
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Its a shame tymal mills back means he will never fulfill his potential. Imagine england having three 95mph bowlers!!!
  • Options
    De Grandhomme is dangerous. Scores quickly and safely. If he stays for seven overs New Zealand will have set a tough target.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

De Grandhomme is dangerous. Scores quickly and safely. If he stays for seven overs New Zealand will have set a tough target.

Cricwiz model has england 84%.... absolute nonsense.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

A meteor could be about to hit and we’d still be hearing will of the people blah blah .

nico67 said:

If we hadn’t left by the time it hit we wouldn’t be able to get into the land of the perfect opinion poll heaven
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Cricwiz model has england 84%.... absolute nonsense.
    Google has England 79% which seems more realistic but even then I'm not sure about it.
  • Options
    An Archer wicket or two would be useful.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

viewcode said:
    Only that bastion of implacable moral certainty & principle Ruth Davidson left. Can we have a sweepstake on how many minutes after Boris wins she tweets her support for him?
    What a world we live in, when agreeing to support your party leader after he's won an election with the support of the majority of the members, can somehow be spun as a negative.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

Apparently not:

https://twitter.com/maxshanly/status/1150102353736949761
  • Options
    nico67 said:

I'm so fed up of Brexit I'd vote for the meteor.
  • Options

nico67 said:

I'm so fed up of Brexit I'd vote for the meteor.
    Couldn't possibly make a worse mess of things than Corbyn or Johnson.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

Yet”!

No I ess
    There’s.
    '
    If

t

You really have no integrity, do you?

The handful of Tory remainers who opposed the deal were cancelled out by the handful of Labour leavers who backed it. The reason it sunk, as before, was because the ERG so-called ‘Spartans’ plus the DUP opposed.

Until you are willing to face the truth that Brexit was sunk by its most fanatical adherents, you won’t have any respect in here.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

Yet”!

No I ess
    There’s.
    '
    If

t

“We want to ensure our departure is smooth and orderly and to agree a deep and special partnership with the 27 remaining member states

The handful of Tory remainers who opposed the deal were cancelled out by the handful of Labour leavers who backed it. The reason it sunk, as before, was because the ERG so-called ‘Spartans’ plus the DUP opposed.

Until you are willing to face the truth that Brexit was sunk by its most fanatical adherents, you won’t have any respect in here.
    Why can’t he just call them bastards?
  • Options
    England getting nowhere at considerable pace here. Still think 250 is on and will be tough.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

Your GCMG.
    I hope not. I'm not sure I could deal with the Twitter tirade from trump that comes with it!
    Speaking of Trump he's being unambiguously racist on Twitter this morning.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1150381394234941448

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1150381395078000643

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1150381396994723841
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

The reason it sunk was because well over 300 MPs opposed it. Each and every MP who rejected it is responsible for rejecting it.

If they can live with the eventual alternative so be it. If not then they screwed up.
  • Options
    This poll is suggestive that the upward trend for Labour might be real. Interesting to ponder how it would translate into seats if accompanied by remainer tactical voting, but no similar calculation by leavers.

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1150379214685782018
This discussion has been closed.