Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Two new polls this afternoon with very different shares for LA

Comments

• Options
    ZephyrZephyr Posts: 438
    Nigelb said:

...chronic British short-termism, inadequate management, sloth, low skills, a culture of easy gratification and underinvestment in both human and physical capital and infrastructure."

- Boris, 2013.

A remarkable piece of self-analysis by him.

Sadly never acted on.

I think you are missing the point. in that one paragraph Boris has succinctly summed up everything weak about euro scepticism and Brexit .
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

Just caught up with Boris vs Neill.

Can we give a knighthood urgently to the Scotsman.

Boris has been exposed as the complete disaster and albatross he will be for the Tories.

Good luck Blues! You'll need it.

+1 Boris is pure poison for the Tories. The sensible ones will desert them like me and I doubt Labour leave voters will come to the rescue!
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,280

Boris has been exposed as the complete disaster and albatross he will be for the Tories.

Boris was a disaster - massive car crash continuing tonight when he was heckled by a party member at a hustings
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,204
    _Anazina_ said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

Have the police considered asking Isabel Oakeshott who the leaker is?

Dangerous precedent. That's not to say that they shouldn't do it, it's just that if they do it once, they'll probably have to do it again in the future.
    Given past form Oakeshott will shop the source to save her own skin.
    That would be a shame. Oakeshott being locked up for perverting the course of justice would be quite funny.
    Funny? Not really. A journalist can and should go to jail to protect her sources. However, the odious Oakeshott has no such honour.
    The right to protect sources is well established. Ironically in EU for example.

https://www.nuj.org.uk/news/echr-judgement-surveillance-journalists/
  • Options

Boris was a disaster - massive car crash continuing tonight when he was heckled by a party member at a hustings
    I loved the line from Andrew: "You can bluster all you like at hustings, but I want answers"
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,150

Boris is lucky. Something will come along to save his and the party's bacon. The rest of us will probably pay some terrible price for his good fortune.
  • Options
    Roger said:

FF43 said:

This interview is a total car crash for Boris

I've been listening to the tone more than the content. Oddly, I don't agree with the consensus. Johnson succeeds in sounding more measured than Andrew Neil, who sounds arrogant and frustrated. That may be because I've never liked Neil but I suspect that many viewers may agree. Neil appeals to people like PBers who are seriously interested in politics.
    I think so too. If you believe in Brexit you will likely buy Johnson's message.
    Yes. Johnson was full of wind but if they haven't picked that up by now I doubt that interview changed anything. Neil was too hectoring. I'd have preferred him to ask why he lied on the side of bus and repeat the question every couple of minutes. Then choose another lie and do the same. He puffs up like an ugly fish when he lies.
    The only problem with that is the Courts have just found that he did not lie on the side of a bus

And I am no fan of Boris
  • Options

The blustering albatross is about to be our PM.

Good luck (but not your fault Big_G!)

I notice that he attacked the BBC for being negative.

We are reduced to pinching ourselves hard enough and believing in fairies and unicorns because they are just, well, they just are there, honestly....
  • Options

Boris is lucky. Something will come along to save his and the party's bacon. The rest of us will probably pay some terrible price for his good fortune.
    Corbyn !!!
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,186

ydoethur said:

_Anazina_ said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

Have the police considered asking Isabel Oakeshott who the leaker is?

Dangerous precedent. That's not to say that they shouldn't do it, it's just that if they do it once, they'll probably have to do it again in the future.
    Given past form Oakeshott will shop the source to save her own skin.
    That would be a shame. Oakeshott being locked up for perverting the course of justice would be quite funny.
    Funny? Not really. A journalist can and should go to jail to protect her sources. However, the odious Oakeshott has no such honour.
    Oakeshott is no more a journalist than I am the King of Saudi Arabia.
    How many (concurrent) wives do you have?
    None.

And that's not a bad pun on 'nun.'
  • Options
    Based on that performance, Boris is going to be the worst PM since at least the Second World War.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,055

Nadine Dorries was obviously watching a different interview.

https://twitter.com/nadinedorries/status/1149750726182281216?s=21
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962

Based on that performance, Boris is going to be the worst PM since at least the Second World War.

May (and Brown) will be pleased. :p
  • Options
    That is the last interview Boris will do.

Trump style, he will only engage with friendly media from now on.
  • Options

Corbyn !!!
    Yep, the bearded wonder has already saved his skin!
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Just watched the Andrew Neil interview with Boris. He was appalling and I've a great sense of foreboding. What a shit.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    justin124 said:

Pulpstar said:

FF43 said:

I suspect on topic that self declared Green voters are substantially young people in cities who haven't voted before. Some polling companies believe them when they say they will vote next time; others don't.

If that was the explanation and Yougov had the greens say at 3 it would transpose to (Sub 6)
    26 Con
    21 Lab
    22 Brex
    20 LD

So the Lab figure is still wildly out from Survation whereas the rest are closish
    I don't believe it to be at all likely that a 6% drop in the Green vote would boost the Tories by 2% and Labour by just 1%!
    It is not just Survation either - none of Opinium, Comres, & BMG have Labour lower than 25%.
    The polls are all over the place. Steering a middle course with an exponential moving average (EMA) gives:

Con 23.9% Lab 24.3% LD 18.6% BXP 20.0% Grn 6.9%

Seats

Con 207
    Lab 244
    LD 63
    BXP 63
    PC 3
    Grn 1
    SNP 51
    NI 18

Con + BXP can't form government at 270.
    Lab + LD + SNP can form government at 358 (362 incl PC and Grn)
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187

I thought Neil spent far too long on the Darroch point.

But pretty good interview on the whole.

It was the last chance to treat Johnson with open contempt (since that will not be acceptable when he is PM) and the chance was not spurned.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962

Just watched the Andrew Neil interview with Boris. He was appalling and I've a great sense of foreboding. What a shit.

I didn't know you were one to post from your porcelain throne. Or was that a comment about Boris? :D:p
  • Options
    When I was a teenager/student I hated Thatcher, as did most of my peers.

But, I tell you what, she would have known what "paragraph 5c" was in that trade deal.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

That is the last interview Boris will do.

Trump style, he will only engage with friendly media from now on.

Yup. What a shit.
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,302

I expect him to be the shortest too... (less than 119 days)
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

I thought Neil spent far too long on the Darroch point.

But pretty good interview on the whole.

It was the last chance to treat Johnson with open contempt (since that will not be acceptable when he is PM) and the chance was not spurned.
    It was a masterclass on interviewing and being prepped.

Only Eddie Mair comes close.

As tomorrow's R4 Today show will no doubt demonstrate.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

We are looking at the worst PM since at least the War and probably a great deal longer.

Tories have lost their minds in a Brexit ideologue frenzy.

Thankfully, he may only be the PM until mid-Sept.

I doubt any of the 20 or 30 never Boris Tory MPs will have switched based on that.

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Zephyr said:

Front page of tomorrow's Mirror.

Everything that is bad about the British press in one story. Like they are trying to say something without actually saying it. Sue them. Character assassination.
    Sounds like a firm of lawyers. Freed Perv & Woody
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,413
    I didn't see the whole interview, but the part I saw, Boris did well under tough questioning.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

The Conservative and Unionist Party are about to single-handedly cripple the Union.
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

We can only hope.

I mean he could hardly stop smirking as they discussed UK going down the pan.
  • Options

I didn't see the whole interview, but the part I saw, Boris did well under tough questioning.

You are Lyton Crosby and I claim my $5 AUS.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    rcs1000 said:

Forgetting whether the EU will agree to it or not for one moment, and the EU would need to agree to it for it to work, do you think a 10 year transition would be a good or bad idea?

Personally, I think it's an excellent idea. It means there is no need for the backstop. It means the UK has time for a proper discussion about what relationship it wants with the EU.

I'd be all in favour.
    Indeed. A week is a long time in politics, a decade is an extremely long time. Farage and co would likely scream betrayal but to me this seems to resolve everything. Soft Brexiteers get a smooth and soft decade during which they can seek to make that permanent, Hard Brexiteers get a chance to negotiate a proper FTA exit. Ireland gets an open border. EU maintains integrity.

I dont see the downside to this.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Re: Boris and obfustication. Some argue he's being clever and trying to keep his options open. I think the reality is that their are very few political questions to which he has really devoted much thought to developing a settled opinion. He is basically a classic professional opinion column journalist, prepared to deliver a column to order to satisfy his editor. Because he has taken little time to develop serious opinions he is very bad when put on the spot. He doesn't have the underlying confidence in his instinctive opinions that come with serious underlying research and thought, and therefore is desperate to avoid committing himself on anything. The only exceptions are where he thinks that strong commitments are absolutely necessary to securing votes, but i'm not entirely convinced that those commitments will survive confrontation with reality. He has committed himself to Oct 31st EU departure come what may because he thinks it will make him PM. If confronted with the reality that actually following that through may kill off the prospects of securing millions of votes in future election will he really follow through on that commitment? Especially if he thinks that a few months delay might result in a 'palatable' Brexit anyway?
  • Options

The Conservative and Unionist Party are about to single-handedly cripple the Union.
    The Conservative and Unionist Party died recently. It is no longer with us.

At some point someone with an ounce of decency will rename the new outfit.

It doesn't conserve and it is not interested in the uk union.

I humbly suggest TeaParty.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,045

Nad's perception of 'intellect' is quite something to consider.
  • Options

Utterly detached from reality.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986
    edited July 2019

Usual whingerama from diehard Remainers on here that we will finally have a PM who believes in Brexit and will deliver it on October 31st, Deal or No Deal as he confirmed to Neil.

Hunt I note refused to commit to Leave by Christmas
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Usual whingerama from diehard Remainers on here that we will finally have a PM who believes in Brexit and will deliver it on October 31st, Deal or No Deal as he confirmed to Neil.
    There’s a nice bridge on Teesside I would like to sell you.
  • Options

Reminds me of comical Ali!
  • Options

Nope, Boris will revive the Scottish Tories again as Scottish Brexit Party voters return to the Tories
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,186
    HYUFD said:

Boris will certainly Leave by Christmas if elected.

In fact I'll be mildly surprised if he makes it to August.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,871
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Forgetting whether the EU will agree to it or not for one moment, and the EU would need to agree to it for it to work, do you think a 10 year transition would be a good or bad idea?

Personally, I think it's an excellent idea. It means there is no need for the backstop. It means the UK has time for a proper discussion about what relationship it wants with the EU.

I'd be all in favour.
    A decade as a 'vassal state'? That would be the ideal context for the UK to be dissolved. It would help the SNP win an independence referendum and politically weaken the unionists in Northern Ireland.
    Apparently anything will help Sturgeon win an independence referendum, including the sun rising every morning so just ignore what the SNP whinge about and get on with it!
    Only a Tory could be so self unaware
  • Options

The Conservative and Unionist Party died recently. It is no longer with us.

At some point someone with an ounce of decency will rename the new outfit.

It doesn't conserve and it is not interested in the uk union.

I humbly suggest TeaParty.
    No the Conservative Party is still here, just some PBers want to turn it into LDs2
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,814
    edited July 2019

I've just got done watching the whole thing and to be honest it was pretty boring.

Was basically just half an hour of Andrew Neil thinking he was/is David Frost interviewing Richard Nixon and Boris struggling to get a word in edgeways most of the time.

Don't get me wrong there is a place for an interview where the journalst goes into it with the express desire to shoot the knee caps of the politician he's talking to and Neil does this kind of thing well... But the act is wearing thin and doubt it will have made any difference to the outcome at all...

I think the BBC has rightly judged that Neil's combative approach is getting boring as well to be honest.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Boris will have won a majority by Christmas
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    alex. said:

Re: Boris and obfustication. Some argue he's being clever and trying to keep his options open. I think the reality is that their are very few political questions to which he has really devoted much thought to developing a settled opinion. He is basically a classic professional opinion column journalist, prepared to deliver a column to order to satisfy his editor. Because he has taken little time to develop serious opinions he is very bad when put on the spot. He doesn't have the underlying confidence in his instinctive opinions that come with serious underlying research and thought, and therefore is desperate to avoid committing himself on anything. The only exceptions are where he thinks that strong commitments are absolutely necessary to securing votes, but i'm not entirely convinced that those commitments will survive confrontation with reality. He has committed himself to Oct 31st EU departure come what may because he thinks it will make him PM. If confronted with the reality that actually following that through may kill off the prospects of securing millions of votes in future election will he really follow through on that commitment? Especially if he thinks that a few months delay might result in a 'palatable' Brexit anyway?

My take as well. He is focused only on becoming PM atm because he wants to be the PM.

Once he is, it will be all about survival. Which means an extension in order to try and pass the Withdrawal Agreement.

Theresa in trousers.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

I wasn't going to watch it but I will now.
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    Just seen Boris chat on iPlayer. I thought Andrew Neil managed to be even worse than Boris. I doubt either of these nauseating twats would be on many people’s dream dinner party list.
  • Options
    Wow! Deranged and dangerous.

Truth no longer matters.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1149696837382623234
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    HYUFD said:

The interview gives us a strong clue to Johnson's self justification after October 31 has been and gone. He will claim he never committed to October 31 just as he pretends now he supported the ambassador and will deflect onto other people's negativity about Brexit.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    kinabalu said:

alex. said:

My take as well. He is focused only on becoming PM atm because he wants to be the PM.

Once he is, it will be all about survival. Which means an extension in order to try and pass the Withdrawal Agreement.

Theresa in trousers.
    Nope, he will prorogue Parliament in order to enforce Brexit if necessary otherwise Farage will be PM instead.

The Withdrawal Agreement will only pass with a Tory majority, not with further extension
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,045
    HYUFD said:

Nope, Boris will revive the Scottish Tories again as Scottish Brexit Party voters return to the Tories
    Ooh, do you think they might get back to as much as 20%?

#RuthforFM

• Options
    HYUFD said:

The combined SCon + Scottish Brexit Party vote share in today’s Survatiom was just 19%. Down from 29% at the last GE.

And that’s before Boris screws up.
  • Options
    FFS Trump is completely out of touch with reality. He is extremely unwell.

US senators/cabinet - do something!!!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

What do you think will be peak bounce? The Tories at 27% in opinion polls?
  • Options

Which part was this exactly?
  • Options
    But on Newsnight young Tories were giving Boris up to 8 and a half to 9 out of ten for the interview. Even the naysayers had him at six and a half out of ten. Ordure does not stick on Johnson. He was however shocking... and arrogant.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

I've just got done watching the whole thing and to be honest it was pretty boring.

Was basically just half an hour of Andrew Neil thinking he was/is David Frost interviewing Richard Nixon and Boris struggling to get a word in edgeways most of the time.

Don't get me wrong there is a place for an interview where the journalst goes into it with the express desire to shoot the knee caps of the politician he's talking to and Neil does this kind of thing well... But the act is wearing thin and doubt it will have made any difference to the outcome at all...

I think the BBC has rightly judged that Neil's combative approach is getting boring as well to be honest.
    Indeed, Boris did fine enough, diehard Remainers think it was Frost Nixon, it was anything but the main point was Boris committed to Brexit Deal or No Deal on October 31st, Hunt refused yo even commit to Leave by Christmas
  • Options

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

😂
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,994
    TOPPING said:

malcolmg said:

FPT
    DavidL said:

» show previous quotes
    What did you get? I had had a series of A4s and their cost seemed to have gone from about £22k to £30k+. Nice cars but not worth that. It seemed to reflect the exchange rate changes more than general inflation though.

It was a Q5 S Line TDI40, took all the bells & whistles , everything but sunroof. Very nice to drive and can potter along on soft suspension or in sports mode etc. The auto DSG box is incredible.

@Dura_Ace trigger warning.
    The only redeeming feature is the DSG and they make farting noises when you hammer the fuck out of them.

Having said that I have exactly 0/5 cars that are capable of moving under their own power so what do I know.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    HYUFD said:

Oh give it up . Yes we know you want Brexit delivered but the Johnson interview was a car crash .

• Options

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Oh no, over 30%, Hunt will be 27%

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1148312432768684032?s=20
  • Options

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

lol - HYUFD forgot to say it will be a National Government sized majority at that as the Tories will win Labour safe seats.....
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

I couldn't agree more.

Throughout this so-called leadership campaign no one has tried to quiz Boris in a proper manner. He has been allowed to bluster, smirk and shrug his way through it all.

He has absolutely no idea what he is talking about and cannot be bothered to do the work required.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

Truth no longer matters.

Prepare for the battle with the fake news diehard Remainer media once Boris takes over too
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,808
    edited July 2019

spudgfsh said:

We can only hope.

In defence of Boris on this very narrow point. The smirk to me seems to be one of Boris's subconscious nervous tells, perhaps at points he disagrees with or a concentration thing. It isn't uncommon for one who habitually gets into trouble. Similarly, his voice, if you listen, is near constantly amused except on the most grave occasions when he is forcing himself. The fear of being caught out has become, essentially, Boris's default state.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

You do realise that 32% was described as the Tories flatlining for about a decade! It was a joke, like Boris Johnson becoming PM!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Important news. Jeremy Hunt is an entrepreneur.
  • Options

Truth no longer matters.

Has the increasingly deranged Trumpton been comfort eating again down at MaccyD’s? He appears to have put on another stone or so around his chops.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

HYUFD said:

The combined SCon + Scottish Brexit Party vote share in today’s Survatiom was just 19%. Down from 29% at the last GE.

Yougov today has the Tories and Brexit Party combined on 29% in Scotland.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/07/12/voting-intention-con-24-brex-21-lab-20-lib-dem-19-

Yougov got the European elections spot on, Survation got them completely wrong
  • Options
    FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

The interview gives us a strong clue to Johnson's self justification after October 31 has been and gone. He will claim he never committed to October 31 just as he pretends now he supported the ambassador and will deflect onto other people's negativity about Brexit.
    Boris gameplan is simply ‘be PM’. He’ll make everything else up afterwards.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

alex. said:

Theresa in trousers.
    Nope, he will prorogue Parliament in order to enforce Brexit if necessary otherwise Farage will be PM instead.

The Withdrawal Agreement will only pass with a Tory majority, not with further extension
    So you support basically a dictatorship! Shocking . What sort of precedent does that mean for the future . Would you support a Labour government doing this to push through something MPs didn’t want ?

How many more things will be sacrificed on the altar of Brexit .
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,413
    Boris has proved himself to be a more confident TV and debate performer than TMay. That's not a high bar, but at least it's progress.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Prepare for the battle with the fake news diehard Remainer media once Boris takes over too

Are you for real?

What will it be on November 1st when we haven't left? "Fake news! We left yesterday deal or no deal."
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

alex. said:

Theresa in trousers.

How will Farage become PM instead? For a start there had to be an election. For second what scenario does Farage become PM as opposed to simply preventing a Tory leader from becoming PM? An election in which no deal opponents boycott a GE? And you think that a Brexit by, say March 31st as opposed to Oct31st will lead to a BXP landslide? In either circumstance we will have left the EU so why should pro-Brexit voters have a problem with that?
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

spudgfsh said:

We can only hope.

In defence of Boris on this very narrow point. The smirk to me seems to be one of Boris's subconscious nervous tells, perhaps at points he disagrees with or a concentration thing. It isn't uncommon for one who habitually gets into trouble. Similarly, his voice, if you listen, is near constantly amused except on the most grave occasions when he is forcing himself. The fear of being caught out has become, essentially, Boris's default state.
    Gordon Brown used to have a grin on his face when describing the fallout of Black Wednesday (1992). I think that was the moment I began to dislike him. Johnson and Brown have a lot in common , they both think they are entitled to No.10 with no questions asked and no need to fight for it. They have similar personal traits in that they hope popularity will rub off other institutions and people. Like Brown, Boris will fail.....
  • Options
    edited July 2019

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

You do realise that 32% was described as the Tories flatlining for about a decade! It was a joke, like Boris Johnson becoming PM!
    Given Corbyn Labour is polling worse than Foot on just 25% v Boris, when even Foot managed 27% in 1983 despite being trounced by Thatcher, Boris can win a majority on 32% easily
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited July 2019

Roger said:

FF43 said:

This interview is a total car crash for Boris

I've been listening to the tone more than the content. Oddly, I don't agree with the consensus. Johnson succeeds in sounding more measured than Andrew Neil, who sounds arrogant and frustrated. That may be because I've never liked Neil but I suspect that many viewers may agree. Neil appeals to people like PBers who are seriously interested in politics.
    I think so too. If you believe in Brexit you will likely buy Johnson's message.
    Yes. Johnson was full of wind but if they haven't picked that up by now I doubt that interview changed anything. Neil was too hectoring. I'd have preferred him to ask why he lied on the side of bus and repeat the question every couple of minutes. Then choose another lie and do the same. He puffs up like an ugly fish when he lies.
    The only problem with that is the Courts have just found that he did not lie on the side of a bus

And I am no fan of Boris
    They didn't find that at all. They found he was ALLOWED to lie on the side of a bus. The ASA is there to police advertising of all types. No ad can be shown whose accuracy is not provable. The only exception is political advertising where they can lie through their teeth which is what he did.

• Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

He has absolutely no idea what he is talking about and cannot be bothered to do the work required.

Boris is a lazy dishonest bluffer, with a habit of being crass or bigoted. Clearly he's exactly the sort of person will command widespread public support and deliver a successful Brexit.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Always said Andrew Neil is by far and away the best interviewer in the country. An equal opportunity ruthless on top of his questions and doesn't take BS from anyone.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

HYUFD said:

Oh give it up . Yes we know you want Brexit delivered but the Johnson interview was a car crash .

It wasn't except for diehard Remainers who had already decided it would be
  • Options
    edited July 2019

Boris has proved himself to be a more confident TV and debate performer than TMay. That's not a high bar, but at least it's progress.

May though is not inherently dishonest or lazy. She has many failings, but she would at least make the effort to do a difficult job to the best of her ability.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Given Corbyn Labour is polling worse than Foot on just 25% v Boris, when even Foot managed 27% in 1983 despite being trounced by Thatcher, Boris can win a majority on 32% easily
    I think that strategy is doomed to fail, the Tories will go backward in any election now or in the future.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Are you for real?

What will it be on November 1st when we haven't left? "Fake news! We left yesterday deal or no deal."
    We WILL leave on October 31st.

When Boris takes over it will be war, every second of every minute of every hour of every day will be focused on ensuring we Leave on October 31st and the will of the people is delivered by whatever means required
  • Options

Gordon Brown used to have a grin on his face when describing the fallout of Black Wednesday (1992). I think that was the moment I began to dislike him. Johnson and Brown have a lot in common , they both think they are entitled to No.10 with no questions asked and no need to fight for it. They have similar personal traits in that they hope popularity will rub off other institutions and people. Like Brown, Boris will fail.....

SeanT used to regularly comment on Brown's weird gurning when delivering some bad news to camera. Of course we used to think Brown was as bad as it could possibly get, how wrong we were!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yougov today has the Tories and Brexit Party combined on 29% in Scotland.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/07/12/voting-intention-con-24-brex-21-lab-20-lib-dem-19-

Yougov got the European elections spot on, Survation got them completely wrong
    You can’t use crossbreak samples in that way . You need a poll conducted just in Scotland with a decent sample size .
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Are you for real?

When Boris takes over it will be war, every second of every minute of every hour of every day will be focused on ensuring we Leave on October 31st and the will of the people is delivered by whatever means required
    Apart from the bit when everyone goes on holiday for a couple of months.

• Options
    alex. said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

alex. said:

Theresa in trousers.

How will Farage become PM instead? For a start there had to be an election. For second what scenario does Farage become PM as opposed to simply preventing a Tory leader from becoming PM? An election in which no deal opponents boycott a GE? And you think that a Brexit by, say March 31st as opposed to Oct31st will lead to a BXP landslide? In either circumstance we will have left the EU so why should pro-Brexit voters have a problem with that?
    If we do not Leave in October the Government will not have the guts to deliver Brexit in May either, so it will be PM Farage to do it instead
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

alex. said:

Theresa in trousers.

If we do not Leave in October the Government will not have the guts to deliver Brexit in May either, so it will be PM Farage to do it instead
    And the scenario whereby Farage becomes PM?

Oh, and can you remind us on your personal reasons for backing remain in the referendum?

• Options
    alex. said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Are you for real?

Apart from the bit when everyone goes on holiday for a couple of months.

Expecting a notably lazy politician to put the hours in to deliver Brexit on schedule strikes me as a particularly fanciful view of things.
  • Options
    glw said:

SeanT used to regularly comment on Brown's weird gurning when delivering some bad news to camera. Of course we used to think Brown was as bad as it could possibly get, how wrong we were!
    Yes, sometimes I feel guilty about that especially when he campaigns on things I agree with. The thing about Brown in the 1990s was he managed to land killer blows and get his agenda as an alternative to the then Government, He ironically came unstuck by the way he went into overkill back in the 1990s as his words then could be utilised against him in 2007 onwards!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

HYUFD said:

I want Johnson to win the leadership . A Brexiter needs to own it . No more whining from Tory Leavers about May not believing enough .

The EU will not deliver a victory for Johnson , they despise him . Hunt who I can’t stand either has a far better chance of getting the UK out by October 31st with a deal .

• Options
    edited July 2019
    alex. said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

alex. said:

Re: Boris and obfustication. Some argue he's being clever and trying to keep his options open. I think the reality is that their are very few political questions to which he has really devoted much thought to developing a settled opinion. He is basically a classic professional opinion column journalist, prepared to deliver a column to order to satisfy his editor. Because he has taken little time to develop serious opinions he is very bad when put on the spot. He doesn't have months delay might result in a 'palatable' Brexit anyway?

Theresa in trousers.

If Boris does not take us out of the EU by October 31st Yougov has it being Brexit Party 24%, LDs 22%, Labour 20%, Tories 20%.

If Hunt is PM and we have not left the EU by October 31st Yougov gives Brexit Party 27%, LDs 22%, Tories 19%, Labour 18%.

Either way it is PM Farage and it really would be straight to No Deal WTO terms

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/06/21/delivering-brexit-will-do-more-boost-conservative-
  • Options
    nico67 said:

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

HYUFD said:

I want Johnson to win the leadership . A Brexiter needs to own it . No more whining from Tory Leavers about May not believing enough .

The EU will not deliver a victory for Johnson , they despise him . Hunt who I can’t stand either has a far better chance of getting the UK out by October 31st with a deal .

Hunt doesn't as he cannot win a majority and without a Tory majority the Commons will not pass the Withdrawal Agreement
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

alex. said:

Re: Boris and obfustication. Some argue he's being clever and trying to keep his options open. I think the reality is that their are very few political questions to which he has really devoted much thought to developing a settled opinion. He is basically a classic professional opinion column journalist, prepared to deliver a column to order to satisfy his editor. Because he has taken little time to develop serious opinions he is very bad when put on the spot. He doesn't have months delay might result in a 'palatable' Brexit anyway?

Theresa in trousers.

If Boris does not take us out of the EU by October 31st Yougov has it being Brexit Party 24%, LDs 22%, Labour 20%, Tories 30%.

Of Hunt is PM and we have not left the EU by October 31st Yougov gives Brexit Party 27%, LDs 22%, Tories 21%, Labour 20%.

Either way it is PM Farage and it really would be straight to No Deal WTO terms then

I’m guessing there is a typo in there, but even still how do those figures produce Farage as PM?

• Options
    The
    HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

alex. said:

Theresa in trousers.

If Boris does not take us out of the EU by October 31st Yougov has it being Brexit Party 24%, LDs 22%, Labour 20%, Tories 30%.

Of Hunt is PM and we have not left the EU by October 31st Yougov gives Brexit Party 27%, LDs 22%, Tories 21%, Labour 20%.

Either way it is PM Farage and it really would be straight to No Deal WTO terms then

It’s irrelevant, as long as Brexit is delivered before the next election then why would Tory voters still back Farage . And the ERG death cult aren’t going to bring their own government down as they’d end up with no Brexit at all .

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,955
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Are you for real?

By any means necessary?
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    nico67 said:

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

HYUFD said:

Johnson is going to crash and burn and Brexit will crash and burn with him. And there's a good chance he will take the Tory Party down as well.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,955
    nico67 said:

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

HYUFD said:

You really think when Boris fails no one will accuse him of not believing enough?
    You are very trusting.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

justin124 said:

Pulpstar said:

FF43 said:

I suspect on topic that self declared Green voters are substantially young people in cities who haven't voted before. Some polling companies believe them when they say they will vote next time; others don't.

If that was the explanation and Yougov had the greens say at 3 it would transpose to (Sub 6)
    26 Con
    21 Lab
    22 Brex
    20 LD

So the Lab figure is still wildly out from Survation whereas the rest are closish
    I don't believe it to be at all likely that a 6% drop in the Green vote would boost the Tories by 2% and Labour by just 1%!
    It is not just Survation either - none of Opinium, Comres, & BMG have Labour lower than 25%.
    The polls are all over the place. Steering a middle course with an exponential moving average (EMA) gives:

Con 23.9% Lab 24.3% LD 18.6% BXP 20.0% Grn 6.9%

Seats

Con 207
    Lab 244
    LD 63
    BXP 63
    PC 3
    Grn 1
    SNP 51
    NI 18

Con + BXP can't form government at 270.
    Lab + LD + SNP can form government at 358 (362 incl PC and Grn)
    Polls of polls used to be frowned upon around here. What is current thinking?
This discussion has been closed.