Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The money goes on an early exit for Corbyn

Comments

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,247
    Sounds like he's feeling as bleak as I am:

https://twitter.com/NickCohen4/status/1149320660377882624
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

I am not convinced, either. If there is an election in the wind, he’ll want one more go, and we won’t be clear of possible electoral imminence until Bozo has settled in and until after halloween, and with a likely further extension, probably not until early 2020.

There will be no further extension under Boris, he will refuse to request another one so we Brexit Deal or No Deal on October 31st unless Parliament first tries to force one and Macron does not veto it anyway
    So, if the EU says "yes, we will renegotiate the backstop", then Boris will say:

"Ha! No time, sorry suxxers. We're out we No Deal"?
    They won't so it won't be an issue.

At most if Boris wins a majority by early autumn he will remove the temporary Customs Union for GB which May imposed and then pass the Withdrawal Agreement and let Northern Ireland voters decide whether to join GB on that basis or keep the backstop by referendum
    "Remove the temporary Customs Union for GB" = renegotiate the backstop. There won't be time to do it in between a General Election and October 31st. When do you propose the referendum in Northern Ireland should be?
    No, it can be done in an afternoon
    Barnier never required it, May did. There was never any temporary Customs Union for GB requirement by the EU only for NI.

With a majority the Withdrawal Agreement can be passed and Northern Ireland can have a confirmatory referendum after as to whether to keep the backstop or not
    But May brought in the UK customs union because the DUP were adamant that they would not accept a NI one. I don’t think that has changed.
    Boris will throw the DUP under a bus if he wins a majority.

He only cares about GB leaving the EU, single market and Customs Union and getting a FTA with the EU, he will let Northern Ireland voters decide on the backstop by referendum, even the Sunday Times last week confirmed that was what some Boris aides were planning
    There’s the small detail of the DUP being the government’s majority.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626

Whatever Roy gets fined of his match fee Bairstow should cover from his!

Jeremy from Bristol

Perhaps the team should institute a review box, along the lines of a swear box, but more expensive.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,470
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Shame about Roy being cheated of a likely century, but that first six off Starc was an extraordinary shot which will live long in the memory.

Though probably not in the coaching manual.

The final six of Steve Smith was the shot for me. The Warwickshire staff say it is the first time anyone has ever hit the media centre.

https://twitter.com/TheSportsman/status/1149333146200096768
    Good, but given the bowler...
    Hitting Starc like that was unbelievable.

https://twitter.com/NickElliott91/status/1149322347612188672
    Beautiful
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721

LauraK now reporting same news that less than half have voted in GOP Tory leadership election. CCHQ wont comment.

Hunt still in with a chance?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,301

Sounds like he's feeling as bleak as I am:

https://twitter.com/NickCohen4/status/1149320660377882624

Like most everyone in the Country with the odd exception, and they are no doubt odd !!!!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,008
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

I am not convinced, either. If there is an election in the wind, he’ll want one more go, and we won’t be clear of possible electoral imminence until Bozo has settled in and until after halloween, and with a likely further extension, probably not until early 2020.

There will be no further extension under Boris, he will refuse to request another one so we Brexit Deal or No Deal on October 31st unless Parliament first tries to force one and Macron does not veto it anyway
    So, if the EU says "yes, we will renegotiate the backstop", then Boris will say:

At most if Boris wins a majority by early autumn he will remove the temporary Customs Union for GB which May imposed and then pass the Withdrawal Agreement and let Northern Ireland voters decide whether to join GB on that basis or keep the backstop by referendum
    "Remove the temporary Customs Union for GB" = renegotiate the backstop. There won't be time to do it in between a General Election and October 31st. When do you propose the referendum in Northern Ireland should be?
    Barnier never required it, May did. There was never any temporary Customs Union for GB requirement by the EU only for NI.

With a majority the Withdrawal Agreement can be passed and Northern Ireland can have a confirmatory referendum after as to whether to keep the backstop or not
    But May brought in the UK customs union because the DUP were adamant that they would not accept a NI one. I don’t think that has changed.

He only cares about GB leaving the EU, single market and Customs Union and getting a FTA with the EU, he will let Northern Ireland voters decide on the backstop by referendum, even the Sunday Times last week confirmed that was what some Boris aides were planning
    I said 'if he wins a majority.'

Boris needs to win an early autumn general election with a majority, then he will grow the DUP under a bus
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    edited July 2019

The Conservative party is morphing into the GOP before our eyes:

https://twitter.com/ProfTimBale/status/1149198151414427653

He must read PB. Some of us have been saying this for some time - that the particular form of Brexit the Tories have latched onto is a profoundly unconservative act. A revolutionary act, in fact.

And it's worse than turning into the GOP. At least in the US there is a written Constitution and a two-term limit for the President and a free press protected in law. We have none of these things.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

Boris's tactic (which might work) is that because he is really, really serious about No Deal, moderate Labourites who love their country will fall in line and back the Deal without the UK Customs Union.

However, the DUP will not vote for it (and have threatened to VoNC the party in government if they attempt it). And the ERG, sensing a No Deal exit if they vote against it, are hardly incentivized to vote for it.

It therefore requires a lot of Labourites to defy a three line whip. Possible. But unlikely.

So Boris's WA has been defeated in the Commons. He can now attempt to run the clock down to get No Deal. This may work. It may also lead to a VoNC followed by a temporary GoAFAE followed by an election. It may simply lead straight to an election.

Simply, it's possible that Boris has thought this all through, and knows how to get Britain out the EU with a sensible deal on 31 October. It's also possible that he becomes the shortest serving British Prime Minister.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

Boris needs to win an early autumn general election with a majority, then he will grow the DUP under a bus
    So you're admitting Boris Johnson is a liar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjubxheN6ME&feature=youtu.be
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Have you not seen Johnson's speech at the DUP conference where he denounces the Northern Ireland component of the backstop?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjubxheN6ME
    Well he still needs the DUP to govern now.

He will not campaign for the backstop, he will let Northern Ireland voters decide, they will almost certainly vote for the backstop, problem solved.

If Northern Ireland voters oppose the backstop that is the EU's problem, not Boris'
  • Options
    edited July 2019

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

At most if Boris wins a majority by early autumn he will remove ndum

So you're admitting Boris Johnson is a liar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjubxheN6ME&feature=youtu.be
    No, he will let Northern Ireland voters decide.

In all likelihood after an autumn general election Sinn Fein and the Alliance combined will have more MPs and votes than the DUP in Northern Ireland anyway

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

I thought he was guaranteed to win a majority? You've been saying he was for 3 weeks...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

Boris also promised no election.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,897
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

Cue the response....
  • Options
    It's coming home, it's coming home, IT'S BLOODY WELL COMING HOME, CRICKET'S COMING HOME
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Looks like Australia want this over with and retire to the pavilion to lick their wounds
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Cyclefree said:

He must read PB. Some of us have been saying this for some time - that the particular form of Brexit the Tories have latched onto is a profoundly unconservative act. A revolutionary act, in fact.

And it's worse than turning into the GOP. At least in the US there is a written Constitution and a two-term limit for the President and a free press protected in law. We have none of these things.
    I have a sneaking suspicion that the two term limit won't be an issue for Boris.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

Boris's tactic (which might work) is that because he is really, really serious about No Deal, moderate Labourites who love their country will fall in line and back the Deal without the UK Customs Union.

However, the DUP will not vote for it (and have threatened to VoNC the party in government if they attempt it). And the ERG, sensing a No Deal exit if they vote against it, are hardly incentivized to vote for it.

It therefore requires a lot of Labourites to defy a three line whip. Possible. But unlikely.

So Boris's WA has been defeated in the Commons. He can now attempt to run the clock down to get No Deal. This may work. It may also lead to a VoNC followed by a temporary GoAFAE followed by an election. It may simply lead straight to an election.

Simply, it's possible that Boris has thought this all through, and knows how to get Britain out the EU with a sensible deal on 31 October. It's also possible that he becomes the shortest serving British Prime Minister.
    It’s a tricky hand right enough but having no deal in the options is essential and removing that was one of Mays more notable mistakes in a crowded field.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that the two term limit won't be an issue for Boris.
    But what comes afterwards is an issue for the rest of us.
  • Options

Looks like Australia want this over with and retire to the pavilion to lick their wounds

Smith should try another over, then.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

I've just posted off a ballot for Jeremy Hunt.

He might even reach 30% now then!!
    Er, you do realise Boris will be a complete disaster for the Country and (long term) the Tory Party?
    No, Boris will be a great leader for the country and a brilliant leader for the Tory Party too.
    Maybe even in the Churchill and Thatcher league of Tory leadets if all goes well.

However you are Labour anyway
    How can a Remainer such as yourself be in favour of that arch Leaver Boris?
    Boris won the Brexit vote, Boris can therefore deliver Brexit
    That's the only consolation. Once he's run into reality and either failed to deliver Brexit or delivered it and trashed the economy - there will be nobody else to blame. If Hunt did the same, it could be because he didn't 'believe' enough.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

It’s a tricky hand right enough but having no deal in the options is essential and removing that was one of Mays more notable mistakes in a crowded field.

Agreed.

And Boris's error has been promising everything to everyone.

Churchill promised blood, sweat and tears.

Boris promises nothing but sunlit uplands.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541
    edited July 2019

Yes, that's what happens when a large group of people feel, with reason, that powers and independence which they value has been eroded without consent, that parliament has overlooked the importance of getting real consent before sharing and pooling its sovereignty bit by bit and thus limiting its own powers. Then, when we have decided to take those powers back it is obvious that large numbers of people intend to stop it happening by any means they can. The sources of this crisis lie well in the past and cannot be quickly sorted. Both sides are prepared to use any tactics to get their way.

Yes it is all very unConservative, but these sorts of spats are now inevitable.
  • Options

I guess that is because the Tory :Party membership database is inaccurate, they have sent ballot ;papers to a lot of people who are dead, have moved, lost interest etc. Our new PM could well be elected by less than 50,000 people.
    Theresa May was reelected prime minister with less than 50,000 votes. 37,718 votes t be exact.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    England would be heading for 429 according to Duckworth Lewis :p
  • Options

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

I've just posted off a ballot for Jeremy Hunt.

He might even reach 30% now then!!
    Er, you do realise Boris will be a complete disaster for the Country and (long term) the Tory Party?
    No, Boris will be a great leader for the country and a brilliant leader for the Tory Party too.
    Maybe even in the Churchill and Thatcher league of Tory leadets if all goes well.

However you are Labour anyway
    How can a Remainer such as yourself be in favour of that arch Leaver Boris?
    Boris won the Brexit vote, Boris can therefore deliver Brexit
    That's the only consolation. Once he's run into reality and either failed to deliver Brexit or delivered it and trashed the economy - there will be nobody else to blame. If Hunt did the same, it could be because he didn't 'believe' enough.
    Yes, there is a certain justice coming his way. But he will bluster and bluff and end up living in America as our next but one ambassador, or being paid a fortune to write books about Shakespeare.

Meanwhile, Ulster may well still be burning.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

At most if Boris wins a majority by n that basis or keep the backstop by referendum

In the debate he said 'in the forthcoming election' he will either call it for September or Grieve, Stewart, Lee etc back the opposition and VONC him anyway.

With a majority after that election he can pass the Withdrawal Agreement he voted for at MV3 minus the temporary Customs Union for GB and ignore the DUP
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    DavidL said:

Having no deal as an option is like having self-amputation without anaesthetic as an option.

The casual glee with which Leavers are willing to inflict chaos and potential very serious harm on the country is mindblowing.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Don't forget Professor Steve Stern.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Cyclefree said:

The GOPification of the Conservative Party is also evidenced by its extreme partisanship under Cameron, including the attempted gerrymandering around the seat reduction, the explosion of peers, even the denial of the IMF job to Gordon Brown. Again it is the notion that usual niceties of our unwritten constitution do not matter.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

I hope you mean that he'll be out after one term - and not the other interpretation.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

Nor will it be for Trump. If he wins a 2nd he will change the rules with GOP conniving and go for third.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

DavidL said:

Having no deal as an option is like having self-amputation without anaesthetic as an option.

The casual glee with which Leavers are willing to inflict chaos and potential very serious harm on the country is mindblowing.
    Or we just don't believe your hysteria.

Given your side are the boy who cried wolf it's hardly a surprise.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

This is grotesque revisionism. May kept no deal on the table right to the end, which is why parliament went to such lengths to stop it in the final weeks.

Remember this article?

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/theresa-may-no-deal-brexit-fallback-plan_uk_5c617348e4b0910c63f30fc8
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited July 2019
    Got to hope Bairstow is fit for the final, otherwise it is England one wicket down for 10 straight out of the gate as Vince hits a lovely 4, followed by missing a straight one...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Pulpstar said:

Don't forget Professor Steve Stern.
    The tables aren't available for that. Likely it would be slightly higher.

Anyway my prediction of 30 overs won't be far wrong.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Brexit. Pure Brexit, trumps everything. Peace in Ulster included.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,680
  • Options
    DavidL said:

She was just trying to honour the Vote Leave campaign pledge.

• Options
    edited July 2019

Got to hope Bairstow is fit for the final, otherwise it is England one wicket down for 10 straight out of the gate as Vince hits a lovely 4, followed by missing a straight one...

Suggested that Moeen would open instead. Which, while far from ideal, would probably be better.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Suggested that Moeen would open instead. Which, while far from ideal, would probably be better.
    In that case it will be 20/1, after Ali hits 2 or 3 lovely drives, then plays a lazy shot and gets out...
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

School terms ?? .... :smile:
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Yes, that's what happens when a large group of people feel, with reason, that powers and independence which they value has been eroded without consent, that parliament has overlooked the importance of getting real consent before sharing and pooling its sovereignty bit by bit and thus limiting its own powers. Then, when we have decided to take those powers back it is obvious that large numbers of people intend to stop it happening by any means they can. The sources of this crisis lie well in the past and cannot be quickly sorted. Both sides are prepared to use any tactics to get their way.

"Without real consent"

Did we stop having general elections in the 1973 - 2016 period then?
  • Options

DavidL said:

It's not that you don't believe your opponents. It's that you deliberately don't even want to think about any consequences.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

Nor will it be for Trump. If he wins a 2nd he will change the rules with GOP conniving and go for third.
    He'll need to change the constitution to do that. There needs to be a new amendment annulling the 22nd amendment, requiring two-thirds majority in both houses. That aint goinna happen.
  • Options
    Time to top up on Hunt?
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Nope, and the vast majority of Tory members I know have voted too.

https://twitter.com/ConHome/status/1149210110666977286?s=20

No polling evidence from Kuenssberg or CCHQ quote and Yougov had Boris even further ahead than ConHome
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Time to top up on Hunt?
    Maybe lay to back Boris.
  • Options
    JackW said:

rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

School terms ?? .... :smile:
    :relieved:
  • Options
    Brilliant.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    If England had the 50 overs, we might be looking at 400+ total against the cheating convicts.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

In the debate he said 'in the forthcoming election' he will either call it for September or Grieve, Stewart, Lee etc back the opposition and VONC him anyway.

With a majority after that election he can pass the Withdrawal Agreement he voted for at MV3 minus the temporary Customs Union for GB and ignore the DUP

Is he going to extend article 50 in order to facilitate the election??
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

It's not that you don't believe your opponents. It's that you deliberately don't even want to think about any consequences.
    I think the consequences will be quite negligible if not positive like they have been every time we were warned by Europhiles previously that the sky was falling.
  • Options
    Sir Donald Bradman, Jeff Thompson, Alan Border, Dame Nellie Melba, Olivia Newton John, your boys...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I thought that in the second innings the target is an input into DL. If so, this is clearly not actually a DL prediction. Which makes sense. England are (now were) only so far ahead as winning the run chase after 25 overs was as good as inevitable and the pressure is off (both teams).
  • Options

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

I think the consequences will be quite negligible if not positive like they have been every time we were warned by Europhiles previously that the sky was falling.
    Which reply rather makes my point for me.
  • Options
    Solidarity for Kim Darroch from the German Ambassador to the US.
    https://twitter.com/GermanAmbUSA/status/1149309677546684416
  • Options
    Must say I am bemused by that. At Lords England were not in the game. What a difference a Roy makes.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

In all the hubbub about the Panorama programme about anti-Semitism and Labour's response, no one seems to have realised that the allegations made in the programme are of direct bearing to the EHRC investigation into the Labour party. That was always going to be difficult for Labour and it now looks set to become devastating for the party leadership's vestigial credibility.

Yes, that was a point I made last night. To make it even worse for Labour, I'd have thought that the party's reaction to the Panorama programme will itself become part of the EHRC investigation, because it provides further evidence (if any were needed) that the party is neither taking the issue seriously nor has robust procedures to deal with it.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Sir Donald Bradman, Jeff Thompson, Alan Border, Dame Nellie Melba, Olivia Newton John, your boys...

you left out Dame Edna
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

algarkirk said:

"Without real consent"

Effectively yes.

Considering the Labour manifesto for the General Election in 2005 said that Lisbon Treaty (then constitution) wouldn't be ratified without a referendum first, then it irreversibly was. Simply kicking out Labour in 2010 wasn't sufficient to undo their duplicity.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Must say I am bemused by that. At Lords England were not in the game. What a difference a Roy makes.

Once again it's the batsmen getting the credit, when the bowlers in the first spell set the game up.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

"

Optimism is great but unfortunately reality tends never to produce the results we want. The Tories will go backwards in a GE. If May was dreadful in a GE can you imagine Boris navigating all the press confrences, media events without slipping up? The Tories are heading for a bruising in any GE. The Tories are likley to lose seats to the SNP and LD, the Labour party will likley keep most of the seats marginally Labour in a GE. I cannot see the Tories just leaving the LD and SNP to take seats without a fight and so resources will be used to retain seats rather than gain Labour ones IMO. I keep telling you the 70 seat rule but you persist in niave fantasy!
  • Options
    edited July 2019

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

There will be no further extension under Boris, he will refuse does not veto it anyway

"
    Boris will throw the DUP under a bus if he wins s aides were planning

In the debate he said 'in the forthcoming election' he will rary Customs Union for GB and ignore the DUP
    Optimism is great but unfortunately reality tends never to produce the results we want. The Tories will go backwards in a GE. If May was dreadful in a GE can you imagine Boris navigating all the press confrences, media events without slipping up? The Tories are heading for a bruising in any GE. The Tories are likley to lose seats to the SNP and LD, the Labour party will likley keep most of the seats marginally Labour in a GE. I cannot see the Tories just leaving the LD and SNP to take seats without a fight and so resources will be used to retain seats rather than gain Labour ones IMO. I keep telling you the 70 seat rule but you persist in niave fantasy!
    https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1148312432768684032?s=20

Wrong. Tory majority 36 under Boris with Comres

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/cgi-bin/usercode.py?CON=32&LAB=25&LIB=17&Brexit=14&Green=2&UKIP=2&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVBrexit=&TVGreen=&TVUKIP=&SCOTCON=&SCOTLAB=&SCOTLIB=&SCOTBrexit=&SCOTGreen=&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTNAT=&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2017base
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

DavidL said:

Once again it's the batsmen getting the credit, when the bowlers in the first spell set the game up.
    Woakes got MotM. Suspect Roy’s dissent played a part in that
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541
    edited July 2019
    Cyclefree said:

algarkirk said:

"Without real consent"

This doesn't quite hit the point on the head. People noticed other nations having referenda as well as elections over EU and sovereignty issues, and noticed that this was being incorporated into UK practice over a number of things touching constitutional and sovereignty change. If elections had been a decent guide to opinion Remain would have won an overwhelming majority. Personally I am becoming pretty neutral about the outcome as we have reached the point where ordinary competence, if available, would be the most desirable thing to have in government.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    Mr. Eagles, most humiliating Aussie defeat since the Emu War?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

I find comments like this staggering. There's no analysis. There's no actual thought about the impact on the UK of imposition of tariffs. There's no measuring of the impact of dropping out of tax treaties. There's no question about what happens at borders and ports, and the rights of Brits in the EU (or vice-versa).

Instead, because Europhiles warned us of bad things in the past, and they didn't happen, then No Deal will be "negligible if not positive".

At the very least, there will be less trade betwee the EU and the UK. That seems an absolute given. (And ignores any other impacts.) As UK firms would not enter into this trade unless it was in their interests to do so, then any dimuntion must affect the UK negatively.

I have ridiculed people who said there might be medicine or food shortages. But the idea that there will be no impact of having tariffs slapped on around half our exports is laughable.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

HYUFD said:

No, it will be held by October 31st.

If he wins a majority we will leave Deal or No Deal then, even a temporary No Deal before the Withdrawal Agreement is passed
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

"

Tory majority 36 under Boris
    lol - you are incorrigible!
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, cheers for the heads up.

Bit weird how Channel 4 has a better sports lineup than the BBC, which has frittered away everything except the conveniently proximate Wimbledon.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If he wins a majority we will leave Deal or No Deal then, even a temporary No Deal before the Withdrawal Agreement is passed
    That doesn't work. Once we have left the EU we can't have the Withdrawal Agreement because we become a third party, and treaties between us and the EU require a significantly more tortuous process.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, cheers for the heads up.

Bit weird how Channel 4 has a better sports lineup than the BBC, which has frittered away everything except the conveniently proximate Wimbledon.

My mistake, the Grand Prix will still be on Channel 4, but less time before and after the race.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If he has a majority, why can you not say whether it will be with a deal or without? If we leave with no deal then the treaties will cease to apply. The WA can't be passed retrospectively.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,414

Mr. Eagles, most humiliating Aussie defeat since the Emu War?

Mr Dancer you beat me to the analogy.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, ah, ok.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    There probably are some undecideds. But it is more likely that a lot of the Conservative Party Membership database are now too dead to vote.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,792
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That doesn't work. Once we have left the EU we can't have the Withdrawal Agreement because we become a third party, and treaties between us and the EU require a significantly more tortuous process.
    @rcs1000 is correct, @hufyd. Leaving with no deal resets the clock.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

The GOPification of the Conservative Party is also evidenced by its extreme partisanship under Cameron, including the attempted gerrymandering around the seat reduction, the explosion of peers, even the denial of the IMF job to Gordon Brown. Again it is the notion that usual niceties of our unwritten constitution do not matter.

How can you write such unmitigated garbage? The 'gerrymandering' was an attempt to bring the electoral boundaries up to date and get rid of the disgraceful anomaly which gives votes in the North East and Wales an absurdly disproportionate number of MPs. The 'explosion' of peers was to correct an historical imbalance, and in any case was hardly anything new, since you are comparing with the 'usual niceties of our unwritten constitution. And as for Gordon Brown: since he was a prize numpty who had trashed the stability of the UK banking system and run the economy into a completely unnecessary debt crisis, I should jolly well hope he'd be blocked from the IMF. If Cameron has blocked Darling from such a role you might have a point, but not about Brown.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

@rcs1000 is correct, @hufyd. Leaving with no deal resets the clock.
    Please don't let facts destroy hufyd's unicorn utopia No Deal Brexit..
  • Options
    Mr. Jim, it was a fun thing to learn about, though I forget which Youtube channel it was where I discovered the Emu War.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

"

Tory majority 36 under Boris
    lol - you are incorrigible!
    Not really. He is a zealot and is heading for an embarrassing loss of face
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Any no deal is temporary.
  • Options

There probably are some undecideds. But it is more likely that a lot of the Conservative Party Membership database are now too dead to vote.
    I think the database is pretty good now.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,414

Mr. Jim, it was a fun thing to learn about, though I forget which Youtube channel it was where I discovered the Emu War.

Only the Aussies could go up against a load of large flightless birds and lose.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

algarkirk said:

"Without real consent"

Effectively yes.

Considering the Labour manifesto for the General Election in 2005 said that Lisbon Treaty (then constitution) wouldn't be ratified without a referendum first, then it irreversibly was. Simply kicking out Labour in 2010 wasn't sufficient to undo their duplicity.
    Staggering. According to you we "effectively stopped" having General Elections over a 43 year period.

I need to have a lie down. I'm feeling, retrospectively, oppressed.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

Maybe people dont like Boris and Hunt, so they are not bothering? Some will have died but I doubt huge numbers will have moved as people dont tend to move as they get older unless they have to move or have no roots in an area. Membership of a local association tends to imply having roots in an area imo.
  • Options
    Boris might find the House of Commons quite a lonely place as leader, when it appears that the only mate prepared to speak up for him is Peter Bone...
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jul/11/tory-mps-condemn-boris-johnson-over-kim-darroch-resignation
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If he has a majority, why can you not say whether it will be with a deal or without? If we leave with no deal then the treaties will cease to apply. The WA can't be passed retrospectively.
    The Withdrawal Agreement simply tidied up citizens' rights, the exit Bill and NI border to enable FTA talks to start, of course it can be passed even during a No Deal period
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    Wishful thinking I suspect...
  • Options

Maybe people dont like Boris and Hunt, so they are not bothering? Some will have died but I doubt huge numbers will have moved as people dont tend to move as they get older unless they have to move or have no roots in an area. Membership of a local association tends to imply having roots in an area imo.
    Could just be that a lot of ballots are in transit and will turn up at Con HQ, tomorrow and Monday.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The Withdrawal Agreement is merely a precursor to FTA talks, nothing more
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The Withdrawal Agreement simply tidied up citizens' rights, the exit Bill and NI border to enable FTA talks to start, of course it can be passed even during a No Deal period
    But the Withdrawal Agreement starts with us in the EU - if we have left the EU the starting point doesn't exist so everything becomes so much more complex..
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

algarkirk said:

"Without real consent"

Effectively yes.

Staggering. According to you we "effectively stopped" having General Elections over a 43 year period.

I need to have a lie down. I'm feeling, retrospectively, oppressed.
    I'm saying if at an election a party promises one thing then irreversibly changes things to do the complete opposite of what they said at the election then there was no consent.

Had manifesto commitments been honoured there would have been no Lisbon Treaty (or it would have gone through after consent was given at a referendum).
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,300
    I enjoyed today’s edition of an admittedly scurrilous celebrity gossip email.
This discussion has been closed.