Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour’s Falkirk problems seem to be going over many voters

13»

Comments

• Options
    tim said:

PoliticsHome ‏@politicshome 4m
    .@Nigel_Farage on the wording of a UKIP leaflet saying 29m people will come to the UK: "I absolutely stand by that wording" #bbcsp

I reckon he knows what he's doing on this one. If there's a big argument in the media about whether the right number is 27 million or 29 million that still gets his talking point in the news. Even if a very sophisticated UKIP-curious voter cottons on to the fact that not all those people will be moving to small towns on the East Coast of England, he's still raising the salience of his issues.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    I loved Theresa May's response to the usual suspects in her party calling for a ban on the burqa after one of the people suject to a TPIM allegedly escaped in one. Earlier another person on a TPIM had run off in a taxi and Theresa wondered why people werent calling for taxis to be banned as a result.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    edited November 2013
    O/T

During the upcoming week, David Cameron and William Hague will shake hands with war criminals in Sri Lanka who have committed some of the most heinous crimes this century.

Here is William Hague's weak defence (who ever said he was a decent Foreign Secretary - certainly wasn't me!). UK position now looking ridiculously silly as the Indian PM, Manmohan Singh will now boycott the event.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24886805
  • Options

I reckon he knows what he's doing on this one.

It's ugly politics but there's a gap in the market for it. Was a politically sensible issue to major on because no mainstream party was ever going to demean themselves enough to outflank him on it.
  • Options

tim said:

.@Nigel_Farage on the wording of a UKIP leaflet saying 29m people will come to the UK: "I absolutely stand by that wording" #bbcsp

I reckon he knows what he's doing on this one. If there's a big argument in the media about whether the right number is 27 million or 29 million that still gets his talking point in the news. Even if a very sophisticated UKIP-curious voter cottons on to the fact that not all those people will be moving to small towns on the East Coast of England, he's still raising the salience of his issues.
    I doubt there'll be a big debate on the number, 29 million is a reasonable stab at the entire population of Bulgaria and Romania combined, it's a bit on the high side though. I think the problem is more to do with the fact that UKIP are implying that every single Bulgarian and Romanian citizen will head to the country. It's not very plausible and they may have overplayed their hand on this one.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Political leaders often have to shake hands and meet with people with blood on their hands. It is part of international diplomacy.

The question is whether the meeting is likely to lead to less blood being spilled in the future.

Jaw Jaw is better than War War.

murali_s said:

O/T

During the upcoming week, David Cameron and William Hague will shake hands with war criminals in Sri Lanka who have committed some of the most heinous crimes this century.

Here is William Hague's weak defence (who ever said he was a decent Foreign Secretary - certainly wasn't me!). UK position now looking ridiculously silly as the Indian PM, Manmohan Singh will not boycott the event.

• Options

tim said:

I doubt there'll be a big debate on the number, 29 million is a reasonable stab at the entire population of Bulgaria and Romania combined, it's a bit on the high side though. I think the problem is more to do with the fact that UKIP are implying that every single Bulgarian and Romanian citizen will head to the country. It's not very plausible and they may have overplayed their hand on this one.
    How far out do they have to be to be scaremongering?

50%? 10% ?

I doubt we'll see 1%....which would still be a lot!
  • Options
    murali_s said:

O/TUK position now looking ridiculously silly as the Indian PM, Manmohan Singh will now boycott the event.

India is not boycotting the event - the Foreign Minister is going - and the PM's non-appearance may be as much to do with his party's shambolic internal politics as anything else - no reason for his non-appearance has been given, but it's not surprising that the supporters of the failed boycott are trying to make more out if this than may be the case....

• Options
    tim said:

tim said:

How far out do they have to be to be scaremongering?

50%? 10% ?

I doubt we'll see 1%....which would still be a lot!
    The liar IDS has set the bar pretty high

"Iain Duncan Smith's £2bn benefit tourism estimate cut by 92%"
    Surely the relevant benchmark is Labour's estimate of immigration from the A8 countries?
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    I signed on when I left uni back in the day to do a graduate work/training scheme - don't remember what it was called. You still signed on plus got an extra tenner a week for travel. I chose a research post that was relevant to my degree/in an area I was interested in. This led to a 'proper job' in research then another then... It was a great bridging option for me.
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    edited November 2013
    Neil said:

I loved Theresa May's response to the usual suspects in her party calling for a ban on the burqa after one of the people suject to a TPIM allegedly escaped in one. Earlier another person on a TPIM had run off in a taxi and Theresa wondered why people werent calling for taxis to be banned as a result.

If only we could get the IRA's kiddie-fiddlers banned as well. Oh, your point is...?
  • Options
    NextNext Posts: 826
    NEW THREAD
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    murali_s said:

O/T

Here is William Hague's weak defence (who ever said he was a decent Foreign Secretary - certainly wasn't me!). UK position now looking ridiculously silly as the Indian PM, Manmohan Singh will now boycott the event.

Your comment is in the tradition of a Guardian smear.

This discussion has been closed.