Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Johnson edges back to being an even stronger favourite on the

13»

Comments

• Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,870
    edited June 2019

I have mad moments when I think we should leave with No Deal, just so I can watch people like Truss being interviewed in December about those who have lost their family businesses or worse.

Certainly.

Indeed it may be the only thing worth looking forward to in these debauched and desperate times.

That and the pathetic befuddlement from “centrist” Brexiters that they never expected a Leave vote to thoroughly fuck the country.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,919
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

https://twitter.com/Jeremy_Hunt/status/1143931629959831552

If you're explaining you're losing & ratioed tweet alert.

Hunt = toast.

Hunt's fucked it. His only (slim) hope was relentless pressure on coward Boris and zero (0) fuck ups.

He fucked up.
    I think if Boris now wins he will replace Hunt as Foreign Secretary with Raab and just give Hunt Lidington's DPM role. Truss to become Chancellor and Javid to stay Home Secretary.

IDS to be Defence Secretary and Cleverly Party Chairman
    IDS defence. You are barking mad.

I know you are close to him but sacking Penny Mordaunt for IDS would be a step too far and confirm the party has taken leave of its senses
    IDS is an ex army officer and ideal for Defence.

Mordaunt can go to Education
    @HYUFD , I hope this is just your headcanon... :(
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    edited June 2019

Hodge now on about Chris 'I see no anti-Semites' Williamson.

Seems odd when there is a racist misogynist homophobe about to become PM Margaret Hodge chooses to obsess about Corbyn's questionable anti semitism.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,877

Let's put it this way. The odds on Richard Nabavi still being a member of the Conservative Party on the 1st November continue to lengthen.

Nabexit? Nabaviexit? Conexit?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Roger said:

Seems odd when there is a racist misogynist homophobe about to become PM Margaret Hodge chooses to obsess about Corbyn's questionable anti semitism.
    Boris is none of the above, Corbyn is.

The idea of calling Boris, who was the leading Tory to come out for Gay Marriage years before it was legalised, a homophobe is utterly absurd.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

@HYUFD What do you see in Grayling's future ?

Environment Secretary, replacing Gove who becomes Brexit Secretary.

Owen Paterson to become a new Brexit domestic Minister preparing the Home front for Brexit Deal or No Deal
    You are mad. Using words like home front show you up as a dinosaur.

We left that behind 50 years ago with its connections with the war

And if Grayling stays the party is unfit to govern
    I think Grayling will be replaced by Zac Goldsmith as Transport Secretary. Boris and Zac are very close.

It's also possible that Boris and Zac will reverse the decision on Heathrow 3rd runway. They are both passionately against it and it will help the Tories retain their West London seats.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,877
    edited June 2019
    nico67 said:

Good grief Liz Truss is absolutely awful.

I thought she did OK spinning for Bo-Jo .

Everyone knows all spending pledges are load of bullshit until we know what's happening with Brexit but she had a sparkle in her eye and played the game...

(and no I'm 100% NOT desperately trying to make amends for my earlier faux pas ;) )
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Owen Paterson to become a new Brexit domestic Minister preparing the Home front for Brexit Deal or No Deal

I think Grayling will be replaced by Zac Goldsmith as Transport Secretary. Boris and Zac are very close.

It's also possible that Boris and Zac will reverse the decision on Heathrow 3rd runway. They are both passionately against it and it will help the Tories retain their West London seats.
    Is it too late to bring back Boris Island?
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

Roger said:

The idea of calling Boris, who was the leading Tory to come out for Gay Marriage years before it was legalised, a homophobe is utterly absurd.
    Boris Johnson's sexist and homophobic articles about 'hot totty' and 'tank-topped bumboys' revealed:

https://www.businessinsider.com/boris-johnson-women-gay-people-sexism-bumboys-totty-toby-young-2018-1?r=US&IR=T
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Good idea.

We definitely need more Eton-educated nitwits in positions of power.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Roger said:

Yes, Boris is not racist and he's not misogynist and he's not homophobic. There are plenty of other strong reasons to dislike and distrust him, but the Left have to hug their comfort blankets instead. They just throw around 'racist misogynist and homophobic' as meaningless insults (and of course to distract from anti-semitism in Labour).
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:
    Ex-Deutsche Bank bankers trusted in the City?! Er, not by anyone who knows anything about DB, they aren't. So that's pretty much everyone in the City.
    It's all relative.

Do you think they want IDS or Grayling instead?
    Apparently when Grayling cancelled the conjugal prison visits policy after a Daily Mail campaign he said 'It won't happen on my watch'
  • Options

Roger said:

Boris Johnson's sexist and homophobic articles about 'hot totty' and 'tank-topped bumboys' revealed:

https://www.businessinsider.com/boris-johnson-women-gay-people-sexism-bumboys-totty-toby-young-2018-1?r=US&IR=T
    Utterly ridiculous article.

Those who actually care about politicians records on these matters have something different to say.
    https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2019/05/24/next-prime-minister-conservative-party-leadership-lgbt-gay/
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Hunt = toast.

Hunt's fucked it. His only (slim) hope was relentless pressure on coward Boris and zero (0) fuck ups.

He fucked up.
    I think if Boris now wins he will replace Hunt as Foreign Secretary with Raab and just give Hunt Lidington's DPM role. Truss to become Chancellor and Javid to stay Home Secretary.

I know you are close to him but sacking Penny Mordaunt for IDS would be a step too far and confirm the party has taken leave of its senses
    No further confirmation is required.
  • Options
    IDS should be confined, not returned to Cabinet. There is literally no planet in the multi-verse where he could be considered competent or popular.
  • Options

Roger said:

Is 'bumboys' how you refer to gays?
  • Options
    Roger said:

Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:
    Ex-Deutsche Bank bankers trusted in the City?! Er, not by anyone who knows anything about DB, they aren't. So that's pretty much everyone in the City.
    It's all relative.

Do you think they want IDS or Grayling instead?
    Apparently when Grayling cancelled the conjugal prison visits policy after a Daily Mail campaign he said 'It won't happen on my watch'
    Both contendors should sign a pledge that Grayling will never again be allowed back in the Cabinet.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502

Roger said:

Except for the fact he’s made several derogatory remarks towards gay people so which Bozo is the real Bozo .

Or perhaps he supported gay marriage when it was politically expedient to do so . Johnson has no principles and there’s too much turd polishing by his supporters who want to forget his past history .

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Hunt = toast.

He fucked up.

It's an absurd suggestion. Mordaunt promoted was one of the few things May got right. Why sack her?
    Hush, @HYUFD was almost the only one that spotted the Boris train early. We're getting... foresight here.
    I laid Boris at his then peak of evens and made a profit on him. Its not the train you need to see but the rollacoaster.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    The Dems simple arithmetic is whoever stimulates the African American vote should get the nom to beat Trump.
  • Options

Roger said:

Those who actually care about politicians records on these matters have something different to say.
    https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2019/05/24/next-prime-minister-conservative-party-leadership-lgbt-gay/
    He never used the term "Bumboy" then anywhere?
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Is 'bumboys' how you refer to gays?
    No. Find me any quote of Boris using that phrase in recent years rather than decades ago when he was a shock journalist.

When it comes to politics he has an excellent record.
  • Options

Roger said:

I don't think 20 years ago using an inappropriate term, which was apologised for over a decade ago when it was dragged back up, is enough to condemn someone as homophobic.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,100
    nico67 said:

All these spending pledges failing to understand that even if you could use the no deal buffer its not a yearly amount .

These tax cuts will cost the Treasury each year . Where are they going to find the money from .

Of course if debt has to fall it will be on services , low tax , low welfare , crap services is where the UK is heading .

When will poorer Leavers wake up , you’ve been had . Amazing so many Turkeys voted for Christmas .

Boris has announced a points system for migration tonight, is looking at a spending splurge with Javid and raising the threshold for low earners, so plenty of opportunity for poorer Leavers under Boris
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    nico67 said:

Except for the fact he’s made several derogatory remarks towards gay people so which Bozo is the real Bozo .

Or perhaps he supported gay marriage when it was politically expedient to do so . Johnson has no principles and there’s too much turd polishing by his supporters who want to forget his past history .

His entire past history is of throwing around colourful phrases for effect, without much thought for the consequences. Not a good attribute for a potential PM, to be sure, but who on earth could seriously think there was anything more to it than phrase-making?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,965
    Alistair said:

The Dems simple arithmetic is whoever stimulates the African American vote should get the nom to beat Trump.
    Mayor Pete is doing appallingly amongst the AA selectorate I think.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Corbyn's links to the extreme homophobes who rule Iran are far more dangerous than anything ever to have come out of Johnson's mouth on the subject.

And I say that as someone who doesn't want to see Johnson take power
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Hunt = toast.

He fucked up.

Do you ever think about how actions look.

Sacking a capable female defence secretary for IDS is beyond stupid
    The Maastricht rebellion, his leadership, the invasion of Iraq, universal credit, Brexit - has IDS ever been involved with anything that wasn’t disastrous in one way or other?
    IDS did a lot of good work on social justice and increased the number of Tory councillors as leader
    IDS was an utter joke as leader! I let my membership lapse when that nutter took over. It took quite some time and Cameron to take over for me to join the Tories again. The quiet man - lol. Shame he does not press his mute button and retire!
    At the 2003 local elections the Tories under IDS came first on 35% with Labour and the LDs tied second on 30% each
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,283
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Mayor Pete is doing appallingly amongst the AA selectorate I think.
    Yep. Doesn't look good for him. SC being a major example in the early season.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,845

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Can we pick which politicians get exiled there?
  • Options

Roger said:

I don't think 20 years ago using an inappropriate term, which was apologised for over a decade ago when it was dragged back up, is enough to condemn someone as homophobic.
    It is part of his history, he was well into adulthood and should have known better given his privileged education. Boris has got to the point in his career when he will be examined in minuet detail. Even the current PM was shown to have utilised opinions as a London Cllr candidate that would be seen as completely out of order now - she was lucky it came to light at the end of her Premiership instead of the start....
  • Options
    Some at least of the Cult are not happy tonight. Which reflects better on them:

https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1143923454296711170
  • Options

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Can we pick which politicians get exiled there?
    How big is this island?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Hunt = toast.

He fucked up.

The Maastricht rebellion, his leadership, the invasion of Iraq, universal credit, Brexit - has IDS ever been involved with anything that wasn’t disastrous in one way or other?
    IDS did a lot of good work on social justice and increased the number of Tory councillors as leader
    IDS was an utter joke as leader! I let my membership lapse when that nutter took over. It took quite some time and Cameron to take over for me to join the Tories again. The quiet man - lol. Shame he does not press his mute button and retire!
    At the 2003 local elections the Tories under IDS came first on 35% with Labour and the LDs tied second on 30% each
    Blair was in his second term, hardly a rampant Tory recovery given the backdrop of the controversial Iraq war which began in March 2003. IDS was an utterly useless leader, had Clarke been leader they would have got 40% plus in those local elections as Clarke was not so stupid to support the Iraq war....
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Hunt = toast.

He fucked up.

Blair was in his second term, hardly a rampant Tory recovery given the backdrop of the controversial Iraq war which began in March 2003. IDS was an utterly useless leader, had Clarke been leader they would have got 40% plus in those local elections as Clarke was not so stupid to support the Iraq war....
    The Tories under IDS were polling significantly more than they are now, Clarke would also have lost voters to UKIP even if he won some from the LDs
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

All these spending pledges failing to understand that even if you could use the no deal buffer its not a yearly amount .

These tax cuts will cost the Treasury each year . Where are they going to find the money from .

Of course if debt has to fall it will be on services , low tax , low welfare , crap services is where the UK is heading .

When will poorer Leavers wake up , you’ve been had . Amazing so many Turkeys voted for Christmas .

Boris has announced a points system for migration tonight, is looking at a spending splurge with Javid and raising the threshold for low earners, so plenty of opportunity for poorer Leavers under Boris
    Plenty of opportunity for the deficit to increase too.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    edited June 2019
    Remainers are coming for your pensions and benefits and cash for schools.

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1144010519625523200?s=21
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Remainers are coming for your pensions and benefits.

Do we get to stop paying tax if the Gov't stops spending as a quid pro quo ? I'm prepared to accept a bit of bin non emptying inconvenience for this cause.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Hunt = toast.

He fucked up.

If Boris wants him as his campaign chair, who are we to question that wisdom?
  • Options
    isam said:
    I see Goldman Sachs was slipped in by our Nige. No other organization or company mentioned.

Can't think why...
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

It turns out that Little Englanders want England littler, shorn of those vile Remain-voting areas.

I don't think anyone's advocated that, just had Remainers throw it about as absurd "what ifs" when there is zero evidence of independence movements in those regions.
    You’re ready to slough off Scotland and Northern Ireland in pursuit of the great white Brexit.
    I'm ready to do so if we remain in the EU too. I backed Yes in 2014 pre-Brexit when I was a Remainer. So your point is?
    My point is that mad Leavers want to destroy the UK in order to give it Brexit. And they wonder why Remainers aren’t flocking to support their vision.
    Leavers don’t want to destroy the union

But if the Scots or the Irish(N) decide to go their separate ways that is their right.

The U.K. voted to leave and Leavers are simply saying that must be implemented. It’s then up to others to exercise their rights should they wish.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Remainers are coming for your pensions and benefits and cash for schools.

This is like a Parliamentary equivalent of Secondary Picketing.

It is nonsense like this that makes proroguing Parliament seem rational. Bring on a shutdown, get out then sort it out.

Our cousins across the Pond can cope with shutdowns.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    If there is a shutdown will payments to the EU be frozen ? They might thrown us out....

Imagine your school or hospital closed while the EU still gets billions...
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    TGOHF said:

If there is a shutdown will payments to the EU be frozen ? They might thrown us out....

Imagine your school or hospital closed while the EU still gets billions...

I’m sure the government have emergency procedures in place in the event of parliament trying this.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

When Scots and Welsh and Irish and Northern Irish have been able to choose their own destiny, why should it be so horrific if the English decide they'd rather be able to do that too than remain shackled to what others who don't even seem to always like us think?

If Brexit was partly a desire for English sovereignty, don't be surprised if the European question goes a very different way once that aspiration is achieved. An independent England can't vote to be "Global Britain".
    You're right it can be called "Global England" and who's going to notice the difference?
    Global "England and Wales", Wales voted Leave too just like England even if Remain voting Scotland and Northern Ireland left the Union
    Can be like the England and Wales Cricket Team. Commonly called England.
    I think more substantially than "commonly" viz www.ecb.co.uk

The one day captain is Irish too.
    He's rum too.

It is amusing that entire website its hard to find any references to "and Wales" unless you look at the about page: https://www.ecb.co.uk/about-us/about-the-ecb

Seems like a fitting way to deal with the Welsh if they want to stick with us post-Brexit.
    What an arrogant and horrible way to talk about our Welsh brothers and sisters...
    Agree - not my sentiments
    The ECB is following history here.

Wales spent about 4 centuries being part of the Kingdom of England.

Its neither arrogant nor horrible for the ECB to do that, nor to say if the Welsh want to stick with England in the future if we reverted to the historical Kingdom of England that we should be able to handle it like that.
    And that modern nation state should be called "England and Wales".
    I think we should just call it after the older and more important of the two nation states.

That has the added advantage that 'Wales' is shorter and easier to spell.
    Logres? Or Lyonesse?
  • Options
    Off topic, on topic: What a weird line of questioning toward Hunt from Peston on the death of his sister.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,970

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

The most important bit of the Brewer tweet is not that she's chucking the Union to deliver Brexit but that she is cancelling the Ruth Davidson project to do so. I always said that Davidson was riding the tiger with her all Brexit to all people strategy and now the piper is demanding to be paid for the tune.

https://twitter.com/JuliaHB1/status/1143893495956037632?s=19

Yougov has shown most Scots back Brexit with a Canada style FTA for GB, it is only Brexit with No Deal they oppose

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2016/08/18/majority-people-think-freedom-movement-fair-price-
    You're now reduced to quoting polls from the immediate aftermath of the referendum in 2016?!
    No polling since has contradicted those findings
    LOL. No poll other than the one you were quoting earlier, which has 55% of Scots preferring Remain against any other option.

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/2v9b2rv2gl/TheTimes_190618_BrexitResults_w.pdf
    I know we don't agree often but in this I think you are absolutely right. I see no indications that the majority in Scotland would want anything other than Remain.

Of course my hope is that leaving does lead to them finally grasping Independence even if I think they would be foolish to then try and dilute that by returning to the EU fold.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    Wait, WTF? They are punishing everyone unless a withdrawal agreement is signed, which they refuse to vote for? All very well if they wanted a WA, not the WA, but the latter is the only one that is available. And we know Grieve would not vote for any WA.

Also if the E.U. doesn’t extend then we crash out unable to spend to assist

They are trying to double down on making “no deal” unappealing but in reality are completely idiotic
  • Options

Let's put it this way. The odds on Richard Nabavi still being a member of the Conservative Party on the 1st November continue to lengthen.

Wouldn’t you have to post a formal resignation so that would take at least a day for it to be processed?
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    As long as any PM gets approval for a no deal there’s no problem , sections of the government won’t shut down .

I don’t expect the amendment to carry anyway so it’s just MPs trying to put down a marker .
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762

nico67 said:

His entire past history is of throwing around colourful phrases for effect, without much thought for the consequences. Not a good attribute for a potential PM, to be sure, but who on earth could seriously think there was anything more to it than phrase-making?
    Perhaps those n the other end of his colourful ‘phrase-making’ ?

Shame he’s an utter bullshitter, or I’d take him up on those odds....
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/26/boris-johnson-chances-of-no-deal-brexit-are-a-million-to-one-against

• Options

isam said:
    I see Goldman Sachs was slipped in by our Nige. No other organization or company mentioned.

Can't think why...
    I don’t know the context but they are about the only investment bank people have heard of
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,019
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Hunt = toast.

He fucked up.

It's an absurd suggestion. Mordaunt promoted was one of the few things May got right. Why sack her?
    She backed Hunt over Boris and IDS served in the military
    If you think being a Lieutenant in the Scots Guards in any way qualifies him to be Secretary of State for Defence then you know nothing about either role.

Mordaunt is just continuity Williamson (eye catching press releases combined with actual cuts). She's not as sly or as cringey so I suppose she's got that going for her.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

The most important bit of the Brewer tweet is not that she's chucking the Union to deliver Brexit but that she is cancelling the Ruth Davidson project to do so. I always said that Davidson was riding the tiger with her all Brexit to all people strategy and now the piper is demanding to be paid for the tune.

https://twitter.com/JuliaHB1/status/1143893495956037632?s=19

Yougov has shown most Scots back Brexit with a Canada style FTA for GB, it is only Brexit with No Deal they oppose

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2016/08/18/majority-people-think-freedom-movement-fair-price-
    You're now reduced to quoting polls from the immediate aftermath of the referendum in 2016?!
    No polling since has contradicted those findings
    LOL. No poll other than the one you were quoting earlier, which has 55% of Scots preferring Remain against any other option.

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/2v9b2rv2gl/TheTimes_190618_BrexitResults_w.pdf
    I know we don't agree often but in this I think you are absolutely right. I see no indications that the majority in Scotland would want anything other than Remain.

Of course my hope is that leaving does lead to them finally grasping Independence even if I think they would be foolish to then try and dilute that by returning to the EU fold.
    As I posted earlier YouGov found most Scots still think a FTA for GB with the EU as a good outcome, they only see No Deal as a bad outcome, even if most Scots voted Remain there is no evidence whatsoever Scottish independence would get any real boost with a GB FTA, though it may well do with a No Deal Brexit
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Hunt = toast.

He fucked up.

If you think being a Lieutenant in the Scots Guards in any way qualifies him to be Secretary of State for Defence then you know nothing about either role.

Mordaunt is just continuity Williamson (eye catching press releases combined with actual cuts). She's not as sly or as cringey so I suppose she's got that going for her.
    IDS knows we need a strong military and will deliver it
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Hunt = toast.

He fucked up.

I salute your indefatigable optimism!
  • Options
    Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Hunt = toast.

He fucked up.

Well some of us have to counter the endless Remoanerism from some on here
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Hunt = toast.

He fucked up.

That’s a long way from thinking IDS would be a great defence secretary

He is a decent man, and a moral man. He had some interesting ideas on welfare reform. But administration - and the MoD is an administrative role - is not his strong point
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    edited June 2019
    HYUFD said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Hunt = toast.

He fucked up.

Well some of us have to counter the endless Realism oanerism from some on here
    Fixed it for you!

• Options
    edited June 2019

HYUFD said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Hunt = toast.

He fucked up.

Well some of us have to counter the endless Realismmoanerism from some on here
    Fixed it for you!

Fatalism and defeatism, not realism, a refusal to believe we can decide our own destiny
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Hunt = toast.

He fucked up.

Fixed it for you!

Fatalism and defeatism, not realism, a refusal to believe we can decide our own destiny
    https://twitter.com/grahamlithgow/status/1143895033738907649

The issue - as with the SNP and independence, is the fixation that the other side will 'bend to our will' - even though they're the much bigger party - calling that outs's not 'fatalism or defeatism' - its calling extreme optimism bordering on fantasy for what it is.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Hunt = toast.

He fucked up.

How will the UK pay for it? No Deal Brexit means a hit to the economy. Objectivley any form of Leave is projected to mean a smaller economy. Welfare cuts will not be very effective given UC is failing already. What is there to cut after 10 years of austerity?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Hunt = toast.

He fucked up.

Fixed it for you!

I dont think people have ever claimed we cannot make our own decisions. It is the cost of Leaving the existing framework and the potential barriers for business, individuals and capital that are the reasons for opposition. I really question your judgement as you seem to willingly jump on board an argument that is like a sinking ship! Each to their own I suppose and there is no better advocate than the convert...
  • Options
    edited June 2019

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Hunt = toast.

He fucked up.

How will the UK pay for it? No Deal Brexit means a hit to the economy. Objectivley any form of Leave is projected to mean a smaller economy. Welfare cuts will not be very effective given UC is failing already. What is there to cut after 10 years of austerity?
    HS2, overseas aid, the contributions we send to the EU, a whole range of things to choose from
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

Boris has announced a points system for migration tonight
    Isn't that what we currently have ex-EU citizens?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Hunt = toast.

He fucked up.

Its Belief doncha see?

Same with Brexit negotiations - all you've got to do is Believe and it will all be fine!
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Hunt = toast.

He fucked up.

Taxes! For both the high paid and low paid! And immigration. Meaning a smaller pool of tax payers.
    And of course a splurge in all forms of government spending too.
    Mc Donnell is becoming a paragon of fiscal rectitude by comparison.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,044
    Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Have I missed Zac demonstrating anything approaching competence?
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    edited June 2019

Corbyn's links to the extreme homophobes who rule Iran are far more dangerous than anything ever to have come out of Johnson's mouth on the subject.

And I say that as someone who doesn't want to see Johnson take power

Right, you do realise the Tories practice it at home and abroad... I don't know if you have heard of Saudi Arabia but it isn't particularly LGBT friendly. You may not have a problem with a homophobic leader who cosies up to homophobic regimes abroad and supplies them with weapons and support but be honest about it rather than trying to say 'but Labour'....

Edit: Was thinking more of the likely future Tory leader rather than the current one but the current one has some interesting quotes herself...
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884
    Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

Remainers are coming for your pensions and benefits.

Do we get to stop paying tax if the Gov't stops spending as a quid pro quo ? I'm prepared to accept a bit of bin non emptying inconvenience for this cause.
    Rubbish remoans in your bin
  • Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613
    Democratic Presidential debate is wild
    - Beto suddenly starts speaking Spanish midstream in his first answer tot he bemusement of the rest of the candidates, esp Booker.
    - DeBlasio calls for 70% top rate of federal tax
    - De Blasio and Warren say they want to abolish private health care
    - Castro raises the issue of abortion access for the transgendered.
    - All interspersed with four yorkshiremen like contrasts of how poor their parents were growing up.

Delaney and Klobuchar are the only ones with any restraint, and Klobuchaer ruined it by forcing in some canned zingers.

Warren has some detailed policy ideas, but it all has the air of a Student Union election where everyone is trying to one-up everyone else as to how progressive they are. They aren't just going after Trump,they are going after the last 80- years of American politics.

I suspect the large number of American Democrats who would be happy to just have the Obama era back will be watching this and line up right behind Joe Biden.

• Options
    Hilarious to see the pathetic performance by Angela Eagle in the House of Commons - this is a woman who, under the Blair ghoul, supported mass immigration especially of those of groups who would slavishly vote Labour.

What was that about rubbing the noses of the right in diversity, Angela? :smiley:
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,195
    Klobuchar says she'd negotiate a better deal with Iran. Sound familiar?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,195
    Iran aside, Klobuchar seems too sensible to get the nomination...

Maddow asks Klobuchar what she’s done for people of color.

She says her career has been about “economic opportunity”. When you have an economy that works you have to make sure it works for minority communities as well. That’s not going to excite many of the people working to promote minority rights. Then she talks about how she’ll make sure everyone can vote.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,743

Would you go Lib Dem? Or just be politically homeless?

I've been politically homeless since May took over. Though it seems hard to, putting Brexit to one side for a moment it feels good to be getting the Conservative Party back to a liberal Conservativism that I can support [whichever of Boris or Hunt wins] once authoritarian May is gone.
    In the absence of a new centre-right sane party I'd very reluctantly vote LibDem. There's not much I like about them, and in particular I don't like their Brexit policy, because I think the referendum result should have been implemented by parliament voting for the orderly Brexit on offer. So in that respect I blame the LibDems to some extent for the mess.

But, we are where we are, Crashing out in a humiliating no-deal disaster is the worst of all possible worlds. It doesn't even have the fig-leaf of respecting the referendum result, since what Leave voters were offered was a smooth transition and an amicable deal. Given that the ERG and fellow travellers have seemingly polarised the choice into No Deal or Revoke, revoke it has to be.

I would however vote Conservative if I had a candidate such as Amber Rudd or David Gauke who was sensible on this, and I might help such candidates if they are standing,
    The LD Brexit referendum policy becomes obsolete post No Deal Brexit. At that point there can no longer be a #peoplesvote. It isn't clear what policy would be at that point, but most likely CU and/or EEA membership with a view to accession talks. How the EU would take it is uncertain.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,248
    Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Hunt = toast.

He fucked up.

He is a decent man, and a moral man. He had some interesting ideas on welfare reform. But administration - and the MoD is an administrative role - is not his strong point
    This is total delusion. IDS was by some margin the worst Tory leader- there are several very good reasons why a coup was staged against him, even apart from being useless. This is beginning to look like a Downfall spoof... The Tories will be massacred and rightly.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    Good morning, everyone.

Not long until Austria. One suspects the Silver Arrows will enjoy themselves once again.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334
    This thread is passed on. It has ceased to be. Deprived of life, it rests in peace. It has expired and gone to meet its maker. It is an ex-thread.
  • Options
    Cicero said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Hunt = toast.

He fucked up.

This is total delusion. IDS was by some margin the worst Tory leader- there are several very good reasons why a coup was staged against him, even apart from being useless. This is beginning to look like a Downfall spoof... The Tories will be massacred and rightly.
    Yet more rubbish, IDS was a better Tory leader than Hague for example and may even have done better in 2005 than Howard.

Far from being massacred a Boris leadership will revive the Tories and squeeze back the Brexit Party
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    rcs1000 said:

Have I missed Zac demonstrating anything approaching competence?

Only in foul sectarian signalling to non-Muslim subcontinental populations.

And even that was more willingness than competence.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,509
    I did not like? Plato. Guff. Aristotle, I liked.
This discussion has been closed.