Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Johnson appears to be planning to ignore parliament if it soug

Comments

• Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,771
    HYUFD said:

The voting public still had Boris ahead of Hunt with Sky's poll yesterday

Yes but I think the voting public would be paying more attention to him during an election compared to now.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,012

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

I've never seen such unanimity on PB about the unsuitability of a politician for high office and particularly one from the right. Even Corbyn had his followers.

Only because the vast majority of PBers are Remainers determined to stop Brexit and they are frightened of Boris as he might actually win a general election and deliver Brexit
    When Pulpstar (I think it was) did a survey of regular PB posters a few months ago I believe the scores came to 44 Remain voters against 56 Leave voters.

Now, I am willing to believe a few erstwhile Leavers have seen the light since then but still the actual evidence hardly supports the suggestion that the "vast majority of PBers are Remainers".
    The last full survey of PBers I saw in 2015 was Tories and Labour about the national average but an over representation of LDs and an under representation of UKIP backers
    I take it you accept your earlier statement that the "vast majority of PBers are Remainers" is rubbish?
    No. The vast majority of PBers are not committed Leavers, Deal or No Deal
    HYUFD voted Remain
    I also respect democracy
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    So uniting the country is going ahead with a no deal policy only supported by 28% of those polled.

Revoke and remain 43% . The rest split between Mays deal and a softer Brexit .
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited June 2019

When do/did the Tory leadership ballot papers get issued to the members and when do they have to be returned by?

Ballots go out between July 6 and July 8.

Voting closes at 5pm on Monday 22 July.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

I've never seen such unanimity on PB about the unsuitability of a politician for high office and particularly one from the right. Even Corbyn had his followers.

Only because the vast majority of PBers are Remainers determined to stop Brexit and they are frightened of Boris as he might actually win a general election and deliver Brexit
    When Pulpstar (I think it was) did a survey of regular PB posters a few months ago I believe the scores came to 44 Remain voters against 56 Leave voters.

Now, I am willing to believe a few erstwhile Leavers have seen the light since then but still the actual evidence hardly supports the suggestion that the "vast majority of PBers are Remainers".
    The last full survey of PBers I saw in 2015 was Tories and Labour about the national average but an over representation of LDs and an under representation of UKIP backers
    I take it you accept your earlier statement that the "vast majority of PBers are Remainers" is rubbish?
    HYUFD voted Remain
    Yes I know, he's one of the 44 Remainers from (Pulpstar's?) list.

You're listed on the Leave side Sunil - shocking! :wink:
    Here it is:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JCJKfNJO-H7nOFF9ijezqPsfjR9f7UJ5H-ZWZM-u2Pk/edit?usp=sharing
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,312

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

HYUFD voted Remain

Me? Are you kidding? Hey, I was with you all the time! That was beautiful! Did you see the way they fell into our trap? Ha ha!
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687
    edited June 2019
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

Haha. So now 'committed' leavers are the only ones who count. Shameless goalpost moving.
    By definition if you are not committed to Leave you are willing to Remain
    The evidence (inconvenient, I know) suggests that PBers, like the country are split broadly evenly between Leave and Remain... there is no "vast majority" either way.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,312
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

HYUFD voted Remain
    I also respect democracy
    HYUFD is a remainer.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    HYUFD said:

CatMan said:

HYUFD said:

CatMan said:

Boris will still probably win the leadership, but if he runs a general election campaign like the way he's acting now, even someone like Corbyn could beat him.

A leadership campaign where he is still in the lead you mean?
    I'm sure most Tory members still love him, no matter what he does. I don't know whether the rest of the voting public would be so forgiving.
    The voting public still had Boris ahead of Hunt with Sky's poll yesterday and not one recent poll has had a Boris led Tory Party behind Corbyn Labour in voteshare
    I thought even Theresa May was more popular than Johnson?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

HYUFD voted Remain

Here it is:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JCJKfNJO-H7nOFF9ijezqPsfjR9f7UJ5H-ZWZM-u2Pk/edit?usp=sharing
    Thank-you @Pulpstar

Looks like a few names have been added and it's 49 Remain - 58 Leave.

Of course that's how posters voted, some will have changed their mind since then. @HYUFD is clearly one of them... although not adding to that mythical 'vast majority' of PB Remainers.

• Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

HYUFD voted Remain

Me? Are you kidding? Hey, I was with you all the time! That was beautiful! Did you see the way they fell into our trap? Ha ha!
    I know it must be hard for you to admit you voted Leave, given how well it has worked out an' all.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

HYUFD voted Remain
    I also respect democracy
    So, if a future PM and monarch prorogue parliament, you’re fine with that?
  • Options

When do/did the Tory leadership ballot papers get issued to the members and when do they have to be returned by?

Ah, thank-you.

So plenty of time for Boris's inimitable campaign to make an impact then before Tory members actually vote. Interesting.

Why the delay in sending the ballots out I wonder? - seems like the whole thing could have been done two weeks quicker.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,305

CatMan said:

Boris will still probably win the leadership, but if he runs a general election campaign like the way he's acting now, even someone like Corbyn could beat him.

It is a joke campaign!

Like with Brexit Leavers, the Tories are not listening to the public. They will regret propelling Boris into No.10!
    Were this the Tory party of yore - packed with seasoned old sceptics quite prepared to teach young master Johnson a lesson for his presumptions - then I imagine Boris would already be toast. It’s the new Kipper element, with its pomposity and entitlement, that will wave Boris through.

• Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

HYUFD voted Remain

Here it is:

Thank-you @Pulpstar

Looks like a few names have been added and it's 49 Remain - 58 Leave.

Of course that's how posters voted, some will have changed their mind since then. @HYUFD is clearly one of them... although not adding to that mythical 'vast majority' of PB Remainers.

It is not how posters voted, or at least not in my case, so I would guess it is somehow inferred from postings.
  • Options

Why is Malcolm Rifkind still a thing?

It is like asking the disgraced Linford Christie to commentate the Olympic Games.

Can you elaborate?
    https://www.google.se/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/cash-for-access-scandal-sir-malcolm-rifkind-to-step-down-as-mp-for-kensington-and-chelsea-10066651.html?amp
  • Options
    Is Boris's untidiness going to be his Achilles' heel?

Or will it just lead to athlete's foot?

• Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

I think he was just talking about the cerebral ones
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

HYUFD voted Remain
    I also respect democracy
    Well if Parliament tried to revoke rather than implement the will of the people to Leave the EU so be it
  • Options
    Roger said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

I think he was just talking about the cerebral ones
    Good point!
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

HYUFD voted Remain
    I also respect democracy
    Well if Parliament tried to revoke rather than implement the will of the people to Leave the EU so be it
    Edit: Red rag alert :wink:

The will of 37.5% of the people.
  • Options
    Roger said:

HYUFD said:

CatMan said:

HYUFD said:

CatMan said:

I'm sure most Tory members still love him, no matter what he does. I don't know whether the rest of the voting public would be so forgiving.
    The voting public still had Boris ahead of Hunt with Sky's poll yesterday and not one recent poll has had a Boris led Tory Party behind Corbyn Labour in voteshare
    You thought wrong, even Survation on Sunday had the Tories 2% behind Labour with May, 3% behind with Hunt but tied with Labour under Boris
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

HYUFD voted Remain
    I also respect democracy
    In which case, you are not a democrat.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    nico67 said:

So uniting the country is going ahead with a no deal policy only supported by 28% of those polled.

Yougov had a poll last month where No Deal was preferred to Revoke on a forced choice everywhere in GB bar London and Scotland
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

HYUFD voted Remain
    I also respect democracy
    Well you clearly are not if you refuse to respect the Leave vote
  • Options
    @TSE's Hunt punt is looking better every day, just saying.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    edited June 2019

None of this media hysteria about Boris will make any difference with Con members.

They think Boris will deliver Brexit and Hunt is Theresa May in a suit. Therefore Boris will win by a very comfortable margin.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

None of this media hysteria about Boris will make any difference with Con members.

They think Boris will deliver Brexit and Hunt is Theresa May in a suit. Therefore Boris will win by a very comfortable margin.
    We'll see.

Night all!
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

Yougov had a poll last month where No Deal was preferred to Revoke on a forced choice everywhere in GB bar London and Scotland

Both of which are in GB.

• Options
    GIN1138 said:

That is unquestionable. Our two major parties have become cults.

• Options
    GIN1138 said:

Yes, all that has happened is that it will be Boris 60% Hunt 40% rather than Boris 70% Hunt 30% which was never really sustainable anyway
  • Options
    edited June 2019

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

Both of which are in GB.

GB voters overall narrowly preferred No Deal to Revoke in the poll, 44% to 42%

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/04/04/what-do-public-think-about-no-deal-brexit
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

HYUFD voted Remain
    I also respect democracy
    Parliament is not the sole expression of democracy that we have in the 21st century.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Yes, all that has happened is that it will be Boris 60% Hunt 40% rather than Boris 70% Hunt 30% which was never really sustainable anyway
    If I was making a prediction I'd say 66% to 34%
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Yep below the line in all the right hotspots (Mail comments, UKIP Home) it's all pro Boris. I think that should be representative of the Tory membership by and large.
    Boris will win.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

HYUFD voted Remain
    I also respect democracy
    What would you say if parliament blocked another indyref ?
  • Options

Ah, thank-you.

So plenty of time for Boris's inimitable campaign to make an impact then before Tory members actually vote. Interesting.

Why the delay in sending the ballots out I wonder? - seems like the whole thing could have been done two weeks quicker.
    Presumably to give time for campaigning.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

HYUFD voted Remain
    I also respect democracy
    I voted Leave myself, but never saw it as a Vote to Leave regardless of the circumstances. The 51.8% Leave Vote was a Coalition which embraced Soft Leavers- Hard Leavers - Norway Deal Leavers - Canada Deal Leavers -as well as those wishing to Leave without a deal. The latter group on its own would almost certainly have lost pretty heavily in June 2016.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,871

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

HYUFD voted Remain

Which side am I on?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

HYUFD voted Remain

Which side am I on?
    Definitely voted to leave.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

Both of which are in GB.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/04/04/what-do-public-think-about-no-deal-brexit

When they actually cast votes in national elections they give a majority of them to parties that reject No Deal. That said, being split so evenly in BXP-friendly YouGov does not bode well for No Dealers should it actually happen.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

Don't you worry that half your MPs didn't vote for him in the final round even knowing he was a certainty to win? They were prepared to vote for a loser rather than give him a rousing victory.. I suspect that will be reflected among Tory voters throughout the land
  • Options

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

If I was making a prediction I'd say 66% to 34%
    If so that would be about the same margin as Cameron beat Davis in 2005 but I think it will be a bit closer and about the same margin IDS beat Clarke in 2001
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

HYUFD voted Remain
    I also respect democracy
    I voted Leave myself, but never saw it as a Vote to Leave regardless of the circumstances. The 51.8% Leave Vote was a Coalition which embraced Soft Leavers- Hard Leavers - Norway Deal Leavers - Canada Deal Leavers -as well as those wishing to Leave without a deal. The latter group on its own would almost certainly have lost pretty heavily in June 2016.
    Not so sure, Yougov has had No Deal beating Revoke on a forced choice in at least one poll even if most want to Leave with a Deal rather than No Deal

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

HYUFD voted Remain
    I also respect democracy
    What would you say if parliament blocked another indyref ?
    What would he think if the Scots voted Yes and an IndyRef but then Parliamentary intrasigence blocked it being implemented?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,627
    Build up for the Democratic candidates debate has started - a full day ahead of the first debate!

20 candidates over two nights. Sounds like 14 too many.

Mind, I do enjoy watching MSNBC.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,871
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

HYUFD voted Remain

Which side am I on?
    Definitely voted to leave.
    Ok thanks.

It was a long time ago and I thought it would result in a GE which the Tories would lose their majority. I did not inhale.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

Both of which are in GB.

When they actually cast votes in national elections they give a majority of them to parties that reject No Deal. That said, being split so evenly in BXP-friendly YouGov does not bode well for No Dealers should it actually happen.

Yougov correctly had the anti Brexit LDs ahead of the pro Brexit Corbyn Labour Party in its final European Parliament elections poll unlike most pollsters
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

Soft leavers count as remainers. And soft now includes people who are not willing to see no deal.
    It used to be that people who wanted EFTA/EEA were not true Leavers.

Now, it's people who want any kind of deal with the EU.
  • Options
    Roger said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

Don't you worry that half your MPs didn't vote for him in the final round even knowing he was a certainty to win? They were prepared to vote for a loser rather than give him a rousing victory.. I suspect that will be reflected among Tory voters throughout the land
    Boris got a higher percentage of MPs backing him in the final round than IDS and Cameron did
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

Soft leavers count as remainers. And soft now includes people who are not willing to see no deal.

No, not if they want a Deal but still prefer No Deal to Revoke.

If they prefer Revoke to No Deal they are clearly not true Leavers
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

Both of which are in GB.

Yougov correctly had the anti Brexit LDs ahead of the pro Brexit Corbyn Labour Party in its final European Parliament elections poll unlike most

Yes, it was only beyond margin of error with BXP. It still correctly forecast a majority of votes going to parties that explicitly reject No Deal, but not by as much as was actually the case.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

It’s amazing you’ve been bigging up one poll a few weeks old showing Bozo doing well and didn’t like anything since which didn’t show him as popular . Now this latest YouGov doesn’t tell you what you want to hear so we’re now back to a two month old poll because you liked the results .

Can you let us know which polling is allowed through the Bozo is Marvelous filter.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

Euroscepticism is radicalising itself into long-term irrelevance. When any kind of deal with the EU is equated with signing up to the full superstate, there's no middle ground left.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

There is a world difference between "not willing to see no deal" and "want any kind of deal".

I want a deal. I'm prepared to see no deal if we can't get a deal.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

CatMan said:

HYUFD said:

CatMan said:

You thought wrong, even Survation on Sunday had the Tories 2% behind Labour with May, 3% behind with Hunt but tied with Labour under Boris
    Was that before he soiled himself with his courtesan?
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Tory leadership race a fair bit like the 2016 GOP primary I think - here's the analogues (Betfair traders will recognise them)

Trump = Boris !
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Ted Cruz = Jeremy Hunt
    Jeb Bush = Leadsom
    Marco Rubio = Rory Stewart
    Ben Carson = Dominic Raab
    John Kasich = Michael Gove
    Chris Christie = Sajid Javid
    Rand Paul = Esther Mcvey
    Jim Gilmore = Mark Harper
    Andy Martin = Graham Brady
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,697
    HYUFD said:
    And Boris is the candidate most likely to give us such an election.....
  • Options
    nico67 said:

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

It’s amazing you’ve been bigging up one poll a few weeks old showing Bozo doing well and didn’t like anything since which didn’t show him as popular . Now this latest YouGov doesn’t tell you what you want to hear so we’re now back to a two month old poll because you liked the results .

Can you let us know which polling is allowed through the Bozo is Marvelous filter.
    The latest Yougov does not include a forced Deal v No Deal choice unlike the poll I linked to
  • Options
    Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

CatMan said:

HYUFD said:

CatMan said:

Sky yesterday had Boris still ahead of Hunt with the public even after that
  • Options
    Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

CatMan said:

HYUFD said:

CatMan said:

"courtesan"?
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    And Boris is the candidate most likely to give us such an election.....
    Win/win.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Well look at that .... Boris' lead unchanged with the relevant selectorate.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:
    Well look at that .... Boris' lead unchanged with the relevant selectorate.
    Indeed, it seems Hunt has built up a lead amongst diehard Remainers unfortunately for him few of them will be voting in the Tory leadership ballot
  • Options
    So what should Bozos response be to a likely journalist question if no deal becomes government policy . So for example .

Prime Minister you’ve said you’re now going to go ahead with a no deal , what do you say to the workers at Nissan who have been told the site will be closed and they’ll lose their jobs because of your governments policy.

Can Leavers not see that once no deal becomes actual policy the wheels will fall off quickly.

Can someone explain to me how MPs can survive endorsing a no deal , how do you say to your constituents that you’re waving through that policy .

A government pursuing no deal means business will have hard decisions to make , are Leavers sure they’re going to stick by the UK.

• Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

HYUFD voted Remain

Here it is:

Spreadsheet qualification is 100 posts.

Wondering why I'm not listed - just checked the system and it says I've done 4,905 posts since March 2013 - though true total will be much higher as I joined in 2005.

For the record I should be added to the Remain column - I'm a Con remainer - though I'm just about backing Boris - primarily on electability grounds.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

So what should Bozos response be to a likely journalist question if no deal becomes government policy . So for example .

Prime Minister you’ve said you’re now going to go ahead with a no deal , what do you say to the workers at Nissan who have been told the site will be closed and they’ll lose their jobs because of your governments policy.

Can Leavers not see that once no deal becomes actual policy the wheels will fall off quickly.

Can someone explain to me how MPs can survive endorsing a no deal , how do you say to your constituents that you’re waving through that policy .

A government pursuing no deal means business will have hard decisions to make , are Leavers sure they’re going to stick by the UK.

Boris wants to deliver a FTA for GB and ultimately let Northern Ireland voters decide on the backstop.

However he will deliver a No Deal Brexit if it is the only option left to ensure we Leave the EU
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

Boris wants to deliver a FTA for GB and ultimately let Northern Ireland voters decide on the backstop.

However he will deliver a No Deal Brexit if it is the only option left to ensure we Leave the EU
    How does that get by the DUP?
  • Options
    Evening.

Reassuring stuff from Team Boris today. We can afford to ignore up to 649 MPs, it is the voice of the 17m+ what matters. Boris will secure his place in history if he acts on his word. He's nailed on to have my vote in the members ballot.
  • Options

Euroscepticism is radicalising itself into long-term irrelevance. When any kind of deal with the EU is equated with signing up to the full superstate, there's no middle ground left.

Not sure how you come to that conclusion when had you asked how many support No Deal back in 2016, it would have been single-digit numbers. It now represents the bulk of the Leave vote. If anything, Euroscepticism is becoming more relevant and is growing stronger.

I always thought the more the European Union was exposed to the light, the more attitudes would harden towards it. To put it bluntly, a sizable number of the population now view the EU through the same lense as Godfrey Bloom.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

HYUFD voted Remain

Here it is:

Wondering why I'm not listed - just checked the system and it says I've done 4,905 posts since March 2013 - though true total will be much higher as I joined in 2005.

For the record I should be added to the Remain column - I'm a Con remainer - though I'm just about backing Boris - primarily on electability grounds.
    Done
  • Options
    Not only are there 10 candidates in tomorrow's Dem debate, there are 5 moderators. OTT+
  • Options
    nico67 said:

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

How does that get by the DUP?
    A Boris Tory majority after a likely pre October general election means it does not need to
  • Options

Evening.

Reassuring stuff from Team Boris today. We can afford to ignore up to 649 MPs, it is the voice of the 17m+ what matters. Boris will secure his place in history if he acts on his word. He's nailed on to have my vote in the members ballot.

Isn't number one item in the would be dictator's playbook the claim to be able to hear the true voice of the people, ahead of the systems of checks and balances?

I voted - and argued passionately - for Leave on here. If it was a choice between Revoke and No Deal, I would go for No Deal.

But I find this willingness to cast aside our elected representatives, and other inconveniences deeply disturbing.

I'd rather not get what I want right now, but the British constitution remain intact that achieve what I want at the cost of the institutions that have served this country dear over the past 400 years.

Simply, I love my country and our parliament more than I dislike the EU.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,955
    Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

HYUFD voted Remain

Here it is:

Done
    That is rather cool. I note you have avoided trying to classify SeanT. Probably very wise.

And if you are updating then I believe Nigel Foremain, Southam Observer and Nico67 should be added to the 'Voted Remain' side.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

There is a world difference between "not willing to see no deal" and "want any kind of deal".

I want a deal. I'm prepared to see no deal if we can't get a deal.
    With all due respect, there is time for Mrs May's Deal and there's time for No Deal.

If Boris Johnson said "If the EU is unwilling to reopen negotiations, then we'll be leaving on 31 October", then that would be one thing. He's saying instead "We will definitely be leaving on 31 October."

And I'd like to say that that's refreshingly honest. But it's not, because he's also saying he's going to get a new deal.

So, is he lying about trying to get a new deal? Or is he lying about leaving on 31 October?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

HYUFD voted Remain

Here it is:

Done
    That is rather cool. I note you have avoided trying to classify SeanT. Probably very wise.

And if you are updating then I believe Nigel Foremain, Southam Observer and Nico67 should be added to the 'Voted Remain' side.
    I think SeanT has been on both sides of the spreadsheet. Often switching between drinks. He's starts off as a cool, sober detached Leaver. Then he becomes a melancholy drunk and worries about the value of his flat, and switches to Remain. Finally he becomes belligerent and suggests invading France.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

HYUFD voted Remain

Here it is:

Done

SeanT voted to leave. JackW and Cycle free I'm not sure on and they won't tell me or anyone else.
    As is their right
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

HYUFD voted Remain

Here it is:

Done

SeanT voted to leave. JackW and Cycle free I'm not sure on and they won't tell me or anyone else.
    As is their right
    Those of us who know who JackW is know how he voted.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,977
    Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

HYUFD voted Remain

Here it is:

Done
    Hey Pulpstar. Bung me on that list as a Remainer if you would be so kind?
  • Options
    You can add me to the spreadsheet if you wish.

For anyone in doubt, Leave. :wink:
  • Options

You can add me to the spreadsheet if you wish.

For anyone in doubt, Leave. :wink:

Thanks Ryan :smile:
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

HYUFD voted Remain

Here it is:

Done

As is their right
    :no_mouth:
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    rcs1000 said:

Evening.

Isn't number one item in the would be dictator's playbook the claim to be able to hear the true voice of the people, ahead of the systems of checks and balances?

I voted - and argued passionately - for Leave on here. If it was a choice between Revoke and No Deal, I would go for No Deal.

But I find this willingness to cast aside our elected representatives, and other inconveniences deeply disturbing.

I'd rather not get what I want right now, but the British constitution remain intact that achieve what I want at the cost of the institutions that have served this country dear over the past 400 years.

I think you are completely wrong on this. There is no casting aside of the constitution at all. The making and unmaking of treaties is part of the Royal Prerogative. As such the PM has the absolute right within the constitution as it stands to enact No Deal if they wish. The Miller case only said that Parliament had to be consulted and approval sought for the process to begin. They did not overturn or alter any other part of the Royal Prerogative. Parliament duly voted to allow the PM to enact Article 50. They had their say and clearly expressed it.

Personally I would like to see the whole use of Royal Prerogative ended but the idea that using it in this case is somehow casting aside 400 years of our constitutional institutions is simply wrong. In fact it is Parliament that is seeking to do that by seizing control without going through the proper procedures of actually removing Royal Prerogative.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

HYUFD voted Remain

Here it is:

Done

As is their right
    You tease!
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Evening.

I think you are completely wrong on this. There is no casting aside of the constitution at all. The making and unmaking of treaties is part of the Royal Prerogative. As such the PM has the absolute right within the constitution as it stands to enact No Deal if they wish. The Miller case only said that Parliament had to be consulted and approval sought for the process to begin. They did not overturn or alter any other part of the Royal Prerogative.

Personally I would like to see the whole use of Royal Prerogative ended but the idea that using it in this case is somehow casting aside 400 years of our constitutional institutions is simply wrong. In fact it is Parliament that is seeking to do that by seizing control without going through the proper procedures of actually removing Royal Prerogative.
    I don't disagree with you on this. I don't think the Executive should be taking instructions from the Legislature.

However, the Legislature does have one weapon. It has the ability to call a Vote of No Confidence in Her Majesty's Government.

So, I am specifically talking about mechanisms used by the Executive to avoid such an outcome.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Evening.

I think you are completely wrong on this. There is no casting aside of the constitution at all. The making and unmaking of treaties is part of the Royal Prerogative. As such the PM has the absolute right within the constitution as it stands to enact No Deal if they wish. The Miller case only said that Parliament had to be consulted and approval sought for the process to begin. They did not overturn or alter any other part of the Royal Prerogative.

I don't disagree with you on this. I don't think the Executive should be taking instructions from the Legislature.

However, the Legislature does have one weapon. It has the ability to call a Vote of No Confidence in Her Majesty's Government.

So, I am specifically talking about mechanisms used by the Executive to avoid such an outcome.
    The only one I have heard of is proroguing Parliament and I thought the only person suggesting that was Raab.

I agree that is not something that should be encouraged.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    rcs1000 said:

Why? Revocation doesn’t mean no Brexit ever. It would just reset things in a way that did no damage. Furthermore some people think it would help get a government elected that was committed to doing Brexit properly.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546

Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

HYUFD voted Remain

Here it is:

Done

As should I.
    You’ll have to move SeanT between columns most days.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

rcs1000 said:

Why? Revocation doesn’t mean no Brexit ever. It would just reset things in a way that did no damage. Furthermore some people think it would help get a government elected that was committed to doing Brexit properly.
    Revocation means Nige becomes PM.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    edited June 2019
    I’m not on the spreadsheet.

Remain obviously.

Euro and Schengen please.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

HYUFD voted Remain

Here it is:

Done

And me
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013

The original Lib Dem decapitation strategy was back in 2005 which was in a more innocent era.

When the GBP showed that they might be opposed to warcrimes in principle, but wouldn't necessarily vote against them.
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Hmmmm. Bit late to try to win support of “traitors”, ”saboteurs” and “citizens of nowhere”.

None of those terms should be used although the last was mischievously and deliberately misinterpreted
    It was pure Nick Timothy though. And he has gone full Bannon. So I think the misinterpretation was not inaccurate.
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,679
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

Both of which are in GB.

That's not true, the question was "If the European Union refused a further extension, and Britain was faced with a stark choice between Remaining or No Deal" - the EU did grant an extension in April and so the situation has since changed. There are also a large number of DKs. I don't know if similar polling has been done asking the same question re 31st Oct.
This discussion has been closed.