Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » 3 days before he lost GE2010 voters in the marginals rated

Comments

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    @TGOHF At times Ed M's speech making follows a pattern, and this is one of them..

"It is great to be in (insert place here).

Last (insert date and place) link to what the dear leader was doing,
    Anecdote.
    then add cause of the week/theme from grid.

Conclude with One Nation Labour...
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

New Hodges Falkirk non story blog retweet in 5 4 3 2...

And Dan Hodges joins in, but not with a tweet...!

“Yesterday, after days of growing political fallout over the vote-rigging scandal, Labour finally issued a formal statement. The statement was drawn up after The Sunday Times had published the contents of over 1000 leaked emails to and from the local Unite official and CLP chair Stevie Deans, which threw a damning new light on the whole affair.”

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danhodges/100244380/cock-up-and-conspiracy-what-do-labour-and-ed-miliband-think-theyre-doing-over-falkirk/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''Which means that the cost of those outside that section are even larger.''

Absolutely. A small number of countries are incurring a large number of costs and social problems.

But we are not allowed to say that in case the race industry gets angry. They like to see immigration as one issue, rather than the multitude of issues that it is.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    taffys said:

''If the report had separated out the groups you mention, they would probably make a similar net fiscal contribution per head to people from the EEA. ''

If not higher. Which means that others are letting down the side big time for the average to be so low....

A fictional detective goes into a chemist and asks for some laxatives

• Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Priceless in light of what the Falkirk/Unite/Labour row nearly cost Scotland in terms of the near closure of Grangemouth.
    Twitter
    charlie whelan ‏@charliewhelan 30s
    Hacks obsession with political process #falkirk shows how out of touch they are with real issues that effect real people like low pay
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

dr_spyn said:

write your own Ed M spech once again.

"It is great to be here in Battersea with you today. Last Friday, I was in my constituency, at the local Citizens Advice Bureau. And I talked to some people who had been preyed upon by payday lenders.There was a woman there in floods of tears."

It is great to be in (insert place here). Last (insert date and place) link to what the dear leader was doing then add cause of the week/theme from grid...all stand, all applaud, cheers...

He really does think that people aren't responsible for their own actions and need to be managed by the state in every facet of their lives.

Marxism lives.

So preyed upon they typed in the form and got the money...
  • Options
    "There is an old saying in politics that if you want to find the genuine rationale for any political crisis its best to look for the cock-up, rather than the conspiracy. Miliband has somehow managed to combine the two. Falkirk has become a gold-plated Labour Party cock-up and a gold-plated Labour Party conspiracy."

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danhodges/100244380/cock-up-and-conspiracy-what-do-labour-and-ed-miliband-think-theyre-doing-over-falkirk/
  • Options
    All those non-story questions for Ed..... what do those jornos think they're doing??
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,941
    edited November 2013
    Outside of the Westminster village (& possibly Falkirk itself) does anyone actually give a toss about Falkirk ?
    I suppose if the story becomes about Ed's judgement it becomes prescient but I'd lump it in at about the same (non) prescience as Dave's relation (or not) with that other story.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

TGOHF said:

dr_spyn said:

write your own Ed M spech once again.

"It is great to be here in Battersea with you today. Last Friday, I was in my constituency, at the local Citizens Advice Bureau. And I talked to some people who had been preyed upon by payday lenders.There was a woman there in floods of tears."

It is great to be in (insert place here). Last (insert date and place) link to what the dear leader was doing then add cause of the week/theme from grid...all stand, all applaud, cheers...

He really does think that people aren't responsible for their own actions and need to be managed by the state in every facet of their lives.

Marxism lives.

So preyed upon they typed in the form and got the money...
    Those evil pay day lenders probably spent their cash for them on booze and fags too.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370
    Pulpstar said:

Outside of the Westminster village (& possibly Falkirk itself) does anyone actually give a toss about Falkirk ?
    I suppose if the story becomes about Ed's judgement it becomes prescient but I'd lump it in at about the same (non) prescience as Dave's relation (or not) with that other story.

I follow politics pretty closely and Falkirk is a story that I have allowed to pass me by. I have no idea of the ins and outs of Deans, Joyce et al, save when I hear someone putting pressure on EdM to do something (which makes me smile).

It is good once in a while to not follow a story (or miss PMQs one week) to understand how the 99.99% of the Great British Public views all of politics.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Read the Scottish papers - this is turning into a poisonous 'English Labour' defending 'English Unite bosses' against 'Scottish Labour & Scottish Voters'. And the solution - 'English Labour' will anoint the candidate of their choice for Falkirk on December 8.....
  • Options
    tim said:

This is where they say, Japan was different because it was funded by domestic lending, yet the BoE printing money and buying its own debt doesn't count as domestic, it was a sign of magnificence by Osborne.

There's no hope, you'll be here all day.

Given an armed-cadre of five Latvian (homophobe) care-workers Wee-Timmy cannot help but to expose himself. Gormless McBruin chuckles at another useless eejit....

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,855
    tim said:

taffys said:

''If the report had separated out the groups you mention, they would probably make a similar net fiscal contribution per head to people from the EEA. ''

If not higher. Which means that others are letting down the side big time for the average to be so low....

Or you might want to argue that asylum seekers should be allowed to work

Rules relating to asylum seekers working certainly don't explain the very sharp divergence between employment rates between the British-born population and non-EEA immigrants.

• Options
    From the Telegraph Blog you linked to - "This is the extent of the ludicrous, cack-handed mess Labour has somehow managed to get itself into. This morning it is actually pretending the emails, redrafted witness statements and discussions about how to undermine the initial internal inquiry and flat-out rigging of the Falkirk selection are all illusory. The Sunday Times made them up. This newspaper made them up. The BBC made them up. Alistair Darling made them up. There is “no new evidence”.

There is an old saying in politics that if you want to find the genuine rationale for any political crisis its best to look for the cock-up, rather than the conspiracy. Miliband has somehow managed to combine the two. Falkirk has become a gold-plated Labour Party cock-up and a gold-plated Labour Party conspiracy.

There is new evidence. Not just some new evidence; masses of evidence. Thousands of emails jam packed full of the stuff. The police are investigating this non-evidence. The media are investigating this non-evidence. Now the time has come for Labour’s leader to wake up, to tell his communications team to wake up, and announce Labour is going to investigate this non-evidence itself."

TGOHF said:

New Hodges Falkirk non story blog retweet in 5 4 3 2...

And Dan Hodges joins in, but not with a tweet...!

“Yesterday, after days of growing political fallout over the vote-rigging scandal, Labour finally issued a formal statement. The statement was drawn up after The Sunday Times had published the contents of over 1000 leaked emails to and from the local Unite official and CLP chair Stevie Deans, which threw a damning new light on the whole affair.”

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danhodges/100244380/cock-up-and-conspiracy-what-do-labour-and-ed-miliband-think-theyre-doing-over-falkirk/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited November 2013
    Pulpstar said:

No they don't, and, even if they did, 'union tries to stitch up Labour selection' is not exactly going to make anyone choke over their cornflakes in surprise.

However, that doesn't mean the story isn't significant - it is, in two ways. Firstly it is a symptom of underlying tensions within Labour, which it will itself exacerbate - it's a proxy for policy and personality wars bubbling under the surface and indicative of poor leadership by Ed. Secondly, and more important, it's going to make Ed's relationship with the unions, and his attempt to reform the structure, extremely difficult.
  • Options
    Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 2m
    Daily Mail's @ShippersUnbound asks EdM: "On a scale of 1 to 10 just how frightened of @Unite4Len and @tom_watson are you?"

oh dear....
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    taffys said:

''Which means that the cost of those outside that section are even larger.''

Absolutely. A small number of countries are incurring a large number of costs and social problems.

But we are not allowed to say that in case the race industry gets angry. They like to see immigration as one issue, rather than the multitude of issues that it is.

Modern lefty attitudes to arguments of race and immigration tend to clump immigrants as one monolithic block of people, much in the way fighters of real racism used to warn against

• Options
    Paul Waugh tweets: "Daily Mail's @ShippersUnbound asks EdM: "On a scale of 1 to 10 just how frightened of @Unite4Len and @tom_watson are you?"

• Options

Pulpstar said:

No they don't, and, even if they did, 'union tries to stitch up Labour selection' is not exactly going to make anyone choke over their cornflakes in surprise.

However, that doesn't mean the story isn't significant - it is, in two ways. Firstly it is a symptom of underlying tensions within Labour, which it will itself exacerbate - it's a proxy for policy and personality wars bubbling undeer the surface and indicative of poor leadership by Ed. Secondly, and more important, it's going to make Ed's relationship with the unions, and his attempt to reform the structure, extremely difficult.
    WRT your second point, exactly.

Why? – Because in the background, but still looming large, is Ed Miliband's promise to reform Labour's relationship with the trade union movement. To discard old politics and old elites; to create "a politics that is open, transparent and trusted." - Fine words indeed, but with the Falkirk mess unresolved, and Labour's apparently half-hearted investigation unpublished, the idea of reform is frankly laughable.
  • Options
    BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536
    Hodges shocks the world by declaring Falkirk/Grangemouth/somewhere in PB McTory Land a disaster for Ed Miliband. Meanwhile, Labour in the 40s and the Earth spins on
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

However, that doesn't mean the story isn't significant - it is, in two ways.
    I'd add a third - it stops Ed leading the news agenda as he did with the fuel bill freeze - as seen by the questions he's being asked today.

So outside Falkirk & Scotland, no, this is not directly damaging. If it paints Labour as an 'English' party in Scotland it could be very damaging.

However, the collateral damage this is inflicting is being airily waved away at their peril....
  • Options
    Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 1m
    Suspect Guardian will have to come clean on this by the day's end. Did they pass on names of UK intel officers? http://polho.me/1iJFc6o

Guardian ever increasing in trouble it seems....
  • Options
    tim said:

"Daily Mail's @ShippersUnbound asks EdM: "On a scale of 1 to 10 just how frightened of @Unite4Len and @tom_watson are you?"

"Daily Mail's @ShippersUnbound asks EdM: "On a scale of 1 to 10 just how frightened of @Unite4Len and @tom_watson are you?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-LbvFckptY

Everyone knows you're a bit unhinged, but its increasing showing more old boy...
  • Options
    In other news, if found to be true, this would be extremely damaging for the Guardian.
    Twitter
    Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 2m
    Suspect Guardian will have to come clean on this by the day's end. Did they pass on names of UK intel officers? http://polho.me/1iJFc6o
  • Options
    "The Guardian refused to deny that it had sent the identities of British spies overseas after detailed information appeared in an American newspaper.

The British newspaper has previously announced that it has shared some of its leaked GCHQ files with international partners but insisted on at least one occasion, that the identities of British spies were not included.

However, an article in the New York Times at the weekend appeared to signal that specific details of “British eavesdroppers” were contained in the files shared with it."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/terrorism-in-the-uk/10426204/Guardian-refuses-to-say-whether-it-sent-details-of-British-spies-overseas.html
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

Paul Waugh tweets: "Daily Mail's @ShippersUnbound asks EdM: "On a scale of 1 to 10 just how frightened of @Unite4Len and @tom_watson are you?"

It is doing two things. Reducing the respect of the press for Milliband is not good for him anywhere, as they will be more brusque, questioning with a tougher line and making serious attempts to pick holes in his policies.

However the real damage will be to Labour in Scotland, where it could easily knock 7% to 10% off his GE 2015 Scotland vote. Where that goes is another question, the moribund LibDems may pick up a few bits, SNP may capture a few, however, I expect the Tory in Scotland will still be lonely even after the dilution of the Labour vote.

On the indy ref? It will harm No and help Yes. 3% off No and onto Yes is a 6% swing.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    edited November 2013

Everyone knows you're a bit unhinged, but its increasing showing more old boy...

Even more, he's commenting on a 'non-story'.......

• Options
    tim said:

tim said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-LbvFckptY

It's difficult to parody the mindless spammers certainly.

Oh I don't know... you do a pretty good job, 16 hours posting a day, and 12,000 posts in six months gives you plenty of experience after all.
  • Options
    philiph said:

On the indy ref? It will harm No and help Yes. 3% off No and onto Yes is a 6% swing.
    That's my worry - having the leaders of the Better Together Campaign and the Scottish Labour Party snubbed by London Labour does the Union no favours....

• Options
    philiph said:

However the real damage will be to Labour in Scotland, where it could easily knock 7% to 10% off his GE 2015 Scotland vote.

I doubt that very much. Labour voters in Scotland continue to vote Labour despite knowing perfectly well what goes on.
  • Options
    At some stage I can see the BBC getting a real kicking on here over Falkirk.
  • Options

philiph said:

That's my worry - having the leaders of the Better Together Campaign and the Scottish Labour Party snubbed by London Labour does the Union no favours....

I know I am in a minority, but I expect Yes to have a narrow win. There would be an irony if it was Labour intransigence and the London centric domination of Labour in Scotland that was the force responsible for tipping over the final few % of voters needed for a Yes win.

After the idiotic incompetent constitutional changes of New Labour, you have to anticipate that the opposite of the intended outcome will occur.
  • Options
    A mildly amusing John Rentoul tweet:

" "He doesn't give an EDF," says @edballsmp "With questions like that he've never going to be npower, is he?" replies @George_Osborne #banter"

Not brilliant, but we can't make bricks without straw.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Bobajob said:

Hodges shocks the world by declaring Falkirk/Grangemouth/somewhere in PB McTory Land a disaster for Ed Miliband. Meanwhile, Labour in the 40s and the Earth spins on

The only thing spinning here is you.

Nobody seriously thinks that the Falkirk debacle is an unalloyed triumph for Ed and Unite and a thin lead midterm against the Coalition is hardly a portend for Prime Minister Miliband !!

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    tim said:

JackW said:

Bobajob said:

The only thing spinning here is you.

Nobody seriously thinks that the Falkirk debacle is an unalloyed triumph for Ed and Unite and a thin lead midterm against the Coalition is hardly a portend for Prime Minister Miliband !!

Feel free to explain why you think Cameron has lost his ratings lead, reverting to type after holding it for 3 months out of the last 18?
    Feel free to explain to PB why you think the general election is tomorrow ?

• Options

At some stage I can see the BBC getting a real kicking on here over Falkirk.

Quite the reverse - the Daily Politics is again covering Falkirk and the problems posed for Miliband - its been a daily feature for over a week.....
  • Options
    ""Daily Mail's @ShippersUnbound asks EdM: "On a scale of 1 to 10 just how frightened of @Unite4Len and @tom_watson are you?""

A lot of retweets but what did Ed answer ? I'm guessing 11 or 12 ?

• Options

philiph said:

However the real damage will be to Labour in Scotland, where it could easily knock 7% to 10% off his GE 2015 Scotland vote.

I doubt that very much. Labour voters in Scotland continue to vote Labour despite knowing perfectly well what goes on.
    The risk is to the Indy referendum - if Scottish Labour voters see independence as a way of reclaiming Scottish Labour from the English who ignore them and impose candidates from London....
  • Options

philiph said:

Do they still vote Labour to 'keep the Tories out' even though they are the 3rd or 4th party ^^ ?
  • Options
    I should imagine there are some seats in Scotland that Labour would win if Jimmy Saville was the candidate.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

""Daily Mail's @ShippersUnbound asks EdM: "On a scale of 1 to 10 just how frightened of @Unite4Len and @tom_watson are you?""

A lot of retweets but what did Ed answer ? I'm guessing 11 or 12 ?

James Landale mentioned that question (without attribution) in his summary of Ed's press conference on the....you know....what was it.....

• Options
    tim said:

TGOHF said:

I should imagine there are some seats in Scotland that Labour would win if Jimmy Saville was the candidate.

I think he was too close to Thatcher.
    Half of Glasgow would vote for him....

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g3/andyc27/big20Jock20saville.jpg
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    tim said:

TGOHF said:

I think he was too close to Thatcher.
    Nah, she was too old for him. (too soon?)
  • Options
    @Carlotta

Any polling evidence for this "collateral damage" of which you speak, or just something that came into your head?
  • Options
    How many mentions of "Big Seven" and Wonga will Ed Miliband manage in Prime Minister's Questions tomorrow? How many mentions of Falkirk will David Cameron manage tomorrow?

They would make for interesting spread betting markets.
  • Options
    @BobaJob - lets watch Scottish Labour VI on Independence polling.....
  • Options
    Who is the shadow cabinet member (former minister) briefing against Ed in the Telegraph ??

• Options
    "Three single mothers and their children have lost a legal challenge to the government's benefit cap.

Judges ruled that regulations brought in by Work and Pensions Secretary Iain Duncan Smith were lawful and did not breach human rights."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24818747
  • Options
    Did anyone else see "The Agenda" on ITV last night?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbfXr3pQOtg
  • Options

"Three single mothers and their children have lost a legal challenge to the government's benefit cap.

Judges ruled that regulations brought in by Work and Pensions Secretary Iain Duncan Smith were lawful and did not breach human rights."

£500 a week wasn't enough..

"Lawyers acting for three mothers and one child from each family, all from the London area, said the "cruel and arbitrary" measure was "reminiscent of the days of the workhouse", and the women feared it would leave them destitute.

The legal challenge was supported by the Child Poverty Action Group and the Women's Aid Federation."
  • Options
    But in the eurozone - the 18 nations that use the euro - it predicted growth of 1.1% next year.

This is the second downward revision of 2014 eurozone growth this year, after it was cut from 1.4% to 1.2% in May.
    [Src.: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24817818 ]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7RIgs3eygo
  • Options
    Twitter
    John Rentoul ‏@JohnRentoul 1m
    Special advisers are a good & democratic thing, but Guido & I are agreed on Clegg's hypocrisy http://order-order.com/2013/11/05/that-clegg-spad-hypocrisy-in-full/
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

"Lawyers acting for three mothers and one child from each family, all from the London area, said the "cruel and arbitrary" measure was "reminiscent of the days of the workhouse", and the women feared it would leave them destitute.

The legal challenge was supported by the Child Poverty Action Group and the Women's Aid Federation."
    Bet those single mothers won't pay their own legal fees.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

Luckily the taxpayer wont have to either - just these "charities"

• Options
    IMPORTANT NOTICE:

Wodger is this sites in-house clown! Do not allow fake [Brummie/Scouse offies/farmers] to spoil the general amusement!

:that-is-all:
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,053
    Pulpstar said:
    I will. Why on Earth is having the money sorted into bundles of one denomination mean that is is unlikely to be the profits of legitimate cash trading?
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    tim said:

Gid E.On needs switching

I thought we agreed right at the start that this one was particularly unfunny and should be strangled at birth?
  • Options
    Time to dig this one out....

Britain is booming, don't let Labour EDF it up.

http://www.cityam.com/blog/1383644028/services-pmi-rockets-625-its-highest-16-years#
  • Options

IMPORTANT NOTICE:

Wodger is this sites in-house clown! Do not allow fake [Brummie/Scouse offies/farmers] to spoil the general amusement!

:that-is-all:

Operation "don't mention the economy or Falkirk" is in full swing.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

Scottish taxpayer contribute ~ 400k

Page 23- http://www.cpag.org.uk/sites/default/files/CPAG-accounts-2012-13_0.pdf

UK taxpayers ~ 100k to this 'charity'
  • Options

Pulpstar said:
    I will. Why on Earth is having the money sorted into bundles of one denomination mean that is is unlikely to be the profits of legitimate cash trading?
    Its a nonsense, there is no proof either way that the cash is legit or not. It is more the message that the piece sends out regarding honesty
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

Scottish taxpayer contribute ~ 400k

Page 23- http://www.cpag.org.uk/sites/default/files/CPAG-accounts-2012-13_0.pdf

UK taxpayers ~ 100k to this 'charity'
    We've been done over :(

• Options
    UK services picture now 'ridiculously strong':

http://www.businessinsider.com/uk-services-pmi-2013-11
  • Options
    @Carlotta Do elaborate. What do you expect to happen to the Scottish vote?
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    o/t - Not looking quite so hopeful that Ireland's gay marriage referendum will be held next year (referendum fatigue apparently!). The Paddy Power odds on it being held in 2014 were very generous but:

"Mr Gilmore [Labour leader, Deputy PM] has said it could take place in late 2014 or early 2015.

However, Mr Shatter [FG Justice Minister] said yesterday it may be beneficial that 2014 is a referendum free year, but added he had no fixed view on the issue."

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/1105/484662-same-sex-marriage/

Given how polling on Irish referendums (Lisbon, abolishing Seanad) often significantly overestimates 'yes' support and given that Irish people only relatively recently voted to allow straight divorce by the slimmest of slim margins perhaps the value on the results markets is with 'no'?
  • Options
    @Neil says the man who has told the same 'joke' ad nauseum re: cocktails.

FWIW I liked all three power puns - those of Balls, Ozzy and Tim
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,216
    philiph said:

philiph said:

I know I am in a minority, but I expect Yes to have a narrow win. There would be an irony if it was Labour intransigence and the London centric domination of Labour in Scotland that was the force responsible for tipping over the final few % of voters needed for a Yes win.

After the idiotic incompetent constitutional changes of New Labour, you have to anticipate that the opposite of the intended outcome will occur.
    You're not the only one. I've said this too, a few threads back. Admittedly, I've made up this view based on absolutely no evidence at all but there you are. I wouldn't be surprised one bit to find Scotland voting for independence - and, if she does, good luck to her. I don't buy the argument that a small country is necessarily going to go to hell in a handbasket just because it's not embraced by bigger countries around it.

• Options
    Bobajob said:

Wonder if we will sse more of them ?
  • Options
    R WE amused Pulpstar?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,060
    Pulpstar said:

yes, if it leads to Lamont getting dumped , it will strengthen Labour unless they reappoint Gray there can be no-one worse than her leading the donkeys in labour Scottish sub region
  • Options
    19/4 on Scots Independence on Betfair if anyone wants it.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Bobajob said:

Wonder if we will sse more of them ?
    Get your puns here - there appear to be 15 providers.

http://www.which.co.uk/switch/energy-suppliers/energy-companies-rated

• Options
    Bobajob said:

Do pay attention - I explained earlier that the risk is that Scottish Labour voters seeing Scottish Labour leaders and members ignored by London Labour - who will impose a candidate on them next month in Falkirk - may see independence as a way of getting Scottish Labour back - and if Scotland leaves the Union Labour's life in rUK gets a whole lot more difficult...the Scottish Raj dominated UK Labour for decades - North London Labour appears indifferent to Scotland beyond lobby fodder.....

• Options
    @Cyclefree

If I were Scottish, I'm pretty sure I'd vote yes, as the Union is probably an idea that has run its course. But I hope for - and fully expect - a No, for sentimental and political reasons rather than rational economic ones. But if the Scots go for it, I will wish them well. Scotland has a remarkably diverse economy and many of the vestiges of nationhood that mean the transition will be smooth despite what the the patrol-boats-on-the-Tweed scare mongerers may say.
  • Options

Bobajob said:

Do pay attention - I explained earlier that the risk is that Scottish Labour voters seeing Scottish Labour leaders and members ignored by London Labour - who will impose a candidate on them next month in Falkirk - may see independence as a way of getting Scottish Labour back - and if Scotland leaves the Union Labour's life in rUK gets a whole lot more difficult...the Scottish Raj dominated UK Labour for decades - North London Labour appears indifferent to Scotland beyond lobby fodder.....

No group will lose out as much as Scottish Labour will from independence - they will probably be amongst the hardest no campaigners.
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

@Cyclefree

If I were Scottish, I'm pretty sure I'd vote yes, as the Union is probably an idea that has run its course. But I hope for - and fully expect - a No, for sentimental and political reasons rather than rational economic ones. But if the Scots go for it, I will wish them well. Scotland has a remarkably diverse economy and many of the vestiges of nationhood that mean the transition will be smooth despite what the the patrol-boats-on-the-Tweed scare mongerers may say.

Bob - can you imagine what the marginal tax rates would be like under a socialist scottish regimes ?

Vote "NAW"
  • Options
    @Carlotta
    Unlike you to me, I don't hang on every word.
    So your forecast is that Labour voters will be more pro independence
    Fair enough. Let's see if you are right (you may be)
  • Options
    @Pulpstar

Correct - no one cares except the Village and the PB Tory obsessives who are more interested in Labour's internal democracy than that of their own party
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

@Cyclefree

I'd vote "no" - but as you point out the economic case for the Union - overwhelming when the Union was created is now pretty marginal - especially with the growth in importance of the EU.

I do disagree with one comment (perhaps infelicitously expressed) "vestiges" of nationhood indeed!

Scotland is and has remained a nation state - simply one that was in a Union with another nation state.

Let's see what the SNP's White Paper brings....
  • Options
    @TGOHF

I wasn't aware Londoners could vote! I might vote for an independent London, seeing as everyone hates us let's see how they like it without us*

*except I am a patriotic Englishman
  • Options

Bobajob said:

Also Scotland Labour Party has a rosier future
  • Options
    @Carlotta

Clearly a Scots breakaway is bad for Labour in the rUK, but there will be a political realignment therein, these things balance out in the long term. I would see England as a perpetual Tory state.
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

@Carlotta

No - I wrote that the risk is they become more pro-independence - which is a heck of a risk for Miliband to take - assuming he's thought it through - which appears unlikely.....I'm sure the SNP won't mention Scottish Labour "obeying orders from London". Not once. Never. No siree!
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

@Carlotta

Clearly a Scots breakaway is bad for Labour in the rUK, but there will be a political realignment therein, these things balance out in the long term. I would see England as a perpetual Tory state.

Assume you meant 'I wouldn't see England as .......', in which case, I agree
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    Bobajob said:

@Carlotta

So why aren't you living in Scotland then ?
  • Options
    @Carlotta

Point taken - and agreed. My apologies. I am not one of the "Scotland isn't a country" crowd - hence my disapproval at having a Team GB, when in every other major sport Scotland has her own team.*

*a relatively trivial but illustrative example of your point
  • Options
    philiph said:

Bobajob said:

@Carlotta

Agree - it would be s bad thing - in any case it would be unlikely the Tories survived beyond three terms without murdering each other....
  • Options

Bobajob said:

@Carlotta

I meant *wouldn't* see - typo alert! Sorry
  • Options
    philiph said:

Bobajob said:

@Carlotta

Yes - apologies to the thread for the confusion
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,735

Bobajob said:

@Carlotta

No - I wrote that the risk is they become more pro-independence - which is a heck of a risk for Miliband to take - assuming he's thought it through - which appears unlikely.....I'm sure the SNP won't mention Scottish Labour "obeying orders from London". Not once. Never. No siree!
    That's a reasonably sensible position for the SNP to take - in the event of independence they will argue that they need a robust political dynamic, and Scottish Labour should be a key part of that. 'They won't say it themselves as they are dictated to by London, but they want you to give them the freedom... A vote for independence isn't a vote for the SNP forever...'
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

@Carlotta

Point taken - and agreed. My apologies. I am not one of the "Scotland isn't a country" crowd - hence my disapproval at having a Team GB, when in every other major sport Scotland has her own team.*

*a relatively trivial but illustrative example of your point

It's not a major point - but I suspect you would be far from an atypical Londoner if you viewed Scotland as "North Britain with kilts, bagpipes and Haggis". It appears to be the view in Dartmouth Park....
  • Options

philiph said:

Bobajob said:

@Carlotta

Agree - it would be s bad thing - in any case it would be unlikely the Tories survived beyond three terms without murdering each other....
    It's unlikely that any government goes beyond three terms without tearing themselves apart. Look what happened to labour..
  • Options
    I thought Ed's Blairnacht was supposed to get rid of these sort of soundings....

leading member of the shadow cabinet echoed the calls. The former minister said: "Ed Miliband stuck his neck out quite far in ordering the initial inquiry but something led him to pull it again double quick. Now he just wants everything to go away but it won't.

"Some of the worst abuses in Falkirk were not [investigated] in the first report, they were after that inquiry. We need to know what happened. It's Ed Miliband's call."
  • Options
    From yesterday:

"One of Labour’s most distinguished and longest-serving party stalwarts has announced he is voting Yes in next year’s independence referendum.

Sir Charles Gray, who was leader of Strathclyde Regional Council from 1986-92, says independence is the way ahead of the Labour party north of the border."

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/scottish-independence-sir-charles-gray-in-yes-vow-1-3172473
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    edited November 2013
    Bobajob said:

Bobajob said:

@Carlotta

I meant *wouldn't* see - typo alert! Sorry
    It's OK BaJ I have you down as confused of Congleton. A Northerner who moved south and then complains about paying tax to fund the relatives he left behind and all the while living in the Tory heartlands. I bet you left your whippet behind too.
  • Options
    @Carlotta @Phillip H

What would the role of the SNP be in an independent Scotland? I have often wondered if they'd end up disbanding (I.e. the centre-left and Tartan Tory factions going their separate ways)
This discussion has been closed.