Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » George Galloway wants to be the Brexit candidate in Peterborou

13»

Comments

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,222

> @Cyclefree said:

> > @DecrepitJohnL said:

>

> > > @DavidL said:

>

> > > > @Cyclefree said:

>

> > > > That 11 minute call to the Telegraph is very specific. Suggests that Sedwill got hold of phone records.

>

> > > >

>

> > > > Pretty stupid of Williamson to call a journalist on a phone attributable to him, even if they were just discussing the weather .....

>

> > > >

>

> > > >

>

> > >

>

> > > After swearing on his children's lives that he didn't do it? Even for Williamson that would be a somewhat contorted position.

>

> > >

>

> > > I am glad to see the back of him but I also find May's decision inexplicable.

>

> >

>

> > If you'd care to write a header on Theresa May's best decisions ... :wink:

>

>

>

> When I was at school one of the more benign punishments was writing 1500 word essays on bizarre topics, the tips of Robin Hood's arrows being one I remember. I was quite good at this and earned cash by dictating essays for people demonstrating that I was always likely to end up being a windbag, sorry, lawyer.

>

>

>

> But a whole thread header on May's best decisions? That would be a challenge.

>

> Easier to list out her top 20 bad decisions and have a competition ranking them in order of crapness.

>

> Has May ever made a good decision as PM? Even one? On any topic at all?

Her Lancaster House speech on Brexit was right on the money. Shame she didn’t stick to it. Calling a snap general election would have been a good decision if she had had any charisma and campaigning ability at all. Sacking Osborne was a good decision. It’s all gone pear shaped for her since 2017.

I think it started to go pear-shaped for her when she appointed bozos like Davis, Johnson and Fox to the Cabinet. It showed what dreadful judgment she had - about both people and strategy.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,371
    > @Cyclefree said:
    > > @ydoethur said:
    >
    > > > @DecrepitJohnL said:

>
    > > > > @DavidL said:

>
    > > > > > @Cyclefree said:

>
    > > > > > That 11 minute call to the Telegraph is very specific. Suggests that Sedwill got hold of phone records.

>
    > > > > > Pretty stupid of Williamson to call a journalist on a phone attributable to him, even if they were just discussing the weather .....

>
    > > > > > I doubt if this will end up in a prosecution. For one thing, there is an appreciable risk that this could turn into a Ponting-style disaster with young Gavin claiming that he was blowing the whistle on a matter of public interest, namely, the PM’s decision to go against the advice of security experts and intelligence allies over Huawei.

>
    > > > > After swearing on his children's lives that he didn't do it? Even for Williamson that would be a somewhat contorted position.

>
    > > > > I am glad to see the back of him but I also find May's decision inexplicable.

>
    > > > If you'd care to write a header on Theresa May's best decisions ... :wink:
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > When I was at school one of the more benign punishments was writing 1500 word essays on bizarre topics, the tips of Robin Hood's arrows being one I remember. I was quite good at this and earned cash by dictating essays for people demonstrating that I was always likely to end up being a windbag, sorry, lawyer.
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > But a whole thread header on May's best decisions? That would be a challenge.
    >
    > >
    >
    > > Easier to list out her top 20 bad decisions and have a competition ranking them in order of crapness.
    >
    > >
    >
    > > Has May ever made a good decision as PM? Even one? On any topic at all?
    >
    > >
    >
    > > Refusing to reappoint Osborne.
    >
    > >
    >
    > > Have a good morning.
    >
    >
    >
    > Sacking Osborne was one of her few good decisions. Replacing him with Hammond one of her worst.
    >
    > I disagree. The way she went about it was stupid and she ought to have found a role for him in government.

Agreed. There is far too little talent in politics to lose someone like Osborne. It was a huge mistake.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,360
    > @DavidL said:

>
    > In the local elections will there not also be rather a lot of the counting done tomorrow? I always find coverage of the locals a bit annoying because by the time the full story is available the focus of the media has inevitably moved on and it is rarely told.

Here you go:
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/local-elections-results-times-2019-14441792

Waverley (my patch) only counts tomorrow, and bizarrely then waits 24 hours before counting the town council votes on Saturday.

Personally I have no real idea how we'll do. The Labour vote is in fair shape and I've canvassed every house, some twice, which might be a plus or even a minus, depending on what they thought of me :) - the Tories made a token effort, the LibDems none at all, but they both put out good-quality leaflets. Almost every ward in the borough has only two non-Tories for 2 seats, and the Greens are throwing everything at one ward. My impression is that 90% of Lab voters will also vote LD/Green, but only 70% the reverse, so generally the LDs should come ahead of us, but we may both win in some wards. The safe-looking Tory County seat of Haslemere which is up for a by-election may be at risk from and Indie.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,371
    > @NickPalmer said:
    > > @DavidL said:
    >
    > >
    > > In the local elections will there not also be rather a lot of the counting done tomorrow? I always find coverage of the locals a bit annoying because by the time the full story is available the focus of the media has inevitably moved on and it is rarely told.
    >
    > Here you go:
    > https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/local-elections-results-times-2019-14441792
    >
    > Waverley (my patch) only counts tomorrow, and bizarrely then waits 24 hours before counting the town council votes on Saturday.
    >
    > Personally I have no real idea how we'll do. The Labour vote is in fair shape and I've canvassed every house, some twice, which might be a plus or even a minus, depending on what they thought of me :) - the Tories made a token effort, the LibDems none at all, but they both put out good-quality leaflets. Almost every ward in the borough has only two non-Tories for 2 seats, and the Greens are throwing everything at one ward. My impression is that 90% of Lab voters will also vote LD/Green, but only 70% the reverse, so generally the LDs should come ahead of us, but we may both win in some wards. The safe-looking Tory County seat of Haslemere which is up for a by-election may be at risk from and Indie.

I am not sure that I can bring myself to wish you good luck Nick but I do admire your diligence.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,360
    > @DavidL said:

>
    > I am not sure that I can bring myself to wish you good luck Nick but I do admire your diligence.

Thanks, David. In the great scheme of things I don't think it matters much (I doubt if May or Corbyn have ever heard of Waverley council, much less care who's on it), but it'd be nice to win.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

> @DavidL said:

>

> In the local elections will there not also be rather a lot of the counting done tomorrow? I always find coverage of the locals a bit annoying because by the time the full story is available the focus of the media has inevitably moved on and it is rarely told.

Here you go:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/local-elections-results-times-2019-14441792

Waverley (my patch) only counts tomorrow, and bizarrely then waits 24 hours before counting the town council votes on Saturday.

Personally I have no real idea how we'll do. The Labour vote is in fair shape and I've canvassed every house, some twice, which might be a plus or even a minus, depending on what they thought of me :) - the Tories made a token effort, the LibDems none at all, but they both put out good-quality leaflets. Almost every ward in the borough has only two non-Tories for 2 seats, and the Greens are throwing everything at one ward. My impression is that 90% of Lab voters will also vote LD/Green, but only 70% the reverse, so generally the LDs should come ahead of us, but we may both win in some wards. The safe-looking Tory County seat of Haslemere which is up for a by-election may be at risk from and Indie.

I can't think of a greater example of putting principle above the chances of success than working for Labour in that neck of the woods, so I hold my hat up to you.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
This discussion has been closed.