Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

1235»

Comments

• Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    RobD said:

_Anazina_ said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    Tory Remainers and Labour Remainers having a discussion between themselves to work out how they can sabotage Brexit...
    The only people who have sabotaged Brexit are the quarterwits from the ERG and their twerpish associates who thrice had the opportunity to vote for the Brexit deal and thrice declined to do so. There is not a great deal Remainers can do if Leavers keep voting down their own policy.
    I forget the numbers, would it have passed on the third attempt had they all voted for it?
    The numbers don't matter. The optics do. Brexit was defeated by Brexiters. As remainers will continually point out.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

FPT @JosiasJessop

I think we are going to differ on the referendum

In my view there was a simple question on the ballot: leave or remain.

That is the question that was asked and answered

Of course different people had different visions for the future and voters chose how to case their votes based on their own motivations

The only hard fact that we have is that the voters instructed the government to arrange for the U.K. to leave. The precise details and timing are a political choice for them to make and reap the rewards / pay the price

And the government has arranged for the UK to Leave. Unfortunately the people's representatives, elected more recently than the referendum, do not support the government's proposals. Worse than that, the lack of support includes many Leave MPs.

The only answer is to ask the people to tell parliament to implement May's Deal... or to not implement it, as the people wish.
    Agreed.

I’m not a fan of deal / no deal as a referendum because it’s the result of obstruction by politicians but if it has to be that way then so be it
    Your current position seems to be that you accept that the last referendum was supported by people whose vision of Brexit will not come to pass but that they are not allowed to change their mind in the light of new information in a new referendum.
    It’s not my “current” position, it’s been my position since a second referendum was mooted.

Parliament has behaved badly. You should not reward bad behaviour.
    It is hardly proportionate to punish 60m odd people for the sins of 650, though.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,919
    rcs1000 said:

brendan16 said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:
    It's been on the agenda since 1968 and before. Another reason why we should be aiming to shaft Dublin left right and centre over their approach to Brexit.
    Dublin has the EU behind them. The days of us being able to shaft them will be over if we leave.
    Indeed. One of the many ironies of Brexit is that it has enabled Ireland, which has been bullied and generally pushed around by the British for centuries, to gain the upper hand with the support of the EU.
    Ireland hasn't been pushed around by the UK for sometime - as its been a semi automomous province of the ECB since 2008. It has the highest debt per capita of any eurozone member following the bank bailouts in 2010 - future generations may well pay a heavy price for their efforts to save the Euro.

As long as course as it is able to offer low corporation tax rates to keep the US multinationals there it can easily service the debt. But that of course may not continue for ever.

Really?

Would you like some facts with that:

https://tradingeconomics.com/ireland/government-debt-to-gdp
    Let's add household too:

https://www.imf.org/external/datamapper/HH_LS@GDD/CAN/GBR/USA/DEU/ITA/FRA/JPN/IRL
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Charles said:

Parliament has behaved badly. You should not reward bad behaviour.

The Leave campaign broke the law.

You want to reward them with the entire country
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,616
    Charles said:

Charles said:

FPT @JosiasJessop

Of course different people had different visions for the future and voters chose how to case their votes based on their own motivations

The only hard fact that we have is that the voters instructed the government to arrange for the U.K. to leave. The precise details and timing are a political choice for them to make and reap the rewards / pay the price

It was a simple question on this topic, but it was backed up with a heck of a lot of other ancillary information. For instance, in that question, 'remain' meant on the terms of Cameron's deal. Because Cameron and his team had done the work to define what it meant.

There was no such ancillary information on what leave meant, just a whole load of wish-lists from various people, several large items of which were incompatible and inconsistent.

Which is why we're in this mess.
    The electorate gave no instruction on “How” - zip, nada, nothing.

Lots of people got up on their hind legs and presented a vision for the future. Some attractive, some less so.

But all the electorate opined on was “What”.

It’s up to the executive to determine “How”

If you look at the major strategic problems of recent years - Syria or Brexit for example - they are down to Parliament intervening where they are not competent to act and ballsing it up.
    Indeed.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,881
    Scott_P said:
    This type of protest only ever lasts for one day.
  • Options
    RobD said:

_Anazina_ said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    Tory Remainers and Labour Remainers having a discussion between themselves to work out how they can sabotage Brexit...
    The only people who have sabotaged Brexit are the quarterwits from the ERG and their twerpish associates who thrice had the opportunity to vote for the Brexit deal and thrice declined to do so. There is not a great deal Remainers can do if Leavers keep voting down their own policy.
    I forget the numbers, would it have passed on the third attempt had they all voted for it?
    It should have passed on the first vote if ERG had any form of common sense but that is not one of their traits.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,955

RobD said:

_Anazina_ said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    The numbers don't matter. The optics do. Brexit was defeated by Brexiters. As remainers will continually point out.
    Agreed, they are fools. What did Tusk say about that special place in hell?
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    That really is the absolute truth and they may well never see brexit again
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,817
    Sean_F said:

Waverley is an example of what I commented on upthread.

The Conservatives have fielded a full slate of 57 candidates, the Lib Dems have fielded 27, Labour 19. 2 Conservatives have been returned unopposed.

This is a council the Lib Dems controlled at various points between 1991 and 2007.

Also worth commenting there are 17 Independent candidates, 16 of whom form the Farnham residents who are fighting all the eight Farnham Wards while there is a strong Independent challenge in the Haslemere by-election for Surrey CC in the shape of the former County Councillor who took the seat from the Conservatives in 2013.

It's hard from the current position of holding 50 of the 57 seats to see the Conservatives losing control of Waverley but I suspect they will see their majority reduced significantly.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

_Anazina_ said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    I will be seeing a group of friends this weekend who I haven't seen since last November. I am really hoping none of them remember me saying that May's deal was the best we were likely to get and we should hope it goes through because if it doesn't we will likely get something worse.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789
    stodge said:

Sean_F said:

Waverley is an example of what I commented on upthread.

The Conservatives have fielded a full slate of 57 candidates, the Lib Dems have fielded 27, Labour 19. 2 Conservatives have been returned unopposed.

This is a council the Lib Dems controlled at various points between 1991 and 2007.

Also worth commenting there are 17 Independent candidates, 16 of whom form the Farnham residents who are fighting all the eight Farnham Wards while there is a strong Independent challenge in the Haslemere by-election for Surrey CC in the shape of the former County Councillor who took the seat from the Conservatives in 2013.

It's hard from the current position of holding 50 of the 57 seats to see the Conservatives losing control of Waverley but I suspect they will see their majority reduced significantly.
    Hopefully, they will. One party councils are good for no one.
  • Options

_Anazina_ said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    I will be seeing a group of friends this weekend who I haven't seen since last November. I am really hoping none of them remember me saying that May's deal was the best we were likely to get and we should hope it goes through because if it doesn't we will likely get something worse.
    Or no brexit
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    _Anazina_ said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    On the evening when the deal was first released and Boris Johnson was immediately denouncing it on all channels, it's difficult to believe that he wasn't aware he was sabotaging Brexit. I think he's one of the people Peter Oborne refers to who are still under the Brexit banner but realise it is a profound mistake.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    Mr. Glenn, I'm not sure I agree with your timeline.

The Boris regret began the moment he learnt Leave had won. He got a result he never wanted and it ended up scuppering his (then, at least...) leadership prospects. He failed to win his prize, and achieved only the thing he didn't want.

Boris is an idiot, and unworthy to sit in Cabinet.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,618
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    If there is to be sabotage I'd rather it be coordinated sabotage.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    eristdoof said:

Scott_P said:
    It's the worst form of protest.

The people who will have to re-stock everything have no ability to change anything and will have to take time out of their low pay day to fix it.
  • Options

_Anazina_ said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    On the evening when the deal was first released and Boris Johnson was immediately denouncing it on all channels, it's difficult to believe that he wasn't aware he was sabotaging Brexit. I think he's one of the people Peter Oborne refers to who are still under the Brexit banner but realise it is a profound mistake.
    For him, Brexit is secondary to his desire to become Conservative leader. He hopes to gain the support of the hardliners.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,919
    RobD said:

_Anazina_ said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    MV3 vote failed by 58 votes, so she needed to flip 29 to pass it. 35 Tories voted against. If the ERG had flipped it would have had a majority of 2.
  • Options

eristdoof said:

Scott_P said:

The people who will have to re-stock everything have no ability to change anything and will have to take time out of their low pay day to fix it.
    I very much doubt whether it is a real proposal.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    I refused to back my leader and scuppered any hope of a deal. How dare she work with someone so horrible for what she thinks is the good of the country? Even though I did the same thing by voting with him so many times.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,817
    Sean_F said:

<

I am fascinated by the emergence of these well-organised well-funded Independent groupings in areas like Farnham, Guildford and Oxted which, as you say, are traditionally Conservative and flirted with the LDs in the 90s and 00s.

They are different from the traditional "Residents" in areas like Hersham and Epsom and have utilised newer campaigning techniques.

I'd love to see this spread into London - if we are ever to break the Labour stranglehold in Newham, it won't be through the Conservatives but a "local" group. However, in an area like Newham with such a transient population, such a group is very hard to establish.
  • Options

eristdoof said:

Scott_P said:

It's like people paying a fine in pennies in protest at some fine.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,776
    eristdoof said:

Scott_P said:
    And they wonder why remainers think they are morons!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,955
    edited April 2019
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

_Anazina_ said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    MV3 vote failed by 58 votes, so she needed to flip 29 to pass it. 35 Tories voted against. If the ERG had flipped it would have had a majority of 2.
    Were they all ERGers?
  • Options
    stodge said:

Sean_F said:

<

I am fascinated by the emergence of these well-organised well-funded Independent groupings in areas like Farnham, Guildford and Oxted which, as you say, are traditionally Conservative and flirted with the LDs in the 90s and 00s.

They are different from the traditional "Residents" in areas like Hersham and Epsom and have utilised newer campaigning techniques.

I'd love to see this spread into London - if we are ever to break the Labour stranglehold in Newham, it won't be through the Conservatives but a "local" group. However, in an area like Newham with such a transient population, such a group is very hard to establish.
    Newham used to elect lots of Residents, before it became a Labour one-party State.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    Sean_F said:

_Anazina_ said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    For him, Brexit is secondary to his desire to become Conservative leader. He hopes to gain the support of the hardliners.
    He wants to be a great man of history, so for Brexit to turn into a heroic failure that doesn't happen is preferable to having his name associated with the mediocre reality of a negotiated deal.
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,300
    For all the rightly caustic commentary on Mark Francois, could I posit the theory that he's marginally less of a prick than Andrew Bridgen?

How do fellow PBers feel the battle of Tweedledumb and Tweedledumber shapes up?

https://twitter.com/GeneralBoles/status/1115242232473366528
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,880
    Scott_P said:
    Isn't the realty rather different from that? Many leftists were against Britain's participation in World War Two during 1939 and 1940, until Germany declared war on Russia. In particular, one book I read related to aircraft production, said there were trouble with some unions in plants before Barbarossa, and the troubles melted away afterwards ...

"Until 1941 when the Soviet Union entered the war, communists in Britain, having little commitment to the war effort, refused to be bound by the national unity consensus and in particular the ban on strike action. During the first few months of the war, there were over 900 strikes, almost all of them very short but illegal nonetheless."

http://www.unionhistory.info/timeline/1939_1945.php
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,141
    Scott_P said:
    Three of the greatest minds of their generation.
  • Options

For all the rightly caustic commentary on Mark Francois, could I posit the theory that he's marginally less of a prick than Andrew Bridgen?

https://twitter.com/GeneralBoles/status/1115242232473366528

It's like trying to work out whether Himmler was worse than Ribbentrop.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Ranking the ERG in order of stupidity is tricky because the numbers are so huge. When you get that close to infinity the maths breaks down somewhat...
  • Options
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

_Anazina_ said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    Were they all ERGers?
    No, there were the Grievers as well. So it would have been very close if the ERG had all folded. The idea more Lab would have come over if it was close is for the birds, some of the possible are revokers rather than supportive of any deal.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,915
    Scott_P said:
    Is that why Francois is hiding behind a bush?
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    The Francois letter - it reads like the type of email you type to get it out of your system but never send and subsequently delete. Anybody sending that type of letter is more than a little unprofessional. Actually going so far as to publish it is the work of a weapons grade moron.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

_Anazina_ said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    He wants to be a great man of history, so for Brexit to turn into a heroic failure that doesn't happen is preferable to having his name associated with the mediocre reality of a negotiated deal.
    People buy it too. They think if Boris or similar had run things itd all be swell.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

It's a tough call. Probably safe to file both under the turbo-muppet category.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,212
    This thread has

lost its seat

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,915

Scott_P said:
    Isn't the realty rather different from that? Many leftists were against Britain's participation in World War Two during 1939 and 1940, until Germany declared war on Russia. In particular, one book I read related to aircraft production, said there were trouble with some unions in plants before Barbarossa, and the troubles melted away afterwards ...

"Until 1941 when the Soviet Union entered the war, communists in Britain, having little commitment to the war effort, refused to be bound by the national unity consensus and in particular the ban on strike action. During the first few months of the war, there were over 900 strikes, almost all of them very short but illegal nonetheless."

http://www.unionhistory.info/timeline/1939_1945.php
    True of course but by the end of the war people were waving hammer and sickle flags. I seem to recall them on the wall at the Victory Party in our local hall.
    And, because I was only about 7, asking why they were like they were.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Ranking the ERG in order of stupidity is tricky because the numbers are so huge. When you get that close to infinity the maths breaks down somewhat...
    Without wishing to be unkind I used to think many of the ERG were just incredibly stubborn and holding a different and principled view even though I disagreed with it. But when those who did eventually cave did so on the basis that Brexit was at risk if they did not, something obvious for months and which had been screamed at them for just as long, made me worry that even some of the seemingly smarter ones were anything but, if they had only just realised what would happen if it failed again.

And they are indeed among the angriest again that Brexit might be super soft or over.
  • Options
    RobinWiggsRobinWiggs Posts: 621
    viewcode said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

FPT @JosiasJessop

It was a simple question on this topic, but it was backed up with a heck of a lot of other ancillary information. For instance, in that question, 'remain' meant on the terms of Cameron's deal. Because Cameron and his team had done the work to define what it meant.

There was no such ancillary information on what leave meant, just a whole load of wish-lists from various people, several large items of which were incompatible and inconsistent.

Which is why we're in this mess.
    The electorate gave no instruction on “How” - zip, nada, nothing.

Lots of people got up on their hind legs and presented a vision for the future. Some attractive, some less so.

But all the electorate opined on was “What”.

It’s up to the executive to determine “How”

If you look at the major strategic problems of recent years - Syria or Brexit for example - they are down to Parliament intervening where they are not competent to act and ballsing it up.
    Indeed.
    There was no clear Remain prospectus. Yes, Cameron’s deal was on the table but it was presented as a Leave-lite Eurosceptic option.

Remain singularly failed to offer a positive vision of the EU, or to explain to sceptics like me what remaining meant in terms of ever closer political union, EU army, tax code, etc etc.

To say that only Leave failed to clearly define the endpoint is disingenuous at best.

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,079

Spot on. The objective is to attain the highest elected office of a great nation without doing hardly any work apart from lying and bullshitting. Not easy, but Donald Trump has proved that it can be done.
  • Options

A post that it is quite impossible not to respond to.

Francois, for me, is the lesser prick. He can appear sweet at times. Bridgen, never so.

Applying the 'down the pub' test, neither, but if I walked in and Mark Francois was at one table, Andrew Bridgen at another, and both were beckoning me, and I simply had to sit down and there was nowhere else, I would join Mark.
  • Options

Poignant if so. Imagine losing the love of your life because of something that is almost completely your fault. Many a book will be written. Many a film will be made.
  • Options

...by which standard, 6 million signing a petition to revoke is equally a howl of rage. A much bigger one.

That is a hell of a howl. And it's in the bag. Thus far most of the howls from the Leave side are of the promised variety. They need to get howling in earnest and pronto, otherwise unwanted conclusions will be drawn.
  • Options
    rabbit rabbit rabbit rabbit
This discussion has been closed.