Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Brexit deadlock: Some group has got to shift bit it is not

123457»

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    dixiedean said:

felix said:

felix said:

What do you think the Conservatives' long term message would be to the public after a no-deal Brexit. "Yes, we risked the country's stability for something we passionately believed in, but trust us now"?

No doubt you find that a compelling message but the overwhelming majority who aren't in the death cult will not. Bear in mind also that the death cult is disproportionately comprised of pensioners, so it has a diminishing audience too.

Unless you plan mass euthanasia or worse the proportions of pensioners are continuing to grow.
    Different pensioners. It's a conveyor belt, but without the cuddly toy.
    Twas always the case yet the proportions of votes for right-wing parties in that group have continued to grow.
    It's easy to see why those who get wealthier as they age might become more attracted to the party of the property-owning classes.

It's less easy to see why those who get older would decide that an idea that they thought was batshit mental was in fact not batshit mental.
    Experience?
    The last couple of years have shown that all the airy generalisations that Leavers went in for before the referendum result were complete horse feathers. All that's happened is that Leavers have got steadily more deranged and extreme.

Now it may be that Remainers are innately superior in intellect and stability to Leavers, but I wouldn't base my predictions on it. People bend the facts to their opinions, not vice versa.
    Name one airy generalisation that has categorically been shown to be complete horse feathers.
    "We hold all the cards"
    "They need us more than we need them"
    "If we vote Leave, we can dictate the terms"
    "If we No Deal, it will force the EU to the negotiating table to give us what we want." appears to be coming up quickly on the rails to take over as the next batshit mad one.
    No deal then basically fold into whatever the EU wants from us. Irish sea border ? No problemo...
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    Sean_F said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1113035316904984576

I think MPs now have a duty to vote for May's deal to avoid No Deal.

It's as simple as that.

They can amend it to make it dependent on a referendum and/or change the political declaration.
    How on earth can a referendum amendment be selected two days after being voted down? It couldn't possibly pass.
    It could if the payroll was whipped to support it.
    Most of the payroll would not support it, including the Chief Whip.
    Whipping is difficult if the Chief Whip is opposed. However, it is more of a polite request these days.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

Varadkar is in real crisis as he must answer the question what he does when the EU put in place their border on the 13th April post no deal

In addition it may not be known here but he is in serious trouble with his fishermen
    Kudos to him, he used his position to try to get to meet Kylie Minogue.
    Not sure I understand your point Alastair

Furthermore, the IREXIT freedom party are growing and support the fishermen
    Have you got any recent polling on the popularity of Irexit? Last time I saw the Irish were favouring staying in the EU by about 90% to 10%.

Big G has transposed the British/Scottish relationship with fishing wherein a tiny amount of the electorate & even tinier percentage of industrial output exerts a disproportionate influence on UK politics. I would be surprised if the same anomaly exists in Ireland.
    Not really. There is an Irish specific fight going on between the Irish fishing industry and the Irish government who are taking the side of EU fishermen, inflaming anger in the 1.4 billion euros per annum industry
    Aren't Irish fishermen also EU fishermen? What specific side is Varadkar taking?

I believe (as with the UK) that the EU is Ireland's main export market for seafood. What do Irish fishermen think should be done to protect that market?
    I am not into the detail but the Irish Fisherman seem to be disadvantaged in their own waters
    Bit like Scotland as London gave it away to help the south east
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

The good news if we no deal is it kills UKIP and Farages new party

Not at all, it will give them a boost. The chaos, job losses and bankruptcies will be blamed on it being the wrong kind of No Deal.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

It's as simple as that.

If it really does come down to a final, last minute deal or no-deal .... will Corbyn really whip for no-deal?

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    dixiedean said:

Sean_F said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

It's as simple as that.

They can amend it to make it dependent on a referendum and/or change the political declaration.
    How on earth can a referendum amendment be selected two days after being voted down? It couldn't possibly pass.
    Whipping is difficult if the Chief Whip is opposed. However, it is more of a polite request these days.
    Yes, it's got to the Pirates of the Caribbean stage now.
  • Options

It's as simple as that.

Yep. If Letwin has thrown in the towel it's over
    It has felt like "checkmate" for May and the Tories for a few days now.

But I think the reality is worse - it's checkmate for the whole UK.

It is dawning on me now that we're the proverbial boiling frog. We've just realised we need to leap out of the pan. But we don't now have the means to do so.

It's No Deal, and we're all fucked. There really is no "panic button" option to get us out of it, is there?

Unless the EU panics first and dives in to rescue us.
    I have been preaching this for weeks and it is so obvious the ERG have played their cause well, but the Country is going to suffer big time unless TM WDA passes with a reasonable majority
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

I would not expect it to go great. But, if it went as Robert Smithson suggests, there would be a lot of people who would not suffer adverse consequences.

That's probably not enough, as the media will run on stuff that went wrong but could have been planned for and had some sympathetic victim, and the government will be hit with this from all kinds of media and every part of the political spectrum from Corbyn to Farage.

If it's mainly screwing untelegenic people then it may be survivable though.
    Yes, if it's people from Goldman Sachs complaining, it will be very popular.
    I have to say I was surprised that in this doomsday document to the pm about no deal, it was said food costs would rise by upto 10%. Much that is unwelcome and the poorest would definitely be at the sharp end of that, let's say it's actually 5-6%...I honestly doubt people would notice & certainly no enough for mass riots in Sainsbury's ala Venezuela.

The way it has been hyped up, a bit like the overdone cuts narrative, I think a lot of people are expecting hyperinflation and bread shortages.
    Not advocating the benefits of No Deal here, but just as general rule I'm cautious of claims where impact statistics are
    (a) Quoted as "up to",
    (b) Not accompanied by a central estimate or range of most plausible estimates,
    (b) Calculated on the premise that the organisation that cared enough about the impact that it ordered the assessment to be written, nevertheless choosing to do nothing within its power to reduce that impact.

If we end up in a No Deal situation in which the government really does voluntarily impose enormous tariffs to drive up prices of food, household essentials and industrial inputs, then they'll have managed to turn something economically risky and self-destructive into something even more risky and self-destructive...
    Given the size of the populations girths in UK then that would be a big bonus for health and save fortune for NHS
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,686
    dixiedean said:

Sean_F said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

It's as simple as that.

The Chief Whip advocates a softer Brexit. He told the nation so yesterday evening on the post-Brexit (woops!) documentary.
  • Options
    tottenhamWCtottenhamWC Posts: 352
    Scott_P said:
    A plausible scenario is the HoC approving a "blind" long delay and then the EU insisting / dictating the terms of that delay (i.e. with a referendum), which we then presumably have to abide by.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    9 labour front benches defied the whip to abstain on PV yesterday. Both parties in disarray
  • Options

The Customs Union motion fell by 3 votes.

SNP (35 MPs) abstained; TIG (11) voted against; 5 Lib Dems voted against, 5 abstained, and 1 voted for.

In addition, Labour Remainer Owen Smith and Green MP Caroline Lucas also voted against it.

SNP will not vote without it having FoM
  • Options

It's as simple as that.

Slack bladder indeed - that's exactly what May wants you to do!
  • Options
    A bill in the name of Yvette Cooper sponsored by Oliver Letwin to avert no deal to be presented today
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

It's as simple as that.

They've tried the rest. They've mde themselves look like wazzocks in the process. Now time to cave in to the best least worst deal on offer.

Some of us have been there for ages.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927
    Scott_P said:
    I think 45 Labour MP's either voted against a second referendum or abstained.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Varadkar is in real crisis as he must answer the question what he does when the EU put in place their border on the 13th April post no deal

In addition it may not be known here but he is in serious trouble with his fishermen

Have you got any recent polling on the popularity of Irexit? Last time I saw the Irish were favouring staying in the EU by about 90% to 10%.

Big G has transposed the British/Scottish relationship with fishing wherein a tiny amount of the electorate & even tinier percentage of industrial output exerts a disproportionate influence on UK politics. I would be surprised if the same anomaly exists in Ireland.
    Not really. There is an Irish specific fight going on between the Irish fishing industry and the Irish government who are taking the side of EU fishermen, inflaming anger in the 1.4 billion euros per annum industry
    Aren't Irish fishermen also EU fishermen? What specific side is Varadkar taking?

I believe (as with the UK) that the EU is Ireland's main export market for seafood. What do Irish fishermen think should be done to protect that market?
    I am not into the detail but the Irish Fisherman seem to be disadvantaged in their own waters
    I remember my late Father in law fighting tooth and nail against joining the EU
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

Scott_P said:
    A plausible scenario is the HoC approving a "blind" long delay and then the EU insisting / dictating the terms of that delay (i.e. with a referendum), which we then presumably have to abide by.
    The Legislature giving away both the powers of the Legislature and the Executive to a foreign power. A foreign power the people have voted to move away from. Cracking job guys!

By rights, there should be about 300 MPs resigning from the House in shame. They won't do the job they were elected to do. So depart the stage, please.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    Am beginning to think passing TMs Deal may turn out to be the worst possible result for the government. All other scenarios, and blame can be deflected. In that one, you still have a fractured, resentful Party, with no one else to shoulder the responsibility.
    And no solution to the blatant fact, we don't know what kind of future relationship we want.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

felix said:

felix said:

What do you think the Conservatives' long term message would be to the public after a no-deal Brexit. "Yes, we risked the country's stability for something we passionately believed in, but trust us now"?

No doubt you find that a compelling message but the overwhelming majority who aren't in the death cult will not. Bear in mind also that the death cult is disproportionately comprised of pensioners, so it has a diminishing audience too.

Unless you plan mass euthanasia or worse the proportions of pensioners are continuing to grow.
    Different pensioners. It's a conveyor belt, but without the cuddly toy.
    Twas always the case yet the proportions of votes for right-wing parties in that group have continued to grow.
    It's easy to see why those who get wealthier as they age might become more attracted to the party of the property-owning classes.

It's less easy to see why those who get older would decide that an idea that they thought was batshit mental was in fact not batshit mental.
    Experience?
    The last couple of years have shown that all the airy generalisations that Leavers went in for before the referendum result were complete horse feathers. All that's happened is that Leavers have got steadily more deranged and extreme.

Now it may be that Remainers are innately superior in intellect and stability to Leavers, but I wouldn't base my predictions on it. People bend the facts to their opinions, not vice versa.
    Name one airy generalisation that has categorically been shown to be complete horse feathers.
    "We hold all the cards"
    "They need us more than we need them"
    "If we vote Leave, we can dictate the terms"
    "If we No Deal, it will force the EU to the negotiating table to give us what we want." appears to be coming up quickly on the rails to take over as the next batshit mad one.
    maybe BMW have finally stirred
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

It's as simple as that.

They've tried the rest. They've mde themselves look like wazzocks in the process. Now time to cave in to the best least worst deal on offer.

Some of us have been there for ages.
    I wonder if we'll get a deal-or-no-deal referendum option.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,785

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

I would not expect it to go great. But, if it went as Robert Smithson suggests, there would be a lot of people who would not suffer adverse consequences.

That's probably not enough, as the media will run on stuff that went wrong but could have been planned for and had some sympathetic victim, and the government will be hit with this from all kinds of media and every part of the political spectrum from Corbyn to Farage.

If it's mainly screwing untelegenic people then it may be survivable though.
    Yes, if it's people from Goldman Sachs complaining, it will be very popular.
    I have to say I was surprised that in this doomsday document to the pm about no deal, it was said food costs would rise by upto 10%. Much that is unwelcome and the poorest would definitely be at the sharp end of that, let's say it's actually 5-6%...I honestly doubt people would notice & certainly no enough for mass riots in Sainsbury's ala Venezuela.

The way it has been hyped up, a bit like the overdone cuts narrative, I think a lot of people are expecting hyperinflation and bread shortages.
    Not advocating the benefits of No Deal here, but just as general rule I'm cautious of claims where impact statistics are
    (a) Quoted as "up to",
    (b) Not accompanied by a central estimate or range of most plausible estimates,
    (b) Calculated on the premise that the organisation that cared enough about the impact that it ordered the assessment to be written, nevertheless choosing to do nothing within its power to reduce that impact.

If we end up in a No Deal situation in which the government really does voluntarily impose enormous tariffs to drive up prices of food, household essentials and industrial inputs, then they'll have managed to turn something economically risky and self-destructive into something even more risky and self-destructive...
    Yes, I dont think No Deal would look like a zombie apocalypse, not least as we can often subtitute foodstuffs with others. Something like 8% of my departments treatment packs come from the EU, but if that is disrupted it mostly means cancellations and delays to treatment rather than fatalities. Things can be mitigated in the short term, but the long term degradation of the country would be more insidious and reversible.

I am pretty relaxed about No Deal personally.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,791
    malcolmg said:

Fake grievance alert !!!!!
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,028
    dixiedean said:

Am beginning to think passing TMs Deal may turn out to be the worst possible result for the government. All other scenarios, and blame can be deflected. In that one, you still have a fractured, resentful Party, with no one else to shoulder the responsibility.
    And no solution to the blatant fact, we don't know what kind of future relationship we want.

Not least because of the imminent VoNC from the drumbashers.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,382
    Hammond to propose May's deal plus a referendum
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,936

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Sean_F said:

it's the only route if you beleive that Brexit should happen.

That's simply not true. Both a Customs Union and Common Market 2.0 were available to vote for last night.
    BUT THEY NEED THE WA...

Sigh, this is like brick wall.
    They could still have been voted for. Conservative MPs en masse decided to play ducks and drakes instead.
    But why should Tories vote for something they don't want?

Because it would be awfully nice for the rest of us if, like, we didn't have chaos and disorder because some mutton-headed imbecile with a blue rosette couldn't compromise.
    What's Nadine Dorries got to do with it?
    Nadine Dorries is one of the more sensible MP's on this issue.
    It's the way you tell 'em
    Compared to Mark Francois or David Lammy, she's the voice of reason (I accept, I'm not setting the bar high).
    Holding up Mark Francois and David Lammy as equally ridiculous is the embodiment of white privilege.
    ?
    I doubt that a black man as stupid as Francois could have become an MP.
    Why? Intelligence isn't a predictor of becoming a MP. Being a MP isn't a predictor for being intelligent (arguably given recent events it is a predictor of stupidity). Lammy has recently used the "white saviour" trope to criticise a real person, but the "white saviour" trope applies to fictional narratives, not real people: it's like criticizing a real person for not having a narrative arc or a poor soundtrack.

You don't need intelligence to become a MP. You need to get nominated for the party most likely to win in your constituency, and for that you need to fit the profile that the selectors want.

• Options
    IanB2 said:

Source?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

G, the EU did more for Scotland than London ever did, even with them siphoning off Scottish funds and giving away our fishing rights to get what they wanted for the south east.
    Would be in EU any day rather than UK.
    I am hoping it is No Deal and we can get out of it and back into EU.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Source?
    Telegraph
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884
    edited April 2019
    Scott_P said:
    Letwin Cooper are in cloud Cukoo land

Revoke will not get a majority IMO

Less than 6.1m support it
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Source?
    Telegraph
    Thanks
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Less than 6m support it
    It is not revoke. It is to stop no deal
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 710

The good news if we no deal is it kills UKIP and Farages new party

Not at all, it will give them a boost. The chaos, job losses and bankruptcies will be blamed on it being the wrong kind of No Deal.
    Or rather blamed on Hammond and friends blocking more extensive and earlier preparations for it.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

G, the EU did more for Scotland than London ever did, even with them siphoning off Scottish funds and giving away our fishing rights to get what they wanted for the south east.
    Would be in EU any day rather than UK.
    I am hoping it is No Deal and we can get out of it and back into EU.
    Not so sure the Fishermen would agree Malc
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    Scott_P said:
    Its funny how it was only going to be one day, then two, now a week....it is why it has set such a dangerous precedent.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

Scott_P said:

It'll get through the Commons. Problem is the Lords, where there is no guillotine. It relies on the PM being willing to ask for the Legislation whilst the Bill is still in progress. Or the anti-Brexit majority in the Lords doing everything to counter the inevitable filibuster, sitting all night etc.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    NeilVW said:
    We are all also presuming that Macron doesn't throw a wobbler and says arhh f##k it, let the Brits eat (jaffa) cakes.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,883
    Afternoon all :)

Massively and completely off-topic !!!

As I am off work today, I have a large number of errands to run for Mrs Stodge but they took me to East Ham High Street so I thought I'd see what the impact of the change to the FOBT maximum stake from £100 to £2 was having.

As might have been expected, shops which had been busy with men playing the FOBTs are now deserted. While Paddy Power were showing the "virtual" Grand National at mid-morning (won by the 8/1 joint favourite so it's not perhaps the bookies' race everyone imagines though with TIGER ROLL at an insane 7/2 maybe it is) there was me and an old boy watching it with the FOBTs deserted and it was almost the same at Hills, Ladbrokes, Betfred and the other Paddy Power as well as Jennings.

Previously, every FOBT would be occupied from 8am to 10pm with a crowd round it - I suspect the "good times" for the High Street bookies are over but racing and the exchequer will also suffer as the gamblers will go online. According to the RP, despite months of publicity, a lot of the players didn't know or realise (or, to be honest, understand) the rules had changed.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Its funny how it was only going to be one day, then two, now a week....it is why it has set such a dangerous precedent.
    Its not as if the Government is doing anything useful with the time?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884

Scott_P said:

Less than 6m support it
    The only way to stop No Deal by then will be Revoke

As Tin Ears Deal is not passing
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited April 2019
    edit - duplicate posts.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Less than 6m support it

It could also be in the form of binding May to ask for an extension ; Britain will then have to accept the EU demand, probably for an election.

• Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    IanB2 said:

Scott_P said:

It'll get through the Commons. Problem is the Lords, where there is no guillotine. It relies on the PM being willing to ask for the Legislation whilst the Bill is still in progress. Or the anti-Brexit majority in the Lords doing everything to counter the inevitable filibuster, sitting all night etc.
    The HOL can change the rules to stop a filibuster . That’s not the issue but refusing to revoke Article 50 as May might say isn’t really that controversial . I’m a Remainer and don’t suport revoke . Any decision to Remain has to go back to the people . MPs can’t just cancel it.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,319
    NeilVW said:
    Wow. Theresa's really intends to play Russian roulette with the British economy. I suppose the hope must be that she can pin some blame for the ensuing carnage on Jezza's intransigence. That's high risk though.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Scott_P said:

Less than 6m support it

Exactly.

I don't know if there is a book open on it, but revocation in the next fortnight ought to be a pretty low price.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986

Scott_P said:

Less than 6m support it

It could also be in the form of binding May to ask for an extension ; Britain will then have to accept the EU demand, probably for an election.

So far the EU has not bound us on what course of action we must take. They'd be wise to continue that tack.
  • Options
    This thread can

no longer sit with this party.

• Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    NeilVW said:
    Is she also arranging her troop deployments to keep the Red Army away from the bunker?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,790

NeilVW said:
    We are all also presuming that Macron doesn't throw a wobbler and says arhh f##k it, let the Brits eat (jaffa) cakes.
    No, that's not presuming anything. Macron has no say in a choice between No Deal and revoke.
    Either, of course, would mean a very unhappy and even more divided Britain.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

NeilVW said:
    No, that's not presuming anything. Macron has no say in a choice between No Deal and revoke.
    Either, of course, would mean a very unhappy and even more divided Britain.
    Sorry yes you are right. I obviously thinking about pushing for this extension that Cooper/ Letwin etc are trying to do.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    The Bercow decision is huge . All 4 stages of the Bill in one day.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,508
    NeilVW said:
    Hang on, IanB2 told us that was impossible?
This discussion has been closed.