Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Matthew Shadsy of Ladbrokes on the WH2020 betting phenomenon o

Comments

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    Dr. Foxy, 2008... what happened after that?

Was it the biggest recession in British history, by any chance?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    edited March 2019
    May still has options

i) New Referendum
    ii) General Election
    iii) Talking to Corbyn about the political declaration (If he is honest then Labour are broadly happy with the WA, and a change to the PD could see Labour whipped support. If Corbyn is not being honest it should quickly show and another option can be moved to)
    iv) Revocation.

None of them are particularly happy options for her but I think she needs to be pushed through one of those doors.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

I hope the EU grants an extension to the 30th June and that is it. No further discussion or negotiation

That should focus minds

Are you prepared to accept no deal on 30th June if it doesn't focus minds?
    If the HOC cannot come to its senses by then they all deserve to be sacked. No deal is a collective failure of our political class and they will not be forgiven
    True though I think that's already the case now. What's 3 more months going to solve?

A 3 month extension only makes sense to either prepare for implementing the deal [which only makes sense if the deal is ratified on time] or to prepare for no deal [recognising Parliament and the Government's failure to achieve a deal or prepare adequately until now]. A renegotiation would require years but the EU isn't prepared to offer that.

Parliament should make a choice and it should make it this week. If it can't make a choice, the government should adopt no deal or a long extension.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,075

Surely that's not all of it? Let me know if you run out, I might have a bottle or two to spare..

Nice collection!

No, it's not all of it. But I can't match yours.
    I thought only leavers had a big collection of whines? ;)
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Pulpstar said:

May still has options

i) New Referendum
    ii) General Election
    iii) Talking to Corbyn about the political declaration (If he is honest then Labour are broadly happy with the WA, and a change to the PD could see Labour whipped support. If Corbyn is not being honest it should quickly show and another option can be moved to)
    iv) Revocation.

None of them are particularly happy options for her but I think she needs to be pushed through one of those doors.

Point iii: 'if he is honest'. I think I see the snag...
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

148grss said:

Sean_F said:

Cicero said:

Two weeks out from Brexit and the Conservative chaos continues unabated. This catastrophic policy has undermined trust in every basic institution of our country. Parliament is derided, the civil service condemned, the Union more brittle than ever, the economy holding its breath.

The irresponsible press has a field day whipping up hatred against judges, business people, entrepreneurs and any other person who questions the insanely damaging course we are currently following.

I simply do not understand why the Conservatives, far from facing absolute annihilation, are actually ahead in most polls.

When I speak to Conservatives I simply get a sense of utter despair: "We cannot go on like this". They are right, we can't. May is an inflexible dud as PM, BoJo a shallow sham, Rees Mogg a sinister crook. etc etc.

I guess all those "citizens of Nowhere" seem to have become citizens of Ireland.

The reason why Conservative support is where it is is that 45% + favour Brexit, lots of people don't like Corbyn, and there is full employment.
    I found this article at the time interesting, I wonder if it is still the case.

https://www.businessinsider.com/unemployment-in-the-uk-is-now-so-low-its-in-danger-of-exposing-the-lie-used-to-create-the-numbers-2017-7?r=US&IR=T
    The Claimant Count is pretty meaningless as a definition of unemployment, but the ILO figures (which is the ONS headline figure) is generally considered accurate. Saying that anyone who is not currently employed is therefore unemployed is very misleading.

And, as it happens, real wages have started going up again.
    real wages have started going up again

Its good to see at least one Remainer threat come true
    https://twitter.com/ToryFibs/status/1107942175722168321?s=19
    lol

the hand of desperation

slash doctors salaries, halve their pensions :-)
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

May still has options

i) New Referendum
    ii) General Election
    iv) Revocation.

If he isn't (And he's made the offer quite openly and on the record) then it creates political difficulties for Corbyn. Nevertheless it's an avenue the Maybot hasn't had the wit to pursue yet.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,819
    What the hell is the point of May asking for a short extension "with the option of a longer one"?
    (Apart from posturing, of course)

The only circumstance where a short extension makes sense is where May gets the Withdrawal Agreement passed after all and uses the time to tidy things up legislatively.

If this were to happen, then "3. The Treaties shall cease to apply to the State in question from the date of entry into force of the withdrawal agreement or, failing that, two years after the notification referred to in paragraph 2, unless the European Council, in agreement with the Member State concerned, unanimously decides to extend this period."

The time deadline (including any extension) only has any effect if no Withdrawal Agreement is signed off.

Getting a longer extension has exactly the same effect as a shorter extension with the option of going longer if necessary. It's not even as if it's to pressure MPs with the fear of the extension running out - she's said she wants the option of the longer one.

Head. Desk.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

May still has options

i) New Referendum
    ii) General Election
    iv) Revocation.

If he isn't (And he's made the offer quite openly and on the record) then it creates political difficulties for Corbyn. Nevertheless it's an avenue the Maybot hasn't had the wit to pursue yet.
    TBH I think it's a fools' game trying to agree anything with Corbyn. He has no interest in facilitating a smooth Tory-led Brexit, he wants as much chaos as possible, and for simple electoral reasons he has the problem that many of his voters and activists would prefer him to stop Brexit altogether.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Katya Adler (who's generally been spot-on throughout this whole saga) predicted the other day that the EU would pretend they were minded against granting an extension at first, but almost certainly would do so at the last minute "through gritted teeth".
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,832

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

148grss said:

Sean_F said:

Cicero said:

Two weeks out from Brexit and the Conservative chaos continues unabated. This catastrophic policy has undermined trust in every basic institution of our country. Parliament is derided, the civil service condemned, the Union more brittle than ever, the economy holding its breath.

The irresponsible press has a field day whipping up hatred against judges, business people, entrepreneurs and any other person who questions the insanely damaging course we are currently following.

I simply do not understand why the Conservatives, far from facing absolute annihilation, are actually ahead in most polls.

When I speak to Conservatives I simply get a sense of utter despair: "We cannot go on like this". They are right, we can't. May is an inflexible dud as PM, BoJo a shallow sham, Rees Mogg a sinister crook. etc etc.

I guess all those "citizens of Nowhere" seem to have become citizens of Ireland.

The reason why Conservative support is where it is is that 45% + favour Brexit, lots of people don't like Corbyn, and there is full employment.

https://www.businessinsider.com/unemployment-in-the-uk-is-now-so-low-its-in-danger-of-exposing-the-lie-used-to-create-the-numbers-2017-7?r=US&IR=T
    The Claimant Count is pretty meaningless as a definition of unemployment, but the ILO figures (which is the ONS headline figure) is generally considered accurate. Saying that anyone who is not currently employed is therefore unemployed is very misleading.

Anyone who quotes 2008 figures are themselves disingenous. 2008 was peak bubble, why should we compare with that?
    It is why Tory claims that things are all rosy don't go down well in Stoke, Hartlepool or even Leicester.
  • Options

What the hell is the point of May asking for a short extension "with the option of a longer one"?
    (Apart from posturing, of course)

The only circumstance where a short extension makes sense is where May gets the Withdrawal Agreement passed after all and uses the time to tidy things up legislatively.

If this were to happen, then "3. The Treaties shall cease to apply to the State in question from the date of entry into force of the withdrawal agreement or, failing that, two years after the notification referred to in paragraph 2, unless the European Council, in agreement with the Member State concerned, unanimously decides to extend this period."

The time deadline (including any extension) only has any effect if no Withdrawal Agreement is signed off.

Getting a longer extension has exactly the same effect as a shorter extension with the option of going longer if necessary. It's not even as if it's to pressure MPs with the fear of the extension running out - she's said she wants the option of the longer one.

Head. Desk.

Good point!
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

148grss said:

Sean_F said:

Cicero said:

Adding to the criticism of this abuse of statistics, if more people are entering employment at the lower end of the wages distribution both the mean and mode will fall but it is better that they are employed than unemployed. Better for them and better for the rest of us.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

May still has options

i) New Referendum
    ii) General Election
    iv) Revocation.

TBH I think it's a fools' game trying to agree anything with Corbyn. He has no interest in facilitating a smooth Tory-led Brexit, he wants as much chaos as possible, and for simple electoral reasons he has the problem that many of his voters and activists would prefer him to stop Brexit altogether.
    Put him on the spot then, ask Labour to spell out the precise political declaration they want.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

It is why Tory claims that things are all rosy don't go down well in Stoke, Hartlepool or even Leicester.

I doubt that things were booming in 2008 in Stoke, Hartlepool or even Leicester. The boom was largely in London and the South East.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,880
    edited March 2019

I have no doubt the EU are now in control of the UKs destiny and Barnier, it has to be said is on top of his brief

ERG have not only lost their dream they have trashed our image abroad

Remaining in the EU would be humilating and embarrassing and I still hope TM gets her deal through.

As far as I can tell, May has no coherent plan to get her deal passed via normal parliamentary business.

She does not have the votes, and she does not have permission of the House.

Her Plan A (never mind that we are already on Plan Z) must be to seek a small amend to the Political Declaration in order to enable an MV3 and leave by June 30.

However, the EU will not be satisfied that May can actually achieve this and so will insist that she sign up to a potential longer delay which must include a guarantee of “an electoral event”.

All polling tells us that an election does *not* solve the problem. Only a referendum can enable a conclusion to the satisfaction of the EU.

Therefore, if my thinking is correct, May will return with an amend to the PD, and an MV3 which, if unsuccessful, will lead to a referendum.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Danny565 said:

Katya Adler (who's generally been spot-on throughout this whole saga) predicted the other day that the EU would pretend they were minded against granting an extension at first, but almost certainly would do so at the last minute "through gritted teeth".

You can hardly blame the EU for letting off a bit of frustration.

Surely there's no way it'll be blocked though - self destructive for no purpose.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    @Harris_Tweed FPT - it’s a legacy from when Oxford only did MAs not BAs (MAs require 3 years self study after university). But when their undergraduates looked for a job after 3 years they were at a disadvantage

So they created the BA but view it as a not real degree.

The “MA (Oxon)” is fine - no one cares and there is nothing dodgy about it. Passing it off as a “real” MA definitely not acceptable

@Richard_Nabavi

There is a double first - it properly refers to the archaic 11 term courses such as Greats. If you get a first in both the 4 term and the 7 term parts it is considered a “Double First”.

My grandfather got one in Greats and All Souls were happy to recognise it when they elected him a fellow. (Shame I didn’t inherit his brains)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

May still has options

i) New Referendum
    ii) General Election
    iv) Revocation.

Put him on the spot then, ask Labour to spell out the precise political declaration they want.
    I'm in the minority of Labour members who until a few months ago would've been happy with Corbyn agreeing a "Labour-ish Brexit" with May, but I wouldn't now. Even if they got a commitment to a customs union into the political declaration, I wouldn't trust May not to rat on that commitment at the first chance.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

I have no doubt the EU are now in control of the UKs destiny and Barnier, it has to be said is on top of his brief

ERG have not only lost their dream they have trashed our image abroad

Remaining in the EU would be humilating and embarrassing and I still hope TM gets her deal through.

Didn't you get the memo? We shouldn't be embarrassed by this mess because, well, reasons. ;)

The leavers have turned their beloved Great Britain into Little Britain.

(Which as well as being an unfunny TV comedy, is also a place on the Grand Union Canal near Cowley Peachy Junction. So Little Britain is on the way to the Slough of despond ...)
    It's also a street in the City of London. (And arguably also Brittany: [Petite-]Bretagne to Grande-Bretagne.)
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,079
    What will you do after 3rd of April.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

May still has options

i) New Referendum
    ii) General Election
    iv) Revocation.

I think that a second referendum is getting more likely. With one bound she is free... Get WA passed subject to a referendum. Set up a commission to recommend to parliament the mechanics of the referendum within two weeks. For the commission remit only one option mandated to be on the ballot (WA), they will recommend the other(s) plus voting system. If the commission is seen to be balanced by the public then it would be hard for parliament not to implement the recommendation. We could get two way or structured three way decision. May says government will implement decision.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    In the rest of the world, Britain is increasingly being seen as resembling a patient in a dementia ward, mumbling "We used to rule a quarter of the world you know!"
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,788
    Charles said:

There is a double first - it properly refers to the archaic 11 term courses such as Greats. If you get a first in both the 4 term and the 7 term parts it is considered a “Double First”.

So could you get a 'Double First' in Modern History as Hannan claimed?

On the MA point, Chemists have/had to do a fourth year of study (the Part II - a research project) to get an Honours degree (if you stopped after 3 years it was an Ordinary Degree) and hence later an "MA".
  • Options
    oldpoliticsoldpolitics Posts: 455
    Fenster said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

148grss said:

Sean_F said:

Cicero said:

"Dr" Eoin Clarke's account!

What about unreal wages?
    Or indeed aggregate wages.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Call that stockpiling. Pah! That's a normal supply in our house.
    I have already drunk my stockpile and have to start again
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

Pulpstar said:

May still has options

i) New Referendum
    ii) General Election
    iv) Revocation.

I think that a second referendum is getting more likely. With one bound she is free... Get WA passed subject to a referendum. Set up a commission to recommend to parliament the mechanics of the referendum within two weeks. For the commission remit only one option mandated to be on the ballot (WA), they will recommend the other(s) plus voting system. If the commission is seen to be balanced by the public then it would be hard for parliament not to implement the recommendation. We could get two way or structured three way decision. May says government will implement decision.
    Wasn't the government supposed to implement the decision of the last referendum?
  • Options
    Mr. G, on drinking: has Irn-Bru stuck with its reportedly far inferior new recipe? Just curious.
  • Options
    SeanTSeanT Posts: 549
    malcolmg said:

Bravo
  • Options

Mr. G, on drinking: has Irn-Bru stuck with its reportedly far inferior new recipe? Just curious.

MD , I believe it has, I never drink it myself but have seen many complaints about it. Though still popular I believe, I had new doors fitted last week and the joiners were drinking Irn Bru in their break.
  • Options
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

148grss said:

Sean_F said:

Cicero said:

Anyone who quotes 2008 figures are themselves disingenous. 2008 was peak bubble, why should we compare with that?
    That the artificially inflated 2008 figures which included London-based mammoth bankers bonuses inflating the averages due to the banking bubble in London aren't matched is why claims don't go down well in Stoke, Hartlepool or Leicester.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,980
    malcolmg said:

Cyclefree said:

I've followed OGH's example, and have given up alcohol, at least for the time being.
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    malcolmg said:

:smiley:
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,020
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

May still has options

i) New Referendum
    ii) General Election
    iv) Revocation.

Wasn't the government supposed to implement the decision of the last referendum?
    Yes but that was just the word of the Prime Minister, the Leader of the Opposition, both front benches and just about every single spokesman for both campaigns. What on earth made you think they were being honest?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

May still has options

i) New Referendum
    ii) General Election
    iv) Revocation.

Yes but that was just the word of the Prime Minister, the Leader of the Opposition, both front benches and just about every single spokesman for both campaigns. What on earth made you think they were being honest?
    My bad!
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

With apologies FPT:

it doesnt seem to have struck JS and ASDA that screaming about price increases post Brexit while simultaneously claiming there will be price decreases in the post Brexit world may be somewhat inconsistent.

Likewise if both supermarkets claim they will be stretched to maintain their supply chains next month why on earth would we want to add the turmoil of a supply chain reorganisation in to the mix.

But then Greg Clark is easily duped.

There will be substantial food price rises whether we Brexit or not. Several reasons: the entire industry has largely tied itself in knots trying to second guess events. Vast amounts of cash is tied up in stored stock, ingredients and packaging all stockpiled as a hedge against disruption. All that costs money. The massive change to ordering patterns has genuinely loaded costs onto producers who have had to work flat out to fulfill enhanced orders.

Even if Brexit is significantly delayed next week costs have been incurred (albeit not as big an increase as we'd see if we crash out). We've also seen cost loading and cash flow strains on businesses not resilient enough to cope (and yes, I count the likes of Asda and JS in this as they are not remotely profitable enough for their stock exchange overlords).

So price rises are inevitable. Brexit has cost the industry a lot and we haven't left yet. And for the few lucky sods not directly hit by costs? They'll go for price anyway as its a free hit if everyone else is doing so.
    As of a couple of weeks ago a grain merchant friend of mine said that no vessels of wheat had been traded for post March 29th delivery. Push the supposed exit date back and I can't see how things will work out to say nothing of carry costs.
    With all due respect, that's bullsh1t. The dry bulk (to the UK) market has gone a bit - err - illiquid, and costs have risen, but the idea that there are no ships coming after the 29th is ridiculous.
    It's what he said, Robert. Don't shoot the messenger. Not a vessel of wheat. He also told me that he wouldn't be a sheep if we get no deal brexit which was validated when if you remember the carve out was for sheep farmers in the government's no deal plans (such as the are).

I'll pm you his number if you like and you can chat all about it.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,788
    Well this is truly batSh*t mental......the Zionists and Communists are behind the "Muhammadans" (sic):

https://twitter.com/Socialist_Chris/status/1107707369839038464
  • Options
    Mr. G, cheers.

Sugar tax puritanism is not something of which I approve.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    Danny565 said:

Quite. They want to humiliate May and the Brexiteers and, given the chaos and vast waste of time and resources of the past three years, who can blame them.

I guess the EU would like to see the back of May and a reset of the process under a new leader, preferably after a GE or new referendum. So a short extension is not a runner - will have to be at least 9 months.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

May still has options

i) New Referendum
    ii) General Election
    iv) Revocation.

It was indeed. I think for a lot of the electorate May / the government are seen as trying to implement the decision in a reasonable way but are being prevented by multiple factions in parliament. "We tried, this is now the best way forward" along with the "the second vote will be more informed" argument would probably give a second vote legitimacy and all leading figures would either have to argue for a boycott or sign in blood that they would respect it. There are no easy outcomes apart from simply passing the WA, this looks like the least bad alternative.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

https://twitter.com/David_K_Clark/status/1108017116865691649

Really late to this. Some of us started in the autumn.

We've been practising foraging for nuts and berries in the hedgerows.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    rpjs said:

Scott_P said:
    In the rest of the world, Britain is increasingly being seen as resembling a patient in a dementia ward, mumbling "We used to rule a quarter of the world you know!"
    Obviously not someone who travels much
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    I'm surprised it's as low as 68% for both groups!

At this point it's like a once exciting TV series in its 7th season, turning to ever more ridiculous plot twists beyond suspension of disbelief, and characters becoming complete caricatures of their former selves.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Charles said:

@Harris_Tweed FPT - it’s a legacy from when Oxford only did MAs not BAs (MAs require 3 years self study after university). But when their undergraduates looked for a job after 3 years they were at a disadvantage

So they created the BA but view it as a not real degree.

The “MA (Oxon)” is fine - no one cares and there is nothing dodgy about it. Passing it off as a “real” MA definitely not acceptable

@Richard_Nabavi

My grandfather got one in Greats and All Souls were happy to recognise it when they elected him a fellow. (Shame I didn’t inherit his brains)

I have MAs from both Oxford and Cambridge even though I studied at neither.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

malcolmg said:

Cyclefree said:

I've followed OGH's example, and have given up alcohol, at least for the time being.
    I think about it but I enjoy it too much. I love a beer after work and wine with dinner.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

May still has options

i) New Referendum
    ii) General Election
    iv) Revocation.

The thing about statutes is, they are statutes. In a country subject to the rule of law, they are not susceptible to alteration by the whimsical dictat of Big Men,. Brexit may or may not mean Brexit, but advisory means bloody advisory.
  • Options

Mr. G, cheers.

Sugar tax puritanism is not something of which I approve.

MD unbelievable, we are not allowed bogoff on alcohol either , the nanny state is pathetic.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,980
    malcolmg said:

Sean_F said:

malcolmg said:

Cyclefree said:

I think about it but I enjoy it too much. I love a beer after work and wine with dinner.
    So do I. That's the problem.
  • Options
    Miss Vance, that's alarmingly crackers.

Interesting use of language too. I think (could be wrong) Muhammadans is something of an archaic term.

Mr. G, pathetic indeed. I've almost never bought alcohol (very rarely for myself, more often for others as gifts) but that sort of meddling puritanism is absolute nonsense.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,999

At this point it's like a once exciting TV series in its 7th season, turning to ever more ridiculous plot twists beyond suspension of disbelief, and characters becoming complete caricatures of their former selves.
    I do miss the X-Files. Then they bought it back. And I remembered why it was cancelled in the first place... :(
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191

Charles said:

So could you get a 'Double First' in Modern History as Hannan claimed?

On the MA point, Chemists have/had to do a fourth year of study (the Part II - a research project) to get an Honours degree (if you stopped after 3 years it was an Ordinary Degree) and hence later an "MA".
    MChem.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Prima facie the detailed figures for the most recent Opinium poll look a bit odd.
    The headline results were - Con 38 Lab 34 LD 8 UKIP 8 Grn 3.
    When TIG was included the figures became - Con 35 Lab 35 LD 7 UKIP 8 Grn 4 TIG 4.
    I find those results to be somewhat counter intuitive!
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Prima facie the detailed figures for the most recent Opinium poll look a bit odd.
    When TIG was included the figures became - Con 35 Lab 35 LD 7 UKIP 8 Grn 4 TIG 4.

TIG-mania sweeping the nation.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,832
    Brom said:

rpjs said:

Scott_P said:
    The view from across the pond:

https://twitter.com/NewYorker/status/1107034519104819200?s=19

https://twitter.com/doctor_oxford/status/1107748100658155522?s=19

And the channel:

https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/1107609266347753473?s=19
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

justin124 said:

Why would Labour and the Greens gain a point when TIG is included?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,015

Well this is truly batSh*t mental......the Zionists and Communists are behind the "Muhammadans" (sic):

These leaflets were circulating in Newcastle yesterday.
    Interested in what role "transgender and sexualised children" are playing in facilitating the Muhammadan takeover of society.
    What could they possibly have to gain?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Brom said:

rpjs said:

Scott_P said:

And the channel:

That's actually the view from Twitter. What is the circulation of the New Yorker per chance? The problem is you live in an echo chamber. I travel and the discussion about Brexit is no more than Australia's political changes, New Zealand terrorism, Japanese abdication, President Trump, French yellow jackets, Italian extremism or Canadian political scandal.

You need to expand your horizons beyond your twitter following to realise Brexit really is not on the lips of normal people outside the UK despite what you might wish.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

These leaflets were circulating in Newcastle yesterday.
    Interested in what role "transgender and sexualised children" are playing in facilitating the Muhammadan takeover of society.
    What could they possibly have to gain?
    "Fabian Socialism" is behind "the Muhammadans". Now I've heard it all.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited March 2019
    Also remember a surprising proportion of people on ZHC are actually top rate tax payers.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Brom said:

Foxy said:

Brom said:

rpjs said:

Scott_P said:

And the channel:

That's actually the view from Twitter. What is the circulation of the New Yorker per chance? The problem is you live in an echo chamber. I travel and the discussion about Brexit is no more than Australia's political changes, New Zealand terrorism, Japanese abdication, President Trump, French yellow jackets, Italian extremism or Canadian political scandal.

You need to expand your horizons beyond your twitter following to realise Brexit really is not on the lips of normal people outside the UK despite what you might wish.
    Try this from the Italian equivalent of Reuters:

https://twitter.com/alastairmeeks/status/1105747852918210561?s=21
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2019
    Brom said:

Foxy said:

Brom said:

rpjs said:

Scott_P said:

And the channel:

The fact that it isn't the first thing on people's lips doesn't mean the country's stock hasn't plummeted. My anecdotal experience is bemused disappointment among northern europeans, and less interest among southern europeans.
  • Options
    Brom said:

Foxy said:

Brom said:

rpjs said:

Scott_P said:

And the channel:

That's actually the view from Twitter. What is the circulation of the New Yorker per chance?
    1.04 million, which is pretty impressive for a such a relatively high-brow magazine. It's also very influential - the sort of people who read it are exactly not the sort of people you want to think your country is a laughing stock if you're looking towards a future where exports and trade are going to be even more important.
  • Options
    Brom said:

Foxy said:

Brom said:

rpjs said:

Scott_P said:

And the channel:

Your first paragraph does not support your second paragraph. In the first paragraph you state that foreigners do talk about Brexit but no more than they talk about other political events. In your second para you state that foreigners don't talk about Brexit.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,150
    justin124 said:

Danny565 said:

justin124 said:

Because, proportionately, the TIGs attract more voters who will vote Conservative to keep.out Labour than vice versa
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    justin124 said:

Danny565 said:

justin124 said:

Are they two completely separate polls (with, presumably, different respondents)? The Opinium website is presenting them separately.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Brom said:

Foxy said:

Brom said:

rpjs said:

Scott_P said:

And the channel:

That's actually the view from Twitter. What is the circulation of the New Yorker per chance?
    1.04 million, which is pretty impressive for a such a relatively high-brow magazine. It's also very influential - the sort of people who read it are exactly not the sort of people you want to think your country is a laughing stock if you're looking towards a future where exports and trade are going to be even more important.
    1m? in a country the size of the USA. You are probably aware The Sun and The Mail have a bigger circulation and more influence upon a smaller nation. In which case we'll draw the UK worldview from those newspapers. It's strange how people both want to big up the UK's global influence saying we are on everyone's lips but at the same time say we have become an irrelevance because we're leaving the EU. Quite a hypocrisy.
  • Options

Brom said:

Foxy said:

Brom said:

rpjs said:

Scott_P said:

And the channel:

Funny, I've scrolled the Corriere della Sera website and not a mention.
  • Options
    Trumpton Junior – second best at everything – he isn't even the biggest twat in his family.
  • Options
    Brom said:

rpjs said:

Brom said:

Foxy said:

Brom said:

rpjs said:

Scott_P said:

And the channel:

1m? in a country the size of the USA. You are probably aware The Sun and The Mail have a bigger circulation and more influence upon a smaller nation. In which case we'll draw the UK worldview from those newspapers. It's strange how people both want to big up the UK's global influence saying we are on everyone's lips but at the same time say we have become an irrelevance because we're leaving the EU. Quite a hypocrisy.
    1 million is a seriously impressive circulation for a news magazine, anywhere.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    Could a GE still be called for 2nd May? When is the last possible deadline for that?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Brom said:

Brom said:

Foxy said:

Brom said:

rpjs said:

Scott_P said:

And the channel:

Funny, I've scrolled the Corriere della Sera website and not a mention.
    Or this from Bild from yesterday:

https://www.bild.de/politik/ausland/politik-ausland/naechste-brexit-klatsche-parlaments-chef-durchkreuzt-may-plaene-60737340.bild.html

Note the sub-heading, which begins: "Das Brexit-Desaster geht in die nächste Runde".
  • Options

And while in the early seasons there could be self-containing episodes each week, we've reached the stage now where every episode needs to finish on yet another cliffhanger.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    edited March 2019
    Mortimer said:

Could a GE still be called for 2nd May? When is the last possible deadline for that?

There's still time.

For example the 2005 general election, held on 5th May wasn't called until 5th April (it was put back from 2nd April due to the death of Pope John Paul II)
  • Options
    Brom said:

Foxy said:

Brom said:

rpjs said:

Scott_P said:
    Oebviously not someone who travels much

And the channel:

...The problem is you live in an echo chamber. I travel....
    In common with many Remainers, I have a British passport, a full time job[1] in Britain, a mortgage on the property in Britain where I live, and I am paid in GBP. So my opportunities to travel are somewhat constrained. I realise that Leave voters in two of Goodwin's three tribes (the retired and wealthy social conservatives) have greater opportunities to travel than I, but hopefully one day I will be able to join such well-travelled luminaries. On those happy days I will devote myself to the unearthing of interesting facts for my fellow countrymen and women for their greater elucidation and delight.

But regardless in where I go and what I unearth, I will take great care to avoid the "oi am considerwably better travelled than yaw" tone which you have so unfortunately embodied.

[1[ Unusually I have more than one job. But that's by-the-by.
  • Options
    Is Section 28 making a return to Birmingham? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-47613578

This seems utterly inexcusable to me.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Mortimer said:

There's still time.

For example the 2005 general election, held on 5th May wasn't called until 5th April (it was out back from 2nd April during to the death of Pope John Paul II)
    Different rules under the FTPA.

We need 25 working/sitting days between dissolution and election day.

So middle of next week is the last day for dissolution for a May 2nd election.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Brom said:

Foxy said:

Brom said:

rpjs said:

Scott_P said:
    Oebviously not someone who travels much

And the channel:

...The problem is you live in an echo chamber. I travel....
    In common with many Remainers, I have a British passport, a full time job[1] in Britain, a mortgage on the property in Britain where I live, and I am paid in GBP. So my opportunities to travel are somewhat constrained. I realise that Leave voters in two of Goodwin's three tribes (the retired and wealthy social conservatives) have greater opportunities to travel than I, but hopefully one day I will be able to join such well-travelled luminaries. On those happy days I will devote myself to the unearthing of interesting facts for my fellow countrymen and women for their greater elucidation and delight.

But regardless in where I go and what I unearth, I will take great care to avoid the "oi am considerwably better travelled than yaw" tone which you have so unfortunately embodied.

[1[ Unusually I have more than one job. But that's by-the-by.
    Well if you misquote... But it's better to travel and speak to people than to rely on twitter for your worldview.
  • Options
    notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006

Foxy said:
    Yes, well there was a little matter of a humongous world financial crash, the worst since at least the 1930s, which happened under the previous Labour government and was made particularly bad for the UK because the Labour government had dismantled supervision of our banking system. Choosing a start point at the top of the unsustainable boom, just before the crash, is a rather, how shall I put it, 'selective' view of the figures.
    And the income tax changes makes every basic rate taxpayer about £1,200 a year bettter off.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,597
    edited March 2019
    I've been across Europe a lot recently.

The German attitude last week is widespread across Europe.

1) There's a general incredulity towards Brexit.

2) Wonder if we'll revoke.

3) Thanks that following the 'success' of Brexit, no other country has the wish to follow the UK's lead, heck even Marine Le Pen has changed the Front national's Frexit policy. We've done wonders for the cause of European unity.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,452

Is Section 28 making a return to Birmingham? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-47613578

Labour: The party of Antisemitism and Homophobia?
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,438

GIN1138 said:

Mortimer said:

There's still time.

For example the 2005 general election, held on 5th May wasn't called until 5th April (it was out back from 2nd April during to the death of Pope John Paul II)

The electoral commission provides a helpful guide to a generic general election timetable.

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/__data/assets/word_doc/0005/173066/UKPGE-Election-timetable-generic.doc
  • Options
    edited March 2019

3) Thanks that following the 'success' of Brexit, no other country has the wish to follow the UK's lead, heck even Marine Le Pen has changed the Front national's Frexit policy. We've done wonders for the cause of European unity.

3) For now.

We're at a rather phony stage of Brexit. Like everything, this too shall pass and then we will see what happens next. If we make a success of it, then Frexit might suddenly become appealing again. Though I would expect Swexit before Frexit.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,452
    viewcode said:

I do miss the X-Files. Then they bought it back. And I remembered why it was cancelled in the first place... :(
    X-Files: I Want To Be-Leave?
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

justin124 said:

Danny565 said:

justin124 said:

Are they two completely separate polls (with, presumably, different respondents)? The Opinium website is presenting them separately.
    Maybe so - perhaps I made too many assumptions there! The first set of data appears to have fieldwork from 12th March to 15th March whilst the survey including TIG is a day shorter - ie 13th March to 15th March. The latter also had a slightly bigger sample. I find that surprising - given the cost of commissioning such surveys.
  • Options

And while in the early seasons there could be self-containing episodes each week, we've reached the stage now where every episode needs to finish on yet another cliffhanger.
    I think the cliffhangers have lost their punch.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    Brom said:

Foxy said:

Brom said:

rpjs said:

Scott_P said:

And the channel:

We'll have sorted out Brexit and our "laughing stock status" before America has moved Donald Trump out of the White House.

Anyone would think they are SO embarrassed about Trump having been elected, they are looking for some distractions to make them feel better....
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

Full marks to the protestor who is complaining about being victimised as a homophobe while saying that he doesn’t accept homosexuality as a valid sexual relationship.

Of course, nothing will be done. Suggesting that Western values are somehow superior to medieval barbarity might be racist.

Naturally, we should allow more people with these views to settle in our country. What could possibly go wrong?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    edited March 2019

GIN1138 said:

Mortimer said:

There's still time.

So there's still plenty of time to have it with the EU elections?

Would't that be fun :D
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Not with polling like this. I await your detailed analysis of the latest output from the random number generators.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Mortimer said:

There's still time.

The two Easter Bank Holidays probably mean that Tuesday 26th March would be the latest day for a Dissolution - though this would need to be preceded by a Commons vote as in 2017. An election announcement would be required by Monday - possibly earlier.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,275

3) For now.

We're at a rather phony stage of Brexit. Like everything, this too shall pass and then we will see what happens next. If we make a success of it, then Frexit might suddenly become appealing again. Though I would expect Swexit before Frexit.
    "Phony stage of Brexit"???? If this is the phony stage I don't really want to be around for the real thing. Brexit, the country, and its major political parties, are in the middle of an existential crisis. People are determining the worth of their countrymen upon whether they are "leavers" or "remainers". No country wants the psychodrama we are putting ourselves through for such marginal gains, if there are any gains at all.

This too will pass and hopefully we can come out the other side but no outcome, none, can make another country look at this and think "I fancy some of that".
This discussion has been closed.