Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Calling all PB Football Fans!

13»

Comments

• Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    And you don't think that doesn't happen with the remaining grammar schools now, or with better off parents being able to afford to pay for extra tuition for the tests?
    AndyJS said:

"The reason that the abolition of the 11 plus was so popular with both Labour and Conservative parties in the sixties and seventies was because the old system was a long way off perfect."

Abolishing grammar schools was indeed very popular with a lot of people because it meant that if their children turned out to be not as bright as they hoped they'd be they could get them into a better school by paying for a house in a different catchment area with better comprehensives. In other words, it became all about money, which of course disadvantaged bright children from poor families.

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    In 1987, we lost our power and couldn't get out of the lane - our neighbours were without power for two weeks.

The house I live in now lost its roof and the shed was found two fields away...!! The owners hid in the cellar.
    Floater said:

Cyclefree said:

Floater said:

Cyclefree said:

Here in London it is raining. On watching the news, youngest son says: "Are they going to do this every time there's a light drizzle?"

I took work home on Friday "just in case"

good job really as they have decided no trains before 9am from here.

I know what you mean.

But in 1987 I was living down in Kent and it was really bad where we were.

Absolutely no way of sleeping through it and power out in the middle of the night.

The noise of it all was just amazing.

I could walk in to work back then and there were trees down everywhere, roofs off or badly damaged, walls knocked over.

We also had an amazing fall of snow in January of the same year I think, perhaps the year before.

Worked in London then and I think I could not get in for days. Spent the afternoons in a pub instead, happy days!

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    The grammar school system was an honest way of doing things, even if you didn't agree with it.

The current system is totally dishonest, because everyone pretends it's fair when in fact it's all about being able to afford property in catchment areas with the best schools.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    >> Where is this super storm?

Would this be the storm that might deliver 1.5 inches of rain in 9 hours in the worst case? Forgive me a slight smile.

I checked the BBC news site, and read that airlines were 'instructed' to reduce their schedules by between 5% and 20% between the hours of 06:00 GMT and 22:30 GMT, leading to about 60 flight cancellations. This does not apply to long-haul flights, which is bizarre.
  • Options
    >> Does anyone know how you convert wind speeds and snowfall from the South East scale into the Everywhere Else scale.

Windscale?
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    edited October 2013
    Well quite. I was in Jamaica when a sudden storm blew up - it was brilliantly exciting, took out a large section of the hotel's glazed roof, palm leaves everywhere, water 6" deep, plastic chair wreckage and all over in about 15 mins. It was impossible to stand up outside without clinging on for grim death.

The staff came out with brooms and bins and it was all gone within about 30 mins... Being in a sand storm in the Sahara was my worst = trying to out run it as it loomed behind us all red and menacing and then hiding under my Land Cruiser wrapped in a tent. That felt like the end of the world and went on for about an hour.
    Tim_B said:

>> Where is this super storm?

Would this be the storm that might deliver 1.5 inches of rain in 9 hours in the worst case? Forgive me a slight smile.

I checked the BBC news site, and read that airlines were 'instructed' to reduce their schedules by between 5% and 20% between the hours of 06:00 GMT and 22:30 GMT, leading to about 60 flight cancellations. This does not apply to long-haul flights, which is bizarre.

• Options
    Plato -

it's just bizarre that airlines were 'instructed' to reduce their schedules.

When big storms hit here, which they do at least once a year, the airport situation is predictable.

Aircraft don't fare well on the ground in high winds.

So airlines try to relocate their aircraft to airports out of the path of the storm at least 12-18 hours before the storm arrives.

Then when the storm arrival is imminent, airports close.

The government doesn't 'instruct' airlines or airports to do anything.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Selection at 16 seems more reasonable than at 11.

Germany has different sele tion policies in different states.

Overall the differences in educational rankings seem to have little to do with academic selection at a young age.

It is a particularly British obsession, and one that does not even have majority support of any of our major parties.
    HYUFD said:

RichardTyndall Foxinsox - Finland selects, but at 16. Australia is comprehensive I believe.

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Spare a thought for those seriously affected by bad weather - those who can walk to work. If my colleagues struggle to get in, I might have twice as much work to do tomorrow as usual.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,833
    edited October 2013
    I've forgotten which PBer gave the following link earlier in the year, but for those interested:

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,585
    Foxinsox - Some grammars take pupils at 16
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxinsox - Some grammars take pupils at 16

Our school took in pupils to join us in the Sixth Form - we used to call them "immigrants" :)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,585
    Sunil Good one!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,140
    tim said:

Does anyone know how you convert wind speeds and snowfall from the South East scale into the Everywhere Else scale.
    Is it divide by Pi?

The customary unit for rainfall is the spherical inch, so yes undoubtedly a pi is involved. ;-)

• Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Storm? What storm? There is a bit of light drizzle here in Croydon.
    I predict that the media has been whipping itself up into a hysteria and frenzy of doom-mongering, just in case. I reckon the storm itself will be a damp squib, a whimper, not as drastic as forecast and not as bad as 1987.

What's worse than raining cats & dogs?
    Hailing taxis!
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    The Ed Miliband/Unite edition.
    The Scotsman cartoon: Falkirk
    "Labour leader Ed Miliband is facing pressure to reopen an inquiry into vote-rigging, after a cache of e-mails suggested that the Unite official at the centre of the Grangemouth dispute was involved in derailing a candidate selection investigation."
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    The most depressing film I've ever seen is probably Lilya 4-ever (released in 2002):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lilya_4-ever

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/lilya_4ever/?nopopup=true
  • Options
    "UK STORM: Monday rush-hour trains cancelled as Croydon gets ready for 80mph winds":

http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/UK-STORM-Monday-rush-hour-trains-cancelled/story-19994746-detail/story.html#ixzz2iz5m4B5q
  • Options
    "Stormy conditions are expected to affect London on Sunday night and Monday morning. At present, it is planned that London Overground Services will not operate before 09:00hrs on Monday. Road users are advised to take extra care. All road and public transport users are advised to check for the latest updates before travelling with service providers and www.metoffice.gov.uk."

http://www.tfl.gov.uk
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,166
    Tim_B said:

Plato -

it's just bizarre that airlines were 'instructed' to reduce their schedules.

When big storms hit here, which they do at least once a year, the airport situation is predictable.

Aircraft don't fare well on the ground in high winds.

So airlines try to relocate their aircraft to airports out of the path of the storm at least 12-18 hours before the storm arrives.

Then when the storm arrival is imminent, airports close.

The government doesn't 'instruct' airlines or airports to do anything.

Presumably if you've already got every available slot filled at the best of times, you know that if you lose some of those slots to storms there's no way you'll be able to catch up. And if you know not all the flights people are expecting will be able to fly, it makes more sense to decide which ones to cancel and tell them in advance, rather than having everybody wait around at the airport for something that's never going to happen.
This discussion has been closed.