Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » TIGgers can reshape politics – but not as a collective of lone

Comments

• Options
    Fucking Welsh.

Tony Blair was right.
  • Options

Wales delivering what England should have been doing.

Wales puts England to the sword and deserve it
  • Options
    Bugger.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,870

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

See what I mean? That's creepy, right, no matter which party was referred to?

An under-remarked constant of British life.
    Other countries get richer; Britain’s regions stagnate in low productivity and low expectations.

Really we ought to see economic migration from Leeds to Ljubljana. The latter offers a far more pleasant quality of life as well.

https://twitter.com/thomasforth/status/1099361785658990593?s=21

If we're comparing regions of the UK to various nations, shouldn't we compare regions of those nations as well? Are all regions of Slovenia growing?
    Slovenia’s too small to have regions really.
    It’s only 2m to Yorkshire’s 5m.

And Yorkshire is no means the worst.

If Wales were independent it would be one of the poorest countries in the EU.
    So would East Germany or southern Italy.
    All East German lander are now streets ahead of Wales and the poorer English regions. Despite enduring nearly 50 years of Communism.

You are right about the Mezzogiorno, but one would hope we had slightly higher aspirations in this country.
    You seem to hate this country.
    Why? For pointing out bad economic statistics?
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    I had a very bad feeling about this game, and I was right. Had it been at Twickers I have no doubt the result would be very different
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236
    edited February 2019

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Other countries get richer; Britain’s regions stagnate in low productivity and low expectations.

Really we ought to see economic migration from Leeds to Ljubljana. The latter offers a far more pleasant quality of life as well.

If we're comparing regions of the UK to various nations, shouldn't we compare regions of those nations as well? Are all regions of Slovenia growing?

All East German lander are now streets ahead of Wales and the poorer English regions. Despite enduring nearly 50 years of Communism.

You are right about the Mezzogiorno, but one would hope we had slightly higher aspirations in this country.
    50 years of communism, less impoverishing than 300 years of union (or 700 years of annexation).
  • Options

kle4 said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistical_regions_of_Slovenia

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Statistical_regions_of_Slovenia_English.PNG
  • Options

You can’t run in idle in games as hard, physical and desperate as this. It’s very very hard to beat Wales in the millennium stadium. Always.

England weren’t really bothering for the first 15 minutes of the second half, just kicking it, whilst Wales were giving it their all.

Then England just lost their composure in the last 10 minutes.
  • Options

Poor discipline by England here. I thought we’d got past this.

Yeah, football should be played with the feet!!
  • Options
    Wales may have the economy of a corrupt post-Soviet Balkan republic, but they can still beat the English at rugby. Fantastic!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Why? For pointing out bad economic statistics?
    Your posts with respect to this country are full of anger and contempt.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    brendan16 said:

brendan16 said:

IanB2 said:

GSTQ isn't appropriate as the England anthem

Better than bloody dirge that is Jerusalem.
    Why not land of hope and glory or there'll always be an England (albeit with a slight alteration of the lyrics to change Empire to EU?).

LOHG always used to be the anthem used for England. GSTQ is silly to use - as most of the nations England regularly plays in rugby have the same queen!

Something for us 'Little Englanders'!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhCqRAzf2I4
    I Vow to Thee, my Country' isn't bad. First verse only, of course.
    They could always sing the lyrics to the sixth verse of GSTQ at the Calcutta cup! You could always pretend you were singing about Virginia Wade?

I vow to thee my country is a fine song - but what is wrong with the second verse as its quite powerful?

And there's another country, I've heard of long ago,
    Most dear to them that love her, most great to them that know;
    We may not count her armies, we may not see her King;
    Her fortress is a faithful heart, her pride is suffering;
    And soul by soul and silently her shining bounds increase,
    And her ways are ways of gentleness, and all her paths are peace.
    That's the third verse. The (not often sung) second is somewhat more reminiscent of colonialism.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

50 years of communism, less impoverishing than 300 years of union (or 700 years of annexation).
    3 years never mind 300
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    Not particularly smart stuff by Thornberry.
    Better to take a regretful tone than to accuse the Tiggers of being austerity lovin’ Tory huggers.
    To be fair TM and the party have been much kinder with hopes they may rejoin in the future

The labour leadership have been found out for the nasties they are
    Luckily our Bridgens are backbenchers and not running the party infrastructure (yet)
    They are driving policy whenever they like because of their numbers.
    True to a large extent but that is not the same as owning the party structure as their equivalents do in labour.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    edited February 2019

You can’t run in idle in games as hard, physical and desperate as this. It’s very very hard to beat Wales in the millennium stadium. Always.

England weren’t really bothering for the first 15 minutes of the second half, just kicking it, whilst Wales were giving it their all.

Too conservative when they were on top. Fair enough they were sticking to the game plan of putting it high off any slow ball.
    But the plan wasn't working. Back 3 of Wales didn't drop anything and England's blitz defence left them short of gas at the end.
    It has been a consistent failing of England RU over many years. They look very, very good when Plan A works.
    Plan B rarely makes an appearance.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

kle4 said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistical_regions_of_Slovenia

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Statistical_regions_of_Slovenia_English.PNG
    Big fleas have little fleas upon their backs to bite 'em,
    And little fleas have lesser fleas, and so, ad infinitum!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,947

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Depends where they started!
  • Options
    StreeterStreeter Posts: 684

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

A ridiculous non sequitur there. Entirely in character of course.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,902
    Arse.
  • Options
    edited February 2019

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    Not particularly smart stuff by Thornberry.
    Better to take a regretful tone than to accuse the Tiggers of being austerity lovin’ Tory huggers.
    To be fair TM and the party have been much kinder with hopes they may rejoin in the future

The labour leadership have been found out for the nasties they are
    Luckily our Bridgens are backbenchers and not running the party infrastructure (yet)
    They are driving policy whenever they like because of their numbers.
    True to a large extent but that is not the same as owning the party structure as their equivalents do in labour.
    Perhaps so, but the effect is the same on the rest of us; a government beholden to them, or else paralyzed because of them..
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Responding to the earlier defence of Corbyn and his inability to effectively answer questions outside Radio Morning Star.

I rarely listen to Radio 4’s 1pm news but on Thursday and Friday I did. Interviews with Abbot and Bradshaw. If I were an interviewer I would talk over them - their unwillingness to answer clear questions was palpable. The latter was particularly egregious. There were no “gotcha” questions.

(Equally and for balance Peter Lilley was hardly convincing but at least purported to answer the questions asked).
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,100

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Thurungia, Saxony-Anhalt and Mecklenburg-Vormern are no wealthier than most of Wales and Yorkshire

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_European_regions_by_GDP
  • Options

Wales may have the economy of a corrupt post-Soviet Balkan republic, but they can still beat the English at rugby. Fantastic!

100 yards from me a new beach front bungalow has just been built costing over one million, within quarter of a mile there are luxury apartments being built overlooking the golf course and sea to the front costing over one million, and we have the Queen of Welsh resorts providing fantastic holiday accommodation with world leader outdoor adventures and fabulous scenery all within easy reach

Please do not run down Wales, we have our share of poverty, not least because we have a useless labour government, but many are doing quite well
  • Options

Fucking Welsh.

Tony Blair was right.

Excuse me
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,136
    kle4 said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

Chris said:

Foxy said:

Chris said:

Foxy said:

Chris said:

Foxy said:

AnneJGP said:

Chris said:

Are we really incapable of devising sufficient safeguards against that possibility? To the extent that we condemn people to die that "painful miserable death"?

Certainly seems to suggest that we'd rather spend our money on setting up a system to help the lonely to commit suicide rather than on setting up a system to help the lonely.
    Let's face it, the most likely outcome is that we'll equivocate and resist and avoid decisions for another 20 years, and spend nothing on either.

My impression is that the strongest advocates for a right to die tend to be those suffering in that situation, while those defending the sanctity of life and the hypothetically vulnerable tend to be (no doubt selflessly) speaking on behalf of others.
    My experience of p done properly.
    End of

It is about treating people as individuals, with agency over their own life - and allowing them to make an informed choice.
    Quite. How can people be so arrogant as to tell others they don't have the right to end their own lives if they find them intolerable?
    The issue of informed consent, and in particular in the presence of cognitive impairment is not an insignificant one.
    Oh, certainly there may be practical "issues". But let's be clear that in principle people have the right to decide for themselves, rather than be told they can't by those who think they know better.
    No, I don't agree. Coercion, consent and mental capacity are unresolvable issues, much as certainty of guilt is in capital punishment.
    Sure, sure. People never have any difficulty in figuring out reasons why they should have the right to tell other people what to do. Not really a surprise.
    Aren't all laws some people telling others they don't have the right to do things?
    No doubt. Your point being what?
    You seemed aggrieved at the principle that people have no difficulty in figuring out reasons that they should have the right to tell other people what to do. I could not understand what the issue with that as a principle was, even if people disagree on where it should be applied. Sometimes it is right.
    Daft stuff. Just because society can't get along without laws, it doesn't mean it's a good thing that some people are addicted to telling other people what to do.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    HYUFD said:

matt said:

HYUFD said:

matt said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

How did it even happen, though, that Jeremy Hunt got it so wrong? First, it is general knowledge; second, Yugoslavia was pretty big news; but surely in any case you'd think that on being appointed Foreign Secretary, he might have looked at a map; that in preparing to visit Slovenia, he might have been briefed on the place by the FCO and our ambassador, and maybe called up Wikipedia on his phone on the way to the airport. Does Hunt write his own speeches? Did no civil servant at least read it through?

It is literally incredible.

Perhaps the influence of Boris Johnson's tenure there was so pervasive that the Foreign & Commonwealth Office has become institutionally buffoonist.
    I don't think Boris ever made as big a historical gaffe as Hunt has
    Lol. His entire career was one gaffe after another.
    You can't blame a public school education either as the 'expert' on N Ireland politics went to a State school! She did, though, do Maths at Uni which suggests she may not have gone near a History or Current Affairs lesson for several years.
    Jeremy Hunt went to Charterhouse, after which he gained a first in PPE, just like his contemporary, David Cameron. Grade inflation at Oxford!
    No history in PPE though, maybe having a historian again as Foreign Secretary like Douglas Hurd was would help
    Is there a no subject where, in a few words, you can quickly prove your ignorance? There can be plenty of history in PPE if that’s what you want.
    Politics, philosophy and economics is not history in any of those elements, you may touch on some history when studying political or philosophical theory but that is not the same as a proper chronological historical narrative however many insults you wish to throw around!
    *checks bookshelves*. Sees dozens of history texts. Considers your siloing and your belief in chronological narrative as the mark of a history degree the work of a simplistic thinker.
    History texts on bookshelves has no connection at all with what constitutes a PPE degree.

A chronological narrative and knowledge of the core facts is also needed before any analysis and identification of themes can be done
    *checks my and my partner’s degrees* Oh look. PPE, History. Undergraduate, Postgraduate.
  • Options

100 yards from me a new beach front bungalow has just been built costing over one million, within quarter of a mile there are luxury apartments being built overlooking the golf course and sea to the front costing over one million, and we have the Queen of Welsh resorts providing fantastic holiday accommodation with world leader outdoor adventures and fabulous scenery all within easy reach

Please do not run down Wales, we have our share of poverty, not least because we have a useless labour government, but many are doing quite well
    You mistake me.

I’m not running it down. I’m frustrated that the country at large seems to accept such poor outcomes for vast swathes of the country, including and perhaps especially Wales.

My own forebears are Welsh. My father was evacuated to the Mumbles during the War. I support Wales in the rugby. And I’m sure Llandudno is lovely (never been, surely will one day).
  • Options
    Streeter said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

I’m sorry, who are you?
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Chris said:

kle4 said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

Chris said:

Foxy said:

Chris said:

Foxy said:

Chris said:

Foxy said:

AnneJGP said:

Chris said:

Are we really

Certainly seems to suggest that we'd rather spend our money on setting up a system to help the lonely to commit suicide rather than on setting up a system to help the lonely.
    Let's fahalf of others.
    My experience of p done properly.
    End of

It is about treating people as individuals, with agency over their own life - and allowing them to make an informed choice.
    Quite. How can people be so arrogant as to tell others they don't have the right to end their own lives if they find them intolerable?
    The issue of informed consent, and in particular in the presence of cognitive impairment is not an insignificant one.
    Oh, certainly there may be practical "issues". But let's be clear that in principle people have the right to decide for themselves, rather than be told they can't by those who think they know better.
    No, I don't agree. Coercion, consent and mental capacity are unresolvable issues, much as certainty of guilt is in capital punishment.
    Sure, sure. People never have any difficulty in figuring out reasons why they should have the right to tell other people what to do. Not really a surprise.
    Aren't all laws some people telling others they don't have the right to do things?
    No doubt. Your point being what?
    You seemed aggrieved at the principle that people have no difficulty in figuring out reasons that they should have the right to tell other people what to do. I could not understand what the issue with that as a principle was, even if people disagree on where it should be applied. Sometimes it is right.
    Daft stuff. Just because society can't get along without laws, it doesn't mean it's a good thing that some people are addicted to telling other people what to do.
    And who said that? Not me for sure. If you had not acted affronted at the idea people find reasons to tell other people what they can and cannot do, then the silliness of that wouldn't have been pointed out.

If you wanted to make a point that people should not do that too much and nor should the law, perhaps you should have said that to start with and not make a passive aggressive comment about the very fact that people tell others what to do when that is very often just fine.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,902
    Wales totally deserved it. England were nowhere on the second half. It was as bad as 2018. Such a disappointment given the first two games.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,889

One thing I've found is that prosperous towns and depressed towns can be found within a few miles of each other.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Thurungia, Saxony-Anhalt and Mecklenburg-Vormern are no wealthier than most of Wales and Yorkshire

Seasoned PBers will understand why I refuse to get into a statistical argument with you.

(If anyone else is interested, I just ask you to look at the figures and make your own judgment).
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

I've no doubt there was some C13th English burgher banging on about penurious sheep shaggers less able to look after themselves than the Bulgar or the blackamoor.
  • Options
    matt said:

HYUFD said:

matt said:

HYUFD said:

matt said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

How did it even happen, though, that Jeremy Hunt got it so wrong? First, it is general knowledge; second, Yugoslavia was pretty big news; but surely in
    It is literally incredible.

Perhaps the influence of Boris Johnson's tenure there was so pervasive that the Foreign & Commonwealth Office has become institutionally buffoonist.
    I don't think Boris ever made as big a historical gaffe as Hunt has
    Lol. His entire career was one gaffe after another.
    You can't blame a public school education either as the 'expert' on N Ireland politics went to a State school! She did, though, do Maths at Uni which suggests she may not have gone near a History or Current Affairs lesson for several years.
    Jeremy Hunt went to Charterhouse, after which he gained a first in PPE, just like his contemporary, David Cameron. Grade inflation at Oxford!
    No history in PPE though, maybe having a historian again as Foreign Secretary like Douglas Hurd was would help
    Is there a no subject where, in a few words, you can quickly prove your ignorance? There can be plenty of history in PPE if that’s what you want.
    Politics, philosophy and economics is not history in any of those elements, you may touch on some history when studying political or philosophical theory but that is not the same as a proper chronological historical narrative however many insults you wish to throw around!
    *checks bookshelves*. Sees dozens of history texts. Considers your siloing and your belief in chronological narrative as the mark of a history degree the work of a simplistic thinker.
    History texts on bookshelves has no connection at all with what constitutes a PPE degree.

A chronological narrative and knowledge of the core facts is also needed before any analysis and identification of themes can be done
    *checks my and my partner’s degrees* Oh look. PPE, History. Undergraduate, Postgraduate.
    Which has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with History being part of a PPE degree.

The fact you had to separate out the History degree only confirms that
  • Options

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

I've no doubt there was some C13th English burgher banging on about penurious sheep shaggers less able to look after themselves than the Bulgar or the blackamoor.
    I think he was a relative of Charles.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Too conservative when they were on top. Fair enough they were sticking to the game plan of putting it high off any slow ball.
    But the plan wasn't working. Back 3 of Wales didn't drop anything and England's blitz defence left them short of gas at the end.
    It has been a consistent failing of England RU over many years. They look very, very good when Plan A works.
    The best teams can adapt their plan to the changing circumstance of the game, of course.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Wales totally deserved it. England were nowhere on the second half. It was as bad as 2018. Such a disappointment given the first two games.

Yes. Never give up when you're ahead.
  • Options

You mistake me.

I’m not running it down. I’m frustrated that the country at large seems to accept such poor outcomes for vast swathes of the country, including and perhaps especially Wales.

My own forebears are Welsh. My father was evacuated to the Mumbles during the War. I support Wales in the rugby. And I’m sure Llandudno is lovely (never been, surely will one day).
    Please find the time to visit Llandudno. You will not be disappointed especially if you explore the area generally.
  • Options

Streeter said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

I’m sorry, who are you?
    “How dare you! Don’t you know who I am, I’m Casino Royale!”
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Seasoned PBers will understand why I refuse to get into a statistical argument with you.

(If anyone else is interested, I just ask you to look at the figures and make your own judgment).
    West Yorkshire, East Yorkshire, East Wales all wealthier than the East German regions I mentioned
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Comments on the BBC at half-time by the (English) commentary team:

"England in total control and the game should be out of sight... Wales totally nullified by England’s ferocious defence."

"England have been ruthless and they are horrible to play against."

"The crowd are watching England and they go silent when they enter the Welsh 22 because they know how ruthless they are."

Hubris ? I think the comments might be OK if it were the EBC rather than the BBC.

A rather more balanced view of the first half would be pretty even, but England certainly edged it by benefiting from a Welsh mistake and were ahead in a tight match.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

One thing I've found is that prosperous towns and depressed towns can be found within a few miles of each other.
    The difference being the mobility and higher incomes of the better educated.

If you have very limited prospects and qualifications you don’t tend to move very far.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995

dixiedean said:

The best teams can adapt their plan to the changing circumstance of the game, of course.
    Indeed. For some reason the Celtic nations are able to adapt. England never seem able to. I don't know if that is coaching or an overemphasis on physical size rather than mental agility, or what.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

That is very true and we do have poverty, dreadful NHS and Education, but we also have had a useless labour government for far too long. It was pleasing to see plaid beat labour in the local election last week in Cardiff
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236
    edited February 2019

"England in total control and the game should be out of sight... Wales totally nullified by England’s ferocious defence."

"The crowd are watching England and they go silent when they enter the Welsh 22 because they know how ruthless they are."

Hubris ? I think the comments might be OK if it were the EBC rather than the BBC.

A rather more balanced view of the first half would be pretty even, but England certainly edged it by benefiting from a Welsh mistake and were ahead in a tight match.

Amusingly the BBC online commentary has frozen at the last Wales try.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

I had a quiet smile to myself on your comment
  • Options

Streeter said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

I’m sorry, who are you?
    Apology accepted. I’m Streeter, your reading skills seem a little off this evening.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

That is very true and we do have poverty, dreadful NHS and Education, but we also have had a useless labour government for far too long. It was pleasing to see plaid beat labour in the local election last week in Cardiff
    The other thing it's difficult to judge a place's prosperity, as a tourist. Places can be very beautiful, with good restaurants and inns, but really quite poor, and conversely, dull as ditchwater, but very prosperous.
  • Options

Amusingly the BBC online commentary has frozen at the last Wales try.
    That's a deliberate policy to dampen down celebration by the uppity provinces.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

The other thing it's difficult to judge a place's prosperity, as a tourist. Places can be very beautiful, with good restaurants and inns, but really quite poor, and conversely, dull as ditchwater, but very prosperous.
    Indeed
  • Options
    notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sounds like you spent a weekend in Harrogate.
  • Options
    Usual caveats of course, but it still seems relevant that even a single digit number is not the LDs finding their level of core support, since even then a sizable portion would head off if only there were another non-Tory and non-Lab option to pick.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

I don’t know if that’s entirely true.
    If you spend a bit more time in a place, or if you make repeat visits, you get a feel for a places’s relative prosperity.

How well maintained is public infrastructure?
    How full are the restaurants?
    How up to date do the shops look?
    What are people wearing?
    Are there noticeable signs of poverty - vagrancy etc.

I was in Bologna a fortnight ago.

Despite beautiful weather, it was definitely a little shabbier than it “should” have been as one of Italy’s more successful cities.
  • Options
    Streeter said:

Streeter said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

I’m sorry, who are you?
    Apology accepted. I’m Streeter, your reading skills seem a little off this evening.
    Yep, you’re a brand new poster here of barely a month.

I’ve been posting here for well over 14 years, since a few months just after the site began, have written thread headers, posted a variety of tips over a number of election cycles and contributed to thousands of discussions. I know most of my fellow regular posters, most in person.

You don’t get to come on here as a rookie and tell me what’s “in character” or not until you’ve been here for a sufficient period time to earn enough respect to do it.

Cheeky little dickhead.
  • Options

Streeter said:

Streeter said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

I’m sorry, who are you?

I’ve been posting here for well over 14 years, since a few months just after the site began, have written thread headers, posted a variety of tips over a number of election cycles and contributed to thousands of discussions. I know most of my fellow regular posters, most in person.

You don’t get to come on here as a rookie and tell me what’s “in character” or not until you’ve been here for a sufficient period time to earn enough respect to do it.

Cheeky little dickhead.
    Yep, pomposity is one of your defining characteristics.
  • Options
    edited February 2019

Streeter said:

Streeter said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

I’m sorry, who are you?

Cheeky little dickhead.
    Who are you supposed to be, Nelson Muntz?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c6/Nelson_Muntz.PNG

• Options
    notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006
    We need eight smiley Mays....
  • Options

You mistake me.

Wales has a number of problems -- but the main problem Wales has is England.

It starts in primary and secondary education where schools teach the history, geography, politics, culture and sociology of everywhere-but-Wales. It continues in tertiary education where universities founded for Welsh young people are given over almost entirely to the education and employment of the not-Welsh.

It exists in broadcasting where BBC Wales spends its budget on a handful of programmes for the English. It concentrates on overweening property developments and touristy travelogues for the non-Welsh,

BBC Wales is a pit of lowbrow English tastes, with wall-to-wall English football coverage and English politics. Together with the Western Mail, the so-called Welsh Media sees Wales as a self-satisfied retirement home for substandard English rejects.

This relentless anti-Welshness permeates everywhere: Natural Resources Wales, National Museums & Galleries Wales, Sport Wales, Visit Wales, the Welsh Language Commission, the Welsh Office and even deep into the heart of the Welsh Assembly itself, stuffed full of people whose first loyalty is to another country.

Welsh Labour is the worst of all. Welsh Labour actually has as its chairperson someone who lives in Bolton. Would any other country in the world put up with this?

England relentlessly exports its problems to Wales. Because the probation service is EnglandandWales, Wales get people like Mark Bridger dumped on us.

Because housing is cheaper in Wales, English councils relentlessly export their problems to Wales (like Britain's fattest women, Georgia Davis, rehoused by an English Council in Wales).

Wales has poor outcomes because it is run for the benefit of another country. So many English people love to pocket easy money and be big fishes in a smaller pond, which to most of them is just western Britain anyway.

As the author Patrick McGuinness said, Wales is "the only country in the world that exists for others”.

Still, I suppose the English could reply that we have dumped Gardenwalker on them.
  • Options
    Streeter said:

Streeter said:

Streeter said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

I’m sorry, who are you?

Cheeky little dickhead.
    And arrogance is clearly one of yours.

A new poster should treat established posters with respect until he or she has an established reputation of their own.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Streeter said:

Streeter said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

I’m sorry, who are you?

Cheeky little dickhead.
    Agreed, except that I think he is a sockpuppet reincarnation of a banned poster. I would hope the mods will agree that the site is better off without the infantile and content-free goadiness of his last two posts.
  • Options

Streeter said:

Streeter said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

I’m sorry, who are you?

Cheeky little dickhead.
    Who are you supposed to be, Nelson Muntz?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c6/Nelson_Muntz.PNG

Why don’t you go back to New Zealand if you don’t like it here so much?

You never have a good word to say about it.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Streeter said:

Streeter said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

I’m sorry, who are you?

Cheeky little dickhead.
    Agreed, except that I think he is a sockpuppet reincarnation of a banned poster. I would hope the mods will agree that the site is better off without the infantile and content-free goadiness of his last two posts.
    Ah, I see. Of course.

You are right of course. The beers and the rugby defeat may not be aiding my restraint or civility.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,878
    Election this summer surely?
  • Options
    UKIP lead them both, TIG seem to be hitting Labour and the LDs worst, both down while Tories up and UKIP unchanged
  • Options
    SeanTSeanT Posts: 549

You mistake me.

It starts in primary and secondary education where schools teach the history, geography, politics, culture and sociology of everywhere-but-Wales. It continues in tertiary education where universities founded for Welsh young people are given over almost entirely to the education and employment of the not-Welsh.

It exists in broadcasting where BBC Wales spends its budget on a handful of programmes for the English. It concentrates on overweening property developments and touristy travelogues for the non-Welsh,

BBC Wales is a pit of lowbrow English tastes, with wall-to-wall English football coverage and English politics. Together with the Western Mail, the so-called Welsh Media sees Wales as a self-satisfied retirement home for substandard English rejects.

This relentless anti-Welshness permeates everywhere: Natural Resources Wales, National Museums & Galleries Wales, Sport Wales, Visit Wales, the Welsh Language Commission, the Welsh Office and even deep into the heart of the Welsh Assembly itself, stuffed full of people whose first loyalty is to another country.

Welsh Labour is the worst of all. Welsh Labour actually has as its chairperson someone who lives in Bolton. Would any other country in the world put up with this?

England relentlessly exports its problems to Wales. Because the probation service is EnglandandWales, Wales get people like Mark Bridger dumped on us.

Because housing is cheaper in Wales, English councils relentlessly export their problems to Wales (like Britain's fattest women, Georgia Davis, rehoused by an English Council in Wales).

Wales has poor outcomes because it is run for the benefit of another country. So many English people love to pocket easy money and be big fishes in a smaller pond, which to most of them is just western Britain anyway.

As the author Patrick McGuinness said, Wales is "the only country in the world that exists for others”.

Still, I suppose the English could reply that we have dumped Gardenwalker on them.
    The Welsh are still the world's best at whining, though, so there's always that?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    edited February 2019
    I must say that I certainly do love splitters. :p
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Possibly, but not because of this, but because of the faint chance of a deal going through and all hell breaking out.
  • Options
    Are they polling for Farage's new party yet?
  • Options
    It’s 10% for others in that poll. Is that high? Seems to imply a very high score for the SNP.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Dire polling for Labour . To be 8 points behind one of the most inept and clueless governments of recent years takes some doing .

• Options
    kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

Possibly, but not because of this, but because of the faint chance of a deal going through and all hell breaking out.
    Yes - I think you have that right
  • Options

Streeter said:

Streeter said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

I’m sorry, who are you?

Cheeky little dickhead.
    Why don’t you go back to New Zealand if you don’t like it here so much?

You never have a good word to say about it.
    “Why don’t you go back to New Zealand if you don’t like it here so much?”

I’ll just leave this comment here to fester a bit. You’re nothing but a bully.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,962
    Streeter said:

Streeter said:

Streeter said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

I’m sorry, who are you?

Cheeky little dickhead.
    FWIW I lurked on and off here for years before posting. PB is a friendly place, but it can sometimes feel quite closed off and intimidating, belonging to people who've been posting here for years.
  • Options

You mistake me.

You just won the rugby.

Are you not pleased?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,347
    edited February 2019
    HYUFD said:

UKIP lead them both, TIG seem to be hitting Labour and the LDs worst, both down while Tories up and UKIP unchanged
    We need more polling but if I were a labour mp I would be very worried
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

They are powering up the electron microscope as we speak.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502

It’s 10% for others in that poll. Is that high? Seems to imply a very high score for the SNP.

Most likely a good poll for the Greens and the SNP once the full poll is published .
  • Options

No, factor in Greens, Plaid Cymru, SNP, and the Brexit Party, it isn't uncommon.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    edited February 2019
    The lib dems - lol

What's the point of them now with this new party.
  • Options
    The good doctors team getting a bit of a drubbing at home

Leicester 1 Crystal Palace 4
  • Options
    SeanT said:

The Welsh are still the world's best at whining, though, so there's always that?

The whimpering Sean Thomas speaks.

Who can ever forget his mewling, panic-stricken posts when he thought a few days before SIndy that the Scots would leave. One of the highlights of pb.com.

I think I slightly prefer Whimpering Thomas to Blustering Thomas.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

They have the benefit of actually existing, but doesn't look like it.
  • Options

Don't forget rounding. Others could be anywhere between 7.5-12.5%.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334

I was there.

I agree with them. At half time I was very despondent and could see no hope for us.

But what a comeback. Even the gits behind me who were threatening to punch the referee in the first half for some imagined bias towards England were cheering.

And that second try was just something else.
  • Options
    These are shit numbers for TIG and the LDs to be honest.
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    RobD said:

I must say that I certainly do love splitters. :p

Hehe.

Hopefully May doesn't get any ideas.........
  • Options

Expect labour wipe out in Scotland
  • Options
    edited February 2019

You mistake me.

You just won the rugby.

Are you not pleased?
    Very pleased.

I am drinking a glass of Penderyn and have a big smile on my face. I am feeling quite mellow.

And to be fair, I thought England played superbly against Ireland away. However, both Ireland and Wales away was always gonna be tough.
  • Options
    I think we can now say with a fair amount of certainty that Jeremy Corbyn will never be Prime Minister. This is very good news. The only downside is that a hopeless, clueless, divided, disastrous Conservative government will be running England for the forseeable future. Our Celtic cousins have other chouces. Lucky them.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

They have the benefit of actually existing, but doesn't look like it.
    So they are polling for a party that hasn't yet been officially formed (TIG) but they aren't polling for a party that has (Brexit Party) ?

Okaaaaaaayyy...
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    no post

• Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Baxter on that: Con354, Lab218, LD6. Tiggies 5!
  • Options

I think we can now say with a fair amount of certainty that Jeremy Corbyn will never be Prime Minister. This is very good news. The only downside is that a hopeless, clueless, divided, disastrous Conservative government will be running England for the forseeable future. Our Celtic cousins have other chouces. Lucky them.

I think you're misunderestimating the damage sustained No Deal will do the Tories.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Dire polling for Labour . To be 8 points behind one of the most inept and clueless governments of recent years takes some doing .

Corbyn is a disaster for labour
This discussion has been closed.