Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour needs a better response than the TIGers should resign a

Comments

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226

deleted

Well allow me then. Can't let the slot go to waste.

A point which strikes me is that there is no point Jeremy winning a general election on a left leaning manifesto if most of his MPs would subsequently not be prepared to support its implementation because "the party has changed beyond all recognition" from the centrist, cowering before the daily mail, losing the last 2 general elections outfit that it used to be before he took over.

So it is better that they piss off now and are replaced in due course (i.e. at the next election) by Labour candidates who genuinely buy into the Labour offer.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

It's perfectly natural for Labour to wish to destroy this threat to them before it has chance to grow (and if they didn't think it had potential to threaten them they wouldn't be trying to crush it at birth). It's also perfectly natural (and reasonable) for TIG MPs to want time to build something solid enough to put to the electorate before actually putting it to the electorate. As for the Conservatives - they've calculated that TIG will hurt Labour more than it'll hurt them so they're happy to lose a few fingers and toes so long as Labour loses whole limbs.

The best TIG argument against by-elections (right now) is that it'd take them all out of the Commons at the precise moment that they have maximum leverage on the most important question to them and to the country. Obviously, that argument has an expiry date but by then, the heat might have gone out of the issue.
    Whatever the optics, they would be mad to chance losing their seats right now. They hold what might be the greatest leverage they ever will and a few more of them will see a formal meeting at No.10 to discuss options.
    And to be fair I don't see why they should. They were elected as individual representatives and much as I disagree with every one of them on the main issue of the day, they should not be bound by the party system to stand down.

It is different if you are an MEP who was elected on a party slate. In that instance I think the law should be changed so you are forced to stand down.
    They should just ignore the Corbynista.

It will become boring in a week or two when every time Williamson appears on TV he just bangs on about by-elections. Public wont care two hoots.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289

On topic, I was probably too absorbed by painfully unobtainable girls and the latest Clash album at the time to pay attention, but when the the SDP was formed how did Labour react? Squeals of betrayal or pained introspection?

The hatred was palpable.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    I think Gove will end up as next PM.

He’s been incredibly quiet the last few months . Aiming to piss off the least amount of Tory MPs !

There’s no chance of anyone but a Leaver winning. I think the more moderate and pro EU wing will try and find someone they can coalesce around .

As a staunch Remainer I have less of an issue with Gove than I do with the Remainers who suddenly have morphed into hard Leavers , like Hunt , Javid whose desperate attempts to ingratiate themselves with the Tory membership are vomit inducing .

Whoever takes over can’t possibly be as xenophobic and immigrant hating as the so called vicars daughter May !
  • Options
    Mr. 67, interesting.

We're not similar in political perspectives generally, but I agree Gove has a credible shot. He's perhaps the best placed man to try and hold the party together, and uniting the wings is suddenly much more important than it might have been.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

Mr. 67, interesting.

We're not similar in political perspectives generally, but I agree Gove has a credible shot. He's perhaps the best placed man to try and hold the party together, and uniting the wings is suddenly much more important than it might have been.

But to continue the Thatcher comparisons; isn't he more Keith Joseph material?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

TOPPING said:

It's perfectly natural for Labour to wish to destroy this threat to them before it has chance to grow (and if they didn't think it had potential to threaten them they wouldn't be trying to crush it at birth). It's also perfectly natural (and reasonable) for TIG MPs to want time to build something solid enough to put to the electorate before actually putting it to the electorate. As for the Conservatives - they've calculated that TIG will hurt Labour more than it'll hurt them so they're happy to lose a few fingers and toes so long as Labour loses whole limbs.

The best TIG argument against by-elections (right now) is that it'd take them all out of the Commons at the precise moment that they have maximum leverage on the most important question to them and to the country. Obviously, that argument has an expiry date but by then, the heat might have gone out of the issue.
    Whatever the optics, they would be mad to chance losing their seats right now. They hold what might be the greatest leverage they ever will and a few more of them will see a formal meeting at No.10 to discuss options.
    And to be fair I don't see why they should. They were elected as individual representatives and much as I disagree with every one of them on the main issue of the day, they should not be bound by the party system to stand down.

It is different if you are an MEP who was elected on a party slate. In that instance I think the law should be changed so you are forced to stand down.

It will become boring in a week or two when every time Williamson appears on TV he just bangs on about by-elections. Public wont care two hoots.
    We are already at that point.
  • Options
    Mr. Rose, unfortunately, that falls squarely into the too old for me to remember and too recent for me to have read about category so I don't know.
  • Options

Mr. Rose, unfortunately, that falls squarely into the too old for me to remember and too recent for me to have read about category so I don't know.

He was the theorist behind the throne.
  • Options
    Mr. Rose, hmm. Perhaps. But who then would be PM?
  • Options

Mr. 67, interesting.

True I think the Tories will try and find someone who can keep the party together . Even though Gove was instrumental in Vote Leave he just doesn’t annoy me as much as the rest !

I think he will be rewarded for not bringing down May in December and also for sparing the country Johnson in 2016!

• Options

Mr. Rose, hmm. Perhaps. But who then would be PM?

Sadly (from a financial perspective) I have no idea!
  • Options
    Mr. Rose, predicting politics right now is far from easy.

Anyway, I must be off.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
    There is no bullying in the Labour party, and anyone who says there is will be hounded out.

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1099006099477446658
  • Options
    You can’t even blame the drink. He’s teetotal! I really despair at what’s happening to Labour .
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,465
    There will be a lot of high level pressure supporting an 'insider' candidate - someone who knows how things work and is trusted. Look for someone who's been in the COBRA committee. Nobody (sadly) is going to want a capable outsider with ideas about mucking out the Augean stables, and it's likely that anyone of that ilk will face a lot of negative briefing and derailment attempts. Doesn't mean that they can't win of course - it has happened before.
  • Options
    Just had an e mail from James Cleverly with Ian Austin saying 'Jeremy Corbyn is not fit to be PM'
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

There is no bullying in the Labour party, and anyone who says there is will be hounded out.

ooh - who can they get to do an "independent" inquiry?
  • Options
    He just can't pass a bonfire without throwing a can of petrol onto it can he?

• Options

TOPPING said:

We are already at that point.
    Every time he opens his mouth Williamson serves a useful function of reminding us all why the MPs were right to leave. Ultimately it is not about Brexit or even antisemitism. It is about how the Labour Party has become irretrievably taken over by a cabal of far left extremists, and the utter disdain that cabal has for anyone who does not share their true faith.
  • Options

There will be a lot of high level pressure supporting an 'insider' candidate - someone who knows how things work and is trusted. Look for someone who's been in the COBRA committee. Nobody (sadly) is going to want a capable outsider with ideas about mucking out the Augean stables, and it's likely that anyone of that ilk will face a lot of negative briefing and derailment attempts. Doesn't mean that they can't win of course - it has happened before.

Amber Rudd it is then.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    nico67 said:

You can’t even blame the drink. He’s teetotal! I really despair at what’s happening to Labour .
    How he can utter such nonsense without acknowledging how ludicrous he sounds, I really don't know.

We can all point to widespread aggressive behaviour by Corbyn supporters - their online antics are scary and absolutely count as bullying.

To deny the reality makes it hard to believe that Corbyn is not suffering from some sort of clinical delusion.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,826
    TudorRose said:

Mr. 67, interesting.

Not really. The leaver Keith Joseph is Daniel Hannan. Gove is more (thinks for a minute) Geoffrey Howe? Margaret Thatcher?
  • Options
    Floater said:

ooh - who can they get to do an "independent" inquiry?
    I am happy to lead it - I won't even ask for a peerage. A knighthood would be just fine!
  • Options

He just can't pass a bonfire without throwing a can of petrol onto it can he?

Time must be coming for a mass walkout by labour mps

Corbyn is unable to react with any empathy to his party's concerns.

At last his unsuitability for office is on full display for everyone to see

He is not a magic grandpa
  • Options
    viewcode said:

TudorRose said:

Mr. 67, interesting.

Not really. The leaver Keith Joseph is Daniel Hannan. Gove is more (thinks for a minute) Geoffrey Howe? Margaret Thatcher?
    That's very unflattering to Keith Joseph. Hannan is a pure fantasist.
  • Options
    #defectionwatch update - Twitter rumour:

John Mann, Margaret Hodge, Phil Wilson, Siobhain McDonagh, Peter Kyle, Catherine McKinnell and Pat McFadden

to go over the weekend.

I'd say Siobhain McD was pretty much certain from her tweets/interviews over the last few days.
  • Options

Amber Rudd it is then.
    I would be very happy with Amber as PM
  • Options
    Corbyn's response to the crisis in the party seems to be "the beatings will continue until morale improves."
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2019

John Mann, Margaret Hodge, Phil Wilson, Siobhain McDonagh, Peter Kyle, Catherine McKinnell and Pat McFadden

to go over the weekend.

I'd say Siobhain McD was pretty much certain from her tweets/interviews over the last few days.

Peter Kyle will wait until his amendment is voted on, surely?
  • Options

to go over the weekend.

Suggest some of them do it at noon tomorrow, just as Jezz starts his rally in Broxtowe.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

He’s been incredibly quiet the last few months . Aiming to piss off the least amount of Tory MPs !

There’s no chance of anyone but a Leaver winning. I think the more moderate and pro EU wing will try and find someone they can coalesce around .

As a staunch Remainer I have less of an issue with Gove than I do with the Remainers who suddenly have morphed into hard Leavers , like Hunt , Javid whose desperate attempts to ingratiate themselves with the Tory membership are vomit inducing .

Whoever takes over can’t possibly be as xenophobic and immigrant hating as the so called vicars daughter May !

I think Gove too.

In fact I would be quite taken aback if it were anybody else.
  • Options
    edited February 2019

nico67 said:

How he can utter such nonsense without acknowledging how ludicrous he sounds, I really don't know.

We can all point to widespread aggressive behaviour by Corbyn supporters - their online antics are scary and absolutely count as bullying.

To deny the reality makes it hard to believe that Corbyn is not suffering from some sort of clinical delusion.
    It’s tragic both May and Corbyn are living in a bubble ! Those hardcore followers of Corbyn simply refuse to accept he’s not up to the job. And any criticism is met with abuse and the Red Tory slur .

I support Labour and would be overjoyed if Corbyn stood down .
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2019

viewcode said:

TudorRose said:

Mr. 67, interesting.

That's very unflattering to Keith Joseph. Hannan is a pure fantasist.
    Yes, Keith Joseph was a quite remarkable politician, one of the most thoughtful since the war. He wasn't afraid to change his mind when the facts seemed to change (notably over state intervention), and he was very rare amongst politicians in intelligently answering questions - pausing to think exactly what he wanted to say before saying it, rather than launching straight into either platitudes or the party line.
  • Options

to go over the weekend.

Which is what he said lunchtime. Makes me wonder how reliable this story is. Next week for defections makes more sense anyway.
  • Options

Fingers and toes is a rather flattering metaphor for what the Tories lost so far. I'd liken it more to getting rid of a bunion.

Actually it's more like they've had their heart and brain removed, in my opinion. :D

• Options

to go over the weekend.

I would have thought so, but who knows?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    edited February 2019

Nigelb said:

Really interesting long read on O’Rourke’s Texas campaign:
    https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/02/22/beto-orourke-campaign-strategy-2020-225193

Next time round it could be considerably more efficient, having learned from beginner mistakes - and as he’d have the cash to scale up much earlier...

:+1:

Really interesting article. Long though.

Will he run?

I'm pretty sure now that Biden will, if Sanders is in the race.
    Don’t know.
    The smartest thing to do (IMO) would be to run for the Senate again. It would be a huge favour to whoever would then be the nominee, and I think he’d win. Would set him up for a presidential run thereafter.

The temptation to take his shot now must be significant, though...

• Options

to go over the weekend.

I would have thought so, but who knows?
    Not sure what difference it makes now - he might get more support for it from outside of Labour
  • Options
    This comment makes Corbyn sound literally mad.

https://twitter.com/harryyorke1/status/1099009021795860480?s=21
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

And I have not put on the central heating today for the first time since October

Spring on the way perhaps and everyone's Brexit will soon all be agreed amicably !!!!!

It was 18C in Aberdeenshire yesterday.

In his temperature scale, Isaac Newton in 1701 defined 6 degrees Newton as "the heat at midday about the month of July". Six degrees Newton is just over 18C.
    The wonder of a fohn wind.
    Not with a southerly wind to the south of the mountains I would have thought.
    There's no other way Aberdeenshire gets to 18 C in February. Must be a descending airflow off the Cairngorms.
    Today highest-ever-recorded Feb temperature records were broken across Cumbria and Northumberland
  • Options
    nico67 said:

nico67 said:

It’s tragic both May and Corbyn are living in a bubble ! Those hardcore followers of Corbyn simply refuse to accept he’s not up to the job. And any criticism is met with abuse and the Red Tory slur .

Looks like Jezza's response to this week is to go on a tour of marginals and run more rallys.

It does feel like his comfort blanket really.

Not one person will change their likely vote because of his rally in, say, Broxtowe, tomorrow I would wager. Just the Cult turning out to cheer their hero on.
  • Options

Well if he doesn't want to be in a party where there's any bullying or harassment the TIGgers have shown him what he needs to do...
  • Options

to go over the weekend.

Suggest some of them do it at noon tomorrow, just as Jezz starts his rally in Broxtowe.
    "I want to make it clear to Bassetlaw people that I have no intention of leaving Labour and I will be the last man standing working to root out the anti-semitism that has permeated the party.

Read more at: https://www.worksopguardian.co.uk/news/john-mann-tells-the-people-of-bassetlaw-he-has-no-intention-of-leaving-the-labour-party-1-9608666"
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,465

Fingers and toes is a rather flattering metaphor for what the Tories lost so far. I'd liken it more to getting rid of a bunion.

Actually it's more like they've had their heart and brain removed, in my opinion. :D

Well I'm sure in many circumstances they're nice people and I'm glad they have their fans (though not many of them seem to be Conservatives). Perhaps we can all agree that they weren't at home in the Tory Party and it's a good thing for all concerned that they've moved on.
  • Options

to go over the weekend.

We could quite possibly be in the midst of the longest period of continual Conservative Government since before the 1832 Reform Act. Labour is going to be utterly knackered for a 2022 GE and the choices on the left may still be split come 2027 (much as the SDP was still in contention in 1987 following the formation of the SDP 6 years earlier). So Conservative government from 2010 until quite possibly 2032.

For that, Corbyn should take responsibility, although he won't. For the far left, it's always someone else's fault.
  • Options
    I’m not sure about these Twitter rumours . The implosion is more likely to occur if Corbyn doesn’t back a second vote . I’d expect utter carnage at that point .
  • Options
    Either Jezza refuses to see bullying in his party, or he can't control it. If the latter, God help us when/if he is trying to lead the country as PM.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I see question time had a UKIP parliamentary candidate as a "generic audience member of the public who was given a long response to the panel" again.

Just amazing how this keeps happening by pure random chance.
  • Options

to go over the weekend.

"I want to make it clear to Bassetlaw people that I have no intention of leaving Labour and I will be the last man standing working to root out the anti-semitism that has permeated the party.

Read more at: https://www.worksopguardian.co.uk/news/john-mann-tells-the-people-of-bassetlaw-he-has-no-intention-of-leaving-the-labour-party-1-9608666"
    So, he's definitly off then! :lol:
  • Options

nico67 said:

nico67 said:

Looks like Jezza's response to this week is to go on a tour of marginals and run more rallys.

It does feel like his comfort blanket really.

Not one person will change their likely vote because of his rally in, say, Broxtowe, tomorrow I would wager. Just the Cult turning out to cheer their hero on.
    I’m not sure about that. It might convince Tories they should back Soubry as a Tigger against Labour.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Is there a long-standing convention that miserable discontented snowflakes in the media or in public-opinion voz-pops traditionally call for defecting MPs to call by-elections, despite it not being a convention that they do so, or is that - in itself - a modern snowflake development?
  • Options
    nico67 said:

I’m not sure about these Twitter rumours . The implosion is more likely to occur if Corbyn doesn’t back a second vote . I’d expect utter carnage at that point .

Oh, he'll back it. Just at the precise moment when it is too late and makes no difference.

He wants a Tory Brexit and he wants to say that he wanted a 2nd vote along, but couldn't quite engineer it.

Pathetic.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786
    kinabalu said:

nico67 said:

I think Gove too.

Given Gove is the front runner there's plenty of scope for a lesser-known figure to run. Rather depends on the time that the switch from may takes place. If its a crisis then probably no time for novices.

The interesting thing about Tory leadership races is that there is a decent list of possibilities. Tory MPs often have a career in something or other behind them. I'd presume on average that they are slightly older and slightly better qualified than those of other parties. (Neither of which in themselves matter, but does lead to a little more experience which is helpful.)

I'd not be surprised to have the final two in any leadership contest to be one of Gove/Boris/Javid/Hunt plus someone that I've barely heard of. No baggage candidates may well be quite attractive!

• Options

to go over the weekend.

We could quite possibly be in the midst of the longest period of continual Conservative Government since before the 1832 Reform Act. Labour is going to be utterly knackered for a 2022 GE and the choices on the left may still be split come 2027 (much as the SDP was still in contention in 1987 following the formation of the SDP 6 years earlier). So Conservative government from 2010 until quite possibly 2032.

For that, Corbyn should take responsibility, although he won't. For the far left, it's always someone else's fault.
    Why take responsibility when you can have a Trumpian rally of the faithful?
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

Either Jezza refuses to see bullying in his party, or he can't control it. If the latter, God help us when/if he is trying to lead the country as PM.

Or he doesn't care because he's getting rid of the unbelievers.
  • Options
    Just out from the Economist:

Moreover, rather than sitting between no-dealers and remainers on age, income, schooling and party, deal supporters look like no-dealers, with two exceptions: interest in politics and y chromosomes. Men who follow politics closely prefer the ideological end-points of leaving with no deal or remaining. Women, especially those who mostly ignore politics, are more open to the deal. Sadly for Mrs May, people bored by politics are also unlikely to vote.

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2019/02/23/british-voters-are-unimpressed-by-theresa-mays-brexit-deal
  • Options
    Torby_FennelTorby_Fennel Posts: 438
    edited February 2019

Well I'm sure in many circumstances they're nice people and I'm glad they have their fans (though not many of them seem to be Conservatives). Perhaps we can all agree that they weren't at home in the Tory Party and it's a good thing for all concerned that they've moved on.

Yes, it's evidently true that they didn't feel at home in the Conservative Party of post 2016. They did, as they've made very clear, feel at home in the pre 2016 Conservative Party.

My own cut-off point was at around the same time... though I was just a (mostly) Conservative voter rather than a member. Now I'm an active Liberal Democrat member in my local branch.

• Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    Ooh, I used to live just around the corner from there. There are at least 4 decent pubs within 5 minutes' walk.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

That's because he wants everybody in Labour to be in tune with his way of thinking, and God help them if they are not.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

kinabalu said:

nico67 said:

I think Gove too.

Given Gove is the front runner there's plenty of scope for a lesser-known figure to run. Rather depends on the time that the switch from may takes place. If its a crisis then probably no time for novices.

The interesting thing about Tory leadership races is that there is a decent list of possibilities. Tory MPs often have a career in something or other behind them. I'd presume on average that they are slightly older and slightly better qualified than those of other parties. (Neither of which in themselves matter, but does lead to a little more experience which is helpful.)

I'd not be surprised to have the final two in any leadership contest to be one of Gove/Boris/Javid/Hunt plus someone that I've barely heard of. No baggage candidates may well be quite attractive!

Trouble is that those sort of contests need a party to be in opposition.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Alistair said:

I see question time had a UKIP parliamentary candidate as a "generic audience member of the public who was given a long response to the panel" again.

They get their audience mostly by writing to the local political parties offering them places in proportion to some secret BBC formula. And to other local organisations, I believe. They advertise to the general public as well, but it's no surprise that most who turn up are politically active.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798

nico67 said:

Oh, he'll back it. Just at the precise moment when it is too late and makes no difference.

He wants a Tory Brexit and he wants to say that he wanted a 2nd vote along, but couldn't quite engineer it.

Pathetic.
    But it could be very smart. It has cost him several MPs, so perhaps a bit later than he should have waited, but he may get his wish.
  • Options
    JohnLoony said:

Is there a long-standing convention that miserable discontented snowflakes in the media or in public-opinion voz-pops traditionally call for defecting MPs to call by-elections, despite it not being a convention that they do so, or is that - in itself - a modern snowflake development?

How modern I don't know, but I feel like every time it happens politicians call for it and media and vox pop agree, so I don't think it is that new.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

When did UKIP last have a panellist?
  • Options

FPT:

Reminds me of Farage when he repeated a well known anti-Semitic trope.

https://twitter.com/Rachael_Swindon/status/1098877152416722944

I believe the same about criticism of the State of Israel. There is no doubt that a lot of such criticism is motivated by anti semitism, but surely no country (or organisation, or individual, or family if the family's decisions have wide reaching effects) can or should be immune from scrutiny.
    No, it should not be immune. And it isn't. It is very easy to criticise it without getting close to any anti-semitic tropes. I'd say I don't understand why people think it is hard, but for some people I think I do.
  • Options
    Penddu said:

Lets just say that the law changed to force a by election. Potential defectors then just wouldnt defect - they would just ignore the whip and do their own thing. Like ERG.

Carswell and Reckless, for all their Kippery, at least had the courage to resign their seats and trigger by-elections.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Ooh, I used to live just around the corner from there. There are at least 4 decent pubs within 5 minutes' walk.
    Dr Palmer's views will be interesting.

It's a weird message - he's taking on the Tiggers by attacking an ex-Tory. Surely he should have been doing this when she was a Tory. So really he's taking on the Tiggers, but failing to take them on man-to-man.

Corbyn needs a quiet home well away from the hustle and bustle of reality. His mind moved in twenty years ago.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Just out from the Economist:

Moreover, rather than sitting between no-dealers and remainers on age, income, schooling and party, deal supporters look like no-dealers, with two exceptions: interest in politics and y chromosomes. Men who follow politics closely prefer the ideological end-points of leaving with no deal or remaining. Women, especially those who mostly ignore politics, are more open to the deal. Sadly for Mrs May, people bored by politics are also unlikely to vote.

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2019/02/23/british-voters-are-unimpressed-by-theresa-mays-brexit-deal

Well I want the Deal passed.

So yet again I find myself hanging around airhead girls.
  • Options

Or he doesn't care because he's getting rid of the unbelievers.
    Aiui the main conduit for abuse is twitter, so it is plausible Corbyn, who is no Trump, has not actually seen the sheer volume; it may be he imagines complainants are a bunch of snowflakes complaining about the odd heckler at a public meeting, which is where he has spent most of the last 40 years.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    G

Belatedly,
    Scott_P said:
    FWIW I read The Standard yesterday for the first time in years. All I would say is that it’s good that it’s free....

Osborne hasn’t changed the “How to buy a £500,000 one bedroom flat in Battersea/Wandsworth” sections (Hat tip, live with one’s parents in Putney for 7 years and rely on wealthier boyfriend).
  • Options
    edited February 2019

Penddu said:

Lets just say that the law changed to force a by election. Potential defectors then just wouldnt defect - they would just ignore the whip and do their own thing. Like ERG.

Carswell and Reckless, for all their Kippery, at least had the courage to resign their seats and trigger by-elections.

Its not a question of courage. I don't think any MP should have to fight their seat again... and the law is on their side.. recent loons to refight their seats include David Davis
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    In response to being asked about the comments McDonnell made on a second ref, Corbyns answer was interesting. He said the Labour Party are discussing as to whether to have the Labour plan for Brexit as an option. He of course was not asked what the other option/options would be. Perhaps no deal versus Corbyn plan.
  • Options

Penddu said:

Its not a question of courage. I don't think any MP should have to fight their seat again... and the law on their side.. recent loons to refight their seats include David Davis
    If there's a dramatic change then they should. Changing from one established party to the other for example. Imagine if Labour won next time round, but it turned out that half of their candidates were Tory plants who all switched the next morning.

The Tiggers have basically just become Labour without the whip at the moment.

If the Tiggers form a party then it gets them closer to needing to test their electoral base, and I think they certainly should if they joined the LDs.

Labour's troubles surely must be exemplified in that their first idea was to make such things illegal.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Omnium said:

Cookie said:

It's a weird message - he's taking on the Tiggers by attacking an ex-Tory. Surely he should have been doing this when she was a Tory. So really he's taking on the Tiggers, but failing to take them on man-to-man.

Corbyn needs a quiet home well away from the hustle and bustle of reality. His mind moved in twenty years ago.
    Not weird at all, Anna is pro austerity and pro EU - so the ideal target for the hard left of Labour !
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    I know Nick thinks Corbyn is a nice person and he's known him for many years.

But if that's the case why is he allowing the likes of Chris Williamson to speak on his and Labour's behalf?

it makes the party look like a bunch of thugs.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Penddu said:

Its not a question of courage. I don't think any MP should have to fight their seat again... and the law on their side.. recent loons to refight their seats include David Davis
    If there's a dramatic change then they should. Changing from one established party to the other for example. Imagine if Labour won next time round, but it turned out that half of their candidates were Tory plants who all switched the next morning.

If the Tiggers form a party then it gets them closer to needing to test their electoral base, and I think they certainly should if they joined the LDs.

Labour's troubles surely must be exemplified in that their first idea was to make such things illegal.
    I think people should resign and face by-elections in such situations, but I would not really support that being legislated for. I think while we all know party labels are why most people are elected technically it is the individual, and so they should not be forced to resign and restand. Their constituents can judge them on not resigning at the next GE (and of course, people often do not, and stand somewhere else).
  • Options

In response to being asked about the comments McDonnell made on a second ref, Corbyns answer was interesting. He said the Labour Party are discussing as to whether to have the Labour plan for Brexit as an option. He of course was not asked what the other option/options would be. Perhaps no deal versus Corbyn plan.

He really is demented . Unless he backs a second vote with Remain as an option there will be a flood of MPs leaving the party . And he can’t have his deal on the ballot as it hasn’t even been agreed to by the EU.

• Options
    Omnium said:

Penddu said:

NO. An MP is elected for the duration of a Parliamentary term or earlier if their is an earlier GE
    No MP should have any kind of restraint upon them regarding their conscience. If the voters don't like it, they can vote them out at the next election.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Omnium said:

Cookie said:

Not weird at all, Anna is pro austerity and pro EU - so the ideal target for the hard left of Labour !
    More to the point, he intends to damn his former colleagues (and his wavering ones) by association.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038

Amber Rudd it is then.
    My fiver is still on her.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    edited February 2019
    nico67 said:

He really is demented . Unless he backs a second vote with Remain as an option there will be a flood of MPs leaving the party . And he can’t have his deal on the ballot as it hasn’t even been agreed to by the EU.

I was thinking his plan could be, vote down May Deal. Say that is dead cannot be on the ref and say ref must be his plan/no deal. He could propose this knowing full well that the Tory party would block it immediately especially as he can get some of his mates in the PLP to vote with the Tories/DUP as well.

Then second ref voted down and he can say well I tried to get a second ref and this leaves May holding the Brexit baby and looking powerless in the house to get what she wants through.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    Omnium said:

Penddu said:

I am surprised the major parties have not set about a system whereby candidates agree to pay X amount if they defect and have a post-dated resignation letter should they decide to desert their party. I remember being impressed when reading a decade or more ago that the DUP had done exactly this! The DUP it has to be remembered hoovered up many UUP MPs/ Cllrs and members.
  • Options

Omnium said:

Penddu said:

NO. An MP is elected for the duration of a Parliamentary term or earlier if their is an earlier GE
    No MP should have any kind of restraint upon them regarding their conscience. If the voters don't like it, they can vote them out at the next election.
    Yeah. Should, not must.

MPs are entirely entitled to consult their own consciences and perhaps just that.

Not quite sure how you managed the caps 'no' !
  • Options

Omnium said:

Penddu said:

If they are elected as a member of Party X ,and then suddenly change to Party Y mid-way through the parliament, then they should.

I do accept that TIG is NOT a formal political party at time of writing.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Penddu said:

Yeah. Should, not must.

MPs are entirely entitled to consult their own consciences and perhaps just that.

Not quite sure how you managed the caps 'no' !
    Just a definitive No..
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Penddu said:

I also think there is a particular problem when MPs cross the floor of the House. Changing the Government (potentially) is more than just a constituency issue. Imagine if the 3 Tory defectors had removed the Government's majority without a single vote being cast. In my view that would be undemocratic without by-elections.
  • Options

Omnium said:

Penddu said:

I am surprised the major parties have not set about a system whereby candidates agree to pay X amount if they defect and have a post-dated resignation letter should they decide to desert their party. I remember being impressed when reading a decade or more ago that the DUP had done exactly this! The DUP it has to be remembered hoovered up many UUP MPs/ Cllrs and members.
    You want your MPs to be able to defect, at least a little. The Tiggers are the perfect example. To my mind they're doing precisely what they're supposed to do if they find themselves in such circumstances. For all of them, as far as I can tell, they see their position as unchanged, and the external factors have made their positions unviable. So the formation of the Tiggers is to my mind absolutely great - precisely what they should do. I have some issue though with their other views - blind disregard to a public referendum is poor form.

• Options

You say there's war and famine in the world. That's your comment, not mine. Of course, I disagree with you, because I don't want to be in a world where there's any war or famine.
  • Options

nico67 said:

I was thinking his plan could be, vote down May Deal. Say that is dead cannot be on the ref and say ref must be his plan/no deal. He could propose this knowing full well that the Tory party would block it immediately especially as he can get some of his mates in the PLP to vote with the Tories/DUP as well.

Then second ref voted down and he can say well I tried to get a second ref and this leaves May holding the Brexit baby and looking powerless in the house to get what she wants through.
    If he thinks Labour Remainers will fall for that then he’s even more deluded than I thought . The conference motion said Remain on the ballot . He either backs that or will see a complete implosion of the party.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Penddu said:

You want your MPs to be able to defect, at least a little. The Tiggers are the perfect example. To my mind they're doing precisely what they're supposed to do if they find themselves in such circumstances. For all of them, as far as I can tell, they see their position as unchanged, and the external factors have made their positions unviable. So the formation of the Tiggers is to my mind absolutely great - precisely what they should do. I have some issue though with their other views - blind disregard to a public referendum is poor form.

Exactly. And in no line of work should someone lose their job - or be forced to compete for it again - because they are being bullied, or want to whisteblow on what is happening in their workplace.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

Omnium said:

Penddu said:

Enforcement would be an interesting exercise. The DUP rival FF for underlying corruption, morally and economically.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Penddu said:

I agree about defection, sometimes it is necessary for instance if a leader is a pathological megalomaniac who works against the national interest i.e. Corbyn.

If the person is PM that is even worse like Gordon Brown but I don't remember him losing MPs by defection more was the pity. To be fair to Brown he was not as bad as Corbyn, nowhere near he was partisan but never a traitor but I do think his economic record was reckless and showed little regard toward sustainability. Brown thought it was all a game. In contrast I don't know what to make of the current PM!
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,141
    TudorRose said:

Omnium said:

Penddu said:

I also think there is a particular problem when MPs cross the floor of the House. Changing the Government (potentially) is more than just a constituency issue. Imagine if the 3 Tory defectors had removed the Government's majority without a single vote being cast. In my view that would be undemocratic without by-elections.
    But that is exactly what should happen if the government no longer commands the confidence of the house, isn't it? There would be a VoNC and (given it would be unlikely that the opposition could form a government unless it was spectacularly finely balanced) a general election
  • Options
    matt said:

Omnium said:

Penddu said:

Enforcement would be an interesting exercise. The DUP rival FF for underlying corruption, morally and economically.
    I was impressed by their foresight, not the same as agreeing with their tactics, record or ethics!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Cookie said:

Beeston - for the party beastin' those who get in their way.
This discussion has been closed.