Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Miliband energy price freeze might not have produced be

2»

Comments

• Options

I still like the lad despite his reliance on a now vastly enriched adviser - come home Gareth!!

Forget Barcelona, you could have Hull today!!! He won't be applauded just for walking up to take a corner as we used to....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/sportvideo/footballvideo/10404073/Today-on-YouTube-Gareth-Bale-is-depicted-as-Forrest-Gump-by-Catalan-press-ahead-of-El-Classico.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/la-liga/10406535/Barcelona-2-Real-Madrid-1-match-report.html

What do you make of the fact that not only did THFC lose Bale, the transfer also enabled Ozil's move to Arsenal. Wonderful example of good disinterested neighbourly beghaviour, I'd say.
    Pretty obvious - a joke - shows what a farce the 'relationship' between Spurs and Real Madrid really is...
  • Options
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2477569/MPs-Plebgate-row-officer-trial-Detective-man-50-years-hauled-Commons.html

This article about the Plebgate Fed reps has really bugged me. Even if I agree that the Police, and the 3 Fed reps haven't covered themselves in glory, dragging Hinton to to the bar to humiliate him if he won't apologise to May for calling her "that woman" is just plain bullying. If I was Hinton, I'd let them drag me to the bar, and then I'd still refuse to apologise, whilst p1$$¡#g on the Speaker's shoes, and take the consequences.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,061
    edited October 2013

PoliticsHome‏@politicshome1m
    Energy UK’s Angela Knight tells #murnaghan “price freezes give completely the wrong results - they have never worked and never will"

If you are in an industry - don't ever recruit Angela Knight to represent you it seems - formerly head of the British Bankers Association from April 2007 until April 2012 and since then head of Energy UK....

where next for her then.... Unite spokeswoman?

This Angela Knight who disapproves of Ed Miliband's proposal is the same Angela Knight who was the Conservative Member of Parliament for Erewash from 1992 - 1997. Funny that.
    Are you implying that a different spokesman for the energy industry, who hadn't been a Tory MP, would approve of Miliband's proposal? Or, if you're not, what point are you making?
    Classic illustation of a Tory MP past = eternal baby eater

My point was the career choices since and how they've not been too clever for the lucky sectors she'd gone in to! Come to think of it, she didn't leave the Tories in top shape either did she....
  • Options
    We can but imagine the endless rubbishing and sneering that would take place here if the person in her position was a former Labour MP and had said the price freeze was a good idea.
  • Options

We can but imagine the endless rubbishing and sneering that would take place here if the person in her position was a former Labour MP and had said the price freeze was a good idea.

You think the spokesperson for their industry would do so if not a Tory?

Interesting concept.

• Options

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2477569/MPs-Plebgate-row-officer-trial-Detective-man-50-years-hauled-Commons.html

This article about the Plebgate Fed reps has really bugged me. Even if I agree that the Police, and the 3 Fed reps haven't covered themselves in glory, dragging Hinton to to the bar to humiliate him if he won't apologise to May for calling her "that woman" is just plain bullying. If I was Hinton, I'd let them drag me to the bar, and then I'd still refuse to apologise, whilst p1$$¡#g on the Speaker's shoes, and take the consequences.

For 'not covering them selves in glory' shouldn't you actually be saying, 'behaved in a manner - lying and through those lies bringing down a government minister - which makes them unfit to continue as police officers'? To be honest if the worst that was to happen to them was that they were humiliated I would consider that they were extremely fortunate and that justice had not been served.

Who in their right minds would now trust any police oficer in any way when this is the example being set by their senior representatives?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,505

In that scenario, the sneering might have been because the price freeze is so obviously not a good idea, for all the reasons gone into passim.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,046

For 'not covering them selves in glory' shouldn't you actually be saying, 'behaved in a manner - lying and through those lies bringing down a government minister - which makes them unfit to continue as police officers'? To be honest if the worst that was to happen to them was that they were humiliated I would consider that they were extremely fortunate and that justice had not been served.

Who in their right minds would now trust any police oficer in any way when this is the example being set by their senior representatives?
    Just imagining if Cameron is forced out and May becomes PM. Who would she appoint as Home Secretary? Andrew Mitchell, perhaps ...

• Options

I don't disagree with you, but as being summoned before the bar never happens, it just seems petty grandstanding. According to the article, it's only his refusal to apologise to May (Mitchell?) that has caused the committee such anguish, that he should be forced to grovel in front of the Speaker's chair. I can think of plenty of our politicians who should also have been humiliated in such a way, but they avoided it.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,068
    F1: the Indian race was fairly entertaining. Post-race analysis is up here:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/india-post-race-analysis.html
  • Options

I don't disagree with you, but as being summoned before the bar never happens, it just seems petty grandstanding. According to the article, it's only his refusal to apologise to May (Mitchell?) that has caused the committee such anguish, that he should be forced to grovel in front of the Speaker's chair. I can think of plenty of our politicians who should also have been humiliated in such a way, but they avoided it.

Perhaps it should happen more often. I would be concerned if it were individual ministers or the government dragging people to the bar but this is a committee of MPs led by a man who has no love for either the government or the individual ministers concerned. I think it is absolutely right that if they feel Parliament itself has been attacked then they should ask for an explanation from the public servant making the attack. Personally I think all three officers behaved atrociously in front of the committee and have done much to damage the reputation of the police service as well as holding Parliament in contempt.

And for the record I was one of those who thought Mitchell was a sneering toff. He might well still be but that doesn't mean the conspiracy against him should go unpunished.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,021
    Bob Crowe DP on Ratcliffe "sitting on a yacht in Switzerland" - wonder how he gets to the Med?

As the Spectator observes:

"Anyone who thought that the row around the Falkirk selection was over will be sorely disappointed, but it hasn’t gone away. And the party still has to select a candidate for the seat at some point, which risks opening the can of worms all over again…"
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Bob Crowe DP

Always fun to watch. As the car industry announces record sales, making stuff other people Worldwide actually want to buy, the man (who can't drive) wants to nationalise the industry. Austin Allegros for all!
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Scott_P said:

Bob Crowe DP

Always fun to watch. As the car industry announces record sales, making stuff other people Worldwide actually want to buy, the man (who can't drive) wants to nationalise the industry. Austin Allegros for all!
    Square steering wheels were a great design... errr...
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Fascinating to keep getting these polls which put the combined Tory/UKIP share on 45% when they only got 40% in 2010. It's definitely a pattern now, rather than a few rogue results.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Fascinating to keep getting these polls which put the combined Tory/UKIP share on 45% when they only got 40% in 2010. It's definitely a pattern now, rather than a few rogue results.

I wonder where the other 5% has come from?
  • Options

No-one in their right mind would say it's a good idea

• Options

Excuse me if I pay no heed to a person who yesterday called Mike Smithson an "idiot".
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,505

Excuse me if I pay no heed to a person who yesterday called Mike Smithson an "idiot".
    So you are saying it is a good idea?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,455
    NEW THREAD
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    AndyJS said:

As over 40% of current UKIP supporters would not vote Conservative under any circumstances and a further 20% would probably not even consider voting Conservative it is pointless to add Conservative and UKIP figures together .
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

AndyJS said:

As over 40% of current UKIP supporters would not vote Conservative under any circumstances and a further 20% would probably not even consider voting Conservative it is pointless to add Conservative and UKIP figures together .
    I understand your point, but you could say the same thing about Con and LD voters in 2010 and they still ended up forming a coalition together with the nominal support of 60% of voters. Those sorts of figures are interesting just as a guide IMO to various unofficial blocs of support.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

I understand your point, but you could say the same thing about Con and LD voters in 2010 and they still ended up forming a coalition together with the nominal support of 60% of voters. Those sorts of figures are interesting just as a guide IMO to various unofficial blocs of support.
    UKIP will have no MP's to form a coalition with after the next GE . Current Conservative and UKIP voters are not a bloc of uniform support either official or unofficial .
This discussion has been closed.