Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » TMay’s problem with the Tory polling resurgence is that it tak

124»

Comments

• Options

Cyclefree said:

Wow! This place is turning nasty....

Please stay. I don’t want to be the only (I think) woman in the village.......
    I am just joining in less. Observing from the sidelines, so to speak.
    I can really understand that. There are many on here really hurting and the damage this mess is doing is undeniable.

At times the forum gets rather nasty and it does not help to see a way through when so much is polarised

However, it is important as wide a view as possible is expressed from all sides and non
    I understand what you are saying, but I think we have reached the stage where any debate is utterly pointless. We have no opposition in the country and a "governing" party in hock to its lunatic fringe and a PM looking to prop up her zombie deal to the end of March.

I have reached the point that I am now looking forward to a hard No-Deal Brexit just to see how the ultras explain the mess. It could be the only redeeming feature of the whole shambles.

Cleary, we live in interesting times.
    I do not want a no deal at all and still have to hope our mps see sense, quickly
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311

Cyclefree said:

I can really understand that. There are many on here really hurting and the damage this mess is doing is undeniable.

At times the forum gets rather nasty and it does not help to see a way through when so much is polarised

However, it is important as wide a view as possible is expressed from all sides and non
    I understand what you are saying, but I think we have reached the stage where any debate is utterly pointless. We have no opposition in the country and a "governing" party in hock to its lunatic fringe and a PM looking to prop up her zombie deal to the end of March.

I have reached the point that I am now looking forward to a hard No-Deal Brexit just to see how the ultras explain the mess. It could be the only redeeming feature of the whole shambles.

I do not want a no deal at all and still have to hope our mps see sense, quickly
    I want the deal but no deal can’t be as bad as the doom sayers keep predicting.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,193
    NEW THREAD
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

I want the deal but no deal can’t be as bad as the doom sayers keep predicting.
    I would rather not test it !!!
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,856
    Cyclefree said:

Chris said:

Cyclefree said:

Chris said:

Cyclefree said:

Here is another instance (I have withheld names but the case is a real one, and in fact still ongoing).

A very prestigious institution hired as a Professor (in a science subject) someone who is a fundamentalist Christian. This individual had previously written a blog posting in which he described homosexuality as a sin.

The institution is now facing calls to dismiss the Professor.

There is no evidence that the Professor has treated gay students any differently from straight students.

The Farron dilemma.
    Though in Farron's case it was rather relevant to his day-job.
    I thought Farron voted for gay rights throughout his time as leader. If so, what did he do wrong? Isn’t that the essence of tolerance - having a private view but voting in accordance with the policies of the party he led?
    Throughout his time as leader perhaps, but he was only leader for two years.

He certainly didn't have a history of voting for gay rights. Probably the worst example is that he actually voted against outlawing discrimination on the basis of sexual preference.

Ah, I didn’t know that.
    I can't speak for Tim Farron, but someone as liberal as Kenneth Clarke voted against the the Sexual Orientation Regulations, for fear that they would restrict free speech, and close Catholic adoption agencies.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

I could watch Gordon Banks’ Pele save all day. Beautiful.

Pele's tribute today was fantastic

"I scored so many goals in my life, but many people, when they meet me, always ask me about that save. While it was indeed phenomenal, my memory of Gordon is not defined by that - it is defined by his friendship. He was a kind and warm man who gave so much to people.

So I am glad he saved my header - because that act was the start of a friendship between us that I will always treasure. Whenever we met, it was always like we had never been apart.

I have great sadness in my heart today and I send condolences to the family he was so proud of.

Rest in peace, my friend. Yes, you were a goalkeeper with magic. But you were also so much more. You were a fine human being."
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    Cyclefree said:

Chris said:

Cyclefree said:

Chris said:

Cyclefree said:

Here is another instance (I have withheld names but the case is a real one, and in fact still ongoing).

A very prestigious institution hired as a Professor (in a science subject) someone who is a fundamentalist Christian. This individual had previously written a blog posting in which he described homosexuality as a sin.

The institution is now facing calls to dismiss the Professor.

There is no evidence that the Professor has treated gay students any differently from straight students.

The Farron dilemma.
    Though in Farron's case it was rather relevant to his day-job.
    I thought Farron voted for gay rights throughout his time as leader. If so, what did he do wrong? Isn’t that the essence of tolerance - having a private view but voting in accordance with the policies of the party he led?
    Throughout his time as leader perhaps, but he was only leader for two years.

He certainly didn't have a history of voting for gay rights. Probably the worst example is that he actually voted against outlawing discrimination on the basis of sexual preference.

Ah, I didn’t know that.
    Whilst I don’t agree with discrimination obviously a large number of catholic organisations felt that they had to give up providing family support services so as not to fall foul of that - I.e. they wouldn’t place an adoptive child with a gay couple. Now if they were the only adoption service then I can see the problem but there are unintended consequences.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370

TOPPING said:

"I scored so many goals in my life, but many people, when they meet me, always ask me about that save. While it was indeed phenomenal, my memory of Gordon is not defined by that - it is defined by his friendship. He was a kind and warm man who gave so much to people.

So I am glad he saved my header - because that act was the start of a friendship between us that I will always treasure. Whenever we met, it was always like we had never been apart.

I have great sadness in my heart today and I send condolences to the family he was so proud of.

Rest in peace, my friend. Yes, you were a goalkeeper with magic. But you were also so much more. You were a fine human being."
    Fantastic
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,220

Cyclefree said:

This should cheer you all up!

https://imgur.com/tWM0KIY

Your garden? I think it has more flowers than I ever had in mine. I am not a gardener.
    Yes - last June. And that is only part of it. You can only see 5 of the 15 rose varieties I have. It is a feast of sensuousness.

Just this morning I found a winter clematis I planted a few years ago merrily flowering away with the most beautiful creamy white bell flowers.

I think I would waste away and die of unhappiness if I did not have flowers and plants around me. Gardening calms and soothes and gives pleasure like few other pursuits. It engages all the senses. And I am doing my bit for the bird and insect population too. What’s not to love.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,856
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Your garden? I think it has more flowers than I ever had in mine. I am not a gardener.
    Yes - last June. And that is only part of it. You can only see 5 of the 15 rose varieties I have. It is a feast of sensuousness.

Just this morning I found a winter clematis I planted a few years ago merrily flowering away with the most beautiful creamy white bell flowers.

I think I would waste away and die of unhappiness if I did not have flowers and plants around me. Gardening calms and soothes and gives pleasure like few other pursuits. It engages all the senses. And I am doing my bit for the bird and insect population too. What’s not to love.
    But, not the slug and snail population.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

:+1:

I am glad that you have something that you enjoy doing and that can bring pleasure to so many others when they see it. I found gardening a lot of work, often cold and dirty and an eternal battle against bugs that insisted on ravaging my apple trees.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Cyclefree said:

OK PB brains trust. A question for you.

Is it worth installing Cat 6 cable in my house? There is pretty good Broadband there already?

If you mean installing cabling instead of relying on wireless, then maybe. All of my devices (apart from handhelds) are hardwired.

If you mean Cat6 instead of Cat5E, then no.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

TOPPING said:

That is wonderful
This discussion has been closed.