Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Sherrod Brown, victor in Ohio last November, looks increasingl

124»

Comments

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079

There were two types of Yellow Jackets on Market Street Manchester yesterday.

The Manchester Collective (A left wing bunch) and the free Tommy lot.

A resisted the urge to shout 'Splitters' at them.

The pro-Brexit ones were waving a French flag in London.

https://twitter.com/ali__samson/status/1089142337618526208
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289
    Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

He spoke Anglo-Saxon, or Early English! Not the same thing!

You'll be telling me next the Romans spoke Italian...

Yet we don't speak Old English now. Hmmm. How strange. Almost like language has changed and evolved over time. Crazy. What with these prescriptive rules that we must follow. You think it would stay the same.

The meeting when everyone agreed to do the Great Vowel Shift must have been a corker.
    So you are saying that basically the rules you are following were out of date a thousand years ago?

(This is a silly debate really, but it beats the B-word any day!)
    I am convinced that almost all the people who get huffy about people misusing apostrophes (myself included) would've been unutterably horrified about their introduction in place of missing letters, had they lived through it.
    Only lazy b'stards use apostrophes anyway though.
    They really are cnuts.
    But the tide will turn!!! :smiley:
    There's Nor way that will happen.
    It's not the Dane thing now, but neither beast Norman will stop it.
    If so, I predict it will be viewed as a Harald of the apocalypse.
    Show some Mercia for us poor readers.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Blimey, I can't imagine people trying to hide their poshness.

Many public-school boys deliberately speak in slang with an Estuary accent, even when they grow up, because “being posh these days is not a good thing”, according to the former headmaster of one of Britain’s top schools.

Luckily these days all they need to do is support Brexit and claim it's out of class solidarity with the lower orders.
    Fettes College old-boy and "estuary English" exponent has much to answer for...
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,287
    IanB2 said:

Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Yet we don't speak Old English now. Hmmm. How strange. Almost like language has changed and evolved over time. Crazy. What with these prescriptive rules that we must follow. You think it would stay the same.

The meeting when everyone agreed to do the Great Vowel Shift must have been a corker.
    So you are saying that basically the rules you are following were out of date a thousand years ago?

I am convinced that almost all the people who get huffy about people misusing apostrophes (myself included) would've been unutterably horrified about their introduction in place of missing letters, had they lived through it.
    They really are cnuts.
    I Kent.

Good night.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    IanB2 said:

Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

They really are cnuts.
    I must Confess, I'm Unready to do so.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

I'm saying, and hold onto your hat here, there are no rules.
    Dear heaven. You really are beyond redemption.

I bet you have extra pineapple on your pizza.
    No, pineapple on pizza is disgusting, do not be absurd.
    I don't drink tea but a friend of mine is dating someone who pours the milk in first then adds the tea bags.

My friend views this as a degeneracy worse than pineapple on pizza.
    I put milk in green tea.

I get funny looks in cafés when I ask for milk.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Many public-school boys deliberately speak in slang with an Estuary accent, even when they grow up, because “being posh these days is not a good thing”, according to the former headmaster of one of Britain’s top schools.

Luckily these days all they need to do is support Brexit and claim it's out of class solidarity with the lower orders.
    Works for those supporting far left policies!
    Call me old-fashioned but I find this sort of condescending pretending to be something you're not silly. And somewhat patronising. There is nothing wrong with being well-spoken. Too many people nowadays murder the English language - both when speaking and writing. A shame. It is such a beautiful rich language: both muscular and musical. Too many people are barely above the level of chimps these days in their communication skills.

One reason some people like(d) those like Boris or Rees-Mogg was the impression at least that they were comfortable in their poshness. I dare say that for plenty of others, however, that over time their other characteristics outweigh any such poshness.

And while you are totally right, there is the occasional reverse situation where those who are well spoken, even clearly intelligent, are afforded too much respect deserved of their actions, because of their intellect and ability to be well spoken.

It can be a joy to hear those who are genuinely well spoken or fine orators though - I witnessed an event recently where there was a great deal of anger from a large group in attendance, who would heckle those they opposed and cheer profusely those they supported, and there was one speaker who had a far more nuanced view, leaning toward opposition, but it still got some applause, as I'm not entirely convinced everyone noticed precisely what they were saying but were stirred by the fine delivery.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Works for those supporting far left policies!
    Call me old-fashioned but I find this sort of condescending pretending to be something you're not silly. And somewhat patronising. There is nothing wrong with being well-spoken. Too many people nowadays murder the English language - both when speaking and writing. A shame. It is such a beautiful rich language: both muscular and musical. Too many people are barely above the level of chimps these days in their communication skills.

‘Nuff respect. Big up Cyclefree homies.
    I can dig that.
  • Options
    Milk in first....for those who also drink wine from a box!
  • Options

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

I don't drink tea but a friend of mine is dating someone who pours the milk in first then adds the tea bags.

They can be redeemed given time, I am sure. I believe one's tea should be a reflection of one's self, which is why I take mine exclusively pale, weak but sweet.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Tea bags? Tea bags? (in a Lady Bracknell horrified voice)

Actually that’s just a class thing.

Back when tea was first introduced into this country rich people had porcelain cups while poor people had earthenware.

Porcelain is strong enough to withstand the heat of fresh tea, but if you pour tea into an earthware mug before the milk there’s a good chance it will crack from the sudden temperature change

Hence it became one of those subtle markers of class that the English love
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    Endillion said:

IanB2 said:

Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

They really are cnuts.
    I must Confess, I'm Unready to do so.
    That might be ill advised then.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    Charles said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Back when tea was first introduced into this country rich people had porcelain cups while poor people had earthenware.

Porcelain is strong enough to withstand the heat of fresh tea, but if you pour tea into an earthware mug before the milk there’s a good chance it will crack from the sudden temperature change

Ante-lactarianism also makes it harder to be accurate with the correct colouring of tea. I like my (Indian) tea rather strong and dark, with not too much milk. Milk therefore has to be added after in this house.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Just catching up with a BBC Series: Guitar, Drum and Bass that was on BBC4. Brilliant - especially the one on Bass, fronted by Tina Weymouth.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited January 2019
    Mortimer said:

Charles said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Ante-lactarianism also makes it harder to be accurate with the correct colouring of tea. I like my (Indian) tea rather strong and dark, with not too much milk. Milk therefore has to be added after in this house.
    I mix Ceylon OP with Assam Irish breakfast tea to get the gentle fragrance of the flowers with the Indian body.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,828
    Charles said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

If you pour hot tea into cold milk the milk warms up slower. If you pour cold milk into hot tea the milk warms up quickly. Some people claim the latter affects the milk (it denatures it?) and this makes the tea taste different.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Mortimer said:

Charles said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

I mix Ceylon OP with Assam Irish breakfast tea to get the gentle fragrance of the flowers with the Indian body.
    Still talking about tea, right?
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    viewcode said:

Charles said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

If you pour hot tea into cold milk the milk warms up slower. If you pour cold milk into hot tea the milk warms up quickly. Some people claim the latter affects the milk (it denatures it?) and this makes the tea taste different.
    Tea should be done in a pot and then poured into a cup with milk in
  • Options
    On topic: Sherrod Brown is now in to 17/1 on Betfair (odds effectively halved since publication of this thread). I'm not aware of any actual news as to his campaign, so I take it the market is moving at least in part (entirely?) due to this article.

I'm on him at around 60/1 based largely on a tip from another poster on this site.
  • Options

viewcode said:

Charles said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

I agree. However tea bags are easier and that requires milk-in-last. Of course you have to take care not to stew the tea by leaving the bag in too long. And then you have to get the bag from cup to bin without dripping. Life is complicated... :smile:
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    viewcode said:

I agree. However tea bags are easier and that requires milk-in-last.

No it doesn't
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Charles said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

I agree. However tea bags are easier and that requires milk-in-last. Of course you have to take care not to stew the tea by leaving the bag in too long. And then you have to get the bag from cup to bin without dripping. Life is complicated... :smile:
    Some people put the tea bag in the cup with the milk and then add the water! I pity them.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,857
    Putting the milk in first is as mad as Brexit.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

And yet there has to be some agreement as to grammar and word meaning at the point of conversation, otherwise conversations could not happen. The mutability of rules does not mean that they do not exist at a given moment.

• Options

Fettes College old-boy and "estuary English" exponent has much to answer for...
    Once he'd managed to get rid of the rough hewn brogue of West Stockbridge, anything was possible.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    I've heard that tea bags more or less saved the industry, for which I am grateful.

How one brews tea is personal. For myself I couldn't imagine starting the day ( at 5 am) without much Yorkshire tea, brewed loose in a pot for at least five minutes, with eyedropper amounts of milk added at the end. And no sugar.

And yes I make liberal play with chopped pineapple in my rather large fruit salads.

• Options

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Charles said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Some people put the tea bag in the cup with the milk and then add the water! I pity them.
    Ditto.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

viewcode said:

I agree. However tea bags are easier and that requires milk-in-last.

No it doesn't
    :neutral:
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    So they are not resigning for the votes on tuesday then as they threatened
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Yes, I'm sure either the ERG/Labour or the EU are just about to cave completely in order to enable May to get the deal through, so she can surely promise such a thing no problem.

Securing a deal is not, sadly, within her power. And why 2 weeks grace period?

But isn't the Cooper plan expected to pass anyway, making this all pretty moot? It kills of any hope of people agreeing the deal.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Scott_P said:
    They'll be back, and Corbyn knows it. They'd split the vote and let the Tories in?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    Yes, I'm sure either the ERG/Labour or the EU are just about to cave completely in order to enable May to get the deal through, so she can surely promise such a thing no problem.

But isn't the Cooper plan expected to pass anyway, making this all pretty moot? It kills of any hope of people agreeing the deal.
    Why
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Why does the main story require it to be about Boris saying that? It's been known for ages the backstop is a major stumbling block and that May has told the EU that (and they do not care) and wide speculation the government might try to pass the deal sans backstop to get it through. Was it not real before Boris mentioned it.

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Why
    Because why would people unwilling to compromise to pass the deal have any inclination to do so later, when they'll be granted months more time to cock about under that plan?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Nothing will pass.

We’re heading to No Deal. That’s been clear since December.

• Options

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Why
    I think the Cooper amendment instructs the PM to request an extension if a deal is not finalised. This enables Brexit to be delayed indefinitely by perpetual extension. So there's no incentive to actually get a deal. Happy to be contradicted if wrong.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    edited January 2019

Putting the milk in first is as mad as Brexit.

Putting milk into green tea or Darjeeling is bad regardless of whether it goes first or last.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Nothing will pass.

Most likely. Remain still has a shot, if they can get the first step of extensions.

Edit: The May plan A2.0 was one of the final signs I think that the government expects no deal, as it is doing something it itself said would not be possible, and has said that for months, so in essence is asking for unicorns and then intending to just go hard on the blame the EU talk.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Nothing will pass.

You can still get 11/4 on No Deal by end March in the high street shops, much more on the online ones.
  • Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019
    viewcode said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Why
    I think the Cooper amendment instructs the PM to request an extension if a deal is not finalised. This enables Brexit to be delayed indefinitely by perpetual extension. So there's no incentive to actually get a deal. Happy to be contradicted if wrong.
    Suggest you read Bogdanor in the Sunday Times today.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Nothing will pass.

Most likely. Remain still has a shot, if they can get the first step of extensions.

Edit: The May plan A2.0 was one of the final signs I think that the government expects no deal, as it is doing something it itself said would not be possible, and has said that for months, so in essence is asking for unicorns and then intending to just go hard on the blame the EU talk.
    “Blame the EU” can also be a strategy to provide cover for an extension.
  • Options
    Rentoul thinks the Cooper-Boles amendment will pass, 321-317.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/brexit-vote-commons-parliament-yvette-cooper-nick-boles-amendments-backstop-a8748131.html

He further suggests that taking No Deal off the table will get May’s deal through, 319-315. (In his calculations, he thinks only 7 ERGers will hold out, while 22 Labour MPs will vote for the deal in favour of a delay).
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    Why does the main story require it to be about Boris saying that? It's been known for ages the backstop is a major stumbling block and that May has told the EU that (and they do not care) and wide speculation the government might try to pass the deal sans backstop to get it through. Was it not real before Boris mentioned it.

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Why
    Because why would people unwilling to compromise to pass the deal have any inclination to do so later, when they'll be granted months more time to cock about under that plan?
    The Telegraph is Johnson's and ERG's mouthpiece and I simply ignore most of their musings

I listened to Yvette Cooper this morning when she said her amendment would give TM until the end of February to agree a deal failing which the HOC would discuss a pause and that at that time the length of pause would be debated and agreed by the House. The 31st December date is not done and dusted as there is a lot of pressure for a max 3 months to avoid having to send MEP's to the new EU Parliament

When asked, she could not confirm if Corbyn will back her amendment

And of course while all this goes on, no deal becomes ever closer and the EU have said they will not delay just to talk. The HOC must provide a proposition to put to the 27

TM deal is just that, so while there are problems ahead, to assume it's demise may be unwise
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    If you’re actually putting milk in tea I can’t see that the order matters much.
  • Options

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Why
    It's paywall. Care to precis?
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    edited January 2019

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Why
    I cannot access the Times, I rate Bogdanor pretty highly on Brexit. What did he say? Scrub that he says that MPs should bring down the Government.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited January 2019

He further suggests that taking No Deal off the table will get May’s deal through, 319-315.

This confuses me a bit - May's deal by definition ends the prospect of no-deal.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Nothing will pass.

What I want to know is what happens once it’s blamed the EU? How does that mitigate the effects of a No Deal?

• Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Nothing will pass.

“Blame the EU” can also be a strategy to provide cover for an extension.
    They're going to blame the EU anyway. Why do the heavy lifting when one can go off on the EU?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    viewcode said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

And yet there has to be some agreement as to grammar and word meaning at the point of conversation, otherwise conversations could not happen. The mutability of rules does not mean that they do not exist at a given moment.

It is indeed a conundrum. The only conclusion that we can reach is that those who propose perscriptive grammar are wrong.

This is for the simple reason that they cannot offer a logical explication as to how or why language changes over time without destroying their own argument in favor of perscriptive grammar
  • Options
    Andrew said:

He further suggests that taking No Deal off the table will get May’s deal through, 319-315.

This confuses me a bit - May's deal automatically takes no-deal off the table, that's nothing new.
    Because ERGers will be forced to vote for her Deal or risk a delay which could end Brexit completely.

If I was a ERG purist, I’m not sure I’d agree...
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Why
    It's paywall. Care to precis?
    He says that MPs should bring down the Government. I don't think they are likely to do that until something changes fundamentally....
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Nothing will pass.

What I want to know is what happens once it’s blamed the EU? How does that mitigate the effects of a No Deal?

I don't think the plan hasn't gotten any further than that, and hoping it is not as bad as their own predictions say it will be. Other than the blind hope that the various EU nations will also blame the EU, but that seems a very unlikely circumstance - people are people, and they will blame the other party, and naturally resent making further concessions, even if it would secure a good outcome (and even that is not assured should the EU grant this concession)

Rentoul thinks the Cooper-Boles amendment will pass, 321-317.

Depends on how many genuinely believe no deal Brexit must be avoided at all costs also are fooled/believe the false words of Cooper that it is not about stopping Brexit.

it's be better that than we no deal because people are still chasing unicorns.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Nothing will pass.

They don't care about mitigating the economic effects. They care about mitigating the political effects. If "failing and blaming" enables them to keep their seats, do you think they'll give a monkey's about:us?
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    New thread
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    See, this is what I'm talking about - we've got completely contradictory reports of May being able to revive the deal if she does X, or soft brexiters abandoning the deal if she does X, of the Labour leadership backing Cooper or not backing Cooper, threats of resignations unless there are free votes.

Someone, perhaps all of them, are peddling a lot of horsecrap at the moment, since they cannot all be close to achieving their aims.
This discussion has been closed.