Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The confidence vote betting: How the markets got it right from

12346»

Comments

• Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    Pulpstar said:

Yougov should poll on whether people would prefer herring, shellfish and mackerel over tuna, haddock and cod.
    The leave/remain split would be interesting.

I eat, and enjoy, them all so I'm whole, as if that matters
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311
    matt said:

TOPPING said:

So at the most simple level all of a sudden you have twice as much fish as you have demand for. No wonder Richard and Alan are celebrating. A consumer bonanza.

Not for long, though, because the fleets would soon be scrapped.
    Now youre just getting silly, the UK fishing fleet is hardly going to be demanding the CFP goes if it means suicide..
    I wouldn’t rely on the fishing industry for long term thinking. Given the choice of restricting catches for the long term or profit today, they’d destroy their future every time. Look at the Grand Banks.
    S'ok we're going to be throwing money at any sector which suffers in any way from our Brexit activities.
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    Toby Young making a very compelling argument for Jeremy Corbyn:

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,755
    TOPPING said:

matt said:

TOPPING said:

So at the most simple level all of a sudden you have twice as much fish as you have demand for. No wonder Richard and Alan are celebrating. A consumer bonanza.

Now youre just getting silly, the UK fishing fleet is hardly going to be demanding the CFP goes if it means suicide..
    I wouldn’t rely on the fishing industry for long term thinking. Given the choice of restricting catches for the long term or profit today, they’d destroy their future every time. Look at the Grand Banks.
    S'ok we're going to be throwing money at any sector which suffers in any way from our Brexit activities.
    and why not ? after all we threw it at the banks.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,454
    TOPPING said:

1. You and Richard (why on earth did he make a stand on fish - did he think eating them made him an expert?) have not succeeded in demonstrating that there would be more fish. As more than one poster has pointed out, a great deal of the fish in our food chain is imported, caught by EU fishermen, who would be displaced. The same fish by the way.

2. Had you succeeded, you'd have outlined an issue, requiring planning to mitigate. But you don't want to plan. You want to be defeated by the fish. You want to avoid this fish worse than death.
  • Options

Depends what you call a problem.

As Richard correctly points out talking about "fish" is meaningless. Some fish such as cod and mackerel we could happily catch ourselves in greater numbers and we would consume them. The fancier types of fish usually shell fish would have a problem, Either we suddeenly develop a taste for them, freeze them and find new markets or somebodys out of a job,

As ever on in Brext central people take the most extreme positions and argue it as the norm.

Eventually, yes, the market would adjust at some new level and mix of types of catch, but that adjustment can't be done quickly. Meanwhile a lot of fisherman and related operations would have gone bust.
    Now youre conjecturing Richard. Theres a world wide shortage of fish which is why prices are climbing. Really none of us know how fishing communities owuld react, Pretending we do is just silly.
    Many of them would go bust because they wouldn't have time to react. This really isn't complicated, we are talking about a cliff-edge disruption. If your business is dredging for scallops, and you sell three-quarters or more of your catch to EU customers, you can't switch overnight to fishing for cod and selling it to the UK market. And there's nothing the UK government can do to prepare for this problem.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
  • Options

TOPPING said:

It's about the markets, not just the CFP.
    yes its about markets and currently there isnt enough fish to satisfy world appetites.
  • Options
    XenonXenon Posts: 471

TOPPING said:

1. You and Richard (why on earth did he make a stand on fish - did he think eating them made him an expert?) have not succeeded in demonstrating that there would be more fish. As more than one poster has pointed out, a great deal of the fish in our food chain is imported, caught by EU fishermen, who would be displaced. The same fish by the way.

2. Had you succeeded, you'd have outlined an issue, requiring planning to mitigate. But you don't want to plan. You want to be defeated by the fish. You want to avoid this fish worse than death.
    They don't want to be prepared for no deal as they don't want to leave the EU, exactly like May in fact.
  • Options
    matt said:

H

TOPPING said:

Isn't it a matter of who gets to the fish first? If it's only you, you can afford not to rush.
  • Options

As Richard correctly points out talking about "fish" is meaningless. Some fish such as cod and mackerel we could happily catch ourselves in greater numbers and we would consume them. The fancier types of fish usually shell fish would have a problem, Either we suddeenly develop a taste for them, freeze them and find new markets or somebodys out of a job,

As ever on in Brext central people take the most extreme positions and argue it as the norm.

Eventually, yes, the market would adjust at some new level and mix of types of catch, but that adjustment can't be done quickly. Meanwhile a lot of fisherman and related operations would have gone bust.
    Now youre conjecturing Richard. Theres a world wide shortage of fish which is why prices are climbing. Really none of us know how fishing communities owuld react, Pretending we do is just silly.
    Many of them would go bust because they wouldn't have time to react. This really isn't complicated, we are talking about a cliff-edge disruption. If your business is dredging for scallops, and you sell three-quarters or more of your catch to EU customers, you can't switch overnight to fishing for cod and selling it to the UK market. And there's nothing the UK government can do to prepare for this problem.
    Well, there is one thing it can do.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,813
    edited December 2018
    You know what? Let Boris and his cheerleaders have Lincolnshire and Northamptonshire They can do a No Deal Brexit and show us how easy it all is. No commitment to a soft border either.
  • Options
    So the ERG-supporting Brexiters are encouraging product substitution. Lambrini for Prosecco, Fray Bentos for caviar and so on.

I can't say I'm impressed. Truly self-sufficient Leavers should be looking into foraging. I'm investigating rook pie. That kind of revival of old local traditions is surely the way forward.
  • Options
    We'll all eat crabsticks after Brexit.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

It is an example of a complicated issue (yes complicated, despite it being a fish and a net) that was impossible to make preparations for.

Your answer is that it will all be fine or Xenon says throw money at the problem and I'm sure that's fine. But in so saying you are actually agreeing with the proposition that no preparation was possible. And can you think of the same thing going on in every affected sector? Short of the lorry parks in Kent there is no sensible preparation that could or should have been made.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    It's interesting that only 50 Tory MPs admitted voting against May compared to 117 who actually did.
  • Options

You and Richard (why on earth did he make a stand on fish - did he think eating them made him an expert?) have not succeeded in demonstrating that there would be more fish. As more than one poster has pointed out, a great deal of the fish in our food chain is imported, caught by EU fishermen, who would be displaced. The same fish by the way.

LOL again! All you've demonstrated is that you can't be bothered to find out the most basic facts about the fishing industry and its markets. Here's a hint: no, it's not the same fish. Go and look it up, for heavens's sake!
  • Options
    edited December 2018

there;s lots a UK government could do. The problem is the crappy conserbatives from Osborne to May have done no down side planning, They really are totally useless.

As for scallops bring it on. Every frozen scallop I see in a supermarket is from overseas.
  • Options
    You know if May's deal passes, we'll be subjected to half a sodding decade of this sort of chat.

End me now.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

Putin claims no-one in the Russian government knows who she is... :lol:

Increasing look like NRA = National Russian Association.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

You know what? Let Boris and his cheerleaders have Lincolnshire and Northamptonshire They can do a No Deal Brexit and show us how easy it all is. No commitment to a soft border either.

Will there be a hard border?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

This fish debate is PB at its worst. YAWN

Tell us about the Aula croccante in carpione you had the other day.
  • Options

there;s lots a UK government could do. The problem is the crappy conserbatives from Osborne to May have done no down side planning, They really are totally useless.

As for scallops bring it on. Every fozen scallop I see in a supermarket is from overseas.
    I think a halibut would outdo you in an IQ test, or is it just when you are obsessing with your religion that you become so devoid of reason? Have you actually read what you have written? It is just so unbelievably stupid I can't recognise this as the same person who wrote a quite reasoned article the other day!
  • Options
    Donny43Donny43 Posts: 634
    Scott_P said:
    The BBC says:

Her case has no connection with the Mueller inquiry into allegations of Russian meddling in the 2016 election victory of President Donald Trump.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46558392
  • Options

So the ERG-supporting Brexiters are encouraging product substitution. Lambrini for Prosecco, Fray Bentos for caviar and so on.

I can't say I'm impressed. Truly self-sufficient Leavers should be looking into foraging. I'm investigating rook pie. That kind of revival of old local traditions is surely the way forward.

I wonder if this will sink in if I repeat it. It's the SAME FISH. Fished from the SAME WATERS.

I've loved hearing from Jolly Jack Tars Richard and Topping though. The stories they could tell from their trawling days...
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

It's interesting that only 50 Tory MPs admitted voting against May compared to 117 who actually did.

I am sure gove voted for her in the same way as jezza voted remain.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,617
    Just skating through the last 90 minutes of this thread - something to do with fish?

Meanwhile Farage is on the box yet again (BBC News)
  • Options
    edited December 2018

These day reataurants are all about provenance and local ingredients. Maybe you should skip KFC and try something new
  • Options

Do crabsticks contain crab?
  • Options
    Donny43 said:

Scott_P said:
    The BBC says:

Her case has no connection with the Mueller inquiry into allegations of Russian meddling in the 2016 election victory of President Donald Trump.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46558392
    ...yet
  • Options
    SeanT said:

It probably was somewhat mis-plaiced
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited December 2018
    I agree with @SeanT. Yawn.

Based on the 2016 figures, the whole industry is worth less than a billion quid a year. No Pentagon General would get out of bed for such a piddling figure.

I suggest we wrap Northern Ireland up in its warmest coat, leave it in a basket outside Leinster House with a label 'Please look after this country. Thank You'. Then we can use the annual subsidy to beach the fishing fleet for a decade and stop worrying about it until we have flying cars.
  • Options

As for scallops bring it on. Every fozen scallop I see in a supermarket is from overseas.
    I think a halibut would outdo you in an IQ test, or is it just when you are obsessing with your religion that you become so devoid of reason? Have you actually read what you have written? It is just so unbelievably stupid I can't recognise this as the same person who wrote a quite reasoned article the other day!
    I suspect dogfish is more to your tastes
  • Options

They do not.

Modern life is a lie.
  • Options
    Mr. Rentool, it's the battle for the nation's sole.
  • Options

No, but they probably contain a nice amount of PCBs
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626
    Oort said:

Nigelb said:

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

This meets the EU's objectives as well if not better than any other alternative. It gives May a chance of getting her deal through - and if would give the nation a chance to decide if it wanted to crash out of the EU without a deal.

Will the EU agree to an extension for a referendum that includes "No Deal" as an option?
    My preferred option is to have no deal as one of 3 choices available but if the EU won't grant an extension for it then that can only happen if the referendum happens soon.

I guess the EU might agree on the assumption if we did a 3 way there is only a small chance of it happening.
    @Nemtynakht proposed below a mechanism to present all three choices, which might be acceptable to the EU, by putting the question on the WA first.
    Negotiating with EU27 about which options should appear on the referendum ballot would be idiotic. They might as well allow every vote for Remain to count as half a vote. And it's unlikely that MPs will vote to give the electorate a chance to vote for a WA that they themselves will have labelled a complete crock. Sooner or later the attitude that "We know this is a steaming pile of dung but we're running with it because it's what the public wants" will have to, have to, surely, bite the dust. The government must put a clear programme to a vote in a referendum. If the clearest they've got is WTO, then use that...
    No deal is WTO (which is a shorthand which doesn't really mean anything in particular anyway, whereas no deal is whatever happens if we leave without a deal).

I wasn't suggesting negotiating with the EU. It is simply another attractive feature of Nemtynakht's proposal that it would probably be acceptable to the EU. The clearest program the government has is May's deal; this referendum proposal presents it to the electorate.

An element of reality has to be part of any proposals. The reality is (currently) May in government. If the government falls, it is quite unlikely that any replacement government would be in place to do anything but revoke A50 or crash out; renegotiation isn't going to happen before Match 29th even if the EU were prepared to renegotiate; there isn't going to be an A50 extension other than to facilitate the current WA.

If Corbyn is prepared to VONC May, then the options change (not necessarily for the better), but for now I'm suggesting something May, the EU, and a large percentage of the electorate (and hopefully Parliament) could live with. it's not a perfect option by any stretch, but it is at least realistic.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,951

SeanT said:

I think we can do batter.
  • Options
    John_M said:

Based on the 2016 figures, the whole industry is worth less than a billion quid a year. No Pentagon General would get out of bed for such a piddling figure.

I suggest we wrap Northern Ireland up in its warmest coat, leave in a basket outside Leinster House with a label 'Please look after this country. Thank You'. Then we can use the annual subsidy to beach the fishing fleet for a decade and stop worrying about it until we have flying cars.

It was an example, which I mistakenly thought would be simple enough for even the dimmest to understand. My mistake, apologies. It turned out not to be simple enough.
  • Options

Pro_Rata said:

30ft high and made of pure Stilton and pork pie.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Oort said:

Roger said:

Pulpstar said:

Roger said:

OT. If you're reasonably well travelled and you landed from Mars you'd expect in a major European city to have a reasonable idea where you were within 5 or 10 minutes of wandering around.

The architecture the ambience the colour of the paint the language the look of the people the shops etc.

I arrived somewhere this morning and if it wasn't that I knew where I was I couldn't have guessed. A lot of English was spoken. There was a local dialect that I'd never heard before. The architecture was new to me and the currency was the euro. There was a local look which was slightly Turkish. Low hairlines and deep black hair..

Malta ?
    Bravo! The European city of Culture Valletta.

What an unusual place. They even drive on the left.
    And the language is a form of Arabic heavily influenced by Romance, whereas Spanish is the other way round.
    Mutually intelligble with Tunisian Arabic, which is pretty interesting.

The Hal Saflieni hypogeum is not to be missed. Quite the most remarkable place I’ve ever visited.
  • Options

Just skating through the last 90 minutes of this thread - something to do with fish?

Meanwhile Farage is on the box yet again (BBC News)

Close but no coconut
  • Options

You and Richard (why on earth did he make a stand on fish - did he think eating them made him an expert?) have not succeeded in demonstrating that there would be more fish. As more than one poster has pointed out, a great deal of the fish in our food chain is imported, caught by EU fishermen, who would be displaced. The same fish by the way.

LOL again! All you've demonstrated is that you can't be bothered to find out the most basic facts about the fishing industry and its markets. Here's a hint: no, it's not the same fish. Go and look it up, for heavens's sake!
    Yes, LOLing again. You seem to do that a lot when struggling for an argument. Some would call it inarticulate, but I think it's good to acknowledge when trying something more fact based has not worked out.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

SeanT said:

Political betting should be squids in.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Pro_Rata said:

Pro_Rata said:

30ft high and made of pure Stilton and pork pie.
    It should be 50ft high and made of bowler hats.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    kle4 said:

Leo Varadkar makes a direct appeal to Parliament to bypass Mrs May and revoke Article 50

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1073237337713373184

I don't mind external politicians opining about matters which, after all, do also affect them (so long as they do not get uppity about the reverse), but if he is to make such an intervention I hope he has done his research and is correct that it is within the gift of Parliament, otherwise it would be just like any random person demanding a foreign country do something with no idea of how their legal processes work.
    It’s unacceptable that he tell parliament to do anything never mind ignore the referendum. The guy is an idiot posturing on the backstop for internal political purposes.
  • Options

They do not.

Modern life is a lie.
    It's what you believe what counts
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626

You know if May's deal passes, we'll be subjected to half a sodding decade of this sort of chat.

End me now.

If we no deal, the discussions wouldn't go away; they'd just be even less comfortable for a lot of people. If we end up remaining, they'll be at least an electoral cycle's worth of recriminations.
  • Options
    John_M said:

I suggest we wrap Northern Ireland up in its warmest coat, leave in a basket outside Leinster House with a label 'Please look after this country. Thank You'. Then we can use the annual subsidy to beach the fishing fleet for a decade and stop worrying about it until we have flying cars.

The sort of compassionate approach I associate with the average die-hard leaver. Fuck business eh? Fuck everyone that doesn't want to be cleansed by your idea of Utopia.
  • Options
    Donny43Donny43 Posts: 634
    kyf_100 said:

SeanT said:

Oh, cod, here we go...
  • Options

Mr. Rentool, it's the battle for the nation's sole.

I thought they only really skate-d over the issue
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311

kyf_100 said:

SeanT said:

I really hake it. Thank Cod it’s seems to be over. Don’t tell lucky guy - eel be livid
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Pulpstar said:

Yougov should poll on whether people would prefer herring, shellfish and mackerel over tuna, haddock and cod.
    The leave/remain split would be interesting.

I eat, and enjoy, them all so I'm whole, as if that matters
    Not so keen on herring but otherwise I'd scoff the lot. As long as someone was cooking and shelling the shellfish for me as otherwise its just too much of a hassle.
  • Options
    Completely off topic, just been at Winchester's Christmas Market, which is really very good.

Went to a local (quite posh) pub and all the discussions around us were randomly about Brexit - and all very anti-Brexit, even amongst the older clientele, which I found surprising until I discovered Winchester is apparently one of the highest remain voting areas in the UK.

Definitely not my expectation.... thought it would be more akin to "disgusted from Tunbridge Wells" :)
  • Options
    Perhaps the terrible puns will fin-ish the debate
  • Options

Completely off topic, just been at Winchester's Christmas Market, which is really very good.

Went to a local (quite posh) pub and all the discussions around us were randomly about Brexit - and all very anti-Brexit, even amongst the older clientele, which I found surprising until I discovered Winchester is apparently one of the highest remain voting areas in the UK.

Definitely not my expectation.... thought it would be more akin to "disgusted from Tunbridge Wells" :)

Tunbridge Wells voted Remain by about 55% to 45%.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Although cod is a pretty dull fish.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,951

You might say the debate has... had its chips.

(Sorry. I'll stop now.)
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

It is. Got some good stuff there at the weekend.

Also noticed a really nice local shop has closed after 35 years.

Amazon et al really are killing the High Street
  • Options
    She has become an unperson.
  • Options

The city centre of Winchester is as Lib Dem as it gets. It’s only the rural wards that keeps the council and seat Tory.
  • Options
    Stephen Bush:

"and the prospects for avoiding a no-deal exit now rest solely on the shoulders of a politician who feels almost laboratory-designed to be ill-suited to that task."
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    edited December 2018
    Fish matter a great deal to us, don't they. Not so much the admirable creatures themselves but the catching and selling thereof. It's not much of an industry sector, hairdressing and fashion are bigger, but there's just something about fishing. I guess because we're an island. The notion of rugged native born men in chunky garb battling the elements to bring home the catch, it appeals to our national sense of self in a way that intensive personal grooming simply does not. Was this, the desire to take back our own fish, a significant driver of the Leave vote? I think it might well have been. If so, what on earth does that say about Remain voters?
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

SeanT said:

I really hake it. Thank Cod it’s seems to be over. Don’t tell lucky guy - eel be livid
    On the contrary, I'm delighted. Put me off ordering fish tonight, that's for sure.

To summarise the rather bizarre turn things have taken, Richard and Topping would not make any preparations for the possibility of No deal, because it's just too too awful. And if you don't believe them, think of the fish and stuff. And if that doesn't convince you, be prepared to be LOLed at.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

You might say the debate has... had its chips.

(Sorry. I'll stop now.)
    no-one has mentioned the views of Nicola Sturgeon or Alex Salmon-d
  • Options

I love scallops. I will eat them

Also restaurants will buy British fished scallops instead of importing them from France, where French fishermen have caught them in British waters.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Fish matter a great deal to us, don't they. Not so much the admirable creatures themselves but the catching and selling thereof. It's not much of an industry sector, hairdressing and fashion are bigger, but there's just something about fishing. I guess because we're an island. The notion of rugged native born men in chunky garb battling the elements to bring home the catch, it appeals to our national sense of self in a way that intensive personal grooming simply does not. Was this, the desire to take back our own fish, a significant driver of the Leave vote? I think it might well have been. And if so, what on earth does that say about remain voters?

I've never seen a giant herioc sovietic style statue dedicated to the Senior Stylist, that's for sure.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    New Fred.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

She has become an unperson.
    He does love to troll doesn't he? "Brexit? No, we didn't try and influence it at all"
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    @ Pro Rata

:-)

Indeed not.

And if Farage and ilk even once mentioned them (hairdressers) during the referendum campaign then I must have missed it.

But we are nevertheless a nation of crimpers.
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

SeanT said:

On the contrary, I'm delighted. Put me off ordering fish tonight, that's for sure.

To summarise the rather bizarre turn things have taken, Richard and Topping would not make any preparations for the possibility of No deal, because it's just too too awful. And if you don't believe them, think of the fish and stuff. And if that doesn't convince you, be prepared to be LOLed at.
    Nope. Fuck the fish it was a simple example for someone simple. My point was that the government neither could nor would make preparations for a no deal as they identified it early on as undesirable. And if you look at the preparations the government have made you will see the acuity of this observation.

For all your shoulda woulda coulda the facts are that apart from contingency plans there have been no no deal preparations.

Not while Davis was Brexit sec not while Raab was so even they agreed.

It's only you and your fellow dreamers who disagree.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

AndyJS said:

I am sure gove voted for her in the same way as jezza voted remain.
    I'd be interested to see anyone's attempt at a list of the 117. There must be someone out there who's having a go at it.
This discussion has been closed.