Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The confidence vote betting: How the markets got it right from

Comments

• Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    Varadkar is trying to convince Sinn Fein to take their seats in Westminster to break the DUP's stranglehold on May:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1058069/Brexit-news-UK-EU-Theresa-May-no-confidence-vote-Leo-Varadkar-Ireland-latest
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    I think it will depend on May’s ultimate preference between a no deal brexit or a revocation of A50.

Her deal is dead, she is not the type of politician that could convince Labour to vote for the deal, she is stubborn and will not realise her deal is truly dead and that she needed to compromise with parliament until it’s too late. So late January the likely options are no deal or remain (via parliament not by ref as there is no time for that without an extension to A50 which needs to be approved by all EU states, whereas revocation does not)

I think May will prefer no deal to remain, so our only real chance of avoiding it is if Corbyn can manage to get an election (unlikely for sure but not by any means impossible).
  • Options
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

A combination of the EU Withdrawal Act, a disapplication of Standing Order 24B (Section 13 of the EWWA), and the Grieve amendment.

Now, anything parliament decided upon might not be legally binding but, as the Institute for Government says, they would be "politically significant".

"Not legally binding."
    IanB2 said:

As per my post below May intends to arrive at a vote on her deal at the last possible moment and trust that MPs will vote it through to save the country from no deal.

I don't see how brinkmanship ends up in anything other than not getting her way. Either the deal is continually voted down, or the Government vote splits (with half the Tories voting with Labour for the deal, and the other half plus the DUP voting against,) and then both the Conservative Party and the Government collapse and complete chaos reigns - presumably with a successful vote of no confidence thrown into the mix. May's deal almost certainly wouldn't survive such a conflagration and it is possible that the country would both lose the ability and run out of the time needed to come up with any sort of solution at all.

Yes - not legally binding but think who is "the government" - Theresa May: and we know what she thinks of a no deal. She isn't going to allow one.

What are the pathetic arsehole moron ERG-ers going to do when she either calls a referendum or extends A50? Have a vote of no confidence in her?
    She'd have to have a very good reason to extend A50 - either a referendum or a GE. She can't just casually press the Pause button, the EU have already made that clear.

Or of course she could go nuclear and Revoke, but I don't think the Maybot is that mad.
    May is not (yet) that desperate, but in terms of time and sheer panic we might not be far off.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Alistair said:

Somewhere in America a Republican politician is going "Of course, why didn't I think of that"

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1073230176815906817?s=19

I dare say it's already happened in NJ or RI history. In Rhode Island, to get a mortgage, you have to sign a declaration that you've never been indicted for arson.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

TOPPING said:

Sean_F said:

Many things are provoking. Civilised people only resort to violence in self-defence.

Or defence of your political ideals. I mean there is a bit of precedent there, you know.
    What about punching nazis?

I mean, you gotta punch nazis.
    The people who are eager to punch Nazis tend to be Communist anti-semites, who hate Nazi anti-semites.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

A combination of the EU Withdrawal Act, a disapplication of Standing Order 24B (Section 13 of the EWWA), and the Grieve amendment.

Now, anything parliament decided upon might not be legally binding but, as the Institute for Government says, they would be "politically significant".

"Not legally binding."
    IanB2 said:

As per my post below May intends to arrive at a vote on her deal at the last possible moment and trust that MPs will vote it through to save the country from no deal.

I don't see how brinkmanship ends up in anything other than not getting her way. Either the deal is continually voted down, or the Government vote splits (with half the Tories voting with Labour for the deal, and the other half plus the DUP voting against,) and then both the Conservative Party and the Government collapse and complete chaos reigns - presumably with a successful vote of no confidence thrown into the mix. May's deal almost certainly wouldn't survive such a conflagration and it is possible that the country would both lose the ability and run out of the time needed to come up with any sort of solution at all.

Yes - not legally binding but think who is "the government" - Theresa May: and we know what she thinks of a no deal. She isn't going to allow one.

What are the pathetic arsehole moron ERG-ers going to do when she either calls a referendum or extends A50? Have a vote of no confidence in her?
    She doesn't want to allow one. But she doesn't have the political clout to cancel Brexit. Nobody does. There isn't a scare story, meme, report, war, big enough. It was done when the result came in.
    Come 21st Jan she can decide not to have a deal. Parliament can say it doesn't want one but she, the government, can then make the call.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

TOPPING said:

Sean_F said:

Many things are provoking. Civilised people only resort to violence in self-defence.

Or defence of your political ideals. I mean there is a bit of precedent there, you know.

The people who are eager to punch Nazis tend to be Communist anti-semites, who hate Nazi anti-semites.
    I've never actually had the opportunity to punch a real life Nazi, and that's a shame.

Just imagine the simple purity of a clenched fist, as it smashes into the face of an EDL fuckwit. Joyous.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626
    SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

TOPPING said:

Sean_F said:

Interesting moral dilemma: Imagine if in 1941 Britain and America were invaded by aliens, and Nazis offered to help. We'd have to ally with Hitler.
    Hitler would likely see them as the superior race, so probably would ally with them.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

TOPPING said:

Sean_F said:

Interesting moral dilemma: Imagine if in 1941 Britain and America were invaded by aliens, and Nazis offered to help. We'd have to ally with Hitler.
    Yes, when an alliance must be formed it must be formed. Working with mad despot Jo in WW2 was the proof of the pudding for that one.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

TOPPING said:

Sean_F said:

Hitler would likely see them as the superior race, so probably would ally with them.
    "Mein fuehrer, can we be certain that they aren't jews?"
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,952

kyf_100 said:

My suspicion is that Labour leave voting seats would be more vulnerable to a Nu-KIP of the Tommeh Tommeh variety. For all Corbyn's fence-sitting, if his own MPs vote to revoke Article 50 he's been de-fence-estrated, so to speak, and can no longer sit it out.

My guess, based on the polling we saw earlier this week that 24% would feel "betrayed" if we remained (38% when you add "angry" and "disappointed" into the mix) would give a diamond-hard-brexit alliance of MPs (Whether UKIP or others) around 20-30 seats in the commons. Making governing without them very hard, shy of a Labour or Conservative landslide, which seems very unlikely to happen in present circumstances.

So MPs voting to revoke article 50 and remain would find themselves in a situation after the next GE where they couldn't govern without the support of a diamond hard brexit party, else entering into a government of national unity of Con and Lab remainers. And if that ain't an establishment stitch-up, what is?

Unless the betrayed leavers came heavily from Labour but very few from the Conservatives then it would harm the Conservatives far more and cause them losses. In the type of heavily leave voting seats you have Conservatives in some places with Labour not far behind them.

Might be wrong but I am sure I remember polling indicating Brexit was more important to Conservative leavers than Labour leavers. It makes sense considering the Conservative campaign was all about Brexit.

More likely than a right brexit party taking most of the leave vote in an area is it taking a portion of it with the Conservatives being the biggest supply of them.

Similarly even with some of the very leave seats Labours vote is made up mostly of remainers, if the Conservatives couldn't take over them then taking a portion of the Conservatives vote wouldn't bring either party closer to victory.

There are very few Labour seats where Labour leave voters are a high percentage. Most of those that voted leave in Labour areas already vote for different parties.
    It's all speculation - we don't yet know who would lead a Nu-KIP party or what they would stand for. But that 24% who would feel "betrayed" have to go somewhere.

My question is simple, if we end up in a situation where neither Con nor Lab can command a majority in Parliament without the support of such a grouping, what happens then?

In my view, that's the most likely outcome of a vote by this Parliament to revoke Art 50 - Nobody being able to govern without the support of a diamond hard Brexit bloc after the next GE. In my view, this is more likely than "it will be OK, the Conservatives will suffer worse and we will end up with a Labour government who are able to ignore the view of this significant minority".
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited December 2018
    Nigelb said:

I’ve come up with a way for May to achieve what she wants with all options on the ballot paper for a second referendum

Q1. Do you support the deal agreed by PM Yes / No
    Q2. If the deal is not supported would you prefer to a) Remain in EU b) Leave with No Deal

This would allow people to express leave or remain, but with the jeopardy that if they don’t support the deal then the opposite of what they want could happen

She'd need an A50 extension for that, and as long as "no deal" was on there, the Council would categorically refuse.
    Not necessarily - after all, without such a referendum, ‘no deal’ is rather likely anyway.

They key is that the first vote would be on approval of the agreed WA terms - and if that’s rejected, it’s already a choice between remain and no deal. At least the public could then make the decision rather than it happening, as now, by default.

My suggestion is we simply impose on Parliament the same conditions used during the latter stages of the election of Gregory X in 1271, such conditions to persist until they decide what we're doing.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,458

How long is this 'crashing out' construct going to last? How can you 'crash out' with months or potentially more to go? Contrary to what many remainers appear to think, people are not stupid. There is no such thing as a scheduled crash out. The idea is an utter absurdity, and this fact won't be lost long on anyone. Need more customs officers? Get them. Need to bulk buy Mars bars? Do it. Need to prepare the NHS? Do it. Need 6 months to do all this? Get the six months.

It took the UK seven years to fully integrate into the common market.
    Perhaps, but there was no 'crash in'. Let the long term be the long term. For now, let's just deal with the 'economic and societal collapse' that one excitable poster was anticipating earlier, and deal with each item. Surely this is just common sense?

A question to those like @Cyclefree who are terrified of No deal. Considering it is a real possibility, should HMG start serious and strenuous preparation for it now?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

"Not legally binding."
    IanB2 said:

She'd have to have a very good reason to extend A50 - either a referendum or a GE. She can't just casually press the Pause button, the EU have already made that clear.

Or of course she could go nuclear and Revoke, but I don't think the Maybot is that mad.
    Yes agree or what's the point. But by Jan 21st the government needs to have made a decision. Parliament can then suggest advisory amendments. But it is the government that makes the call. If, come Jan 21st, there remains deadlock, she can extend A50 and then I presume call a referendum. Options would be my deal or remain. As mentioned, there cannot be no deal on the ballot paper.

"My deal" is leaving. Remain is, er, remaining and if or when the ERG says My Deal is not leaving she can tell them to get to Falkirk for another nine months.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

e.g. I'd happily man the machine gun that mowed down every British member of ISIS.

That too. It seems we agree, of course there's a place for violence in politics. Otherwise we wouldn't have invented war.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

TOPPING said:

Sean_F said:

Harry Turtledove covered that in his "WorldWar" series.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

How long is this 'crashing out' construct going to last? How can you 'crash out' with months or potentially more to go? Contrary to what many remainers appear to think, people are not stupid. There is no such thing as a scheduled crash out. The idea is an utter absurdity, and this fact won't be lost long on anyone. Need more customs officers? Get them. Need to bulk buy Mars bars? Do it. Need to prepare the NHS? Do it. Need 6 months to do all this? Get the six months.

Perhaps, but there was no 'crash in'. Let the long term be the long term. For now, let's just deal with the 'economic and societal collapse' that one excitable poster was anticipating earlier, and deal with each item. Surely this is just common sense?

A question to those like @Cyclefree who are terrified of No deal. Considering it is a real possibility, should HMG start serious and strenuous preparation for it now?
    No and no to the preparation of it two years ago. No deal will not happen. And preparations would not be tolerated by the public. Imagine the admission of failure if the govt said it had failed to get a deal, having said that they would be able to get one for the past two years.

A VONC by Lab would have a real chance of success and with some justification.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626
    John_M said:

Nigelb said:

I’ve come up with a way for May to achieve what she wants with all options on the ballot paper for a second referendum

Q1. Do you support the deal agreed by PM Yes / No
    Q2. If the deal is not supported would you prefer to a) Remain in EU b) Leave with No Deal

This would allow people to express leave or remain, but with the jeopardy that if they don’t support the deal then the opposite of what they want could happen

She'd need an A50 extension for that, and as long as "no deal" was on there, the Council would categorically refuse.
    Not necessarily - after all, without such a referendum, ‘no deal’ is rather likely anyway.

They key is that the first vote would be on approval of the agreed WA terms - and if that’s rejected, it’s already a choice between remain and no deal. At least the public could then make the decision rather than it happening, as now, by default.

My suggestion is we simply impose on Parliament the same conditions used during the latter stages of the election of Gregory X in 1271, such conditions to persist until they decide what we're doing.
    "we simply impose" is what is know as question begging.
    Only Parliament can impose such conditions on itself.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

TOPPING said:

Sean_F said:

Yes, when an alliance must be formed it must be formed. Working with mad despot Jo in WW2 was the proof of the pudding for that one.
    And Uncle Joe really was mad as a box of frogs, but at the same time, very intelligent.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

SeanT said:

kyf_100 said:

SeanT said:

The whole point of my proposal is that it makes MPs take personal responsibility, which they say they want. Each one would have to examine his or her conscience (and no doubt the votes in her constituency) and decide what is the right moral choice for the country. And if they decide to go for an option their constituents detest, then they will have to suffer the consequences in the next election.

That's the point. It means every MP will have to stand up and say what they believe (especially Labour MPs, who are hiding behind their leader's waffling ambiguities).

A grand debate and a final vote, in the Commons, Do it.
    My guess is that most would want to vote remain, but know they'll lose anywhere between 25-50% of their vote if they do (at best), end up only able to govern in coalition with a UKIP style party that gets 20-30 seats next time round (leading us back to square one) or unleash a Tommeh Tommeh Robinson style far right (at worst).

And that is the problem. The electorate has said "do this" twice - once in the referendum of 2016 and again in the GE of 2017. For them to go away and say we won't do this, having been instructed to repeatedly, is in itself a constitutional crisis. Aside from the fact they would be explicitly refusing the stated wishes of the electorate, the final outcome would likely be enough no-deal diamond-hard Brexiteers in Parliament at the next election to put us right back where we are now. But not enough of them to force no deal on the rest of us.
    If both Labour and Conservative MPs lose 25-50% of their leave voters then most Labour MPs

My guess, based on the polling we saw earlier this week that 24% would feel "betrayed" if we remained (38% when you add "angry" and "disappointed" into the mix) would give a diamond-hard-brexit alliance of MPs (Whether UKIP or others) around 20-30 seats in the commons. Making governing without them very hard, shy of a Labour or Conservative landslide, which seems very unlikely to happen in present circumstances.

So MPs voting to revoke article 50 and remain would find themselves in a situation after the next GE where they couldn't govern without the support of a diamond hard brexit party, else entering into a government of national unity of Con and Lab remainers. And if that ain't an establishment stitch-up, what is?
    Disagree with that. Brexit does not appear to be a very salient issue for Labour voters. Other issues would easily override it - whether they voted Leave or Remain.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    edited December 2018

SeanT said:

Nemtyknakht's proposal is cleverer and more elegant, and more acceptable to more people.

I fundamentally disagree with that: by asking about the deal first, you near-guarantee its defeat and unnecessarily heighten the stakes on question 2. Even though Deal could probably beat either of the other options head-to-head.
    On the other hand if Remain still wins through Leavers can't really feel hard done by which they would do if it was a choice between the WA as currently drafted and Remain which is what the Times was advocating today
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

No and no to the preparation of it two years ago. No deal will not happen. And preparations would not be tolerated by the public. Imagine the admission of failure if the govt admitted it had failed to get a deal, having said that they would be able to get one for the past two years.

Apparently the Tories have failed to get us the "easiest deal ever". Quite an achievement.

• Options
    SeanT said:

Nigelb said:

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

TOPPING said:

Sean_F said:

"Mein fuehrer, can we be certain that they aren't jews?"
    "I am Minga the Merciless, Lady of Neptune, come to kill you all. Did I mention my son is a doctor?"
    OK that is a LOL from me.
  • Options
    Leo Varadkar makes a direct appeal to Parliament to bypass Mrs May and revoke Article 50

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1073237337713373184
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    TOPPING said:

The European Council probably won't grant an extension unless it's to settle the issue of leaving with her deal or not leaving at all. If the referendum is Remain versus Deal then even if the Conservative Party itself doesn't split at once the DUP will trigger the fall of the Government.

That's the end of her Ministry, the devastation of her party, and the likelihood that the deal goes down the pan anyway. Complete Parliamentary chaos that would be more likely to end in either Remain or No Deal by accident than with her agreement passing, and with the strong likelihood of a majority socialist Government post the General Election that would inevitably follow. After all, to get as far as having a referendum you need a Parliamentary majority, control of the Government, and enough time both to amend or repeal all the Brexit legislation and to pass new bills - whether they be to write the Withdrawal Agreement into law without qualification, or to do so subject to ratification by referendum. Unless, of course, the Parliamentary majority simply opts to stay in without a vote, in which case at least the new legislation can be dispensed with.

If the deal is finally, definitively voted down in January, as we all expect, then Theresa May sitting in Downing St and allowing the clock to run down is not likely to amount to a successful strategy. Either there's a schism on both sides of the House, to allow the pro-EU MPs to club together and defeat this thing with some hope of electoral survival afterwards, or there is total paralysis and No Deal by default.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,283
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Alternatively, instead of the 2nd question you could then enact my proposal: a free vote in parliament on all the options, with the knowledge that if they reject them all, the default is No Deal.

That's absurd, because we already know there's currently no majority for any option.

But I do think the papal conclave method is viable. Parliament keeps voting on all options, endlessly, until one gets a majority.
    That's exactly what I am proposing.
    https://twitter.com/theobertram/status/1073212030193147904
    Nemtyknakht's proposal is cleverer and more elegant, and more acceptable to more people.
    No it isn't, it drives people to the extremes.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251

Leo Varadkar makes a direct appeal to Parliament to bypass Mrs May and revoke Article 50

Fuck off.
  • Options
    Norm said:

Fuck off.
    no u
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    edited December 2018
    kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Unless the betrayed leavers came heavily from Labour but very few from the Conservatives then it would harm the Conservatives far more and cause them losses. In the type of heavily leave voting seats you have Conservatives in some places with Labour not far behind them.

Might be wrong but I am sure I remember polling indicating Brexit was more important to Conservative leavers than Labour leavers. It makes sense considering the Conservative campaign was all about Brexit.

More likely than a right brexit party taking most of the leave vote in an area is it taking a portion of it with the Conservatives being the biggest supply of them.

Similarly even with some of the very leave seats Labours vote is made up mostly of remainers, if the Conservatives couldn't take over them then taking a portion of the Conservatives vote wouldn't bring either party closer to victory.

There are very few Labour seats where Labour leave voters are a high percentage. Most of those that voted leave in Labour areas already vote for different parties.
    It's all speculation - we don't yet know who would lead a Nu-KIP party or what they would stand for. But that 24% who would feel "betrayed" have to go somewhere.

My question is simple, if we end up in a situation where neither Con nor Lab can command a majority in Parliament without the support of such a grouping, what happens then?

In my view, that's the most likely outcome of a vote by this Parliament to revoke Art 50 - Nobody being able to govern without the support of a diamond hard Brexit bloc after the next GE. In my view, this is more likely than "it will be OK, the Conservatives will suffer worse and we will end up with a Labour government who are able to ignore the view of this significant minority".
    It just doesn't seem realistic when you consider Leave voters are mostly Conservative voters.

If everyone who wouldn't mind privatising the NHS stopped voting for either Labour or Conservative I'm sure Labour would lose a few voters but it would damage the Conservatives more because they have more voters with that view.

It would only really be damaging for Labour if many remainers also joined the Brexit betrayal party. Which doesn't make sense or for some reason (which also wouldn't make sense) Labour leave voters exclusively went to this new party... but that wouldn't then win any seats, which you said the party would.

I just can't see Labour remainers voting for a Brexit betrayal party as the most likely option, anything else likely in terms of leave voters switching surely leads to Labour benefit from the Conservatives losing.
  • Options
    Donny43Donny43 Posts: 634

****(4)A Minister of the Crown may by regulations—
    (a)amend the definition of “exit day” in subsection (1) to ensure that the day and time specified in the definition are the day and time that the Treaties are to cease to apply to the United Kingdom,****

That would appear on the face of it to apply only if an A50 extension were agreed.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Leo is a Poundshop Gerry Adams.

• Options
    TOPPING said:

No and no to the preparation of it two years ago. No deal will not happen. And preparations would not be tolerated by the public. Imagine the admission of failure if the govt admitted it had failed to get a deal, having said that they would be able to get one for the past two years.

To scream about how scary a possibility is, and in the next sentence endorse a refusal to prepare for it, is an utterly insupportable position. Which is, I suppose, why you don't support it, except to say that it would be politically difficult. Of course, this is nonsense. It would be seen as eminently sensible, and would hae strengthened our negotiating position.

The only rationale behind your position is that No deal cannot be prepared for because it must remain the bogeyman which will be used to scare people into remaining, and a prepared for bogeyman is not scary. I wonder how many of your fellow travellers subscribe to this.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Norm said:

Fuck off.
    What a gimp, not sure how Ireland can be taken seirously
  • Options
    One option has been removed, but we are still stuck - to move somewhere we need the unreconciled Remainer bloc in the Commons to either vote to overturn the referendum result or to accept that they can't. Once one of those happens, the path forward is clear.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071

To scream about how scary a possibility is, and in the next sentence endorse a refusal to prepare for it, is an utterly insupportable position.

It's a scary possibility that Theresa May could go mad and order a nuclear attack on France. Does that mean we should prepare for it?
  • Options
    Brom said:

Norm said:

Fuck off.
    Only saying what John Major said earlier.

Is he also a gimp?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,980
    Roger said:

I'm not sure what the pundits are saying but my sense is that this will prove a more significant win for May than the numbers suggest.

She's now there for a year whatever anyone might wish which means she can largely ignore the ERGs and more importantly her regard amongst the public has increased enormously.

Nothing painted a more telling picture than the juxtaposition of Mrs May touring Europe trying her best to get a deal and the bitter figure of Rees Mogg sulking that he couldn't get his own way and she wouldn't resign.

No one likes to see a bully and watching a man beat up a woman is particularly repulsive. i don't know whether there have been polls out but I doubt her popularity has ever been higher

It was in the toilet so no surprise there
  • Options

To scream about how scary a possibility is, and in the next sentence endorse a refusal to prepare for it, is an utterly insupportable position.

It's a scary possibility that Theresa May could go mad and order a nuclear attack on France. Does that mean we should prepare for it?
    That's scary, but not a possibility.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    On the proposed two-question referendum (Q1 Remain/Leave, Q2 Deal/No Deal), would everyone's answers on Q2 be taken into account, or would it only be people who voted Leave on Q1?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

SeanT said:

kinabalu said:

So the evidence is that (by miles) most people (i) hate the deal and (ii) think that no other PM could have got a better one. This is quite an interesting mindset. Put that together, divide both sides by a constant, integrate and then differentiate back up to where we came from and what do we get? That the vast majority of people hate the prospect of leaving the EU. And yet it is certainly NOT the case that the vast majority wish to remain in it. I wonder how we reconcile this. Is it possible for a person to both dread the prospect of doing something and yet be determined to do it? Well of course it is. Just think about Christmas. Yes, that is a very good example, come to think of it. So is that what Brexit is going to be like? Will leaving the European Union be like Christmas?

So her solution has to be a new referendum, BUT excluding Remain from the ballot paper, i.e. between My Deal or No Deal.

My Deal - TMay's Deal - would win by a mile. Personally I'd rather Remain than endure her awful deal, but the public disagrees with me, and the EU is not going to offer any more.

Once she has secured a result in a referendum, parliament will just have to accept it.
    I repeat, because some people are not understanding the choices:

- The deal
    - No Brexit
    - No deal, managed or otherwise

There is neither time nor will for another referendum, nor is there time nor will for another negotiation.

We have a decent deal; Remainer and Leaver wreckers need to hold their noses and vote for it.
    Cuckoo
  • Options

Brom said:

Norm said:

Fuck off.

Is he also a gimp?
    Did you miss his premiership ?

• Options

TOPPING said:

The European Council probably won't grant an extension unless it's to settle the issue of leaving with her deal or not leaving at all. If the referendum is Remain versus Deal then even if the Conservative Party itself doesn't split at once the DUP will trigger the fall of the Government.

That's the end of her Ministry, the devastation of her party, and the likelihood that the deal goes down the pan anyway. Complete Parliamentary chaos that would be more likely to end in either Remain or No Deal by accident than with her agreement passing, and with the strong likelihood of a majority socialist Government post the General Election that would inevitably follow. After all, to get as far as having a referendum you need a Parliamentary majority, control of the Government, and enough time both to amend or repeal all the Brexit legislation and to pass new bills - whether they be to write the Withdrawal Agreement into law without qualification, or to do so subject to ratification by referendum. Unless, of course, the Parliamentary majority simply opts to stay in without a vote, in which case at least the new legislation can be dispensed with.

If the deal is finally, definitively voted down in January, as we all expect, then Theresa May sitting in Downing St and allowing the clock to run down is not likely to amount to a successful strategy. Either there's a schism on both sides of the House, to allow the pro-EU MPs to club together and defeat this thing with some hope of electoral survival afterwards, or there is total paralysis and No Deal by default.
    I have described my view of the referendum question if there is one: Deal vs Remain.

There are no other options.

And imagine the frisson of joy that the otherwise grey, staid Theresa May would feel coursing through her veins if that was her parting gift to the nation. She is leaving anyway and if her deal doesn't pass, then a Deal vs Remain referendum, sanctioned by her, would be exquisite.

Would the DUP and 1/3 of the Cons MPs like it? Hell no. Would Labour? Hell no (because it shoots their fox). Would the overwhelming majority of the electorate? Hell yes.
  • Options

If/when May pivots to a a remain/deal referendum, even if the DUP withdraw confidence and supply, I remain entirely unconvinced that Labour will want to VONC her. If they bring down the government, Corbyn might end up the prime minister that has to bring an entirely futile referendum in a deal his entire party has publicly rejected countless times to fruition.

That would be utterly ridiculous.

If Labour allows the referendum to happen, they'll at least keep May in power until the referendum is done.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,128
    Brom said:

Norm said:

Fuck off.
    Surely he's not right in saying that the UK can unilaterally extend the timetable, is he?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Apparently the Tories have failed to get us the "easiest deal ever". Quite an achievement.

Do you agree with no preparations too?
  • Options
    Chris said:

Brom said:

Norm said:

Fuck off.
    Surely he's not right in saying that the UK can unilaterally extend the timetable, is he?
    He's talking about revocation, I think.
  • Options
    Have to say (with apologies to TSE), I do much prefer the idea of a two-question referendum, rather than this AV nonsense.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Brom said:

Norm said:

Fuck off.
    I think what he is saying that for a mere £39Bn , the Uk can stay under mafia protection for another 6 months.

• Options
    justin124 said:

kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

SeanT said:

kyf_100 said:

My guess is that most would want to vote remain, but know they'll lose anywhere between 25-50% of their vote if they do (at best), end up only able to govern in coalition with a UKIP style party that gets 20-30 seats next time round (leading us back to square one) or unleash a Tommeh Tommeh Robinson style far right (at worst).

And that is the problem. The electorate has said "do this" twice - once in the referendum of 2016 and again in the GE of 2017. For them to go away and say we won't do this, having been instructed to repeatedly, is in itself a constitutional crisis. Aside from the fact they would be explicitly refusing the stated wishes of the electorate, the final outcome would likely be enough no-deal diamond-hard Brexiteers in Parliament at the next election to put us right back where we are now. But not enough of them to force no deal on the rest of us.
    If both Labour and Conservative MPs lose 25-50% of their leave voters then most Labour MPs

Disagree with that. Brexit does not appear to be a very salient issue for Labour voters. Other issues would easily override it - whether they voted Leave or Remain.
    Exactly, I'm sure Labour would lose some Brexit voters due to 'Brexit betrayal' but probably a lower percentage of them than the Conservatives and the Conservatives have maybe* about 4 times as many leave voters as Labour do.

*Does anyone know where I can find figures for Conservative and Labour voters in terms of leave and remain voters?
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    edited December 2018
    TGOHF said:

Varadkar is broadly a mainstream conservative who would, if he were a British MP, have been quite comfortable in a Cameron administration. You, on the other hand, are a myopic bigot.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

And imagine the frisson of joy that the otherwise grey, staid Theresa May would feel coursing through her veins if that was her parting gift to the nation. She is leaving anyway and if her deal doesn't pass, then a Deal vs Remain referendum, sanctioned by her, would be exquisite.

Would the DUP and 1/3 of the Cons MPs like it? Hell no. Would Labour? Hell no (because it shoots their fox). Would the overwhelming majority of the electorate? Hell yes.

And then, riding a wave of popular support, May deselects the ERG and calls an election... ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    matt said:

TGOHF said:

Varadkar is broadly a mainstream conservative who would, if he were a British MP, would have been quite comfortable in a Cameron administration. You, on the other hand, are a myopic bigot.
    Varadkar is at the average SNP MSP level of intellect and statehood - which isn't a compliment.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

To scream about how scary a possibility is, and in the next sentence endorse a refusal to prepare for it, is an utterly insupportable position. Which is, I suppose, why you don't support it, except to say that it would be politically difficult. Of course, this is nonsense. It would be seen as eminently sensible, and would hae strengthened our negotiating position.

The only rationale behind your position is that No deal cannot be prepared for because it must remain the bogeyman which will be used to scare people into remaining, and a prepared for bogeyman is not scary. I wonder how many of your fellow travellers subscribe to this.
    It was not prepared for so it's actually the past 30 months of verifiable fact rather than my views on the situation. Oh of course that nasty man Philip Hammond stopped it happening but that's bollocks. If David Davis was going to have the row of the summer with the EU, why was he such a pussycat with his own CotE? Why not publish his costed plans for no deal preparations and then have it out in the pages of the then-pro-Brexit Daily Mail and Express?

Because no deal planning was and is a fantasy.
  • Options

justin124 said:

kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

SeanT said:

kyf_100 said:

Exactly, I'm sure Labour would lose some Brexit voters due to 'Brexit betrayal' but probably a lower percentage of them than the Conservatives and the Conservatives have maybe* about 4 times as many leave voters as Labour do.

*Does anyone know where I can find figures for Conservative and Labour voters in terms of leave and remain voters?
    YouGov typically has Labour splitting 70/20 Remain, and the Conservatives 70/20 Leave.

Survation typically has the split at about 2/1 in each case.
  • Options

I am sure France does have preparations for it. I would certainly hope we have preparations for an attack from the continent.

Do I take it from this that you are also on the side of ramping the Nodealpocalypse (state failure I think was your phrase) but also not wanting to make any preparations for it.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    TGOHF said:

Brom said:

Norm said:

Fuck off.

Is he also a gimp?
    Did you miss his premiership ?

Compared to this one? To quote Miliband Junior: Hell, yes!
  • Options

Can Article 50 be revoked through a backbench bill ?
  • Options
    You dumbasss. Varadkar is the leader of Fine Gael, Ireland's mainsream centre-right party. In British terms, he's a Tory. In saner political climates, May and he should be very natural allies.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

I have described my view of the referendum question if there is one: Deal vs Remain.

You've excluded an option (the default option) and included a non-option.
  • Options
    Here he is sticking his nose into internal politics of the Uk - shortly before he crywanked himself to sleep over Priti Patel's comments.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/varadkar-tells-sinn-féin-take-up-westminster-seats-or-resign-them-1.3710817

Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has called on Sinn Féin to take up their seats at Westminster or else consider resigning them ahead of a crucial week for British prime minister Theresa May.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Only if the government provided time for it to progress.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

It is also within the gift of Govt. and Parliament to take No Deal off the table by agreeing May's Deal - which surely also does what you want, Mr Vardkar? Why not push for that - with Jeremy Corbyn?
  • Options

SeanT said:

I have to say that I find the thinking of Conservative MPs incomprehensible. Theresa May offers nothing to the country now: she is used up. Why they decided to leave her in situ is quite beyond me.

Because there is no one to replace her that will get a better result. They know that. As for the likelihood of Mr. Thicky Corbyn being able to renegotiate, that prospect is absolutely laughable.
    Quite. What's the point in replacing her when she is so keen to soak up all the punishment of Brexit; and who else REALLY wants to do that job, especially when there is no obvious way of doing a superior job?

Let her be the punchbag for public anger on Brexit. Then she can resign, taking the bruises with her, and the Tories can elect a post-Brexit PM ready to start afresh, untainted by the horrors of the last two years.
    She's a punchbag for MPs of all pursuasions but I am not sure the public see it that way. Quite a big proportion have a grudging respect for her imo.
    Plenty of idiots about for sure
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Pulpstar said:

Maybe not technically, but, as we've seen in recent weeks, contempt of Parliament proceedings can be launched if the government doesn't do as instructed... which could in turn lead to some Tory MPs being suspended before a motion of no confidence.
  • Options

You dumbasss. Varadkar is the leader of Fine Gael, Ireland's mainsream centre-right party. In British terms, he's a Tory. In saner political climates, May and he should be very natural allies.

Phil Hammond is centre - right. Doesn't make him suitable for high office..
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,128

Chris said:

Brom said:

Norm said:

Fuck off.
    He's talking about revocation, I think.
    Ahh - he only says it's within our gift to _seek_ an extension.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

Only if the government provided time for it to progress.
    So just Julian Smith (Or Chope) to yell object and it's as dead as a dodo then.
  • Options
    In some small bit of good news, people have stopped inviting Toby Young to their parties

• Options
    Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

Maybe not technically, but, as we've seen in recent weeks, contempt of Parliament proceedings can be launched if the government doesn't do as instructed...
    An humble address to revoke Art 50 !
  • Options

I am sure France does have preparations for it. I would certainly hope we have preparations for an attack from the continent.

Do I take it from this that you are also on the side of ramping the Nodealpocalypse (state failure I think was your phrase) but also not wanting to make any preparations for it.
    Surely "preparing for a state failure" is oxymoronic, in that the state would be succeeding if it prepared properly.

I think.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

Brom said:

Norm said:

Fuck off.

Is he also a gimp?
    yes, and a terrible PM
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

matt said:

TGOHF said:

Varadkar is broadly a mainstream conservative who would, if he were a British MP, would have been quite comfortable in a Cameron administration. You, on the other hand, are a myopic bigot.
    Varadkar is at the average SNP MSP level of intellect and statehood - which isn't a compliment.
    The Tories have Andrew Bridgen and Nadine Dorries.

People in glass houses shouldn't throw really, really thick stones.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

Two and a half years too late.

Either the prospect generally scares the crap out of Brussels, in which case it would have been a negotiating lever. Or they really don't give a shit about the way we exit (and so lose one eighth of their trade), in which case it would be a live option in a second referendum - an option that I suspect would be peculiarly attractive to the legions of ornery voters out there. Hell, it still is after diddly squat preparation.....
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    edited December 2018

If/when May pivots to a a remain/deal referendum, even if the DUP withdraw confidence and supply, I remain entirely unconvinced that Labour will want to VONC her. If they bring down the government, Corbyn might end up the prime minister that has to bring an entirely futile referendum in a deal his entire party has publicly rejected countless times to fruition.

Not as ridiculous as declining either to take power or force an election, when your entire purpose as the Leader of the Opposition is to convince everybody that it is an urgent necessity for you to swap places with the Prime Minister just as soon as possible. There's fence-sitting and then there's fence-sitting.

And apart from looking extremely silly, the other Opposition parties would have a field day. He could probably wave bye bye to all his 2017 gains in Scotland for starters.
  • Options
    Brexiteer logic today:
    1. Varadkar makes a direct appeal to Parliament to bypass Mrs May and revoke Article 50 = Interfering moron who should mind his own fucking business.
    2. IDS tells the EU "if you want a deal you'd better damn well step up to the plate" = Patriotic hero and can I have his babies.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited December 2018
    deleted
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

How long is this 'crashing out' construct going to last? How can you 'crash out' with months or potentially more to go? Contrary to what many remainers appear to think, people are not stupid. There is no such thing as a scheduled crash out.

It was not prepared for so it's actually the past 30 months of verifiable fact rather than my views on the situation. Oh of course that nasty man Philip Hammond stopped it happening but that's bollocks. If David Davis was going to have the row of the summer with the EU, why was he such a pussycat with his own CotE? Why not publish his costed plans for no deal preparations and then have it out in the pages of the then-pro-Brexit Daily Mail and Express?

Because no deal planning was and is a fantasy.
    Yes, but you've given your view, and your view is disturbingly hypocritical to say the least.

No deal planning can only be a fantasy, if no deal disruption is a fantasy. Where there is a problem, there is, by definition, a solution.
  • Options
    Donny43 said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

You've excluded an option (the default option) and included a non-option.
    I am dealing with the realities of the situation today. No deal is not an option in practical terms for the government, "default" as it may be.
  • Options
    Brom said:

Brom said:

Norm said:

Fuck off.

Is he also a gimp?
    yes, and a terrible PM
    A mild-mannered middle-manager trying and failing to do their best, held hostage by a party that has become fundamentally unmanageable.

Remind you of anyone?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

justin124 said:

kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

SeanT said:

kyf_100 said:

YouGov typically has Labour splitting 70/20 Remain, and the Conservatives 70/20 Leave.

Awesome, cheers.

So if I did say a 70/20/10 split on each party to estimate each parties share of 2017 leave voters would that be a fair rough estimate?
  • Options
    rawzerrawzer Posts: 189

Brom said:

Brom said:

Norm said:

Fuck off.

Is he also a gimp?
    yes, and a terrible PM
    A mild-mannered middle-manager trying and failing to do their best, held hostage by a party that has become fundamentally unmanageable.

Remind you of anyone?
    Mr Rumbold?
  • Options

Not as ridiculous as declining either to take power or force an election, when your entire purpose as the Leader of the Opposition is to convince everybody that it is an urgent necessity for you to swap places with the Prime Minister just as soon as possible. There's fence-sitting and then there's fence-sitting.

And apart from looking extremely silly, the other Opposition parties would have a field day. He could probably wave bye bye to all his 2017 gains in Scotland for starters.
    The other opposition parties are calling for the people's vote more than Corbyn is. If May offers it they will try to keep her in place anyway.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,952

kyf_100 said:

It just doesn't seem realistic when you consider Leave voters are mostly Conservative voters.

If everyone who wouldn't mind privatising the NHS stopped voting for either Labour or Conservative I'm sure Labour would lose a few voters but it would damage the Conservatives more because they have more voters with that view.

It would only really be damaging for Labour if many remainers also joined the Brexit betrayal party. Which doesn't make sense or for some reason (which also wouldn't make sense) Labour leave voters exclusively went to this new party... but that wouldn't then win any seats, which you said the party would.

I just can't see Labour remainers voting for a Brexit betrayal party as the most likely option, anything else likely in terms of leave voters switching surely leads to Labour benefit from the Conservatives losing.
    Then we see very differently. I see a pro-Brexit, socially conservative, working class party doing quite well in Labour seats, *if* Labour votes with the government to revoke Article 50.

Only time will tell. We may yet get to find out...
  • Options

Either the prospect generally scares the crap out of Brussels, in which case it would have been a negotiating lever. Or they really don't give a shit about the way we exit (and so lose one eighth of their trade), in which case it would be a live option in a second referendum - an option that I suspect would be peculiarly attractive to the legions of ornery voters out there. Hell, it still is after diddly squat preparation.....
    If it is 2 1/2 years late, then the only tenable position is to start this minute. And surely the panickers of yesterday must agree. ???
  • Options
    edited December 2018

Where there is a problem, there is, by definition, a solution.

Ah. An epiphany. This is why I've never understood the position of the extreme leaver.

BY DEFINITION there is a solution to everything, so every problem is not really a problem, it's just that no one has solved it yet.

Simultaneously enlightened and saddened.

[PS why don't you have a punt at the Riemann Hypothesis"]
  • Options

If it is 2 1/2 years late, then the only tenable position is to start this minute. And surely the panickers of yesterday must agree. ???
    There is already a perfectly worked out contingency plan: revoke Article 50.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

matt said:

TGOHF said:

Not to mention Nicky Morgan.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Then we see very differently. I see a pro-Brexit, socially conservative, working class party doing quite well in Labour seats, *if* Labour votes with the government to revoke Article 50.

Time was when Europe would be like, ooh, seventh in people's lists of concerns below things like housing, jobs, schools, hospitals, transport, public services, crime, pensions, benefits, social care...

JUST IMAGINE that I will live long enough for British politicians to start talking about those again.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Surely "preparing for a state failure" is oxymoronic, in that the state would be succeeding if it prepared properly.

I think.
    Yes, preparations to avoid it would have been more accurate.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

justin124 said:

kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

SeanT said:

kyf_100 said:

Awesome, cheers.

So if I did say a 70/20/10 split on each party to estimate each parties share of 2017 leave voters would that be a fair rough estimate?
    My guess is you'd see a reversion to the polling we saw in 2013-15.
  • Options

Yes, but you've given your view, and your view is disturbingly hypocritical to say the least.

No deal planning can only be a fantasy, if no deal disruption is a fantasy. Where there is a problem, there is, by definition, a solution.

Er, no. No deal is a highly undesirable set of circumstances so undesirable for the government to have ruled it out instantly. The problem was indeed of such undesirability that the government deemed that it was not going to entertain the possibility of it occurring.

A bit like if you carry a knife on the streets. You are giving permission to someone to kill you. Now, being mugged, disrespected, etc is certainly bad, but it is not as bad as being killed.
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

Time was when Europe would be like, ooh, seventh in people's lists of concerns below things like housing, jobs, schools, hospitals, transport, public services, crime, pensions, benefits, social care...

JUST IMAGINE that I will live long enough for British politicians to start talking about those again.
    Pre Brexit, immigration and the NHS were typically way ahead of the rest.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Where there is a problem, there is, by definition, a solution.

Ah. An epiphany. This is why I've never understood the position of the extreme leaver.

BY DEFINITION there is a solution to everything, so every problem is not really a problem, it's just that no one has solved it yet.

Simultaneously enlightened and saddened.

[PS why don't you have a punt at the Riemann Hypothesis"]
    Why not put the theory to the test and come up with some actual problems. So far there's just been some mumbling about state failure and societal collapse.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

matt said:

TGOHF said:

Although, Bridgen and Dorries aren't the face of their country on the international stage....
  • Options

LOL at that!
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

But the Conservatives didn't get them out with all the advantages and habitual Conservative voters that being a Conservative comes with. That party would have to almost completely take the Conservative vote if it didn't get Labour remainers in those seats (which it wouldn't as a Brexit betrayal party) to come close to challenging and take the Labour leave voters to have a chance of winning them.

and If that was repeated in other seats the Conservatives are wiped out and Labour get a landslide so it is a net positive for Labour. It just doesn't seem realistic to claim Brexit betrayal would harm the party with the majority of leavers as much as the one with very few.

We might be getting close to going round in circles though, clearly we do see things differently.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205

I think No Deal is the worst possible option. No Deal followed by a Corbyn government fills me with dread.

But to answer your question, of course the government should be preparing. In fact, it should have started preparing long before now. Contingency planning is essential to good governance - whether of governments or companies.
  • Options
    We wish you a merry kickmas
    and a happy new can

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1073246932280197120
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Er, no. No deal is a highly undesirable set of circumstances so undesirable for the government to have ruled it out instantly. The problem was indeed of such undesirability that the government deemed that it was not going to entertain the possibility of it occurring.

A bit like if you carry a knife on the streets. You are giving permission to someone to kill you. Now, being mugged, disrespected, etc is certainly bad, but it is not as bad as being killed.
    Topping, the world is chock full of countries that are fully politically and economically disengaged with the EU. Indeed, once upon a time, we used to be one. Somehow, they aren't eating each other in the ruins of their cities. To suggest that fully uncoupling from the EU is fraught with issues is fine. To suggest it is a fate so awful it cannot be looked in the face, much less prepared for, is comical.
This discussion has been closed.