Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » With so much difference between the week’s polls the best b

SystemSystem Posts: 11,730
edited October 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » With so much difference between the week’s polls the best bet is to rely on ICM

With so many different pictures being recorded in the polls in the past week my normal recourse is to revert back to what I regard as the gold standard – the monthly phone poll from ICM.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,876
    First!
  • Options
    ICM "feels" about right on Con and Lab - mid single digit Lab lead - but feels out on UKIP & Lib Dem - currently tho of course if they were to start prompting UKIP that would probably hit Con most.....Do you know if ICM are running parallel UKIP prompted/unprompted pilots?
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    Carlotta, I think you're the only person on today!
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    More hot air over free schools on pb, nothing about consequences of GCSE, GCE grade inflation, nothing on absurdity of A level pass rates reaching 97%+, nothing on functionally illiterate school leavers. If things are so good with the UK's education systems why is there so much slippage according to OECD, PISA?

Apologies to Scots for not referring to Standard and Higher grades, but the tractor achievements mentality regardless of quality pervades the education system.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,955
    edited October 2013
    To choose ICM as the 'Gold Standard' because they happened to be closest when the music stopped-that is to say on their last poll before the election-seems unfair.

At the last election if I remember rightly Yougov were consistantly closer to what turned out to be the actual result for weeks. ICM simply made a sudden shift on their last poll.

So for punters who want to have a clue ahead of time I'd say YouGov is the most useful.

OT After the Sunday Times article on Red Ralph I wonder if that shoddy little man Paul Dacre will change the habit of a lifetime and do the honourable thing and apologize?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    This YG sample has secondaries mostly moving to Labour, which in the absence of an obvious reason for sudden change may mean it's just a more Labour sample. But we've now had a couple of polls showing a drop in the Cameron-Miliband leadership gap regardless of the VI lead, so that's probably real.

Also lots of police-related questions. In summary there is still a good deal of uncertainty about the Mitchell case - there is a shift to believing him, but not a decisive one, and lots of people just say they don't know about various aspects of the case. Police credibility has been damaged but there were quite a few sceptics already. EU questions also varying according to the wording, though the general tone is mild scepticism.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    The most interesting thing in the polling at the moment is the rise in Miliband's ratings. At this trajectory he should be comfortably ahead of Cameron by the time of the election.

i think a lot of us might have misjudged him. I'm beginning to see quite an engaging character under that rather geeky exterior.

Cameron by contrast is looking evermore like the sleek account exec. A group I'm too familiar with. I feel about them as farmers do about foxes

• Options
    FPT:

YouGov in the middle with Lab 39 (+6)

http://cdn.yougov.com/cumulus_uploads/document/97oer2oipq/YG-Archive-Pol-Sunday-Times-results-181013.pdf

Cameron's approval slips, -15 (-4), while Miliband's improves, -26 (+4) and state of the economy -46 (-7) and personál financial situation -36 (-10) also take big hits.

On the 'trust' index the big losers are (net) Local Police: +40 (-8) and "upmarket newspaper" journalists: -22 (- 19), while My local MP ; -15 (+8) and judges +44 (+9) get a boost. The question was not asked about BBC or ITV journalists.

Belief that Mitchell told the truth grows; 36 (+6) but as many (40) believe he said "pleb" as do not (38). Opinion pretty evenly split on 'stitch up' (30) vs "misunderstanding" (21) vs "police telling truth" (24). Plebgate has not shifted overall trust in the police.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    My sense is that is about the best reflection at the moment of where we will end up in eighteen months time – but, of course, things can change

I thought polls were a prediction about what would happen if there was an election tomorrow.

i.e. specifically *not* a prediction of what the situation will be in 18 months time?

I don't disagree that ICM "feels about right" for today, but there is way too much uncertainty to think it is a good predictor of the next election's actual result.
  • Options
    FPT

Can I just say how weird Tristram Hunt's Spectator Diary was this week?

His opening paragraph was about how much he enjoyed sitting on the front bench watching David Cameron go red in the face.

That the sort of juvenilia I'd expect from a bloke posting anonymously on a website. Not from someone who aspires to be in the Cabinet.

ONE OF THE MINOR sociological treats of being appointed shadow education secretary is a frontbench view of David Cameron’s crimson tide — that half hour journey, every Question Time, during which the Prime Minister’s face turns from beatific calm to unedifying fury.

http://www.spectator.co.uk/the-week/diary/9057051/tristram-hunts-diary-a-close-up-view-of-david-camerons-rage-face/
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    edited October 2013
    Skynews giving wide coverage to the Archbishop`s intervention on energy prices with the Beeb restricting it to a single line.

PB Tories may want to write to Sky to complain about their partiality and their general left wingery.
  • Options
    Roger said:

The most interesting thing in the polling at the moment is the rise in Miliband's ratings. At this trajectory he should be comfortably ahead of Cameron by the time of the election.

Roger, let's not get carried away - Miliband's net rating in YouGov has only recovered to where it was at the beginning of the year and is still well below where it was 12 months ago.

If Cameron is an account exec, Miliband is a planner - lots of ideas, few of them practical....has a habit of rubbing people up the wrong way and overly fond of jargon which they think makes them sound clever.....

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,561
    Late yesterday I finally got around to glancing at last week's ST magazine. There was an interesting article about London and its exceptionalism. GNP per head there is 171% of the UK average (and this is before SeanT got his latest book contracts), it takes in more investment into property than New York and Paris put together and has more millionaires than anyone else. Despite the massive blow to financial services it has not really stopped growing since 2008 and continues to form an ever larger part of our national GDP. Londoners pay 25% of all IT, 3x as much as Scotland with 2x the population.

I mention all this because I was reflecting about how strong Labour is in London. In today's Yougov they have a lead of 15% which is fairly typical. So strong economic growth (no one could pretend that London is not already booming), high paid employment, fairly fantastic (compared to the rest of us) public services and high public investment in things like Crossrail and the Olympic sites are not winning the tories votes there. Even moving 2,000 BBC luvvies to Manchester has not made any difference.

Why not? I suspect that gross inequality is one of the reasons. Given the higher cost base being poor in London is being really poor and many live in really squalid housing conditions on incomes where they would be quite comfortable elsewhere.

The broader lesson is that an economic recovery that is very unequally shared may not garner as many votes for the tories as optimists like me wish to assume. The economic performance of London may be matched by the rest of the country by 2015 (at least in terms of growth) but it is a lazy assumption that this will turn the country blue. London is at least an example of how it won't.
  • Options
    Couldn't happen to nicer people......

"The budget fight that led to the first government shutdown in 17 years did not just set off a round of recriminations among Republicans over who was to blame for the politically disastrous standoff. It also heralded a very public escalation of a far more consequential battle for control of the Republican Party, a confrontation between Tea Party conservatives and establishment Republicans that will play out in the coming Congressional and presidential primaries in 2014 and 2016 but has been simmering since President George W. Bush’s administration, if not before."

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/20/us/fiscal-crisis-sounds-the-charge-in-gops-civil-war.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_20131020&_r=0
  • Options
    Carlotta.

A good analogy but as Dave Trott once famously said you can split agencies into the chefs and the waiters. And however you look at it a planner is a chef and an account exec is a waiter.

(if as I suspect you were on the account side I have to say I have worked with some very bright ones though not often very creative)
  • Options
    Roger said:

Carlotta.

A good analogy but as Dave Trott once famously said you can split agencies into the chefs and the waiters. And however you look at it a planner is a chef and an account exec is a waiter.

(if as I suspect you were on the account side I have to say I have worked with some very bright ones though not often very creative)

I was a client - so got to see both, and do not disagree with your Cameron analogy!

I always saw the Creatives as the chefs!

The account execs were there to stop the clients and creatives murdering each other, while the planners smiled benignly and suggested a focus group....

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,798
    Charles said:

FPT

Can I just say how weird Tristram Hunt's Spectator Diary was this week?

His opening paragraph was about how much he enjoyed sitting on the front bench watching David Cameron go red in the face.

That the sort of juvenilia I'd expect from a bloke posting anonymously on a website. Not from someone who aspires to be in the Cabinet.

ONE OF THE MINOR sociological treats of being appointed shadow education secretary is a frontbench view of David Cameron’s crimson tide — that half hour journey, every Question Time, during which the Prime Minister’s face turns from beatific calm to unedifying fury.

http://www.spectator.co.uk/the-week/diary/9057051/tristram-hunts-diary-a-close-up-view-of-david-camerons-rage-face/

How long until James Naughtie calls him Tristam Cnut ?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    dr_spyn said:

More hot air over free schools on pb, nothing about consequences of GCSE, GCE grade inflation, nothing on absurdity of A level pass rates reaching 97%+, nothing on functionally illiterate school leavers. If things are so good with the UK's education systems why is there so much slippage according to OECD, PISA?

Apologies to Scots for not referring to Standard and Higher grades, but the tractor achievements mentality regardless of quality pervades the education system.

Free schools are at best a side show. Yes, Gove cares about education but there is no sign he is doing anything very useful about it.

Grade inflation is a corollary of the creeping Americanisation of the system: subjects taught in modules; almost everyone "graduates high school"; most go to university, often for a liberal arts education; the most academically gifted go from there to America's best-in-the-world graduate schools to study medicine, law or finance, or pursue research.

You voted for all this in, erm, well ...

And here's the irony, most of what many right-wing commentators see as the damage to our education system happened under Conservative governments.

Even grade inflation: is that a consequence of "All Must Have Prizes!" or of school league tables and market competition between exam boards?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Late yesterday I finally got around to glancing at last week's ST magazine. There was an interesting article about London and its exceptionalism. GNP per head there is 171% of the UK average (and this is before SeanT got his latest book contracts), it takes in more investment into property than New York and Paris put together and has more millionaires than anyone else. Despite the massive blow to financial services it has not really stopped growing since 2008 and continues to form an ever larger part of our national GDP. Londoners pay 25% of all IT, 3x as much as Scotland with 2x the population.

I mention all this because I was reflecting about how strong Labour is in London. In today's Yougov they have a lead of 15% which is fairly typical. So strong economic growth (no one could pretend that London is not already booming), high paid employment, fairly fantastic (compared to the rest of us) public services and high public investment in things like Crossrail and the Olympic sites are not winning the tories votes there. Even moving 2,000 BBC luvvies to Manchester has not made any difference.

Why not? I suspect that gross inequality is one of the reasons. Given the higher cost base being poor in London is being really poor and many live in really squalid housing conditions on incomes where they would be quite comfortable elsewhere.

The broader lesson is that an economic recovery that is very unequally shared may not garner as many votes for the tories as optimists like me wish to assume. The economic performance of London may be matched by the rest of the country by 2015 (at least in terms of growth) but it is a lazy assumption that this will turn the country blue. London is at least an example of how it won't.

For London you are always best off looking at medians rather than means. There are some extraordinarily rich people living there, but most people are just hanging on. Thinking about SeanT's neck of the woods, some very rich people live in some very expensive housing. But within a very short walking distance there are a number of council estates and housing projects where a lot more people earning low wages live.

• Options
    DavidL said:

The wealth and political divisions in London are more severe than in other places.

Elections are decided not in London nor in other cities but in medium sized towns.

Take a look at the football League Two or football Conference - it is in those dreary sounding places where governments are chosen.

Our political overclass though thinks the world revolves around premiership type places.
  • Options
    tim said:

This Free Schools mess is very funny, is Gove on holiday or just gone missing all week, the unqualified rabble need their Messiah.

Its all about 2015 manifesto promises:

"Nick Clegg concedes he will not get his changes past the education secretary before the election, so he will pledge to make them in the next Lib Dem manifesto.'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-24599458
  • Options
    DavidL said:

no one could pretend that London is not already booming

Actually it looks more likely that London is economically bubbling rather than booming.

Influxes of foreign money into property plus government infrastructure spending (and its bailout for the banks) rather than any intrinsic increase in wealth creation from the London economy itself.

The difference between a bubble and a boom is important and lies behind the failures of the overclass to predict and prepare for the recession and their mistaken policies afterwards.

• Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Roger said:

i think a lot of us might have misjudged him. I'm beginning to see quite an engaging character under that rather geeky exterior.

Cameron by contrast is looking evermore like the sleek account exec. A group I'm too familiar with. I feel about them as farmers do about foxes

Yep.

And---that they are rather sneaky and smelly?
  • Options
    @DavidL

Very interesting post. The 'haves' in London make up a small percentage of the whole and for the rest daily living in can be a pretty excruciating experience.

I was working in Mexico City and was surprised by the way ostentatious wealth was living literally next door to dire poverty. I asked my Mexican client how this came about and he said it's what happens in all third world countries and in many ways that's what Mexico was.

Well despite the sparkle noted in your post in many parts of London the same is true.
  • Options
    @Toms

"And---that they are rather sneaky and smelly?"

To non farmers they look rather attractive and even exotic
  • Options

DavidL said:

For London you are always best off looking at medians rather than means. There are some extraordinarily rich people living there, but most people are just hanging on. Thinking about SeanT's neck of the woods, some very rich people live in some very expensive housing. But within a very short walking distance there are a number of council estates and housing projects where a lot more people earning low wages live.

I remember when my daughter was in London she described Brick Lane. A wonderful area of family friendly, excellent restaurants. She pointed out that if you took a wrong turning you would find yourself in a parallel street where threatening figures openly sold drugs around braziers. I suspect it is that cheek by jowl contrast that makes the inequalities so hard to ignore there and causes resentment.

I take your point about means and medians. My point was rather that a strong economy, by far the strongest in the UK, is not stopping Labour making progress there. It is a warning the tories would do well to heed.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,342
    It's utterly hilarious reading the flailing in the Telegraph et al in response to the EC report on EU benefits. Having first criticised it for being too "quantitative" (i.e. involving facts, not just hearsay) they are now attacking it on the basis that the consultancies that produced the report have done other work for the EU, which apparently makes them "biased".

Best of all, they parrot the government's line that the report should be discounted because of "widespread public perception" of a problem, which seems like a bizarre way to govern.

Given the Telegraph's reliance on funding from the Barclay brothers et al, presumably we should ignore everything they have to say too
  • Options

DavidL said:

Actually it looks more likely that London is economically bubbling rather than booming.

Influxes of foreign money into property plus government infrastructure spending (and its bailout for the banks) rather than any intrinsic increase in wealth creation from the London economy itself.

The difference between a bubble and a boom is important and lies behind the failures of the overclass to predict and prepare for the recession and their mistaken policies afterwards.

The article said that £6bn a year of foreign money was being pumped into London real estate. Not even the London market can absorb that without getting somewhat bubbly. But it would be a serious mistake to underestimate the growth of real wealth creation in London whether in IT, business services or even tourism. Output was, IIRC, up 12.5% since 2008. An amazing achievement given the financial services crash clearly hit harder there than anywhere else.

It is by no means all bubble.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,033
    An interesting way of putting it.

"This came out on Monday night and had CON 34, LAB 38, LD 12, UKIP 8. My sense is that is about the best reflection at the moment of where we will end up in eighteen months time"

Now I can understand if you think ICM is the best reflection of current opinion, but what makes it the best predictor of how people will vote in 18 months' time? Although I admit ICM has been more stable than some other pollsters' and has been showing merely margin of error changes since before the summer.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    How can ICM predict where we will be in 18 months time - ridic comment.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Are all the SNPers watching the Sainted Eck on Marr?

He has just confirmed again he is feart to debate Alastair Darling
  • Options
    Roger said:

OT After the Sunday Times article on Red Ralph I wonder if that shoddy little man Paul Dacre will change the habit of a lifetime and do the honourable thing and apologize?

I don't see why. What he did was pretty distasteful but there is nothing wrong in it - you have an absolute right to speak ill of the dead in English law. And more to the point, it was done as a deliberate hatchet job on Ed - surely any apology would simply be hypocrisy? Why do we expect people to apologise when they have obviously done something deliberately and with malice aforethought? The chances of him actually feeling sorry about it are negligible.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    DavidL said:

Late yesterday I finally got around to glancing at last week's ST magazine. There was an interesting article about London and its exceptionalism. ...

Thoughtful point as usual from DavidL. It's partly that living in London is really a challenge because the housing:population ratio is wildly askew. I live near work in Holloway in North London, which has rough edges though not nasty. I rent a tiny flatlet; it's £1250/month, 50% more than I paid to rent a large house in a leafy Nottingham suburb. Before I took it, i looked around and there simply wasn't anywhere local much less - one place had a broken door from a recent break-in, stains on the carpet and a broken heating system: it was £1200/month.

So many Londoners feel life is maybe exciting but a knife-edged business, and governments saying things are going splendidly just sound absurdly out of touch, almost as though they inhabited another planet. Gross inequality, as David says, rubs it in.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Interesting article in Salon, tracing the Republican's Tea Party woes back to Nixon:

"The long road to Ted Cruz, Fox News, the Tea Party and right-wing insanity has its roots in the events of 1973"

http://www.salon.com/2013/10/19/birth_of_conservative_delusion_roger_ailes_takes_his_revenge/
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I remember when my daughter was in London she described Brick Lane. A wonderful area of family friendly, excellent restaurants. She pointed out that if you took a wrong turning you would find yourself in a parallel street where threatening figures openly sold drugs around braziers. I suspect it is that cheek by jowl contrast that makes the inequalities so hard to ignore there and causes resentment.

Haven't cities always been like this? I imagine it has been the same since the days of Nero.

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    SMukesh said:

Skynews giving wide coverage to the Archbishop`s intervention on energy prices with the Beeb restricting it to a single line.

PB Tories may want to write to Sky to complain about their partiality and their general left wingery.

The archbishop is a total irrelevance. Church attendances are tending to zero.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

tim said:

This Free Schools mess is very funny, is Gove on holiday or just gone missing all week, the unqualified rabble need their Messiah.

Its all about 2015 manifesto promises:

"Nick Clegg concedes he will not get his changes past the education secretary before the election, so he will pledge to make them in the next Lib Dem manifesto.'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-24599458
    What's the point? Clegg's unapologetic apology for the LibDems' tuition fees volte face said in as many words that the LibDem manifesto was just so much hot air since they'd at best be junior partner in a coalition.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Scott_P said:

I thought he said his preference was to firstly debate the Prime Minister and then Alastair Darling ??

• Options
    JackW said:

Scott_P said:

I thought he said his preference was to firstly debate the Prime Minister and then Alastair Darling ??
    Indeed - so when Cameron refuses (as Eck knows he will) will he debate Darling?

• Options
    JackW said:

The question was "will you debate Alistair Darling" to which the reply was "only after some other thing that will never happen"

If he is happy to debate Darling, why the caveat? Get on with it. Or is he feart?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

SMukesh said:

The archbishop is a total irrelevance. Church attendances are tending to zero.
    For a "total irrelevance" the Archbish seems to get an inordinate amount of coverage - clearly he has friends up the food chain.

• Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

The article said that £6bn a year of foreign money was being pumped into London real estate. Not even the London market can absorb that without getting somewhat bubbly. But it would be a serious mistake to underestimate the growth of real wealth creation in London whether in IT, business services or even tourism. Output was, IIRC, up 12.5% since 2008. An amazing achievement given the financial services crash clearly hit harder there than anywhere else.

It is by no means all bubble.
    Is tourism really growing in London ? Using the dubious case of personal anecdote I would say London seemed busier in the mid 2000s than it has done recently.

In any case London tourism is clearly something with a maximum capacity.

As to IT and business services aren't these things in which the gains are concentrated in a small proportion of people. And, with respect, I'm always dubious on the London boom/bubble distinction - six years ago London's financial services were hailed as the envy of the world after all.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,241
    DavidL said:

London is sucking the rest of the country dry and it is down to government policy. Other than the SE and a few specific areas the boom will not happen. They are trying hard to make the UK the most unequal country in the world as they line their pockets.
  • Options
    Damian Green giving an assured performance on Marr - too old/not telegenic enough for preferment under Cameron?
  • Options
    tim said:

@DavidL

Read this

@politicshome: Lord Saatchi heads Today's Top Ten Must-Reads: A devotion to old capitalism by the Tories will hand Ed keys to No10: http://t.co/WH7qAW30EP

Smart Tories have known the party should been looking at a living wage and property costs/taxes for a long time.

Slightly incoherent piece I thought Tim but the underlying idea that having rejected socialism (eastern Europe style) people have reservations about capitalism red in tooth and claw is probably right.

The marxist stuff is really nonsense and possibly just a link so he can name drop Ed. The problem we face is one that Marx did not foresee. It is the domination of the world economy by large supranational brands and businesses that are simply beyond the power of governments to control or even tax. They are not controlled by the bourgeoisie, they are not obviously controlled by anyone. They have become vampires feeding on the well being of nation states and consumers alike.

The main beneficiaries of these companies is not the property owning class but those that work for them. It is something I remember clearly from the first books on economics I read by JK Galbraith who Saatchi also name checks.

International capitalism in this form undoubtedly creates wealth. But it is a very unevenly divided wealth and many do not like it. It is not hard to understand why even if their hopes that nation states can still do something about it tend to the naive.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

JackW said:

The question was "will you debate Alistair Darling" to which the reply was "only after some other thing that will never happen"

If he is happy to debate Darling, why the caveat? Get on with it. Or is he feart?
    I'm not known as PB's greatest fan of Wee Eck but he didn't say he wouldn't debate Darling but that his preference was firstly to debate the Prime Minister. It's a perfectly reasonable position to take and one would have to say Scotland's First Minister isn't exactly known to be camera shy !!

• Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Whoa, wait, what? Why isn't there a thread on the referendum in San Marino?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    As the referendum gets closer, and the yes campaign seems stuck at 40%, Alex will need to debate Darling. He will need to shake it up a bit. It is those who are losing in the polls that are most likely to benefit from a debate.
    Scott_P said:

JackW said:

• Options
    JohnLoony said:

Whoa, wait, what? Why isn't there a thread on the referendum in San Marino?

Are they hoping to get their F1 grand prix back ?

• Options
    Scott_P said:

Scott , lying as ever , he once again confirmed he will first talk to the organ grinder and will then deal with the monkeys. Is Dave still hiding under his bed claiming the break up of the UK is flippers fault.
  • Options
    JackW said:

I'm not known as PB's greatest fan of Wee Eck but he didn't say he wouldn't debate Darling but that his preference was firstly to debate the Prime Minister. It's a perfectly reasonable position to take

It is not a reasonable position at all.

Instead of a debate between Scots about the future of Scotland, Eck refuses to engage until he has had another debate with an Englishman who has no vote.

It's posturing to avoid debating Mr Darling.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

London is sucking the rest of the country dry and it is down to government policy. Other than the SE and a few specific areas the boom will not happen. They are trying hard to make the UK the most unequal country in the world as they line their pockets.
    Explain how London is sucking the rest of the country dry. (From a non-Londoner)

• Options
    malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

Scott , lying as ever , he once again confirmed he will first talk to the organ grinder and will then deal with the monkeys. Is Dave still hiding under his bed claiming the break up of the UK is flippers fault.
    You are Roy Hodgson and I claim a penalty kick against your shins !!

• Options
    @Carlotta

"Interesting article in Salon, tracing the Republican's Tea Party woes back to Nixon:"

Very. Reads like the synopsis of a film script
  • Options
    DavidL said:

tim said:

@DavidL

Read this

@politicshome: Lord Saatchi heads Today's Top Ten Must-Reads: A devotion to old capitalism by the Tories will hand Ed keys to No10: http://t.co/WH7qAW30EP

Smart Tories have known the party should been looking at a living wage and property costs/taxes for a long time.

The main beneficiaries of these companies is not the property owning class but those that work for them.
    No, most of those that work for them are no more than wage slaves.

The beneficiaries are the executive class, who effectively steal the fruits of the workers labour and the fruits of the owners investments.

Within the tree of capitalism they are a species of parasite - self interested, self reproducing and rotting the whole structure while contributing nothing.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

JackW said:

No matter how many times you lie Scott, he has clearly stated he will talk to Cameron first and will then debate with Darling or anyone else that cares to. Where is Dave , why is he scared to debate the break up of the UK. His position that it is for a Labour back bencher to discuss the UK position is rubbish and even a blinkered sheep like you know that so have to keep lying to deflect from it.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    SMukesh said:

The commercial channels are rabble-rousers watched by people with a chip on their shoulders. The Beeb is watched by the middle classes who think the state owes them a living.

• Options

JackW said:

Scott_P said:

Cameron can only hide for so long, as the publicity gets worse and the unionists get taunted he will need to come out the bunker. Alex can wait and mock him and Flipper until then. Cameron should not be sending a boy to do a mans job.
  • Options

Interesting article in Salon, tracing the Republican's Tea Party woes back to Nixon:

"The long road to Ted Cruz, Fox News, the Tea Party and right-wing insanity has its roots in the events of 1973"

http://www.salon.com/2013/10/19/birth_of_conservative_delusion_roger_ailes_takes_his_revenge/

Not Goldwater?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

JackW said:

I'm not known as PB's greatest fan of Wee Eck but he didn't say he wouldn't debate Darling but that his preference was firstly to debate the Prime Minister. It's a perfectly reasonable position to take

Instead of a debate between Scots about the future of Scotland, Eck refuses to engage until he has had another debate with an Englishman who has no vote.

It's a pretty pass if the Prime Minister who says he is determined that the Union should stand refuses to debate with the First Minister who is determined the Union should fold.

Let the two main forces meet and the Scottish electors have the benefit of their views.

Darling will have his turn and I have no doubt Salmond will meet the challenge.

• Options

As the referendum gets closer, and the yes campaign seems stuck at 40%, Alex will need to debate Darling. He will need to shake it up a bit. It is those who are losing in the polls that are most likely to benefit from a debate.

Scott_P said:

JackW said:

And reality is that as yes are rising in the polls , no are dropping with Cameron still in hiding with nothing to say on saving the union , Darling being ridiculed as a Tory poodle, Cameron will be flushed out and have to debate. Cameron the coward who lost the union may prove too hard for him to take even though he knows he will get slaughtered.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Scott_P said:

JackW said:

More lies, Scotland are going to leave the UK, we hear every day about how great the union and its benefits are , are you seriously trying to say that the leader of the union should not be involved in a discussion on the break up of that union. Unionists are getting desperate very early in the day.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

What government policies do you have in mind? It seems that governments of different hues have spent very large sums almost since the war trying to regenerate "the regions" with almost no success at all.

The movement of civil service back office functions out of London, for example, seems to have had a stifling effect on enterprise in the regions where they were moved to making a public sector job more attractive and sucking up the local talent.

An exception the ST piece referred to was the transfer of 2,000 BBC staff to Manchester which seems to have been a great success creating a media city that now employs over 10,000 only a fifth of which work for the BBC. Perhaps the wrong kind of jobs have been moved.

Yet another interesting point made in the article was about HS2. It suggested those that wanted this cancelled and more runways at Heathrow instead were simply London centric. The head of Birmingham pointed out that with HS2 there was no reason why London's new airport with 4 runways might not be in Brimingham and be able to get people into the centre of London faster than you currently get there from Gatwick.

This is not an easy problem to solve as the failures of governments of both hues have shown. I think you are wrong to say the current government is indifferent to it.
  • Options
    perdix said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Explain how London is sucking the rest of the country dry. (From a non-Londoner)

If you had read Davidl's post it was clearly shown , the growth there due to mainly government money is bleeding the rest of the country dry.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

JackW said:

Scott_P said:

Cameron can only hide for so long, as the publicity gets worse and the unionists get taunted he will need to come out the bunker. Alex can wait and mock him and Flipper until then. Cameron should not be sending a boy to do a mans job.
    Actually, no Cameron does not have to do what Salmond says.

Just as NATO, the EU and the Bank of England don't.

If the referendum was UK wide, then yes, the PM of the UK should debate with the FM of Scotland.

But it isn't.

Its a Scottish matter, for Scots, much as Salmond would like to have a 'posh English bloke telling the Scots how to vote', it ain't going to happen.

• Options
    tim said:

JackW said:

Scott_P said:

JackW said:

It's a pretty pass if the Prime Minister who says he is determined that the Union should stand refuses to debate with the First Minister who is determined the Union should fold.

Let the two main forces meet and the Scottish electors have the benefit of their views.

Putting Cameron in with Salmond would be the political equivalent of putting the Cheltenham Ladies College under 13's in with Bayern Munich, it's not going to happen for that reason.

I rather think that depends what game they are playing !!

My view is clear. The Prime Minister should not dodge a debate with Salmond just as the latter should not avoid Darling.

• Options
    JackW said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

You are Roy Hodgson and I claim a penalty kick against your shins !!

Touche
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

JackW said:

And reality is that as yes are rising in the polls
    Links?

• Options
    malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

JackW said:

No matter how many times you lie Scott, he has clearly stated he will talk to Cameron first and will then debate with Darling or anyone else that cares to. Where is Dave , why is he scared to debate the break up of the UK. His position that it is for a Labour back bencher to discuss the UK position is rubbish and even a blinkered sheep like you know that so have to keep lying to deflect from it.
    Scottiah independence is a matter for the scots
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    I do hope so, as I have a small sum on Scottish Independence, but Jacks McARSE has spoken, and the Union will win.

As the Tories are the Westminster party with most to gain from Scottish independence, I think that they will not be too unhappy at a yes vote.
    malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

JackW said:

And reality is that as yes are rising in the polls , no are dropping with Cameron still in hiding with nothing to say on saving the union , Darling being ridiculed as a Tory poodle, Cameron will be flushed out and have to debate. Cameron the coward who lost the union may prove too hard for him to take even though he knows he will get slaughtered.
  • Options
    Re the debate with Darling.....

Is Darling rated highly in Scotland? I'd have thought his patrician manner would go down well there.
  • Options
    edited October 2013

The main beneficiaries of these companies is not the property owning class but those that work for them.
    No, most of those that work for them are no more than wage slaves.They might be wage slaves, but one of the effects of a monopolistic or oligarchic market is that companies are inefficient, ie their costs rise. This includes excess wages for their employees (in addition to excess salaries for executives and excess profits for the owners).
  • Options

malcolmg said:

JackW said:

Scott_P said:

If the referendum was UK wide, then yes, the PM of the UK should debate with the FM of Scotland.

But it isn't.

Its a Scottish matter, for Scots, much as Salmond would like to have a 'posh English bloke telling the Scots how to vote', it ain't going to happen.

Cameron is Prime Minister of the UK. That includes Scotland.

No excuses. Cameron should debate Salmond.

• Options
    JackW said:

Scott_P said:

JackW said:

Quite right.
    If the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom won't debate with the leader of a party that wants to breaks up that union, prior to a referendum, then he should expect ridicule.

We have the farcical situation where unionists say that Scottish Independence is a union-wide issue on the one hand , and then say it should just be Scots debating it on the other.

• Options
    JackW said:

Scott_P said:

JackW said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

This is not an easy problem to solve as the failures of governments of both hues have shown. I think you are wrong to say the current government is indifferent to it.

David, certainly not an easy answer to it , but successive governments have done little other than tinkering about it. It is not good for the UK overall but hard to see it changing.
  • Options
    JackW said:

malcolmg said:

JackW said:

Scott_P said:

But it isn't.

And the First Minister is the leading politician in a small region. He's quite welcome to debate with the head of NI or the Welsh region if he wants.

Salmond has continually (even pre-debate) been pushing the line that he is Cameron's equal.

He's not. One is the leader of a country. Until the referendum the other is not.
  • Options
    JackW said:

No Excuses. Salmond should debate Darling
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

perdix said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

If you had read Davidl's post it was clearly shown , the growth there due to mainly government money is bleeding the rest of the country dry.
    I didn't say that Malcolm and the truth is the reverse. A free standing London would have a budget surplus of about £20bn a year according to the article. I have no idea if the figures are right but if they pay 25% of all the IT in the country they may well be.

• Options
    Roger said:

Re the debate with Darling.....

Is Darling rated highly in Scotland? I'd have thought his patrician manner would go down well there.

Quite the opposite
  • Options
    JackW said:

malcolmg said:

JackW said:

Scott_P said:

But it isn't.

In that case the vote should be union-wide.

• Options

JackW said:

Scott_P said:

JackW said:

Quite right.
    If the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom won't debate with the leader of a party that wants to breaks up that union, prior to a referendum, then he should expect ridicule.

We have the farcical situation where unionists say that Scottish Independence is a union-wide issue on the one hand , and then say it should just be Scots debating it on the other.

But Unionists (at least the ones who post on here) don't say that.

They say *independence* is a Scottish issue. *Devo Max* is a union wide issue
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    JackW said:

malcolmg said:

JackW said:

Scott_P said:

But it isn't.

SNP vs Tories is the battle that Salmond wants as it will add support to his campaign.

So perhaps Cameron is being sensible by refusing that battle though participating in such a debate could well improve Tory ratings north of the border and add a couple of seats to his election tally.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    @foxinsoxuk wrote :

"I do hope so, as I have a small sum on Scottish Independence, but Jacks McARSE has spoken, and the Union will win."

Well done - Stiff upper lip old chap. Take the hit and make up your loses with my 2015 ARSE predictions.
  • Options
    John Curtice on the "Scots as social democrats" claim:

"So, the nationalist argument goes, if Scotland is to create the more equal society that it evidently wants, and if it is to cement its relationship with the European Union, it needs to back independence when it gets the chance to do so next September.

But is Scotland a markedly more egalitarian, more social democratic society in its social outlook? And is it much keener on its links with Brussels? .....

.......So those who hope that independence would pave the way for Scotland to become a markedly more social democratic country that in addition would wish to be in the European fast lane should perhaps not set their expectations too high. At present at least, what Scotland wants looks too similar to what England wants for us to assume that is what would happen."

http://blog.whatscotlandthinks.org/2013/10/two-different-countries-scottish-and-english-attitudes-to-equality-and-europe/
  • Options

malcolmg said:

JackW said:

Scott_P said:

But it isn't.

LOL, that cowardly position to really debate the above is why the union will fail. The scary stories on all are false as is Cameron. He has Hobson's choice of being the coward who lost the union or the fool who debated and lost the union. He will take the cowardly option and provide great benefit to YES.
  • Options
    I agree with JackW that Cameron should debate with Salmond. As PM of the United Kingdom he needs to show a commitment to the Union. I also think that Salmond's ability as a debater is somewhat overrated as a result of the numpties he has in competition with him in the Scottish Parliament.

On the other hand I do not see why debates with Darling should in any way conditional on the debate with Cameron taking place. That is just cowardice.
  • Options

JackW said:

malcolmg said:

JackW said:

Scott_P said:

But it isn't.

And if Scotland votes No and the rest of the UK Yes !!

Titters ...

• Options

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

JackW said:

Links?

Better with square, as you well know I was replying to Fox's talk of the future , I do not have a time machine but am certain that as the reality comes out we will see a change.
    Since you are so interested , would you like a wager on whether Yes will rise in the polls over the next 300 days
  • Options
    JackW said:

So long, and thanks for all the Whisky...
  • Options
    As malcolmg is still looking for a link that shows support for independence is growing in the polls.....here's what John Curtice thinks:

http://blog.whatscotlandthinks.org/2013/10/tns-bmrb-october-poll-shows-little-change-again/

"Despite the confusion of the pollsters, it seems there really is no change happening at all!"

I would expect 'Yes' to get an uplift post the SNP conference, how much of that, and how long it sticks, time will tell.....
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    edited October 2013
    Re: London effect

To declare an interest, my younger son lives not far from SeanT. When I stay with him, I meet his friends who are a multinational set aged 25-45 who are occupying a lot of the top jobs in London as they are mobile, aspirational and more competent and capable that many of the UK applicants. They are also multilingual and are ready to move and take their families to where the next best opportunity will be.

This multinational set create an aspirational buzz which is very motivating and so evident in contrast to the depressing "why wont the jobs come to us" attitude found in so much of the UK.

London is also the financial heart of the UK and Europe - where else will I find merchant banks that will back large trading ventures, without me contributing a penny.

All capital and successful cities have richness and poverty living cheek-by-jowl - it was always thus. However, this success can be collapsed by over-taxation which would make the wealth creators depart and so leave tens of thousands of people who they employed without jobs.
  • Options
    Charles said:

JackW said:

Scott_P said:

JackW said:

Quite right.

But the two are inextricably linked in the public mind. Independence is the key to it all. That's the thing that needs sorting first, then after the referendum, if it's No, devomax can be argued over then. Cameron should step up as UK Prime Minister and fight for the Union.

• Options
    Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

JackW said:

So you think that an opposition Labour back bencher should be put forward as the person to represent HMG on the debate over the dissolution of the union. Why not the only MP in Westminster or even the SoS as a sop.
    The Government and Cameron in particular are scared to debate the dissolution of the UK.
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

JackW said:

malcolmg said:

JackW said:

Scott_P said:

But it isn't.

SNP vs Tories is the battle that Salmond wants as it will add support to his campaign.

So perhaps Cameron is being sensible by refusing that battle though participating in such a debate could well improve Tory ratings north of the border and add a couple of seats to his election tally.
    There are times when politicians have to do the correct thing even if it might not appear politically wise.

Cameron should not run away from the cause from which he has very solidly and IMO correctly set his mind to supporting

• Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

malcolmg said:

JackW said:

Scott_P said:

But it isn't.

Titters ...

Here's your hat, where's your hurry?

Joking apart, IIRC the most recent poll showed rUK even less enthusiastic about Scottish independence than the Scots - though there have been some in the past which showed the reverse....

• Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    'My sense is that is about the best reflection at the moment of where we will end up in eighteen months time.'

Can you frame that?

A 5.7% swing to Labour? Second largest swing to any party since the War?

Miliband?

Pfft!
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I agree with JackW that Cameron should debate with Salmond. As PM of the United Kingdom he needs to show a commitment to the Union. I also think that Salmond's ability as a debater is somewhat overrated as a result of the numpties he has in competition with him in the Scottish Parliament.

On the other hand I do not see why debates with Darling should in any way conditional on the debate with Cameron taking place. That is just cowardice.

In fact Salmond performs badly at FMQs. He is regularly mauled by Lamont .

Salmond needs to debate Cameron because his Yes campaign is failing , therefore Cameron should refuse.

• Options

Charles said:

JackW said:

Scott_P said:

JackW said:

Quite right.

But the two are inextricably linked in the public mind. Independence is the key to it all. That's the thing that needs sorting first, then after the referendum, if it's No, devomax can be argued over then. Cameron should step up as UK Prime Minister and fight for the Union.

But in the Falklands, for Gib, for example the UK takes a neutral position: we will support the democratically expressed wishes of the local population.

Why should Scots have fewer rights than them?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

JackW said:

So you think that an opposition Labour back bencher should be put forward as the person to represent HMG on the debate over the dissolution of the union. Why not the only MP in Westminster or even the SoS as a sop.
    The Government and Cameron in particular are scared to debate the dissolution of the UK.
    Darling isn't representing HMG.

He is representing Better Together / all those Scots who want to remain in the union.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

JackW said:

Links?

would you like a wager on whether Yes will rise in the polls over the next 300 days
    Certainly! I've no doubt 'Yes' will rise in the polls over the next 332 days - indeed, post the SNP conference I expect it will get a bit of a boost. Whether that's enough to see 'Yes' over the finish line is another matter altogether.....

This discussion has been closed.