Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ken Clarke takes on the man who failed to get 48 CON MPs to su

13»

Comments

• Options
    TheoTheo Posts: 325
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

At least planes to the US won't be grounded next year... https://www.bbc.com/news/business-46380463

I shall be interested to see what happened with Heathrow slots: the US was demanding 12 transatlantic slots for its airlines, which would be a major negative for (ah hem) those of us doing regular flights.

My guess is that the UK government leaned on BAA, and gave up 8-10. I sincerely hope it's no more.
    US airlines are all terrible. They should be banned.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,253
    This thread is now OLD
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,253
    kle4 said:

Theresa's successor will surely have to ban the ERG and expel its members. This is a highly destructive yet highly organized entity with its own agenda and ideology. No one voted for it yet it wields extraordinary power as a parasite within the Tory party. It must be cut out.

Parties like to be broad churches of course. They like it too much, as it allows people clearly in a party that is heading in a completely opposite direction to one they think is best to pretend they belong. Oh well, all electoral systems have downsides, FPTP's is forcing such unholy alliances together.

More seriously, a split really would be a good thing. But that's a long wishes for dream among internet denizens, and parties find a way to avoid it at all costs. How they'll manage it if, somehow, the May deal passes I do not know - dozens of MPs will be facing having to support a government they just saw sell us into bondage or whatever the latest hyperbolic statement is. A crash out after a failed renegotiation seems less likely to have as significant an impact though, but not no impact.
    More likely the other way around. The first is purely political, and in the long term the ERGers are used to howling at the moon; indeed deep down it is what they enjoy and need. The second, if the economic consequences and disruption come to pass, is real, and a real world crisis will feed back very rapidly into our politics.
This discussion has been closed.