Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It looks as though third favourite, Bernie, will struggle to g

Comments

• Options

Clearly Clegg is readying himself for a 2024 Presidential run.

/s

Nick Clegg can win Texas.

Texas is a lot like Yorkshire.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

rkrkrk said:

Do you think Hilary Clinton was more liberal than Obama? And yet he crushed it in 2008 and 2012.

Ultimately Clinton was a flawed candidate with too much baggage. She was misadvised in the campaign and didn't have a positive enough message.

Obama wasn't running against Donald Trump.

I agree with your second paragraph.

The point I was making is very simple. The election will be decided in a few states, probably the usual ones: Colorado, Florida, Iowa, Michigan, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Wisconsin. If they want to win, the Dems need a clear focus on what policies, and which candidate, will appeal in those states, and especially to white 'middle-class' (in UK terms, working-class and white-van man) male voters in those states. Everyone else they need to win is already on board,
    That's simply not true, turnout amongst African Americans was badly, fatally, down on the Obama years.

Dems have turnout problems and need a candidate who can motivate turnout across an incredibly heterogenous set of voter demographics.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited October 2018

Top appointment.

In the rejoin referendum there'll be no Russian interference and lots of pro EU content thanks to Nick.
    Not to mention KERCHINGG!!! for Nick.

More sandals and gluten-free porridge than any LibDem can shake a stick* at.

*from a sustainable forest.
  • Options

Top appointment.

In the rejoin referendum there'll be no Russian interference and lots of pro EU content thanks to Nick.
    I wonder if Facebook know that he wrote this:

Because in a footloose, fancy-free world in which large multinational corporations can effectively pick and choose where they pay their taxes, huge questions of national sovereignty and fairness loom: if the big multinationals can minimise the tax they pay, who’s going to pay for the public services that their customers rely on?
    is it governments, working together, who retain the right to set the taxes that should be fairly paid? Or is it multinationals, capable of relocating for tax purposes from one place to the next, who set the pace?

https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comment/nick-clegg-why-brexit-the-junior-doctors-and-apple-tax-are-all-connected-a3337086.html
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    The Irish PM is now 'the vile Varadkar' according to DUP MP Sammy Wilson

https://mobile.twitter.com/SJAMcBride/status/1053204058201309186
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,667

/s

Sadly, even Trump could run a credible birther campaign against him, unless he can get Buckinghamshire recognised as the 51st State.

• Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

Top appointment.

I wonder if Facebook know that he wrote this:

Because in a footloose, fancy-free world in which large multinational corporations can effectively pick and choose where they pay their taxes, huge questions of national sovereignty and fairness loom: if the big multinationals can minimise the tax they pay, who’s going to pay for the public services that their customers rely on?
    is it governments, working together, who retain the right to set the taxes that should be fairly paid? Or is it multinationals, capable of relocating for tax purposes from one place to the next, who set the pace?

https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comment/nick-clegg-why-brexit-the-junior-doctors-and-apple-tax-are-all-connected-a3337086.html
    I'm sure they knew about it, and they probably figured having him on the payroll was a nice way of curtailing such inconvenient thoughts...
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,667
    HYUFD said:

The Irish PM is now 'the vile Varadkar' according to DUP MP Sammy Wilson

https://mobile.twitter.com/SJAMcBride/status/1053204058201309186

You'd think someone with a surname beginning with W would refrain from abusive alliteration, as it's liable to turn self-abusive...
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Nigelb said:

/s

Sadly, even Trump could run a credible birther campaign against him, unless he can get Buckinghamshire recognised as the 51st State.

I'm never quite sure how Trump got a free pass on that one given that he doesn't appear to be from the same planet, let alone the same country.
  • Options
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,009
    Pulpstar said:
    The ME number quoted in the article means they specifically trying to ban .50 BMG chambered weapons but something like a .416 Barret would still be permitted. The OB would still be seriously outgunned by a .416 which is a man killer out to 2,000+m. The stated motivation for the legislation just doesn't add up. I
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Scott_P said:
    Hasn't it been clearly established by the Bucanneers that car manufacturers know nothing about the car manufacturing business?

the car manufacturers just need to believe in brexit that bit harder....
    Is brexit why German automobile manufacturers are talking about huge problems ahead, including shedding 300k jobs?

• Options
    Coming across well on telly for an hour in 2010 has certainly paid off
  • Options
    Chairman of Toyota warns of 'suspended production operations' and logistics problems and falling revenues from a No Deal Brexit

https://mobile.twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1053242539468296192?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Floater said:

Scott_P said:
    Hope Faisal checked his facts this time - he has made some howlers over brexit claims recently.
    Well I have no idea about Faisal's track record, but in this tweet at least he has found something that we would all do well to take notice of.

"If no withdrawal agreement is reached and the transition period through December 2020 is consequently not implemented, corporate activities and consumers will be adversely affected by the impacts of suspended production activities resulting from failed just-in-time logistics operations, declines in revenue, and revised vehicle sales prices caused by spiralling logistics and production costs."

That is pretty strong language for the head of a trade association to be using.
  • Options

Five years as Deputy PM in a very good coalition probably helped more.
  • Options

To be fair, that's an hour longer than TM has so far managed.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,216
    Is May really going to be left to push us off a cliff come next March, as now seems inevitable? Is no-one going to intervene?

On an unrelated note, I see that Anjem Choudary has been released today on licence, half-way through his sentence. And yet he has resolutely refused to go on any deradicalisation programmes. I would have thought, given what he was convicted for, going on one of those programmes should have been a condition for early release.

Christ: our rulers really are useless!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,980
    I'll keep an eye out for him. Always wanted to ask about this AV thing...
  • Options
    Varadkar says May has privately conceded to him the backstop cannot have a time limit

https://mobile.twitter.com/Stone_SkyNews/status/1052969763532627969

So it looks like she just needs to get it through Parliament and the Deal is done
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Rachel Whetstone might have something to say about that.
  • Options
    JohnRussellJohnRussell Posts: 297
    edited October 2018

Yes, my point is he only got that gig on the back of not being Gordon Brown or a Tory in the debates. He subsequently sold his voters out on Tuition Fees in 2011, was torn to shreds by Farage in the 2014 Euro debate, led his party electoral destruction in 2015, lost a referendum in 16, lost his seat in 17. A real sliding doors career.
  • Options

Floater said:

Scott_P said:
    Hope Faisal checked his facts this time - he has made some howlers over brexit claims recently.
    Well I have no idea about Faisal's track record, but in this tweet at least he has found something that we would all do well to take notice of.

"If no withdrawal agreement is reached and the transition period through December 2020 is consequently not implemented, corporate activities and consumers will be adversely affected by the impacts of suspended production activities resulting from failed just-in-time logistics operations, declines in revenue, and revised vehicle sales prices caused by spiralling logistics and production costs."

Well, he probably feels it necessary to get it across to the dunderheads in government.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,082
    The rise of the Greens in Germany is astonishing. (Note the shadowed bars are the previous election result, not the previous poll.)

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

Is May really going to be left to push us off a cliff come next March, as now seems inevitable? Is no-one going to intervene?

On an unrelated note, I see that Anjem Choudary has been released today on licence, half-way through his sentence. And yet he has resolutely refused to go on any deradicalisation programmes. I would have thought, given what he was convicted for, going on one of those programmes should have been a condition for early release.

You forget that there's a lot of Leavers in the Tory party who prefer/want a no deal Brexit.

Some of them think moving to WTO will be a great boost for the country.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    The fact that Steve Hilton will be insanely jealous is a nice bonus for Clegg.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Varadkar says May has privately conceded to him the backstop cannot have a time limit

https://mobile.twitter.com/Stone_SkyNews/status/1052969763532627969

So it looks like she just needs to get it through Parliament and the Deal is done

I am getting the impression that May says whatever she thinks people want to hear or what will get her through the next half-hour, crisis, meeting or whatever. No wonder the EU, her own MPs and the DUP no longer trust her.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

The rise of the Greens in Germany is astonishing. (Note the shadowed bars are the previous election result, not the previous poll.)

Crossover by Christmas?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

His son attends a state academy in inner London, not a religious school but 100% Muslim, the UN have contacted them to warn it is a radicalisation hotspot...
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Do you think Hilary Clinton was more liberal than Obama? And yet he crushed it in 2008 and 2012.

Ultimately Clinton was a flawed candidate with too much baggage. She was misadvised in the campaign and didn't have a positive enough message.

Obama wasn't running against Donald Trump.

I agree with your second paragraph.

The point I was making is very simple. The election will be decided in a few states, probably the usual ones: Colorado, Florida, Iowa, Michigan, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Wisconsin. If they want to win, the Dems need a clear focus on what policies, and which candidate, will appeal in those states, and especially to white 'middle-class' (in UK terms, working-class and white-van man) male voters in those states. Everyone else they need to win is already on board,
    Just another point on 2016 battleground states...
    Trump won Ohio and Iowa by around 9 points, but won Arizona by 4 points and Georgia by 5 points. The map is shifting.
  • Options

Yes, my point is he only got that gig on the back of not being Gordon Brown or a Tory in the debates. He subsequently sold his voters out on Tuition Fees in 2011, was torn to shreds by Farage in the 2014 Euro debate, led his party electoral destruction in 2015, lost a referendum in 16, lost his seat in 17. A real sliding doors career.
    Yet there's polling out there that says the voters would take the coalition right now.

Lots of politicians have successful careers outside their homeland.

Clegg's gone to America, Enoch Powell went to Northern Ireland after being proven wrong about the black man having the whip hand over the English.
  • Options

The shift mainly SPD to Green.

SPD now trail Greens and AfD
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Mr. HYUFD, no time limit makes it worse than EU membership. We can't leave without their consent, we have to abide by EU rules, and concede to regulatory annexation of UK territory to appease a foreign power.

Capitulation, as predicted. We'll see whether the DUP/Conservative front- and backbenchers who stopped the nonsense before can do so again.

Worth recalling that Richard II was brought low by a coalition but managed to reduce it over time, establishing a new tyranny that would've endured had he not let Henry Bolingbroke slip his grasp.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Floater said:

Scott_P said:

Well, he probably feels it necessary to get it across to the dunderheads in government.
    Hopefully Archer might take note
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    This really is the darkest timeline.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

You forget that there's a lot of Leavers in the Tory party who prefer/want a no deal Brexit.

By “great boost” presumably they mean that there will be a great boost in the number of newspaper articles describing how Britain has cut itself off without any sort of deal or agreement on stuff like the import of food, medecines and the like, queues outside supermarkets, banks etc...? That sort of boost?
  • Options

Yet there's polling out there that says the voters would take the coalition right now.

Clegg's gone to America, Enoch Powell went to Northern Ireland after being proven wrong about the black man having the whip hand over the English.
    The point I am making is that he only got the job of Deputy PM via a sliding doors moment, and thereafter was an abject failure.

Do you think Enoch Powell considered Northern Ireland a foreign country?
  • Options
    Haha.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45911710

The foreign secretary said the "great strength" of other EU nations was that they had stayed united in the talks - and he urged Tories to do the same.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,709

More a sign of the hollowing out of the centre. Both the 'establisment' parties are losing hugely out.

The same would have happened in the UK if we didn't have FPTP
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    Scott_P said:
    poor Dave is persona non grata with international eleite
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

By “great boost” presumably they mean that there will be a great boost in the number of newspaper articles describing how Britain has cut itself off without any sort of deal or agreement on stuff like the import of food, medecines and the like, queues outside supermarkets, banks etc...? That sort of boost?
    Great economic boost.

I'm really looking forward to the Brexit equivalent of the Chilcot Report.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Great economic boost.

you;ll be dead before its published
  • Options
    Clegg as consigliere to President Zuckerberg, 2024?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,760
    HYUFD said:

A man who reveals the contents of a private conversation is to be trusted is he?

Leo is getting desperate.....
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

More a sign of the hollowing out of the centre. Both the 'establisment' parties are losing hugely out.

The same was happening in the UK, despite FPTP, until both main parties abandoned the centre ground.
  • Options
    Mr. P, very much not the case.

If the far left gain power (or the far right, but that's a more distant prospect) then that may change.
  • Options

The point I am making is that he only got the job of Deputy PM via a sliding doors moment, and thereafter was an abject failure.

That's not what I said.

As a Brummie with Welsh roots moving out of England and Great Britain to live in Northern Ireland is moving outside his homeland.

Another Powell Clegg comparison, both were eventually rejected by their voters.
  • Options

Mr. HYUFD, no time limit makes it worse than EU membership. We can't leave without their consent, we have to abide by EU rules, and concede to regulatory annexation of UK territory to appease a foreign power.

Capitulation, as predicted. We'll see whether the DUP/Conservative front- and backbenchers who stopped the nonsense before can do so again.

Worth recalling that Richard II was brought low by a coalition but managed to reduce it over time, establishing a new tyranny that would've endured had he not let Henry Bolingbroke slip his grasp.

The DUP and ERG will oppose it but Starmer made clear on QT last night Labour will back an untime limited backstop to protect the Good Friday Agreement, the LDs and SNP and Lucas will also back it so it should pass the Commons and Lords and we move to the Withdrawal Agreement and Transition Period.

The ERG will likely force a No Confidence vote in May, probably over 100 Tory MPs will vote against her but I think she will survive. Leadsom, McVey and Mourdaunt will all resign from the Cabinet most likely joining Boris and Davis and Patel as ex Cabinet Leavers on the backbencher leading opposition to May. The DUP will also still back the Tories on a No Confidence vote given McDonnell' s backing for a United Ireland this week.
  • Options
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Great economic boost.

I'm hoping to get a job on it.

Done something I've never done before.

Handed in my notice this morning without a job lined up.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

This really is the darkest timeline.

Seriously?

I can remember 3 day weeks and rolling black outs with TV shutting down at 7pm.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    SeanT said:

This is fun, isn't it?

Beats arguing about pasties.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Great economic boost.

What prompted that, if its not too personal a question?
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    poor Dave is persona non grata with international eleite
    He's not.

He was in San Francisco the other day.

https://twitter.com/David_Cameron/status/1050049445583364101
  • Options
    JohnRussellJohnRussell Posts: 297
    edited October 2018

That's not what I said.

As a Brummie with Welsh roots moving out of England and Great Britain to live in Northern Ireland is moving outside his homeland.

Another Powell Clegg comparison, both were eventually rejected by their voters.
    Whatever you say.

Nothing to do with the point I am making, however, that Clegg has built a whole career (of failure after failure) on an hours decent tv coverage.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Great economic boost.

The thought of spending most of next year and 2020 without seeing my kids on a daily basis was making me ill.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333

Cyclefree said:

Yes. They can't wait to fall under the auspices of a supra-national organisation setting the rules for its members' trading.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Great economic boost.

Wow brave move !

was it the prospect of Frankfurt ?

in any event wish you all the best in getting a new job quickly
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Anorak said:
    You know that 'in an alternative universe somewhere x has happened' trope. I think we are in that alternative universe.
  • Options

Wow brave move !

Thanks.

Was looking at my 2019 schedule and realised money isn't everything. I'd rather earn a little bit less and spend more time with the family.

I'm hoping to get a job with a UK based financial institution so I can spend the next 6 months on gardening leave.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930

Anorak said:
    You know that 'in an alternative universe somewhere x has happened' trope. I think we are in that alternative universe.
    Somewhere out there the alternate universe theory is being ruled out with Trump's presidency as a theoretical example of what could happen.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

HYUFD said:

A man who reveals the contents of a private conversation is to be trusted is he?

It's not often I agree with Sammy Wilson but he has a point.

"First of all he knows just how some of the republican madmen in NI will react to the false fears he is stirring up about barriers along the border. Indeed he knows that they will use them to influence stupid and easily led young people to join their ranks"

the only people stirring up the prospects of violence are Varadkar and Coveney
  • Options

HYUFD said:

"First of all he knows just how some of the republican madmen in NI will react to the false fears he is stirring up about barriers along the border. Indeed he knows that they will use them to influence stupid and easily led young people to join their ranks"

And Boris Johnson.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/leaked-boris-johnson-letter-brexit-hard-irish-border-2018-2/
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Wow brave move !

Thanks.

Was looking at my 2019 schedule and realised money isn't everything. I'd rather earn a little bit less and spend more time with the family.

I'm hoping to get a job with a UK based financial institution so I can spend the next 6 months on gardening leave.
    Good for you!

Perhaps a future thread on universal credit and how it affects work incentives of those returning to finance?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,329

Wow brave move !

Thanks.

Should you not have waited until the start of the world cup for your gardening leave?
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Great economic boost.

The thought of spending most of next year and 2020 without seeing my kids on a daily basis was making me ill.
    Hope you find something soon. V good decision.
  • Options

Mr Dancer, though I think it is likely you voted differently to me in the referendum, I always respect your thoughtful posts, which though sometimes I disagree with, are often insightful. Do you think now might be the time for the more thoughtful of Leavers to be asking whether the self-inflicted national humiliation that we are experiencing, and will continue to experience, is worth it?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

And Boris Johnson.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/leaked-boris-johnson-letter-brexit-hard-irish-border-2018-2/
    Ones a PM the other isnt go figure
  • Options

HYUFD said:

And Boris Johnson.

Where's the stirring up of the prospects of violence? Or does any border automatically mean violence these days?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Wow brave move !

Thanks.

Should you not have waited until the start of the world cup for your gardening leave?
    This is the only way I can get to be in England during for most of the world cup.
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

And Boris Johnson.

Where's the stirring up of the prospects of violence? Or does any border automatically mean violence these days?
    That's Wilson's argument. He says that Varadkar "knows just how some of the Republican madmen will react to the false fears he is stirring up about barriers along the border".
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Great economic boost.

If we get a Labour government I suspect it will be one of the first things they will initiate. It would be a great diversion from there own extraordinary incompetence. Each time any Conservative tries to say "You are screwing up the economy", Labour will just reply "Brexit". It will be an albatross of much greater weight and wingspan than Black Wednesday ever was
  • Options

What say you lads (and any lasses that may be lurking), acceptable or unacceptable face of capitalism? Since the face tried to slither off camera asap, he apparently may have a view on that himself.

https://twitter.com/spencerstokestv/status/1052981336288432128

So basically the interview was supposed to be about something else and the interviewer raises the bonus, end of interview.

Well, can't blame him for trying I suppose and a story about bricks would obviously hold limited interest. Stepping back a bit this seems to be a matter between the Persimmon shareholders and their chief exec. If they are happy what's it got to do with us?
  • Options
    The DUP join a meeting between the EU and the UK Gov. They take no shit.
    https://twitter.com/Peacharu_/status/1053039011307155456
  • Options
    DavidL said:

What say you lads (and any lasses that may be lurking), acceptable or unacceptable face of capitalism? Since the face tried to slither off camera asap, he apparently may have a view on that himself.

So basically the interview was supposed to be about something else and the interviewer raises the bonus, end of interview.

Well, can't blame him for trying I suppose and a story about bricks would obviously hold limited interest. Stepping back a bit this seems to be a matter between the Persimmon shareholders and their chief exec. If they are happy what's it got to do with us?
    Persimmon are one of the major beneficiaries of Osbornes lending scheme. Public money is boosting his remuneration.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

DavidL said:

Persimmon are one of the major beneficiaries of Osbornes lending scheme. Public money is boosting his remuneration.
    Agreed, but you can't blame them for taking the cash. The problem with this is that Labour can't really attack it because the Tories would just say "Labour don't care about building houses" etc.
  • Options

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

And Boris Johnson.

That's Wilson's argument. He says that Varadkar "knows just how some of the Republican madmen will react to the false fears he is stirring up about barriers along the border".
    Didn’t he literally tell an EU council meeting that a border would mean violence?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

Agreed, but you can't blame them for taking the cash. The problem with this is that Labour can't really attack it because the Tories would just say "Labour don't care about building houses" etc.
    I can blame his shareholders. Nonsense like this is discrediting capitalism, idiots like this are the route to a Corbyn government.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

And Boris Johnson.

I think the point you're missing is that the Good Friday Agreement which brought the violence (almost) to an end, was made easier by the fact that Eire and the UK were both in the EU.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

And Boris Johnson.

Didn’t he literally tell an EU council meeting that a border would mean violence?
    Wilson is saying it will too but he's using that argument to say that everyone should just ignore the problem.
  • Options

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

And Boris Johnson.

I think the point you're missing is that the Good Friday Agreement which brought the violence (almost) to an end, was made easier by the fact that Eire and the UK were both in the EU.
    no it was made because the IRA had lost the will to continue, Easier borders were simply an issue to help de escalate tensions. The EU had very little to do with it.
  • Options

Wow brave move !

Thanks.

Better get behind May for that Deal then!
  • Options

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

And Boris Johnson.

The EU is the only thing holding NI back from more bloodshed? OK.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

And Boris Johnson.

Wilson is saying it will too but he's using that argument to say that everyone should just ignore the problem.
    Now youre just talking nonsense.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Wow brave move !

Thanks.

This is the only way I can get to be in England during for most of the world cup.
    Well I wish you every success. You're right of course, there are several things that are far more important than money and kids are one of them.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Great economic boost.

Good call :+1:

A job is just a job and I am sure you can find something else to do, but your kids are only kids for a little while. Looking back, childhood is over in a flash.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Given May has capitulated on absolutely everything the EU have asked of her so far, hardly a surprise if she has capitulated on an untimelimited backstop for the Irish border either
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721

Greens leapfrogging AFD and SPD.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

And Boris Johnson.

The EU is the only thing holding NI back from more bloodshed? OK.
    It's also a floor wax and dessert topping.
  • Options

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

And Boris Johnson.

no it was made because the IRA had lost the will to continue, Easier borders were simply an issue to help de escalate tensions. The EU had very little to do with it.
    The "IRA" might have.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, hope you find something new, and enjoyable, soon.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    From the ONS report on borrowing this morning:

"Receipts in September 2018 increased by 3.2% compared with September 2017, to £56.4 billion, while total expenditure increased by 2.8% to £59.4 billion.

Much of the annual growth in receipts came from Value Added Tax (VAT), Income Tax and National Insurance contributions, while other taxes such as duties on both tobacco and Stamp Duty (on land and properties) have fallen marginally on September 2017."

I mean, what is it going to take for us to rebase our growth figures? Its getting silly.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

Persimmon can sell their dross for effectively above market value due to the Help to buy ;)
    I think they're also acknowledged as the worst of all the big housebuilders in terms of quality issues & lebensraum per person.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Eagles, you are now like a god to me. Well done. Good luck.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

And Boris Johnson.

The "IRA" might have.
    well as I have said to you before the paddy posh boys are playing with fire and they will eventually get their fingers burned. The Irish government is made up of blokes in their thirties who think they can do no wrong. Older heads would tell them not to poke the sleeping dogs.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

From the ONS report on borrowing this morning:

"Receipts in September 2018 increased by 3.2% compared with September 2017, to £56.4 billion, while total expenditure increased by 2.8% to £59.4 billion.

Much of the annual growth in receipts came from Value Added Tax (VAT), Income Tax and National Insurance contributions, while other taxes such as duties on both tobacco and Stamp Duty (on land and properties) have fallen marginally on September 2017."

I mean, what is it going to take for us to rebase our growth figures? Its getting silly.

VAT was a flow through. Not the others though
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Great economic boost.

Blimey. Congrats, I think.
This discussion has been closed.