Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The DUP are not as supportive of Brexit or as united as it mig

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    John_M said:

"Sir John Major has launched his most savage attack yet on Boris Johnson and Tory Brexiteers, claiming they will never be forgiven for their false promises"
    https://news.sky.com/story/john-major-rips-into-boris-johnson-and-fellow-brexiteers-saying-theyll-never-be-forgiven-11527629
    ... and they're not even the 'bastards'.

Being 'savaged' by John Major. Lol. Bless. I'm sure it will cause Johnson some not inconsiderable hurt.
    From his aching sides?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    Foxy said:

geoffw said:

The logic of Brexit is that there *must* be a customs/regulatory border in Ireland.

The logic of Brexit is that the Republic of Ireland finally becomes properly independent of the UK.
    Yes, all 32 counties.
    that always makes laugh. Ireland had no counties prior to english rule,
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

The EU is, perhaps unknowingly, guaranteeing that Britain will never rejoin the EU. This upsets me greatly.

A ‘no deal’ will simply lead to an unstoppable wave of resentment of the EU. It doesn’t matter if its unjustified.

It’s acting like a superpower rather than as a collection of nations.

I am/was an EU federalist but this whole escapade has really disappointed me.

I don't think it's by any means a given that the EU will blamed for a no deal. It has not been blamed for the difficulties in the negotiations so far - the evidence suggests that there has been something of a shift to remain, which is counter-intuitive as there is usually a shift of opinion toward the winner after an election or referendum.

And the utterly shambolic approach of the government will make it easy for the EU and remainers to blame the Tories. Which I fully expect them to do.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927
    Pulpstar said:

Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

Mr. Pulpstar, no need to worry, comrade. Once Comrade Corbyn is installed as chairman of the Cabinet Committee the Approve List of People's Reporters will ensure only those of impeccable truth-bearing credentials will be deemed worthy of informing the proletariat of Comrade Corbyn's wisdom.

Here's the worrying thing, James O'Brien is many things, but certainly NOT a Corbynista; I know it sounds like something that Momentum would come out with but this whole implicit deplatforming/wrongthink has gone beyond the hard left now.
    O'Brien divides the world into the good (left wing Europhiles) and the bad (everyone else).
    Yes, hence why I make the point that whilst he is many things, he isn't a Corbynite ;)
    He's a conspiracy theorist. He ought to be a Corbynista, but his views on the EU prevent him from being one.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,793

Foxy said:

SeanT said:

Foxy said:

SeanT said:

Foxy said:

SeanT said:

Jesus Christ. Why?? What do they gain dismembering him alive? Apart from some sadistic pleasure?

Killing him by itself is surely enough to frighten dissidents into silence. This just makes the Saudi regime look psychotic, worse than North Korea, and deserving of similar isolation.

Yet we still want to flog them bombs.

https://twitter.com/IsraaAlGhomgham/status/1051907856251772929?s=19

With friends like this, who needs enemies?

Any human with a soul

That's why we prop up the Saudi royals. Because the alternative, incredibly, is even WORSE.
    No it isn't. It is never worth propping up such a regime.
    Emotionally I agree with you. I despise Saudi Arabia. But look what's happened almost everywhere else in the Muslim world when autocrats have been toppled, either by their own people or with our "help".

Jihadists have moved in.

Saudi Arabia is the HQ of jihadism, the cradle of Waahabism. They are the only credible opposition to the royals. They would take over. And that WOULD be worse.

The best thing we can do is slowly wean ourselves off Middle Eastern oil (which we are doing) and pray that over time the fires ofworldwide jihadism simply burn out. I think they surely will (all things must pass) but it could take decades.
    The only realistic option to one Saudi prince is another Saudi prince. But western governments tread in a minefield if they get involved in palace coups there given the sensitivity of the control of Mecca and Medina.

I fully agree that becoming less reliant on ME oil is a big part of the answer - though that of itself may starve the tiger that the Saudi royals are riding.
    The whole House of Saud is rotten. A palace coup is not enough.
    That's easy to say (and may well be right). All the same, if you want to topple the House of Saud, you need to say what you want to replace it with, and how. To me, it's pretty damn clear that if the Saudi state loses control of the Peninsula, there's little that the Islamic extremists would love more than to occupy Mecca and establish their supposed new caliphate there. Good luck sorting that out.
    It's not for us to choose their successors, indeed it was rather foolish of us to put the House of Saud in control after WW1.

Our dismemberment of the Ottoman Empire left more than a few legacy issues!
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Cyclefree said:

Anyway off to the hospital to find out if I'll ever be able to raise my right arm ever again without pain. Wish me luck!!

Good luck!
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,601
    On the Irish point, can contributors help on this question: To what extent did the 'Remain' campaign make the point, before the referendum, that it was quite possible that the Irish border question might make many versions of 'Leave' impossible?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

The EU's position does seem a curious one though.

They say, quite rightly, that Britain chose Brexit and therefore things cannot be as they were when Britain was a member. It will be a third country and be in a less favourable position than it was before.

And yet at the same time it is saying that nothing must change in Ireland, that things must stay exactly as they were, as if Britain were still an EU member.

This really cannot be, can it. It's a prime example of cherry-picking, surely.

They are saying, as Simon Coveney said this morning, that NI is a special case and must be treated differently, even though the country of which it is an integral part, voted to leave. That seems to me absurd, though I understand why he says it and why the Irish do view NI as a special place.

But in effect he - and the EU - are saying that NI should be detached from Britain because this will benefit Ireland and the EU, regardless of the expressed wishes of Britain and, indeed, NI.

If NI voters were to agree to it, then fine. But that is not on offer though it might provide one way out of the impasse.

But then if that is a solution for NI, why not for Scotland or London or other areas which voted Remain?

If the integrity of the SM is inviolable then the integrity of the UK is also inviolable.

I see no way out, if Parliamentary arithmetic won't permit, other than either another referendum or a NI vote on whether the Barnier proposal is a runner.

But there is a risk that not only will this stir up passions in Ireland but that this is doing no good for any future British/EU relationship either.

It is a mess and I fear that our current government - or any possible alternative - is simply not up to the task of sorting it out.

Anyway off to the hospital to find out if I'll ever be able to raise my right arm ever again without pain. Wish me luck!!

I really hope the hospital helps you. Health is far more important than brexit. All the best
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Nigelb said:

SeanT said:

The best thing we can do is slowly wean ourselves off Middle Eastern oil (which we are doing) and pray that over time the fires ofworldwide jihadism simply burn out. I think they surely will (all things must pass) but it could take decades.

Are we? I thought I heard recently that global oil production hit a new high. I suppose that means Middle East oil is a lower percentage, but that's not the same as stopping to need to use it.

If we want to stop buying their oil (or Qatari gas) we have a lot to do.
    There is actually a reasonable argument in favour of fracking.

It is going to take a couple of decades to wean ourselves off fossil fuels, even with a massive government commitment to wind, solar and tidal power (which IF planned right, makes a great deal of economic sense).
    In the meantime we are better off morally and economically to be burning our own gas.
    My feeling is that fracking will delay any move away from fossil fuels. This means that one way or another we remain dependent on the Middle East, either directly or indirectly.
  • Options

Pro_Rata said:

Pulpstar said:

Mr. T, pour encourager les autres, I imagine.
    In unrelated news:
    https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1052557048716517377

Exciting times, Salvini-Conte-Di Maio are a popular trio in Italy, they have an absolute shit ton of domestic capital at their disposal.
    if thats so then it will be a bumpy ride to christmas
    I see a very significant chance that Italy rejects A50 extension.

They are quite prepared, indeed already have, gummed up EU business in defence of their own position and they would see this as a massive, massive lever.
    thats a fair point, Currently Italy is registered as heavily eurosceptic with only 44% of Italians wanting to stay in the EU. The government is increasing its polling with each fight with Brussels. Tipping the whole apple cart may be quite attractive.
    If not the Italians, then Viktor Orban's Hungary. For the shitz and giggles.
    I can see a much more lively EU Parlt,

I reckon we could have up to 40% of Brussels composed of anti establishment parties.

a shame were leaving in a way :-)
    We may not if many have their way
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    Cyclefree said:

They say, quite rightly, that Britain chose Brexit and therefore things cannot be as they were when Britain was a member. It will be a third country and be in a less favourable position than it was before.

And yet at the same time it is saying that nothing must change in Ireland, that things must stay exactly as they were, as if Britain were still an EU member.

They are saying, as Simon Coveney said this morning, that NI is a special case and must be treated differently, even though the country of which it is an integral part, voted to leave. That seems to me absurd, though I understand why he says it and why the Irish do view NI as a special place.

But in effect he - and the EU - are saying that NI should be detached from Britain because this will benefit Ireland and the EU, regardless of the expressed wishes of Britain and, indeed, NI.

If NI voters were to agree to it, then fine. But that is not on offer though it might provide one way out of the impasse.

But then if that is a solution for NI, why not for Scotland or London or other areas which voted Remain?

If the integrity of the SM is inviolable then the integrity of the UK is also inviolable.

I see no way out, if Parliamentary arithmetic won't permit, other than either another referendum or a NI vote on whether the Barnier proposal is a runner.

But there is a risk that not only will this stir up passions in Ireland but that this is doing no good for any future British/EU relationship either.

It is a mess and I fear that our current government - or any possible alternative - is simply not up to the task of sorting it out.

Good luck. There's an obvious Ken Livingstone joke in there which I will refrain from making.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Crimean college attack now being put down to gunshots rather than a bomb:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45891201
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986

Foxy said:

geoffw said:

The logic of Brexit is that there *must* be a customs/regulatory border in Ireland.

The logic of Brexit is that the Republic of Ireland finally becomes properly independent of the UK.
    Yes, all 32 counties.
    It looks like one of those things that should have been the case but actually isn't - I don't think there has... EVER been a single country or kingdom existing on the island of Ireland.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Good luck. I'm reminded of the Tommy Cooper joke. A man goes into the doctor and says "Doctor, it hurts when I put my hand up like this...."

To which the doctor replies:

"Don't do it then."

And Eric Morecambe: "I can do *this* with this arm, but I can't do *this* with that arm".

Good luck @Cyclefree
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,779
    Cyclefree said:

I won't say, break a leg. No really, maximum wish power over the internet that it is Ok
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

On the Irish point, can contributors help on this question: To what extent did the 'Remain' campaign make the point, before the referendum, that it was quite possible that the Irish border question might make many versions of 'Leave' impossible?

To quite a large extent. How many people cared? That's a different question.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

geoffw said:

Yes, all 32 counties.
    It looks like one of those things that should have been the case but actually isn't - I don't think there has... EVER been a single country or kingdom existing on the island of Ireland.
    It depends. There were High Kings of Ireland, but they did not exercise functional political power on the Island as a whole. Think EU president.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,420
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

SeanT said:

Foxy said:

SeanT said:

Foxy said:

<

Any human with a soul

That's why we prop up the Saudi royals. Because the alternative, incredibly, is even WORSE.
    Emotionally I agree with you. I despise Saudi Arabia. But look what's happened almost everywhere else in the Muslim world when autocrats have been toppled, either by their own people or with our "help".

Jihadists have moved in.

Saudi Arabia is the HQ of jihadism, the cradle of Waahabism. They are the only credible opposition to the royals. They would take over. And that WOULD be worse.

The only realistic option to one Saudi prince is another Saudi prince. But western governments tread in a minefield if they get involved in palace coups there given the sensitivity of the control of Mecca and Medina.

I fully agree that becoming less reliant on ME oil is a big part of the answer - though that of itself may starve the tiger that the Saudi royals are riding.
    That's easy to say (and may well be right). All the same, if you want to topple the House of Saud, you need to say what you want to replace it with, and how. To me, it's pretty damn clear that if the Saudi state loses control of the Peninsula, there's little that the Islamic extremists would love more than to occupy Mecca and establish their supposed new caliphate there. Good luck sorting that out.
    It's not for us to choose their successors, indeed it was rather foolish of us to put the House of Saud in control after WW1.

Yes, if you connive in the toppling of a regime then it is absolutely your responsibility to do your best to put in place a replacement that is more stable, effective and friendly than what went before - otherwise you should not be engaging in regime change.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

SeanT said:

Are we? I thought I heard recently that global oil production hit a new high. I suppose that means Middle East oil is a lower percentage, but that's not the same as stopping to need to use it.

If we want to stop buying their oil (or Qatari gas) we have a lot to do.
    There is actually a reasonable argument in favour of fracking.

It is going to take a couple of decades to wean ourselves off fossil fuels, even with a massive government commitment to wind, solar and tidal power (which IF planned right, makes a great deal of economic sense).
    In the meantime we are better off morally and economically to be burning our own gas.
    Using gas for electricity generation is better for the environment than coal. We will need oil for fertiliser production and plastic feedstock
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

SeanT said:

Foxy said:

SeanT said:

Foxy said:

<

Any human with a soul

Jihadists have moved in.

Yes, if you connive in the toppling of a regime then it is absolutely your responsibility to do your best to put in place a replacement that is more stable, effective and friendly than what went before - otherwise you should not be engaging in regime change.
    The rule of thumb in the Middle East is that bad gets replaced by worse.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

geoffw said:

Yes, all 32 counties.
    Looking back it seems you could make an argument for it being the case pre 1171... though its a bit like England pre-Alfred the Great with all the various Kingdoms of Leinster, Connacht, Munster..
  • Options
    Can we discuss the comma in the final sentence.

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1052213711295930368?s=21
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176

Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

geoffw said:

Yes, all 32 counties.
    It depends. There were High Kings of Ireland, but they did not exercise functional political power on the Island as a whole. Think EU president.
    Which one?

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

geoffw said:

Yes, all 32 counties.
    Historically, the Romans recorded Ireland had 16 kingdoms - Mr Dancer probably has the details to hand.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,889
    Cyclefree said:

The EU view seems to be that while we have to leave our departure cannot be seen to be disadvantageous to a particular EU member. It's our choice to leave, it wasn't the ROI's choice and they cannot be seen to suffer any consequences as a result of our leaving.

We therefore need a solution which reflects the fact of our departure from the EU's economic and political embrace but at the same time does not in any time affect or impinge on Ireland's continuing membership of and adherence to the EU and SM hence the idea (which seems perfectly reasonable to the EU) of an economic status for NI which maintains that of the EU (thereby not affecting the Republic).

Unfortunately, that bumps up against our Union and its economic and political structures.

We seem completely blind on "our precious Union" and seem (in some cases) to be willing to go over the cliff of a "No Deal" departure in order to safeguard said Union rather than seek a deal which may weaken the Union but not the rest of the UK economically.

Paris was reportedly not worth a mass, what is Belfast worth or not worth?
  • Options

I think it is correct.
  • Options
    archer101auarcher101au Posts: 1,612

RobD said:

Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

I think Varadkar, for one, would be very badly damaged by No Deal. Perhaps unfairly, but it would be a terrible outcome for Ireland, that happened on his watch, and that is never a good thing for any leader. He would get blamed (as well as the Brits and Brussels).

There was an interesting moment on the Today programme this morning when Simon Coveney was asked the obvious question: Wouldn't No Deal mean exactly the hard border you are trying to avoid? He seemed flummoxed by it.
    I was half asleep when that interview was on. He seemed a bit hysterical. Would that be fair?
    He started off quite well, but couldn't really handle questions about the logical inconsistency of the Irish/EU position.
    Which boils down to “don’t put up a hard border or we’ll put up a hard border”.
    The Irish/EU position is entirely consistent. They don't want to legitimise a hard border through agreement. One that emerges through the absence of agreement has not been legitimised by them.

Whether you think that is a wise position is a different matter, but it is based on principle.
    If the UK and Ireland refuse a border is the EU going to build their own wall
    Well I would absolutely love to see that, and the look on Varadkar's face. But it will never happen. WTO rules no not, contrary to Topping's comment, require a 'hard border'.

They require the ability to manage customs and regulatory checks and these could be managed by a technology based border. The WTO does not have prescriptive rules on what is required nor on exactly how effective it needs to be - as long as declarations are made and there is an enforcement mechanism, it complies. The WTO already have exemptions for special situations.

One of my suggestions is that May says to the EU that we need to appoint the WTO as 'referee' to scope the requirements of the soft border and conclude when it meets WTO rules.

Of course, the EU won't agree as it will solve the problem and May won't agree because it would lead to CETA. Which basically shows neither party is being remotely honest about the NI border and what they are trying to achieve.
  • Options
    Mrs C, the Romans hated the Irish. It's why they refused to invade, so Ireland wouldn't have any Roman ruin tourist attractions millennia later.

[My vague memory is that it was determined Ireland didn't have anything valuable enough to warrant invasion, and Britain was already being a pain in the arse, requiring three legions to Iberia's one, despite being smaller].
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    Merkel being shown on Sky saying that a good deal is needed and the German Car Association reached out to her today.
    Well who would have thought it.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I think it is correct.
    As a fan of the Oxford comma, I'm calling this the Freudian comma.

He should have written 'this is a total con'.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,727

Pulpstar said:

So we're all agreed we should get fracking to reduce dependency on the Middle East?

No. Perhaps we ***UGH*** and this cuts deeply into my soul... need to get on with the hideously expensive Hinkley Point and other overpriced nuclear facilities whilst we develop the capability to build them ourselves for a reasonable price once more.
    That and renewables.
    Between the Saudis, fracking and Hinkley point I'm afraid it has to be Hinkley though.
    This Government should be beaten around the head on a daily basis with an inflated puffer fish, until they agree to pursue a series of tidal barrages.....
    Agreed, but isn't there something heavier, harder and with more spikes than a puffer fish?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618

Ada Lovelace is the face of a campaign about women in STEM - she's probably better known now than she has been in a long time

Whether or not she ought to be known as “the first computer programmer,” her program was specified with a degree of rigor that far surpassed anything that came before.

In many ways her insight was utterly remarkable:

She foresaw that a computing machine's fundamental relations could be expressed by those of the abstract science of operations and therefore should be also be manipulable by adaptations to the action of the operating notation and mechanism of the machine. She was the first person to use branches, loops and subroutines in a program. She was the first person to realise the full scope of what might be computable, given the necessary resources.

In that sense she stumbled across the idea of the universal Turing machine a whole *century* before Turing did.

That has got to be worth commemorating.
    FPT - absolutely agree. What Turing achieved was immense because of the effect it had on the war. In terms of discovery, Ada Lovelace was well ahead of her time.

It would be great to see her get some proper recognition. Also given her gambling problems being on the £50 would be fitting.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, what do you think of the Walken comma, and the Shatner comma?

[NB I am available as a proofread].

https://twitter.com/SuperApple80/status/921004071452102658
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, what do you think of the Walken comma, and the Shatner comma?

[NB I am available as a proofread].

https://twitter.com/SuperApple80/status/921004071452102658

I'm a huge fan of the Oxford comma and WIlliam Shatner, and, his, comma.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

Good luck. There's an obvious Ken Livingstone joke in there which I will refrain from making.
    I'm sure Ken is trying to get in touch with Cycle free now and tell her about another person who liked raising his right arm.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

I'm sure Ken is trying to get in touch with Cycle free now and tell her about another person who liked raising his right arm.
    The famous Zionist?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,060
    edited October 2018
    The United States is pulling out of the Universal Postal Union.

For those who don't who or what the UPU is, here's a nice video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHhkNwE7pr8
  • Options
    edited October 2018

RobD said:

Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

I think Varadkar, for one, would be very badly damaged by No Deal. Perhaps unfairly, but it would be a terrible outcome for Ireland, that happened on his watch, and that is never a good thing for any leader. He would get blamed (as well as the Brits and Brussels).

There was an interesting moment on the Today programme this morning when Simon Coveney was asked the obvious question: Wouldn't No Deal mean exactly the hard border you are trying to avoid? He seemed flummoxed by it.
    I was half asleep when that interview was on. He seemed a bit hysterical. Would that be fair?
    He started off quite well, but couldn't really handle questions about the logical inconsistency of the Irish/EU position.
    Which boils down to “don’t put up a hard border or we’ll put up a hard border”.
    The Irr, but it is based on principle.
    If the UK and Ireland refuse a border is the EU going to build their own wall
    Well I would absolutely love to see that, and the look on Varadkar's face. But it will never happen. WTO rules no not, contrary to Topping's comment, require a 'hard border'.

They require the ability to manage customs and regulatory checks and these could be managed by a technology based border. The WTO does not have prescriptive rules on what is required nor on exactly how effective it needs to be - as long as declarations are made and there is an enforcement mechanism, it complies. The WTO already have exemptions for special situations.

One of my suggestions is that May says to the EU that we need to appoint the WTO as 'referee' to scope the requirements of the soft border and conclude when it meets WTO rules.

Of course, the EU won't agree as it will solve the problem and May won't agree because it would lead to CETA. Which basically shows neither party is being remotely honest about the NI border and what they are trying to achieve.
    You haven't been paying attention. Unlike you, being such a keen details man. Or perhaps you have yet to have your first coffee of the day.

As I have said many times, WTO rules don't mandate a border. But if, for example, we allowed unfettered access to EU products across the NI border, another WTO member could raise a dispute under WTO MFN terms objecting to the fact that we were offering special rules to the EU and not to them. As such, if the dispute were to be upheld, we would either have to offer unfettered access to the claimant (and others) or institute a "hard" border for everyone.
  • Options

Pro_Rata said:

Pulpstar said:

In unrelated news:

Exciting times, Salvini-Conte-Di Maio are a popular trio in Italy, they have an absolute shit ton of domestic capital at their disposal.

They are quite prepared, indeed already have, gummed up EU business in defence of their own position and they would see this as a massive, massive lever.
    thats a fair point, Currently Italy is registered as heavily eurosceptic with only 44% of Italians wanting to stay in the EU. The government is increasing its polling with each fight with Brussels. Tipping the whole apple cart may be quite attractive.
    That poll is weird, though. 65% of Italians want Italy to be a member of the Eurozone, and 44% want them to be in the EU.

I want to see what set of questions, in what order, led to those answers.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

Pulpstar said:

So we're all agreed we should get fracking to reduce dependency on the Middle East?

No. Perhaps we ***UGH*** and this cuts deeply into my soul... need to get on with the hideously expensive Hinkley Point and other overpriced nuclear facilities whilst we develop the capability to build them ourselves for a reasonable price once more.
    That and renewables.
    Between the Saudis, fracking and Hinkley point I'm afraid it has to be Hinkley though.
    This Government should be beaten around the head on a daily basis with an inflated puffer fish, until they agree to pursue a series of tidal barrages.....
    Agreed, but isn't there something heavier, harder and with more spikes than a puffer fish?
    Personally, I'd have used a selection of lion fish, electric eels and a marlin - but their services are required by the Saudi Govt.

Wot - too soon?
  • Options
    Mr. 1000, that's quite the poll result.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Mrs C, the Romans hated the Irish. It's why they refused to invade, so Ireland wouldn't have any Roman ruin tourist attractions millennia later.

We had the vikings to make up for it. Round Towers etc...

[My vague memory is that it was determined Ireland didn't have anything valuable enough to warrant invasion, and Britain was already being a pain in the arse, requiring three legions to Iberia's one, despite being smaller].

Sounds fairly normal - for both parts of the British Isles :)
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Ada Lovelace is the face of a campaign about women in STEM - she's probably better known now than she has been in a long time

Whether or not she ought to be known as “the first computer programmer,” her program was specified with a degree of rigor that far surpassed anything that came before.

She foresaw that a computing machine's fundamental relations could be expressed by those of the abstract science of operations and therefore should be also be manipulable by adaptations to the action of the operating notation and mechanism of the machine. She was the first person to use branches, loops and subroutines in a program. She was the first person to realise the full scope of what might be computable, given the necessary resources.

In that sense she stumbled across the idea of the universal Turing machine a whole *century* before Turing did.

FPT - absolutely agree. What Turing achieved was immense because of the effect it had on the war. In terms of discovery, Ada Lovelace was well ahead of her time.

It would be great to see her get some proper recognition. Also given her gambling problems being on the £50 would be fitting.
    I read earlier the complete wiki entry for Frank Whittle - another amazing person.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Pulpstar said:

That and renewables.
    Morningstars?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morning_star_(weapon)
  • Options
    Mrs C, the Vikings weren't choosy. Scotland, England, Ireland, Wales, they'd go anywhere.

Didn't leave buildings as nice, but they did found a couple of good settlements for you.

Experience in Caledonia might've put off the Romans too. Too many tribes, no central authority for proper submissions (and not enough shiny stuff in the ground to warrant the expense).
  • Options

Not completely true:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drumanagh
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,670
    edited October 2018
    TOPPING said:

RobD said:

Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

You haven't been paying attention. Unlike you, being such a keen details man. Or perhaps you have yet to have your first coffee of the day.

As I have said many times, WTO rules don't mandate a border. But if, for example, we allowed unfettered access to EU products across the NI border, another WTO member could raise a dispute under WTO MFN terms objecting to the fact that we were offering special rules to the EU and not to them. As such, if the dispute were to be upheld, we would either have to offer unfettered access to the claimant (and others) or institute a "hard" border for everyone.
    I'm not sure if I am missing something regarding the 'technology solution' but doesn't this still require some physical checks at the border as otherwise it is pointless. It will simply mean that those who comply are ok and those that don't just swan across merrily anyway.

I'm thinking of my days of using carnets. In those days they were filled in manually. With technology it will be filled in on a computer and the customs officer will see it on his computer when I arrive, but he will still stop me to check and if past experience is to go by he will find something wrong and hold me up while I have to answer boring questions before waving me on.

If I just swan straight through with no checks I can break any rules I like. So you still need checks.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    MaxPB said:

Whilst that is true, AIUI (and I would love to be corrected) her discoveries were a dead-end: they did not lead to more thinking and progress. Instead, they were re-discovered by others later in other contexts.

In this way, it's a bit like how Henry Cavendish discovered many things such as Ohm's law or Dalton's Law. But because he didn't publicise it, others later made the same discoveries and got the fame.

I'm fully in favour of Lovelace being commemorated. I'm just unsure her contribution is as important as people make out.

In fact, let's put Henry Cavendish on the £50. I'm sure James Clerk Maxwell would approve. :)
  • Options
    kjh said:

I'm not sure if I am missing something regarding the 'technology solution' but doesn't this still require some physical checks at the border as otherwise it is pointless. It will simply mean that those who comply are ok and those that don't just swan across merrily anyway.

I'm thinking of my days of using carnets. In those days they were filled in manually. With technology it will be filled in on a computer and the customs office will see it on his computer when I arrive, but he will still stop me to check and if past experience is to go by he will find something wrong and hold me up while I have to answer boring questions before waving me on.

If I just swan straight through what was the point of the forms anyway - there were no checks.

That of course is the nub of the "technology solution" and why it is so often bandied around as a panacea with examples from elsewhere (all of which, as you note, however, have checks at the border). If there is some kind of technology, trusted trader, totally invisible, no checks whatsoever type of solution....bring it on!
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, the summary at the top suggests it might have been a trading post.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pro_Rata said:

Pulpstar said:

In unrelated news:

That poll is weird, though. 65% of Italians want Italy to be a member of the Eurozone, and 44% want them to be in the EU.

I suppose in theory one could be outside the EU but using Euros as one's currency.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHhkNwE7pr8

Looks like a remarkably enduring international setup, persisting even between warring nations since the mid 19th century !
  • Options
    Mr. F, about as mad as leaving the UK and using the pound ;)
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,670

MaxPB said:

Whilst that is true, AIUI (and I would love to be corrected) her discoveries were a dead-end: they did not lead to more thinking and progress. Instead, they were re-discovered by others later in other contexts.

In this way, it's a bit like how Henry Cavendish discovered many things such as Ohm's law or Dalton's Law. But because he didn't publicise it, others later made the same discoveries and got the fame.

I'm fully in favour of Lovelace being commemorated. I'm just unsure her contribution is as important as people make out.

In fact, let's put Henry Cavendish on the £50. I'm sure James Clerk Maxwell would approve. :)
    As part of my maths degree I studied Turing Machines. Now I'm showing my age here, but I think it is fair to say that most people would never have heard of him then. The disclosure of his work during the war and subsequent treatment expanded that group enormously.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited October 2018
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Looks like a remarkably enduring international setup, persisting even between warring nations since the mid 19th century !But not proof from the Donald, who wants to, ahem, deliver a message to the Chinese, and stamp his authority on the trade situation .

My work here is done. I don't ring twice...
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Pro_Rata said:

Pulpstar said:

In unrelated news:

I suppose in theory one could be outside the EU but using Euros as one's currency.
    Having a stable currency is attractive, having your budget dictated by Brussels and Berlin... less so. Using the € and being outside the eurozone is the ultimate cake and eat it scenario.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    rcs1000 said:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHhkNwE7pr8

That is actually an interesting video.

So, are your fellow Americans going to resort to sticking stamps on their envelopes for every country the letter must pass through?

It seems like an insane decision on Trump's part but ....... err... oops! Silly me :D
  • Options
    Mrs C, I do wonder what the reasoning* behind the decision is.

International messages, most notably embassies from one nation/city to another, being protected is one of the oldest cross-cultural customs. (Not always followed, of course. Messengers sometimes got their heads lopped off).

*Definitions may vary.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Pro_Rata said:

Pulpstar said:

In unrelated news:

Montenegro do exactly this. It bugs the hell out of Brussels.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061

Mrs C, I do wonder what the reasoning* behind the decision is.

International messages, most notably embassies from one nation/city to another, being protected is one of the oldest cross-cultural customs. (Not always followed, of course. Messengers sometimes got their heads lopped off).

*Definitions may vary.

Every letter we get from Turkey comes in an envelope from the Royal Mail, saying that it has been opened before they get their hands on it. This even happens to letters sent to my parents.

Oddly, this doesn't happen when the government send a letter asking to vote for them in the elections.

It's almost as though we're on a list somewhere... ;)
  • Options
    Keeping the UK together is more important than Brexit.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

So, are your fellow Americans going to resort to sticking stamps on their envelopes for every country the letter must pass through?

It seems like an insane decision on Trump's part but ....... err... oops! Silly me :D
    It's just Trump "stamping" his authority :lol:
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

rcs1000 said:

It's just Trump "stamping" his authority :lol:
    Much too slow, my friend. Much too slow. Second class, even.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Pro_Rata said:

Pulpstar said:

In unrelated news:

Montenegro do exactly this. It bugs the hell out of Brussels.
    Andorra, Monaco, San Marino and the Vatican also use the Euro. Kosovo also uses the Euro, but as with Montenegro, it's a unilateral thing.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited October 2018
    Oops typo

Is it really more important?
  • Options
    Democrats to get majority in the House of Representatives:

fivethirtyeight.com: 83.6% (Classic model) or 76% (Polls-only model).

Betfair price to back: 1.51

DYOR
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Looks like a remarkably enduring international setup, persisting even between warring nations since the mid 19th century !But not proof from the Donald, who wants to, ahem, deliver a message to the Chinese, and stamp his authority on the trade situation .

I must be frank, you beat me :(
  • Options
    So if Im following this correctly the EU will reject Italys budget as it breaks the rules and will start proceedings against it, France also will breach EU budget guidelines but wont get prosecuted
  • Options

Oops typo

Yes it is.
  • Options
    Mr. Brooke, that's impossible. There's no cherry-picking.
  • Options

Anorak said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

I must be frank, you beat me :(
    Philately will get you nowhere, Sunil.
  • Options

Oops typo

Yes it is.
    Are you attending this weekend's Pleb's People's Vote rally?
  • Options

Mr. Brooke, that's impossible. There's no cherry-picking.

some animals are more equal than others
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,563
    edited October 2018

So if Im following this correctly the EU will reject Italys budget as it breaks the rules and will start proceedings against it, France also will breach EU budget guidelines but wont get prosecuted

As Jean Claude Juncker put it in the 2016 EU gives budget leeway to France 'because it is France'
  • Options
    Mr. Brooke, just so, comrade.

[Reached the late 1930s in the Stalin book. It really is reminiscent of Animal Farm or 1984, only history rather than fiction. Bloody disturbing].
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    stodge said:

Cyclefree said:

The EU view seems to be that while we have to leave our departure cannot be seen to be disadvantageous to a particular EU member. It's our choice to leave, it wasn't the ROI's choice and they cannot be seen to suffer any consequences as a result of our leaving.

We therefore need a solution which reflects the fact of our departure from the EU's economic and political embrace but at the same time does not in any time affect or impinge on Ireland's continuing membership of and adherence to the EU and SM hence the idea (which seems perfectly reasonable to the EU) of an economic status for NI which maintains that of the EU (thereby not affecting the Republic).

Unfortunately, that bumps up against our Union and its economic and political structures.

We seem completely blind on "our precious Union" and seem (in some cases) to be willing to go over the cliff of a "No Deal" departure in order to safeguard said Union rather than seek a deal which may weaken the Union but not the rest of the UK economically.

Paris was reportedly not worth a mass, what is Belfast worth or not worth?
    My inner pedant compels me to point out that Paris was indeed worth a mass.
  • Options

DYOR

Not research as much as possibly faulty memory... but didn’t they have Hilary a 1.01 shot?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Pro_Rata said:

Pulpstar said:

In unrelated news:

You can indeed. But it would probably be the worst of all possible worlds for Italy.
  • Options

DYOR

Not research as much as possibly faulty memory... but didn’t they have Hilary a 1.01 shot?
    No, they had her on something like a 65% to 70% shot (and got a lot of criticism for it at the time). There were some other models which did as you say have her as a virtual certainty.
  • Options

Oops typo

Yes it is.
    What I can't get my head round is why are they holding it in London yet again? Why not hold it in Birmingham or Manchester?
  • Options

DYOR

Faulty memory.

Their final projection gave Hillary Clinton a 71.4% chance.

The highest they had her chances was around 88%

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/
  • Options

That is correct. There is some legal rationale to it, as the rules are much more prescriptive for those who have debt-to-GDP above 100%.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

Oops typo

Yes it is.
    What I can't get my head round is why are they holding it in London yet again? Why not hold it in Birmingham or Manchester?
    Where? The provinces? Darling, they care, but not that much!
  • Options

As Jean Claude Juncker put it in the 2016 EU gives budget leeway to France 'because it is France'
    which is why I want out of the damned thing. Its run in the interests of a handful of states
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Oops typo

Yes it is.
    What are Birmingham and Manchester? Never heard of them.
  • Options

Oops typo

Yes it is.
    They've had a few events in Stockport and Manchester recently.

Have been a few in Leeds as well.
  • Options

which is why I want out of the damned thing. Its run in the interests of a handful of states
    Just remember a bad Brexit might well see us sign up to the Euro as part of Rejoining cost.

How are you going to feel then?
  • Options

Just remember a bad Brexit might well see us sign up to the Euro as part of Rejoining cost.

How are you going to feel then?
    Ill think were effing mad. However I will respect the vote.
  • Options

Oops typo

Yes it is.
    Probably not as I have other commitments. How about you?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    edited October 2018

Oops typo

Yes it is.
    They don't like the Away crowds....they smell...donchaknow?
  • Options

DYOR

No, they had her on something like a 65% to 70% shot (and got a lot of criticism for it at the time). There were some other models which did as you say have her as a virtual certainty.
    Ah yes it was Nate Silver of 538 who rebuffed the 99% claim not made it

https://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/nate-silver-huffington-post-polls-twitter-230815
  • Options

DYOR

Yes, 538 got a huge amount of stick for NOT showing it as a Hillary certainty. Their 2:1 shot on Donald Trump looks a pretty good forecast compared to... absolutely everybody else.
  • Options

Oops typo

Yes it is.
    I'm not a supporter of another referendum.

The original decision must be respected and implemented, it isn't like the voters weren't warned Leaving the EU might be bad for the UK economy and destroy the United Kingdom.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,412
    edited October 2018

Oops typo

Yes it is.
    I'm not a supporter of another referendum.

The original decision must be respected and implemented, it isn't like the voters weren't warned Leaving the EU might be bad for the UK economy and destroy the United Kingdom.
    Me? Are you kidding? Hey, I was with you all the time! That was beautiful! Did you see the way they fell into our trap? Ha ha!
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047

Mr. Brooke, just so, comrade.

[Reached the late 1930s in the Stalin book. It really is reminiscent of Animal Farm or 1984, only history rather than fiction. Bloody disturbing].

Read We by Yevgeny Zamyatin. Published 1919 and you'll see where Orwell and Huxley got there ideas from.
This discussion has been closed.