Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Who will be the face of the new £50 note?

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    kle4 said:

Do they even have many £50s in circulation anymore? Feels like any large purchase would be by card for most.

Don't you care about the backs of our hard pressed drug dealers? £100k in £20 notes is heavy and bulky. I am sure a new £50 note will be much appreciated.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    kle4 said:

stodge said:

Morning all :)

I quite like the idea of Charlie Chaplin so we can all think of £50 notes as "funny money".

I've never actually seen any Charlie Chaplin - is his stuff still actually funny, or is it one of those things that has not aged well, like the first seasons of The Simpsons?
    I’ve never found him funny. Too sentimental and forced for me. Laurel and Hardy still make me laugh though.
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    edited October 2018
    Ishmael_Z said:

University of Essex? LOL, might as well gone for another dump like Oxford.

https://twitter.com/MailOnline/status/1052496703750893569

Ah, good old p-hacking. The academic fraud of choice of the true charlatan academic or the tenured old shitbag who just wants to troll Twitter until he retires.
    Your attacks on puce faced gammons would work better if you didn't sound so puce faced about everything yourself.
    I'm not angry, just disappointed.

Anyway, I didn't read the "study" but just imagine having the fucking gall to claim you have anything useful to deduce from a sample size of 14.

Calling it p-hacking is to frankly oversell quite how zero-effort this particular academic fraud is.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,031

Most of the Colossus machines were quite literally smashed up on Churchill's direct orders. I do not think that claim is controversial. A couple were said to have been retained by GCHQ for espionage purposes.

Ah, you're changing your position - you're now saying 'most of'. And a couple *were* retained for over a decade.

But remember:
    *) Colossus's tech was old and a dead-end. Many of the people involved went on to work on its immediate successors in the private sector (e.g. Newman et al). Some Colossus parts even went with him to Manchester. Hence the government contributed to our early lead in privaste-sector computing.
    *) The tech was changing so rapidly that Colossus rapidly became outdated.
    *) There was less need for decryption once Germany and Japan had been defeated. WHy keep 12 machines?

You are utterly wrong.

An interesting question is what replaced Colossus at GCHQ. I've never read what computers they used after - and if the two Colossus's left were kept for training, what they training *for*?
    I am right and if anyone else on pb cares, they can see for themselves.
    You said: "We are all proud the British Government did so much to throw away our lead in computing -- persecuting Turing, smashing up the Colossus, suppressing public key encryption (which is the foundation of web commerce)."

As I've shown, none of that did anything to 'throw away our lead in computing."

You are wrong in fact, and in conclusion.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,115
    edited October 2018
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

Do they even have many £50s in circulation anymore? Feels like any large purchase would be by card for most.

Don't you care about the backs of our hard pressed drug dealers? £100k in £20 notes is heavy and bulky. I am sure a new £50 note will be much appreciated.
    As ever, Scots way ahead of the game with £100 notes. The dealers have never had it so good, tragically.
  • Options
    Nick Clegg... why is he considered of any importance rather than an abject failure?

He came across well on telly for an hour in Spring 2010, ok...

In 2011 he sold out his voters by reneging on his party's flagship policy, in 2014 he was bested by Nigel Farage in the Euro debate, in 2015 he led his party to near wipeout, in 2016 he played a prominent role in losing the referendum, then in 2017 he got booted out of Sheffield by the least impressive MP ever to take a seat in the HofC

• Options
    AndyJS said:

Does anyone else think there's something slightly strange about a culture or country which simultaneously attempts to wipe out tobacco smoking while enthusiastically legalising cannabis smoking?

Has any serious research been done about the carcinogenic effect of cannabis? I struggle to see why it should be less carcinogenic than tobacco, especially as it is normally smoked without a filter.

Obviously the main focus has been on the mental health aspects of usage, especially for teenage boys, but I do wonder if the other effects are being overlooked.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,775

This is old news surely? I'm sure I read this years ago.
    Me too, on cracked.com IIRC.

TOPPING said:

I don't think there should be another referendum. People change their minds all the time and there is no mid-term GE following any particular set of polls against the prevailing status quo.

You know what annoys me about a PV? It's the implicit assumption that the political class may simply declare themselves unable to do their job, and demand we rescue them from their ignominy.

It is not the electorate's job to save the government from the holes they have dug for themselves. It is the electorate's job to dig holes and then push governments in.
    Voting for Brexit, then watching the political class run around like headless chickens for 2 years before telling them to forget it could be thought of as the ultimate way to teach them a lesson.
    Electorate: We demand this impossible thing
    Unwisely-ingratiating PM: Of course, impossible thing MEANS impossible thing.
    Reality: This is impossible
    Unwisely-ingratiating PM: Nothing has changed. Impossible thing means impossible thing means impossible thing
    Reality: Nope, still impossible.
    Unwisely-ingratiating PM: Nothing has changed. The ball is in reality's court.
    Reality: You know, maybe there's no point talking to you.
    Unwisely-ingratiating PM: Nothing has changed.
    Unwisely-ingratiating PM: Hello?
    Unwisely-ingratiating PM: Is this thing on?
    Unwisely-ingratiating PM: ...
    Unwisely-ingratiating PM: Hey electorate, have you got a second?
    Amusing, but there's nothing impossible about Brexit, only Brexit without any cost, which of course too many unwisely promised and too many unwisely believed. But Brexit itself is not impossible, even if a deal is very hard (on current parliamentary numbers at least - a moderate majority would likely have only small problems getting something through, but that is not the world we live in)
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    I wonder if Big_G has any comment to make? ;)

"A man had his car seized and destroyed while he was in hospital after "maladministration" by a council ... The owner of the BMW, referred to as Mr G, paid £14,000 for the British racing green car in 2004 and spent £2,500 on a new engine and braking system."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-45879154
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Off-topic:

I see an Hitachi's Class 802 has caused chaos outside Paddington this morning.

Hitachi rail really aren't having a very good year ...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-45885867

(This might be slightly unfair to Hitachi if NR's mucked up. But I'd bet on Hitachi given the fact they can't seem to design trains to spec...)

PM for you.
    Thanks. Have replied.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,169
    Cyclefree said:

How about Joseph Conrad? A great writer, unquestionably of the first rank, and a nod towards the many contributions that immigrants have made to this country.

If a scientist is called for, James Clerk Maxwell would be a great choice.

I’ve always found him unreadable and thought him one of those authors who was much admired but never actually read.

Handel would be my choice. A great musician and also a nod to the contribution of immigrants.
    Händel, to appease the Germans (they claim "unser Shakespear" as theirs).
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Amusing, but there's nothing impossible about Brexit, only Brexit without any cost, which of course too many unwisely promised and too many unwisely believed. But Brexit itself is not impossible, even if a deal is very hard (on current parliamentary numbers at least - a moderate majority would likely have only small problems getting something through, but that is not the world we live in)

I think it's been obvious to everybody (modulo Tessie M) that the most the UK government can possibly offer is nowhere near the minimum the EU will accept.

That fact that everybody except May can see this is the primary causal nexus of the tragicomic farce unfolding this week.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Nick Clegg... why is he considered of any importance rather than an abject failure?

In 2011 he sold out his voters by reneging on his party's flagship policy, in 2014 he was bested by Nigel Farage in the Euro debate, in 2015 he led his party to near wipeout, in 2016 he played a prominent role in losing the referendum, then in 2017 he got booted out of Sheffield by the least impressive MP ever to take a seat in the HofC

He was deputy Prime Minister for five years. Whether you like him or not, he is of importance.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

AndyJS said:

Does anyone else think there's something slightly strange about a culture or country which simultaneously attempts to wipe out tobacco smoking while enthusiastically legalising cannabis smoking?

Has any serious research been done about the carcinogenic effect of cannabis? I struggle to see why it should be less carcinogenic than tobacco, especially as it is normally smoked without a filter.

Obviously the main focus has been on the mental health aspects of usage, especially for teenage boys, but I do wonder if the other effects are being overlooked.
    Why is it normally smoked without a filter? I am not a smoker (of either) but I assume because its generally rolled up and not pre-manufactured. I would assume legally manufactured and distributed cannabis cigarettes might include a filter?
  • Options
    edited October 2018

"A man had his car seized and destroyed while he was in hospital after "maladministration" by a council ... The owner of the BMW, referred to as Mr G, paid £14,000 for the British racing green car in 2004 and spent £2,500 on a new engine and braking system."

Most notable in that story for me is that the Council's own investigation into the complaint must have cleared them, since it ended up going to the Ombudsman, so not content with cocking up the council either couldn't even tell it had cocked up or tried to cover up it had cocked up.

I may be wrong, but Mr G does not strike me as a flashy car driver.
  • Options

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

As ever, Scots way ahead of the game with £100 notes. The dealers have never had it so good, tragically.
    The English don't have £100 notes? Didn't know that.

Our drug problem is beyond tragic in so many ways.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,249

Most of the Colossus machines were quite literally smashed up on Churchill's direct orders. I do not think that claim is controversial. A couple were said to have been retained by GCHQ for espionage purposes.

Ah, you're changing your position - you're now saying 'most of'. And a couple *were* retained for over a decade.

But remember:
    *) Colossus's tech was old and a dead-end. Many of the people involved went on to work on its immediate successors in the private sector (e.g. Newman et al). Some Colossus parts even went with him to Manchester. Hence the government contributed to our early lead in privaste-sector computing.
    *) The tech was changing so rapidly that Colossus rapidly became outdated.
    *) There was less need for decryption once Germany and Japan had been defeated. WHy keep 12 machines?

You are utterly wrong.

An interesting question is what replaced Colossus at GCHQ. I've never read what computers they used after - and if the two Colossus's left were kept for training, what they training *for*?
    I am right and if anyone else on pb cares, they can see for themselves.
    copeland et al in the book 'colossus' say two survived and moved to cheltnham. the final one is believed to have stopped running in 1960.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,115
    edited October 2018
    DavidL said:

AndyJS said:

I guess volume would be the main factor. While there may be folk that consume 40 blunts a day 7 days a week, I'd guess that they're very much in the minority of dope smokers.
  • Options

kle4 said:

I think it's been obvious to everybody (modulo Tessie M) that the most the UK government can possibly offer is nowhere near the minimum the EU will accept.

That's true, but it doesn't make Brexit impossible.
  • Options

He was deputy Prime Minister for five years. Whether you like him or not, he is of importance.
    I don’t dislike him, but what did he do other than not be Gordon Brown or a Tory on the first debate? That show is responsible for everything that followed, and it turns out he was useless.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721
    kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

I don't think there should be another referendum. People change their minds all the time and there is no mid-term GE following any particular set of polls against the prevailing status quo.

You know what annoys me about a PV? It's the implicit assumption that the political class may simply declare themselves unable to do their job, and demand we rescue them from their ignominy.

It is not the electorate's job to save the government from the holes they have dug for themselves. It is the electorate's job to dig holes and then push governments in.
    Voting for Brexit, then watching the political class run around like headless chickens for 2 years before telling them to forget it could be thought of as the ultimate way to teach them a lesson.
    Unwisely-ingratiating PM: Nothing has changed. Impossible thing means impossible thing means impossible thing
    Not impossible, just a very bad idea sold as an easy good idea.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

What is someone to do in Edinburgh during the day on the 5th of November?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,856
    Pulpstar said:

Blair's part in Brexit verges on cultural tragedy, not using the very tools the EU itself gave us to give the simplest veneer and varnish of control to our immigration policy in the early 2000s was probably the biggest driver of the leave vote !

That's the benefit of 20/20 or even 20/18 hindsight. Did anyone really have any idea how any migrants would come to the UK in 2004? The Civil Service at the time thought a few thousand at most. They were wrong - the problem is in our system the Minister who takes the advice is accountable for its success or failure not the civil servant who formulated the advice in the first place.

At the time the economy was moving well and remembering the disaster of the Lawson boom which was undermined by a shortage of labour which triggered wage inflation, the option of relieving that pressure via the importing of a small amount of cheap skilled foreign labour must have looked attractive.

As with many decisions which can be ridiculed with hindsight, at the time it didn't seem a bad idea though the experience of the depopulation of the former GDR after 1990 should have sounded an alarm or two but migration within a country and migration across hundreds of miles might not have been considered similar. The truth is pe0ople have always gone to the money.

• Options
    edited October 2018

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

Not impossible, just a very bad idea sold as an easy good idea.
    Well, reasonable people can hold different views on how bad an idea it was, but yes it was sold as an easy idea and that was wrong. But the joke was it, generally, was impossible, when only people's expectations of it are impossible.
  • Options

DavidL said:

AndyJS said:

I guess volume would be the main factor. While there may be folk that consume 40 blunts a day 7 days a week, I'd guess that they're very much in the minority of dope smokers.
    Yes I wondered about that. Anyone taking cannabis 40 times a day is going to have to be very fortunate to worry about cancer. Still, the lack of filters in reefers would make a big difference.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    kle4 said:

Most notable in that story for me is that the Council's own investigation into the complaint must have cleared them, since it ended up going to the Ombudsman, so not content with cocking up the council either couldn't even tell it had cocked up or tried to cover up it had cocked up.

I may be wrong, but Mr G does not strike me as a flashy car driver.
    He did get a bit worked up last week about cars after someone told him he should not own a car. As I recall he mentioned that he had been in hospital recently.

Just a coincidence. Obviously.... :D
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

By Brexit I mean the cake Brexit. The "all the benefits, zero cost" magic Brexit.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Can I just remind some of the less intelligent of our political journalists that there's no such thing as being "close to a deal"?

The expression "nothing is agreed till everything is agreed" exists for a fucking reason.

The draft text is "85% agreed".

All that remains is to agree the other 85%.

And then the final 85%.
  • Options
    O/T the ECB try to explain why they are trying to play cricket in Sri Lanaka's monsoon season:

"In respect of touring Sri Lanka at this time of year," says @EnglandCricket. "The Future Tours Programme is congested involving 13 Boards whose schedules all interconnect, so there are unfortunately a number of tours that have to take place outside prime match-staging periods."

Not much of an explanation is it?
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

By Brexit I mean the cake Brexit. The "all the benefits, zero cost" magic Brexit.
    It's not magic. Besides we had the debate at the time and were warned (very vocally) by the government, opposition, grandees like Blair et al, business groups etc that Brexit would come at a cost. So what's new?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

O/T the ECB try to explain why they are trying to play cricket in Sri Lanaka's monsoon season:

"In respect of touring Sri Lanka at this time of year," says @EnglandCricket. "The Future Tours Programme is congested involving 13 Boards whose schedules all interconnect, so there are unfortunately a number of tours that have to take place outside prime match-staging periods."

You missed the next bit.

"After hosting England, Sri Lanka spend the rest of the 18-19 season touring New Zealand, Australia & South Africa. They play their first match in New Zealand on Dec 8, which left very little wriggle room given our final Test in Sri Lanka finishes on Nov 29."
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Translation: We knew we'd not get much Cricket in, but we have to at least pretend the matches will go ahead.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

And tax evaders running cash businesses.
  • Options

DavidL said:

AndyJS said:

Why is it normally smoked without a filter? I am not a smoker (of either) but I assume because its generally rolled up and not pre-manufactured. I would assume legally manufactured and distributed cannabis cigarettes might include a filter?
    You can get filters for roll ups but it's a hell of a faff. I'm not sure if the cardboard roach in the average joint has any diluting qualities.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Too many still promising it now of course.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Yes, Brexit is not simply a synonym for leaving the EU. Brexit means Brexit.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

And tax evaders running cash businesses.
    Indeed. So many deserving causes. I think Arthur Daley should be given serious consideration.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Yes, Brexit is not simply a synonym for leaving the EU.
    That depends how you use it.
  • Options

DavidL said:

AndyJS said:

You can get filters for roll ups but it's a hell of a faff. I'm not sure if the cardboard roach in the average joint has any diluting qualities.
    That's my point. Currently you only get roll ups because its illegal.

If its legalised then presumably you might be able to buy pre-rolled and manufactured stuff just like buying a packet of Benson and Hedges or comparable. In which case quality issues like filters etc might be addressed. Isn't that part of the logic of legalisation?

Again IANAE.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

You could take a trip out to Muirhouse and wave bundles of £50 notes at the locals.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

Blow up the Parliament Building.
  • Options
    Alan Turing is now the 8/1 favourite with Ladbrokes.

My tips and threads move markets.
  • Options

DavidL said:

You missed the next bit.

"After hosting England, Sri Lanka spend the rest of the 18-19 season touring New Zealand, Australia & South Africa. They play their first match in New Zealand on Dec 8, which left very little wriggle room given our final Test in Sri Lanka finishes on Nov 29."
    Well they are not getting much of a warm up. Looks like no play again today. The test matches are going to be a joke.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

You could take a trip out to Muirhouse and wave bundles of £50 notes at the locals.
    I'm planning to do this during my three day romantic weekend stay in February, as well as visit the castle.
  • Options
    I think it's obvious what should be on the £50

• Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,945
    edited October 2018

I really have unleashed the Two Minutes Hate with that last question.

As the Leave project founders on the rock of reality, you would have thought that it might be time for Leavers to reflect on how they might have sought to build a consensus rather than ram through majoritarian extremism. But it seems that time has yet to arrive.

The people you cited were responsible for Brexit. They rammed through the majoritarian extremism of mass immigration without consensus, and when it was sought via the referendum, the truth emerged that it there was none
    Wasn’t even majoritarian.

It was niche extremism of the globalist/no borders/easy welfare kind.

Corporatist Europhile Welfarism was a successful political model in the boom time that followed the Cold War. But I don’t think it ever had a majority.

• Options
    What about Jade Goody (pbuh) racially abusing Shilpa Shetty for the fifty?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    edited October 2018
    Much as I'd like the idea, Mrs. Thatcher would be far too contentious.

Nelson would be a good choice.

Edit: Actually, make it Sir Winston Churchill, given how much Woke Americans hate him.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

I'm planning to do this during my three day romantic weekend stay in February, as well as visit the castle.
    More seriously the 'Rip it Up, The Story of Scottish Pop' show at the National Museum of Scotland is worth a look.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

More seriously the 'Rip it Up, The Story of Scottish Pop' show at the National Museum of Scotland is worth a look.
    Ta.
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

It's not magic. Besides we had the debate at the time and were warned (very vocally) by the government, opposition, grandees like Blair et al, business groups etc that Brexit would come at a cost. So what's new?
    Yes, and pity Hammond wbo has to budget for 65,000,000 free unicorns.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,472
    edited October 2018
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

You missed the next bit.

Well they are not getting much of a warm up. Looks like no play again today. The test matches are going to be a joke.
    The scheduling next summer really has annoyed me.

The Ashes following the World Cup.

Just how large do the ECB think my holiday allowance is?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Edit: Actually, make it Sir Winston Churchill, given how much Woke Americans hate him.
    Nelson? Fuel to the fire

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/aug/22/toppling-statues-nelsons-column-should-be-next-slavery
  • Options
    Fenman said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

If Hammond were to stand up at the budget and promise 65,000,000 free unicorns Corbyn would consider it an outrage that we are only getting one free unicorn each and pledge 3 free unicorns to everyone.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

Nelson? Fuel to the fire

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/aug/22/toppling-statues-nelsons-column-should-be-next-slavery
    All the better
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    Mr. kle4, Nelson on notes would be slapping snowflakes across the face with the large haddock of common sense :D
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

You missed the next bit.

Cricket tour of Sri Lanka during the monsoon season?

Who thought that was a good idea?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    There’s been an explosion at a college in Crimea that was first reported as a gas explosion but Interfax is now saying was a bomb.
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047

He had the courage to put the nation's interests first at a time of tremendous economic dislocation at a considerable cost to himself and his party.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,680
    Sean_F said:

Actually, make it Sir Winston Churchill, given how much Woke Americans hate him.
    He's been on the fiver for two years.....
  • Options
    Suggestion: whenever we put a problematic person on a banknote, the Queen on the other side should be making a face of stern disapproval, perhaps holding a sign saying "We are not amused by slavery/genocide/whatever"
  • Options
    Inflation down by more than expected to 2.4%: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45886791

Means the 3.1% increase in wages was even further ahead in real terms than previously thought.

Despite Brexit, no doubt.
  • Options
    How about putting Edward Longshanks and his motto on the new £50 note, especially if Scotland votes to secede.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,755
    As I pointed out before the flip side of this should have the DUP voting in spades

if the trap is to keep the UK in the EU via an Ireland border trap, then a United Ireland cant happen,. The moment NI goes so does the UK so the EU have to tell the paddies to desist.

Surprised Arlene isnt wrapping this up in legalities for ever.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

You missed the next bit.

And are you not going to be wasting your time in Germany by then? We have yet to choose our fixtures for next year but I always like to get an ODI and a couple of days of a test.
  • Options
    Fenman said:

He had the courage to put the nation's interests first at a time of tremendous economic dislocation at a considerable cost to himself and his party.
    I agree and the coalition was a good government
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited October 2018
    Fenman said:

Considerable cost to himself?

He was elevated from obscure third party politician who only gets attention when the media needs to show the third party to being the most meaningful deputy Prime Minister that post has ever had, key part of the 'quad' that authorised all government actions, member of the cabinet, ministerial limo, pay increase and attention that has allowed him to generate personal wealth from public speaking etc afterwards.

He may have cost his party, he may have cost his colleagues their jobs, but not himself.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

You missed the next bit.

And are you not going to be wasting your time in Germany by then? We have yet to choose our fixtures for next year but I always like to get an ODI and a couple of days of a test.
    I'm definitely going to the Headingley Test next August, and the odd WC match.
  • Options
    Fenman said:

I agree. One of the many positives of the Coalition government is that it never became really obvious how critical the situation was.
  • Options

Your tips keep Shadsy in clover
  • Options

Your tips keep Shadsy in clover
    Well my 33/1 tip on Amber Rudd as next out of cabinet and the 33/1 and 16/1 on Javid being her successor didn't.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

You missed the next bit.

You're getting confused. We only just had the World Cup. The next event is the Euros in 2020.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Turing seems a good bet, Lovelace at 50/1 also seems very good value.

Picking Khan because that dimwit Dan Snow has started a campaign smacks of tokenism, and I don't expect The Bank of England to go down that route.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Just seen this thread. A few comments - apologies if I'm duplicating others.

Don't back Attlee - politicians rarely feature. Churchill is the only PM ever to appear on a BoE banknote as such (Wellington doesn't count as his premierships were an incidental postscript to a military career). On the same basis, steer clear of other politicians.

That goes for Thatcher too, and while there'll probably be support for a woman to be on the £50 (which'd give a 2-2 balance across the four notes, both before and after Turner replaces Adam Smith on the £20), Thatcher is far too recent, as well as far too controversial.

The BoE have never chosen anyone who's been dead less than 50 years (Churchill has the shortest span from death through to appearing on a note: 51 years from 1965 to 2016), and only three have appeared within a century of their deaths (Nightingale and Elgar are the other two). On that basis, rule out Hawking too.

Engineers and scientists however are historically popular choices with the BoE. Of those on the list, Ada Lovelace ticks a lot of boxes. At 50/1, she's the best value there.

By contrast, worthy though the campaign for Noor Inayat Khan is, her contribution is notable much more for her background than her consequences: there were many other heroes and heorines of WW2, never mind other wars, and to award her to such a high accolade is, ultimately, an act of tokenism which should be resisted.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

You missed the next bit.

I'm definitely going to the Headingley Test next August, and the odd WC match.
    I did Headingley twice last year and despite the very drunk dancing cow on the western terraces it was fun but I want to get back to the Oval. It's just the best place to watch cricket in England (Durham being second in my opinion).
  • Options
    Paddington Station closed since early this morning until at least lunchtime. No trains in or out including the Heathrow Express and passenger chaos and anger. Overhead line failures. Time to nationalise.

But , the fault is the nationalised Network Rail, not the train companies.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

You missed the next bit.

You're getting confused. We only just had the World Cup. The next event is the Euros in 2020.
    The real world cup

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Cricket_World_Cup
  • Options

How about putting Edward Longshanks and his motto on the new £50 note, especially if Scotland votes to secede.

With the motto "Edwardus Primus Rex, Malleus Scrotorum."
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

MaxPB said:

Logically, it should be Turing. No shadow of a doubt.

But I'm a computer science graduate, so probably biased.

I'd rather they pick Ada Lovelace. If we go down the computing road, that is.
    Happy for that. Her contribution is less, although still very important. But as someone said down thread, not so many have heard of her.

Although, I'm not so sure why having heard of them makes a great deal of difference on the £50. Most people never see one.
    Two of the last three to appear on a £50 were John Houblon and Matthew Boulton. being well-known doesn't seem to be that big a bar.
  • Options

The Daily Mail seem to have Hetero and Homo reversed on the diagrams compared with the normal claim.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721
    "Jeremy Corbyn facing claim he congratulated Leave campaign on 'good work' while publicly opposing Brexit"
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-corbyn-support-leave-campaign-brexit-remain-congratulate-claims-a8587181.html

Is anybody surprised?
  • Options
    Incidentally, The Witcher 3's paid DLCs are, I think, half price in the UK until the end of today. Discovered by chance yesterday (not getting them myself, due to time constraints).
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205

Fenman said:

He was elevated from obscure third party politician who only gets attention when the media needs to show the third party to being the most meaningful deputy Prime Minister that post has ever had, key part of the 'quad' that authorised all government actions, member of the cabinet, ministerial limo, pay increase and attention that has allowed him to generate personal wealth from public speaking etc afterwards.

He may have cost his party, he may have cost his colleagues their jobs, but not himself.
    I agree that in joining the coalition he did the right thing and that government now seems like a golden age.

But after he was humiliated in that debate on the EU by Farage why didn’t he and Cameron realise that they had to do more - very much more - if they were going to persuade people of the EU’s value to Britain? That was a red flag that all was not well and it seems to have been ignored. Sadly, complacency and hubris killed his and Cameron’s political careers.
  • Options
    Miss Cyclefree, I suspect Cameron and Clegg had their own real life echo chambers on the EU. Odd, though, considering UKIP's rise.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,283
    edited October 2018
    Cyclefree said:

Fenman said:

I agree that in joining the coalition he did the right thing and that government now seems like a golden age.

But after he was humiliated in that debate on the EU by Farage why didn’t he and Cameron realise that they had to do more - very much more - if they were going to persuade people of the EU’s value to Britain? That was a red flag that all was not well and it seems to have been ignored. Sadly, complacency and hubris killed his and Cameron’s political careers.
    Clegg urged Cammo in private not to do it, and was very aware of the risks. We got where we are the due to the internal strife within the Tories. And Cammo's hubris.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,722
    edited October 2018
    There is an interesting point buried in that thread. The threat to the DUP position isn't so much the presence of the EU--NI backstop as the absence of a UK-NI one. In other words the real threat to the NI status quo that benefits the DUP position isn't so much NI being tied into the EU as the UK diverging from it over time and without reference to Northern Ireland.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Logically, it should be Turing. No shadow of a doubt.

But I'm a computer science graduate, so probably biased.

I'd rather they pick Ada Lovelace. If we go down the computing road, that is.
    Happy for that. Her contribution is less, although still very important. But as someone said down thread, not so many have heard of her.

Although, I'm not so sure why having heard of them makes a great deal of difference on the £50. Most people never see one.
    Two of the last three to appear on a £50 were John Houblon and Matthew Boulton. being well-known doesn't seem to be that big a bar.
    Ada Lovelace is the face of a campaign about women in STEM - she's probably better known now than she has been in a long time
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited October 2018

Fenman said:

By forming a coalition with the Conservatives, the Lib Dems (led by Clegg) steered the UK out of economic collapse so that we have the full employment and manageable deficit we have today. Of course the electorate normally fails to show gratitude (eg Churchchill kicked out post the war).
  • Options
    What has Corbyn got on his lapel?
  • Options
    Mr. Z, hammer and sickle? An "I Heart Stalin" badge?
  • Options

Paddington Station closed since early this morning until at least lunchtime. No trains in or out including the Heathrow Express and passenger chaos and anger. Overhead line failures. Time to nationalise.

But , the fault is the nationalised Network Rail, not the train companies.

It may not be Network Rail's fault. It was an Hitachi Class 802, and Hitachi are having trouble with all their new trains in the UK. From brake and window problems with the 385's in Scotland, to the fact that the Azuma units on the ECML cannot operate due to signalling issues and physical safety issues (though the signalling issues are common with new stock).

E.g.: https://www.railmagazine.com/news/network/cover-story-azumas-on-hold-orr-suspends-approval-for-lner-ieps-yet-great-western-ieps-remain-in-use

It's a mess. The train were forced on TOC's by the DfT. I fail to see how renationalisation will fix that sort of governmental muck-up.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    "Downing Street confirms the PM will have three bilateral meetings in Brussels to make her case to key players before tonight’s dinner - Donald Tusk, Jean-Claude Juncker and Leo Varadkar."

That's three times the number opportunities for the tin-eared autist to provoke another Salzburg-style bully-ramming.

We are fucked.

May's "nothing has changed" on Friday after the EU put the boot in and walk away is going to be beautiful in a tragic, dadaist way.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

The Breast Cancer Awareness symbol.

Is Breast Cancer Awareness month.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

The Breast Cancer Awareness symbol.

Is Breast Cancer Awareness month.
    ta
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,283

Fenman said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

If Hammond were to stand up at the budget and promise 65,000,000 free unicorns Corbyn would consider it an outrage that we are only getting one free unicorn each and pledge 3 free unicorns to everyone.
    Then after the election we would find it meant sharing our unicorn with over 20 million others....
This discussion has been closed.