Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » To add to the current incendiary political mix Bercow is comin

1235»

Comments

• Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    O/T:
    Anyone have experience of medication for generalized anxiety and panic?
    All of the options available on the NHS look abominable (either effective but ruinous for your sex life, or potentially dangerous...)
  • Options
    archer101auarcher101au Posts: 1,612

I think the EU can see precisely what the issue is. If May finally tells the ERG and the DUP their game is up she will get a huge amount of support from the EU27.

You can't seem to see what the issue is - it is not the ERG or DUP - the Cabinet simply won't agree the NI backstop regardless of the trade deal. Neither will Parliament. I know that you have been able to blame everything on the evil Brexiteers for the last two years, but you need to move with the circumstances - the EU are demanding something that simply cannot be delivered by anyone in the UK. It is their fault.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Anorak said:

Imagine the lols. Twitter would burn out in a flare of indignation and spittle.
    https://www.change.org/p/bank-of-england-margaret-thatcher-for-the-face-of-the-new-50-note

The arch-monetarist, always up for controlling the money supply, to be on our highest denomination note. :lol:
    Controlling the money supply has rather gone out of fashion.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Pulpstar said:

On the other hand, the costs of *not* combating climate change and the wider environment (both direct and obvious, such as rising sea levels, and indirect, such as health effects of a poor environment), should also be on the ledger, countering the costs of combatting climate change. There is no obvious counter in terraforming Mars.

Article IX of the outer space treaty says "Hi"
    Seems to me that was signed because of the current limitation of technology, rather than due to some commitment to preserving the neutrality of space.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,010
    Pulpstar said:

On the other hand, the costs of *not* combating climate change and the wider environment (both direct and obvious, such as rising sea levels, and indirect, such as health effects of a poor environment), should also be on the ledger, countering the costs of combatting climate change. There is no obvious counter in terraforming Mars.

Article IX of the outer space treaty says "Hi".

The counter to terraforming Mars is that it might not be possible, or probably is, but won't be on any human lifetime timescale.
    That's not quite what I meant, but yes.
    Politics. :)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Freggles said:

O/T:
    All of the options available on the NHS look abominable (either effective but ruinous for your sex life, or potentially dangerous...)

Sertraline seems to double up as an appetite suppressant... Best of luck, CBT may help.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,722
    Danny565 said:

This is probably a stupid question, but what is stopping the government signing up to a "permanent" backstop now, but then backsliding on that a few years down the line if they wanted? What legal mechanism/recourse would the EU have to force the UK to keep to their side of the agreement?

Good question, not a stupid one. There will be international arbitration built into the treaty . It would also trash the entire UK EU relationship. The EU would also have influence over third parties and their relationship with us. It's not something you would do lightly.

The key points about Brexit are that the UK can't do without a close relationship with the EU, that relationship will be on the EU's terms. The EU isn't interested in a partnership of equals.

If the EU wants a NI backstop we will give to them. If not this year, by next year. Anyone who doesn't like that shouldn't have voted Leave.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

The counter to terraforming Mars is that it might not be possible, or probably is, but won't be on any human lifetime timescale.
    I have posited in the NASA Spaceflight forum that the Soyuz anomaly will probably delay the Commercial Crew timeline longer than any Russian flight schedule ;)
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942

I think the EU can see precisely what the issue is. If May finally tells the ERG and the DUP their game is up she will get a huge amount of support from the EU27.

You can't seem to see what the issue is - it is not the ERG or DUP - the Cabinet simply won't agree the NI backstop regardless of the trade deal. Neither will Parliament. I know that you have been able to blame everything on the evil Brexiteers for the last two years, but you need to move with the circumstances - the EU are demanding something that simply cannot be delivered by anyone in the UK. It is their fault.
    There are two options now:

- EU caves on backstop
    - UK leaves without a formal deal, mitigated with lots of side deals.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    tpfkar said:

So, May keeps this shambles previously known as Her Majesty's Government on the road for another day.

Pathetic.

Quite some achievement in fact. But even though the patient remains alive, is there any meaningful quality of life / government?
    Well, let me see. We have a record high for employment, the lowest unemployment for about 40 years, a rapidly falling deficit, a (slowly) improving balance of payments, real wage growth, rapid house construction, improving investment, low inflation, growth picking up, what was it you were looking for, exactly?
  • Options
    sealo0sealo0 Posts: 48
    HI

"BBC Breaking News

Bercow calls for independent body to examine Commons bullying claims"

Another can Another road

Mike
  • Options
    DavidL said:

tpfkar said:

So, May keeps this shambles previously known as Her Majesty's Government on the road for another day.

Pathetic.

Quite some achievement in fact. But even though the patient remains alive, is there any meaningful quality of life / government?
    Well, let me see. We have a record high for employment, the lowest unemployment for about 40 years, a rapidly falling deficit, a (slowly) improving balance of payments, real wage growth, rapid house construction, improving investment, low inflation, growth picking up, what was it you were looking for, exactly?
    Unrestricted sizes for pineapple pizza and weekly lectures on AV. :p
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970
    Freggles said:

O/T:

Yes. Have taken a number, and am married to a Mental Health professional. Unfortunately have to go out now but PM me if you want and I will try my best to help. Best wishes.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    RobD said:

DavidL said:

tpfkar said:

Pathetic.

Well fair enough. This may not be the government you were looking for then.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,678
    Yikes! James Durridge MP, quoting Cox, just asked the Leader of the House how we can “discourage the Speaker from bullying and aggressive behaviour?”
  • Options
    FF43 said:

It seems to the thing nowadays to make a totally false assertion and then denounce those with other opinions or actual facts as liars. And then for people to post these false assertions and libels without comment as the presumed truth.
    Do feel free to post the relevant clauses from the December agreement which say NI must stay in the CU and SM.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    This thread is now OLD
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,010
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

I have posited in the NASA Spaceflight forum that the Soyuz anomaly will probably delay the Commercial Crew timeline longer than any Russian flight schedule ;)
    I'm afraid you might easily be correct on that.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

This thread is now OLD

It’s currently LIVE in the HoC...
  • Options
    RobD said:

DavidL said:

tpfkar said:

Pathetic.

War on terrorPizza.

https://twitter.com/foxandfriends/status/1051070697911570439
  • Options
    Freggles said:

O/T:

My wife and family have had episodes of anxiety and panic over many years and have received counselling and medication. After trying various medication citalopram seemed to achieve the balance and they take continous daily doses and it is very successful

However, there is no silver bullet and can take a long time until the correct medication and dose is arrived at.

I hope this helps and there is no need to despair, just recognise the problem and that it may take a little time to resolve
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Pulpstar said:

Freggles said:

O/T:

Sertraline seems to double up as an appetite suppressant... Best of luck, CBT may help.
    Thanks - had a go at CBT (twice) - helps with a particular focus/trigger of the anxiety but it just comes back with a different subject 6-12 months later.
    dixiedean said:

Freggles said:

O/T:

Yes. Have taken a number, and am married to a Mental Health professional. Unfortunately have to go out now but PM me if you want and I will try my best to help. Best wishes.
    Thanks - PM in your vanilla box.
  • Options

Yikes! James Durridge MP, quoting Cox, just asked the Leader of the House how we can “discourage the Speaker from bullying and aggressive behaviour?”

Why is he chairing this debate
  • Options
    I
    Freggles said:

Pulpstar said:

Freggles said:

O/T:

Thanks - had a go at CBT (twice) - helps with a particular focus/trigger of the anxiety but it just comes back with a different subject 6-12 months later.
    dixiedean said:

Freggles said:

O/T:

Thanks - PM in your vanilla box.
    I hope you find something that is effective.
  • Options
    The brutal truth is that the EU27 may now fail in their objective to strike a withdrawal agreement in time for the UK’s departure, because of this one matter. If the backstop was something the EU had insisted on from the beginning, then perhaps it should have been a non-negotiable demand. But it was not — it was a proposal adopted some way in to the process and was adopted as a means to an end, rather than an end itself.

https://www.ft.com/content/0df6434e-d12c-11e8-a9f2-7574db66bcd5
  • Options
    New thread!
  • Options

The brutal truth is that the EU27 may now fail in their objective to strike a withdrawal agreement in time for the UK’s departure, because of this one matter. If the backstop was something the EU had insisted on from the beginning, then perhaps it should have been a non-negotiable demand. But it was not — it was a proposal adopted some way in to the process and was adopted as a means to an end, rather than an end itself.

The FT criticising the EU? I must be hallucinating.
  • Options

Why is he chairing this debate
    For once he is just chairing it, not delighting us with his scintillating wit...

Chris Bryant “we let bullies continue in their denial”...
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,722
    edited October 2018

FF43 said:

It seems to the thing nowadays to make a totally false assertion and then denounce those with other opinions or actual facts as liars. And then for people to post these false assertions and libels without comment as the presumed truth.
    Do feel free to post the relevant clauses from the December agreement which say NI must stay in the CU and SM.
    Articles 48 to 50 refer to the backstop and the ambassador that Lilico called a liar didn't even mention the SM or CU. Anyway life's too short to spend time on falsehoods by nonentities.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Pulpstar said:

Seems Labour have gone full GOP in their defence of Kavanaugh Bercow.

Amazing how rapidly the party has shed its mantle as "champion of the workers, the oppressed, and the minorities".

Haven't heard a thing from the LDs on the bullying claims. Which sums up their complete failure as an organisation to seize the initiative, any initiative, from the main parties.
    LDs admit they are too scared of the Speaker to stand a candidate against him.
  • Options
    RobD said:

The FT criticising the EU? I must be hallucinating.

FT says:

There is legal doubt whether a measure intended to have permanent effect, such as the backstop, can even be agreed on the basis of Article 50, which is about arrangements for departure and not final outcomes. Even if the UK and EU27 agreed to a permanent backstop as part of the withdrawal agreement, it is not obvious that it could ever be enforced at law.
This discussion has been closed.