Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Three new Scotland polls find Corbyn’s LAB struggling to recov

13»

Comments

• Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited October 2018

With respect you do not know Scotland or its politics.

The SNP outflank labour on progressive politics, labour is led in Scotland by a Corbyn clone and they are publically fighting each other

As someone said on here earlier there are only two Scots politicians leading the politics in Scotland, and both are women. Nicola Sturgeon and Ruth Davidson

We should probably agree to defer to our Scots posters in that case.
    Of course most Scots are no longer in Scotland but England, the USA, Canada, NZ etc.

Also the population of Scotland is not all Scots but English and others too.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

Looks like Haley is ruling out a tilt a POTUS in 2020 to me in her letter.

She was pretty clear about that in the press conference. Said she would be supporting Trump re-election campaign.
    I personally think Haley's departure is a significant blow to Trump. Not only is she female and non-white among a male, stale and pale coterie, she was one of his vanishingly small number of vaguely effective, sane and competent senior figures.

That said, I expect him to run again - it's fifty years since an eligible President failed to be renominated, and 90 years since one voluntarily withdrew. And if he runs, he has a fair chance of winning.

Trump is a rare politician who is effective and implements what he promises.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,008

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Notice Dodds does not oppose the whole UK staying in the Customs Union as May is proposing, just the latest proposition on regulatory checks in GB from the ERG

No, May's all-UK backstop is apparently based on NI being in alignment with the Single Market but the UK free to diverge - remember if GB was 'fully aligned' with the SM then it would be impossible to claim that Brexit has actually occurred. So in May's scheme you end up with no customs border but with a regulatory border. Not acceptable to the DUP.
    A hypothetical freedom of the whole UK to 'diverge' from the SM once the transition period has ended is not something the DUP could oppose as it would apply to the whole UK. In reality unless the backstop had ended as a technical solution had been found to the Irish border the whole UK would be staying in the SM and CU
    The whole UK staying in the SM/CU until the EU graciously decide to release us is not acceptable and the sooner you Tories realise this the better for your chances of survival. It is not Brexit. How do I know this? Oh yes, because your leader said so.
    Polling also shows neither British voters nor the Scots accept No Deal, so a backstop is required to get a transition period, otherwise there will likely be EURef2 before March 29th 2019 which Remain would win.

SM/CU is better than No Brexit at all, though most likely it will be CU with some regulatory alignment for the whole UK until a technical solution is found for the Irish border
    It simply doesn't matter what your polls say about no deal or a second referendum.

A second referendum will not happen. And most Tory supporters (and the overwhelming majority of members) will find SM/CU unacceptable - and you cannot defend it because your PM is on record saying the same thing. You did not form a Government by getting a majority of votes, you get a majority by getting your own supporters to vote for you. If you try to implement a non-Brexit, you will get destroyed in the next election. But up to you. If you can't get your leader to face reality, get set for 30 years of opposition.
    I am afraid a second referendum will happen if No Deal, probably before the Brexit date.

A 10% lead for Remain over No Deal makes No Deal Brexit unsustainable and it will be the voters who reverse it

Since the first referendumdecide we will leave the EU any second referendum would be about which type of Leave to have ie

a) WTO plus side agreemets or

b) whatever the goivernment has negotiated

Not if it is held before Brexit day next March
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:

The SNP outflank labour on progressive politics, labour is led in Scotland by a Corbyn clone and they are publically fighting each other

As someone said on here earlier there are only two Scots politicians leading the politics in Scotland, and both are women. Nicola Sturgeon and Ruth Davidson

I have a claim to that with my Scottish family and connection with Scotland going back 65 years.

It is why I do keep an interest in Scottish politics and see it daily through the family whats app and facebook conversations
    Did you forecast the 2017 outcome in Scotland?

I did. I won the PB prize.
    My own prediction was to the effect that the SNP would struggle to retain 40 seats and that Labour was likely to end up with 4 or 5.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:

I have a claim to that with my Scottish family and connection with Scotland going back 65 years.

It is why I do keep an interest in Scottish politics and see it daily through the family whats app and facebook conversations
    Did you forecast the 2017 outcome in Scotland?
    Yes
    I normally find BigG is very close to what my friends and colleagues say in Scotland.

I do note that there is some stirring of thought that the SNP have been in charge for ages and education & health aren't quite as good as we keep being told. I don't know if / when political gravity will set in. I guess it's kept at bay as long as they sell something that Westminster doesn't.

That said, the public finances up here are mad. 2018 GERS figures; Revenue Inc North Sea share of £59bn (8% of UK), Expenditure £73bn (9% of UK) - deficit of £14bn. Additional govt spend of £1.5k per person over UK average. How is that sustainable?
    But the SNP have already lost a great deal of ground compared to 2015. I expect that trend to continue at Westminster elections.
  • Options
    Corbyn Labour bottom in a region where New Labour dominated even in 2010 ...Like everywhere if you do not look like a Duck or walk like a Duck you are not going to be voted into Number 10 Downing Street to run the government, economy and defense of British Isles. Its not just the moderates who have been gutless its Scottish Labour too who have seen the Tories overtake their party.
This discussion has been closed.