Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » TMay’s big speech – the reaction

1235»

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,803
    edited October 2018
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

PClipp said:

matt said:

geoffw said:

Mr Cox was only asked by the Prime Minister to deliver her warm-up speech ahead of her speech to the party faithful on Tuesday.

Overnight he memorised a 1,000 word speech he had jotted down on an A4 piece of paper and delighted party members with a relentlessly positive vision of the life after Brexit.

geoffw said:

Mr Cox was only asked by the Prime Minister to deliver her warm-up speech ahead of her speech to the party faithful on Tuesday.

Overnight he memorised a 1,000 word speech he had jotted down on an A4 piece of paper and delighted party members with a relentlessly positive vision of the life after Brexit.

He’s at the bar. The good ones can do that easily. I suspect that he finds dealing with the intellectual failings of sone of his cabinet colleagues a struggle.
    Is Cox a contender for the leadership?
    He's a Downing College old boy, he read Law & Classics, he'll go far.
    He was off my radar but that speech was a tour de force

See Macron's credibility in free fall - 7 ministers have left his government since beginning of September
    It may be that he'll do just fine and get through things, but there was a time after his election and (impressive) parliamentary win, that media outlets seemed to forget that while he did win comfortably over Le Pen, he did only get 20 something percent in the first round. Not exactly odd for a candidate to get in he 20s in the first round (I believe others have gone even lower!), but it still didn't mean he was enthusiastically backed by 2/3 as in his second round result, as some of the breathless reporting made it seem.
    In fairness his new party did win a huge majority in the Parliament shortly after.
    Which as I noted was impressive. I greatly admire that he took on the established parties, won, and then even managed to put together a parliamentary majority on top of that. A damn impressive achievement on its own, that. I don't know that what seems like some governing chaos and not entirely untypical popularity issues will be the end for him, but nevertheless in the foreign media there did seem a tendency to overhype that he had handily beat Le Pen.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Jonathan said:

rcs1000 said:

GIN1138 said:

ERG has got to get those letters in now.

Theresa's made it quite clear what her end game is which is to abandon Brexit altogether.

Her betrayal is complete... What have the ERG got to lose?
    Well, when Mrs May survives the No Confidence motion, then what?

Abandon the whip?
    Just keep voting down whatever the Commons does. Default is no deal, not Remain or Chequers.
    Yes, but Mrs May will resign rather than allow No Deal to happen that way. If no PM can get a Brexit bill through Parliament, then there will be new elections in the UK. (And under that scenario, whatever Mr V says now, there would be an extension of Article 50.)
    Given the timescale, the only path to a people's vote lies through a postponement of the end March date.
    There will be no "people's vote" unless it is in the interests of whoever is in government. It is therefore unlikely.
    rcs1000 said:

Omnium said:

rcs1000 said:

Jonathan said:

rcs1000 said:

GIN1138 said:

ERG has got to get those letters in now.

Theresa's made it quite clear what her end game is which is to abandon Brexit altogether.

Her betrayal is complete... What have the ERG got to lose?
    Well, when Mrs May survives the No Confidence motion, then what?

Abandon the whip?
    Just keep voting down whatever the Commons does. Default is no deal, not Remain or Chequers.
    Yes, but Mrs May will resign rather than allow No Deal to happen that way. If no PM can get a Brexit bill through Parliament, then there will be new elections in the UK. (And under that scenario, whatever Mr V says now, there would be an extension of Article
    Respectfully, I disagree.

If she has an agreement, and she cannot get it through the Commons, then she will resign.
    Is it in May’s interests to put herself in a position where she may be forced to resign?
    Lots of speculation

See Barcelona score in two minutes
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,792
    edited October 2018

Is it in May’s interests to put herself in a position where she may be forced to resign?

----

Weirdly that seems to be her theme. I think its clear that she believes that its her mission to deliver something that can be paired with the Brexit referendum result, and we can say we're all done with that. There's courage in this that we can all admire.

I've found myself, on occasion, wanting to raise my hat to Mrs May. If she's going where I think she's going, and if her intent is as it seems, then my hat may well be off my head more often.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298

This thread is now so very OLD

• Options
    Let’s get to the plain old truth, just as the most honest most middle of the road history books will explain this speech to future generations.

It was 65 Minutes watching a lady trying to push wet spaghetti into a dogs bottom, simultaneously singing an ode to joy. Not a pretty sight, but seeing May and her loyalists stubbornly cling to (Chequers now rebranded to “our proposal”) is just plain false and creepy.

The excruciating entrance was more “strictly” than head of state, benchmarked against Jim Callaghans cringey sing song much worse as there was no real political point to the gimmick, just a politician and team around her hopelessly full of themselves and out of touch. If I was advising her I would say don’t do it, this is a moment for gravitas. Unfortunately now if things turn bad for Britain, that entrance will live long in the memory. Idiots.

No real movement, she’s nailed herself irretrievably to chequers (ignore the facing all ways rebranding) nothing better sums up May’s demise than the burning of Domenico, to the stains of fourth movement of Beethoven's Ninth in Nostalghia. You can even hear her, at the lectern, at her most plumy hammy acted mono-droney best

Oh friends, not these tones!
    Rather, let us sing more cheerful and more joyful ones.
    Joy! Joy!

When you are strung up by the ERGs, hung out to dry by the EU, and boxed up in your own red lines, such a hapless state to get yerself in doesn’t allow for anything better! though this speech and the whole conference still brings credibility and respect for British Politics into disrepute.

To pass judgement on her eventful two and a half year Premiership, that surely after today is coming to an end, mostly it was below average, due in part to some horrendous mistakes and performances (not to forget excruciating moments that didn’t happen interviews and debates she chickened out of, a woman too difficult to coax out and do her actual job). Some say unlucky too, well let them name what, truth is what went wrong for her had her fingerprints all over it.

Will the next contestant please touch hands with The Queen.
    Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.