Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The betting chances of LAB winning the next election edge down

124»

Comments

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

Poly Tonybee on Newsnight, "Labour have looked the party with ideas" this week.

I think there is something in this.

Whatever your views on whether they will work or be bonkers, there is no doubt that Labour have ideas, bold thinking and future plans.

That might catch the public mood.

The Tories need to do something fast, or they will look like the party of the past.

Polly's got one foot in Jezza's camp for now... :D
    They have ideas if you are stark raving mad and believe they will do any of it without wrecking the country. Unfortunately we have so many thick people who will believe their mumbo jumbo that they are likely to get in.
    Thanks to the SNP propping up a Jezza administration in all likelihood.
    It would not be for a few baubles that is for sure.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,117

Rotten borough said: May tried tackling the demographic time bomb at last manifesto launch. It involved placing a bomb under her whole campaign.

Okay. Let’s nail this one too tonight, as we are on a roll.

In Conservative Manifesto, clear policy for a state-backed equity release scheme to fund social care budget. That rising social care costs are a problem cannot be disputed, it needs addressing if you are serious about your stint in government. Tory manifesto looked a little half baked on dementia tax detail, who would lose their house for example, but ultimately the proposal of taking from inheritance to pay for care was explicit, it was a policy solution.

You seem to know nothing.

It is the present policy -- set up originally by the Blaiir Gov't -- that dementia patients lose their home.

I know, because it happened to my mother.

It is difficult to understand how May managed to get her name attached to Blair's half-baked policy.
    You only lose your home if you move into residential care with No dependents left in the property, it was May proposing you lost your home for personal at home care too that was the problem
  • Options
    murali_s said:

I see the lights will literally go out in NI if there is a No Deal BREXIT

Hey BJO - what did you think of Corbyn's speech yesterday?

Thought there were some really exciting ideas in there. Contrast to the Tories where it's the same old austerity for the masses while the rich get richer.
    Inequality has fallen under the Tories

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2018/07/26/inequality-falls-low-earners-wage-growth-outstrips-rich/amp/
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

Whatever your views on whether they will work or be bonkers, there is no doubt that Labour have ideas, bold thinking and future plans.

The Tories need to do something fast, or they will look like the party of the past.

They have ideas if you are stark raving mad and believe they will do any of it without wrecking the country. Unfortunately we have so many thick people who will believe their mumbo jumbo that they are likely to get in.
    The SNP have made clear they will vote for a Labour PM on a confidence vote and against a Tory PM
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,902
    edited September 2018
    murali_s said:

Thought there were some really exciting ideas in there. Contrast to the Tories where it's the same old austerity for the masses while the rich get richer.
    Where was the exciting idea? Genuine question. Saw the shouty bits on the News bulletins, but would love to see a genuinely interesting idea.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

TM met Trump tonight and they have announced a trade deal is on the agenda.

Interesting another report, and I cannot recall whether it was the Guardian or Sky, states that individual EU nation states are so concerned of a no deal impact that they intend doing bi lateral deals with the UK over the heads of the commission

Reality hits politics

We’ll get the trade deal the US wants to give us.

That’s kind of the way things work in a negotiation.

If you get to a deal it’s because both sides are willing to give what they are proposing
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,046
    currystar said:

Roger said:

Jonathan said:

IanB2 said:

One thing’s for sure; there’s nothing that isn’t very very scary about a Corbyn/McDonnell led administration.

The Conservative policy on Brexit will cost hundreds of billions of pounds. And so will its reversal. Obviously that depends on which Conservatives you believe but let's assume they are both right.

So we have the Conservatives who are irredeemably split, whose flagship policy will cost hundreds of billions of pounds and perhaps break up the United Kingdom, and who have already made massive cuts to police and the armed forces, and who have been unable to prevent Russian assassins poisoning half the countryside, and whose reaction to that is less than the Americans have done.

So for the voter on the Clapham omnibus, in comparison with the above, what is so scary about that nice Mr Corbyn?
    Like. The more May goes on about how she’s working in the 'National Interest’ on Brexit the less I believe her.
    While I felt Corbyn had found the Magic Money Tree yesterday, he sounded a lot more sincere than she does, and, of course, there’s always the threat of Boris and/or JRM coming to the top of the Tory party. TBH, much more scary.
    * "Fuck business" compromised their pro business credentials
    * For obvious reasons, the Tories have lost their reputation for managerial competence.
    * Brexit, which if nothing else is an ideological enterprise, has lost the Tories their reputation for quiet pragmatism.
    * And a really positive thing, Cameron killed social conservatism.
    It’s false what-aboutism.

Aside from Brexit, which is just a resetting of a trading relationship for political reasons, this Government is fiscally prudent, sensible, moderate and effective.
    It's the way you tell 'em
    I am yet again amazed that people on this site think that we are in difficult economic times and the governement is completely incompetent and at fault for it. As i keep saying over and over this country is at full employment which is a remarkable achievement. If someone wants a job now they can have one. Name a time in the last 50 years when that has happened.
    And yet and yet. Food banks report the needs of people to supplement their wages. Honest law-abiding citizens are denied their rights and told they are illegal immigrants. Social Security appeals tribunals regularly find in favour of the appellant.
    Now we are told there is a shortage of flu vaccine and the Government absolutely denies it.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Jonathan said:

One thing’s for sure; there’s nothing that isn’t very very scary about a Corbyn/McDonnell led administration.

Tories say the same thing about every Labour administration and vice versa.
    This is very different.

And I think you know it is too.
    Tories say it every time. Remember the Demon Eyes posters for Blair?

McDonnells policies polled quite well on Yougov daily the other day, even 20% of Tory supporters favoured redistriubution of shares.
    We have Labour politicians advocating mass nationalisations, general strikes, capital controls, control of the press and flirting with enemies of the people type rhetoric and racism.

It’s absolute madness. And it seems to have infected you too, because of Jeremy Hunt.. or something.
    No, I have never been very critical of Hunt.

We have heard it all before from Tories, they always fall back on these scare stories.

I will be voting LD or Green next election, but would prefer Corbyn to May as PM.
    Absolutely pathetic.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Aside from Brexit, which is just a resetting of a trading relationship for political reasons, this Government is fiscally prudent, sensible, moderate and effective.

This government is pissing in our faces and you're claiming it's raining.
    All of you lot are hyperemotional.

We have the lowest unemployment for over 40 years, wages are growing, the deficit is almost eliminated and the education and pensions reforms have been very effective. Even housing is being belatedly dealt with as an issue.

The hyperbole is just that: hyperbole.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Jonathan said:

This is very different.

McDonnells policies polled quite well on Yougov daily the other day, even 20% of Tory supporters favoured redistriubution of shares.
    We have Labour politicians advocating mass nationalisations, general strikes, capital controls, control of the press and flirting with enemies of the people type rhetoric and racism.

It’s absolute madness. And it seems to have infected you too, because of Jeremy Hunt.. or something.

We have heard it all before from Tories, they always fall back on these scare stories.

I will be voting LD or Green next election, but would prefer Corbyn to May as PM.
    Absolutely pathetic.
    That's a little strong. The Tories are not making a very strong case atm. Don't shoot the messenger.
  • Options
    Adultery no longer a criminal offence in India after a Supreme Court ruling, though it remains a grounds for divorce

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-45404927
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

IanB2 said:

The Conservative policy on Brexit will cost hundreds of billions of pounds. And so will its reversal. Obviously that depends on which Conservatives you believe but let's assume they are both right.

So we have the Conservatives who are irredeemably split, whose flagship policy will cost hundreds of billions of pounds and perhaps break up the United Kingdom, and who have already made massive cuts to police and the armed forces, and who have been unable to prevent Russian assassins

So for the voter on the Clapham omnibus, in comparison with the above, what is so scary about that nice Mr Corbyn?
    Like. The more May goes on about how she’s working in the 'National Interest’ on Brexit the less I believe her.
    While I felt Corbyn had found the Magic Money Tree yesterday, he sounded a lot more sincere than she does, and, of course, there’s always the threat of Boris and/or JRM coming to the top of the Tory party. TBH, much more scary.
    Exactly. With the reckless gamble that is Brexit the Tories forfeit both their reputation for safe stewardship of the economy and their ability to call out other parties for their supposedly risky plans.
    * "Fuck business" compromised their pro business credentials
    * For obvious reasons, the Tories have lost their reputation for managerial competence.
    * Brexit, which if nothing else is an ideological enterprise, has lost the Tories their reputation for quiet pragmatism.
    * And a really positive thing, Cameron killed social conservatism.

Not sure what's left of the old Tory party. It's now a right-wing mirror of the old Labour party. Certainly not conservative any more.

ROFLMAO

prudent = George Osborne at Hinckley??
    sensible = Boris Johnson??
    moderate = Jacob Rees-Mogg and his ERG gang??
    effective = Theresa May or Chris Grayling??

You are blind my friend, blind. Labour has changed for certain. The Conservatives have changed just as much.
    Indeed. Possibly the most ludicrous post of the year.
    Partisan code for “I better shoot that down straight away with some generic ad-hominem lest people actually engage with the evidence and conclude it has some merit.”
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Jonathan said:

This is very different.

Absolutely pathetic.
    Why?
  • Options

Anazina said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

IanB2 said:

So we have the Conservatives who are irredeemably split, whose flagship policy will cost hundreds of billions of pounds and perhaps break up the United Kingdom, and who have already made massive cuts to police and the armed forces, and who have been unable to prevent Russian assassins

Exactly. With the reckless gamble that is Brexit the Tories forfeit both their reputation for safe stewardship of the economy and their ability to call out other parties for their supposedly risky plans.

Not sure what's left of the old Tory party. It's now a right-wing mirror of the old Labour party. Certainly not conservative any more.

ROFLMAO

You are blind my friend, blind. Labour has changed for certain. The Conservatives have changed just as much.
    Partisan code for “I better shoot that down straight away with some generic ad-hominem lest people actually engage with the evidence and conclude it has some merit.”
    Irony-o-meter set to overload.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884
    malcolmg said:

Maybe not such a bad thing, shake them out of the 17th century.
    The sunny uplands will be well lit TBF
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,027
    I see Corbo is now the forces' sweetheart. This week, after Seamus got him out of the bath and slipped him into a fresh Tena for Men, he said is going to keep RAF Scampton open.

https://thelincolnite.co.uk/2018/09/wed-keep-red-arrows-at-raf-scampton-says-jeremy-corbyn/
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894
    Jonathan said:

murali_s said:

Where was the exciting idea? Genuine question. Saw the shouty bits on the News bulletins, but would love to see a genuinely interesting idea.
    I heard it last night and all I saw were fatuous slogans and some old ideas reheated. I wondered whether all this adulation had gone to his head.
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    edited September 2018
    In any country there will always be issues, I just think the issues that people are facing now are much less challenging than in the recent past and the life chances and opportunities available to the majority of the population have increased dramatically over the past 8 years. The Government should be getting significant credit for this yet people on here say they are the most incompetent government in living memory. I just dont get it. Which Government has performed better over the last 50 years especially given the economy they inherited. Corbyns speech yesterday was just about spending money, its so easy to do that, but a coordinated approach to Governemnt is required. After our spark's lucky lottery win I often lay in bed dreaming of what I would spend a lottery win on. That is Corbyn's approach to Government, what can I spend money on. It sounds good and will win a lot of votes, but as evidence has proved in the past it will not work and will have a devasting effect on this country.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Dura_Ace said:

I see Corbo is now the forces' sweetheart. This week, after Seamus got him out of the bath and slipped him into a fresh Tena for Men, he said is going to keep RAF Scampton open.

https://thelincolnite.co.uk/2018/09/wed-keep-red-arrows-at-raf-scampton-says-jeremy-corbyn/

And the USAF at Lakenheath?
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Dr Fox,

"I will be voting LD or Green next election, but would prefer Corbyn to May as PM."

Each to their own. I can't vote LD unless they drop their anti-democratic opposition to Brexit, or drop Democrat from their title. As for the Greens, I don't fancy spending my dotage in a cave, eating grass and feeling noble.

May is a well-meaning incompetent, Corbyn is worse - he's a well-meaning buffoon without the ability to change tack when needed. We'd end up in that cave with a diet of Greens, but it would come more quickly.

How about a middle of the road party with policies especially for me? A dictatorship by TSE? Unfortunately, he's barmy too, but I blame Brexit for that.
  • Options

So we have the Conservatives who are irredeemably split, whose flagship policy will cost hundreds of billions of pounds and perhaps break up the United Kingdom, and who have already made massive cuts to police and the armed forces, and who have been unable to prevent Russian assassins poisoning half the countryside, and whose reaction to that is less than the Americans have done.

Oh thaaat niiiiiice Mr cooooorrrrrrbbbybn
    Only if you're sick enough to call anti-Semitism 'nice' ...
  • Options
    currystar said:

In any country there will always be issues, I just think the issues that people are facing now are much less challenging than in the recent past and the life chances and opportunities available to the majority of the population have increased dramatically over the past 8 years. The Government should be getting significant credit for this yet people on here say they are the most incompetent government in living memory. I just dont get it. Which Government has performed better over the last 50 years especially given the economy they inherited. Corbyns speech yesterday was just about spending money, its so easy to do that, but a coordinated approach to Governemnt is required. After our spark's lucky lottery win I often lay in bed dreaming of what I would spend a lottery win on. That is Corbyn's approach to Government, what can I spend money on. It sounds good and will win a lot of votes, but as evidence has proved in the past it will not work and will have a devasting effect on this country.

Just because someone has a job doesn’t mean they are financially secure. People see their wages stagnating while those at the top get richer and richer. They (rightly or wrongly) feel the system and by extension the Government is screwing them.
  • Options
    currystar said:

In any country there will always be issues, I just think the issues that people are facing now are much less challenging than in the recent past and the life chances and opportunities available to the majority of the population have increased dramatically over the past 8 years. The Governemnt should be getting significant credit for this yet people on here say they are the most incompetent government in living memory. I just dont get it. Which Government has performed better over the last 50 years especially given the economy they inherited. Corbyns speech yesterday was just about spending money, its so easy to do that, but a coordinated approach to Governemnt is required. After our spark's lucky lottery win I often lay in bed dreaming of what I would spend a lottery win on. That is Corbyn's approach to Government, what can I spend money on. It sounds good and will win a lot of votes, but as evidence has proved in the past it will not work and will have a devasting effect on this country.

The Tory administration post 2015 is a different administration to the LibDem-Tory coalition 2010-2015. The latter, whilst flawed, is several leagues ahead of this dire administration. I would rank most governments post-1945 above this one. The coalition was mid-tier.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894
    Roger said:

Jonathan said:

murali_s said:

I heard it last night and all I saw were fatuous slogans and some old ideas reheated. I wondered whether all this adulation had gone to his head.
    I did like his support for the Palestinians though and his implied loathing for everything Trump
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    Jonathan said:

Anazina said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

IanB2 said:

ROFLMAO

Its default setting.
  • Options
    So Corbyn offers something to absolutely everyone with not a care of how it is paid for.

The role of government is to take difficult and controversial decisions which upset the electorate.

He is incapable of making tough economic decisions or deal with serious issues of anti semitism

He is also anti the US, the West, NATO, and is seeking the destruction of wealth

And some on here have been seduced by his fake Santa Claus tribute act
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited September 2018
    currystar said:

People don't like to admit that things might be getting better because they're afraid that if they do the people who do keep on complaining might get more "stuff" from the government than them. That's why if someone does a vox pop in the most prosperous part of the country the majority of respondents will still complain about how everything's going to the dogs and things have never been worse. They believe, probably correctly, that if they say everything's just fine the government will say "okay, so we don't need to spend any money on your area because you've said everything's fine, we'll spend it all somewhere else".
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,046
    Schools are in a mess, too. Educational opportunities for the less well off dropping. Looks like the flu vaccination scheme’s gone wrong this year, too.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,027
    matt said:

Dura_Ace said:

And the USAF at Lakenheath?
    48th TFW are going to be gone soon enough no matter who is PM.
  • Options

currystar said:

Just because someone has a job doesn’t mean they are financially secure. People see their wages stagnating while those at the top get richer and richer. They (rightly or wrongly) feel the system and by extension the Government is screwing them.
    As I said yesterday why are hotels in this country always full up, is this just rich people staying there? Millions and millions of people are doing better under this Government
  • Options
    Yesterday the DUP rejected the Canada deal and overnight reports from the US have confirmed that Trump is refusing to appoint judges to the WTO and that he wants root and branch change to it.

It is in crisis as the arbitration system collapses due to lack of judges.

A double blow to ERG
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    AndyJS said:

currystar said:

People don't like to admit that things might be getting better because they're afraid that if they do the people who do keep on complaining might get more "stuff" from the government than them. That's why if someone does a vox pop in the most prosperous part of the country the majority of respondents will still complain about how everything's going to the dogs and things have never been worse. They believe, probably correctly, that if they say everything's just fine the government will say "okay, so we don't need to spend any money on your area because you've said everything's fine, we'll spend it all somewhere else".
    The competitive game of “vulnerability”. I’ve always felt a league table would be helpful in understanding relativities - most vs slightly that sort of approach.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

currystar said:

In any country there will always be issues, I just think the issues that people are facing now are much less challenging than in the recent past and the life chances and opportunities available to the majority of the population have increased dramatically over the past 8 years. The Governemnt should be getting significant credit for this yet people on here say they are the most incompetent government in living memory. I just dont get it. Which Government has performed better over the last 50 years especially given the economy they inherited. Corbyns speech yesterday was just about spending money, its so easy to do that, but a coordinated approach to Governemnt is required. After our spark's lucky lottery win I often lay in bed dreaming of what I would spend a lottery win on. That is Corbyn's approach to Government, what can I spend money on. It sounds good and will win a lot of votes, but as evidence has proved in the past it will not work and will have a devasting effect on this country.

The Tory administration post 2015 is a different administration to the LibDem-Tory coalition 2010-2015. The latter, whilst flawed, is several leagues ahead of this dire administration. I would rank most governments post-1945 above this one. The coalition was mid-tier.
    So how much has this Government got the deficit down to in the past 3 years? What is the current unemployment rate?? And yet you think this is the worst governnment since 1945? Look around at this country, it is booming, compare it to the late 1970s, do you think the Callaghan Government begging the IMF for money was a more competent Government?
  • Options
    currystar said:

Jonathan said:

currystar said:

So how much has this Government got the deficit down to in the past 3 years? What is the current unemployment rate?? And yet you think this is the worst governnment since 1945? Look around at this country, it is booming, compare it to the late 1970s, do you think the Callaghan Government begging the IMF for money was a more competent Government?
    This government has no economic or foreign policy. Everything is on hold. Unlike previous crises, the chaos and uncertainty we face is entirely self inflicted.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    edited September 2018

Schools are in a mess, too. Educational opportunities for the less well off dropping. Looks like the flu vaccination scheme’s gone wrong this year, too.

Actually there are some great changes that are now showing fruition. A very close relative of mine, a total corbynite but also a maths teacher. He had kids coming into year seven with singificantly higher standards of maths, in only a space of a few years. They now teach in upper primary many of the things taught in yr seven and eight.

GCSE is now substantially more rigorous across the board. The content has increased exponentially and the 1 to 9 grading though confusing initially allows the schools to distinguish the top performers.

At every level of schooling now children are tracked. They enter secondary school with an anticipated number, say 4 or 5 and each individual child is tracked at how they are doing right through their education. They are predicted expected results and when they don’t get them it investigated.

Sure, there’s a lot of bureaucracy which seems to grow and grow putting pressure on teachers, much of it has long since outlived it’s uefulness.

But, if you don’t think schooling has got increasing better since about 2001 onwards and this is continuing, you are living in a bubble.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Jonathan said:

Anazina said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

IanB2 said:

ROFLMAO

Its default setting.
    You offer nothing but insults and partisan jibes. No evidence at all.

The vast majority of your posts on here add nothing to the debate or the site.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Anazina said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

IanB2 said:

ROFLMAO

Not at all. I’ve explained my reasoning with evidence.

If that’s just totally ignored or responded to with nothing but “what aboutism” and a “don’t care, I’m doing it anyway” attitude then I’m going to call that out as pathetic, because it is.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

currystar said:

Jonathan said:

currystar said:

This government has no economic or foreign policy. Everything is on hold. Unlike previous crises, the chaos and uncertainty we face is entirely self inflicted.
    S
    That’s not true. It’s economic policy is to eliminate the deficit as soon as it responsibly can and then adopt a balanced approach to future spending with any surpluses, balanced between further public spending and investment and tax relief.

You have more of a point on foreign policy where the concept of global Britain is emerging. I’d say from a geopolitical point of view it’s not much different with respect to European defence and security, and the Middle East is unchanged, but it’s a bit closer to the US and will push for greater diversification of trade in South America, south east Asia/Pacific and Africa more quickly.
  • Options
    NEW THREAD
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Yesterday the DUP rejected the Canada deal and overnight reports from the US have confirmed that Trump is refusing to appoint judges to the WTO and that he wants root and branch change to it.

It is in crisis as the arbitration system collapses due to lack of judges.

A double blow to ERG

Link on DUP?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

murali_s said:

Inequality has fallen under the Tories

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2018/07/26/inequality-falls-low-earners-wage-growth-outstrips-rich/amp/
    LOL
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

The SNP have made clear they will vote for a Labour PM on a confidence vote and against a Tory PM
    That was not the question
This discussion has been closed.