Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How the Labour conference reacted when Keith Starmer said Rema

2»

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,415
    The beast of Bolsover looked less than impressed with that comment. In fact there was quite a number sitting on their hands, if more being supportive. Labour are as split as the rest of the country.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

If Labour formed the next government and held a second EU referendum Remain could well beat No Deal if that was where we were but a Norway or Canada option would likely beat Remain if they were alternatives

While I do not see a GE Corbyn hedging on voting just now raised a point that could be interesting.

He will have seen the overwhelming support for remain in the conference hall today and the gauntlet Starmer has laid down and he may well come to the conclusion voting down TM deal could lead to a second referendum and the UK remaining. That would be a catastrophe for him so maybe abstain the deal and be out rather than risk remain
    You really are an optimist.

There is Zero chance of TM getting a deal through unless it is a customs union.

Surely you must realise Chequers or similar has no chance of getting through no matter how many wishes you use to make it so.
    Chequers is a mid way between Norway and Canada and I still believe it will be delivered subject to the cabinet remaining united
    The EU have said 'No'.

How many times do they need to say it?
  • Options

Totally incoherent....Peston that is....and Jezza of course.
    It is because he is thicker than the average plank
    Corbyn that is...and Peston of course. (actually Peston isn't but it had a certain symmetry to it)
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The beast of Bolsover looked less than impressed with that comment. In fact there was quite a number sitting on their hands, if more being supportive. Labour are as split as the rest of the country.

He looked about as impressed as when I saw him in the posh seats at Cirque du Soleil...
  • Options

HYUFD said:

If Labour formed the next government and held a second EU referendum Remain could well beat No Deal if that was where we were but a Norway or Canada option would likely beat Remain if they were alternatives

While I do not see a GE Corbyn hedging on voting just now raised a point that could be interesting.

He will have seen the overwhelming support for remain in the conference hall today and the gauntlet Starmer has laid down and he may well come to the conclusion voting down TM deal could lead to a second referendum and the UK remaining. That would be a catastrophe for him so maybe abstain the deal and be out rather than risk remain

Surely you must realise Chequers or similar has no chance of getting through no matter how many wishes you use to make it so.
    Chequers is a mid way between Norway and Canada and I still believe it will be delivered subject to the cabinet remaining united
    The EU have said 'No'.

Let us see. Only a few weeks now
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154

Who is the strange guy that looks like a spitting image puppet nodding like Churchill the Dog, just under one minute in?

Percival Proudfoot Plugsley, aka Plug from the Bash Street Kids.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,843

Foxy said:

The decline in longevity is over the last few years, so not reflecting migration. In any case, Most BME groups have longer life expectancy than white BritonsScots..

https://jech.bmj.com/content/70/12/1251

Fixed it for you.

It was a Scottish study but the figures include a seperate tab for White British. Better longevity than the Scots, but not as good as British Asians.

"The life expectancy of White Scottish males at birth was 74.7 years (95% CI 74.6 to 74.8), similar to Mixed Background (73.0; 70.2 to 75.8) and White Irish (75.0; 74.0 to 75.9), but shorter than Indian (80.9; 78.4 to 83.4), Pakistani (79.3; 76.9 to 81.6), Chinese (79.0; 76.5 to 81.5), Other White British (78.9; 78.6 to 79.2) and Other White (77.2; 76.4 to 78.1). "
    It's still restricted to samples in the Scottish 2001 Census. There may be an issue with Scottish sub-samples.....

The divergence from the places they have left is dramtatic - and suspect. Life expectency in India in 2018 is 165th out of 228 countries at a little over 69 - not the 80.9 they found. In 2018, Pakistan is 169 out of 228 countries worldwide for life expectency at 68. By way of contrast, the UK is 29th at 81.

For example, the report doesn't cover mortality from anyone of African or Caribbean origin. I'm not sure you can rely on these numbers for UK wide effects on longevity. Somalia is 220th of 226 in the world at 53. Afghanistan 224th at 52. Both have recordable numbers present across the UK, if not perhaps in Scotland.

http://www.geoba.se/population.php?pc=world&type=015&year=2018&st=rank&asde=&page=2
    Though surely you see that if anything BME people bring up Scottish longevity.

Or perhaps look at places where Somalis have settled. We have 10 000 in Leicester and a substantial number of other black Africans particularly Zimbabwean, yet life expectancy is not falling as it is in Hartlepool.

I am not sure why you are so keen to deny the poor health and longevity of white Britons in post industrial areas. We can argue cause and cure, but I think the facts do show it.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

The EU have said 'No'.

We've already seen. What more will it take?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,635
    The more positions Labour has (and the three suggested by John Rentoul is a very modest estimate) the greater chance that abstention is the only way of looking principled when it comes to the big votes
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Jon Snow, leftie extreme, giving JC a grilling over Press TV. Pathetic response from Mr Angry.
    https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1044620238824910850
    Also, the state of the replies. FFS. #notacult
  • Options
    DavidL said:

No, they really are not. 90% of Labour now favour a #peoplesvote. Skinner may well be one of the other 10%.
  • Options

Who is the strange guy that looks like a spitting image puppet nodding like Churchill the Dog, just under one minute in?

Stephen Timms MP.
    Thank you. He made me feel nostalgic for Fluck and Law
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,061
    edited September 2018
    The leadership aside it does feel like it would be more honest if Labour came out as explicitly for remain, come what may, rather than straddling this line where they are essentially saying they might do anything at this point, and people are hearing something else entirely. But I cannot argue the political expediency in doing that, even if it lacks principles. But 'we will leave(or maybe not) and definitely better than the Tories' is weak as a message, even if it might well work.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,857
    The Labour ‘six tests’ cannot, of course, be met.

The idea that a new government under Corbyn would do any better than May is just silly.
    There would be a certain logic to it, if referendum-including-remain were part of the deal; it clearly isn’t.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

The EU have said 'No'.

TM to walk out or more likely strike a deal
  • Options

Percival Proudfoot Plugsley, aka Plug from the Bash Street Kids.
    An uncanny resemblance
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Jon Snow, leftie extreme, giving JC a grilling over Press TV. Pathetic response from Mr Angry.

Corbyn is an odious little man. Unfit for any office, let alone the highest
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

The idea that a new government under Corbyn would do any better than May is just silly.
    There would be a certain logic to it, if referendum-including-remain were part of the deal; it clearly isn’t.

71% do not think Corbyn is competent to negotiate Brexit

68% do not think labour is competent to negotiate Brexit (Sky data poll)
  • Options
    Anorak said:

The Speccie seems to think Thornberry's speech was a leadership pitch and some think Starmer's speech was too. Is there a vacancy?

Starmer is someone a lot of normally-not-Labour voters would lend their vote to
    Which is why he is unelectable to the membership.
    Only the pure faithful are worthy
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Anorak said:

The Speccie seems to think Thornberry's speech was a leadership pitch and some think Starmer's speech was too. Is there a vacancy?

Which is why he is unelectable to the membership.
    Only the pure faithful are worthy
    Given that the most extreme Corbyn supporters disagree with Corbyn on some things (eg the anti semitism stuff all being a smear, which Corbyn does not state), not even that can be certain.

I kind of miss the Tory extreme leadership supporters, just for some variety, but obviously what praise May does get is grudging thesedays.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

To coin a phrase once used by a wag on here once (albeit about David Davis), Labour could not negotiate a discount at SCS
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

The six tests are all verbatim taken from Tory negotiation objectives, so of course are a steaming pile of horsedung!

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1000862412483022854?s=19
  • Options

Anorak said:

Today has shown labour do have alternative leaders in Starmer and Thornberry

Corbyn keeps the conservatives in power, they would be a long way behind with either of those leading labour
  • Options

HYUFD said:

The EU have said 'No'.

I don't get your idolation of TM.

The EU say no, explicitly and clearly. Not maybe, an outright no. Are they lieing?

Why would you listen to TM but not the EU?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Or perhaps look at places where Somalis have settled. We have 10 000 in Leicester and a substantial number of other black Africans particularly Zimbabwean, yet life expectancy is not falling as it is in Hartlepool.

I am not sure why you are so keen to deny the poor health and longevity of white Britons in post industrial areas. We can argue cause and cure, but I think the facts do show it.

I'm not convinced that study, restricted as it was to Scotland, has wider UK reliability. That was what you were citing for the UK.

There is a very large Somali community in Cardiff. I would be interested to see if there was any noticable effect on life expectancy figures there.

It is of course possible that only the very strongest from other countries who reach us. It is possible that infant mortality skews their domestic numbers massively - and that is no longer a factor when they reach the UK. Without this sounding flippant, it may be that we get a disproportionate share of health care professionals from India and Pakistan who, by virtue of their line of business, know how to look after themselves better. But I do not accept without some further explanation that people from countries with massively lower life expectency numbers than the UK as a whole suddenly become longer lived than the domestic population they join.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    kle4 said:

The leadership aside it does feel like it would be more honest if Labour came out as explicitly for remain, come what may, rather than straddling this line where they are essentially saying they might do anything at this point, and people are hearing something else entirely. But I cannot argue the political expediency in doing that, even if it lacks principles. But 'we will leave(or maybe not) and definitely better than the Tories' is weak as a message, even if it might well work.

Yes, Labour's Brexit position has now become too contorted and incoherent even for me.

However, they are lucky that this is an issue where the country also thinks the question is impossibly contorted and incoherent (and dull), so incoherence from politicians on the subject is more forgivable. It's much more serious for Labour when they get themselves tied into knots on questions like "would you be willing to use the nuclear deterrent" (which, rightly or wrongly, strikes the public as a much more black-and-white question).
  • Options

HYUFD said:

The EU have said 'No'.

The EU say no, explicitly and clearly. Not maybe, an outright no. Are they lieing?

I do not idolise TM. She has many faults but she has little more than 3 weeks to do a deal but she has cabinet support.

The fact she may not deliver your kind of brexit is not my problem
  • Options

Anorak said:

Today has shown labour do have alternative leaders in Starmer and Thornberry

Corbyn keeps the conservatives in power, they would be a long way behind with either of those leading labour
    Yes but the cult will ensure that such capable people never have the chance to lead the labour Party now that it has been so comprehensively taken over by the anti-Semitic hard left
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

The six tests are all verbatim taken from Tory negotiation objectives, so of course are a steaming pile of horsedung!

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1000862412483022854?s=19
    Of course, neither could Labour negotiate anything that met those tests, so it HAS to support Remain by that logic.

Is that right, Jeremy? Starmer just commited you to Remain?
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    "New Florida"? What happened to the old one? I quite liked the old one.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,184
    edited September 2018
    That will boost Democrat chances of gaining the Senate as Florida was one of their most at risk states and a loss there would have cancelled out potential gains in Nevada, Arizona, Tennessee and Texas
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

No, they really are not. 90% of Labour now favour a #peoplesvote. Skinner may well be one of the other 10%.
    Out of interest, where are you statistics coming from ?

They have no error bar, which is the mark of a very poor statistician.

But, I suspect that is not their only (or main) problem.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

The EU have said 'No'.

I do not idolise TM. She has many faults but she has little more than 3 weeks to do a deal but she has cabinet support.

If any idiot delivers his type of Brexit it will be all our problem
  • Options

HYUFD said:

We have to get a deal first but either way he will vote against May if she comes back with a Deal or No Deal, he just wants a general election
  • Options

HYUFD said:

The EU have said 'No'.

Who is he
  • Options

Foxy said:

I'm not convinced that study, restricted as it was to Scotland, has wider UK reliability. That was what you were citing for the UK.

There is a very large Somali community in Cardiff. I would be interested to see if there was any noticable effect on life expectancy figures there.

It is of course possible that only the very strongest from other countries who reach us. It is possible that infant mortality skews their domestic numbers massively - and that is no longer a factor when they reach the UK. Without this sounding flippant, it may be that we get a disproportionate share of health care professionals from India and Pakistan who, by virtue of their line of business, know how to look after themselves better. But I do not accept without some further explanation that people from countries with massively lower life expectency numbers than the UK as a whole suddenly become longer lived than the domestic population they join.
    Low life expectancy in developing countries is largely due to infant mortality, maternal mortality, and infectios disease. Skip those and life expectancy is much like the developed world. Life expectancy at birth is now 76 in Vietnam, higher than Hartlepool or Leicester, and even Bangladesh at 72 is better than some parts of the UK.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

We have to get a deal first but either way he will vote against May if she comes back with a Deal or No Deal, he just wants a general election
    With respect everything you say is cast as a certainty. In this climate there is no such thing.

I really do not mind the end result as long as we leave but sometimes a less dogmatic reading of events may be wise
  • Options

Anorak said:

Interesting. I think for the first time Corbyn got grilled by Marr on Sunday. I think that the more intelligent of the left of centre opinion formers are waking up to Corbyn's threat and also that he is an impediment to a soft Brexit or Remaining.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,906
    edited September 2018
    So far we have seen three leadership bids in rapid succession. Starmer Thornberry and McDonnell.

It's got to be Sir Keir. He's not particularly charismatic but full of guile and suitably Machiavellian
  • Options

HYUFD said:

The EU have said 'No'.

Who is he
    Mr Philip-I-love-self-harm-Thompson
  • Options
    Anorak said:

To be divided up a la the (pulled) "Cal3" proposal to make California into three states?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cal_3
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Roger said:

So far we have seen three leadership bids in rapid succession. Starmer Thornberry and McDonnell.

It's got to be Sir Keir.....

He's the most immediately credible to my mind, although obviously I am not the target electorate, and has achieved some smart politics in his present position.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

The EU have said 'No'.

Who is he
    Mr Philip-I-love-self-harm-Thompson
    Thanks and agree
  • Options
    Caerwyn Jones, Welsh leader, and Stephen Kinnock both reject a second referendum on ITV Wales just now
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,126

Up to your pathetic cretinous normal standard
  • Options
    Roger said:

It's got to be Sir Keir. He's not particularly charismatic but full of guile and suitably Machiavellian

I agree
  • Options

HYUFD said:

G , not a hope of it going anywhere.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,298
    edited September 2018
    Anorak said:

Corbyn's final Press TV appearance was six months after the network had its broadcasting license revoked by Ofcom for airing a forced confession by Newsweek journalist Maziar Bahari.

Probably doesn't remember if he was involved or not.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Anorak said:

Interesting. I think for the first time Corbyn got grilled by Marr on Sunday. I think that the more intelligent of the left of centre opinion formers are waking up to Corbyn's threat and also that he is an impediment to a soft Brexit or Remaining.
    "Yes I regret that" would have been astute, and would have defused the whole issue.

His refusal to do that after being confronted with the fact of a C4 journalist being tortured by the regime, and then humiliated on PressTV shows him to be completely inflexible on pretty much everything, and completely unsuitable for government.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

G , not a hope of it going anywhere.
    I agree - cannot see Norway or Canada moving anywhere, lots of mountains, lakes and ice !!!
  • Options
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

The hypocrisy of these Fu***** and their fake "peoples vote" crap is sickening. A pox on Labour and any other cretin who use that crap.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

He could not run a bath.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

With respect everything you say is cast as a certainty. In this climate there is no such thing.

I really do not mind the end result as long as we leave but sometimes a less dogmatic reading of events may be wise
    You do not need to be dogmatic to know that Corbyn and McDonnell will vote against whatever May does it does not come back with as they have made clear
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

He could not run a bath.
    Depends what you want out of it - your feet will get wet, and that is basically enough right?
  • Options

Anorak said:

Corbyn's final Press TV appearance was six months after the network had its broadcasting license revoked by Ofcom for airing a forced confession by Newsweek journalist Maziar Bahari.

Present in the studio, but unaware anyone had a camera.....
  • Options
    kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

He could not run a bath.
    Depends what you want out of it - your feet will get wet, and that is basically enough right?
    KLE, I normally wish to bathe more than my feet, but very apt description.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Anorak said:

Anorak said:

"Yes I regret that" would have been astute, and would have defused the whole issue.

His refusal to do that after being confronted with the fact of a C4 journalist being tortured by the regime, and then humiliated on PressTV shows him to be completely inflexible on pretty much everything, and completely unsuitable for government.
    He very much is an incredibly stubborn man. It's part of his strengths, when it comes to some of his political principles (at least for his supporters), but it really does seem sometimes that it applies to absolutely everything in his life, that he simply must drag things out, even on simple things, rather than show any flexibility. We know he can be flexible eventually, he would save a lot of trouble if he moved a little faster sometimes.

I know we don't want politicians who flip flop all the time and have no spine, but he just doesn't pick his moments well much of the time.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Anorak said:

*snip*

And three years after this.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/blog/2009/jul/29/iran-election-protest-dead-missing

Remember: he just told the world he left after he learned of the regime's abuse of the opposition. Snow should have picked him up on that.

JC is a lying shit-stain. In my opinion.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,418
    The more positions Labour has on Brexit of course the better. All they need to do right up until the next GE is point at the Cons and say "Ooh I wouldn't have done it like that."
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,298
    edited September 2018
    Anorak said:

Anorak said:

*snip*

https://www.theguardian.com/world/blog/2009/jul/29/iran-election-protest-dead-missing

Remember: he just told the world he left after he learned of the regime's abuse of the opposition. Snow should have picked him up on that.

It drives me mad when interviewers raise something and don’t do their research / follow up when politicians try to lie their way out.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,804
    There's a chap called Bim Afolami who is currently the top runner in Betfair's next PM market. (Just the sort order) I hope he gets a screenshot for himself.

• Options
    A Pennsylvania judge has ruled Bill Cosby, the comic once dubbed America's Dad, is a sexually violent predator.
  • Options
    Jeremy Corbyn is expected to use his conference speech in Liverpool to pledge an expansion of free childcare. Labour has previously said it would offer 30 hours of "genuinely free" childcare to all parents of two, three and four-year-olds in England. Labour say the plans will cost £4.5bn.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    Omnium said:

There's a chap called Bim Afolami who is currently the top runner in Betfair's next PM market. (Just the sort order) I hope he gets a screenshot for himself.

Bim was at Oxford during my time there. Nice bloke, one to watch for the future.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Nigelb said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

What I can't decide is whether he actually believes what he's saying, or whether he's simply promotional by nature.

Is he, to put it another way, Elizabeth Holmes or simply your average startup founder?
    Do you think that Elizabeth Holmes believed what she was saying?

I think she was a narcissist and fraudster obsessed with her status and wealth
    So Trump in a dress, then.
    Rather easier on the eyes
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    TOPPING said:

The more positions Labour has on Brexit of course the better. All they need to do right up until the next GE is point at the Cons and say "Ooh I wouldn't have done it like that."

The only thing missing is the piece of straw in their mouth as they do.....

(which should be a worry to Will Straw as to which bit.....)
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Anorak said:

*snip*

Too generous....
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,854
    Starmer, Starmer, Starmer, Starmer, Starmer ad libitum
    It stole the show, it stole the show
    Labour Brexit would be easy if Corb's colours were like our dream,
    Less red, more green
    Less red, more green

Here's a tip for your survival
    Treat Kier as Comrade, not as rival
    And Emily gives fair opinion
    On all matters Palestinian
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

HYUFD said:

He campaigned for Remain in the referendum. Sure it was lukewarm, but the idea that he'd view remaining as "catastrophic" is ridiculous. The leadership's contortions over Brexit have been about trying not to alienate either side, not about Corbyn wanting Brexit at all costs.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Anorak said:

There used to be two Floridas you know, West and East, with West Florida including large chunks of what is now Alabama and Mississippi and a bit of what's now Louisiana. Mind you, I don't think the US, let alone the world, could cope with more than one Florida these days.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

He campaigned for Remain in the referendum. Sure it was lukewarm, but the idea that he'd view remaining as "catastrophic" is ridiculous. The leadership's contortions over Brexit have been about trying not to alienate either side, not about Corbyn wanting Brexit at all costs.
    Tonight Caerwyn Jones, Wales labour leader, and Neil Kinnoch have strongly come out against a second referendum. Corbyn is a brexiteer as much as JRM and there are many unhappy with Starmer tonight
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

HYUFD said:

Tonight Caerwyn Jones, Wales labour leader, and Neil Kinnoch have strongly come out against a second referendum. Corbyn is a brexiteer as much as JRM and there are many unhappy with Starmer tonight
    Why, in your view, did he not support Leave during the campaign?

By the way, we may yet find out who's right. I think if we actually fall off the no-deal cliff which May seems intent on leading us to, the public will swing very quickly to Remain. My prediction is that in that case, Corbyn would switch to supporting Remain too. Presumably you think he wouldn't?
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Anorak said:

There used to be two Floridas you know, West and East, with West Florida including large chunks of what is now Alabama and Mississippi and a bit of what's now Louisiana. Mind you, I don't think the US, let alone the world, could cope with more than one Florida these days.
    I love PB.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,464

HYUFD said:

Just seen a recent photo of Carwyn Jones. Boy, he looks an absolute wreck.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,464
    edited September 2018

HYUFD said:

By the way, we may yet find out who's right. I think if we actually fall off the no-deal cliff which May seems intent on leading us to, the public will swing very quickly to Remain. My prediction is that in that case, Corbyn would switch to supporting Remain too. Presumably you think he wouldn't?
    Corbyn will support whatever he thinks will make him popular with his target audience, just as he has for the last 45 years.

All his contortions on Brexit, Iran, Israel, nuclear weapons, devolution, welfare make much more sense when you appreciate this approach.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I really have no idea but hard brexit is unlikely
  • Options

HYUFD said:

My guess would be that he is more flexible than people think, and at the least he is willing to play down those part of his views in order to gain power - he has grown as a leader in respect of making those kinds of compromises, even as it makes him less different than all other politicians like his followers believe.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,231

Well fancy that:

https://twitter.com/simonjhix/status/1044492403523170304

The whole article is well worth a read too.

Matthew Parris made much the same point in Saturday’s Times - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/we-ignore-migration-backlash-at-our-peril-nfn592gtc
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,718
    Only just notice (no one else did) that Sir Keir appears to have changed his name to Keith.

Oh, and LAST!
This discussion has been closed.