Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Odds on Osborne as Cameron’s successor tighten as he takes

Comments

• Options
    Perry is a good appointment. I can see her shouting against MPs in the lobbies.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    edited October 2013
    @Tim

'Cameron is just the chinless chillaxing facade of an Osborne govt.'

Another intelligent & insightful post.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,989
    Mr. Omnium, Tarquin Superbus springs to mind. A rapist, and a king so bad he put the Romans off them (or those with such powers) for about 500 years.

Adolphus makes me think of Gustavus. I still need to read Dodge's biography of him.
  • Options
    Murphy: Today I've also spoken with Alistair Darling and I look forward to playing a bigger role in the Better Together campaign.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    He's going to have a lot of time on his hands shadowing DFID.

Murphy: Today I've also spoken with Alistair Darling and I look forward to playing a bigger role in the Better Together campaign.

• Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited October 2013
    shadow junior ministers tomorrow?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

tim said:

Greetings from the Blue Lagoon in Iceland. It's steamy.

It's another disaster for Labour, I see.

And Hunt has caved in over lying about Burnham.

Time for the PB Tory motto?

"caved in"

Interesting interpretation of that letter.

More accurately a complete fabrication by Tim. Par for the course.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    taffys said:

Off topic from the re-shuffle, One columnist I read is calling the US tea party repubs blocking the debt ceiling extension 'the new confederacy'

So its not just about borrowing a few quid more.

It's more about your need to change columnists.

• Options
    It seems Twiggy goes to work under Sadiq Khan
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    edited October 2013
    One for the UKIP fraternity.

Press secretary duped UKIP MEP out of £3000.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2448851/Vengeful-ex-press-secretary-fleeced-UKIP-MEP-3-000-went-Harrods-spending-spree-disapproving-policies.html

Secretary is an Eastern European.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    tim said:

john_zims said:

@Tijm

'Cameron is just the chinless chillaxing facade of an Osborne govt.'

Another intelligent & insightful post.

I thought so, it's in essence what is becoming the prevailing opinion on the reshuffle.

Read and Understand

"http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jameskirkup/100240211/reshuffle-day-thoughts-on-the-conservative-party-moves/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
    David Cameron has always been the acceptable face of George Osborne, right from his election to the leadership of the Conservative party. Both of them seem pretty happy with the division of labour between frontman and backroom boffin. Unlike Tony Blair and Gordon Brown, there seems to be a genuine meeting of minds.

In truth, one of the problems of the Coalition is that it hasn't had enough creative tension at the top. I'd include Nick Clegg and Danny Alexander in this as part of the problem.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,030

Twigg was useless anyway. For the reasons Plato mentioned in the previous thread

Byrne was always the first likely casuality but he gave a good conference speech

If true, I am surprised Murphy accepted International Development.

I don't think anyone care about Ivan Lewis

Murphy would accept any position on the greasy pole, he can stay at the trough and stick it out till Ed gets the boot.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    malcolmg said:

Twigg was useless anyway. For the reasons Plato mentioned in the previous thread

Byrne was always the first likely casuality but he gave a good conference speech

If true, I am surprised Murphy accepted International Development.

I don't think anyone care about Ivan Lewis

Murphy would accept any position on the greasy pole, he can stay at the trough and stick it out till Ed gets the boot.
    Are you suggesting Jim would bend over and kiss rings ?

http://geoconger.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/jim-murphy-mp-at-a-2008-audience-with-the-pope.jpg
  • Options
    She looks like one of the partisans.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2448851/Vengeful-ex-press-secretary-fleeced-UKIP-MEP-3-000-went-Harrods-spending-spree-disapproving-policies.html

• Options
    Daily Tele reshuffle headline

"Ed Miliband purges Blairites from his shadow cabinet "

Tory reshuffle too dull.
  • Options

Not sure what the point of mentioning she is Eastern European is (just out of interest is the Former Yugoslavia 'Eastern' European?) She has been here for 20 years since fleeing the Yugoslav War.

More to the point it seems that Batten comes out of it very well. He lent the money in good faith even though he had no need to and the contract was not being renewed. Just a shame she was crooked.
  • Options
    Ahem

Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges
    Clear Ed did intend to sack Andy Burnham - hence briefing around Liz Kendall promotion - then ducked it.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Well colleagues I reckon the big winner out of the collective shuffles and reshuffles must be Tim. The fact George Osborne apparently features so strongly in the Tory reshuffle and Labour counter-shuffle should give him enough content to see him through to 20,000 posts by Christmas.

Meanwhile in the real world, as economic factors continue to support improving polling numbers, is cross-over 2013 the favourite?
  • Options
    Comment from a Scotsman poster on the sacking of Michael Moore.

"New addition to his CV!
    Plucked from oblivion in 2010; returned to oblivion in 2013!"
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,795

Mr. Omnium, Tarquin Superbus springs to mind. A rapist, and a king so bad he put the Romans off them (or those with such powers) for about 500 years.

Adolphus makes me think of Gustavus. I still need to read Dodge's biography of him.

I was thinking of 'Dolly' Longstaffe (I've always assumed this was an Adolphus?). Tarquin the Elder seems to have built the Circus Maximus, I'm only rephrasing Wikipedia here though. Your man seems to have been Tarquin the Proud. Perhaps a lesson to all Tarquins there.
  • Options

pinball13 said:

O/T Boris is calling for tax relief on season tickets.

telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-transport/10359450/Tax-relief-is-just-the-ticket-to-placate-hard-hit-commuters.html

Nice idea, can't see it happening though.

Would this just apply to people traveling into London (and maybe the other big cities)? Meanwhile, the people who live in, say, Leicester, and commute to Coventry by car are meant to subsidise them?
    I don't see any mention of it being restricted to London. It might have the added benefit of encouraging more people to use public transport.
  • Options
    You forgot that Andy Murray lost Wimbledon!
    tim said:

TGOHF said:

Ahem

Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges
    Clear Ed did intend to sack Andy Burnham - hence briefing around Liz Kendall promotion - then ducked it.

"David Miliband has won, says Dan Hodges."

• Options
    tim said:

TGOHF said:

Ahem

Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges

"David Miliband has won, says Dan Hodges."

Not really a denial tim - Ed bottled it..
  • Options
    Jack Dromey has been sacked? Emma Reynolds gets his housing job
  • Options
    pinball13 said:

pinball13 said:

telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-transport/10359450/Tax-relief-is-just-the-ticket-to-placate-hard-hit-commuters.html

Would this just apply to people traveling into London (and maybe the other big cities)? Meanwhile, the people who live in, say, Leicester, and commute to Coventry by car are meant to subsidise them?
    I don't see any mention of it being restricted to London. It might have the added benefit of encouraging more people to use public transport.
    And if public transport isn't available?
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    pinball13 said:

pinball13 said:

The irony of course is that nobody around the country as anything even approaching the level of public transport that londoners enjoy.
  • Options
    Oooh threats !

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danhodges/100240240/ed-miliband-has-told-the-blairites-theres-no-place-for-you-in-this-party-hed-better-watch-his-back/

"But the biggest impact will be on Labour’s fragile, and mythical, unity. Until now the remaining Blairites in Labour’s ranks have been content to sit back and wait for Ed Miliband to lose the 2015 election, then pick up the pieces afterwards. They will see today as an act of war. Miliband has signalled there is no place for them in his party, and they will respond accordingly."
  • Options
    antifrank said:

In truth, one of the problems of the Coalition is that it hasn't had enough creative tension at the top. I'd include Nick Clegg and Danny Alexander in this as part of the problem.

There is of course the dire state of the country's finances too. I'm pretty sure that both coalition partners would have found quite interesting policies if there had been the cash to support such ideas.

We simply have to get used to responsible politicians being in power and really not doing anything terribly exciting.

• Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,014
    edited October 2013

pinball13 said:

Surely you would have to allow everyone to claim tax exemption for their journey to work, not just London train commuters. It wouldn't be too big a step into the dark, as the self-employed can already do it. It would effectively be reclassifying your journey to work as a business expense rather than a personal one.

The downside is that it would encourage people to travel further to work, therefore anti-Green, the upside is that it might be helpful in allowing people to be more flexible where they live.

• Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    tim said:

Blimey

Fiona-Natasha Syms ‏@fifisyms 47m
    PM just fired father of my kids over the phone. Gave up chairmanship of a cttee to be a whip, worked hard and was widely acknowledged...

Fiona-Natasha Syms ‏@fifisyms 45m
    to be a good whip. He was utterly gracious and took it like a man, I am beyond furious. Loyalty counted for nothing.

All so Osborne could get two stooges into the Whips Office.

Does she expect a telegram from the queen?
  • Options

pinball13 said:

pinball13 said:

There's no need to look for victims each time a tax/benefit changes.
  • Options
    TimT2TimT2 Posts: 45
    Just learnt that 'government shutdown' means that 17% of US government spending has been shut down - i.e. 5/6 of all US government spending is proceeding as normal. Not the impression you get from the media...
  • Options
    pinball13 said:

pinball13 said:

pinball13 said:

There's no need to look for victims each time a tax/benefit changes.
    I'm not looking for victims, just asking the question. The only way people would behave as victims is to support a measure that they know is causing themselves harm.

Still, probably better to move to London, support this proposal, and let everyone else pay for it, chanting 'victims' every time they complain? That will solve the congestion problem, will it not?
  • Options
    TimT2TimT2 Posts: 45
    Best line from SNL this week: “I’m Piers Morgan, and if I was on a cartoon, I would be the voice of a fancy hedgehog.”
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,044
    TGOHF Indeed, most interesting story of the day Miliband's own 'night of the long knives' ousting of the Blairites. Byrne (for his sympathy for Coalition welfare reforms), Murphy (for his support for Trident and austerity) and Twigg (for his support for academies and acceptance of free schools). Indeed, Len McCluskey will be a happy man today. Osborne may have cemented his powerbase today, but his leadership hopes rest entirely on a Tory victory in 2015, if Cameron loses so Osborne's leadership prospects also disappear
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited October 2013
    "Odds on Osborne as Cameron’s successor tighten as he takes an even greater grip on his party in the reshuffle"

*crying with laughter etc.*

Wonderful.

One of the only politicians close to calamity Clegg's level of voter repelling toxicity with the public.
  • Options

"New addition to his CV!

Greig Forbes ‏@greigforbes
    Look out, separatists. There's a new Tory proxy regional under-manager deputy sheriff in town. #indyref
  • Options
    FU Having a PGCE is probably less of an issue in a selective independent or grammar school, where having a phd may be more of an advantage as would degree class (although most still have the PGCE). To teach an average class of 14 year olds in a typical comprehensive though I would suggest a PGCE is essential
  • Options
    @Gerry_Mander

pinball13 said:

pinball13 said:

They will be unaffected. Is that a better answer?

• Options
    On the various reshuffles (how thoughtful of them all to do it on the same day for once):

1) There doesn't seem to be any particular point to the Conservative changes announced so far, other than to keep the middle ranks on their toes. Since the top rank don't seem to be kept on their toes, that seems pretty futile.

2) The Lib Dems have made some baffling changes. Michael Moore was anonymous but seemed to be doing acceptably. Norman Baker is way too eccentric for the job he's been given.

3) Labour have decided to go "left turn Clyde". The Blairites have been hit in the face. It was right to clear out Stephen Twigg and Liam Byrne (who were both doing abysmally), but Ed Miliband could easily have cleared out some ministers who were more leftwing and as incompetent at the same time. Moving Jim Murphy is a mistake as well as a power grab.

For all that, I'd be surprised if Ed Miliband faces any open disloyalty from disaffected Blairites in the short run. They won't want to be blamed for holding back his performance before an election. However, it does mean that 2015 is death or glory for Ed Miliband. He will not get two shots now.
  • Options
    @Gerry_Mander London commuters need something back. As Bobajob would tell you, they don't know where their next latté is coming from.
  • Options
    Anyone who knew anything about Falkirk knew that Murphy was going to have to pay the price after Watson jumped overboard.

No surprise whatsoever.
  • Options
    Should we look for Gemma Doyle tomorrow?
    Mick_Pork said:

Anyone who knew anything about Falkirk knew that Murphy was going to have to pay the price after Watson jumped overboard.

No surprise whatsoever.

• Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,014
    edited October 2013

"New addition to his CV!

Why is there a need for a Secretary of State for Scotland? I presume there are still Acts of Parliament which mention the post so there is probably still a legal need for it, while I'd argue there is no practical need.

Why not remove the post from the cabinet, reduce the salary to a guinea a year, and appoint Alex Salmond?

• Options
    antifrank said:

On the various reshuffles (how thoughtful of them all to do it on the same day for once):

For all that, I'd be surprised if Ed Miliband faces any open disloyalty from disaffected Blairites in the short run. They won't want to be blamed for holding back his performance before an election. However, it does mean that 2015 is death or glory for Ed Miliband. He will not get two shots now.

They already got in serial disloyalty in July - August. He would have been surprised if he didn't act after that.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

@Gerry_Mander London commuters need something back. As Bobajob would tell you, they don't know where their next latté is coming from.

Hang on while I see if I can get my crocodile to cry.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @TGOHF

'Hunt seems to have called Burnham a cry baby for running to his lawyer - taking his lead from Ed ?'

Did I miss Hunt's public apology?

'"I therefore ask you, by the end of today, to provide me with evidence to substantiate your assertion.

"If you fail to provide such evidence, I will require a full retraction and public apology. If that is not forthcoming I will consider further action.'
  • Options
    or *I* would have been surprised, even !
  • Options
    If they were content to sit back and allow Labour to lose the next election as Hodges claims then any leader worth his salt would be entirely right getting rid of them.
    TGOHF said:

Oooh threats !

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danhodges/100240240/ed-miliband-has-told-the-blairites-theres-no-place-for-you-in-this-party-hed-better-watch-his-back/

"But the biggest impact will be on Labour’s fragile, and mythical, unity. Until now the remaining Blairites in Labour’s ranks have been content to sit back and wait for Ed Miliband to lose the 2015 election, then pick up the pieces afterwards. They will see today as an act of war. Miliband has signalled there is no place for them in his party, and they will respond accordingly."

• Options
    Maybe it's a decorative part of the constitution, but after seeing photos of the latest sinecure holder, Alistair Carmichael, I am not so sure.

"New addition to his CV!

Why is there a need for a Secretary of State for Scotland? I presume there are still Acts of Parliament which mention the post so there is probably still a legal need for it, while I'd argue there is no practical need.

Why not remove the post from the cabinet, reduce the salary to a guinea a year, and appoint Alex Salmond?

• Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

Why is there a need for a Secretary of State for Scotland?

There was a lot of faux outrage when Gordon Brown effectively removed the post by combining it with another cabinet role.
  • Options
    edited October 2013

If they were content to sit back and allow Labour to lose the next election as Hodges claims then any leader worth his salt would be entirely right getting rid of them.

TGOHF said:

Oooh threats !

perhaps of more interest is if Ed has killed New Labour, what will Mandy's reaction be ? Since he basically saved Labour's campaign the last time, will he sit it out in 2015 ?
  • Options

Mick_Pork said:

No surprise whatsoever.

Should we look for Eric Joyce to finally do the right thing and stand down tomorrow instead of clinging on for dear life? Or perhaps little Ed will finally stop keeping the Falkirk report secret too?

Somewhat doubtful.
  • Options
    BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536
    @

pinball13 said:

@Antifrank

Great idea - might soften the blow of our family paying 60-70% marginal rates of income tax. By the way, you still haven't enlightened us on what you are paying. Put up or shut up.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Neil said:

There was a lot of faux outrage when Gordon Brown effectively removed the post by combining it with another cabinet role.
    Yes, it will take a brave Prime Minister to get rid of the three provincial SoS titles. The woad-painted natives will kick up a dreadful fuss. But post-devolution there's a lot of money to be saved by scrapping the depts.

• Options

TGOHF said:

Oooh threats !

Quite.
  • Options

A certain Alistair Carmichael certainly USED to think there was no need for the post. Amazing how the sniff of a government Jag concentrates the mind.

2010 - '“Getting rid of the Scotland Office is a ‘job waiting to be done’, says Liberal Democrat MP Alistair Carmichael, dubbing the current Scottish Secretary Jim Murphy as a ‘tax-funded campaign manager for the Labour Party in Scotland.
    In an interview with Holyrood magazine, Carmichael said that if his party got into power there would be no Scotland Office, asserting that he would instead head up a department of the Nations and Regions.'
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Eric Pickles on twitter "Congratulations to Len McCluskey for his successful reshuffle of the Labour front bench"

Fiona Newton-Simms ex wife of sacked whip Robert Simms
    PM just fired father of my kids over the phone. Gave up chairmanship of a cttee to be a whip, worked hard and was widely acknowledged...to be a good whip. He was utterly gracious and took it like a man, I am beyond furious. Loyalty counted for nothing. Luckily for Dave he'll continue to be super loyal. I'd be fixing up drinks with Afriye, Crouch, Wollaston, Norman. No not really.

Tributes too from across the spectrum for Alister Burt who was removed from his post today
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/oct/07/government-and-labour-reshuffle-politics-live-blog
  • Options

"New addition to his CV!

Look out, separatists. There's a new Tory proxy regional under-manager deputy sheriff in town. #indyref
    LOL
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    HaveIGotNewsForYou ‏@haveigotnews 1h

In Westminster, as the main parties complete a mid-rank reshuffle, a video highlights package is made available:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd9CxIlkjpk

;)
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    The Blairite stuff is spin.

Murphy- given non-job to have more time to focus on Scotland plus I doubt his self-confessed concern about the armed forces

Twigg- useless, the invisible man

Byrne- creepy and "that letter"

I'd have moved Burnham because he rather than health has become the story plus under-performers like Benn and pantomime dames like Curran should have been given the boot as well.

TGOHF said:

Oooh threats !

perhaps of more interest is if Ed has killed New Labour, what will Mandy's reaction be ? Since he basically saved Labour's campaign the last time, will he sit it out in 2015 ?
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

@

pinball13 said:

@Antifrank

Great idea - might soften the blow of our family paying 60-70% marginal rates of income tax. By the way, you still haven't enlightened us on what you are paying. Put up or shut up.
    look on the bright side BaJ it means you're rich.
  • Options
    The Unite Scottish chairman and Falkirk West CLP Chair is under investigation at Grangemouth plant because he is accused to having used the work computer to send emails related to the selection process. Workers are going on strike now over his "victimisation" by bosses.

Heaven only knows what will happen if the original report mentions emails sent to someone in the party (regardless of the content of the email) from workplace.

One rumour was that some of the evidences withdrawn were because of this investigation. They didn't want to put his job at risk.
    Mick_Pork said:

Mick_Pork said:

No surprise whatsoever.

Should we look for Eric Joyce to finally do the right thing and stand down tomorrow instead of clinging on for dear life? Or perhaps little Ed will finally stop keeping the Falkirk report secret too?

Somewhat doubtful.
  • Options
    edited October 2013

The Blairite stuff is spin.

Murphy- given non-job to have more time to focus on Scotland

Twigg- useless, the nvisible man

Byrne- creepy and "that letter"

I'd have moved Burnham because he rather than health has become the story plus under-performers like Benn and pantomime dames like Curran should have been given the boot as well.

TGOHF said:

Oooh threats !

Miliband only moved half his underperformers. How Burnham has survived is truly puzzling.
  • Options

Bobajob said:

@

pinball13 said:

@Antifrank

Lol. I'd like to hand you my family budget and see you squeeze out a revenue surplus month on month - £700pcm for childcare for just four days a week and a moronic chancellor who has gone out of his way to hammer middle income London families who are already massive net contributors.

• Options
    Bobajob said:

@

pinball13 said:

@Antifrank

On my entire earnings, I am fairly confident that I will be paying proportionately a lot more than you, given the different ways in which the Government has found to squeeze money out of me. A point that I have made several times before but that you have been too obtuse to take on board, since it would undermine your lonely campaign to have the ballet classes of the daughters of the affluent given state subsidies.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    I've just come down
    From the Isle of Skye
    I'm not very big and I'm awful shy
    And the lassies shout when I go by
    Alex, where's your troosers

[CHORUS]
    Let the wind blow high
    Let the wind blow low
    Through the streets
    In my kilt, I'll go
    All the lassies, they'll vote NO!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/10359238/Alex-Salmonds-secrecy-battle-over-250-tartan-trews.html
  • Options

Meanwhile back in the real world, Sarkozy has corruption charges dropped and is now free to re-enter politics and run in 2017. Dave better get that referendum in pronto.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/oct/07/nicolas-sarkozy-corruption-charges-dropped-liliane-bettencourt-donation
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,048
    Bobajob said:

Bobajob said:

@

pinball13 said:

@Antifrank

Lol. I'd like to hand you my family budget and see you squeeze out a revenue surplus month on month - £700pcm for childcare for just four days a week and a moronic chancellor who has gone out of his way to hammer middle income London families who are already massive net contributors.
    Where did I put the world's smallest violin?
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

Bobajob said:

@

pinball13 said:

@Antifrank

BaJ, Baj, don't you read anything tim posts? Get yourself a nanny, apparently they come with £300,000 earnings for you.

Or just ditch London and come and enjoy life ;-)
  • Options

pinball13 said:

Just another wheeze to line Londoners pockets at the expense of everyone else , greedy whinging bar stewards are worse than vampires.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

"New addition to his CV!

LOL
    Double LOL
  • Options

Maybe it's a decorative part of the constitution, but after seeing photos of the latest sinecure holder, Alistair Carmichael, I am not so sure.

"New addition to his CV!

Illusions of power , so that Westminster can still kid on they Lord it over Scotland. Has been filled by nobodies for as long as I can remember.
  • Options
    UKIP is releasing MEPs candidates list. Everything happening in one day!
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

Bobajob said:

@

pinball13 said:

@Antifrank

Look after your own children then, by the time you get rid of all the expenses not only will you be likely to be better off , your children will be brought up better.
  • Options
    Alanbrooke Indeed, but his former PM Francois Fillon has also said he will run, splitting the centre-right vote
  • Options
    JohnO said:

I've just come down
    From the Isle of Skye
    I'm not very big and I'm awful shy
    And the lassies shout when I go by

[CHORUS]
    Let the wind blow high
    Let the wind blow low
    Through the streets
    In my kilt, I'll go
    All the lassies, they'll vote NO!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/10359238/Alex-Salmonds-secrecy-battle-over-250-tartan-trews.html

More bollocks from the toady London press
  • Options
    News emerging so far

South East (currently 2 MEPs)

1) Nigel Farage MEP
    2) Janice Atkinson
    3) Diane James
    4) Ray Finch
    5) Donna Edmunds
    then the rest...they won't be elected anyway

South West (2 MEPs)

1) William Dartmouth MEP
    2) Julia Reid
    3) Gawain Towler

Easttern (2 MEPs)

1) Patrick O’Flynn
    2) Stuart Agnew MEP
    3) Tim Aker
    4) Michael Heaver
    5) Andrew Smith
  • Options
    edited October 2013

The Unite Scottish chairman and Falkirk West CLP Chair is under investigation at Grangemouth plant because he is accused to having used the work computer to send emails related to the selection process. Workers are going on strike now over his "victimisation" by bosses.

Heaven only knows what will happen if the original report mentions emails sent to someone in the party (regardless of the content of the email) from workplace.

One rumour was that some of the evidences withdrawn were because of this investigation. They didn't want to put his job at risk.

Mick_Pork said:

Mick_Pork said:

No surprise whatsoever.

Somewhat doubtful.
    Little Ed sending for the polis was always a somewhat curious response considering how large a can of worms this is. That the repercussions haven't stopped does not bode well and though plod happily washed his hands of this mess it did not stop them giving the usual caveat "should further information come to light this will be looked into".

I find it hard to believe the secret Falkirk report did not go into some detail or why bother to keep it secret at all?
  • Options
    Purple Columist is updating with more lists...

Yorkshire (1 MEP in 2009)

1) Jane Collins
    2) Amjad Bashir
    3) Mike Hookem
    4) Gary Shores
    5) Jason Smith

Wales (1 MEP)

1) Nathan Gill
    2) James Cole
    3) Caroline Jones
    4) David Rowlands

North West (1 MEP)

1) Paul Nuttall MEP
    2) Louise Bours
    3) Steven Woolfe
    4) Shneur Odze
    5) Michael McManus
    6) Lee Slaughter
    7) Simon Noble
    8) Peter Harper

North East (0)

1) Jonathan Arnott)
    2) Richard Elvin
    3) John Tennant

London (1)

1) Gerard Batten MEP)
    2) Paul Oakley
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    BobaJob,

I suspect you're having a laugh with us.

If not, it could be that you're mixing with the wrong crowd. Live among the people who have very little for a while. Where choices are restricted. Where you can get a cuppa for less than a £1 and a pint for less than £2.50. In fact where £50k pa is riches beyond the dream of avarice.

OK, that last bit might be over the top, but rubbing shoulders with conspicuous expenditure is mind-numbing in more ways than one.
  • Options
    There're votes too. Fantastic UKIP
  • Options
    Labour changes are by far the most interesting. (M Moore excepted). So I'm going to comment on those;

To what extent do Byrne and co. represent a bigger threat to Milliband if they are outside of the Shadow Cabinet? I think this is the most important question. If I didn't know better then this reshuffle would seem to indicate a man in total command of his party, and with endless strength and depth at his command. However what we do undeniably know is that Labour has a shortage of young aspirants. Ed is therefore digging deep here. His ammunition now consists of the old-timers. I'm not sure I can think of a single one of them though that he can rely on.

Personally I think Ed has built his castle too early. The tide will wash it away.

• Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Less votes than you need in many student societies and Nathan Gill just got a half million pound sinecure. Wish I'd applied.
  • Options
    Interestingly, Hodges thinks Ed left it too late because the new shadow cabinet ministers will not have enough time to master their new portfolios.
    Omnium said:

Labour changes are by far the most interesting. (M Moore excepted). So I'm going to comment on those;

To what extent do Byrne and co. represent a bigger threat to Milliband if they are outside of the Shadow Cabinet? I think this is the most important question. If I didn't know better then this reshuffle would seem to indicate a man in total command of his party, and with endless strength and depth at his command. However what we do undeniably know is that Labour has a shortage of young aspirants. Ed is therefore digging deep here. His ammunition now consists of the old-timers. I'm not sure I can think of a single one of them though that he can rely on.

Personally I think Ed has built his castle too early. The tide will wash it away.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Alanbrooke Indeed, but his former PM Francois Fillon has also said he will run, splitting the centre-right vote

The UMP is facing up for a bit of a bunfight on this. After the acrid contest between Fillon and Cope, Sarkozy's return will throw everything up in the air. This is probably good news for Marine Le Pen since if the mainstream split she has a better chance of making the run off. Assuming of course that she hasn't been nobbled on racism charges.

• Options
    tim said:

Interestingly, Hodges thinks Ed left it too late because the new shadow cabinet ministers will not have enough time to master their new portfolios.

Omnium said:

I'll bet you next summer when Cameron does his cabinet reshuffle after the Euros Hodges will be saying it gives him an advantage having fresh faces in the election run up
    and you'll follow that up by saying its all Osborne's doing and it will end in disaster.

You are Osborne's Dan Hodges.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Nothing surprising about this either.
    Douglas Alexander ‏@DAlexanderMP 2h

Delighted to be appointed by Ed as Chair of Gen Elec Strategy. To be part of Labour’s campaign, join us today: http://join.labour.org.uk
    It's what wee Dougie almost always ends up doing though with somewhat 'mixed' results to say the least. ;)
  • Options
    East Midlands

1 Roger Helmer 19,590
    2 Margot Parker 9,340
    3 Jonathan Bullock 3,245
    4 Nigel Wickens 2,242
    5 Barry Mahoney 2,229

East

1 Patrick O'Flynn 22,610 votes
    2 Stuart Agnew 21,441
    3 Tim Aker 6,841
    4 Michael Heaver 6,054
    5 Andrew Smith 3,475
    6 Mick McGough 2,517
    7 Andy Monk 2,374

SE

1 Nigel Farage 89,909 votes
    2 Janice Atkinson 23,304
    3 Diane James 18,131
    4 Ray Finch 13,344
    5 Donna Edmunds 5,475
    6 Patricia Culligan 5,192
    7 Nigel Jones 4,225
    8 Alan Stevens 2,491
    9 Simon Strutt 2,463
    10 Barry Cooper 1,982

Yorkshire

1 Jane Collins 10,264 votes
    2 Amjad Bashir 8,349
    3 Mike Hookem 3,136
    4 Gary Shores 2,500
    5 Jason Smith 2,058
    6 Anne Murgatroyd

West Midlands

1 Jill Seymour 10,483 votes
    2 James Carver 4,763
    3 Bill Etheridge 4,423
    4 Phil Henrick 3,080
    5 Michael Wrench 2,818
    6 Michael Green 1,849
    7 Lyndon Jones 1,717

North West

1 Paul Nuttall 53,313 votes
    2 Louise Bours 6,981
    3 Steven Woolfe 6,372
    4 Shneur Odze 5,247
    5 Michael McManus 4,909
    6 Lee Slaughter 2,322
    7 Simon Noble 2,099
    8 Peter Harper 1,587

North East

1 Jonathan Arnott 9,683 votes
    2 Richard Elvin 4,025
    3 John Tennant 2,530

London

1 Gerard Batten 26,093 votes
    2 Paul Oakley 8,627
    3 Elizabeth Jones 4,667
    4 Lawrence Webb 4,275
    5 Alastair McFarlane 2,869
    6 Andrew McNeilis 2,736
    7 Anthony Brown 1,750
    8 Peter Whittle 1,278

Wales

1 Nathan Gill 1,254 votes
    2 James Cole 697
    3 Caroline Jones 668
    4 David Rowlands 639

South West

1 William Dartmouth 16,796 votes
    2 Julia Reid 11,155
    3 Gawain Towler 6,174
    4 Tony McIntyre 4,391
    5 Robert Smith 4,366
    6 Keith Crawford 2,856

• Options
    edited October 2013
    tim said:

tim said:

Omnium said:

I'll bet you next summer when Cameron does his cabinet reshuffle after the Euros Hodges will be saying it gives him an advantage having fresh faces in the election run up
    and you'll follow that up by saying its all Osborne's doing and it will end in disaster.

You are Osborne's Dan Hodges.
    Except I get the calls right, Osbornes useless strategy did cost the Tories a majority, the Omnishambles arrogance did cost the Tories in the polls

Hodges as a pundit is ScottP/fitalass level
    we won't know if Dan is right until 2015, but at the moment he has the polling on his side, the UK thinks Ed is crap.

• Options

Very few ministers ever manage to actually do that. I rather like Gerald Kaufman's book 'How to be a Minister' which illuminates that to some extent.

The difficulty Labour have, apart from being totally wrong-headed on all things, is that they don't have anyone at all who you'd trust to run a corner shop. Admittedly they've moved on from the days when 'breaking in to a corner shop' seemed to be their theme (perhaps I misjudged Prescott), but actual ability to do anything worthwhile is more of a stranger to the Labour front-bench than it has ever been.

• Options

Interestingly, Hodges thinks

Let me stop you right there. ;^ )

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    tim said:

ScottP/fitalass

Seek help for your sickness
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Unbelievable decision by Ed Miliband, Jim Murphy was about one of the most astute and effective Labour front bench performers and he gets demoted! And it begs the question, who is running the Labour party tonight, Ed Miliband or Len McCluskey? Watson has been publicly trolling Jim Murphy on twitter recently, this makes today's decision to purge the Blairites seem like a mix of weakness and revenge. Weakness on Miliband's part, revenge on the part of Unite Leadership. Jim Murphy and Douglas Alexander should be in high profile positions as we gear up for the GE, especially as they make up a very formidable team in Scotland for their party.

Twitter
    Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges 4h
    Last year Len McCluskey demanded Ed sack Twigg, Murphy and Byrne. Today Ed sacked Twigg, Murhy and Byrne.

Chris Ship ‏@chrisshipitv 1h
    Unite's Len McCluskey leaves work with big smile on face. Tells @itvnews: Ed is the leader & his union supports whatever he does. *smiling*

Eric Pickles ‏@EricPickles 2h
    Congratulations to Len McCluskey for his successful reshuffle of the Labour front bench

If Ed Miliband has indeed demoted Jim Murphy, that will go down like a bag of sick in Scotland. Together with Douglas Alexander he is seen as one of the most able and intelligent Labour politicians. Obviously I hope to live long enough to see him lose his seat back to the Tories but he is a very good speaker though clearly by his accent very very Glaswegian.

Incidentally I didn't know Norman Baker is an Aberdonian.

Dead right about Jim Murphy - one of the few really talented people on the LAB team now demoted.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Nice to see Ed has sacked the 3 people Len told him to sack.

There's a word for that...

And reduced the number of women. Has Hattie commented yet?
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Mick_Pork said:

Nothing surprising about this either.

Douglas Alexander ‏@DAlexanderMP 2h

Delighted to be appointed by Ed as Chair of Gen Elec Strategy. To be part of Labour’s campaign, join us today: http://join.labour.org.uk
    It's what wee Dougie almost always ends up doing though with somewhat 'mixed' results to say the least. ;)

Sorry ! I do not agree. His contribution as the "behind the scenes" organisor was immense in 2010. It is no exaggeration that in 2010, Labour received 1983 votes and came out with 1992 seats. The organisation for 2015 is also looking good !
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    TGOHF said:

Oooh threats !

How are they going to respond? It seems pretty clear that the Labour Party wants to move on from Blair. The fact that some within the Party can't accept that might help destabilise Labour but they aren't going to get control of the Party again.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    The funny thing about the Tory reshuffle is that whether you appoint women or ethnic minority men they all end up looking like what all Tory MPs look like. White middle class men dressed in blue
  • Options
    PBModeratorPBModerator Posts: 661
    edited October 2013
    Tim - Going forward you are not going to mention Scott P and Fitalass directly, or indirectly.

ScottP/Fitalass - Can you also not talk about Tim either.

Can all three of you confirm that you understand this new rule.
This discussion has been closed.