Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Arguably the biggest development in the past month has been

2»

Comments

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Carola said:

Carola said:

Carola said:

I once saw the fire brigade rescuing a seagull in St James St. I fact I just found a picture of the drama on twitter.

FireBrigade rescue trapped #Seagull #HappyDays #Brighton

Edit: weird. Won't post - and I'd copied the tweet not the photo. Anyway, you'll just have to imagine the tender scene.

Copy the CONTENT of the tweet rather than the link to it.
    Hi. I thought I had. Did the same as I've been doing of late (to avoid the bandwidth issue thing) anyway.

*tries again*

FireBrigade rescue trapped #Seagull #HappyDays #Brighton

Edit - nope.
    [sigh] Do I have to everything :)

Sunny O ‏@ChiefWakaWaka 20 Apr FireBrigade rescue trapped #Seagull #HappyDays #Brighton
    http://t.co/pFVwJoX0zm

[what I did was right-click the image-link on its full Twitterpage and "copied the short-cut"]
    Cheers mod :)

Lord knows what political betting opportunities would have been missed without that getting posted on here ;) Phew!
    Of course you can't actually see a seagull, so perhaps you could have just posted a stock picture of a fire engine in a street?

Or read back issues of Plymouth Today?.

edit: Goodness! Just noticed that your story was in Brighton. Here are two from Plymouth, in 2008 and 2013. Looks like a regular order of business...

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Plymouth-firecrew-rescues-seagull/story-19487964-detail/story.html

http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/brigade-defends-800-cost-seagull-rescue/story-12692546-detail/story.html#axzz2gyJjfmgw

• Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    Scott_P said:

Neil said:

I've been away for the weekend but catching up with reading I see the weekend FT said he would stand in South Thanet?

Yes, and then I think he denied it on TV this morning.
    Thanks - he should pick now and start working the constituency hard! I dont see what waiting achieves.
  • Options

Might be worth a punt on AVB getting the boot at Spurs before Xmas.

Terrible result today - back to the bad old days of losing after a europa league game under Harry...

Our squad was supposed to be bigger etc and yet AVB took nearly all of them to Russia and back on Thursday - even Townsend who wasn't even on the bench... Holtby been playing with Defoe, Erikssen with Soldado - AVB threw that all out the window today. Defoe is a flat track bully or whatever the phrase is...

Some tough games ahead and you may yet be right! You can always rely on Spurs to let us down.

• Options

Might be worth a punt on AVB getting the boot at Spurs before Xmas.

Terrible result today - back to the bad old days of losing after a europa league game under Harry...
    And ironically, Harry was also a previous Hammers manager :)
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,908
    George Osborne is being urged to bring in a simple flat tax system after it emerged that some middle income families are paying an effective rate of 73 per cent because they have been stripped of their child benefit.
  • Options
    NextNext Posts: 826

George Osborne is being urged to bring in a simple flat tax system after it emerged that some middle income families are paying an effective rate of 73 per cent because they have been stripped of their child benefit.

Good idea. Say a flat tax rate of 20% for everybody?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Neil said:

Scott_P said:

*** BETTING POST ***

@pppolitics: Nigel Farage WILL stand as MP at next GE - which constituency? Boston&Skegness, Folkestone&Hythe joint 9/2 favs #UKIP http://t.co/gynHk1NaeY

I've been away for the weekend but catching up with reading I see the weekend FT said he would stand in South Thanet?
    The FT was just speculating.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Scott_P said:

Neil said:

Yes, and then I think he denied it on TV this morning.
    Thanks - he should pick now and start working the constituency hard! I dont see what waiting achieves.
    I think he subscribes to the view that work delayed is work avoided.

Of course it reduces his chance of winning, but he's having too much fun in the sun right now to care.
  • Options
    Football manager gossip: the most boring topic on earth.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @BBCBreaking: Deputy Chief Whip John Randall has resigned from the government, Downing Street has said. http://t.co/lV5FEcubLr
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@BBCBreaking: Deputy Chief Whip John Randall has resigned from the government, Downing Street has said. http://t.co/lV5FEcubLr

Something to do with the Andrew Mitchell affair?
  • Options
    BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536
    surbiton said:
    In fairness Iain Martin has been on top of this story since Day One. Utterly bonkers - our family are in that group...

• Options
    "Former cabinet minister Liam Fox successfully claimed 3p of taxpayers' money for a car journey of about 100 metres, expenses documents show.

Mr Fox's office made the claim after he travelled a distance recorded as 0.06 miles in October 2012."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24420681
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    Govt Deputy Chief Whip John Randall resigns. Re-shuffle on its way - likely moves for mid ranking ministers. Wider cabinet changes next yr nickrobinson
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Surprisingly good, non-PC documentary - by Rageh Omaar! - on BBC2 right now, analysing the Ottoman Empire.

It's a salutary reminder of just how cruel the Ottomans were (they taxed Christian families of their children - they stole kids); it therefore explains, implicitly, why Turkey/Islam is still so hated and feared in Greece and the Balkans, and consequently why Turkey will never be allowed to join the EU - too many south-east European countries would veto, reflexively.

Chopping off bits of people's bodies was a speciality of the Ottomans IIRC.

• Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    Chloe Smith too.
  • Options
    tim said:

AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:

Something to do with the Andrew Mitchell affair?
    He's the bloke who got the letter from the copper and threatened to resign if Mitchell wasn't sacked isn't he?
    That's right.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    @AndyJS I would be surprised if any journalist could recreate that '100 yard journey of Liam Fox'. I would pay 3p to see if it is true. Google Earth shows it is nonsensical. Funny how so many have been taken in by this one.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    SeanT said:

Surprisingly good, non-PC documentary - by Rageh Omaar! - on BBC2 right now, analysing the Ottoman Empire.

It's a salutary reminder of just how cruel the Ottomans were (they taxed Christian families of their children - they stole kids); it therefore explains, implicitly, why Turkey/Islam is still so hated and feared in Greece and the Balkans, and consequently why Turkey will never be allowed to join the EU - too many south-east European countries would veto, reflexively.

A surprisingly common tactic throughout history, I've always thought, whether it's Francoist Spain or 16th century Ottoman Empire.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    tim said:

Looks like the "sorry I couldn't get you your missile strikes but I'll promote some women if you insist" reshuffle is underway

So far it is just the jokers removed from the pack rather than a full shuffle.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

@AndyJS I would be surprised if any journalist could recreate that '100 yard journey of Liam Fox'. I would pay 3p to see if it is true. Google Earth shows it is nonsensical. Funny how so many have been taken in by this one.

How does Google Earth show whether an expense claim was submitted or not?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

What happened there, then? Is there some backstory - some salacious gossip?

She loved George Osborne so much she laid down her political career for him.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Hope Kris Hopkins (tipped some time ago) gets a job. Sound man. Deserves it.
  • Options
    tim said:

Chloe Smith resigns, that will leave a vacuum

Hoover or Dyson?
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Miss Smith must be 7 shades of useless if they've already tried her in 2 position for a year and had to get rid both times, despite the demographic desirability of having her on the pay roll.
  • Options
    Neil said:

dr_spyn said:

How does Google Earth show whether an expense claim was submitted or not?
    dr_spyn seems to know the area and has posted that the direct route isn't navigable due to a disused railway line. Hence the map plotting function the papers are using to measure the distance isn't right.

Or something. I don't really care.
  • Options
    Truly idiotic stunt kills eight people in Mexico:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7OYFQeX85s&amp
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Sunil,

Are you channeling Godfrey Bloom?

tim said:

Chloe Smith resigns, that will leave a vacuum

Hoover or Dyson?
  • Options
    tim said:

SeanT said:

OK, this is weird.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2245827/Minister-Chloe-Smith-proposes-boyfriend-Sandy-McFadzean-whirlwind-4-month-romance.html

Really? Him?!

I can't help feeling that we're not getting the entire story. But maybe I am just sad, middle-aged and enviously suspicious.

She's crap, that's all.
    That's a very voluminous coat she's wearing in the photos.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    @Neil

The factory has two sites, and by car the route to the surgery is between 1/3 mile and 3/4 mile. The receipt refers to two post codes, but if you were to drive or walk, there is no way that only 100 yards is covered. The area is criss crossed by streams, a disused railway line.
  • Options
    NextNext Posts: 826
    AndyJS said:

Truly idiotic stunt kills eight people in Mexico:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7OYFQeX85s&amp

I know people make fun of Health 'n' Safety. But it does have its place.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    New thread
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    And Dave, Gavin Barwell is also on the Hersham list for preferment. Make it so.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

@Neil

The factory has two sites, and by car the route to the surgery is between 1/3 mile and 3/4 mile. The receipt refers to two post codes, but if you were to drive or walk, there is no way that only 100 yards is covered. The area is criss crossed by streams, a disused railway line.

How does any of this show that the reported expense claim wasnt made?
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    tim said:

Looks like the "sorry I couldn't get you your missile strikes but I'll promote some women if you insist" reshuffle is underway

Draper's bid to smear Samantha Cameron continues...

What happened to your firm principles about leaving family members out of this? Or does that just apply to dead Marxists?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,130
    I'm hoping for a job for Kwasi Kwarteng or Gavin Barwell.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited October 2013
    SeanT said:

tim said:

SeanT said:

OK, this is weird.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2245827/Minister-Chloe-Smith-proposes-boyfriend-Sandy-McFadzean-whirlwind-4-month-romance.html

Really? Him?!

I can't help feeling that we're not getting the entire story. But maybe I am just sad, middle-aged and enviously suspicious.

She's crap, that's all.
    Tish tish, tim. You love gossip as much as I. A bit of googling and you will see all kinds of crustacean-joustering possibilities.

I thought you were up to speed.
    My guess is that these are two junior ministers being allowed to announce their resignations in advance of a wider reshuffle to mitigate the impression that they have been ignominiously sacked.

Chloe Smith married earlier this year and has a by election gain and marginal to retain in 2015. Allowing her to announce she is stepping down to concentrate on her constituency work before the reshuffle improves her re-election chances.

• Options
    @Neil I would be surprised if the speedometer read 0.6 of a mile rather than 0.06 of a mile. It might be just that.
This discussion has been closed.