Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » YouGov finds big decline in those thinking that LAB will wi

13»

Comments

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    For cat lovers :^ )

RT @MYSADCAT: My cat is sad because he tried to get to Glastonbury earlier this year but his lift didn't show up. pic.twitter.com/Aq2spQgCTk

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BVbucWICMAAn_vq.jpg:small
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,995
    felix said:

malcolmg said:

From earlier this week:

"The abolition of tuition fees has not encouraged more Scottish children from poor families to go to university, according to an expert report that raised major doubts whether the flagship SNP policy is good value for taxpayers."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/10354393/Free-fees-does-not-help-poor-attend-Scottish-universities.html

Yes they would be far better off paying £9K a year rather than getting free education , only dumb unionists could try and support that bollocks notion , bit like the bedroom tax helping the poor and disabled.

Classic 'dumb' misunderstanding of the term 'free' education and really quite rude about the Edinburgh University research team who produced the report.
    Thicko, I know it is not free, but it is free at the point of service. Every taxpayer contributes to hopefully get a return in tax paid by the people who advance their knowledge and become productive members of society.
    It is certainly much better than charging everyone £9K which would mean even less "poor" people would go to university. The whole point is that if it is free then poor people have a chance to go, they would not if they thought they were saddling themselves with £36 millstone. If the Edinburgh research team cannot work that out in their taxpayer funded research they need to find a job suited to their mediocre skills.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    malcolmg said:

felix said:

malcolmg said:

From earlier this week:

"The abolition of tuition fees has not encouraged more Scottish children from poor families to go to university, according to an expert report that raised major doubts whether the flagship SNP policy is good value for taxpayers."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/10354393/Free-fees-does-not-help-poor-attend-Scottish-universities.html

Yes they would be far better off paying £9K a year rather than getting free education , only dumb unionists could try and support that bollocks notion , bit like the bedroom tax helping the poor and disabled.

Classic 'dumb' misunderstanding of the term 'free' education and really quite rude about the Edinburgh University research team who produced the report.
    Thicko, I know it is not free, but it is free at the point of service. Every taxpayer contributes to hopefully get a return in tax paid by the people who advance their knowledge and become productive members of society.
    It is certainly much better than charging everyone £9K which would mean even less "poor" people would go to university. The whole point is that if it is free then poor people have a chance to go, they would not if they thought they were saddling themselves with £36 millstone. If the Edinburgh research team cannot work that out in their taxpayer funded research they need to find a job suited to their mediocre skills.
    We could do without the gratuitous insults. The fact is you have no evidence that the fees are reducing uptake. The problem with bandying about the term 'free' in the way you did means an awful lot of 'thickos' believe it.
  • Options
    New poll in Catalonia shows Catalans preferring Devo-max - or in this case, what the Basques have currently - to independence. A solution is there if politicians want it.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

New poll in Catalonia shows Catalans preferring Devo-max - or in this case, what the Basques have currently - to independence. A solution is there if politicians want it.

I suspect they won't want to compromise - nationalism is not one of those isms which lends itself to it.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    Diane James predicts UKIP will have 60 'winnable' targets in 2015.

http://youtu.be/bZi7NXoPvPE
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,995
    edited October 2013
    felix said:

malcolmg said:

felix said:

malcolmg said:

From earlier this week:

We could do without the gratuitous insults. The fact is you have no evidence that the fees are reducing uptake. The problem with bandying about the term 'free' in the way you did means an awful lot of 'thickos' believe it.
    OK for you to call me dumb but not OK for me to call you thick. I assume I am discussing subjects with at least average intelligenc epeople on here and at a minimum expect them to understand what I meant. There are few people who believe anything is free. Look at yourself before insulting others.

Also I did not mention anything regarding reduction in intake. I said that there was more chance of tehm going if they paid zero rater than paying £9K a year.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Isn't that the surprising conclusion to this study? Despite Scotland having "free" fees and English universities having substantial ones, working class students are becoming fewer in Sctland and increasing as a proportion in England. This counter intuitive finding is put down to English universities being required to reach out to underpriveliged students as a condition for being allowed to charge high fees, as well as the money to make these sort of initiatives.
    malcolmg said:

felix said:

malcolmg said:

felix said:

malcolmg said:

From earlier this week:

It is certainly much better than charging everyone £9K which would mean even less "poor" people would go to university. The whole point is that if it is free then poor people have a chance to go, they would not if they thought they were saddling themselves with £36 millstone. If the Edinburgh research team cannot work that out in their taxpayer funded research they need to find a job suited to r.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932
    Ola! Just back from a few days in the Dominican Republic. It must be one of the friendliest places on the planet - assuming you are a tourist and have dollars. It seems to have come a long way from the days of General Trujillo. Without googling who knows the name of the President of the Republic? He represents the Domican Liberation Party whose party label uses the same colours as UKIP ( but without the £ sign obviously).
    Perhaps a tip for George Osborne as well - you have to pay US$10 to get in and US$20 to get out!
This discussion has been closed.