Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » An awful amount of excrement has just hit the fan for Trump

2»

Comments

• Options

Y0kel said:

An impeachment could well bring about President Pence.

I am not sure that is anything to wish for.

He is potentially in the firing line too. A number of the GOP hierarchy are. If not in legal terms certainly in association.
    Next in line of succession is Leader of the House of Representatives.

Assuming Democrats take Congress, then it would be one of their number. And I do not see that is a way of establishing legitimacy for any President.

Far more likely would be to inflict maximum damage on the Republicans and let them serve out the end of this term in hope of a big Electoral College win in November 2020.

Trying to gain the presidency mid-term by way of impeachment might be legitimate in terms of the constitution - but it is no way democratic or desirable.
    Nor plausible. The GOP Senators might (unlikely but might) impeach someone who gets replaced by one of their own number.

The GOP Senwtors never would impeach both the President and Veep simultaneously resulting in a Democratic takeover. It simply won't happen.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

Y0kel said:

An impeachment could well bring about President Pence.

I am not sure that is anything to wish for.

He is potentially in the firing line too. A number of the GOP hierarchy are. If not in legal terms certainly in association.
    Next in line of succession is Leader of the House of Representatives.

Assuming Democrats take Congress, then it would be one of their number. And I do not see that is a way of establishing legitimacy for any President.

Far more likely would be to inflict maximum damage on the Republicans and let them serve out the end of this term in hope of a big Electoral College win in November 2020.

Trying to gain the presidency mid-term by way of impeachment might be legitimate in terms of the constitution - but it is no way democratic or desirable.
    Nor plausible. The GOP Senators might (unlikely but might) impeach someone who gets replaced by one of their own number.

The GOP Senwtors never would impeach both the President and Veep simultaneously resulting in a Democratic takeover. It simply won't happen.
    The TV way would be to go for Pence first then refuse to confirm Trump's nominee for replacement. In the interim, then you go for Trump meaning on his removal, it would go to the Speaker of the House of Representatives.

It would be a spectacle - but an unlikely one.

More likely would be to remove Trump and then just prod away at Pence for the remaining months in office.

I still fear for the world with Pence in charge. He is ideologically far more dangerous.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    kle4 said:

Campaign finance violators should not be allowed the fruits of victory.

Punishment in all things has to be proportionate, things cannot be declared null and void for violations where the impact, even if significant, is difficult to quantify precisely. It's not an argument for people not being punished, but there is a reason every such violation does not result in elections being voided - it's a very awful idea.
    Indeed, it would be collective punishment of the winning voters, regardless of whether the violator's actions influenced the binary (i.e. win/lose rather than percentage) result of the election.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790

Does that last tweet from Keiran reamlly mean to say "Fox news: Clinton implicated in campaign finance lawbreaking" ??

I think he's being ironical about Fox.

But I wonder if the Trump fans won't just shrug this off. "Some sleazy guys I've never heard of did some plea bargains to implicate Trump, when will they stop ganging up on him?" They might concede that his judgment is choosing associates is proving sub-optimal.
    In the same way you shrug off Corbyn's despicable passive endorsement of anti-Semites
This discussion has been closed.