Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » That YouGov CON 4% lead poll looks very much out of line

2»

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    Remember for a time after Corbyn was elected that it seemed like Ken and Abbott were touring the studios praising him every day? I've not seen tonight's piece, but I would think Corbyn's team would not want Williamson to be taking on a role like that - he lacks some of the good points of those two.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

Williamson totally destroyed by Evan.

Utterly.

He suddenly has lost words.

I wonder why.

BBC - back of the net!!!!

The Cult won't like it. Not one little bit......
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Danny565 said:

Another attempt at diverting attention from the matter under discussion.

I get that you are clearly embarrassed by the state of affairs within the Labour Party. But these things have to be confronted otherwise the situation will never change.

Corbyn could have set in motion proper disciplinary processes to remove those guilty of abuse from the party - but he didn't.

So before we move on to other parties - how about sticking to the matter under discussion?

Why hasn't Theresa May "tackled" the people abusing Abbott and other Labour politicians, or set in motion proper disciplinary processes for those people?

You can call it diverting attention all you want, but if you don't want to answer that question then I'm going to keep pointing out you're a hypocrite.
    I started this discussion by raising the issue of the abuse faced by Ian Austin - you have chosen to ignore that and raise a different topic.

I shall not bother attempting any further dialogue with someone who is clearly not prepared to engage.

Diverting attention is a classic technique used by those who have no answer. I think we know where you stand. Tory abuse - bad. Labour abuse - good.

Thank you for making that clear.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    kle4 said:

Remember for a time after Corbyn was elected that it seemed like Ken and Abbott were touring the studios praising him every day? I've not seen tonight's piece, but I would think Corbyn's team would not want Williamson to be taking on a role like that - he lacks some of the good points of those two.

The weird thing is, I saw him on TV a couple of times before 2015, and I remember him seeming quite non-descript for a Labour MP; he didn't even seem particularly out of line with the soggy Miliband ethos of the time.

But he seems to have had a complete personality/politics transplant since losing his seat in 2015.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

AndyJS said:

I'm getting confused about Corbyn's wreath-laying activities. Sometimes it's 1992, sometimes 1985, sometimes 2012.

I think these is the dates of when the individuals in question died in terror acts
    Okay, thanks.
  • Options
    Time to say good night.

I wish everyone a good nights rest
  • Options
    edited August 2018

All I am saying is that just being online draws abuse. Our town has a Facebook page and a guy pointed out that you couldn’t return to The Aldi car park within a few hours or you would get a ticket. He shared it to help people out, and what he got was about ten posts calling him an idiot. The organisation my wife works for often posts about local projects - good things for the local community, and it is so disheartening to see all the critical posts.

When we talk about vitriol Labour conference sold t-shirts about celebrating Thatchers death. Shadow chancellor McDonnell said a fellow MP should be lynched (incitement to violence). Most of the right wing nutters migrated to UKIP as evidenced by the frankly idiotic and nonsensical post by Batten today

You are right being online draws abuse. I have sympathy for anyone on the receiving end of it (well, within reason - some things deserve very opprobrious reactions, so long as it does not devolve into racist/sexist/etc abuse). Some will also suffer worse than others, and others will make specifically abusive comments which are worse than, say, a lot of messages saying 'Resign, you terrible man/woman' or whatever. But I don't see the issue with expressing sympathy with Abbott, a woman I really do not like, for receiving a lot of racist abuse, without qualifying that remark by noting that people on the other side of the divide get a lot of crap too. It doesn't mean I don't have sympathy with others or would not condemn comments like McDonnell's because I didn't mention it at that particular moment.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    Danny565 said:

I get that you are clearly embarrassed by the state of affairs within the Labour Party. But these things have to be confronted otherwise the situation will never change.

Corbyn could have set in motion proper disciplinary processes to remove those guilty of abuse from the party - but he didn't.

So before we move on to other parties - how about sticking to the matter under discussion?

Why hasn't Theresa May "tackled" the people abusing Abbott and other Labour politicians, or set in motion proper disciplinary processes for those people?

You can call it diverting attention all you want, but if you don't want to answer that question then I'm going to keep pointing out you're a hypocrite.
    If a Tory member or councillor has posted racist or sexist abuse they should face disciplinary action. I’m not really aware of these official Tories who have been abusing Abbott and getting away with it rather than internet trolls.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,426

Williamson totally destroyed by Evan.

Utterly.

He suddenly has lost words.

I wonder why.

BBC - back of the net!!!!

The Cult won't like it. Not one little bit......
    https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1029487092974403592
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

kle4 said:

The weird thing is, I saw him on TV a couple of times before 2015, and I remember him seeming quite non-descript for a Labour MP; he didn't even seem particularly out of line with the soggy Miliband ethos of the time.

But he seems to have had a complete personality/politics transplant since losing his seat in 2015.
    Ah, so he lost his seat and has now won it back (under the Corbyn surge)? It starts to make a little more sense to me now - I guess he took that loss very hard.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited August 2018

Danny565 said:

I started this discussion by raising the issue of the abuse faced by Ian Austin - you have chosen to ignore that and raise a different topic.

I shall not bother attempting any further dialogue with someone who is clearly not prepared to engage.

Diverting attention is a classic technique used by those who have no answer. I think we know where you stand. Tory abuse - bad. Labour abuse - good.

Nope, your topic was claiming Labour was particularly bad for abuse, and that Labour supporters had "taken it to new depths". I think it's entirely relevant to that topic to argue that (as I see it), another party has supporters who are just as bad, and that it's a Labour politician who statistically receives the most abuse.

But, since you are not willing to explain why you are hypocritically demanding things of Corbyn that you are not demanding of May, I agree with you that further debate on this is pointless. Have a good night.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

Nope, your topic was claiming Labour was particularly bad for abuse, and that Labour supporters had "plumbed new depths". I think it's entirely relevant to that topic to argue that (as I see it), another party has supporters who are just as bad, and that it's a Labour politician who statistically receives the most abuse.

But, since you are not willing to explain why you are hypocritically demanding things of Corbyn that you are not demanding of May, I agree with you that further debate on this is pointless. Have a good night.
    If you had once dealt with the issue of abuse within Labour (Labour on Labour attacks) - I would have been willing to broaden the scope. But you weren't.

I made no comment or comparison between Labour and other parties. So your attempt to divert the discussion was a clear attempt at avoiding the issue.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

Nope, your topic was claiming Labour was particularly bad for abuse, and that Labour supporters had "taken it to new depths". I think it's entirely relevant to that topic to argue that (as I see it), another party has supporters who are just as bad, and that it's a Labour politician who statistically receives the most abuse.

Did Mrs May commemorate any terrorists?
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    He will blame Remainers for not getting behind the new slogan, soon enough. Goodwin waiting to happen.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

Not being funny Danny but I don’t see Tory abuse. I see internet trolling by anonymous posters. Labour abuse tends to come from twitter accounts from named people with #jc9 in the name - this is the Corbyn crowd.
  • Options
    Just watched the Williamson car crash.

The official Labour lines just keen unravelling and all they can do is to smear and lie.

It is painful to watch.

We need viable opposition parties in our system. Labour is failing. Failing to uphold basic standards. Failing to represent the electors who sent them to Parliament. Failing to represent all sectors of their constituencies.

It is a sorry, sorry state of affairs.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    Tomorrow - 15th August - is the Feast of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary and a very big feast day in Italy - Ferragosto. Traditionally a time for parties and celebrations and festivities of all kinds.

I cannot imagine much festivity in Genoa. 35 dead, others injured and the emergency services stretched to capacity. Think of those mourning their loss tonight in such a brutal and tragic way.

Carpe diem.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,897

Roger said:

kle4 said:

TGOHF said:
    I don't particularly see why a failure to declare a trip would bring him down. Why would that, even if he should have done it in this case and it is a breach, tip his base into not backing him? The most passionate clearly see backing him as a moral imperative.
    I'm not sure quite why Corbyn should have declared a visit to Tunisia? More worrying is the 80% of the Tory Party who are 'Friends of Israel' if this story is to be believed. It makes the influence of the NRA on the Republican Party look inadequate. Interesting to know how many parliamentarians of both parties who got paid for hospitality.

www.spectator.co.uk/2018/05/the-tories-never-condemn-the-naked-racism-of-benjamin-netanyahu-they-should/
    FFS Roger - if he accepted hospitality over £300 he is required to declare in the register of interests.
    Well he shouldn't have. None of the MPs should take 'hospitality' from foreign governments or anyone else for that matter. He who plays the piper calls the tune and if he doesn't it looks like he does. Professionals get offered stuff all the time from meals upwards and it's a very wise rule never to accept it.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

There really is some wanky stuff on this forum, from time to time. I think it started with “It’s a view” and just generally flatlined from there.
  • Options
    "Sarah Champion was sitting on the pier at Whitby the other day, enjoying the sunshine, when she was startled by a loud bang. “I don’t know what it was, maybe a chair fell over but I jumped out of my skin,” she says. “I thought it was a gunshot.”"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/sarah-champion-mp-nightmare-since-spoke-child-sex-abuse-rings/
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Danny565 said:

There really is some wanky stuff on this forum, from time to time. I think it started with “It’s a view” and just generally flatlined from there.
    Thank you for that utterly pointless contribution. It ranks alongside your 'mid term polling isn't worth anything' line that gets trotted out on a very regular basis.
  • Options
    William_HWilliam_H Posts: 346

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

She sells them guns
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    kle4 said:

justin124 said:

Pulpstar said:

Will Fox and Crabb be running again ?

I cannot see Crabb running again - he is far too discredited even in his own constituency.
    I forgot he even ran - any particular reason he is discredited even inhis own constituency?
    Family man with strong moral values ... and a bit on the side
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    William_H said:

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

She sells them guns
    The British government sells guns?

• Options

Williamson is an utter disgrace.

I heard him (and of him) for the first time this morning. He seemed relatively OK compred to Abbott Long-Bailey and Barry Gardiner who they usually wheel out. Did he soil himself?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

One should expect to see outliers from time to time. I agree that the parties are essentially tied on a little under 40%.

I too think people overanalyse these surveys. Who really gives enough of a fig to give a useful answer to pollsters? The summary is that both main parties are an international embarrassment and the Liberals are irrelevant. Nicola Sturgeon is a decent enough port in the storm if you happen to be Scottish.
  • Options

The official Labour lines just keen unravelling and all they can do is to smear and lie.

It is painful to watch.

We need viable opposition parties in our system. Labour is failing. Failing to uphold basic standards. Failing to represent the electors who sent them to Parliament. Failing to represent all sectors of their constituencies.

Yep. It is reprehensible.

And we are all the poorer for it, as no government works well with an opposition as utterly morally bankrupt as this shower.

• Options

It is painful to watch.

It might be the closest thing I’ve ever seen to a snuff movie. When Evans does the ‘true or false’ he just monsters him.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146

I liked the way he called Corbyn “a man of peace” which made him sound like a terrorist himself.
  • Options

Anazina said:

Danny565 said:

Thank you for that utterly pointless contribution. It ranks alongside your 'mid term polling isn't worth anything' line that gets trotted out on a very regular basis.
    I have indeed made this case several times but still people obsess about them. Who cares? Random number generators amid the most dismal political scene in two generations.
  • Options
    notme said:

William_H said:

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

She sells them guns

I might need to buy one, do you have an email address?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Tomorrow - 15th August - is the Feast of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary and a very big feast day in Italy - Ferragosto. Traditionally a time for parties and celebrations and festivities of all kinds.

I cannot imagine much festivity in Genoa. 35 dead, others injured and the emergency services stretched to capacity. Think of those mourning their loss tonight in such a brutal and tragic way.

Carpe diem.

I knw the bridge reasonably well. You always feel slightly relieved when you get to the other side. It never looks or feels safe.
  • Options
    Roger said:

I heard him (and of him) for the first time this morning. He seemed relatively OK compred to Abbott Long-Bailey and Barry Gardiner who they usually wheel out. Did he soil himself?
    Evans was utterly polite but forensic, Williamson was bluffing his way that it was a right wing conspiracy etc. But Evans just laid it down. He stated that Corbyn laid a wreath on the graves of members of black September, and asked Williamson ‘true or false’. Williamson just crumbled.
  • Options
    notme said:

It is painful to watch.

It might be the closest thing I’ve ever seen to a snuff movie. When Evans does the ‘true or false’ he just monsters him.
    It's a shame there were only five of us watching, being as it is Newsnight and the summer holidays.
  • Options

notme said:

William_H said:

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

She sells them guns

I might need to buy one, do you have an email address?
    For a government that seems to outsource everything it seems strange that it actually makes guns, and then sells them on.

• Options
    notme said:

Roger said:

Evans was utterly polite but forensic, Williamson was bluffing his way that it was a right wing conspiracy etc. But Evans just laid it down. He stated that Corbyn laid a wreath on the graves of members of black September, and asked Williamson ‘true or false’. Williamson just crumbled.
    As I say, after weeks of moaning about BBC journalism, this was a back of the net moment.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Williamson, "making heavy weather of this".

2+2 = 4.

"Oh I think you are making heavy weather of basic arithmetic there. What about 5? 5 might be right. It appears to me that 5 might be right."

It’s a silly question

The answers are:

(I) More than three
    (II) Rather less than five
    (III) The Belgians

An afficianado will not need google
  • Options
    A UKIP councillor has a unique take on the Ben Stokes incident.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/ukip-pervert-prostitute-ben-stokes-1891762
  • Options
    Poor old Jeremy. Probably given a sheath of iof prayers in Arabic and someone passed him a wreath and just pointed....Never easy to do anything but go with the flow when you don't speak the language particularly when the language is Arabic which sounds like you're on a rifle range.
  • Options

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/ukip-pervert-prostitute-ben-stokes-1891762

Parish councillor... there quite possibly wasn’t even an election...
  • Options
    notme said:

Parish councillor... there quite possibly wasn’t even an election...
    A quick google confirms there wasn't.

Unusual for a parish council to have party political reps, in my experience, outside of larger town councils at any rate.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Poor old Jeremy. Probably given a sheath of iof prayers in Arabic and someone passed him a wreath and just pointed....Never easy to do anything but go with the flow when you don't speak the language particularly when the language is Arabic which sounds like you're on a rifle range.

And of course none of the people there spoke any English. Honestly, Roger: pull the other one.

• Options
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited August 2018

I miss those old headline stories about outrageous tweets and statements by nonentity UKIP parish councillors from Tiddly on the Wold and the like - so very 2014! The fact we are getting them again suggests someone might be a bit worried about their recent slight rise in the polls.

This bloke has just come back from a suspension from the party and he may will be suspended again quite soon!

Most parish councillors just become so because they bother to turn up.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    edited August 2018
    What is it with these Pleading Graylings?

We have a, "C. Grayling" pleading with unions and train firms over rail fares rises.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45189369

and we also have "AC Grayling" pleading for a second referendum.

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/ac-grayling-there-are-no-arguments-against-a-second-referendum-1-5
  • Options
    Roger said:

The problem is that he wants to ride both horses. He wants to appear to the right crowd that he does really support the Palestinians of all extremities - they have after all been forced into by the ‘apartheid’ Israeli state - they are modern day mandelas if you will. He also wants to appear that he is for peace and would listen to all reasonable sides.

A reasonable person would say what you suggested, but then the tricky part. If you accidentally honoured terrorists by praying and laying wreaths then why wouldn’t you apologise. People say sorry for all sorts of things nowadays. If it was an honest mistake. The problem is despite all the evidence Williamson - the Corbyn representative - spent the interview trying to muddy the waters and smear his opponents.
  • Options
    If I were a journalist I would be trying to get Corbyn and his acolytes to answer very simple questions. I liked Davies true or false attempt because it made it obvious that Williamson wasn’t answering the question.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    stjohn said:

What is it with these Pleading Graylings?

We have a, "C. Grayling" pleading with unions and train firms over rail fares rises.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45189369

and we also have "AC Grayling" pleading for a second referendum.

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/ac-grayling-there-are-no-arguments-against-a-second-referendum-1-5

The former has the legal power to enforce what he is politely asking the rail unions and operators to do - cap fare rises at CPI - the latter seems to think he has far more power and influence than he does.

PS The picture in the first article of the women and the two kids rushing to board a train looks very odd?
  • Options
    That comedy UKIP parish councillor has some good material.

https://twitter.com/Cllr_Winter/status/1025799540249640965
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    There are Palestinians who advocate non-violence, there were Irish nationalists who advocated non-violence. If you are a man of peace who agrees with a cause THATS the people you associate with.

Corbyn didn't and doesn't.

The man is a dick.
  • Options
    You know you are struggling when you say something is false and the guardian put false in quotation marks

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/aug/14/labour-calls-claims-about-corbyn-palestinian-cemetery-visit-false
  • Options

If I were a journalist I would be trying to get Corbyn and his acolytes to answer very simple questions. I liked Davies true or false attempt because it made it obvious that Williamson wasn’t answering the question.

The simple question is to ask him for the names and dates of when he has met with people on the other side to bring them together with Palestinians to debate and advance the cause of peace.

Have you ever met with representatives of the Israeli government? Have you ever met with reprrsentatives of the Israeli settler movement? Have you ever met with representatives of each the Jewish parties in the Knesset? And so on.

If he says yes ask him for dates and names and proof.

The same can be asked of him for any of the other causes he espouses.

• Options

Corbyn will be avoiding as many journalists as he can for the foreseeable future - unless they 'write' for The Canary or Skwawkbox... he doesn't do scrutiny
  • Options

Corbyn will be avoiding as many journalists as he can for the foreseeable future - unless they 'write' for The Canary or Skwawkbox... he doesn't do scrutiny
    Bodes well for PMQs should he ever make it to no. 10.

Still an enterprising journalist could go through all his Morning Star articles and expense claims and Register of Interests and conferences sponsored and invitations to Parliament issued and work out whether any people from the other side of the debate have ever been in contact with Corbyn.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    brendan16 said:

Nigelb said:

glw said:

kle4 said:

Look on the bright side, maybe Boris will take over the Tories and try to develop his own Trump style support like Corbyn, what a contest that would then be!

That is precisely why the Tories must resist the temptation of selecting Boris, we should all be heading in the oposite direction to Trump, not adopting his ways. We could really do with some straight-laced, competent, and somewhat boring leadership right now.

It is not even Trump that worries me the most, but the prospect that Trump may evade justice, and then future politicians — without Trump's baggage and stupidity — follow in his path. Imagine another Nixon in the 2020s, what would he be able to get away with?
    Trump is another Nixon.
    Is he going to win every state bar Massachusetts when he is re elected for a second term then?
    Well, that was the funny thing about Nixon. He was going to be re-elected easily. The economy was in good shape, and Vietnam was being dialed down.

And yet he was so paranoid he green lighted a burglary of the DNC's offices.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I've been reading this article on Google Translate:

"The engineer who in 2016 said: "The Morandi bridge is a failure. It must be replaced"

https://www.corriere.it/politica/18_agosto_14/quando-sito-5-stelle-si-diceva-il-crollo-ponte-morandi-favoletta-142edad6-9fc8-11e8-9437-bcf7bbd7366b.shtml
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I do wish the LDs would wake up and get their own weirdly devoted fanbase thing going with one of their MPs, they must be feeling left out.

LDs have been in double figures in quite a few recent polls which is a small improvement.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    rcs1000 said:

brendan16 said:

Nigelb said:

glw said:

kle4 said:

Look on the bright side, maybe Boris will take over the Tories and try to develop his own Trump style support like Corbyn, what a contest that would then be!

That is precisely why the Tories must resist the temptation of selecting Boris, we should all be heading in the oposite direction to Trump, not adopting his ways. We could really do with some straight-laced, competent, and somewhat boring leadership right now.

It is not even Trump that worries me the most, but the prospect that Trump may evade justice, and then future politicians — without Trump's baggage and stupidity — follow in his path. Imagine another Nixon in the 2020s, what would he be able to get away with?
    Trump is another Nixon.
    Is he going to win every state bar Massachusetts when he is re elected for a second term then?
    Well, that was the funny thing about Nixon. He was going to be re-elected easily. The economy was in good shape, and Vietnam was being dialed down.

And yet he was so paranoid he green lighted a burglary of the DNC's offices.
    Parties/candidates heading for landslide victories are often nervous about what might happen. If you watch the 1983 election show, Norman Tebbit was worried about losing Guildford about 45 minutes before the Tories won it easily.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Bodes well for PMQs should he ever make it to no. 10.

Still an enterprising journalist could go through all his Morning Star articles and expense claims and Register of Interests and conferences sponsored and invitations to Parliament issued and work out whether any people from the other side of the debate have ever been in contact with Corbyn.
    I am sure there are people picking apart everything again. It will be forensic detail that exposes more lies.

No one single thing will be enough to bring this farce to an end. But the effect will be cumulative and change will come.

All we can do is keep repeating the truth.
  • Options
This discussion has been closed.