Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » David is showing signs of beating Goliath

Comments

• Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    edited October 2013
    @Next

'If Miliband needs to adopt a David v Goliath position, it is an admission that he has no strength in all the conventional arguments like on the economy'

Too far too fast - fail, double dip recession - fail, triple dip recession - fail, benefit cap - fail, unemployment - fail, immigration - fail, EU referendum- fail,blank piece of paper - pass.

But tremendous courage against McBride when he was part of Brown's inner circle and chose to do nothing.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

antifrank said:

I see the pb mania for this story continues unabated. It's an odd form of collective lunacy.

It's this or a jock thread everyday

On second thoughts, let's keep talking about this story.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Now the Daily Mail joins whiners

http://t.co/hZDtTOBgAE

In the spirit of this fiasco they will shortly be claiming to be the paper that stormed the Iranian embassy or that single handedly ran Operation Flavius.

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Oh dear

Diane Abbott MP @HackneyAbbott
    Ridiculous smear campaign against @andyburnhammp He has fought a hugely effective fight against the Tories on health telegraph.co.uk/health/1035452…

CCHQ Press Office
    @RicHolden
    .@HackneyAbbott except, newspapers are reporting an FOI release of emails between civil servants that seriously implicate @andyburnhammp
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Now the Daily Mail joins whiners

http://t.co/hZDtTOBgAE

So the Daily Mail is whining but Labour and Milliband are not? Or is everyone whining? Or are their degrees of whininess? Indeed, aren't you now on the list of whiners, for whining about all the whining?

EVERYONE. SHUT UP NOW.
    In summary Ed is David and he avoided Goliath's club by lurching to the left.

Or something.
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    Bristolian News ‏@BristolianNews

Lib Dems in anti-jock shock!
    http://thebristolian.net/2013/04/28/local-elections-lib-dems-in-anti-jock-shock/

*chortle*

Not that it's a surprise of course.
    About as surprising as the toxicity of calamity Clegg and the relentless focus on him from PB.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Schards said:

So, a left winger who seeks to appeal to the left disliking the Daily Mail is not adopting a comfortable position?

What next, maybe he'll go totally leftfield and hate on Norman Tebbitt

Thatcher hating is always good, oh, hes been there already.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    dr_spyn said:
    Most undignified behaviour though, wasn't it? A sad case of 'Lib dems whining here' I fear.

:)
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    WTF?!?! LOL

Camilla Long @camillalong
    There isn't anything I don't love about the groom who staged a bomb scare at his own wedding venue because he had forgotten to book it

Camilla Long @camillalong
    @PlatoSays Too frightened to own up that he hadn't done the paperwork. So makes a terrorist threat instead
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,897
    @Alanbrooke

" I didn't know you did fire fighting. "

We all have to do a certain amount of fire fighting-sometimes known as getting down on all fours and seeing it from the clients point of view
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    TGOHF said:

Beeb has figures on CB uptake - seems like 83%+ are on the ball.

"So far, 410,000 people have opted out of receiving child benefit, generally because they earn and will continue to earn a taxable income of more than £60,000 and therefore would not be entitled to the payment.

Another 490,000 people have registered for self-assessment, which means that they would need to complete a tax return online by the end of January. They receive the total amount of child benefit, but then repay some of it in tax.

That leaves 195,000 people who need to take one of the two options - to register for self-assessment or opt out of receiving child benefit."

I am one of the 195,000.

I receive child benefit, but am already registered for self-assessment so I doubt I would show up in these numbers. I will pay back my free loan in January 2014.
  • Options
    Charles said:

TGOHF said:

"So far, 410,000 people have opted out of receiving child benefit, generally because they earn and will continue to earn a taxable income of more than £60,000 and therefore would not be entitled to the payment.

Another 490,000 people have registered for self-assessment, which means that they would need to complete a tax return online by the end of January. They receive the total amount of child benefit, but then repay some of it in tax.

That leaves 195,000 people who need to take one of the two options - to register for self-assessment or opt out of receiving child benefit."

I am one of the 195,000.

I receive child benefit, but am already registered for self-assessment so I doubt I would show up in these numbers. I will pay back my free loan in January 2014.
    Not entirely clear you are - you may be in the 490k group.

Either way 195k is hardly the millions that some anti welfare reform types were claiming would fined, tarred and feathered.

• Options
    tim said:
    Ah, the 'tu quoque' defence. Not always an indication of a secure position.
  • Options
    @Tim

'Can't see anyone unravelling the Michael Green family tree'

Any update on unraveling the identity of the politician that refers to voters as trash?
    Chuka Harrison,Chuka Obama or was it Chuka Umunna?
  • Options
    tim said:

TGOHF said:

Charles said:

TGOHF said:

I am one of the 195,000.

Not entirely clear you are - you may be in the 490k group.

Either way 195k is hardly the millions that some anti welfare reform types were claiming would fined, tarred and feathered.

Nobody was claiming millions, there were only 1.1m affected in total, not even the Mail and the Telegraph claimed millions

But remember the PB Tory mantra on this

70% marginal rates good
    50% marginal rates bad

Losing benefits isn't tax tim - it is widely known that all sensible posters know this.

• Options
    On third thoughts, let's go Scottish. A pb Tory favourite has written about how Alex Salmond's Scottish currency plans just don't add up, with especial reference to the Eurozone's problems:

http://www.scotsman.com/news/ed-balls-snp-independence-economics-don-t-add-up-1-3124850

"It was listening to Alex Salmond pretending that he could promise that Scotland would continue to use the UK pound after leaving the UK that moved me to enter the debate. In fact, the only way to guarantee the pound is to stay in the UK."

"A successful economic and monetary union requires a central bank ready to stand behind all countries and much greater economic and political integration – which is why the euro countries are now building both a banking union and much deeper and tougher fiscal rules and sanctions.

That’s why it is so strange that the SNP project, which seeks to dissolve the political and fiscal unions of the United Kingdom, should suggest establishing a eurozone-style monetary union.

Those very things that make a shared currency work, a truly integrated single market, common financial regulation and the ability to share out tax revenues around the country to even out economic imbalances, are what the Nationalists would have us dismantle. The promise that Scotland would continue to share a currency with the remainder of the UK simply isn’t one the Nationalists can make."

"How do we set-up a eurozone-style sterling-zone between these two separate countries? Can we convince taxpayers in the rest of the UK to carry the risks of being lender of last resort for Scottish banks? Is the euro experiment really worth repeating?

Alex Salmond cannot answer these questions, because they are not for him to determine. But here is one guarantee I can make. Whatever currency option Scotland ends up with after an independence vote, it will be less advantageous than what we have across the UK today."

• Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    tim said:

like Sergei Bubka used to break the pole vault record a centimetre at a time

Yelena Isinbayeva is the preferred pole-vaulting metaphwoar on pbc.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    @Mick_Pork LDs Finishing second there. It was an odd thing to do.

However, the odd little story about the Kingswood PPC who has stepped down, also had some unsavoury aspects.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Anger-choice-outsider-candidate/story-19523531-detail/story.html

A UNION leader has attacked Kingswood Labour Party's decision to pick an outsider over a local union activist as its candidate to fight the next general election.

Perhaps it was the missing sixth finger which didn't help.

• Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Interesting article, Henry, but the title is a bit confusing. It took me quite a while to work out that Mr Cameron is Goliath and Mr Miliband is David. So for most of the article I was on quite the wrong track, trying to see how & when Mr Cameron was doing such a grand job of etc, etc.

Now that would have been unconventional, on your part!
  • Options
    @Tim

Just replying to your moronic comment down thread, were you trying to outdo the PB Kinnocks?

'Can't see anyone unravelling the Michael Green family tree

"Have you ever come across Corinne Stockheath of Surrey? Or Dr JLM Richards of the Wallerson Trust in Dallas, Texas? Or Richard Warton of Tektriox in New York?

Please let me know if you have, as I’m having great trouble finding them. And, as you may have seen on Channel 4 News last night, the Conservative Chairman Grant Shapps doesn’t seem very keen to help me find them.'

• Options
    @Neil

Apparently 24 applications for Greenwich & Woolwich
  • Options
    Oh dear

Tim Shipman (Mail) @ShippersUnbound
    Mehdi also suggested he write 'a piece on why marriage should be a Labour value, and not just a Conservative one'.

Mehdi asked to 'write a piece for the Mail making the left-wing case against abortion'

Mehdi to Dacre 'I am also attracted by the Mail’s social conservatism on issues like marriage, the family, abortion and teenage pregnancies'

Mehdi told Paul Dacre 'my fellow leftists & liberals have lost touch with their own traditions & with the great British public'

Mehdi said he was more in tune with Mail than the left on some 'social & moral issues'

Mehdi Hasan told Paul Dacre: 'I admire your relentless focus on the need for integrity and morality in public life.'

@mehdirhasan to Paul Dacre, asking for a column: 'The Mail has a vitally important role to play in the national debate.'

Mehdi Hasan, who so vociferously attacked the Daily Mail on Question Time, asked for a job in 2010 & praised the paper equally floridly
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited October 2013
    john_zims said:

@Tim

'Can't see anyone unravelling the Michael Green family tree'

Any update on unraveling the identity of the politician that refers to voters as trash?
    Chuka Harrison,Chuka Obama or was it Chuka Umunna?

Is this him?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2304227/Internet-secrets-jetrosexual-Chuka-Umunna-party-loving-MP-hailed-Labours-Obama.html

• Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    SeanT said:

I stopped reading when I saw it was written by Henry G "Ed will be kicked out in 2012" Manson. Think that was line 2.
    Saved a bit of time.

I'd lost interest at the bizarre and incomprehensible "cartoon". The author's name was the coup de grâce. To think that it's a choice between David's traitor father and bloody Scotland again.

We need a by-election or similar. I'm assuming there's an unwritten PB rule that we can't have someone interesting assassinated to stir things up? Half the decent Labour scandals are on the Can't Talk About list.
  • Options
    BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536
    Neil said:

JohnO said:

No. the FT will be rhapsodically supportive. They backed Kinnock in 1992.

I am very confident the FT will back Cameron in 2015.

Confident enough to wager ;)

(Not that PB Tories should ever wager with each other!)
    Probably time to consign the PB Tory cocktail gag to history Neil...
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,907
    If EdM is wise he will close down this Mail story. We have had three weeks of politicians on the telly. It's too much.

It's time for all of them to go away for a bit.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Plato said:

Oh dear

Mehdi also suggested he write 'a piece on why marriage should be a Labour value, and not just a Conservative one'.

Mehdi asked to 'write a piece for the Mail making the left-wing case against abortion'

Mehdi to Dacre 'I am also attracted by the Mail’s social conservatism on issues like marriage, the family, abortion and teenage pregnancies'

Mehdi told Paul Dacre 'my fellow leftists & liberals have lost touch with their own traditions & with the great British public'

Mehdi said he was more in tune with Mail than the left on some 'social & moral issues'

Mehdi Hasan told Paul Dacre: 'I admire your relentless focus on the need for integrity and morality in public life.'

@mehdirhasan to Paul Dacre, asking for a column: 'The Mail has a vitally important role to play in the national debate.'

Mehdi Hasan, who so vociferously attacked the Daily Mail on Question Time, asked for a job in 2010 & praised the paper equally floridly

LOL - hypocricy - it's in their genes.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    tim said:

alex thomson ‏@alextomo
    #c4news EXCLUSIVE senior Dail Mail journalist admits for the first time the paper may have got things wrong over its article on R Miliband

Oh dear, those faithful PB Tories won't like that

Yeah it "maybeshould have been put in the comment section" - KGM

Stop the press.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Effort is more important than ability and Labour’s front bench need to work like dogs in the next 18 months.
    Is there any evidence that Ed Miliband has the full support of his shadow cabinet and that they are not merely going through the motions with a view to the leadership election following his defeat?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    Jonathan said:

If EdM is wise he will close down this Mail story. We have had three weeks of politicians on the telly. It's too much.

This story won't go away it will run to the election. Ed stopping it is like Napoleon telling the Tsar, "tell you what let's call it quits" after Moscow was looted. It was Ed's to start it's not his to stop, it won't stop until both sides say enough.
  • Options
    I'm confused. Is Tim Shipman the equivalent of Della Bovey or is Mehdi Hasan?
  • Options
    @TGOHF

Wrong. The government has implements a Child Benefit Tax Charge. Even the government admits it's a tax. I am now paying marginal rates of ~70%, and have been forced into the SA system thanks to this absolute dog of a policy by the arch tool that is Ozzy.

Aren't you an accountant??
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    edited October 2013
    felix said:

No, no not at all...

Lefty journos now saying writing for the Mail doesn't make you a bad person
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

felix said:

No, no not at all...

Lefty journos now saying writing for the Mail doesn't make you a bad person
    The hypocrisy just bounces right off them.
  • Options
    @PickardJE: Scoop by @kiranstacey on where Nigel Farage is planning to stand in 2015. Coming any minute now.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Agreed - bored of it now. Next.
  • Options
    tim said:

felix said:

Plato said:

Oh dear

The other day SeanT compared Dacre to Alex Ferguson.
    I think we can forget those parallels once a man starts releasing his private correspondence with a minor journalist in an attempt to deflect attention from his own misjudgement
    Yeah, he's a nobody.

'As a journalist and author, Hasan is the co-author of a biography of Ed Miliband and the political editor of UK version of The Huffington Post.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mehdi_Hasan
  • Options
    @PickardJE: Farage set to stand in South Thanet - seat of Europhile pro-green Laura Sandys. Scoop by @kiranstacey http://t.co/PsAamJ7Oxt
  • Options
    @felix

No wonder Mehdi was in a strop last night,anyone would be after all that sucking up & still being rejected.

Pure comedy gold:

'Tim Shipman (Mail) @ShippersUnbound

• Options
    tim said:

you should try it some time

Seek help.

Your obsession is not healthy
  • Options
    Good evening, Comrades!

"Are you hated by the Daily Mail?"

http://toys.usvsth3m.com/are-you-hated-by-the-daily-mail/
  • Options
    tim said:

Seek help.

Your obsession is not healthy
  • Options
    tim said:

felix said:

Plato said:

Oh dear

Ferguson got to choose his successor.

Dacre will not.

At Geordie Grieg's book launch he was accompanied by Lady Rothermere. They are on excellent terms. Nor is she the only one Greig has made it his business to be in the good graces of.

• Options
    Bobajob said:

@TGOHF

Wrong. The government has implements a Child Benefit Tax Charge. Even the government admits it's a tax. I am now paying marginal rates of ~70%, and have been forced into the SA system thanks to this absolute dog of a policy by the arch tool that is Ozzy.

More fool you for not forfeiting your handout last January.

• Options
    FernandoFernando Posts: 145
    I must say, Henry, you have to admire Miliband’s chutzpah. As Energy Secretary he introduces measures that account to around 10% of our electricity bills and then blames the energy companies for raising their prices. He humiliates his elder brother and then condemns the Mail for attacking his dead father. And to cap it all in the week when we are just remembering the Blair/Brown regime of MacBride and Campbell he asks the owners of Associated Newspapers to reflect on the probity of the way they operate.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Jonathan said:

If EdM is wise he will close down this Mail story. We have had three weeks of politicians on the telly.

The only one that will be closing it down is Rothermere.
    Politicians actually quite like being the focus and on the telly all the time.
    Certain newspaper proprietors despise every second of a relentless unflattering spotlight.

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067

Neil said:

Patrick said:
    Because of immigration.

Huzzah for immigration.
    size isn't everytihng Neil .
    exactly , just means more borrowing , we will never catch the Germans
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@PickardJE: Farage set to stand in South Thanet - seat of Europhile pro-green Laura Sandys. Scoop by @kiranstacey http://t.co/PsAamJ7Oxt

Should be interesting!
  • Options

antifrank said:

I see the pb mania for this story continues unabated. It's an odd form of collective lunacy.

It's this or a jock thread everyday

Get a jock one up Mike, I am bored witless by the drivel
  • Options
    It's fun watching tim toss one of his own over the side of the boat.

Almost as funny as watching Dacre play by Labour's rules.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

tim said:

felix said:

Plato said:

Oh dear

I think we can forget those parallels once a man starts releasing his private correspondence with a minor journalist in an attempt to deflect attention from his own misjudgement
    Yeah, he's a nobody.

'As a journalist and author, Hasan is the co-author of a biography of Ed Miliband and the political editor of UK version of The Huffington Post.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mehdi_Hasan
    'co-author' - does that mean he made the coffee and checked the spelling?
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    Mick_Pork said:

tim said:

felix said:

Plato said:

Oh dear

Dacre will not.

At Geordie Grieg's book launch he was accompanied by Lady Rothermere. They are on excellent terms. Nor is she the only one Greig has made it his business to be in the good graces of.

Greig* will succeed Dacre.

It is the new reality.

He is an Etonian.

*Greig, not Grieg, Pork. He is not a troll musician.

• Options
    antifrank said:

On third thoughts, let's go Scottish. A pb Tory favourite has written about how Alex Salmond's Scottish currency plans just don't add up, with especial reference to the Eurozone's problems:

http://www.scotsman.com/news/ed-balls-snp-independence-economics-don-t-add-up-1-3124850

"It was listening to Alex Salmond pretending that he could promise that Scotland would continue to use the UK pound after leaving the UK that moved me to enter the debate. In fact, the only way to guarantee the pound is to stay in the UK."

"A successful economic and monetary union requires a central bank ready to stand behind all countries and much greater economic and political integration – which is why the euro countries are now building both a banking union and much deeper and tougher fiscal rules and sanctions.

That’s why it is so strange that the SNP project, which seeks to dissolve the political and fiscal unions of the United Kingdom, should suggest establishing a eurozone-style monetary union.

Those very things that make a shared currency work, a truly integrated single market, common financial regulation and the ability to share out tax revenues around the country to even out economic imbalances, are what the Nationalists would have us dismantle. The promise that Scotland would continue to share a currency with the remainder of the UK simply isn’t one the Nationalists can make."

"How do we set-up a eurozone-style sterling-zone between these two separate countries? Can we convince taxpayers in the rest of the UK to carry the risks of being lender of last resort for Scottish banks? Is the euro experiment really worth repeating?

Alex Salmond cannot answer these questions, because they are not for him to determine. But here is one guarantee I can make. Whatever currency option Scotland ends up with after an independence vote, it will be less advantageous than what we have across the UK today."

Balls indeed, the man is a cretin, you would not entrust him with a 10p coin.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    tim said:

Mick_Pork said:

tim said:

felix said:

Plato said:

Oh dear

Dacre will not.

You suspect Dacre is losing it, once you start publishing job applications from minor journalists you might as well get the fishing rod and the bag of chicken ready
    Private Eye has also somewhat unhelpfully highlighted DMGT's long-term incentives programme and more specifically who is conspicuously not on it.

Have a guess?

You should also look into who else Greig is on friendly terms with because I fear the PB Dacre's would become hysterical (okay MORE hysterical) if they knew. I shall enjoy watching them dig themselves ever deeper in the meantime.

• Options
    tim said:

Neil said:

Patrick said:
    Because of immigration.

Huzzah for immigration.
    "In fact, the UK and France are the only two European countries with healthy demographics"

The PB Tories should get down on their knees and give thanks to the last Labour govt every morning.
    Like Ed gets on his knees for the unions?

• Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited October 2013
    Just seen this.. any lawyers about?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24405622

If the CPS do decide no charges are to be brought, could Mitchell demand all the papers from the CPS and if he thought there was a realistic chance of success, launch a private prosecution??
  • Options
    @TheWatcher

'It's fun watching tim toss one of his own over the side of the boat.'

From hero to zero in less than 24 hours!
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290

Scott_P said:

Should be interesting!
    Yet another of those political dynasties.
  • Options
    @DAaronovitch: Eventually all inter-media spats become high comedy. As the Mail one did this afternoon.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Farage stood in Thanet South in 2005... garnering 5% of the vote...
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    malcolmg said:

antifrank said:

Balls indeed, the man is a cretin, you would not entrust him with a 10p coin.
    Leaving aside the fact that he is almost as toxic as Osbrowne with the voters, the most interesting fact is that he now appears to have no qualms about treading all over Darling's toes. I wonder why?

*chortle*
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Scott_P said:

@DAaronovitch: Eventually all inter-media spats become high comedy. As the Mail one did this afternoon.

I didn't know what Mehdi had done on QT until this afternoon - no wonder the Mail took the gloves off. That's what happens when you take on the big boys.

You get slapped across the face with one.
  • Options
    tim said:

TGOHF said:

Bobajob said:

@TGOHF

Back in the day I seem to remember you spotting what a mess Osborne had made, before you got hooked on taxpayer subsidised mortgages and record benefit spending.

A timely piece

"There are those who will not hear any of this. Osborne established an important principle that signals the end of universality, apparently. What a great principle. More money is taken off the already heavily taxed young striver who lives in Milton Keynes with children and who dares cross the £50k mark, in order that it can be given to rich pensioners in Chelsea as a winter fuel payment which is a, er, universal benefit, protected by Prime Ministerial edict.
    It might have been fine to axe child benefit and give those who lost out a tax cut, if it was part of some grand reorganisation of the system to make taxes simpler and lower. Instead, this government has created gross distortions, taking some taxpayers out of tax entirely at the lower end to satisfy Lib Dem demands while piling in millions of Britons into the pernicious 40p band that started out as a tax on the super affluent few and now takes in teachers, those in lower middle management and small business people.
    Genius. Just, genius."

@TelePolitics: Blog: Osborne's child benefit declaration of war against the middle classes is working out brilliantly http://t.co/jTpYcfXuYu
    My beef was tim that I didn't want to SA - we gave up cb and we still don't SA.

Simples.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Bobajob said:

@TGOHF

That would have made me even worse off. Remind me to avoid you when I am next seeking an accountant...

• Options
    tim said:

@IainDale: I just don't understand why the Mail can't see that their attacks on @mehdirhasan are embarrassing and self-defeating. World is going mad.

Even the PB Tories will spot that won't they?

I thought you would approve, tim.

Surely it is a Mansonian case of the weak attacking the strong.

• Options
    New data reveals that the number of businesses in the UK is now higher than ever before. Increasing by 0.9 per cent between March 2012 and 2013, the total number of businesses has passed its 2008 high. - See more at: http://www.cityam.com/blog/1380804914/more-businesses-uk-ever#sthash.gk45S4sH.dpuf
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    I got "Hated". Phew.

Good evening, Comrades!

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Farage scotches rumours about his 2015 seat selection:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=578389838875290&id=133737666673845

"Nothing could be further from my mind right now then deciding which constituency I might stand for in 2015. There's some very important elections before those I'm working on."
  • Options

Good evening, Comrades!

Didn't fool me, Comrade Sunil.

Too easy to get hated.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Cameron Supports Ed Miliband In Father Row

The Prime Minister says that had his father been attacked in the press as Ed Miliband's has been he, too, would have hit back.

http://news.sky.com/story/1148729/cameron-supports-ed-miliband-in-father-row
    That's what happens when you take on the big boys.
    You get slapped across the face with one. ;^ )

LOL

When Cammie's chumocracy were talking about tory swivel-eyed loons, it's self-evident the type of witless inept fools they were talking about.
  • Options

I got "Hated". Phew.

Good evening, Comrades!

This may be a wild guess - but I suspect Hated is the answer 100% of the time...
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

TGOHF said:

Bobajob said:

@TGOHF

That would have made me even worse off. Remind me to avoid you when I am next seeking an accountant...

Pity as im not an accountant but would take your cash.

If you get a payrise to take you over 60k you can give up cb an sa.
  • Options
    Has anyone got any more recent polling on the child benefit cuts than this?

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/swc9cwenua/YG-Archive-Pol-Sunday-Times-results-070613.pdf

Starting this year child benefit has been reduced for households where someone earns over £50,000, and stopped entirely for households where someone earns over £60,000. Do you support or oppose these changes?

Support - it is right that child benefit should not go to better-off households 72%

Oppose - child benefit should be available to all households with children, regardless of income 21%

Don't know 7%

The support across the political parties is amazingly uniform in this poll. Fully 70% of Labour supporters support this change.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Plato said:

I got "Hated". Phew.

Good evening, Comrades!

This may be a wild guess - but I suspect Hated is the answer 100% of the time...
    Nah - I was only detested.

But if you are not Michael Gove you are at a minimum 'disliked'
  • Options
    R0bertsR0berts Posts: 391
    I agree with others that Ed should bank his victory against the Mail and move on, now.

In fairness though, I think he has done. It's others who are picking up the fight now.

Like Mehdi Hassan's superb destruction of the Mail last night. I see he's now on the receiving end of Britain's Finest for that. Publishing private correspondence to smear someone simply for criticising you. Dacre truly is rattled. Can't he see how badly it reflects on him and his rag?

Predictably enough, the PBTory Mail fanboys/girls are lapping up whatever Dacre spoon-feeds them.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    D'oh!
    Plato said:

I got "Hated". Phew.

Good evening, Comrades!

• Options
    That whole Mehdi letter in full

http://order-order.com/2013/10/04/dear-mr-dacre/

Oh dear - its worse than I thought
  • Options
    Plato said:

Observe (above) one Mehdi Hasan in full flow on last night’s Question Time. Then look at the tweets below from the Mail’s Tim Shipman. Try not to cackle; it’s rude. http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/steerpike/2013/10/mehdi-hasan-please-please-please-can-i-work-for-the-daily-mail/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=mehdi-hasan-please-please-please-can-i-work-for-the-daily-mail&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Oh, Plato, what a find!

Mehdi to Dacre: "Make them laugh, make them cry, or make them angry”. That’s something I believe I could do for you, and for your readers

*chortles"

ROFLWMTITA
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    R0berts said:

Publishing private correspondence to smear someone simply for criticising you.

I'm sure Cameron won't be worried about that kind of thing.
    Steve Haynes ‏@Centreradical 2 Oct

RT@RicHolden "YES WE CAM #cpc13" > And this just proves that CCHQ are out of marketing ideas. Jesus wept Ric, really? Yes We Cam? Its awful
    LOL

• Options
    AveryLP said:

Plato said:

Observe (above) one Mehdi Hasan in full flow on last night’s Question Time. Then look at the tweets below from the Mail’s Tim Shipman. Try not to cackle; it’s rude. http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/steerpike/2013/10/mehdi-hasan-please-please-please-can-i-work-for-the-daily-mail/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=mehdi-hasan-please-please-please-can-i-work-for-the-daily-mail&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Oh, Plato, what a find!

Mehdi to Dacre: "Make them laugh, make them cry, or make them angry”. That’s something I believe I could do for you, and for your readers

*chortles"

ROFLWMTITA
    I'm cringing just reading it - imagine having penned it...
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited October 2013
    "I am also attracted by the Mail’s social conservatism on issues like marriage, the family, abortion and teenage pregnancies. I’d like to write a piece for the Mailmaking the left-wing case against abortion, or a piece on why marriage should be a Labour value, and not just a Conservative one. My own unabashed social conservatism on such issues derives from my Islamic faith."

http://order-order.com/2013/10/04/dear-mr-dacre/
  • Options
    tim said:

AveryLP said:

tim said:

@IainDale: I just don't understand why the Mail can't see that their attacks on @mehdirhasan are embarrassing and self-defeating. World is going mad.

Football manager under pressure leaks letter from critical football pundit praising his style when he was looking for a club.

Under pressure football manager looks more under pressure than he did before he leaked letter
    This lad Mehdi looks useful.

Plays as good on the right as the left.

Genuine talent.
  • Options
    Avery

I was surprised at your weak knowledge of the trade balance.

The last quarterly trade surplus was 1998Q1 followed by the continuous deficit which is still in progress.

The other years not to have at least a single quarter of trade surplus from 1955 onwards were - 1955, 1960, 1964, 1965, 1967, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1988 and 1989.

Which gives an indication of how severe the fundamental problems we have now are.

As you say its another indictment of Gordon Brown's economic mishandling but I would add that its also an indictment of Cameron and Osborne's economic complacency that they didn't notice this problem and use it for political capital.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/datasets-and-tables/data-selector.html?cdid=KTMY&dataset=pnbp&table-id=A
  • Options
    tim said:

Floater said:

tim said:

Neil said:

Patrick said:
    Because of immigration.

Huzzah for immigration.
    "In fact, the UK and France are the only two European countries with healthy demographics"

The PB Tories should get down on their knees and give thanks to the last Labour govt every morning.
    Like Ed gets on his knees for the unions?

Utterly vacuous post from you as ever.
    Since you stopped copy and pasting Mail pieces about how many non white babies would be born by 2030 I can't remember anything you've typed
    Besides that you voted UKIP after getting excited about immigrants in the spring
    Lies and smears - the ultimate arch Blairite smearer eh tim?

(You do remember who called you that don't you??? - give you a clue it was about one of your other obsessions)

I am sure you can find a couple of my posts to back up this assertion of yours?

Would be a first as all the other times you misrepresented me you ran off like the sad muppet without a life that you are.

• Options
    What is going on? http://www.itv.com/news/story/2013-09-18/trial-of-mother-accused-of-starving-boy-at-bradford-crown-court/

Questions have been raised over the extent to which statutory agencies were involved with the mother of four-year-old Hamzah Khan who was starved to death. The outgoing director of children's services in the city, Kath Tunstall, sent an email to Bradford MPs this morning saying "no serious concerns were reported to the statutory agencies". She added:

[I] can advise you that there was limited involvement from statutory agencies in this case as mum did not want to take up offers of help and no serious concerns were reported to the statutory agencies.

This is not a case where lots of agencies were involved and didn't see the signs, the question is how can this happen and professionals, neighbours, communities not be aware of it and so there will be lessons to be learned.
  • Options
    MH channelling Groucho - " these are my principles and if you don't like em I have others..."
  • Options
    Curious.
    Nigel Farage ‏@Nigel_Farage 32m

Nothing could be further from my mind right now then deciding which constituency I might stand for in 2015.... http://fb.me/31z3irUC8
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    edited October 2013
    The Iain Martin piece on the child benefit is interesting.

I lost £700 in my pay to HMRC last month and it coincided with a letter from HMRC requiring me to fill-in a self-assessment form. I was a bit confused, as I've always been a simple employee and never ever been asked to fill one in. After waiting about 46 minutes to speak to someone at HMRC, they told me I'd owed them about £700 because my car-allowance had changed and taken me over a the £60k threshold and I would also now owe them money which my wife had been paid on child credits - basically, my circumstances had changed, I'd hit some limit and got clobbered. A long, boring tax story. Too technical for me to understand.

Now, being one of those lazy-minded, easy-going types who doesn't give a monkeys about money, I just told the girl I couldn't be bothered to fill-in the self-assessment form and to just take the child benefit of us so I don't have to worry about earning it and then paying it back again. So I lost it.

Anyway, I ain't rich, not by a long chalk. And I'm never gonna be. I'm happy living a simple life. But the point is, there must be a lot of people across the UK like me, working-class, one house and two kids, with never quite enough money to spend, having similar letters and losses to what I've had at the hands of HMRC. And for HMRC read Osborne.

I haven't worked it all out but I'm probably about £3500 a year worse off between the car tax (my company's fault) and loss of child benefit.

That's a lot of lost lager. And when a government purportedly on the side of strivers clobbers people like me, I'd guess it will translate into a loss of a lot of middle ground votes.

Not my vote, because I couldn't give a toss. But not everyone thinks like me.
  • Options
    Still digging even with a smiley face

Mehdi Hasan @mehdirhasan
    Plenty of journos now texting to say my full sycophantic letter so good as a pitch that I should have got that column. Damn you Dacre :-)
  • Options
    Roger said:

Good article Henry.

"The Prime Minister was “strong at standing up to the weak, but weak at standing up to the strong.”

I missed that slogan. It's excellent and well worth a few 48 sheets. thank goodness Labour are spending some money on talent again.

In the words of Red Adaire "If you think its expensive to hire professionals to do the job wait until you hire an amateur"

The admission that you missed it is telling.
    'Ad-man misses weak slogan shocker'
  • Options
    tim said:

@Avery

I'm thinking of punting a piece to the Mail about the long term impact on a son of being the offspring of someone who avoids military service in the defining event of the twentieth century

"Dacres Dad's A Draft Dodger"

What do you reckon?

If that doesn't work there's always the one about cowardly gypsies.

Should be OK, tim.

Just byline it with "Sub. Lt. Adolphe Raloh Tim Miliband, VC DSO (Bar) CGM RD (Retd., Decd.)"

• Options
    tim said:

AveryLP said:

tim said:

AveryLP said:

tim said:

Football manager under pressure leaks letter from critical football pundit praising his style when he was looking for a club.

Under pressure football manager looks more under pressure than he did before he leaked letter
    This lad Mehdi looks useful.

Plays as good on the right as the left.

Genuine talent.
    Turns on a sixpence
    Very good.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Jimmy Mulville ‏@hattrickster 1h

If you only watch one show tonight make sure it's #HIGNFY on BBC1 at 9.00pm. Ian Hislop is at his best roasting Rothermere. Unmissable.
    A preview for the hysterical shrieking PB Dacres to enjoy. ;^ )
    Hislop says of Ralph: “This is the man that hated Britain on the evidence of one entry in a diary when he was sixteen when he’d just arrived as a refugee in this country. It was the most pathetic piece.

“What I think will be embarrassing for the Mail’s Editor is the Mail is owned by the Rothermere family. What did your Dad do? The current Lord Rothermere’s father loved Great Britain so much he went to live in France as a tax exile.

"He then passed on the nom-dom status to his son who doesn’t actually pay the normal amount of tax despite owning a newspaper that’s owned through various tax companies in Bermuda.

“So once you start doing 'I’m looking at your family' it gets embarrassing and I think… the Rothermere family, if you want to go further back, we get to the great grandfather who ‘let’s join in together’ ran the headline ‘hoorah for the blackshirts'.
    Oh dear. Rothermere will be loving this.

• Options
    @TheWatcher

Pure comedy gold.

Tim-7.44 am

'There's a direct hit on the direct hit here

This is impressive - 'Mehdi Hasan OWNING Quentin Letts on Question Time 03/10/2013

Tim-5.36 pm

'I think we can forget those parallels once a man starts releasing his private correspondence with a minor journalist'

• Options
    AveryLP said:

tim said:

@Avery

I'm thinking of punting a piece to the Mail about the long term impact on a son of being the offspring of someone who avoids military service in the defining event of the twentieth century

"Dacres Dad's A Draft Dodger"

What do you reckon?

If that doesn't work there's always the one about cowardly gypsies.

Should be OK, tim.

Just byline it with "Sub. Lt. Adolphe Raloh Tim Miliband, VC DSO (Bar) CGM RD (Retd., Decd.)"

Sunil Prasannan, BSc (Hons), ARCS, PhD, DIC.

• Options

Avery

I was surprised at your weak knowledge of the trade balance.

The last quarterly trade surplus was 1998Q1 followed by the continuous deficit which is still in progress.

The other years not to have at least a single quarter of trade surplus from 1955 onwards were - 1955, 1960, 1964, 1965, 1967, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1988 and 1989.

Which gives an indication of how severe the fundamental problems we have now are.

As you say its another indictment of Gordon Brown's economic mishandling but I would add that its also an indictment of Cameron and Osborne's economic complacency that they didn't notice this problem and use it for political capital.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/datasets-and-tables/data-selector.html?cdid=KTMY&dataset=pnbp&table-id=A

Evening ar.

My guess wan't that far off.

The figures are only useful though after extracting the impact of oil and gas. Have been meaning to do this for some time but ...

Anyway much more important matters to address today. The hypocrisy of the left as exemplified by Mehdi Hassan.
  • Options
    Plato said:

I got "Hated". Phew.

Good evening, Comrades!

You know I love you! :)

http://shouldireadthedailymail.com/

*titters*
This discussion has been closed.