Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Opinium found more CON voters than LAB ones believing that

124»

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,777

So the conference season is over and what have we learnt ?

Ed thinks it's not fair that some people think his dad was a bit weird.

That's it.

No! No! No!

We yet have to be delighted and entertained by the SNP....and witness the magnificent spectacle of King Leader for Life wee Eck magisterially rising above Cameron's refusal to take part in a TV debate by not mentioning it at all. Not once. Never.

• Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

Norm said:

Cammo is right to highlight Labour's corporation tax clanger. I am expecting that little measure to be quietly dropped before 2015.

How many votes do you think there are in cutting corporation tax for large companies? I'd say approximately 0.

its a shame really as big compnaies tend to be more diversely owned (certainly listed companies are) and belong to an awful lot of people in terms of pension and insurance funds. .
    But that link is too diffuse for it to have much electoral relevance. The perception is that increased profits in big companies go into the pockets of greedy directors who pay themselves absurd and unjustifiable bonuses and salaries whilst those further down have to make do with below-inflation pay rises and zero hours contracts. You might disagree with EdM's solution to this but at least he realises the problem exists. The Tories seem to be completely oblivious.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    Jonathan said:

That's it.

I think there is more to it than that. One of the biggest criticisms of political parties is that they are "all the same". Labour definitely broke from the pack last week. Risky, but a definite change.
    That's a fair point Jonathan which has got lost in the Hurricane Ralph nonsense. It remains to be seen if Miliband holds the course, but if he's trooping off down the core vote road he'd better be sure of his numbers.
  • Options

Sorry don't understand your point

That companies owned by pension funds, etc. are owned by the public.

I have had to explain to people from other countries that 'publicly owned' companies are owned by the state, and private companies are owned by the public. Quite confusing at times.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    edited October 2013

That's it.

We learned, again, that just when you think Ed might be starting to drown in a puddle of his own slight weirdness that he's capable of doing something to grab the initiative.
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited October 2013
    Ron Laverick ‏@2cvdolly1 8m

I don't know! Some Tory grandees say "We want our @UKIP cousins back!" then Heseltine Grandee call them all racist! Are they just addled?
    It's all a cunning plan. Just wait till Cammie reveals more about his Cast Iron IN/OUT referendum just in time for the EU elections. Then all will be made clear. Probably.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Jonathan said:

That's it.

I think there is more to it than that. One of the biggest criticisms of political parties is that they are "all the same". Labour definitely broke from the pack. Risky, but a definite change.
    That's a pithy but fair summary. But when the dust settles, as it will in the weeks ahead, I'd prefer to pitching my tent firmly in the broad centre ground (albeit tilted modestly to the right) than the "risky" strategy of shifting noticeably to the left. Continuing economic recovery should make that choice even riskier. We shall see.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,014
    edited October 2013

I have had to explain to people from other countries that 'publicly owned' companies are owned by the state, and private companies are owned by the public. Quite confusing at times.
    Bit like schools, really! Or used to be, anyway!
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650

SMukesh said:

tim said:

SMukesh said:

Isn`t the Tory conference due to start soon?

Overshadowed by Miliband, who'd have guessed it 10 days ago?

CCHQ Press Office ‏@RicHolden 6m
    YES WE CAM #cpc13

Priceless

Cam looks like he`s depressed with bags under his eyes.

Looks like CCHQ don`t have a clue how to repsond to Miliband`s ideas!
    Brilliant ! PB Lefties you've gotta love them.

Yes SMukesh I'm sure he's just trembling at the thought of Ed saying that's not fair to everything.
    He certainly has bags under his eyes.Perhaps not so chilled these days,our Cam.

That was a seriously underwhelming zombified performance.
  • Options
    Neil said:

That's it.

We learned, again, that just when you think Ed might be starting to drown in a puddle of his own slight weirdness that he's capable of doing something to grab the initiative.
    I must have missed it among the maudlin father worship.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited October 2013
    Jonathan said:

That's it.

I think there is more to it than that. One of the biggest criticisms of political parties is that they are "all the same". Labour definitely broke from the pack last week. Risky, but a definite change.
    Jonathan

Reminds me of those spot the difference communist jokes from the 1970s. This Polish joke still seems relevant.

Q. "What is the difference between England and Poland?"

A. "There are no communists in Poland".

• Options
    SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

tim said:

SMukesh said:

YES WE CAM #cpc13

Priceless

Yes SMukesh I'm sure he's just trembling at the thought of Ed saying that's not fair to everything.

It was certainly dull, but then who remembers any of the conference speeches ? This time next week it will be Schnee von gestern.
  • Options

Norm said:

Cammo is right to highlight Labour's corporation tax clanger. I am expecting that little measure to be quietly dropped before 2015.

How many votes do you think there are in cutting corporation tax for large companies? I'd say approximately 0.

its a shame really as big compnaies tend to be more diversely owned (certainly listed companies are) and belong to an awful lot of people in terms of pension and insurance funds. .
    But that link is too diffuse for it to have much electoral relevance. The perception is that increased profits in big companies go into the pockets of greedy directors who pay themselves absurd and unjustifiable bonuses and salaries whilst those further down have to make do with below-inflation pay rises and zero hours contracts. You might disagree with EdM's solution to this but at least he realises the problem exists. The Tories seem to be completely oblivious.
    I too think directors pay themselves too much and get bonuses too easily. I also think the public sector heirachy pay themsleves too much and get bonuses and pay offs too easiliy.(bbc?) I am wary of mamangement in either the public or private sector but point out that big listed private companies and public sector bodies are not that different in terms of ultimate ownership or stewardship. Labour seems to hate big companies more than little ones . I find this strange as your average Joe is likely to own part of a listed big company and be an employee of a small one (whose ownership tends to be a individual wealthy 'capitalist')
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,048
    Jonathan said:

That's it.

Labour have moved slightly to the left. It is a mixed picture (for instance saying they'll break the link with the unions, if that happens), but the policies are decidedly moving to the left.

The problem is that when Labour were most recently to the left of the centre ground, before Blair, they were unelectable. Ed believes in a more leftish agenda for the future of the country. The question is whether the country agrees with him.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,989
    Mr. Mander, on that note, public schools are private schools.

That always seemed odd to me.

Bah, I see King Cole got there first. Surely this is still the case? Or am I old-fashioned?

Anyway, I think the patricians have the right plan for the future. The plebs are just appealing to the mob.
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

The bits I saw were perfectly fine. No particular substance but good points and well delivered.
  • Options

Neil said:

That's it.

I know - that loving his father yuckiness made me forget the headline-dominating conference speech of his too.
  • Options
    It is a fair indication of how far to the right the UK political discourse has moved over the years that EdM's proposals to apply short-term price controls to the energy sector, just as they are currently applied to the water industry, to train companies etc, and to slightly extend the existing compulsory purchase order regime are considered by some as being a move to the extreme left.

Although I did not see Cameron's speech, I am assuming from the lack of gushing praise or strident criticism on here that it was not one of his best.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited October 2013
    Frist it was the Energy Companies.

This week its the Mail.

Who's ed going to pick a fight with next to keep his poll ratings up?
  • Options
    I think its a shame Labour has won conference season because they have won it by negative populism to me . If you are going for populism at least be positive.

But won it they have , the evidence is in which side or party is consoling themselves that this time next month nobody will remember the conferences/ It seems to be the tories!! The tories are right of course though as I have already forgotton the Lib Dem one!!
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

tim said:

SMukesh said:

YES WE CAM #cpc13

Priceless

It was certainly dull, but then who remembers any of the conference speeches ? This time next week it will be Schnee von gestern.
    And didn`t pull out any rabbits as widely expected.Not sure the speech is going to excite the activists for a week,let alone a year.
  • Options
    popularism even!!
  • Options
    tim said:

JohnO said:

Jonathan said:

That's it.

I think there is more to it than that. One of the biggest criticisms of political parties is that they are "all the same". Labour definitely broke from the pack. Risky, but a definite change.
    That's a pithy but fair summary. But when the dust settles, as it will in the weeks ahead, I'd prefer to pitching my tent firmly in the broad centre ground (albeit tilted modestly to the right) than the "risky" strategy of shifting noticeably to the left. Continuing economic recovery should make that choice even riskier. We shall see.
    How helpful will Heseltine branding UKIP switchers racist (as Cameron has also done) be for you?
    To be strictly accurate he called UKIP the party racist not those who had switched (nor Farage himself).

Old Tarzan has lost none of his magic as a compelling interviewee and still appeals to floating voters/non Tories, but as he has effectively been out of frontline politics since 1997, I doubt whether it will have much impact one way or the other.

His analysis that, faced by a discernibly left wing Labour/Ed as PM, most Tory inclined UKIP switchers will return to the fold (with noses covered) on election day is far more sound than lurching the party to the right to regain their support.
  • Options

slightly extend the existing compulsory purchase order regime are considered by some as being a move to the extreme left

I dont think anyone really believes the IMF is on the extreme left and yet they were also proposing "fiscal disincentives for holding land without development".

http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/scr/2013/cr13210.pdf
  • Options
    Neil said:

Neil said:

That's it.

I know - that loving his father yuckiness made me forget the headline-dominating conference speech of his too.
    What's a headline ? It lasts for a day. can any of us really remember the speeches from last year ? The big world outside PB see very little of it and worry even less. In a month's time when PB is muttering about something else the reference to speeches will be next to non-existent.
  • Options
    Letta's government is safe...at least for a couple of weeks...

the confidence vote is taking place right now..but after the revolt of around 25 PdL Senators, Silvio decided not to vote against the confidence.

• Options
    So, to important matters:

Kerching! on Boris at 2/1. Hooray.

Raspberry on Hardworking families at 6/4. Boo.
  • Options
    tim said:

JohnO said:

tim said:

JohnO said:

Jonathan said:

That's it.

How helpful will Heseltine branding UKIP switchers racist (as Cameron has also done) be for you?
    To be strictly accurate he called UKIP the party racist not those who had switched (nor Farage himself).

Old Tarzan has lost none of his magic as a compelling interviewee and still appeals to floating voters/non Tories, but as he has effectively been out of frontline politics since 1997, I doubt whether it will have much impact one way or the other.

His analysis that, faced by a discernibly left wing Labour/Ed as PM, most Tory inclined UKIP switchers will return to the fold (with noses covered) on election day is far more sound than lurching the party to the right to regain their support.
    I agree with your last paragraph, Crosby stoking up immigration just helps UKIP.
    The problem is that Hezza is more or less repeating what Cameron said about the Kippers, which was daft, most of them want foreigners kept out regardless of colour.
    I'm in no doubt that Lynton Crosby is a huge plus for the Tories. It's already showing.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,024
    edited October 2013
    Very interesting: does political belief make you worse at mathematics? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfoKor05k1I#t=339
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

tim said:

SMukesh said:

YES WE CAM #cpc13

Priceless

And didn`t pull out any rabbits as widely expected.Not sure the speech is going to excite the activists for a week,let alone a year.
    He doesn't actually need to pull rabbits from hats. If the economy progresses and wages start to rise he can save his rabbits for the next budget. Cleggy too.
  • Options
    ''I'm in no doubt that Lynton Crosby is a huge plus for the Tories. It's already showing.''

Tim & Co are Crosby obsessed LOL.
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited October 2013
    tim said:

"To facilitate an adequate supply response, the government could also consider fiscal disincentives for holding land without development. "

Where's the bit where they said 'use it or lose it'?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

tim said:

SMukesh said:

YES WE CAM #cpc13

Priceless

All the more surprising since some of the hints about that rabbit were that it would involve the badly needed revamp of the party structure and campaigning. The number of activists leaving the tory party can no more be ignored by the tories than it can for the lib dems. Yet going by that speech complacency would seem to have set in.

Either that or there was something being worked out that fell through at the last minute. Possibly involving the excerable Shapps who might have just gained a temporary reprieve. Maybe it's all been kicked to a reshuffle down the line?

Whatever the reason that was a speech that sounded like it had been cut short and something was missing.

• Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    A very good realistic speech by Cameron and the tories now need now is more help with the cost of living,for all what was good about camerons speech,miliband stole the conference season with the energy freeze and house building(even if it's pie in the sky)
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited October 2013
    JohnO said:

tim said:

JohnO said:

Jonathan said:

That's it.

That's not analysis.

The Cameron-Conservatives have no idea how to win back the Con>UKIP switchers, so they tell themselves everything will OK.

• Options
    tim said:

Gaby Hinsliff ‏@gabyhinsliff
    One last thing re that PM speech: it wasn't normal Cam. Tired, subdued, under rehearsed. wonder if sthing else preoccupying him.

Sounded as if he had a fearfully bad cold. Lots of coughing during the periods of applause.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

How do you explain public schools then?
  • Options
    edited October 2013

tim said:

"To facilitate an adequate supply response, the government could also consider fiscal disincentives for holding land without development. "

Where's the bit where they said 'use it or lose it'?
    They clearly meant that the fiscal disincentive should be of the order of 101% of the value of the land, Richard!

Marxist scum.
  • Options

It is a fair indication of how far to the right the UK political discourse has moved over the years that EdM's proposals to apply short-term price controls to the energy sector, just as they are currently applied to the water industry, to train companies etc, and to slightly extend the existing compulsory purchase order regime are considered by some as being a move to the extreme left.

Although I did not see Cameron's speech, I am assuming from the lack of gushing praise or strident criticism on here that it was not one of his best.

Cameron's speech was simply that of a confident leader in control of a competent goverment.

No bling. No new announcements. No trawling of historically discredited political dogma to create a headline. No fathers. No brothers. No tears or cries of injustice.

• Options
    RobCRobC Posts: 398

Yes trhe irony of Heseltine suggesting people will return to the Tories for fear of the rEd is that rEd is no further left than Hezza was in the 80's with his intervene before breakfast lunch and dinner guff.
  • Options
    Charles said:

How do you explain public schools then?
    or indeed how you can be 'all out' as a team in cricket but only 10 of the 11 batsmen are out and the other is not out .
  • Options

JohnO said:

tim said:

JohnO said:

Jonathan said:

That's it.

That's not analysis.

The Cameron-Conservatives have no idea how to win back the Con>UKIP switchers, so they tell themselves everything will OK.

they will never win back the hard core of kippers but the floaters are all to play for.
  • Options

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

tim said:

SMukesh said:

YES WE CAM #cpc13

Priceless

Be kind to SMukesh, Mr. Brooke.

He gives out the impression that he is a soft-centred and loveable leftie.

The kind who would tend to the graves of old Marxists in Highgate Cemetery.

• Options

It's been Hardworking People all week.......
  • Options
    tim said:

One last thing re that PM speech: it wasn't normal Cam. Tired, subdued, under rehearsed. wonder if sthing else preoccupying him.

Oh what a surprise,some one who use to be a political editor for the observer and now works for the guardian didn't like a tory pm speech
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    '''some one who use to be a political editor for the observer and now works for the guardian didn't like a tory pm speech'''

A well paid senior editorial position on Newsnight is surely around the corner, And from there a highly lucrative private sector hedge fund marketing role.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

tim said:

JohnO said:

Jonathan said:

That's it.

Thank god for that. I was almost convinced he'd said something noteworthy or offensive going by the white hot fury of the kippers online, but that seems harmless enough. :)

• Options
    AveryLP said:

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

tim said:

SMukesh said:

YES WE CAM #cpc13

Priceless

Be kind to SMukesh, Mr. Brooke.

He gives out the impression that he is a soft-centred and loveable leftie.

The kind who would tend to the graves of old Marxists in Highgate Cemetery.

Mr Pole I always enjoy SMukesh observations his panglossian views always contrast so well with those on the Mersey.
  • Options
    So, the party conference season is over. I think Milliband will be the most pleased, once the shouting is over. He's been in the news a lot, is in a high profile spat with the Mail (never a bad thing) and has done a lot to dispel the view of him as weak. He's promised to free the oppressed workers from the clutches of the evil capitalist energy companies, grab some land for the aforementioned workers and he's overshadowed the Tory conference.

Cameron's speech wasn't the best, nor the worst he's ever given, but I reckon Labour will be having a confident bounce in their step over the next few weeks.
    The Tories will have to up their game, and somehow get the Mail to shut up. It's making Ed Milliband look principled and human!
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

A few people trying to push a talking point doesn't tell us anything about where the UK political discourse has or hasn't moved.
  • Options

tim said:

Oh what a surprise,some one who use to be a political editor for the observer and now works for the guardian didn't like a tory pm speech
    Yes, almost as surprising as Quentin Letts who works for the Daily Mail telling us on the Daily Politics that Cameron's speech was great whereas Miliband's speech was "wild and mad".
  • Options
    The Tory proposal on under 25s not accessing benefits is going to need to be rethought. Whilst the philosophy underpinning it is reasonable enough (it will focus the minds of young people and their parents and is an important step towards people realising there is a limit to what the Government of even a prosperous nation can and should provide) - it will result in significant unfairness. Imagine you had a man who left school at 16, worked for eight solid years, married his similarly dependable childhood sweetheart at 22, had twins at 23, she left her job to look after them, he is made redundant at 24. Should he not be entitled to benefits? Should he be treated like a feckless school leaver with no life plan and no ambition? By contrast a middle class no hoper could have a gap year, spend four years failing a pointless university course, live at home for a couple of years sponging off mum and dad and then qualify for benefits.

With any Government policy it is easy to identify specific cases that make a generally fair policy seem unfair, so I am wary of raising this, but it seems to me there needs to be some recognition of contributions in assessing entitlements among under 25s, rather than a blanket prohibition on them receiving benefits.

On the other issue of the day, I feel that Miliband brought his father's philosophy into play so the Mail were within rights to run a piece on it, but they did go too far in the words they used and the headline was not justified by the facts. I really don't think we should hold anything a politician - let alone their parents - said at the age of 17 against them; I'd hate to be judged by those standards. I thought Miliband's exercise of his right of reply was reasonable and he made good points - but that should have been the end of it. I don't think either party is coming out of this well now; the Mail looks irrational and vindictive, Miliband increasingly thin-skinned. No doubt he's attracting some sympathy, but his already scarce leadership credentials are dissolving in front of our eyes. Can you imagine Obama, Merkel or Putin reacting as he has done? I imagine Putin's special advisers have been telling him - if you ever meet him at the G20, I bet you can make him cry...
  • Options
    R4 picking up on the policy bit "everyone under 25 either earning or learning" - Robinson says this might extend to withdrawing all benefits from under 25s if they don't participate....
  • Options

It's been Hardworking People all week.......
    You can't even trust this Prime Minister to win a sure fire political bet. Useless !
  • Options
    Neil said:

slightly extend the existing compulsory purchase order regime are considered by some as being a move to the extreme left

I dont think anyone really believes the IMF is on the extreme left and yet they were also proposing "fiscal disincentives for holding land without development".

The poor old kulaks, Neil.

If only they had known that Stalin's land confiscation, gulag deportations and silent bullets were merely a "fiscal disincentive" endorsed by the IMF.

• Options
    edited October 2013

The Tory proposal on under 25s not accessing benefits is going to need to be rethought.

It's pie in the sky nonsense. It won't happen but it served as speculative 'filler' for an already thin speech.

• Options

R4 picking up on the policy bit "everyone under 25 either earning or learning" - Robinson says this might extend to withdrawing all benefits from under 25s if they don't participate....

Everyone under 25 either earning or learning. Dunno how he's going to achieve that, unless he's bringing back Military conscription.
  • Options
    @Flockers - You really should post more often.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

tim said:

Yes, almost as surprising as Quentin Letts who works for the Daily Mail telling us on the Daily Politics that Cameron's speech was great whereas Miliband's speech was "wild and mad".
    No exactly as surprising - just as praise for Cam from mick pork will come as soon as pigs start flying.
  • Options

Neil said:

Neil said:

That's it.

What's a headline ? It lasts for a day. can any of us really remember the speeches from last year ? The big world outside PB see very little of it and worry even less. In a month's time when PB is muttering about something else the reference to speeches will be next to non-existent.
    Agreed. In a year's time normal people will likely remember either

1. Miliband sticking up for his Dad
    2. Miliband's Dad was a bit left-wing
    plus something on energy prices

Genuinely not sure which one - and how impactful it will be on voting
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,989
    Incidentally, I expected my bingo bets to be red (I backed Hard Working Families, Red Ed and You Can't Trust Labour), but apparently Red Ed (4) got a mention, so I finished slightly green.

Didn't see the speech. Doesn't sound like I missed much.
  • Options

tim said:

Where did I post Quentin letts tweet ?

Well it's not me posting tweets on pb just to attack Cameron because he hates the tory party.

• Options
    tim said:

David Cameron ‏@David_Cameron
    The land of hope is Tory. pic.twitter.com/9EGCRAwHOd

Looks like they are determined to try and salvage the brand.
    The Austrian wine industry and anti-freeze springs to mind.

looking at the price of Austrian wine in Waitrose they haven't done too bad a job.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Compelling people to learn or earn...

• Options
    AveryLP said:

Neil said:

The poor old kulaks, Neil.

If only they had known that Stalin's land confiscation, gulag deportations and silent bullets were merely a "fiscal disincentive" endorsed by the IMF.

That's why they needed re-education, Avery.

Next time we lefties wont be so nice.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Compelling people to learn or earn...

It's a bit bollocks if you ask me. You're compelling people to learn by forcing them to borrow £9k for fees and then some more to live . Indentured labour comes to mind.
  • Options
    Perhaps Putin might remind Red Ed about his aunt's role in defending the glorious motherland.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/david-miliband-discovers-hidden-family-1478700

• Options
    tim said:

@Flockers.

Cameron floats that bollocks every year or so, for the reasons you've set out it won't happen, but it excites the knuckleheads.

Your insults are getting worse.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    @alanbrooke debt peonage sprung to mind. Just wait for kids to come back from a gap year...

If the economy doesn't grow then what. Looks like school leaving age is now raised to 25. Party conference speeches don't often offer sensible policy moves.
  • Options
    felix said:

tim said:

No exactly as surprising - just as praise for Cam from mick pork will come as soon as pigs start flying.
    Pork's output going over our heads?

I live in fear.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    felix said:

tim said:

I've praised him more than once for the way he became tory leader. It was a devastatingly effective assault on poor old David Davis executed at lightning speed across the media.
    He also had all his ducks in a row for the various tory factions (even the eurosceptics) and knew precisely what the tory party wanted at that time. It wanted their version of Blair and he gave them just what they wanted.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    AveryLP said:

felix said:

tim said:

Pork's output going over our heads?

I live in fear.

The high satire of your comedy spinning is of course unmatched, Seth O Logue.
    Some might foolishly think it clunkingly obvious and simplistic variations on the laughably inept spin that little Ed is somehow a Stalin of our time, but you of course are sending up the idiots on here doing that, aren't you? ;)
  • Options

tim said:

@Flockers.

Cameron floats that bollocks every year or so, for the reasons you've set out it won't happen, but it excites the knuckleheads.

But no less accurate.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

So, the party conference season is over. I think Milliband will be the most pleased, once the shouting is over. He's been in the news a lot, is in a high profile spat with the Mail (never a bad thing) and has done a lot to dispel the view of him as weak. He's promised to free the oppressed workers from the clutches of the evil capitalist energy companies, grab some land for the aforementioned workers and he's overshadowed the Tory conference.

Not only that, his party seems to have swallowed the fact that he's going to carry on with nearly all the tax and spending policies he spent the first half of the parliament getting them riled up about, not to mention a load of free-market stuff like unbundling the energy sector that was too right-wing for Thatcher.
  • Options

tim said:

@Flockers.

But no less accurate.
    Yes, Mike, of couse, Mike and do give my love to Ms Byrne from Edinburgh.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

JohnO said:

tim said:

JohnO said:

Jonathan said:

That's it.

That's not analysis.

they will never win back the hard core of kippers but the floaters are all to play for.
    Yes, but they don't have any ideas for attracting the soft-UKIP voters either. They just telling themselves it will all work out. That's not a plan.

• Options

Cameron's speech wasn't the best, nor the worst he's ever given, but I reckon Labour will be having a confident bounce in their step over the next few weeks.
    The Tories will have to up their game, and somehow get the Mail to shut up. It's making Ed Milliband look principled and human!

A very good post mr TFS - mike please get the like button back ;-)

• Options

JohnO said:

tim said:

JohnO said:

Jonathan said:

That's it.

That's not analysis.

Yes, but they don't have any ideas for attracting the soft-UKIP voters either. They just telling themselves it will all work out. That's not a plan.

Or a judgement call.

If your choice is to tack to the right and lose the centre or stay in the centre and hope the prospect of "Marxist Ed" is so horrifying to the right that they will vote for Cameron, I'm not sure they have chosen the wrong strategy.

Although Heseltine being rude is a little silly (however all the kippers probably think he is a communist backstabber anyway so perhaps it doesn't matter)

• Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited October 2013
    Senate Confidence motion on Letta's government in Italy

Yes 235
    No 70
  • Options
    Charles said:

Although Heseltine being rude is a little silly (however all the kippers probably think he is a communist backstabber anyway so perhaps it doesn't matter)

No sillier than Cameron who added "loonies" and "fruitcakes" for good measure.

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Quentin Letts isn't on Twitter...

tim said:

Well it's not me posting tweets on pb just to attack Cameron because he hates the tory party.

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I must stand up for Austrian wine. Long may it be associated in the British public's mind with antifreeze so that those of us who know about it can continue to enjoy it at slightly lower prices.
  • Options
    Earn or Learn...
    960,000 young people aged 16-24 were unemployed in May to July 2013 (from Parliament website)
    Now assuming the overwhelming majority want to work, and all of the available jobs are taken.
    That is an awful lot of Courses to pay for, who is going to pay for that??? or have I missed something
    Also you will need a lot of college places, and teachers so no likely to happen soon?
  • Options
    Plato said:

Quentin Letts isn't on Twitter...

tim said:

Well can I replace tweets with Quotes ;-)
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,351
    Email from an elderly constituent of unknown political leanings, a propos of the Mail (he's posted it there too):

When I was a young apprentice, the man who taught me the trade was a firebrand
    character who railed daily against government, aristocracy, the establishment and
    everything else that he thoughtfully was wrong with Britain. There was nothing
    he didn't moan about. On my returning to Britain after living two years in
    Canada, his first words to me were, 'What have you come back to this sh-- hole
    for?' This is the same man who whenever I went to the cinema with stood proudly
    to attention when the National Anthem was played. He was an ex-para taken
    prisoner at Arnhem by the Germans and deep down loved this country. It's what he
    fought for, 'Freedom of Speech'.
This discussion has been closed.