Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Opinium found more CON voters than LAB ones believing that

Comments

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Tim Ross @TimRossDT
    The video build up gets a big laugh in the conference hall for footage of Ed Balls nodding at good economic headlines. #
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    TGOHF said:

Plato said:

Why football pundits shouldn't talk about politics

Gary Lineker @GaryLineker
    Only a matter of time before Dacre resigns. It's what he would demand of another in this situation. Unless of course he's a hypocrite.

Why would Darce resign - he's doing his job - well it seems.
    It probably is just a matter of time before Dacre resigns. That doesn't mean it's a matter of days or weeks (or not ones that can't be numbered in hundreds).
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Mick_Pork said:

Rob Flello quits as Junior Shadow Minister (Justice). LabourList wonders if the reshuffle is starting

Interesting if it is. Could be quite a good time for it piling yet more news into a schedule already squeezing the tory conference into second place at the moment. It won't have escaped little Ed that today is Cammie's big speech either.

Behaving just like his old pal and master, Gordon Brown?

It would be funny watching him get it back in spades during the next Labour conference, the one just before the GE.
  • Options
    Plato said:

This was just wonderful.

Isabel Oakeshott @IsabelOakeshott
    Extraordinary 12 year old addresses #cpc13 paying tribute to Gove's free schools policy. Word perfect!

She's Zantain Campbell

A future William Hague? Wonder if she will be wearing baseball caps in 25 years.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    dr_spyn said:

He has raised the brand's awareness.

Indeed. Just as the horsemeat scandal raised Tesco's brand awareness.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    Why isn't Dave wandering around the stage talking without notes about the political influence of his father?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Some possible excerpts from Dave's speech

"Print is the sharpest and the strongest weapon of our party."

"The people who cast the votes don't decide an election, the people who count the votes do."

"Gratitude is a sickness suffered by dogs."

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas."

"One death is a tragedy; one million is a statistic."
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    tim said:

Fat lad makes joke about belly.

He's got a lot more class than you, doesnt he?
  • Options
    tim said:

Doesn't work after using his family to lie though.

You're not the target audience.
  • Options

sic transit gloria mundi.

If Adolf had popped his clogs at the end of 1938 he'd be in the pantheon of great Germans and still have streets and squares named after him.

Even after burning of the Reichstag, Night of the Long Knives, book burning, Dachau, Nuremberg race laws, Guernica & Krisstallnacht? I doubt even Goebbels PR skills & German amnesia would stretch that far.
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    dr_spyn said:

TGOHF said:

Plato said:

Why football pundits shouldn't talk about politics

Gary Lineker @GaryLineker
    Only a matter of time before Dacre resigns. It's what he would demand of another in this situation. Unless of course he's a hypocrite.

Why would Darce resign - he's doing his job - well it seems.
    He has raised the brand's awareness.
    Like Godfrey Bloom did for UKIP. I remember that being hailed as a triumph by some of the more amusing PB tories too. ;^ )

• Options
    RobCRobC Posts: 398
    As I said yesterday EdM and Hezza aren't poles apart politically. That will be highlighted by UKIP in their attempts to switch more Tory members to their cause. Incidentally someone mentioned the lack of atmosphere at the Tory conference. I noticed that particularly during Chis Grayling's speech as justice minister. Right wing populist stuff that would have a Thatcher era conference cheering to the rafters was greeted with polite applause. The stuffing has gone out of the Tories
  • Options
    LOL

The biggest vodka selling brand is Smirnoff - made in Fife - and we beat the Russians at the Olympics.

Bugger off Putin just don't arm wrestle with me
  • Options
    Neil said:

tim said:

Doesn't work after using his family to lie though.

You're not the target audience.
    Poor tim.

He's not even the target.

• Options
    "Ed, you keep your shirt on, I'll keep the lights on"

The Sun must already have Ed in a bulb front page mocked up for May 2015 right ?
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    edited October 2013
    Cameron is, and by some measure, the best public speaker of all our current leading politicians.

PS I don't regard George Galloway in that category.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Cameron is, and by some measure, the best public speaker of all our current leading politicians.

Can you imagine Ed making self depreciating jokes ? Not enough class nor wit for it.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,368
    oh god a bit toe-curling..please..
  • Options
    Oh dear god, Cammie's trying his Blair impersonation yet again. It's tragic really.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I can certainly imagine Ed making self-deprecating jokes. Largely because he did so last week.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

I can certainly imagine Ed making self-deprecating jokes. Largely because he did so last week.

Was that the policy bit ?
  • Options
    Is Tim going to carry on with his bitter gossipy fishwife impression all through the speech? Is Mick Pork going to try and impress his mentor by doing a Phil Neale to Graham Taylor 'yes boss' line all the way through.
    Do I not like Tim and Mick!!
  • Options
    tim said:

Section about Thatcher not mentioning her, chemical weapons and Halabja for some reason.

Sam vetoed that bit.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,203
    edited October 2013
    tim said:

"when their freedom was in peril, who offered blood, toil, tears and sweat?"

Ed's Dad

And the senior partner Septics.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    tim said:

"when their freedom was in peril, who offered blood, toil, tears and sweat?"

Ed's Dad

Dave's grandfather was wounded at D-Day

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_William_Mount,_2nd_Baronet
  • Options
    Cammie tries serious face into Camera, points to Osbrowne and his amusing barnet, textbook!
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758

If Adolf had popped his clogs at the end of 1938 he'd be in the pantheon of great Germans and still have streets and squares named after him.

Even after burning of the Reichstag, Night of the Long Knives, book burning, Dachau, Nuremberg race laws, Guernica & Krisstallnacht? I doubt even Goebbels PR skills & German amnesia would stretch that far.
    They would be seen as unfortunate failings in an otherwise successful career. The victors write history.

In 1938 Stalin was several millions ahead in the murder stakes and people lined up to praise him.
  • Options
    Ham sandwich speech so far - will there be a chili sauce ending ?
  • Options

Is Tim going to carry on with his bitter gossipy fishwife impression all through the speech? Is Mick Pork going to try and impress his mentor by doing a Phil Neale to Graham Taylor 'yes boss' line all the way through.
    Do I not like Tim and Mick!!

Is that you StuartTruth? LOL
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Cammie tries serious face into Camera, points to Osbrowne and his amusing barnet, textbook!

Mick, I'm looking forward to your commentary on the SNP conference in October.

• Options

Mick_Pork said:

Mick, I'm looking forward to your commentary on the SNP conference in October.

If a tree falls in the wilderness and nobody hears it - does it make a sound ?
  • Options

Probably, though he'd be a controversial figure. The German economic and diplomatic recoveries from 1933 to 1938 would more than balance out the sort of domestic authoritarian policies that were fairly common in most central / southern European countries at the time. The Night of the Long Knives was popular at the time (the SA was rightly seen as an overbearing bunch of thugs).
  • Options
    Iain Lindley @cllrilindley
    Standing room only for the PM! #cpc13 pic.twitter.com/RoFhUAYBWB
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    jeremy warner @JeremyWarnerUK
    Well done #Cameron for stressing a self help message - at last a proper ideological divide with Labour begins to emerge.

PM: Last week Labour proposed to put up corporation tax on our biggest and most successful employers. #cpc13

Patrick Cusworth @Patriccus
    "Bashing business may play well to a Labour audience, but it is crazy for our country" #cpc13 > More for the private sector required
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    "Do you get that?!" *Rheumy stare into camera* Frightening stuff from Cast Iron Cammie.

Good thing he moved quickly into the comedy turns section, assuming that was what it was.
  • Options

In 1938 Stalin was several millions ahead in the murder stakes and people lined up to praise him.

Still true in 2013.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Jonathan Badyal @JonathanBadyal
    300,000 new businesses formed since the 2010 general election #cpc13

George Morrall @GeorgeMorrall
    300,000 new businesses is a good figure by anybody's standards. Huge entrepreneurial strength is still deeply embedded in UK economy #cpc13
  • Options
    I'm enjoying the twitter war between tim and Plato - for every critical tweet tim posts Plato comes back with a supportive one. Who will win? Hopefully there's more than one way to decide.
  • Options
    "Blue Peter"???

LOL

Are we going to get the "Ronseal Deal" again?

This is pure Alan Partridge.
  • Options
    Cammie still backing HS2 to the hilt. He'd best be sure he can get it through then.
  • Options
    Neil said:

I'm enjoying the twitter war between tim and Plato - for every critical tweet tim posts Plato comes back with a supportive one. Who will win? Hopefully there's more than one way to decide.

Better them retweeting than twerking I suppose...
  • Options

Probably, though he'd be a controversial figure. The German economic and diplomatic recoveries from 1933 to 1938 would more than balance out the sort of domestic authoritarian policies that were fairly common in most central / southern European countries at the time. The Night of the Long Knives was popular at the time (the SA was rightly seen as an overbearing bunch of thugs).

Not many streets left named after Franco and Musso.
    Maybe a post '38 mortem AH would have had a period of rose-tinted commemoration, but assuming that Europe had reached the same liberal plateau we have, he'd be far too gamey for modern mores.

• Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,710
    Neil said:

Indeed...
  • Options
    HS2 - Ladbrokes bingo winner
  • Options
    "CAST IRON!"

Brave mention indeed. Still no Boris though.
  • Options
    Oh dear lord are you going to go through the entire cabinet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcrUuCDFLOQ
  • Options
    A day in the life of twigg.

Jesus H. Christ this is cringeworthy.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Dave just committed to massive public spending. A new technical college in every town.
  • Options
    Adam Boulton @adamboultonSKY
    DC: The left don't like privilege unless its for their own children. We are ambitious for all our children.

Stephen Twigg was opposing free schools on R4 at 0810 and backing them in his own seat the same day....
  • Options
    Far better on adoption. Probably most effective bit yet.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I think "My Friends" (Cam) sounds much better than "Friends" (EdM), which sounds like he has translated his speech directly from the Russian.

Small point but the election will turn on such things.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,782
    Miliband takes his fight to the Evening Standard:

"Ed Miliband looks thin and tense, his pristine white shirt emphasising very dark and wounded looking eyes.

“This is very hard,” he says haltingly. “My dad died 19 years ago, he meant so much to me. I did ponder over the weekend what was the right thing to do.”

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/exclusive-interview-ed-miliband-stunned-into-defending-war-veteran-father-against-daily-mail-attack-8853222.html
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Dave just committed to massive public spending. A new technical college in every town.

"We’ve already got technical colleges run by great companies like JCB. I say: let’s have one of those colleges in every single major town"

Doesn't sound like any govt money required.

Private education - that will have the lefties spluttering into their flat whites.
  • Options
    Armed Forces 1.8mins better than Social Workers, applause-wise.
  • Options
    "Boris" get's mention. Always was a safe one that. But what about the rumours? Nothing more on Boris?
  • Options
    Standard posturing on welfare and immigration, nothing the kippers will worry about.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Very strong stuff on immigration and illegal visitors on NHS, appeals et al - great.

Big hand for IDS and his work on helping rather than paying for the problem to hide.
  • Options
    Some pie in the sky nonsense about under 25's.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

They would be seen as unfortunate failings in an otherwise successful career. The victors write history.

FWIW, when my Mum was a school she had to write an essay on Hitler. Typical teenager she put it off to the night before it was due. Thought she could just copy it out of Encyclopaedia Britannica. She snuck into her Dad's study and opened up the appropriate volume of the 1933 edition.

Total article: "Hitler, Adolf. Recently elected Chancellor of Germany."
  • Options
    Land of hope and Tory
  • Options
    tim said:

TGOHF said:

Jonathan said:

"We’ve already got technical colleges run by great companies like JCB. I say: let’s have one of those colleges in every single major town"

Private education - that will have the lefties spluttering into their flat whites.
    You think JCB pay for the college?
    LOL
    I was at a college bought and paid for and run by a private business last week - purely an anecdote mind you.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Uh oh, another 'comedy' section. Watch out, Beans! ;^ )
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Where's the beef? This is very, very thin. Policy lite, platitude heavy.

That was it?? Crikey!
  • Options

Land of hope and Tory

Mugger of the Free
  • Options
    Was that it?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    What can I say? Much better than Clegg. That's about it.
  • Options
    tim said:

TGOHF said:

tim said:

TGOHF said:

Jonathan said:

You think JCB pay for the college?
    LOL
    I was at a college bought and paid for and run by a private business last week - purely an anecdote mind you.

JCB academy is minimum 90% funded by the taxpayer.

""We’ve already got technical colleges run by great companies like JCB. I say: let’s have one of those colleges in every single major town"

Doesn't sound like any govt money required."

Clueless
    Would keep unionised lecturers out though - marvellous.

• Options

Not many streets left named after Franco and Musso.
    Maybe a post '38 mortem AH would have had a period of rose-tinted commemoration, but assuming that Europe had reached the same liberal plateau we have, he'd be far too gamey for modern mores.

True, though Mussolini's record is tarnished by the war and alliance with Hitler, while Franco has the stain of the Spanish Civil War on his record. How a Hitler who died in late 1938 would have been remembered by popular history would, I suspect, have depended largely on how his successors managed in office and what they did. I think you're probably right that had there been a general swing to democracy heading into the 21st century, his reputation would have suffered as his domestic abuses were given greater prominance but it would have been a gradual decline.
  • Options
    Roger said:

That's good enough from you, Roger.

Better than Pork's scratchings.

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    tim said:

Land of hope is Tory

Excellent slogan, not toxic at all.

Which bit don't you like?

Land?
    Hope?
    Land of Hope?
    Tory?
  • Options
    tim said:

Land of hope is Tory

Ten thousand slumbering Kippers open their eyes long enough to catch sight of Dave flying the rhetorical flag.

Job done.
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    Isn`t the Tory conference due to start soon?
  • Options
    Back to something more lively. I'd post some of the stuff Heseltine's comments have sparked (of which there is a huge amount) but I fear I cannot. Seems like he hit a bit of a raw nerve.
  • Options
    tim said:

Land of hope is Tory

All that ramping about Ed's dad and headlines and Cameron didn't say anything.

Labour much ado about nothing as we say down this part of the world.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Roger said:

That's good enough from you, Roger.

Better than Pork's scratchings.

Lansley still isn't PM I notice, Seth O Logue. Keep hoping. ;)
  • Options
    tim said:

CCHQ Press Office ‏@RicHolden 6m
    YES WE CAM #cpc13

Priceless

LOL

Is Ric Holden a PB tory? Su-perb!

• Options
    Heseltine plugging away with "Vote UKIP get Miliband".

Just as well Miliband is still bang in the centre......
  • Options
    Dave's speech = top marks

Ed's speech = full Marx
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    I like trees too, but I think I may concentrate on planting poppies next year.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Gove floundering badly on Energy. Gove getting angry now. Marvellous. :)
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    Cammo is right to highlight Labour's corporation tax clanger. I am expecting that little measure to be quietly dropped before 2015.
  • Options
    Norm said:

Cammo is right to highlight Labour's corporation tax clanger. I am expecting that little measure to be quietly dropped before 2015.

Why is it a clanger? Labour's proposed corporation tax rate is one that the Coalition themselves were happy to legislate for earlier in the Parliament.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    Norm said:

How many votes do you think there are in cutting corporation tax for large companies? I'd say approximately 0.

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    It doesn't sound as if I missed much content. How good were the soundbites?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Ed 'saoirse' Kelly ‏@somerandomhash 1h

Essentially, Hesiltine has just told floating Tories if they vote for #UKIP they are racist...
    Why are they missing the point? Heseltine did NOT call UKIP loonies and fruitcakes, so it's clearly a charm offensive.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    edited October 2013
    The first bit of unquestionable BBC bias I have seen. Those delegates interviewed after Cameron's speech were clearly supplied by Central casting to make Tory party members look ridiculous.
  • Options

Norm said:

How many votes do you think there are in cutting corporation tax for large companies? I'd say approximately 0.

its a shame really as big compnaies tend to be more diversely owned (certainly listed companies are) and belong to an awful lot of people in terms of pension and insurance funds. Small companies usually have a wealthy individual owning them.
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    tim said:

SMukesh said:

Overshadowed by Miliband, who'd have guessed it 10 days ago?

YES WE CAM #cpc13

Priceless

Cam looks like he`s depressed with bags under his eyes.

Looks like CCHQ don`t have a clue how to repsond to Miliband`s ideas!
  • Options
    Neil said:

Norm said:

Why is it a clanger? Labour's proposed corporation tax rate is one that the Coalition themselves were happy to legislate for earlier in the Parliament.
    The fact that Labour are prepared to increase it to pay for whatever whim catches their fancy sends out the wrong signals to overseas investors and owners of multinationals considering coming to Britain. The actual amount of the increase in itself is fairly irrelevant .
  • Options
    Is Ed still wandering around the media playgrounds threatening to beat up anyone who insults his dad?
  • Options
    @JohnRentoul: "Conference speeches in 140 chars: EdM stayed on the left; Cam stayed in the progressive centre."

• Options

Norm said:

its a shame really as big compnaies tend to be more diversely owned (certainly listed companies are) and belong to an awful lot of people in terms of pension and insurance funds. Small companies usually have a wealthy individual owning them.
    Yes, they're companies owned by the public, as opposed to 'publicly owned' companies. Got that? English is difficult to explain sometimes.
  • Options
    So the conference season is over and what have we learnt ?

Ed thinks it's not fair that some people think his dad was a bit weird.

That's it.
  • Options

Norm said:

Unlike with the Labour party here and interestingly their defeated cousins in Australia not everything in politics should be about the obsessive garnering of votes in the short term.
  • Options
    Norm said:

Neil said:

Norm said:

The fact that Labour are prepared to increase it to pay for whatever whim catches their fancy sends out the wrong signals to overseas investors and owners of multinationals considering coming to Britain. The actual amount of the increase in itself is fairly irrelevant .
    So Labour obviosuly want to tax ethical companies who by and large pay 20% of tax on their profits like Waterstones more and widen the gap and playing field with companies like Amazon.WELL DONE
  • Options
    "One cannot help but feel Miliband has been sucker punched here. Sure, his defence of his father is heartfelt and his courage in taking on the Daily Mail is to be applauded. But there is the nagging sense that this plays into Paul Dacre's hands. After all, Miliband has kept the story alive and allowed the Mail to repeat its assertions. He is being smeared in the same way as Kinnock was. He is now "Red Ed" with the sinister blood of his father running through his veins."

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/the-conversation-uk/daily-mail-attack-miliband_b_4024649.html
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

tim said:

SMukesh said:

Overshadowed by Miliband, who'd have guessed it 10 days ago?

YES WE CAM #cpc13

Priceless

Cam looks like he`s depressed with bags under his eyes.

Looks like CCHQ don`t have a clue how to repsond to Miliband`s ideas!
    Brilliant ! PB Lefties you've gotta love them.

Yes SMukesh I'm sure he's just trembling at the thought of Ed saying that's not fair to everything.
  • Options

Norm said:

Yes, they're companies owned by the public, as opposed to 'publicly owned' companies. Got that? English is difficult to explain sometimes.
    Sorry don't understand your point
  • Options

That's it.

Shouldn't that be 'fiercely Marxist dad'?
  • Options
    edited October 2013

That's it.

I think there is more to it than that. One of the biggest criticisms of political parties is that they are "all the same". Labour definitely broke from the pack last week. Risky, but a definite change.
This discussion has been closed.