Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The limitations of polling: How Americans responded when as

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,703
    "London clubs today criticised under-fire Labour star Chuka Umunna claiming he is “out of touch” for saying West End nightspots are “full of trash”.

The owners of five clubs wrote to the shadow business secretary saying they were “appalled” at his comments and invited him for a night out to see what it was really like.

The open letter read: “The UK’s night-time economy is worth £66 billion every year. Mr Umunna criticises an industry which brings in millions of pounds to the capital and provides thousands of jobs.”

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/london-club-owners-invite-out-of-touch-chuka-umunna-to-try-nightlife-8569899.html
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Like Korea?

North Korea has a lot of stuff but most of it is obsolete and would really just be providing a target rich environment if war ever kicked off. Their forces are geared to fight a 1950s war not a modern one.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Graham Evans was reselected as Conservative candidate for Weaver Vale on 9th April:

https://twitter.com/GrahamEvansMP
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    tim said:

@TGOHF

I don't think his mother died in the car crash as well did she, why would he have an IHT bill?

Fair point - so is the property in a Miliband style tax avoidance trust or is it covered by Spanish IHT ?

• Options
    Young Senior: Lets us face the future
    Young Junior: Let us re-create the past

"It would be an insult to Margaret Thatcher’s memory for the BBC to ban Ding Dong the Witch is Dead"

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/tobyyoung/100211811/it-would-be-an-insult-to-margaret-thatchers-memory-for-the-bbc-to-ban-ding-dong-the-witch-is-dead/

More money for tax-avoiding global corporations, I say!

• Options
    JonCJonC Posts: 67
    On topic - fascinating but I guess predictable. It is why Liverpool Walton is a nailed on Labour hold and Orpington a Tory one - a big enough proportion of voters barely care what the policies are in these areas and will vote for "their" party.

The response of political parties to the reasonable conclusion that elections are decided in the middle ground has been to drift centrewards. but in this week of all weeks maybe a clarion call for a conviction politician (no not you Mr Huhne) should go out?
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    edited April 2013

North Korea has a lot of stuff but most of it is obsolete and would really just be providing a target rich environment if war ever kicked off. Their forces are geared to fight a 1950s war not a modern one.
    Not if the 'brilliant' film Red Alert Dawn is anything to go by
  • Options
    I doubt Stokie is the type of place Chuka would hang out.
    john_zims said:

@Tim

'A guide to Ed Balls' London'

Did Chuka write the guide?

• Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    Chuka Umunna's a bit of a c*ck. I reckon even leftish swayers like me think that.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Exactly, Mr. Labour, they are geared up to fight the last war. No one has to hope that their generals know this and know that they would be slaughtered if war kicks off, however given the control of information over there one has to wonder if they do. If they don't it might make it more likely that they will go over the edge.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

The Independent is reporting that UKIP are contesting 1001 seats in the 2nd May elections, rather than the 1727 mentioned on PB.

"The anti-EU party is consistently in double figures in the opinion polls and is fielding 1,001 candidates, up from 319 last year."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/tories-braced-for-heavy-losses-as-coalition-goes-headtohead-8569156.html

http://www7.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2013/04/09/ukip-are-fielding-candidates-in-three-quarters-of-the-local-seats-up-on-may-2nd/

The article says "Its best hopes are in Hull, Hartlepool, Stockton-on-Tees and West Wiltshire."

But i don't think Hull, Hartlepool and Stockton vote this year!
    I don't think they do either. IMHO, UKIP's best chances will be in Devon, Cornwall, Staffordshire, Surrey, Cambridge, and Norfolk.
  • Options
    You ever been to the West End after midnight?

"London clubs today criticised under-fire Labour star Chuka Umunna claiming he is “out of touch” for saying West End nightspots are “full of trash”.

The owners of five clubs wrote to the shadow business secretary saying they were “appalled” at his comments and invited him for a night out to see what it was really like.

The open letter read: “The UK’s night-time economy is worth £66 billion every year. Mr Umunna criticises an industry which brings in millions of pounds to the capital and provides thousands of jobs.”

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/london-club-owners-invite-out-of-touch-chuka-umunna-to-try-nightlife-8569899.html

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,035

I think this is a case where quantity has a quality all of its own. NK has had fifty years in which to prepare. The problem is the closeness of Seoul to the DMZ - it is within easy range of the massed ranks of artillery. And they have lots of artillery.

For example, take the tunnels known (and presumed) to run under the DMZ. NK will have the best out of a surprise war, for a time at least. If China does not intervene and a war lasts more than a couple of weeks, then I cannot see the north winning. If the northern army push south as they did in the autumn of 1950, the south and the US will lose the war.

No nation (or nations) has the capability for another Inchon-style landing against a well-trained mass defender.

It will all depend on surprise. Which is why I am not overly concerned about the current tension.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Tunnel_of_Aggression
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    tim said:

@TGOHF

I don't think his mother died in the car crash as well did she, why would he have an IHT bill?

It would depend on the will. IHT would still apply if the estate didn't all go to the wife (depending on amounts etc of course).
  • Options
    Just a bit of a cock, or does he have more depth?
    Carola said:

Chuka Umunna's a bit of a c*ck. I reckon even leftish swayers like me think that.

• Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    edited April 2013
    @TGOFH

'Tax haven riddle of 'British Obama' family's £1m home | Mail Online
    www.dailymail.co.uk/.../Tax-haven-riddle-British-Obama-familys-1...

Nov 5, 2011 – Shadow Business Secretary Chuka Umunna led attacks on 'tax avoiders' - yet it has ... RBC, also based on the Channel Island, boasts it is one of the 'top ten' largest wealth .... People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones !

• Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    TGOHF said:

scampi said:

@Tim @Smithson I see you have your bff supporting you now. It's so refreshing to see the site owner rushing to your defence. How very Bercow of him. BTW You wouldn't know a fact if it hit you in the face.

The shark was jumped some months ago. Shame really.

One poster thinks lefties like me are influencing Mike because we pay subs. I reckon we need an inquiry.

• Options
    tim said:

@TGOHF

No idea, he was 14 when his father was killed as you'd have known if you'd shown the same interest as you do in Salmond's wife's age.

It's a legitimate question for the future - will Chukka avoid tax on a huge property like his leader did - or will he contribute towards the exchequer from his large wad of "unearned income" ??

• Options

It beats the Bigg Market (if not for entertainment!) any day of the week!
  • Options
    Tim Shipman ‏@ShippersUnbound 6m

Proof benefit cap is encouraging people to work. DWP figures show 25% of those supposed to be hit are no longer on benefits.

8,000 people who were to be hit by benefit cap have got jobs instead. Another 8,000 (presumably living cash in hand) no longer claiming.

• Options
    Must have more cellulite on display per square mile than any other part of the planet.

It beats the Bigg Market (if not for entertainment!) any day of the week!
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Labour sources: will move the writ for South Shields by election on Monday, to take place on May 2nd

Link PH
  • Options
    Did they provide churn stats over the past 30 years so that we can compare and contrast?
    TGOHF said:

Tim Shipman ‏@ShippersUnbound 6m

Proof benefit cap is encouraging people to work. DWP figures show 25% of those supposed to be hit are no longer on benefits.

8,000 people who were to be hit by benefit cap have got jobs instead. Another 8,000 (presumably living cash in hand) no longer claiming.

• Options
    Spin from both ends so early in the season...

• Options
    Spin from both ends so early in the season...

• Options
  • Options
    "If the northern army push south as they did in the autumn of 1950, the south and the US will lose the war."

Nah, the preparation argument applies to both sides, the South and the Septics have had just as much time to plan. Seoul will take a beating on the first day and lots of civvies will die but the airpower of the US and the South is so overwhelming that a massed advance South will slaughtered. Quantity having a quality of its own was a useful maxim in the seventies but massed ranks of obsolete armour trying to advance against all weather delivery of modern sub-munitions is only gong to end one way.

Quite why the North have ramped up the rhetoric at this time is an interesting question. I have seen opinions varying from an internal power struggle (the new guy is trying to consolidate his hold on the military) to a new round of attention/aide seeking, but I am not sure anyone actually knows. One of the problems the DPRK face is that having used similar tactics in the past to finesse aide they have to go to further extremes each time they play this game to get noticed. If the Chinese don't reign them in or the Sceptics don't play ball this time, how does Kim back down without losing too much face with his own generals?
  • Options
    tim said:

@TGOHF

I'd have thought by now that you'd know IDS' figures always fall apart.
    The best ones revolve around immigrants on benefit, but he's got an impressive record in other areas too.

As reliable as no more boom and bust, good time to sell gold and unemployment will rise to 4 million ?

Guffaw.

• Options
    I guess a lot will not be allowed near work because of the expensive security arrangements for which we the people are paying.
    TGOHF said:
  • Options
    tim said:

@TGOHF

They were opinions, it's IDS' "facts" which fall apart.

How about Alistair Darlings £118Bn of borrowing estimate in the 2008 budget ? As accurate as that ?

• Options

Blank page.

Works for me - perhaps you need to be logged into Facebook first?

• Options
    Another classic Sun headline:

Blair bitch project
    Ex-PM and heavyweight pals tear into Red Ed

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/4883976/Blair-bitch-project-Ex-PM-and-pals-tear-into-Red-Ed.html#ixzz2QFOnvj4s
  • Options
    I am not a member of Facebook. Am wary enough of other online outfits data mining my information.

Blank page.

Works for me - perhaps you need to be logged into Facebook first?

• Options
    Another 'Victory for Eck!'

SNP split over post-independence US base plan

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/snp-split-over-post-independence-us-base-plan-1-2891394
  • Options

Blair bitch project

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/4883976/Blair-bitch-project-Ex-PM-and-pals-tear-into-Red-Ed.html#ixzz2QFOnvj4s

"OUCH" !
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Off topic, I've dipped my toe in the water of twitter again to see what all the fuss was about. I'm not tweeting but I have been following a very limited number of people. Where do people find the time to tweet? And why do they think that much of what they are saying is of the slightest interest to other people? I'm astonished at how narcissistic and lacking in self-awareness so many outwardly-respectable people are.

However, it has been useful when all that is done is link to proper articles. Can anyone recommend some non-narcissistic tweeters who relay information rather than opine on pet hobbyhorses or post pictures of amusing shaped carrots?
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    @Carlotta

"growing revolt"

Er, yeah...
  • Options
    What an honour that our future PM has been attacked by a "has-been".

Blair bitch project

• Options
    Question for the nats on here.

At present your German, French students can study in Scotland for free as they are part of the EU and they are entitled to pay the same as the Scottish students. English students have to pay the full fees.

If Scotland becomes Indy - will English students gain the same status as just another EU nation and get to study free ?

Could see a big rise in applications to Scottish Universities !
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Where do people find the time to tweet? And why do they think that much of what they are saying is of the slightest interest to other people?

That's ironic, right? "Where do people find the time to post to pbc? And why do they think that much of what they are saying is of the slightest interest to other people?"
  • Options
    Neil said:

@Carlotta

"growing revolt"

Er, yeah...

I think Ed very nicely, very politely and very firmly put Blair back in his box.....the interesting thing is the balance on Labour list of comments on Blair (who he?)'s intervention...

• Options

What an honour that our future PM has been attacked by a "has-been".

Blair bitch project

Who did win 3 elections and like Thatcher was 'never defeated'.....

Back seat drivers - donchajuslovem!

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Do journalists check their work any more before publishing it ?

"Real remain the only side still unbeaten in the competition" (Re Champions League). I wouldn't want to show such a basic factual mistake on a twitter article to be read by 10 people, let alone the Daily Telegraph.
  • Options
    In case you missed it yesterday - great blog from Dan Hodges on the perils of commenting and a famous mum:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danhodges/100211777/mum-did-to-maggie-what-shed-done-to-kermit/

" I think the House of Commons assembled on Wednesday to honour a woman of conviction. And like it or not, a woman of conviction was what it got to see. Am I Glenda Jackson’s son? Yes, I am."
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    @Neil pb is like a conversation, twitter is like a broadcast. A broadcast in 140 characters with no nuance, very often with no deep thought and all too rarely with any compensating wit.

I appreciate that there are some conversations on twitter, but those are relatively rare and still more rarely illuminating. On here, I often learn things in a much more discursive way. And pb posts that are broadcasts rarely survive first contact with the enemy.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    @Tim

Wouldn't The Mail say Maggie saved the country, then Major, Blair, Brown and Cameron destroyed it?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited April 2013
    BBC - An actress who sued Amazon.com after her date of birth was posted on its Internet Movie Database has had her claim rejected by a jury in Seattle.

Junie Hoang (41) alleged that offers dried up after the database revealed her real age.

A Tragedy to be sure – and going by her (short) list of film rolls, so was her acting.
  • Options
    "SNP split over post-independence US base plan"

Have the Americans ever said that they want a base in Scotland?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    antifrank said:

@Neil pb is like a conversation, twitter is like a broadcast. A broadcast in 140 characters with no nuance, very often with no deep thought and all too rarely with any compensating wit.

I appreciate that there are some conversations on twitter, but those are relatively rare and still more rarely illuminating. On here, I often learn things in a much more discursive way. And pb posts that are broadcasts rarely survive first contact with the enemy.

Most tweets aren't even original, people posting the same 100 characters as a 'retweet'

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    antifrank said:

Off topic, I've dipped my toe in the water of twitter again to see what all the fuss was about. I'm not tweeting but I have been following a very limited number of people. Where do people find the time to tweet? And why do they think that much of what they are saying is of the slightest interest to other people? I'm astonished at how narcissistic and lacking in self-awareness so many outwardly-respectable people are.

However, it has been useful when all that is done is link to proper articles. Can anyone recommend some non-narcissistic tweeters who relay information rather than opine on pet hobbyhorses or post pictures of amusing shaped carrots?

@iam_magazine is absolutely magnificent.

• Options
    glassfetglassfet Posts: 220
    @TimGattITV: Report: Met Police sergeant who allegedly posted offensive tweets about Margaret Thatcher has quit the force http://itv.co/16PEgrb
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    glassfet said:

@TimGattITV: Report: Met Police sergeant who allegedly posted offensive tweets about Margaret Thatcher has quit the force http://itv.co/16PEgrb

Silly.... but again Camerons 'too many tweets make a tw*t' proves correct.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

antifrank said:

@iam_magazine is absolutely magnificent.

You might find @MSmithsonPB interesting.

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    edited April 2013
    The copper who tweeted about Margaret Thatcher may be an @rse, but what happened to freedom of speech, freedom of thought & freedom to tweet.

It is so wrong to shut down criticism. Why should he resign?

• Options
    Date set for South Shields: it is to be 2nd May.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22125020#
  • Options
    WATO - sounds like the EU will extend every assistance short of actual help to Cyprus - and the Irish are asking for more time -Germany "more time = more money"....
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    @Neil

I see you made the comment about your impression of PPCs getting younger last night.
    I guess it is mainly Tory new PPCs who gave you that impression.

I think it may due to the fact many usual parliamentary hopefuls actually got in in 2010 between retirements and gains. Those who are 45-50 and still around are probably at their last chance. If they think Tories are unlikely to gain new seats at the moment, some are probably saving themselves for selections in constituencies where the sitting Tory MP is retiring.
    And so the new generation enters the fray......they don't need to win the seat in 2015 as they would probably have another opportunity in 2020 given their age.
  • Options
    "It is so wrong to shut down criticism. Why should he resign - a verbal warning should have been sufficient."

Probably because he breached his contract of employment.
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited April 2013
    dr_spyn said:

The copper who tweeted about MT may be an @rse, but what happened to freedom of speech, freedom of thought & freedom to tweet.

It is so wrong to shut down criticism. Why should he resign - a verbal warning should have been sufficient.

A person so full of irrational hatred is clearly not fit to be a policeman. Would you want to rely on someone like that to protect you? What if he decides for political reasons that you should die in pain and suffering as well?
  • Options
    @RichardNabavi

Trial by Twitter replaces Trial by Jury which replaced Trial by Ordeal. Is this progress?
  • Options
    glassfet said:

What are the chances he has retired on full pension rather than "resigned"?

Too many policemen seem to "retire" (on issues much more serious than this essentially trivial act of foolishness) rather than face an investigation into their behaviour with the potential for loss of pension...
  • Options
    I think there are currently three MPs under the age of 30: Bridget Phillipson, James Wharton and Gemma Nash.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    SouthShields by-election to be held on May 2 - same day as county council elections. http://bbc.in/ZqE2Cq
  • Options
    I wonder if this is a Hollande policy Miliband will emulate:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/12/us-france-socialists-idUSBRE93B0EN20130412

An inventory of French ministers' assets could set off a storm when it goes public on Monday, exposing a handful of millionaires in the Socialist government as the nation endures spending cuts and rampant unemployment.

• Options

rather than face an investigation into their behaviour with the potential for loss of pension...

What circumstances would you consider appropriate for confiscation of pension? Gross misconduct in any other job (save where the employee has stolen or defrauded money from their employer) wouldnt usually result in confiscation of pension.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

@RichardNabavi

Trial by Twitter replaces Trial by Jury which replaced Trial by Ordeal. Is this progress?

Piffle. If you accept a contract of employment which says that you must not behave in a certain way, on duty or off, then you breach that contract you should not be surprised if your employer takes a dim view. That this chap has been allowed to resign rather than being fired for gross misconduct seems very generous to me.

Trial by twitter it wasn't.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

@RichardNabavi

Would it have been OK if he'd something equally vile about, say, Peter Tatchell?

This tolerance of the most vile hatred by far too many people is completely unacceptable in a civilised society, let alone when it is a policeman doing the hating. I hestitate to call the hatred of Maggie 'politically motivated', because there isn't anything as rational as politics behind it; it is just hate, pure and simple.
  • Options
    @HurstLlama

Has due process been followed? I respect your points re terms of contracts of employment.
  • Options
    Neil said:

rather than face an investigation into their behaviour with the potential for loss of pension...

What circumstances would you consider appropriate for confiscation of pension? Gross misconduct in any other job (save where the employee has stolen or defrauded money from their employer) wouldnt usually result in confiscation of pension.
    I am not sure that it does in the Old Bill, either despite what Miss Plato said earlier. There was legislation passed in the seventies to protect pension rights when someone was fired and which applied to everyone, as I recall. I am sure you'll know more about such matters than I do but I don't remember the Police being subsequently exempted from that law.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    dr_spyn said:

@RichardNabavi

“what happened to freedom of speech, freedom of thought & freedom to tweet.”

The police started arresting people for doing it.

Should he have resigned over the matter? – well, there is an argument to be made, that broadcasting on a public forum your desire to see elderly ladies suffer a lingering and painful death, might be incongruous to a career of enforcing the law of the land and helping the public.

It’s the kind of story that would normally have the average Guardian reader reaching for the smelling salts – if Thatcher was not the lady in question that is.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    I see elements of the left still want to act like spoilt brats over Thatcher.

As Johnny Rotten said

John Lydon, A.K.A. Johnny Rotten the former Sex Pistol punk, says…

“I was her enemy in life but I won’t be her enemy in death… What kind of politics are they offering me? You dance on another person’s grave? That’s loathsome.”

Quite

Also another day and a further headache re Cyprus........

• Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    @nickshaxson
    Martin Wolf on Thatcher: she threw Britain back to the 19th Century, creating a nation of rentiers, not entrepreneurs http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/00fa02fa-a1d2-11e2-ad0c-00144feabdc0.html
  • Options
    Ladbrokes odds, South Shields:

Lab 1/33
    UKIP 16/1
    Con 100/1
    LD 100/1
    Ind 100/1
    BNP 200/1

http://sports.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/politics/british-politics/south-shields-by-election-e216944105
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    tim said:

Ouch.

MAGGIE was so dismayed by David Cameron’s leadership of Britain she did not want to die while he was at No10.
    A close pal sensationally revealed last night: “It was almost what kept her going. Lady Thatcher was so angry she would even say she didn’t want to die while he was in Downing Street.”
    Baroness Thatcher not only poured out her frustrations privately to chums — but tore into the PM at social occasions.
    She accused him of shirking the kind of tough decisions she made as Tory PM in the 1980s to get the nation back on its feet.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/4883957/Lady-T-so-dismayed-by-Cam-she-didnt-want-to-die-while-he-was-PM.html#ixzz2QFO7Z8w0

myView
    By TOM NEWTON DUNN, Political Editor
    DAVID Cameron had a pint of Guinness with Tory MPs in a Commons bar late on Wednesday night after the Lady T tributes.
    It lifted eyebrows, as he hasn’t been in there and chummed up to them for years. So why did he?
    The comparison between the two PMs that Thatcher’s death naturally invites is very dangerous for him.

I do not think that very likely, just wishful thinking on the part of Newton-Dunn. Maggie did not have the mental capacity to tear into anyone for the last few years because of her dementia and strokes. She may have still had a temper, but I very much doubt that she had the ability to critique the Cameron govt.

People are trying to turn Maggie into whatever totem they imagine, as saviour and witch, both equally untrue and partial views of a complex and often contradictory human being.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

@HurstLlama

Has due process been followed? I respect your points re terms of contracts of employment.

No, Doc, due process has not been followed because the chap in question resigned before it could be instigated. Had he not done so I am sure due process would have been followed.

• Options
    @HL

I dont know anything specific about police pensions. I was more coming from the angle that sacking is appropriate in cases of gross misconduct but that confiscation of pension accrued in the past (before the misconduct occurred) generally isnt (unless to repay ill gotten gains).
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Lab 1/33
    UKIP 16/1
    Con 100/1
    LD 100/1
    Ind 100/1
    BNP 200/1

http://sports.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/politics/british-politics/south-shields-by-election-e216944105

Hmmm, UKIP at 16/1. I think I might have a little of that. Did you see this on Coffee House this morning?

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2013/04/is-ukip-posing-as-the-new-party-of-the-british-working-class/
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    tim said:

@RichardNabavi.

And Aidan Burley is unfit to be an MP I guess.

Every party benefits from having MPs who have worn the uniform, tim.

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    edited April 2013
    Got to agree with Mr Nabavi here - policemen should keep their political opinions to themselves. They have to be seen as, and be, politcally disinterested. If someone cannot manage that, he/she should not serve.
  • Options
    "His resignation comes after figures from Scotland Yard revealed that three police officers have been sacked for misusing social media over the past five years.

Allegations linked to the use of sites including Facebook and Twitter have been recorded against 75 Metropolitan Police officers since 2009, with 38 of the claims substantiated."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/met-police-sergeant-jeremy-scott-resigns-over-offensive-messages-about-thatcher-death-8570179.html
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    BenM said:

@nickshaxson
    Martin Wolf on Thatcher: she threw Britain back to the 19th Century, creating a nation of rentiers, not entrepreneurs http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/00fa02fa-a1d2-11e2-ad0c-00144feabdc0.html

There were no entrepreneurs in 19th Century Britain?

Well, it's a view I suppose; I must have imagined all those railways and shipbuilders and electrical companies and mining companies and banks financing development in South America and companies trading all over the world in the 19th Century.

Fortunately, reading the article it doesn't actually seem to be what Martin Wolf is saying.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    @HurstLlama

Thanks for the link.

I read elsewhere that Farage has been touring the country and that his meetings have been sold-out, etc.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

tim said:

Oh good here comes Outraged ScottP helping us chart the Outrage as he helped us chart the Benefit bounce.

Oh great, here comes my creepy stalker and his man crush.

Can't let one day go by.

Can't let one thread go by.

Can't let one comment go by.

Get a life.

"Get a life"...... not much chance of that is there...........

Still, certain female posters can breath a little more easily now that OCD boy has a new playmate.

• Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited April 2013
    More good news to lighten the sepuchral gloom

Construction output has been a drag on the economy for most of 2012. The February figures released by ONS today show that February output grew by 5.5% over January even though figures are still down on a yearly basis.

This is a promising reversal of previous trends and is yet another sign that the economy is slowly turning around.

The ONS reported increases in output for nearly all sectors, with the exception of "private commercial other new work” which showed a fall of 0.5%.

With bids now going out for the construction of a Thatcher mausoleum and multiple civic memorials to the Iron Lady, we can confidently expect this mini-boom to continue through the year.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

"If the northern army push south as they did in the autumn of 1950, the south and the US will lose the war."

Nah, the preparation argument applies to both sides, the South and the Septics have had just as much time to plan. Seoul will take a beating on the first day and lots of civvies will die but the airpower of the US and the South is so overwhelming that a massed advance South will slaughtered. Quantity having a quality of its own was a useful maxim in the seventies but massed ranks of obsolete armour trying to advance against all weather delivery of modern sub-munitions is only gong to end one way.

Quite why the North have ramped up the rhetoric at this time is an interesting question. I have seen opinions varying from an internal power struggle (the new guy is trying to consolidate his hold on the military) to a new round of attention/aide seeking, but I am not sure anyone actually knows. One of the problems the DPRK face is that having used similar tactics in the past to finesse aide they have to go to further extremes each time they play this game to get noticed. If the Chinese don't reign them in or the Sceptics don't play ball this time, how does Kim back down without losing too much face with his own generals?

Thats more or less how I see it. The North have lots of hardened artillery bunkers that could pound Seoul, but their other assets would last maybe a day before being obliterated by US and South Korean air power and smart munitions. They will collapse as swiftly and completely as Saddams equally impressive paper army. Technology rules in modern conventional war.

The artillery bunkers will be tough though. Are drones and smart weopons accurate enough to fly through their firing slits? Or will it be the traditional combat engineers job with flamethrowers etc? You can bet the South Korean Army has a plan, and it wont be half measures.
  • Options
    @AndyJS

I am too old a dog to get excited or to expect change, but UKIP does seem to building a head of steam. A local political meeting that needed an overflow room in this day and age? It goes against recent history and I think Nelson in his Telegraph column is picking up on something that the main parties with all their sophisticated targeted voters are missing.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ukip/9987168/Margaret-Thatcher-listened-to-voters-now-its-Nigel-Farage-who-hears-their-despair.html
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

AndyJS said:

Lab 1/33
    UKIP 16/1
    Con 100/1
    LD 100/1
    Ind 100/1
    BNP 200/1

Hmmm, UKIP at 16/1. I think I might have a little of that. Did you see this on Coffee House this morning?

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2013/04/is-ukip-posing-as-the-new-party-of-the-british-working-class/
    South Shields has 21,000 postal votes.

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/ukip-will-put-up-fight-for-south-shields-seat-1-5564294
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

TGOHF said:
    "His millionaire dad"

Curiously enough mentioned in neither his Wiki entry nor constituency profile.....

......just as well no one holds wealthy parents or going to a posh school against anyone......

Yet more envious drivel from you. He is from a rich family? So what? The Labour Party is a broad church made up of people from all social classes.

That must be why they try so hard to hide their wealth and pretend to be something they are not.

I still laugh at the thought of members of the last Labour Government geting financial advice to minimise their tax exposure .... and then billing the public for the pleasure.

Not to forget huge plasma tv's and of course dear old Ed trying to pretend he wasn't travelling first class.

What a buch of hpocritical .... chumps.......
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

BenM said:

@nickshaxson

There were no entrepreneurs in 19th Century Britain?

Well, it's a view I suppose; I must have imagined all those railways and shipbuilders and electrical companies and mining companies and banks financing development in South America and companies trading all over the world in the 19th Century.

Fortunately, reading the article it doesn't actually seem to be what Martin Wolf is saying.
    I have a hazy memory of a study linking economic growth with the age of a state. The theory being that as time goes by, special interests add ever more sludge to system.

• Options
    @anotherDave

I do fully expect a Labour hold so I won't be betting the house on it. However, I think UKIP are attracting a lot of people, sufficiently many that to risk a few quid on a 16/1 is reasonable. I wonder if my local bookies will give odds on them coming second.
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    Good old @AveryLP . Don't let the buggers get you down!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    @foxinsox

"You can bet the South Korean Army has a plan, and it wont be half measures."

Quite right, Doc. In the west we have, perhaps, become used to the idea that war is to be limited and preventing our own casualties is the most important thing. However, if war between the North and South Korea does kick off will be a full-on fight to the death. As you say, there will be no half-measures.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

@HurstLlama

No, Doc, due process has not been followed because the chap in question resigned before it could be instigated. Had he not done so I am sure due process would have been followed.
    Indeed, by resigning he has stopped 'due process'.

• Options
    Tonight's Conservative PPB - all about The EU Immigration Benefits.....sorry, tax, council tax, the budget and the deficit....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIZj0NzcjHQ&feature=youtu.be
This discussion has been closed.