Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour continues to struggle in Scotland where it used to hold

13»

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,073

Mr. Archer, during the financial crisis (or just after) I believe Cypriot banks took funds from accounts. Could be wrong, but I think that's what happened.

That's correct. And in the 1970s, the Italian government did a "one off" tax on all bank accounts in the country above a certain level of 2%.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Sandpit said:

They already have a user portal, adding a “cancel subscription” button, with an “are you sure” button after it is no effort at all. They’re deliberately being arseholes in making it as difficult as possible to cancel an arrangement.

The Telegraph last year covered a number of stories about people trying to cancel Sky, that included people closing bank accounts, solicitors’ letters and small claims court cases. People got little or no response until journalists got involved.

Adding the button is easy. You're right. A two minute job. Hooking that up to make changes into backend systems like SAP, covering all use cases, is never cheap - even for seemingly trivial things.

Companies tend to like to bear that sort of integration cost for the things that make you money, not the things that cost you money.

How is it any different to GDPR?
    I think it'd be 100x easier, and 100x better for consumers.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,146
    AndyJS said:

UKIP plus Greens on 8% compared to 3.6% at GE2017.

The 2017 Corbyn Coalition returning to NOTA......
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    AndyJS said:

Very slim chance of that conspiring at a GE I reckon.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422

It can happen only if there is no deal and another legal basis can be found for it.

Nope. It can happen if the either UK or the EU decide they want it. Again the clauses you quote only prevent the act being used to justify a hard border, It does not in any way prevent a hard border if the Government of either side decide they want one.
    Read this sentence again. If there is a deal, it cannot be a deal which requires any kind of border.

create or facilitate border arrangements between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland after exit day which feature physical infrastructure, including border posts, or checks and controls, that did not exist before exit day and are not in accordance with an agreement between the United Kingdom and the EU.
    the issue isn't North South in any case. The BBC lunchtime had an analysis of Irelands trade the bulk of which leaves Dublin for Holyhead or Liverpool 60% goes to the UK and 40% on to the channel ports and tunnel. If there is no deal Ireland is totally fucked.
    Indeed. last time I checked (a few months ago), there were only eight ferries per week sailing from RoI to the continent, one route of which goes to Spain. By contrast, there are up to six per day from Dublin to Holyhead alone, plus the services to Liverpool, Fishguard, Pembroke etc.

And, of course, those lorries from Ireland would have to go through the EU/UK border *twice*.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,728
    RobD said:

Is that a gradual Tory Surge (TM) I am seeing in the blue column? :o:D

Nowhere near the 21% lead that they had just before the last election.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,208
    Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Very slim chance of that conspiring at a GE I reckon.
    Not least because of a lack of candidates.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

RobD said:

Nowhere near the 21% lead that they had just before the last election.
    In Scotland? Must have missed that one... understandable, as I would have probably fainted on the sight of it :p
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:
    Didn't May just ask to accelerate the talks?
    She wants to go nowhere at a faster pace.
    Right, I've got it now.

The - hopefully - decisive Cabinet meeting at Chequers isn't scheduled until the end of next week. Attempting to speed up negotiations before then is a bit pointless, so a bit cheeky for the EU to ask. They must have known the UK wouldn't have been ready.

But I suppose they wanted to make that obvious because it's absurd for May to ask to accelerate the talks when she isn't ready to do so. If she had the Chequers Cabinet meeting before the EU summit then she could have invited the EU for next week (or this weekend) as a concrete sign of intent.
    FFS, this is the most urgent issue the UK has had to deal with since WW2
    What like agreeing to not having a border that neither side wants nor will ever build ? Lol.

It's all Kabuki - tune out and enjoy the sun.
    Companies have no idea how they're going to do business, British people all over the EU don't know whether they're going to need visas or what will happen to their pensions, and the whole thing is stuck waiting for the 21 people who are supposed to be in charge of the country most affected to get around to having a meeting. No hurry or anything, it's hot weather and the footy's on.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

UKIP only stood in 378 seats, and the Greens in 460. Had they contested all 632 GB ones, they'd probably have had a combined 5.5% or so. Add in a bit of Eurosceptic disillusionment against the Tories (and no immediate cost to a mid-term protest), and a bit of lefty discontent versus Corbyn and the Lib Dems, and a UKIP+Green score of 8 doesn't seem unreasonable.
  • Options
    My son is eight, and until recently he spent his time complaining that everything was unfair and the world was against him.

Donald Trump sounds like my son used to.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,288
    RobD said:

if 28.6% > 26% over a 12 month period counts as a surge..
  • Options

RobD said:

if 28.6% > 26% over a 12 month period counts as a surge..
    Come now, the surge is always defined from trough to peak....
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,837
    This is a decent ranking, but I think it needs debating here...
    https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/jun/29/all-abbas-uk-singles-ranked
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,020
    TOPPING said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:
    Right, I've got it now.

The - hopefully - decisive Cabinet meeting at Chequers isn't scheduled until the end of next week. Attempting to speed up negotiations before then is a bit pointless, so a bit cheeky for the EU to ask. They must have known the UK wouldn't have been ready.

But I suppose they wanted to make that obvious because it's absurd for May to ask to accelerate the talks when she isn't ready to do so. If she had the Chequers Cabinet meeting before the EU summit then she could have invited the EU for next week (or this weekend) as a concrete sign of intent.
    What like agreeing to not having a border that neither side wants nor will ever build ? Lol.

Neither side wants and no one will ever build, but one side can threaten it and the other will cave instantly.

I'll leave you to figure out which side is which.
    I suspect you are banking on the wrong side as usual.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369

HYUFD said:
    It seems like the Tories have some how managed to squeezed out a consistent small lead now. God knows how.
    Feel-good factor post-Panama, mid-heatwave.
    It's striking that 30% are satisfied with the Government's performance, 31% think Corbyn is doing well, 35% admire May. There are probably not many of us who agree with all three of these assessments, but between them it means that over 60% of the public feel pretty good about how their party is getting on.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    It seems like the Tories have some how managed to squeezed out a consistent small lead now. God knows how.
    Feel-good factor post-Panama, mid-heatwave.
    It's striking that 30% are satisfied with the Government's performance, 31% think Corbyn is doing well, 35% admire May. There are probably not many of us who agree with all three of these assessments, but between them it means that over 60% of the public feel pretty good about how their party is getting on.
    Are those well/admire scores exclusive to supporters? Can imagine some Tories thinking Corbyn is doing well.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,405

TOPPING said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:
    Right, I've got it now.

Neither side wants and no one will ever build, but one side can threaten it and the other will cave instantly.

I'll leave you to figure out which side is which.
    I suspect you are banking on the wrong side as usual.
    twat
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,800

I would be perfectly happy for the SNP to gain all of Labour's Scottish seats if they gained twice as many from the Tories at the same time.

I suppose it is easy for me to say this as I'm not a SLAB MP defending his/her seat!

The tipping point for SNP to make several gains at Westminster is about SNP 40%, SCon 26%, SLab 24%. To seriously reduce the SCon seats, the swing neeeds to be considerable and I believe SCon have squeezed as much of the SLab/committed Unionist support as they are likely to get.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    GIN1138 said:

10-15 years ago who would ever believe you'd see polls with the Conservatives ahead of Labour in Scotland???? :open_mouth:

I do recall such polls during the February 74 election campaign!
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    What strikes me is the relative stability of the parties' numbers currently. Interested to hear the Scottish PB posters' views on this.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Evening Standard to record £10m loss"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-44537728
  • Options
    justin124 said:

GIN1138 said:

10-15 years ago who would ever believe you'd see polls with the Conservatives ahead of Labour in Scotland???? :open_mouth:

I do recall such polls during the February 74 election campaign!
    An anomaly during the gradual decline since the peak in the 50s?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

There's nothing worse than a function where everyone is getting pissed, but there's little to eat.

Clearly you're not an AIDS sufferer.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

UKIP only stood in 378 seats, and the Greens in 460. Had they contested all 632 GB ones, they'd probably have had a combined 5.5% or so. Add in a bit of Eurosceptic disillusionment against the Tories (and no immediate cost to a mid-term protest), and a bit of lefty discontent versus Corbyn and the Lib Dems, and a UKIP+Green score of 8 doesn't seem unreasonable.
    That's true. It's maybe interesting nonetheless that both parties were declining in the polls until recently.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, really?

I don't dislike Davidson, but I don't see why having kids means you have to like someone more. Not disputing that a poll boost might follow the media coverage, though.

[Also, I'm not sure 'craven' makes sense in that context].

I was doing some research and I was trying to work out why Blair got a boost in late 1999 and the summer of 2000.

It coincided with the announcement and the birth of Leo Blair.

There’s going to be a lot of pictures of her with a newborn baby, the media love that stuff.
    But how will her Lesbian status impact - given the absence of a father in such pictures?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

another Brexit disaster

RoI and NI to create 240,000 jobs over next 5 years

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-44601798
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Mr. Eagles, really?

I don't dislike Davidson, but I don't see why having kids means you have to like someone more. Not disputing that a poll boost might follow the media coverage, though.

I was doing some research and I was trying to work out why Blair got a boost in late 1999 and the summer of 2000.

There’s going to be a lot of pictures of her with a newborn baby, the media love that stuff.
    But how will her Lesbian status impact - given the absence of a father in such pictures?
    I doubt much. The Scots are a tolerant bunch, unless you're English... jk, of course :p
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Right, I've got it now.

FFS, this is the most urgent issue the UK has had to deal with since WW2 and they're ludicrously behind, why do they need to wait until the end of next week to have a cabinet meeting?
    I think it's important to make sure that England is out of the World Cup before the discussions take place.
  • Options

I would be perfectly happy for the SNP to gain all of Labour's Scottish seats if they gained twice as many from the Tories at the same time.

I suppose it is easy for me to say this as I'm not a SLAB MP defending his/her seat!

I strongly disagree with that. I would always vote Tory rather than SNP or Plaid.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,288
    justin124 said:

I strongly disagree with that. I would always vote Tory rather than SNP or Plaid.
    What opportunities have you had to deny the SNP or Plaid your vote?
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,324

Mr. Eagles, really?

It was the induced ecstasy of all those Millennium Dome visitors surely.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,013
    Good afternoon, everyone.

F1: P2 underway.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    AndyJS said:

The Standard's loss - £9.98m - comes after a recorded profit of £2.2m in the previous year, representing a £12m swing into the red.

Long term economic plan....
  • Options
    justin124 said:

The Tories may be able to pick up a few more seats in Scotland next time such as Ayrshire Central, Perth, Lanark, Edinburgh South West.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,949
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:
    Right, I've got it now.

FFS, this is the most urgent issue the UK has had to deal with since WW2 and they're ludicrously behind, why do they need to wait until the end of next week to have a cabinet meeting?
    I think it's important to make sure that England is out of the World Cup before the discussions take place.
    I’m going to be in real trouble if England go all the way. I just realised that the final is on my wife’s birthday.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,079
    justin124 said:

Mr. Eagles, really?

A greater impact will be if religious bigots try to make an issue out of her sexuality. And I bet it will garner her sympathy, not the condemnation they want.

Thank f the world has moved on from the ancient, anachronistic views.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,013
    Mr. Jessop, one would hope that won't happen.
  • Options

another Brexit disaster

You know the Republic of Ireland is staying in the EU, right?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,949

AndyJS said:

The Standard's loss - £9.98m - comes after a recorded profit of £2.2m in the previous year, representing a £12m swing into the red.

So what on Earth changed at the Standard, did they get a new editor or something?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

So what on Earth changed at the Standard, did they get a new editor or something?
    That unfunny cartoonist must be bloody expensive.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,837

another Brexit disaster

another Brexit disaster

Seems excessive for a border force...
  • Options

another Brexit disaster

better than you in all likelihood

I also know that all the Brexit disaster hype stories atm aren't being reflected in the Irish media. If the UK goes down, Ireland goes with it, so why aren't they making any doomsday plans ?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

justin124 said:

The Tories may be able to pick up a few more seats in Scotland next time such as Ayrshire Central, Perth, Lanark, Edinburgh South West.
    In most of those seats I would expect Labour to be the main challenger to the SNP - Perth being the exception.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,800
    AndyJS said:

justin124 said:

Edinburgh SW ( where I live) has seen a significant influx of students in recent years. I'd be surprised if there was a significant swing to SCon ( tactical voting apart).
  • Options

another Brexit disaster

I also know that all the Brexit disaster hype stories atm aren't being reflected in the Irish media. If the UK goes down, Ireland goes with it, so why aren't they making any doomsday plans ?
    The EU is sticking up for them on the border, and they'll be an English-speaking base in the EU while their largest-competitor English-speaking base in the EU leaves the EU, so it's not obvious why you'd be expecting doomsday.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/jonwalker121/status/1012699773483139072

Isn't that a bit like asking, is that big yellow thing in the sky making it absolutely blistering hot?
  • Options

another Brexit disaster

The EU is sticking up for them on the border, and they'll be an English-speaking base in the EU while their largest-competitor English-speaking base in the EU leaves the EU, so it's not obvious why you'd be expecting doomsday.
    don't be ridiculous, Barnier has just offered us a hostage and Ireland will get shafted at the last minute when Merkel needs something for Germany.
  • Options
    sarissa said:

AndyJS said:

justin124 said:

Edinburgh SW ( where I live) has seen a significant influx of students in recent years. I'd be surprised if there was a significant swing to SCon ( tactical voting apart).
    It was also Alastair Darling's seat. I would expect Labour to recover lost ground there.
  • Options
    edited June 2018

Scott_P said:

Isn't that a bit like asking, is that big yellow thing in the sky making it absolutely blistering hot?
    Going to need some more evidence to back up this ridiculous claim. For starters, it’s still hot at night. :D
  • Options
    New thread.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Going to need some more evidence to back up this ridiculous claim. For starters, it’s still hot at night. :D
    I believe a bloke called Piers Corbyn can help you out.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Pulpstar said:

The big picture looks like very little change in Scotland for me. Clearly many 2015GE SNP voters just stayed at home in GE17 but the GE17 ones look like they're here to stay from the above.

The SNP gained Labour's lazy voters.
    That's my line.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

"It was, as we are all aware, the upheaval in politics north of the border in the aftermath of the 2014 independence referendum that changed everything"

I'm not sure I agree with that. In some ways, the referendum just jolted Westminster VI into line with Scotland's voting for other bodies. These are the SNP/Lab shares (plus others, where SNP/Lab was third) for the major elections in Scotland from 2005GE onwards (for Scottish Parliament elections (SP), I've used the regional vote; for local elections, I've used first preferences):

2005 GE Lab 39.5 SNP 17.7 (LD 22.6)
    2007 LE Lab 28.1 SNP 27.9
    2007 SP Lab 29.2 SNP 31.0
    2009 EP Lab 20.8 SNP 29.1
    2010 GE Lab 42.0 SNP 19.9
    2011 SP Lab 26.3 SNP 44.0
    2012 LE Lab 31.4 SNP 32.3
    2014 EP Lab 25.9 SNP 29.0
    2015 GE Lab 24.3 SNP 50.0
    2016 SP Lab 19.1 SNP 41.7 (Con 22.9)
    2017 LE Lab 20.2 SNP 32.3 (Con 25.3)
    2017 GE Lab 27.1 SNP 36.9 (Con 28.6)

So while there was a spike to an unprecedented level for the SNP after the referendum, and while it certainly shifted Westminster voting in a way it had never gone before, it didn't 'change everything'. In particular, the 2011 Holyrood election gave a good foretaste of the 2015 Westminster vote, and looking at the 2005-14 results, it's really the Westminster votes which stand out as exceptional, both with Labour doing so well and the SNP so badly (the contrast between 2009 and 2010 is particularly striking and a measure of how brittle Labour's vote had become).

The SNP 2010 General Election campaign was utter shit.
  • Options
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,403
    Nigelb said:

This is a decent ranking, but I think it needs debating here...
    https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/jun/29/all-abbas-uk-singles-ranked

Not sure I would have SOS in my top 20. But the Day before you came is my favourite.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    justin124 said:

Mr. Eagles, really?

To go non-pc, why should she have a turkey baster in the picture? As Elton John and many other people have shown, two loving parents, whether they are same sex, foster or normal male/female relationship, married or not, or now in a civil partnership, are recommended, but, 1 is more than likely to be acceptable as well.
This discussion has been closed.