Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trump’s Gallup approval rating drops a net minus nine in a wee

SystemSystem Posts: 11,004
edited June 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trump’s Gallup approval rating drops a net minus nine in a week

We’ve now got the first Gallup approval ratings for the period entirely after the immigration clampdown that saw children being forcibly separated from their parents.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,879
    edited June 2018
    First.

The whole Trump situation is a circus, and makes the US look an absolute joke. It'd be nice to sit back and watch except for the risk it creates for the rest of the world.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    TBH, looking at that graph the drop in Trump's approval ratings doesn't look outside the normal range of fluctuations. If anything, the previous rating looks like a slight outlier and this looks more like a reversion to trend.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,247
    edited June 2018
    I still think it is possible for Trump in 2020 to lose the popular vote by an even larger margin than in 2016 and still win the Electoral College.
  • Options
    I've staked £30 on Iran to win this.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,122

How much do you think the Iranian goalkeeper has bet?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

When I said Iran, I meant Morocco. Ahem
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,896
    Morocco !
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

TBH, looking at that graph the drop in Trump's approval ratings doesn't look outside the normal range of fluctuations. If anything, the previous rating looks like a slight outlier and this looks more like a reversion to trend.

The previous rating may also have been a reaction to positive headlines about North Korea. Whether those would naturally have decayed and how rapidly is hard to say for sure
  • Options
    Mark Lawrenson commentary horrendously bias to Iran here
  • Options

DavidL said:

That makes a little more sense. For all their attractive football and control of the ball the Spaniards look surprisingly unthreatening to me.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789

538 has him at 42/52, a level where you'd expect the Dems to take the House, but still possibly lose some Red State Senators.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Wooo the battle of the bastards last 16 match between Luis Suarez and Pepe is back on.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,609
    Pulpstar said:

Fixed that for you.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,935
    edited June 2018

I still think it is possible for Trump in 2020 to lose the popular vote by even larger margin than in 2016 and still win the Electoral College.

Unlikely given he won Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin by less than 1%.

Ironically the reverse may be the case especially if Sanders is his opponent, in areas of California like Orange County that voted for Hillary but are normally GOP his approval rating is up to 50% while nationally it is down to 41%. It is possible Sanders could win Pennsylvania and enough upper Midwest and rustbelt states to narrowly win the Electoral College but narrowly lose the popular vote to Trump as some suburban independents and moderate Republicans in New York and California who voted for Hillary over Trump hold their nose and vote for Trump to keep out Sanders
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

That makes a little more sense. For all their attractive football and control of the ball the Spaniards look surprisingly unthreatening to me.
    Nah, it was on Iran, Carlos Queiroz knocking out Portugal is written in the stars
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Nah, it was on Iran, Carlos Queiroz knocking out Portugal is written in the stars
    Wonder where he is planning to retire?
  • Options

Wooo the battle of the bastards last 16 match between Luis Suarez and Pepe is still back on.

Did we not have that when Ronaldo took on Ramos? But Ramos is not allowed to break the bones of Real Madrid players.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Wonder where he is planning to retire?
    Manchester, he'll be Mourinho's replacement when Jose has his inevitable meltdown.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,007

Wooo the battle of the bastards last 16 match between Luis Suarez and Pepe is back on.

I thought you were going to talk abou Brexiteer infighting.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    This is about the last thread.

I reckon Wigmore and Farage are full of piss and wind.

There's no way you can poll 60,000 people in a short space of time, no pollster has that capability.

https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/1011235762795372544

• Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited June 2018
    kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

Fixed that for you.
    are you sure you are not just showing your own bias?... and is he commentating? I thought he was a sidekick summariser?
  • Options

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

Fixed that for you.
    are you sure you are not just showing your own bias?... and is he commentating? I thought he was a sidekick summariser?
    I'm never sure of that.

They may have a different terminology for the main and sidekick commentator, but both are usually listed as commentators for the game, and are talking about the same amount of time, so I don't think any distinction is really necessary.
  • Options
    ChelyabinskChelyabinsk Posts: 488
    edited June 2018
    'What made this particularly challenging for him were the TV pictures and sounds of the crying children on being taken away from their parents. It was a lot harder for the normal Trump response of “fake news”'

Not that much harder, though.

'In June 2018 social media users began circulating a heart-rending photograph depicting a sobbing toddler clutching the bars of a cage in which he is confined, usually accompanied by commentary stating that the image depicted a boy who had been detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) in 2018... the photograph was taken on 10 June 2018, but it did not show a child confined by immigration authorities to a cage. Rather, it was snapped during a protest staged in front of Dallas City Hall' (1)

'In May 2018, a photograph of two children sleeping inside a fenced enclosure was widely circulated via social media with accompanying text stating that it pictured a “kids’ concentration camp” in the U.S.... This photograph dates from 2014 (during the Obama administration) and was not directly related to a mid-2018 controversy over Trump administration policy of separating children from undocumented migrant parents at the U.S. border.' (2; this was tweeted by Obama speechwriter Jon Favreau and subsequently deleted when he was informed of its provenance).

Then, of course, we have the Time cover of a crying young girl who was brutally separated from her family - by her mother, who abandoned her husband and three of her children in Honduras and paid $6,000 to a people smuggler to get her across the US border, presumably taking only the youngest of her children because she expected it to give her the best chance of claiming asylum.
  • Options

I thought you were going to talk abou Brexiteer infighting.
    Nah, that's the scuffle of the scoundrels. Remainer infighting is the clash of the curs.

It's important to keep these things clear,
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274

There's no way you can poll 60,000 people in a short space of time, no pollster has that capability.

And so is Carole.
  • Options
    Lovely goal from Portugal.
  • Options

At the time Isabel Oakeshott said it was 10,000.

https://twitter.com/isabeloakeshott/status/746421771830583296?s=21
  • Options

And so is Carole.
    Ben Page says it is possible but unlikely.

As for Carole, she's letting her views cloud her judgment.

Wake me up when Michael Crick starts running stories on this.

That's when Leavers should get worried.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,311

I still think it is possible for Trump in 2020 to lose the popular vote by an even larger margin than in 2016 and still win the Electoral College.

It’s theoretically possible, but highly unlikely.
  • Options
    surbysurby Posts: 1,227

'What made this particularly challenging for him were the TV pictures and sounds of the crying children on being taken away from their parents. It was a lot harder for the normal Trump response of “fake news”'

Not that much harder, though.

'In June 2018 social media users began circulating a heart-rending photograph depicting a sobbing toddler clutching the bars of a cage in which he is confined, usually accompanied by commentary stating that the image depicted a boy who had been detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) in 2018... the photograph was taken on 10 June 2018, but it did not show a child confined by immigration authorities to a cage. Rather, it was snapped during a protest staged in front of Dallas City Hall' (1)

'In May 2018, a photograph of two children sleeping inside a fenced enclosure was widely circulated via social media with accompanying text stating that it pictured a “kids’ concentration camp” in the U.S.... This photograph dates from 2014 (during the Obama administration) and was not directly related to a mid-2018 controversy over Trump administration policy of separating children from undocumented migrant parents at the U.S. border.' (2; this was tweeted by Obama speechwriter Jon Favreau and subsequently deleted when he was informed of its provenance).

Then, of course, we have the Time cover of a crying young girl who was brutally separated from her family - by her mother, who abandoned her husband and three of her children in Honduras and paid $6,000 to a people smuggler to get her across the US border, presumably taking only the youngest of her children because she expected it to give her the best chance of claiming asylum.

You have a heart of stone.
  • Options
    surbysurby Posts: 1,227
    HYUFD said:

I still think it is possible for Trump in 2020 to lose the popular vote by even larger margin than in 2016 and still win the Electoral College.

Ironically the reverse may be the case especially if Sanders is his opponent, in areas of California like Orange County that voted for Hillary but are normally GOP his approval rating is up to 50% while nationally it is down to 41%. It is possible Sanders could win Pennsylvania and enough upper Midwest and rustbelt states to narrowly win the Electoral College but narrowly lose the popular vote to Trump as some suburban independents and moderate Republicans in New York and California who voted for Hillary over Trump hold their nose and vote for Trump to keep out Sanders
    You think any Republican let alone Trump can will California or New York. I wouldn't even be so sure about Arizona or Texas.
  • Options
    edited June 2018

And so is Carole.
    Ben Page says it is possible but unlikely.

As for Carole, she's letting her views cloud her judgment.

Wake me up when Michael Crick starts running stories on this.

That's when Leavers should get worried.
    Michael has also been known to lose sense of perspective from time to time...I remember the infamous Crewe by-election where he had a conspiracy theory about the Tory doing something dodgy with canvasing data. And of course the Battle Bus story, he went way OTT on that, conflating all sorts of things in order to come with talk that so many results of seats could have been null and void that the GE2015 result could have been under threat.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    That Ronaldo - he's no Harry Kane......
  • Options
    Justice done. That was never a penalty.
  • Options
    Yer fecking what?

If you're from Manchester, Leeds or Sheffield, this professor thinks you're a southerner

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/youre-manchester-leeds-sheffield-professor-12778530
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,035
    Did I read that graphic of Ronaldo's penalties for Portugal as 8 scored and 5 now 6 missed ?

With a record like that he's allowed to take them ???
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    DavidL said:

Nailed on penalty, in my view.
  • Options
    The one thing the world cup has shown is that England doesn't have the worst referees in the world.
  • Options

The one thing the world cup has shown is that England doesn't have the worst referees in the world.

It has also shown you can score a Portuegese wonder goal and still be a total wanker......
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

The defender stepped across in front of him gaining possession and control of the ball. He is entitled to do that, even if the person with the ball is Ronaldo.
  • Options

It has also shown you can score a Portuegese wonder goal and still be a total wanker......
    I've known that since Ronaldo joined Manchester United in 2003.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,096

Well, let's not be in a Russia to judge them.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

The defender stepped across in front of him gaining possession and control of the ball. He is entitled to do that, even if the person with the ball is Ronaldo.
    The defender only had eyes for Ronaldo. He had no intention of gaining possession of the ball.
  • Options
    VAR, as useful as a chocolate fire guard.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    They really need a challenge system like cricket / tennis.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,242
    Wow
  • Options
    Spain really don't want to play Uruguay!
  • Options
    Spain vs Uruguay should be a tasty game.

That Moroccan who scored the brilliant own goal must now be feeling even sicker.
  • Options

VAR, as useful as a chocolate fire guard.

It's really spoiling this game. In fairness, this is the worst I have seen it.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    surby said:

HYUFD said:

You think any Republican let alone Trump can will California or New York. I wouldn't even be so sure about Arizona or Texas.
    No but if Trump won a million more votes in each of California and New York he could win the national popular vote even if the Democratic candidate still won both states comfortably.

Though of course Giuliani and Schwarzanneger and Pataki all won New York city, California or New York state at some point in the last 25 years for the Republicans
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,096
    Is it he or UKIP that's going Holmes?

(Sorry, miserable day at work.)
  • Options
    edited June 2018

LOL
    twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/1011313290306293762?s=21

The first two are totally predictable, but so much for Benjamin claims of being a classical liberal (as he argued when interviewed by Dave Rubin).
  • Options
    Ref is called by VAR on a possible red card incident. So how come he gets to give a yellow?
  • Options
    He probably has more face furniture than the entire remaining UKIP membership combined.....
  • Options
    Hillary Clinton trashes both populists and the Electoral College in Oxford speech

https://news.grabien.com/story-england-hillary-trashes-americas-electoral-college
  • Options

He probably has more face furniture than the entire remaining UKIP membership combined.....
    He's well set up for a jump start anyway.
  • Options
    VAR again....this is bloody stupid.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Hillary Clinton trashes both populists and the Electoral College in Oxford speech

https://news.grabien.com/story-england-hillary-trashes-americas-electoral-college

Bitter loser.
  • Options
    So its going to be Ronaldo vs Suarez now.
  • Options
    This is beyond farce. What utter nonsense.
  • Options
    edited June 2018

Yer fecking what?

If you're from Manchester, Leeds or Sheffield, this professor thinks you're a southerner

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/youre-manchester-leeds-sheffield-professor-12778530

My map is a northern area defined as ‘not London,’ where London’s sphere of influence extends over most of the country - determined by two-hour commuting patterns which is becoming the norm

...what was wrong with a geographic definition, albeit a fuzzy one?

Oh gods Iran, you were so close there.
  • Options
    Hands up who thinks VAR is a good idea ?
  • Options
    Oh my god how did he miss that...
  • Options

Must be one of the biggest misses in this World Cup.

I honestly thought he'd got it.
  • Options

Yer fecking what?

By the same logic, if you’re from south of the river you should count as a northerner.
  • Options

Puts hands up. There are counter examples where it has been utilised well at this very world cup, and handled quicker. The problems are related to operation, not the principle. For instance, the VAR officials are overly harsh on situations where someone heads a ball into someone else's arm which they couldn'tt possibly avoid, and when they call over the ref to review it the expectation is they should overturn.
  • Options

Hey, if it dumped Portugal out the cup.....
  • Options

The weird thing is that if this referee did not have VAR he might have had a decent game. He has got things right first time and then made truly perverse decisions looking at the replays.
  • Options

That Iranian tosser cost me wonga.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Puts hands up. There are counter examples where it has been utilised well at this very world cup, and handled quicker. The problems are related to operation, not the principle. For instance, the VAR officials are overly harsh on situations where someone heads a ball into someone else's arm which they couldn'tt possibly avoid, and when they call over the ref to review it the expectation is they should overturn.
    It has to be a challenge based system. The current rules are just chaos.
  • Options

kle4 said:

It has to be a challenge based system. The current rules are just chaos.
    Yes, they haven't sorted out the best approach prior to this world cup. But it can work, and does not seem beyond even the remedial wit of Fifa to figure it out.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The weird thing is that if this referee did not have VAR he might have had a decent game. He has got things right first time and then made truly perverse decisions looking at the replays.
    The ref has had a shocker. Don't they realise stuff ALWAYS looks worse on slow Mo ?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Wait until England go out to a crazy VAR decision before deciding!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

The ref has had a shocker. Don't they realise stuff ALWAYS looks worse on slow Mo ?
    2 penalties that weren't and a truly ridiculous booking for Ronaldo.
  • Options
    How have Spain got such a long unbeaten run with such a crap defence ?
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    edited June 2018
    HYUFD said:

surby said:

HYUFD said:

No but if Trump won a million more votes in each of California and New York he could win the national popular vote even if the Democratic candidate still won both states comfortably.

Though of course Giuliani and Schwarzanneger and Pataki all won New York city, California or New York state at some point in the last 25 years for the Republicans
    All three of those were quite moderate Republicans in their day, and might as well be Democrats by today's standards. And don't forget that Sanders or someone like him will bring the Jill Steiners etc back to the Dems, whilst not a few of the voters that they might drive away from the Dems would similarly go to other non-Trump parties like the Libertarians.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Looks like Javid is serious about the leadership.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Surprising. If anyone didn't realise he was a complete cu*t by now they must be without sentience
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

Scott_P said:
    Does not add up, why go to the amateur part of the leave campaign when the professionals are available.
  • Options
    Looks like something important NATO related to be announced wet Boris being in Afghanistan. Soubrys tweet hasn't aged well today.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Does not add up, why go to the amateur part of the leave campaign when the professionals are available.
    The professionals are toxic and have egos that would get in the way. By going for the young hired help with unimpeachable leave credentials he can wrap hope to wrap up the Brexiteer vote without compromising his own room for manoeuvre.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Vanilla acts very strangely on my PC using Windows 7. With Chrome it runs ragged, but does let me sign in.
    With Explorer it doesn't let me even do that.

Concerning Trump, let me just say that his face would look good on a three dollar bill.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,258

Scott_P said:
    Javid feels exposed because he heavily flirted as a eurosceptic prior to the referendum, and then backed Remain.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

Scott_P said:
    The professionals are toxic and have egos that would get in the way. By going for the young hired help with unimpeachable leave credentials he can wrap hope to wrap up the Brexiteer vote without compromising his own room for manoeuvre.
    Sorry, just wrong. Leave.EU was the dreggs of the leave campaign. Basically Banks and Farage with the support of Cash, Jenkin, Bone or the old dinosaurs. Vote Leave were the professionals and also stuffed full of Tory Spads, afterwards a few were appointed to the T May team. So they are much better connected to the Tory Party than anybody who worked for Leave.EU.
    Cummings is still involved with Boris and Gove.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Javid feels exposed because he heavily flirted as a eurosceptic prior to the referendum, and then backed Remain.
    He'll brainwash this young whipper-snapper into supporting his Brexit betrayal in no time. ;)
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited June 2018

That is a picture of Mark Meechan not Paul Joseph Watson. The latter has a lot more you tube followers than UKIP has voters these days.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    He'll brainwash this young whipper-snapper into supporting his Brexit betrayal in no time. ;)
    If he calls you, then I’ll be worried.
  • Options
    Put me in the camp of those pissed off about the Swansea Tidal Lagoon project.

I thought it was an extremely exciting new technology, with potential big wins for UK plc and pure energy security.

Yes, it’s unproven and a bit pricey upfront (what new tech isn’t?) but i think it was worthy of further work, and would help regenerate some of our more deprived/isolated regions as well.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478

I thought it was an extremely exciting new technology, with potential big wins for UK plc and pure energy security.

Yes, it’s unproven and a bit pricey upfront (what new tech isn’t?) but i think it was worthy of further work, and would help regenerate some of our more deprived/isolated regions as well.

Unusually, I completely agree with you. It's just crazy.
    Well, I guess we'll just have to content ourselves with HS2.
    And Brexit.
  • Options

I know very little about it but I think I agree.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    VAR is only for grown-ups. You can use it in rugby (both codes) but as Pablo says, in football, all you'll get is the children playing to the camera.

They don't understand that it still comes down to subjective decisions in some cases.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387

CR they wanted a strike price agreed for 90 years. 90 years! New nuclear only wants 35
  • Options
    Today's Tesco Strawberry score is a disappointing six:

Aberdeenshire
    Angus
    Staffordshire
    Herefordshire
    Surrey
    Kent

There seems to be a pattern of low scores at the start of the working week slowly increasing to a weekend peak.
  • Options

CR they wanted a strike price agreed for 90 years. 90 years! New nuclear only wants 35
    But wasn't it for a lot lower energy output ?
This discussion has been closed.