Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The second favourite in the WH2020 betting, Kamala Harris, say

124»

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Foxy said:

England vs Belgium,

After you, no after you,

I don't think there's any team there that we need be scared of.

The only thing we have to fear ... is fear itself.
    I don't think any of those are easy matches, but prefer the top stream. 538's predictor is updated and hS Brazil in pole position with Spain close behind. It is an open contest but I think Spain looks most likely, though wouldn't rule out Portugal.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2018-world-cup-predictions/
    This graphic is way ahead of itself, Brazil haven't looked that great to me and I wouldn't rule an upset from Serbia if they played like they did in the first half against the Swiss.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited June 2018
    Foxy said:

England vs Belgium,

After you, no after you,

I don't think any of those are easy matches, but prefer the top stream. 538's predictor is updated and hS Brazil in pole position with Spain close behind. It is an open contest but I think Spain looks most likely, though wouldn't rule out Portugal.

Argentina have all but been ruled out, but if they win tomorrow against a Nigeria team who are very weak, they probably get through and who knows. They have been utter shit, but can Messi and co continue to be that bad every game?

Although the quality of teams is not as good as 2014, still a very exciting world cup because it really is incredibly unpredictable. Nobody looks stellar.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Scott_P said:

Which team will you be most embarrassed by knocking England out?
    It would be good if England do go out , it is beaten by a better team .

No hand of God.
    No penalty shoot outs.
    No goals disallowed wrongly.
    No unfair sending off.

The only luck in tight world cup games in the knock out stages , I have seen.Is when England won it in 1966. All the times I have seen the third English goal against Germany.

I can not honestly say it was over the line.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Foxy said:

England vs Belgium,

After you, no after you,

I hope Ronaldo wins it.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    HYUFD said:

From this morning’s Red Box email.

Having once claimed that being health secretary was "likely to be my last big job in politics", Hunt has his eye on a bigger prize.

During this summer drinks season, his is the name that I have heard most as a possible, plausible leader. And he sparks the least angry reaction from non-fans – "I couldn't stay in the party led by X", is a regular refrain after the second glass of fizz.

Johnson has only added to his detractors, while Gavin Williamson is trying to play Hunt's game with defence spending with rather less subtlety.

Except Hunt is not even in the top 5 of Conservative Home's next Tory leader Tory members poll and he has the second worst yougov rating for a Cabinet Minister after Gove
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Dangerous precedent being set by the Gov't in not sacking Boris here.

Let's face it: the government is in free fall and Theresa's authority is shot. The likes of Boris are just waiting for a cliff-drop Brexit so they can blame the Remainers and the EU for the ensuing economic collapse. It's all about personal ambition now. The UK is just a tool for the Leavers' personal advancement. It's sadly astonishing that people can hold their own country in that much contempt.
    Surely Tory MPs will have more self respect than to back Boris' future leadership ambitions !
    It'll be interesting to see who supports him when the contest comes round, far more diginity in death supporting Gove if you want a true beLeaver I think.
    Corbyn would easily beat Gove on current polls and Gove knows that which is why he will likely back Boris who polls better
    Are not polls created by "experts"? I'm sure Gove said everyone was tired of listening to experts..
    Gove is currently on -66% with Yougov.

Boris is on -34%

https://yougov.co.uk/opi/browse/Michael_Gove

https://yougov.co.uk/opi/browse/Boris_Johnson
    I think you pay too much attention to the numbers. The narrative is just as important if not more so. Gove was truly dreadful in education - but I think he learnt lessons. And he had a bad Brexit campaign. But he can pull together a good story and has some decent albeit idiosyncratic presentation skills. He could come up with a good story, and unlike Johnson quite a positive and hopeful one. I'd say the Tories could do a lot worse.
  • Options
    xyzxyzxyzxyzxyzxyz Posts: 37
    Long read from the globalist Bloomberg corporate media insinuating that nativist Nigel Farage was in cahoots with hedge funds when he conceded on the night of the Brexit vote.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-06-25/brexit-big-short-how-pollsters-helped-hedge-funds-beat-the-crash
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632
    I think @TSE has convinced me that the Prime Minister is just as much of a shit as the Foreign Secretary.
  • Options
    The decision was approved to build in 2009,

And we've still not got a spade in sight..
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    That was 3 general elections and 2 election addresses ago
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Having once claimed that being health secretary was "likely to be my last big job in politics", Hunt has his eye on a bigger prize.

During this summer drinks season, his is the name that I have heard most as a possible, plausible leader. And he sparks the least angry reaction from non-fans – "I couldn't stay in the party led by X", is a regular refrain after the second glass of fizz.

Johnson has only added to his detractors, while Gavin Williamson is trying to play Hunt's game with defence spending with rather less subtlety.

Except Hunt is not even in the top 5 of Conservative Home's next Tory leader Tory members poll and he has the second worst yougov rating for a Cabinet Minister after Gove
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Let's face it: the government is in free fall and Theresa's authority is shot. The likes of Boris are just waiting for a cliff-drop Brexit so they can blame the Remainers and the EU for the ensuing economic collapse. It's all about personal ambition now. The UK is just a tool for the Leavers' personal advancement. It's sadly astonishing that people can hold their own country in that much contempt.
    Surely Tory MPs will have more self respect than to back Boris' future leadership ambitions !
    It'll be interesting to see who supports him when the contest comes round, far more diginity in death supporting Gove if you want a true beLeaver I think.
    Corbyn would easily beat Gove on current polls and Gove knows that which is why he will likely back Boris who polls better
    Are not polls created by "experts"? I'm sure Gove said everyone was tired of listening to experts..

Boris is on -34%

I think you pay too much attention to the numbers. The narrative is just as important if not more so. Gove was truly dreadful in education - but I think he learnt lessons. And he had a bad Brexit campaign. But he can pull together a good story and has some decent albeit idiosyncratic presentation skills. He could come up with a good story, and unlike Johnson quite a positive and hopeful one. I'd say the Tories could do a lot worse.
    If his polling numbers approve maybe, until then he is toxic
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Boris is on -34%

Gove was truly dreadful in education -
    LOL.

He upset the teachers - spoiler - education isn't about them.
  • Options
    edited June 2018

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

£50 at evens that Gove doesn't endorse/back Boris in the next Tory leadership contest.
    As you know I never normally bet and I am not doing any more bets with you, I come here for political discussion not to bet but if people come here mainly for betting fine that is up to them.

OT If Gove does not endorse Boris he will likely endorse Javid but he will demand a big post like Chancellor with either
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Do we still not know where Boris is travelling?

An embarrassing farce.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Scott_P said:

None of them would be as embarrassing as Iceland.

If England do go out, it'll be the manner of defeat that makes for embarrassment, or not.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Boris is on -34%

Is there any polls for Gove vs Corbyn - given a fixed choice I'd be amazed if JC would poll higher than MG in a GE.
    I would be amazed if he didn't
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

An embarrassing farce.

Is it not more embarrassing that our nations media twitters are focusing on this rather than "Is LHR a good idea " ?

The level of debate is utterly infantile.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285

An embarrassing farce.

It would be quite ironic if he sat on a plane in the stack above Heathrow....
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

RexZogIV said:

I've been putting bets on Harris since March 2017.

It became pretty clear early on that the Democrats were going to go for the 'diversity' candidate and hope that the demographic change and a charged-up base would deliver the presidency to the Democrats.

I'm not so sure, to be honest. Trump could possibly win Minnesota in '20, he came within 45,000 votes of winning it in '16. Ditto New Hampshire, Colorado and even Nevada...

Latest Democratic primary poll including Harris has Biden 27% Sanders 14% Harris 4%

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_Party_presidential_primaries,_2020
    Yeah, but 3 years out who predicted Trump, or Obama, or Bill Clinton etc?

It is a bit too early for anything more than token bets. Sanders and Biden are too old, and are yesterdays men. They will not run, and if they do they will not win. Their endorsement may be important too.
    None were facing an incumbent president and both Sanders and Biden will likely run
  • Options
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,043
    TGOHF said:

An embarrassing farce.

Is it not more embarrassing that our nations media twitters are focusing on this rather than "Is LHR a good idea " ?

The level of debate is utterly infantile.

Boris wants to be PM. Instead of being brave and standing up for his oft-stated views, he's seen as running away and avoiding a decision. It doesn't bode well for how he'd perform as PM. So it is an important story.

It's got more than a few echoes of Brown's various ditherings...
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,307
    I blame Brexit for Boris's current Heathrow travails. If the Leavers - Rees-Mogg in particular - hadn't spouted all this 'Your constituency voted Leave therefore you're absolutely bound by their will' stuff, then Boris could just declare national interest and cabinet responsibility and be done with. The Leavers have denied him that perfectly acceptable option.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Yorkcity said:

Scott_P said:

It would be good if England do go out , it is beaten by a better team .

No hand of God.
    No penalty shoot outs.
    No goals disallowed wrongly.
    No unfair sending off.

The only luck in tight world cup games in the knock out stages , I have seen.Is when England won it in 1966. All the times I have seen the third English goal against Germany.

I can not honestly say it was over the line.
    Now have a look at the second German goal and tell us whether it should have been disallowed for offside.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632
    It can't be too often that two of the office holders of the Great Offices of State are paired for a parliamentary vote!
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,043
    Scott_P said:
    "Type approval describes the process applied by national authorities to certify that a model of a vehicle meets all EU safety, environmental and conformity of production requirements before authorising it to be placed on the EU market.

The manufacturer makes available about a dozen or more pre-production cars that are equal to the final product. These prototypes are used to test compliance with EU safety rules (installation of lights, braking performance, stability control, crash tests with dummies), noise and emissions limits as well as production requirements (of individual parts and components, such as seats or steering wheel airbags). If all relevant requirements are met, the national authority delivers an EU vehicle type approval to the manufacturer authorising the sale of the vehicle type in the EU. The system is based on the mutual recognition of approvals granted by Member States (certified once, accepted everywhere in the EU).

Every vehicle produced is then accompanied by a certificate of conformity, which is like the car's birth certificate, in which the manufacturer certifies that the vehicle corresponds to the approved type. On the basis of this document, the vehicle can be registered anywhere in Europe."

http://ec.europa.eu/growth/sectors/automotive/technical-harmonisation/faq-auto_en

This might well be bad news for the UK. On the other hand, dieselgate and other events indicate that type approval is little more than a pointless rubber-stamping exercise.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,487

NEW THREAD

• Options
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    Scott_P said:
    Their "rules for car manufacturing" allowed the Germans to poison us all by concocting results on emission standard tests, right?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

RexZogIV said:

I've been putting bets on Harris since March 2017.

It became pretty clear early on that the Democrats were going to go for the 'diversity' candidate and hope that the demographic change and a charged-up base would deliver the presidency to the Democrats.

I'm not so sure, to be honest. Trump could possibly win Minnesota in '20, he came within 45,000 votes of winning it in '16. Ditto New Hampshire, Colorado and even Nevada...

Latest Democratic primary poll including Harris has Biden 27% Sanders 14% Harris 4%

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_Party_presidential_primaries,_2020
    Yeah, but 3 years out who predicted Trump, or Obama, or Bill Clinton etc?

It is a bit too early for anything more than token bets. Sanders and Biden are too old, and are yesterdays men. They will not run, and if they do they will not win. Their endorsement may be important too.
    None were facing an incumbent president and both Sanders and Biden will likely run
    Or at least not an incumbent president after only 1 term of his party in the White House
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    But But But

They need us more than ..........

Apparently
  • Options
    surbysurby Posts: 1,227
    https://www.ft.com/content/dfafc806-762d-11e8-a8c4-408cfba4327c

Even Prof. Minford agrees there has been 1.2% of GDP cost so far.
  • Options
    surbysurby Posts: 1,227

Scott_P said:
    Their "rules for car manufacturing" allowed the Germans to poison us all by concocting results on emission standard tests, right?
    You can say whatever you like. We will be OUT and they are free to write whatever they like.

Take it or leave it.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,004
    That demonstrates a shocking lack of apprecuation of the subjunctive mood from Spreadsheet Phil. I thought he was the clever one.
This discussion has been closed.