Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If there was a CON leadership contest tomorrow my money would

Comments

• Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:
    "In the longer run, the government has accepted that the economy will be smaller and and tax revenues will be lower as a result of Brexit."

Earlier this year, Chancellor Phillip Hammond warned that public spending could not increase because Britain's economy was suffering due to uncertainty over Brexit."
    https://news.sky.com/story/theresa-may-under-pressure-to-explain-20bn-nhs-funding-plan-11408253
    Yeh, and Hammond has been overruled by May, who has come down on Hunt on this one.

I suppose Hammond could resign, or more likely he will find some fudge in the numbers in the autumn.
    Surely the way to square the circle is for allowance thresholds to remain static ?
    Fiscal drag then just does some of the lifting.
    .. but not enough.
    How about some welfare reform, that'll cost a bomb for about a decade Oh, wait.
    Hopefully you understand what you wrote, because I don't.
    The money to fund the NHS has to come from somewhere, freezing thresholds won't do it
    I'm agreeing. The largest slice of the spending pie is welfare of various forms, but I note the Tories have made a pig's ear of trying to reduce spend on that with the Universal Credit shambles.
    Past threshold freezing I don't see any more easy wins, even making NI fairer was ran away from by Hammond/May.
    A LOT of money is needed for NHS/Social Care. Taxes and Trident are two possibilities, more austerity probably not.
    The Conservatives will never lower spending on trident, it is #1 hobby horse.
    You're probably right.
    How about a Referendum ;-) on Money to Trident vs NHS?
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:
    "In the longer run, the government has accepted that the economy will be smaller and and tax revenues will be lower as a result of Brexit."

Earlier this year, Chancellor Phillip Hammond warned that public spending could not increase because Britain's economy was suffering due to uncertainty over Brexit."
    https://news.sky.com/story/theresa-may-under-pressure-to-explain-20bn-nhs-funding-plan-11408253
    Yeh, and Hammond has been overruled by May, who has come down on Hunt on this one.

I suppose Hammond could resign, or more likely he will find some fudge in the numbers in the autumn.
    Surely the way to square the circle is for allowance thresholds to remain static ?
    .. but not enough.
    The money to fund the NHS has to come from somewhere, freezing thresholds won't do it
    I'm agreeing. The largest slice of the spending pie is welfare of various forms, but I note the Tories have made a pig's ear of trying to reduce spend on that with the Universal Credit shambles.
    Past threshold freezing I don't see any more easy wins, even making NI fairer was ran away from by Hammond/May.
    The Tories could put VAt upto 30%.They have always increased that when needed.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

On topic, Mike is right.

On topic - David is right
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

Pulpstar said:

Clegg pandering to xenophobia and racism. Apparently.

https://twitter.com/supermathskid/status/1008301071016644608

There’s a small part of Nick Clegg that gets it, unlike many of his fellow Remain co-travellers he is both perceptive and intelligent. He has also said the EU needs to become much more comfortable with national identity, which even Donald Tusk flirted with recently wrt. Serbia’s accession talks.

However, these are just words and are too little, too late. The EU could sink Brexit by removing a few of its federalist symbols with respect to the UK, and some sensible caveats/limits on free movement but it is unable or unwilling to see it, and just as theological about its “Project” as Nigel Farage is about total independence.
    The EU is not trusted by the UK electorate, certainly not after the negotiations on Brexit, but probably never was trusted. Cameron did not even get a vague offer from the EU about freedom of movement. Blair got a vague offer about changes to the CAP in return for increased contributions by the UK to the EU. The CAP changes never happened.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

.. but not enough.
    A LOT of money is needed for NHS/Social Care. Taxes and Trident are two possibilities, more austerity probably not.
    The annual cost of Trident is pretty trivial compared with the size of the NHS budget and if scrapped would in any case almost certainly be spent on conventional forces. but it'd be a stupid decision.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

.. but not enough.
    You're probably right.

How about a referendum on the basic rate of income tax?

A binary question - up 5% or down 5%.

Which would win?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited June 2018
    Jezfest - Too white, too middle class and all a bit shit...says the Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jun/18/jeremy-corbyn-tories-little-fear-jezfest-labour-live
  • Options

The difficulty with betting on the next Conservative leader is knowing if the MPs and then the Conservative members who make the choice will vote for the person they prefer or vote for the person they think the electorate prefer.

Gove is popular with members but not so much with the electorate. Rees-Mogg and Javid would be a gamble as regards public popularity. Javid more likely to gain popularity in the longer term.

Johnson has good recognition in public and can demonstrate his success being elected in a Labour heartland as London major.

Hunt likely to be seen as too managerial and Davidson as too whacky.

Leadsom and Raab too anonymous.

We should not forget though that it is the members who will decide from the final two on the MPs short list - not the public.

The membership will generally go with the safe public choice, as long as it doesn't cross any red lines. Clarke, in 2001, crossed a red line with his views on the Euro. However, in 2005, Cameron was the clear choice over the right-wing candidate; and in 2016, the polling had May beating Leadsom (and anyone else, IIRC), even before Leadsom's campaign's implosion.

The thing we know about Boris is that he is a good campaigner - energetic and shameless. If given the chance to campaign among the membership, he could do well. However, to get there he needs support among MPs and whether he's a good campaigner among MPs, where a different skillset is required, is another matter. They will not be fobbed off by bland optimism and long words after the experience of his time at the FO.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

.. but not enough.
    The annual cost of Trident is pretty trivial compared with the size of the NHS budget and if scrapped would in any case almost certainly be spent on conventional forces. but it'd be a stupid decision.
    About £2billion/year apparently, so not enough on its own to fund the proposed increase. So higher taxes and bye bye Triple Lock?
    Could save a bit by cancelling Brexit too.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,679
    Scott_P said:
    “very grumpy looking Hammond”

How could they tell?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Roger said:

OT. Who'd have guessed. Melania's got a mouth

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44515123

Interesting thread from a medieval historian on using the king's wife to appeal for mercy and how that pattern fits in here:

https://twitter.com/Sonja_Drimmer/status/1008441986863464448
    Lady Godiva is a cutting edge role model for Melania Trump.
  • Options
    Older people use the NHS and Social Care more than younger people.

So it could be argued that it is only fair to change the triple lock and just increase pensions in line with CPI for the next ten years.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

stodge said:

Morning all :)

30 races at Royal Ascot and a World Cup to bet on and some are obsessing about a contest in which we don't know the runners and riders yet.

So, moving massively OFF topic to something of more interest - England have three "styles" of World Cup campaign - the confident start which promises miracles and fades to nothing, the poor start which suddenly blossoms into a couple of world class performances before reality intrudes or the poor start which never gets going and it's an early flight home.

I don't know - I just can't see that squad producing two or three world class performances to get beyond the QF stage - they could do it once and just conceivably twice.

As for the most important sporting event of the week by a country mile, it's off to Berkshire and I don't know if Ascot racecourse is in Theresa May's constituency (HYUFD might be able to help me out) but HMQ will of course be present.

My Day 1 selections for the big races are:

2.30: LIGHTNING SPEAR (e/w)
    3.45: LADY AURELIA
    4.20: US NAVY FLAG (e/w)

Have a successful betting week all whatever markets you're playing.

The starts for England ,which was successfully were a draw 1966 winners and 1990 , semi finals..

They did get to the quarter finals in 1986 , after a defeat in the first match.

However the missed opportunity was in 1982 , when they started with a 3-1 win against France.
    Never lost a game .
    However went out , as it was a different format.
    1970 was also a massive missed opportunity. 2-0 vs W Germany in a QF with 25 minutes to go.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

.. but not enough.
    You're probably right.

How about a referendum on the basic rate of income tax?

A binary question - up 5% or down 5%.

Which would win?
    This is one reason why I'm seriously against referenda (my previous suggestion was a joke, of course).
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311

The difficulty with betting on the next Conservative leader is knowing if the MPs and then the Conservative members who make the choice will vote for the person they prefer or vote for the person they think the electorate prefer.

Gove is popular with members but not so much with the electorate. Rees-Mogg and Javid would be a gamble as regards public popularity. Javid more likely to gain popularity in the longer term.

Johnson has good recognition in public and can demonstrate his success being elected in a Labour heartland as London major.

Hunt likely to be seen as too managerial and Davidson as too whacky.

Leadsom and Raab too anonymous.

We should not forget though that it is the members who will decide from the final two on the MPs short list - not the public.

To be fair to both Hunt and Javid relatively unknown Cameron came through the Pack to get elected leader in 2005
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,022

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jun/18/jeremy-corbyn-tories-little-fear-jezfest-labour-live

Nah, the Guardian is wrong and should immediately be shunned by all left-minded thinkers.

After all, we've been told the event was 'actually pretty successful' ;)
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

The fact is that with a growing and ageing population there are a whole series of strains on public spending. The growth in public spending since 2010 has been exceptionally small in real terms, well below the long term average. This has inevitably increased pressures on a whole range of areas from Health, education, infrastructure, transport, defence and, of course, public sector wages. What it has not done, regrettably, is eliminate the horrific deficit that was built up during the recession.

One of the main reasons for this is that growth has been modest, not just here but throughout the developed world. Taxes have been increased, especially on the better off, but we simply cannot afford what we are spending right now.

It seems to me that we have some difficult choices. Either we look to radically reshape public sector services or we find additional sources of income. In my view income is already highly taxed in this country, capital and wealth are not. It seems inevitable that we will need to have people pay for their personal care, even posthumously, from their capital. In short we need a dementia style tax back, albeit one that applies a lot more generally than the idiotic nonsense in the Tory Manifesto. I really don't see a credible alternative.

• Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Lower the benefit cap, raise income tax by a penny, tax capital gains as income. That'd bring in a decent amount.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Putting NI back on retired people's income would raise a fair bit of cash as well. I also expect the lifetime cap on pension funds to be lowered to raise more money.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Freggles said:

Lower the benefit cap, raise income tax by a penny, tax capital gains as income. That'd bring in a decent amount.

the problem with Capital gains is all the reliefs which are present with it, not so much the headline rate. Without wholescale reform of those, then thats a very dangerous thing to say in isolation.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited June 2018
    DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

England are like they are from Carthage.

Massively overated team that occasionally gets lucky but when they finally face decent opposition they have their testicles handed to them.

Bring back Sven.

Who gets sacked first?

Jones or Southgate?
    Oh Jones, no question. Southgate has already rather cleverly positioned himself as building towards the future so even an extremely modest WC should not prove fatal this time around. Jones, on the other hand, is reaping some of the arrogance that he sewed.
    Listening to Radio Daily Mirror this morning all the journos have been glowing about Southgate and his dealing with them and the players. Perhaps the government need to employ him to learn how to do decent PR.

A few years ago, myself and Mrs Urquhart found ourselves holidaying at the same small resort as the Southgate family. I have to say he came across as a really nice family guy. I can't say that of many other professional footballers I have met in the past.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

England are like they are from Carthage.

Massively overated team that occasionally gets lucky but when they finally face decent opposition they have their testicles handed to them.

Bring back Sven.

Who gets sacked first?

Jones or Southgate?
    Oh Jones, no question. Southgate has already rather cleverly positioned himself as building towards the future so even an extremely modest WC should not prove fatal this time around. Jones, on the other hand, is reaping some of the arrogance that he sewed.
    Listening to Radio Daily Mirror this morning all the journos have been glowing about Southgate and his dealing with them and the players. Perhaps the government need to employ him to learn how to do decent PR.

A few years ago, myself and Mrs Urquhart found ourselves holidaying at the same small resort as the Southgate family. I have to say he came across as a really nice family guy. I can't say that of many other professional footballers I have met in the past.
    Southgate of course has been the first England Manager to actually go through the process of playing for England at a tournament, and infamously has first hand experience of losing on penalties.

I'm sure he knows how much that hurts and what it can do to you, and I'm sure he's preparing and supporting his players well on that front.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,239

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

.. but not enough.
    About £2billion/year apparently, so not enough on its own to fund the proposed increase. So higher taxes and bye bye Triple Lock?
    Could save a bit by cancelling Brexit too.
    Borrowing more here we come.
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

stodge said:

Morning all :)

30 races at Royal Ascot and a World Cup to bet on and some are obsessing about a contest in which we don't know the runners and riders yet.

So, moving massively OFF topic to something of more interest - England have three "styles" of World Cup campaign - the confident start which promises miracles and fades to nothing, the poor start which suddenly blossoms into a couple of world class performances before reality intrudes or the poor start which never gets going and it's an early flight home.

I don't know - I just can't see that squad producing two or three world class performances to get beyond the QF stage - they could do it once and just conceivably twice.

As for the most important sporting event of the week by a country mile, it's off to Berkshire and I don't know if Ascot racecourse is in Theresa May's constituency (HYUFD might be able to help me out) but HMQ will of course be present.

My Day 1 selections for the big races are:

2.30: LIGHTNING SPEAR (e/w)
    3.45: LADY AURELIA
    4.20: US NAVY FLAG (e/w)

Have a successful betting week all whatever markets you're playing.

The starts for England ,which was successfully were a draw 1966 winners and 1990 , semi finals..

They did get to the quarter finals in 1986 , after a defeat in the first match.

However the missed opportunity was in 1982 , when they started with a 3-1 win against France.
    Never lost a game .
    However went out , as it was a different format.
    1970 was also a massive missed opportunity. 2-0 vs W Germany in a QF with 25 minutes to go.
    Very true David.They should have won that.

After that defeat England failed to qualify in 1974 and 1978.

Italy and Holland will be able to understand that feeling at this world cup.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Putting NI back on retired people's income would raise a fair bit of cash as well. I also expect the lifetime cap on pension funds to be lowered to raise more money.

The increasingly ridiculous and unfair tax advantages for pension inputs by higher rate tax payers needs looking at.

But it won't be by a Tory government.
  • Options

Freggles said:

the problem with Capital gains is all the reliefs which are present with it, not so much the headline rate. Without wholescale reform of those, then thats a very dangerous thing to say in isolation.
    Normally reliefs are present to drive a desired behaviour such as investment in green technology.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,355

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

.. but not enough.
    I actually reckon a lot of it would go back into the general pool of the Treasury for popular tax and spending pledges.

I would feel vulnerable without Trident and hope that never happens.
  • Options
    One aspect of May announcing more cash for NHS has been to force a public debate, well at least in the media, about where the money will come from.

I humbly suggest this is dangerous territory for Labour.
  • Options

Nah, the Guardian is wrong and should immediately be shunned by all left-minded thinkers.

Why did you not go ?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Clegg pandering to xenophobia and racism. Apparently.

https://twitter.com/supermathskid/status/1008301071016644608

There’s a small part of Nick Clegg that gets it, unlike many of his fellow Remain co-travellers he is both perceptive and intelligent. He has also said the EU needs to become much more comfortable with national identity, which even Donald Tusk flirted with recently wrt. Serbia’s accession talks.

However, these are just words and are too little, too late. The EU could sink Brexit by removing a few of its federalist symbols with respect to the UK, and some sensible caveats/limits on free movement but it is unable or unwilling to see it, and just as theological about its “Project” as Nigel Farage is about total independence.
    The EU is not trusted by the UK electorate, certainly not after the negotiations on Brexit, but probably never was trusted. Cameron did not even get a vague offer from the EU about freedom of movement. Blair got a vague offer about changes to the CAP in return for increased contributions by the UK to the EU. The CAP changes never happened.
    Nope. It’s all the fault of our right wing newspapers and one wing of the Conservative Party. The EU have absolutely nothing whatever to do with it.

Apparently.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    James_C said:

Why the assumption that a Tory leadership contest would go to the membership? Two or three months of caretaker leadership, in a time like this? The number two is likely to drop out as Leadsom did.

There is certainly an ongoing effort to make Tories look cuddly (all those zillions "for the NHS", the May vow to end the upskirting menace, pragmatism over cannabis to save a young life in Northern Ireland), so I think a general election can't be far off. For that, a new leader will surely be needed.

As for Javid lifting the cap on immigration "to help the NHS", that may have played well in focus groups because it's got the word "NHS" in it, but I think people pull their punches on immigration in focus groups just as much as in opinion polls. This one's not a votewinner for the Tories or a reputation builder for Javid. Not outside SW1 it isn't. Increased immigration, spun as to help the NHS? C'mon.

I think members would rightly be hacked off if after 15 years waiting for the next leadership contest it didn't go to the membership. All that tedious pounding the streets, attending events and buying goddam raffle tickets does deserves some occasional payback.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The key for the Tories is to find someone who dors not keep the current Labour voting coalition together. Gove will, Johnson will, Hunt will, Rees Mogg will. Javid is unknown, so might not. Better, though, would be to find a newer face. But that would require May to bring a few into the Cabinet, which means firing some people. And she is in too weak a position to do that.

Johnson twice built a coalition to beat Ken Livingstone in London even if the left hated him and the UK as a whole is more Tory and pro Brexit than London

Things have changed a bit since 2012. Johnson does not help the Tories win the seats from Labour they need for a majority because he keeps the current Labour voting coalition together.

I could see a Johnson led Tories winning Peterborough, Barrow, Dudley North, Newcastle under Lyme, Crewe and Nantwich, Kensington etc ie enough Labour seats with small majorities (which mostly voted Leave) for a small Tory majority
    Three of those Labour MPs are likely to enjoy a first term incumbency bonus next time.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Why did you not go ?
    I arrived home on Friday after four days camping, and was washing my tent. ;)

Otherwise I'd have been first in the queue to buy reasonably-priced goods and listen to words of infinite wisdom amidst great music by well-known acts.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

The increasingly ridiculous and unfair tax advantages for pension inputs by higher rate tax payers needs looking at.

On the other hand, people aren't saving anywhere near enough for pensions, If you don't provide a good reason for people do, they'll be even less inclined.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

On the other hand, people aren't saving anywhere near enough for pensions, If you don't provide a good reason for people do, they'll be even less inclined.
    I don't have numbers. But I suspect that the vast majority of those who are not saving enough are in the standard tax bracket.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The key for the Tories is to find someone who dors not keep the current Labour voting coalition together. Gove will, Johnson will, Hunt will, Rees Mogg will. Javid is unknown, so might not. Better, though, would be to find a newer face. But that would require May to bring a few into the Cabinet, which means firing some people. And she is in too weak a position to do that.

Johnson twice built a coalition to beat Ken Livingstone in London even if the left hated him and the UK as a whole is more Tory and pro Brexit than London

Things have changed a bit since 2012. Johnson does not help the Tories win the seats from Labour they need for a majority because he keeps the current Labour voting coalition together.

I could see a Johnson led Tories winning Peterborough, Barrrow, Dudley North, Newcastle under Lyme, Crewe and Nantwich, Kensington etc ie enough Labour seats with small majorities (which mostly voted Leave) for a small Tory majority
    If you are using the last election as a baseline then you have to factor in that no-one expected Labour to win so Corbyn and the fantasy manifesto were not critically analysed, and Labour were a safe repository for protest votes. On the other side, May drove people to oppose by saying she wanted a huge majority to push through Brexit, a great way to recruit Lib Dems to Labour, and then she shot herself in the foot with the manifesto, and her performances. The whole 'strategy' drove probably 20- 30 seats to Labour.
    I doubt that . By the final week of the campaign quite a few polls were suggesting the serious possibility of a Hung Parliament - and that was before taking account of the Tory surge in Scotland which rather implied a weaker relative performance in England & Wales than indicated by the national headline figures.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

I don't have numbers. But I suspect that the vast majority of those who are not saving enough are in the standard tax bracket.
    Yes thats true ;)

But also on the other hand, if you restrict higher-rate relief then employees will just do a salarly sac on their income for Employers to make the contribution. That might not work out well for the chancellor if more people do this.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I could see a Johnson led Tories winning Peterborough, Barrow, Dudley North, Newcastle under Lyme, Crewe and Nantwich, Kensington etc ie enough Labour seats with small majorities (which mostly voted Leave) for a small Tory majority
    Three of those Labour MPs are likely to enjoy a first term incumbency bonus next time.
    I think @Southam's point about Johnson motivating the Lab vote is a pretty good one. Uber-posho, let's not say r*cist, but let's say loose with his mouth, exemplifying everything even fairly "rightish" Lab supporters dislike if not detest, totally nullifying Jezza's many faux pas.

In short a battle cry for Labour.
  • Options

One aspect of May announcing more cash for NHS has been to force a public debate, well at least in the media, about where the money will come from.

I agree. While the specifics are bad for the government in this case, the establishment of a practice where the funding of spending commitments are routinely questioned and 'the magic money tree' is referenced by journalists is worse for Labour.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Herdson,

"1970 was also a massive missed opportunity. 2-0 vs W Germany in a QF with 25 minutes to go."

You're now reminded of the true horror of that day. It's took me about five years to forget all about it, now it's come back in technicolour. Thanks for nothing.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,008
    TOPPING said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I think @Southam's point about Johnson motivating the Lab vote is a pretty good one. Uber-posho, let's not say r*cist, but let's say loose with his mouth, exemplifying everything even fairly "rightish" Lab supporters dislike if not detest, totally nullifying Jezza's many faux pas.

So what most of those voters would never vote Tory anyway, it is the small segment of working class Labour Leave voters in marginal provincial Labour Leave seats Boris would be focused on
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071

The EU is not trusted by the UK electorate, certainly not after the negotiations on Brexit, but probably never was trusted.

This is nothing but projection and flies in the face of the polling evidence since the referendum.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    TOPPING said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

And I imagine that 2 such polarising figures would make it very difficult for any of the smaller parties to get a look-in. I'd much rather the Tories go for someone who doesn't fire up either their own or the opposition activists, er Hammond for leader?
  • Options

I agree. While the specifics are bad for the government in this case, the establishment of a practice where the funding of spending commitments are routinely questioned and 'the magic money tree' is referenced by journalists is worse for Labour.
    :+1: Exactly.

The Standard cartoon being one example.
  • Options
    Indeed, if memory serves me, Labour got the easiest ride ever from journos about their manifesto spending plans, at last GE.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Even so there are 15 Labour marginal seats with majorities under 1000 the Tories are targeting, 12 of which voted Leave and all of which will be vulnerable even with incumbency.

The Tories need 8 of those for an overall majority
    http://www.electionpolling.co.uk/battleground/targets/conservative
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

MaxPB said:

Yes thats true ;)

But also on the other hand, if you restrict higher-rate relief then employees will just do a salarly sac on their income for Employers to make the contribution. That might not work out well for the chancellor if more people do this.
    Surely everyone (Aside from gilt edged public sector employees) salary sacs anyway, it's efficient at the basic rate too due to the NI savings (And also reduces student loan repayments, which will be a real saving for many going forward)
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

TOPPING said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

And I imagine that 2 such polarising figures would make it very difficult for any of the smaller parties to get a look-in. I'd much rather the Tories go for someone who doesn't fire up either their own or the opposition activists, er Hammond for leader?
    May without the charisma and sparkling wit.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    TOPPING said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That was true in London too, though. Voters in the middle might be put off by a response from Labour members that was seen as being over the top.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

So what most of those voters would never vote Tory anyway, it is the small segment of working class Labour Leave voters in marginal provincial Labour Leave seats Boris would be focused on
    I believe there is a greyer area than you imagine. You keep citing 1992 rather than 1997 and I continue to believe that 1997 rather than 1992 is a better idea of where we are with peoples' attitudes to the Cons, certainly by 2022. They have done plenty to retoxify themselves not only to working class Leave voters, but to middle class Cons voters, to say nothing of that huge grey area in between; there is a sense that they are tired, worn out, exhausted.

Putting Boris at the helm in 2020 will simply signal to a large number of people that they are falling back to their, xenophobic, racist, class-ridden, tin-eared nasty roots.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Yes thats true ;)

Presumably that could be stopped.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Yes thats true ;)

Surely everyone (Aside from gilt edged public sector employees) salary sacs anyway, it's efficient at the basic rate too due to the NI savings (And also reduces student loan repayments, which will be a real saving for many going forward)
    Why is there this loophole in our system?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Yes thats true ;)

Us poor self employed are not able to get up to such shenanigans. :-)
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

Why did you not go ?

Otherwise I'd have been first in the queue to buy reasonably-priced goods and listen to words of infinite wisdom amidst great music by well-known acts.
    Well I hope you are cheering on England this evening, and singing , World in motion.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I believe there is a greyer area than you imagine. You keep citing 1992 rather than 1997 and I continue to believe that 1997 rather than 1992 is a better idea of where we are with peoples' attitudes to the Cons, certainly by 2022. They have done plenty to retoxify themselves not only to working class Leave voters, but to middle class Cons voters, to say nothing of that huge grey area in between; there is a sense that they are tired, worn out, exhausted.

Putting Boris at the helm in 2020 will simply signal to a large number of people that they are falling back to their, xenophobic, racist, class-ridden, tin-eared nasty roots.
    Similarly I would argue that 2001 is a better guide to people's underlying attitudes to the EU (and Eurosceptics) than the referendum, which took place in a very unique context with circumstances that cannot ever be repeated.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

For this reason they have to go with Javid, who I tipped here years ago for his son of a bus driver working class background. They did it with Cameron and his disabled son, and his support of the NHS as someone who had used it.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

On that basis, what would electing Javid signify?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

On that basis, what would electing Javid signify?
    That the Tory party is completely obsessed with buses?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Yes thats true ;)

Assuming that sacs refers to salary sacrifice, what are the main areas that can be exploited?

Are the sacrifices for things that people realy want/need/value?
  • Options

Labour are making themselves look crazy by saying this is unfounded, but we'd spend more!
  • Options

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Things have changed a bit since 201her.

For this reason they have to go with Javid, who I tipped here years ago for his son of a bus driver working class background. They did it with Cameron and his disabled son, and his support of the NHS as someone who had used it.
    Very funny Dead Ringers on Friday with Sajid "as the son of a Pakistani bus driver" Javid being "interviewed", if you heard it.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    edited June 2018

TOPPING said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That was true in London too, though. Voters in the middle might be put off by a response from Labour members that was seen as being over the top.
    But Boris's victories in London were before the EU referendum. That changed everything. He would be slaughtered if he stood in London today.

• Options

TOPPING said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

But Boris's victories in London were before the EU referendum. That changed everything. He would be slaughtered if he stood in London's today.

He was also standing both times again Ken.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937

TOPPING said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The fun Boris of 2012 was not the toxic Boris of 2018.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Even so there are 15 Labour marginal seats with majorities under 1000 the Tories are targeting, 12 of which voted Leave and all of which will be vulnerable even with incumbency.

The Tories need 8 of those for an overall majority
    http://www.electionpolling.co.uk/battleground/targets/conservative
    Indeed - but 9 of those 15 will enjoy first term incumbency next time.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Yes thats true ;)

What loophole lol - a teeny tiny break for the hard pressed PAYE employee !
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Yes thats true ;)

Because its good to support employers paying into employee pensions.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I could see a Johnson led Tories winning Peterborough, y majority

The Tories are currently polling about 42%, in 1992 they got 41% ie almost the same, in 1997 they got 31%, over 10% less than they are currently polling. 2022 will be 12 years into a Tory government as 1992 was 13 years into a Tory government, 1997 was 18 years into a Tory government.

Boris may signal to inner city Remain areas and university towns that the Tories are led by an 'unprogressive' leader but so what? Almost all those seats are now pretty safe Labour held seats anyway
  • Options

TOPPING said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

But Boris's victories in London were before the EU referendum. That changed everything. He would be slaughtered if he stood in London's today.

How well would Ken do now?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    Scott_P said:
    This is incorrect.

The Brexit Dividend is that to pay for the increased NHS funding taxes and borrowing will be higher than otherwise would have been the case.

• Options

TOPPING said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

But Boris's victories in London were before the EU referendum. That changed everything. He would be slaughtered if he stood in London today.

He would also have lost in 2012 had Labour selected a candidate other than Livingstone.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I think @Southam's point

The Tories are currently polling about 42% in 1992 they got 41% ie almost the same, in 1997 they got 31%, over 10% less than they are currently polling. 2022 will be 12 years into a Tory government as 1992 was 13 years into a Tory government, 1997 was 18 years into a Tory government.

Boris may signal to inner city Remain areas and university towns that the Tories are led by an 'unprogressive' leader but so what? Almost all those seats are now pretty safe Labour held seats anyway
    Tories live in abject fear of another GE1997, but it’s a different country now and politics are more polarised around values than economics.
  • Options

Labour are making themselves look crazy by saying this is unfounded, but we'd spend more!
    Agreed.

There was a rather more nuanced attack from a Labour MP on R4 this morning shortly before 9. I didn't catch her name but I think she was on the Health and Social Care Select Committee. She pointed out that this was equivalent to an increase of 3.4% a year which meant that the long term increase since 2010 will still be below the long term average. It was maybe a little complicated but certainly set a more credible platform for "its not enough". She did make some good, if obvious, points about Social Care too.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I
    The Tories are currently polling about 42%, in 1992 they got 41% ie almost the same, in 1997 they got 31%, over 10% less than they are currently polling. 2022 will be 12 years into a Tory government as 1992 was 13 years into a Tory government, 1997 was 18 years into a Tory government.

1964 was also 13 years into a Tory Government.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Yorkcity said:

Why did you not go ?

Well I hope you are cheering on England this evening, and singing , World in motion.
    I am utterly uninterested in football. I hope England win, but will probably find something slightly more productive to do with my time. But I hope everyone enjoys themselves.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Yes thats true ;)

I assume it was a way to sell auto-enrolment to small companies. The savings on Employers NI will help pay for the paperwork.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Similarly I would argue that 2001 is a better guide to people's underlying attitudes to the EU (and Eurosceptics) than the referendum, which took place in a very unique context with circumstances that cannot ever be repeated.
    Lol!!
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,993

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I think @Southam's point

The Tories are currently polling about 42% in 1992 they got 41% ie almost the same, in 1997 they got 31%, over 10% less than they are currently polling. 2022 will be 12 years into a Tory government as 1992 was 13 years into a Tory government, 1997 was 18 years into a Tory government.

Tories live in abject fear of another GE1997, but it’s a different country now and politics are more polarised around values than economics.
    GE1997 wasn't about economics. There was very little difference between what Blair was offering and the Tory offer. The big difference was that the Tories were tired out, and Blair was offering a bright new (unspecified) sunny tomorrow.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I think @Southam's point

I believe there is a greyer area than you imagine. You keep citing 1992 rather out, exhausted.

Agreed, the Tories may no longer hold seats like Enfield Southgate and Ilford North they won in 1992 but they do hold seats like Mansfield and Thurrock which were Labour in 1992
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I

Wilson won by just 4 seats and Home won a majority in England and there is no evidence yet of Labour matching Wilson's lead then
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Yes thats true ;)

I assume it was a way to sell auto-enrolment to small companies. The savings on Employers NI will help pay for the paperwork.
    Auto-enrolment doesn't have anything to do directly with salary sac. Unless you plan to pay over the minimum levels of course.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150

The fun Boris of 2012 was not the toxic Boris of 2018.

This is true. But that's because he repositioned to fit his next audience, which is Conservative Party members. If they elected him then he'd reposition again to do whoever he needed to win the next general election; Some of the Brexit toxicity will have stuck, but leave voters are in the majority, and he'd presumably be up against Jeremy Corbyn.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

How well would Ken do now?
    Well, his manifesto would be mainly about Hitler.

So difficult to predict.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Yes thats true ;)

Re pensions. This morning I received my pension statement for the six months to April. The City slickers running my fund managed to lose £60. I'd have been better off putting it into a shoebox under the bed. Pensions are not necessarily a panacea -- ask anyone who has retired since near-zero interest rates and it might be time to look for an alternative.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    DavidL said:

Agreed.

There was a rather more nuanced attack from a Labour MP on R4 this morning shortly before 9. I didn't catch her name but I think she was on the Health and Social Care Select Committee. She pointed out that this was equivalent to an increase of 3.4% a year which meant that the long term increase since 2010 will still be below the long term average. It was maybe a little complicated but certainly set a more credible platform for "its not enough". She did make some good, if obvious, points about Social Care too.

Liz Kendall was the MP.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Agreed.

Liz Kendall was the MP.
    She was the future once.

One of many with ability biding their time on select committees until Jezza-fest combusts.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,617

Is BREXIT Dividend the new Magic Money Tree

How did Marr let May get away with an announcement with a£25Bn black hole?

Oh he is a Tory.

But to be fair, his "Why did you give him a knighthood?" question was a zinger.
  • Options
    Now Jo Coburn is at it on Daily Politics trying to say both increase in NHS funding that it isn't enough money, and that it isn't affordable!
  • Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516
    Scott_P said:
    Just the latest example of the FT abandoning any sense of objectivity when it comes to EU issues. Clearly beyond 2020, as things stand, we will no longer be paying the full EU membership fee. That is a fact. Many economists predict a negative GDP impact that will outweigh it, but then many economists predicted EMU would be economically advantageous when actually it collapsed half the bloc. But the FT does not care about all that because they are raving metropolitan Europhiles who are incapable of considering other views on this matter.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

LOL. A general election fought on a dozen issues is more reliable view of people's EU preference than an actual referendum on specifically this issue where more people voted. You couldn't try for a better example of Remainers thinking democracy should just be a show with the results intepreted to fit metropolitan elite views regardless of what happened.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I

Wilson won by just 4 seats and Home won a majority in England and there is no evidence yet of Labour matching Wilson's lead then
    Labour is actually performing rather better than at the same stage of the 1959 Parlianent - ie late 1960. Many commentators also believe that Gaitskell would have won a more comfortable victory in 1964 had he lived.
  • Options

Is BREXIT Dividend the new Magic Money Tree

How did Marr let May get away with an announcement with a£25Bn black hole?

Oh he is a Tory.

But to be fair, his "Why did you give him a knighthood?" question was a zinger.
    I was told by Jackw she did not.

However according to this ,the Queen acts on advice from ministers.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19407451
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The problem with Boris as leader is that he is bumbling and lazy. The only people that think he is a xenophobic racist are those that already hate the Tories.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I
    The Tories are currently polling about 42%, in 1992 they got 41% ie almost the same, in 1997 they got 31%, over 10% less than they are currently polling. 2022 will be 12 years into a Tory ay
    Labour is actually performing rather better than at the same stage of the 1959 Parlianent - ie late 1960. Many commentators also believe that Gaitskell would have won a more comfortable victory in 1964 had he lived.
    No, Home may well have beaten Gaitskell who Macmillan comfortably defeated in 1959, it was only the more charismatic Wilson who was able to win a very narrow win over Home after he took over as Labour leader in 1963
This discussion has been closed.