Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The language of priorities. What we talk about when we talk ab

Comments

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,400
    edited June 2018

TOPPING said:

Carney's rate move. It was a puny quarter point reduction that has already been reversed. Normally moves are at least half a point or if crisis moves are considerably more and aren't reversed so quickly.

GBP's fall. It was forecast as

Farmer featured in the FT - So he's having to pay a bit more than minimum wage and install WiFi in his accomodation to improve workers living conditions? That's a problem?

very funny.

Carney signalled to the markets that he was ready to act. And you Leavers can't have it both ways - he can't be criticised for instituting a Greenspan Put (as @Charles would have it) and also for it being ineffective as you say.

My own view accords with yours, AAMOF - it did no good in terms of monetary easing, it was pushing at a piece of string in the current environment, but it did signal to the markets that the BoE was all over Brexit and the risks. He also reestablished QE and spent £100bn on the banks.

Not sure about your point about GBP. Project Fear is a crock of shit but a Project Fear prediction came true so we can ignore it??

As for the farmer, as I said - a diminution of our wellbeing.
    I never criticised him for instituting a Greenspan Put and most criticism I saw from Leavers was that it was unnecessary posturing. If all the market needed to be reassured was a calm statement and a tiny quarter point reduction swiftly reversed then the problems of Brexit can't have been severe.

As for GBP no that's not what I said. What I said was the Project Fear hasn't come true - the only part that has was sterling falling but by less than forecast. You can't then claim that Project Fear didn't come true because sterling fell. That's like me saying its going to rain so heavily tomorrow that your home will be flooded, then it raining but your house not getting flooded (as I was wrong) then me claiming that the only reason your home didn't flood is because it rained taking the moisture out of the air. Err no.

As for the farmer - how are increased wages and better living conditions for workers a diminution of our wellbeing? Unless you want our wellbeing to be based on indentured servitude with poor wages and poor living conditions?
    OK so you didn't criticise Carney - excellent. Markets buy on rumour and sell on fact - ie they needed action and Carney's four point plan gave them facts on the ground and they were happy.

As for the FX - well it's a matter of degree. One person's crash is another's blip. Look at the news programmes (well mocked on The Day Today) talking about how "sterling has plummeted 1%".

Increased wages for everyone! Hurrah! Get in Jezzah! Literally.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Mr. Rentool, also adds to journey time, decreasing productivity.

If you want to be productive on a journey - catch the train.
    Trains are only useful if both your home and your destination are near the station. Great for Metropolitan cities like London, not so great otherwise.

For me its a 40 minute walk to get to the nearest train station. How is that more productive?
    Get on your...
    Cycling is dangerous, especially in the rain when potholes are filled with water and can't be spotted.

Apparently there is no money to re-build local roads and solve the pothole problem because it is all being spent on building vanity projects like HS2.
    Everything is dangerous. And cyclists soon get to know their local blackspots/potholes/etc.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,839
    edited June 2018

This railway mayhem smacks of a nation preoccupied with Brexit and a government paralysed by it. Sadly there seems no end in sight. We'll be spending years - if not decades - hauling ourselves back to where we were pre-Brexit. Everything else will be left by the wayside. Grim.

It seems Network Rail (100% government owned) assumed passengers could disembark and embark a lot faster in theory than they can in practice. Hence trains unable to kep to the timetable.

Also some train operators are facing work to rule by their unions but failed to allow for this during a changeover to a new timetable which requires more drivers.
    AIUI, the rest time assumption of 30s at a minor station and 60s at a major one is decades old and Network Rail increasing rest time assumptions for the May timetable was one of the, albeit lesser, drivers of timetable changes.

Network Rail's deficiencies are not a simple function of public ownership but rather that it retains the very specific culture set at the time of its creation, post Potters Bar, whereby it can close the whole shebang down with near impunity whenever it wants in the name of maximizing safety.

We must remember that one result of that has been that, if my reading is correct*, just a single passenger has died on board a train that has crashed in the following 15 years. I felt the government has lost the plot in 2003, but they either saw a historic opportunity that I didn't or got very lucky.

I do wonder, though, whether there are more compromises on station and line closures that can and should be made by Network Rail to lessen inconvenience.

* There are plenty of other ways of having an accident on the railways, but the narrow 'train crash' reading has value.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    off topic (not that I can remember what the topic was/is):

The whole explosion in moped crime thing is a gift waiting to be claimed for either current or future Mayoral candidates in many cities, London in particular.

Surprised we've heard nothing from Sadiq about it, especially with high profile victims such as Michael McIntyre.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,365
    Anazina said:

DavidL said:

Trains are only useful if both your home and your destination are near the station. Great for Metropolitan cities like London, not so great otherwise.

For me its a 40 minute walk to get to the nearest train station. How is that more productive?
    Presumably you will get fitter and spend less time off work with illness?
    I do a lot of my best work while walking. I find it's a good time to call my clients – the conversations are often more fruitful than when one is sedentary.
    One of the more obvious eccentricities of the Faculty of Advocates is that when advocates want to negotiate they walk together up and down the Great Hall. The rationale is that no one can then overhear more than snippets of the conversation but a few thousand years ago we invented things called doors so I can't help feeling it is simply pretentious.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,365
    Pro_Rata said:

This railway mayhem smacks of a nation preoccupied with Brexit and a government paralysed by it. Sadly there seems no end in sight. We'll be spending years - if not decades - hauling ourselves back to where we were pre-Brexit. Everything else will be left by the wayside. Grim.

It seems Network Rail (100% government owned) assumed passengers could disembark and embark a lot faster in theory than they can in practice. Hence trains unable to kep to the timetable.

Also some train operators are facing work to rule by their unions but failed to allow for this during a changeover to a new timetable which requires more drivers.
    AIUI, the rest time assumption of 30s at a minor station and 60s at a major one is decades old and Network Rail increasing rest time assumptions for the May timetable was one of the, albeit lesser, drivers of timetable changes.

Network Rail's deficiencies are not a simple function of public ownership but rather that it retains the very specific culture set at the time of its creation, post Potters Bar, whereby it can close the whole shebang down with near impunity whenever it wants in the name of maximizing safety.

We must remember that one result of that has been that, if my reading is correct*, just a single passenger has died on board a train that has crashed in the following 15 years. I felt the government has lost the plot in 2003, but they either saw a historic opportunity that I didn't or got very lucky.

I do wonder, though, whether there are more compromises on station and line closures that can and should be made by Network Rail to lessen inconvenience.

* There are plenty of other ways of having an accident on the railways, but the narrow 'train crash' reading has value.
    One of my father's earliest postings in the Army was at Tewksbury. He told me that the train was not allowed to stop at the station but would slow down to maybe 10mph, the doors would all be slammed open and cases and squaddies would be thrown or jump/roll onto the platform. Maybe this should be reintroduced.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    edited June 2018
    TOPPING said:

The whole explosion in moped crime thing is a gift waiting to be claimed for either current or future Mayoral candidates in many cities, London in particular.

Surprised we've heard nothing from Sadiq about it, especially with high profile victims such as Michael McIntyre.

The only way the situation with the moped gangs is going to change, is if the police reverse their policy of not chasing them. I can’t see the bleeding hearts in charge of the Met going for that, but surely public opinion must now be close to tipping point on the issue?

The mayor will just wibble something about Tory Cuts, but it doesn’t matter how many police are in London if they refuse to chase criminals just because they’re on mopeds without helmets.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    Democrat 25 pt flip in SD17 in Missouri for anyone betting on the US elections btw.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited June 2018
    TOPPING said:

Sadiq did say something -- probably blamed TMay's police cuts but I can't be bothered to look it up. If any politician had a solution that would survive more than 30 seconds thought and a searching interview with Richard Madeley, we'd have heard about it.
  • Options

Anazina said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

The astonishing part about the A1 is how there aren't more accidents with people pulling out of petrol stations out onto the road. The slip roads on are near non existant - has it simply not been noted how lethal these are ?
    Other than that it is not a bad road - just I feel some of the whole "smart motorway" spending on the M1 is a waste of cash (And unwanted with the nonsense near constant 60 mph limit) and improving the slip roads to a couple of services on the A1 would have been a far better use of cash.

The money spent on managed motorways is a disgrace.
    Agreed. Smart motorways are a joke. The M1 is nearly always under speed restrictions. A wiser policy would have been to restrict demand, by offering tax breaks to employers along motorway commuting route who offered rotating working from home to their employees. But that would have required imaginative thinking – all too rare among governments both Labour and Tory I am afraid.
    Having a near-permanent 50 or 60 mph speed limit is, to me, a Good Thing.

1. Improves fuel economy, therefore reduced emissions.
    2. More people switch to the train, as driving takes significantly longer, further reducing emissions and reducing road congestion.
    3. For those still driving, flowing at 50 mph is much less stressful than a cavalry charge, hard braking, charge again experience all too common on busy motorways.
    4. It annoys 'petrol heads'.
    5. It increases the throughput of the road because slower moving cars don't need such large gaps between them. Or, more precisely, because the size of the gaps required between the cars is not a linear function of their speed.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

The only way the situation with the moped gangs is going to change, is if the police reverse their policy of not chasing them. I can’t see the bleeding hearts in charge of the Met going for that, but surely public opinion must now be close to tipping point on the issue?
    They have a policy of not chasing them ?!
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    Anazina said:

DavidL said:

Presumably you will get fitter and spend less time off work with illness?
    I do a lot of my best work while walking. I find it's a good time to call my clients – the conversations are often more fruitful than when one is sedentary.
    Me too. It’s amazing how little one actually needs ones notes/computer access.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Democrat 25 pt flip in SD17 in Missouri for anyone betting on the US elections btw.

I think GOP control for the senate is probably now a lay at 1.39.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

The mayor will just wibble something about Tory Cuts, but it doesn’t matter how many police are in London if they refuse to chase criminals just because they’re on mopeds without helmets.
    I think if we copied the Ewoks’ methods for dealing with speeder bikes the issue would diminish quite rapidly.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Yep. A couple of kids got killed in accidents while being chased a year or so ago, so the Met police decided to stop chasing them as a matter of policy.

So now every gang member in London now goes around on a stolen moped with no helmet with absolute impunity. Hence the explosion of this sort of crime.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-35635536
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

I think if we copied the Ewoks’ methods for dealing with speeder bikes the issue would diminish quite rapidly.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

It doesn't. That's why they are doing it. The average journey time is lower as there is less stop-start
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Those of you in the North only have to wait another 10 years and you will be able to join us in the South even faster by travelling on HS2 (provided you have enough money to buy a single ticket)

It is fast enough at the moment IMO, from York to Kings Cross.
    1 hour 58 mins .

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,242
    DavidL said:

Pro_Rata said:

One of my father's earliest postings in the Army was at Tewksbury. He told me that the train was not allowed to stop at the station but would slow down to maybe 10mph, the doors would all be slammed open and cases and squaddies would be thrown or jump/roll onto the platform. Maybe this should be reintroduced.
    Perhaps something for Michael O'Leary to mull over..
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,611

Mr. Max, do you have inside info, because that seems like an unusual bet?

No markets as far as I know (I just check Ladbrokes/Betfair though, so they might be up elsewhere).

No inside info, just a feeling that Renault are going to prove themselves over this season and the fact they are a works team. McLaren have been poor all season and Canada is going to be a complete shitshow for them (they will be competing with Williams and Sauber). I doubt Alonso will be interested in signing for 2019 with them which leaves Renault as the only other realistic option, should he want to stay in F1.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894
    edited June 2018

Roger said:

Some politicians are lucky and others aren't.....

Argentina boycotting a football match with Israel to great international acclaim on the same day Theresa May is laying out the red carpet for Benjamin Netanyahu in Downing St......

A perfect metaphor for Britain's new position in the world

perhaps you could explain the significance of that
    It's a morality tale. I thought you might struggle with it
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Mr. Max, do you have inside info, because that seems like an unusual bet?

No markets as far as I know (I just check Ladbrokes/Betfair though, so they might be up elsewhere).

No inside info, just a feeling that Renault are going to prove themselves over this season and the fact they are a works team. McLaren have been poor all season and Canada is going to be a complete shitshow for them (they will be competing with Williams and Sauber). I doubt Alonso will be interested in signing for 2019 with them which leaves Renault as the only other realistic option, should he want to stay in F1.
    I reckon Alonso will join the rumoured McLaren Indycar effort, he really wants to win the 500 and has a pretty good chance of winning Le Mans this year or next.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,028
    Scott_P said:

https://twitter.com/NickGibbs/status/1004230896457838592

EDIT: I am sure our car part manufacture and logistics "experts" will be along shortly to tell us the boss of Unipart is wrong...

If he consulted the leavers on here he would have realised that all he needs to do is build an airport in the office car park.
  • Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516

Sean_F said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Justin Welby, the Archbishop of Canterbury, comes out as a Remainer 'the EU has been the greatest thing for human beings since the Western Roman Empire'

https://mobile.twitter.com/wareisjoe/status/1003984057787699202

++Justin can be silly sometimes
    Better than democracy, or the abolition of slavery, or capitalism?
    The re-uniting of christendom after a couple of centuries of nationalism.
    So there's no Christendom in Africa or the rest of the world? How imperialistic.
    Not imperialistic, just old-fashioned.
    No imperialistic. Literally the very thing he's comparing to as the only thing greater in the past two thousand years is the Western Roman Empire. So long as the white Europeans are united then Christendom is and forget about the savages on other continents even if they are Christians.
    It is jaw droppingly stupid to describe the EU as more lovely than the Renaissance, the Enlightenment, liberal democracy, the codification of human rights, emancipation, female suffrage, etc etc. I swear Europhilia is a delusion in some of its more hardcore forms.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Meanwhile, in a racing formula not very far away:
    https://twitter.com/alstewitn/status/1004312459556147200
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

If he consulted the leavers on here he would have realised that all he needs to do is build an airport in the office car park.

No, he can just rent one...
  • Options
    Mr. Max, fair enough.

I think Hulkenberg and Sainz is a very good pairing. If Renault can keep both, they will (Sainz to Red Bull is possible if Ricciardo leaves for pastures new). Whilst Alonso's good and I agree with you on Renault's long term possible strength, their current pair of drivers will be around for a lot longer than Alonso.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,319
    Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

The Met does have a point. Even if they caught them what would happen? Two weeks suspension of chocolate rations? And in the meantime how many innocent pedestrians get ploughed into the pavement? As for Michael McIntyre: who cares? I never found him remotely funny and he can afford it!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

It doesn't. That's why they are doing it. The average journey time is lower as there is less stop-start
    It depends how heavily used the road is. If traffic is light, then lower speed limits obviously do add to journey times. However, as the road becomes more congested, they do indeed reduce average journey times by making more efficient use of the road space and thus increasing throughput.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,295
    Will the Daily Hate be able to fit mugshots of all those tories on its front page and get 72 point bold 'Traitors' sub-heading fitted on?
  • Options

It depends how heavily used the road is. If traffic is light, then lower speed limits obviously do add to journey times. However, as the road becomes more congested, they do indeed reduce average journey times by making more efficient use of the road space and thus increasing throughput.

And if the traffic is light, the speed restrictions are lifted
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,295
    Seems events at Westminster are moving fast. I have to go out now. So play nicely.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,887
    Scott_P said:
    The usual suspects? The dirty dozen? :D
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Speaking as a member of the pedestrians' union, I like gaps in traffic. It is far harder to cross the road if rain, temporary speed limits or just congestion slow traffic and the gaps disappear.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,917
    Elliot said:

Sean_F said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Justin Welby, the Archbishop of Canterbury, comes out as a Remainer 'the EU has been the greatest thing for human beings since the Western Roman Empire'

https://mobile.twitter.com/wareisjoe/status/1003984057787699202

++Justin can be silly sometimes
    Better than democracy, or the abolition of slavery, or capitalism?
    The re-uniting of christendom after a couple of centuries of nationalism.
    So there's no Christendom in Africa or the rest of the world? How imperialistic.
    Not imperialistic, just old-fashioned.
    No imperialistic. Literally the very thing he's comparing to as the only thing greater in the past two thousand years is the Western Roman Empire. So long as the white Europeans are united then Christendom is and forget about the savages on other continents even if they are Christians.
    It is jaw droppingly stupid to describe the EU as more lovely than the Renaissance, the Enlightenment, liberal democracy, the codification of human rights, emancipation, female suffrage, etc etc. I swear Europhilia is a delusion in some of its more hardcore forms.
    One might have expected an Archbishop to rate the conversion of England more highly than the creation of the EU.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Dawning,

"As for Michael McIntyre: who cares? I never found him remotely funny and he can afford it!"

Cruel, but true.

I'm always puzzled my the reluctance to chase criminals in case they hurt themselves. It gives them free rein. Yes, I know they could hurt innocent people but they hardly obey the highway code even when not chased.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884
    JCWNFFI (Jeremy Corbyn Will Never Fall For It)
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Yep. A couple of kids got killed in accidents while being chased a year or so ago, so the Met police decided to stop chasing them as a matter of policy.

So now every gang member in London now goes around on a stolen moped with no helmet with absolute impunity. Hence the explosion of this sort of crime.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-35635536
    If you are right then some sort of AI on speed or cctv cameras to alert police that helmetless riders are descending on Bond Street jewellers will fix this particular crimewave.
  • Options
    Super waffle by Tezza and this after commentators saying Jezza wouldn’t lead on Brexit.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,712
    Sorry but thats pretty weak from May.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,682
    PMQs: Does May EVER answer Jezza's questions?
  • Options
    Jezza in control.

Never has the opposition/enemy observation been so well illustrated.

And a good joke by Jezza! Oh end of days!!
  • Options
    XenonXenon Posts: 471
    instead of (or as well as) a massive infrastructure spending spree in the North, how about cutting taxes for poorer areas. A few taxes that could be reduced:

Employers/employees national insurance contributions
    Business rates
    PAYE rates (maybe another £5k tax free threshold)
    Council tax

Get people and businesses wanting to move up North and the case for better infrastructure becomes a lot stronger.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020
    Any posted this yet https://www.citymetric.com/transport/so-why-northern-rail-chaos-here-are-11-reasons-3952

Why the Northern Rail disaster was inevitable...
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,682

PMQs: Does May EVER answer Jezza's questions?

OMG! She just did!
  • Options
    Jezza on fire!!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    That list of delayed projects has nowt to do with Brexit and everything to do with contractors leaving HMRC when the IR35 public sector changes were announced...
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Super waffle by Tezza and this after commentators saying Jezza wouldn’t lead on Brexit.

That was a terrible Pmqs for May.

On what should be her strength Brexit.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,122
    Scott_P said:
    It won't because Labour Leave backers like Hoey, Field and Mann and Stringer and Hopkins would still vote against the ERA not forgetting most Labour seats voted Leave largely to end free movement and membership of the ERA prevents that
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,301
    edited June 2018
    Scott_P said:
    On the "in the Mail (of all papers)" point.

Always worth checking the publication date of pro-EU stories on the Mail website. They'll either be April 1, or more likely (as in this case) any Saturday night or Sunday morning when the pro-Europe Mail on Sunday uploads its stuff :)
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,028
    Where's Big G to call a PMQ victory for May?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,356
    Just listening to PMQ's on my return from holiday and TM was poor simply because she has no agreed position. The problem is no one else has.

I am heading up to God's own Country tomorrow visiting family and when I return I will contribute more but politics seems to be in utter chaos and only hope next week's votes may help to change the narrative
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

On holiday I believe.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Been on holiday but following post to yours. And yes she is utterly uninspiring and must be under threat but as I said, more from me next week
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Dura_Ace said:

On holiday I believe.
    Just back from fabulous cruise to the Med and Greek Islands and in all my time away no one mentioned Brexit and it was just wonderful. Great friendship with all the locals and fellow passengers
  • Options
    This can't go on. Theresa can't allow Jezza to strut around being all soft Brexity and, ergo, business and prosperity's friend. Theresa needs to adopt an ultra-continentalist approach, and if that means exiling Rees-Mogg to Trump's America then so be it!
  • Options

This can't go on. Theresa can't allow Jezza to strut around being all soft Brexity and, ergo, business and prosperity's friend. Theresa needs to adopt an ultra-continentalist approach, and if that means exiling Rees-Mogg to Trump's America then so be it!

Agree with you
  • Options

Corbyn is not soft Brexit at all as Leslie and Umunna have shown this morning Labour is deeply divided over Corbyn's refusal to endorse continued UK membership of the EEA and May and Corbyn both know most Labour seats voted Leave largely to end freedom of movement which EEA membership prevents
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,785
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

I think GOP control for the senate is probably now a lay at 1.39.
    We were told only a couple of days back that 1.41 was fill your boots value...

Meantime, the Democrats aren't exactly free of missteps:
    https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/06/sen-bob-menendezs-poor-primary-showing-creates-a-new-headache-for-democrats-in-new-jersey.html?
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Rogueywon said:

Worth noting that the detailed analysis done on Heathrow expansion by Government and its commissions showed that while the "pain" of Heathrow expansion falls squarely on London and the South East through noise and air pollution, the economic benefits are fairly evenly spread across most of the country. Most of the regional airports (other than Birmingham, which is too close to London to benefit from it) support Heathrow expansion as it benefits their onward connectivity, as do the more serious regional government bodies.

Crossrail and the like do indeed primarily benefit Londoners and commuters, but Heathrow is in a different category. The government will be depending on votes from the SNP and Labour MPs from the North to get it across the line in a vote.

Indeed. Heathrow is so congested that every time there’s some morning fog in the winter, half of BA’s domestic schedule gets binned for the day. I imagine that MPs from northern constituencies notice this personally.

Meanwhile KLM and Emirates operate to most of the regional airports and take a considerable amount of long haul passengers (and APD) away.
    Heathrow is WAY overdue, and other regional airports should be expanded too. Why give the Dutch extra business with Schipol connections ?
    Heathrow expansion is more than 20 years overdue but I never really followed why it was an alternative to Gatwick or other regional expansion. We need both right now. We certainly will need them desperately by the time the Heathrow expansion is built.
    If we had the mentality of China, we’d be building TWO runways at Heathrow to cope with future increase demand, plus another one a Gatwick and one somewhere in the North. We have a bad habit of building infrastructure that is immediately at 99% capacity because we think far too short term and allow NIMBYs to make construction time consuming and expensive
  • Options

Just listening to PMQ's on my return from holiday and TM was poor simply because she has no agreed position. The problem is no one else has...

No one else is PM. Yet.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    Politics is a tormentingly complicated business and one of May's failures as a leader is to allow all those complications to show on her face/in her words.

Cameron, by contrast, was the consummate swan. He hardly ever allowed the complications to show.

• Options
    "...detailed, ambitious and precise..."

Proving yet again that, in politics, words mean exactly the opposite of their regular meaning.
  • Options
    Fenster said:

Politics is a tormentingly complicated business and one of May's failures as a leader is to allow all those complications to show on her face/in her words.

Cameron, by contrast, was the consummate swan. He hardly ever allowed the complications to show.

It was Cameron's failure to deal with the complications of getting a deal with the EU which cost Remain the referendum and ended his premiership
  • Options
    Fenster said:

It was Cameron's failure to deal with the complications of getting a deal with the EU which cost Remain the referendum and ended his premiership
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,762
    edited June 2018

Yorkcity said:

Dura_Ace said:

On holiday I believe.
    Just back from fabulous cruise to the Med and Greek Islands and in all my time away no one mentioned Brexit and it was just wonderful. Great friendship with all the locals and fellow passengers
    We've missed you Big_G! The voice of loyal but concerned Conservatism. :smile:
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,957
    edited June 2018
    This entire post-referendum mess boils down to one thing: the catastrophic decision to trigger Article 50 without first understanding the complexities of the UK’s integration into the EU or having an agreed strategy about how to work through these. Everything else flows from that.
  • Options
    Mr. Xenon, welcome to PB.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    Yorkcity said:

TOPPING said:

Strength?

Brexit is a curse on the Tory Party - Euroscepticism has brought down the last three Tory PMs, May will certainly be the fourth PM to fall victim and the whole country is now caught up in the maelstrom.
  • Options
    Xenon said:

instead of (or as well as) a massive infrastructure spending spree in the North, how about cutting taxes for poorer areas. A few taxes that could be reduced:

Employers/employees national insurance contributions
    Business rates
    PAYE rates (maybe another £5k tax free threshold)
    Council tax

Get people and businesses wanting to move up North and the case for better infrastructure becomes a lot stronger.

... and there'll be even less money to pay for it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Fenster said:

I don't disagree. But May's discomfort is written all over her face and as a leader she needs to be better at concealing.
  • Options
    Fenster said:

HYUFD said:

Fenster said:

I don't disagree. But May's discomfort is written all over her face and as a leader she needs to be better at concealing.
    Maybe but no PM is going to find it easy getting any sort of deal with Juncker and Barnier
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,712

This entire post-referendum mess boils down to one thing: the catastrophic decision to trigger Article 50 without first understanding the complexities of the UK’s integration into the EU or having an agreed strategy about how to work through these. Everything else flows from that.

To befair , Corbyn pressed her to trigger it from the start. so they're in that error together,
  • Options
    edited June 2018

Yorkcity said:

Dura_Ace said:

On holiday I believe.
    We've missed you Big_G! The voice of loyal but concerned Conservatism. :smile:
    Thanks Ben and yes I am concerned

Our cruise demonstrated the advantages of using the euro in the main, 4G roaming was amazing considering the ships satellite internet charges, and of course health care, though we did not need it.

Personally I want to have a deal that keeps us close but then I am for immigration, though controlled, and see the many advantages of close ties with Europe
  • Options
    edited June 2018

17 million voted Leave to trigger Article 50 much as diehard Remainers may wish to gloss over that fact
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

17 million voted Leave to trigger Article 50 much as diehard Remainers may wish to gloss over that fact
    I think the 17m who voted Leave were entitled to assume the government knew it's arse from its elbow and would have some kind of coherent plan (or even objective) before actually triggering Article 50!
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

I think the other source of mess- at least on the political side- is that the referendum was not more specific about what we were voting for. It could have been designed so that the official Leave campaign would be responsible for producing a one-page statement of negotiating objectives, red lines, etc. at the beginning of the campaign
  • Options

I think the other source of mess- at least on the political side- is that the referendum was not more specific about what we were voting for. It could have been designed so that the official Leave campaign would be responsible for producing a one-page statement of negotiating objectives, red lines, etc. at the beginning of the campaign
    +1 Which is why Cameron has to join the list go 'Guilty Men' when the full history gets written.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    edited June 2018
    HYUFD said:

Correct. 17 million people voted to leave the EU and enter a world in which the UK would get all the benefits of membership but none of the costs, vast amounts would be invested in the NHS and the EU would give us a simple, cost-free Brexit.

But the world they voted for is a fantasy and cannot be made into reality simply by voting for it.
  • Options

+1 Which is why Cameron has to join the list go 'Guilty Men' when the full history gets written.
    Cameron is responsible for putting the idea of the referendum on the agenda.
    Osbourne can share the blame for that and for attacking the Lib Dem seats in the 2015 election that led to the actual win, given that the referendum was supposed to die in the coalition negotiation.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,983

HYUFD said:

Correct. 17 million people voted to leave the EU and enter a world in which the UK would get all the benefits of membership but none of the costs, vast amounts would be invested in the NHS and the EU would give us a simple, cost-free Brexit.

But the world they voted for is a fantasy and cannot be made into reality simply by voting for it.
    No they didn't. And given you didn't vote Leave you are in no position to make those claims. Like so many Remoaners you speak from a position of ignorance.
  • Options
    Jezza murders May again at PMQs on BREXIT

TM must be a severe source of embarrassment for PB Tories.

When will she be put out of her misery?
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

TOPPING said:

Strength?

Brexit is a curse on the Tory Party - Euroscepticism has brought down the last three Tory PMs, May will certainly be the fourth PM to fall victim and the whole country is now caught up in the maelstrom.
    May called a snap election because she believed her stance on Brexit , would give her a massive majority.

One year on she looks feeble , not able to answer a question on the same subject
  • Options
    16 Months since A50 still no White Paper

Strong and Stable or Weak and Wobbly you decide
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,957
    HYUFD said:

They did not vote for it to be triggered precipitously before the government had the first clue about what leaving actually entailed or how it might be done without inflicting substantial harm.

• Options
    edited June 2018

Jezza murders May again at PMQs on BREXIT

TM must be a severe source of embarrassment for PB Tories.

When will she be put out of her misery?

Yes I am so embarrassed the Tories still lead Labour even with Survation and May still leads Corbyn as best PM in every poll.

Only a few political anoraks watch PMQs anyway and a bad day one week can be rectified by a good day the next week
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Boris said we shouldn't rush:

“The only change — and it will not come in any great rush — is that the UK will extricate itself from the EU’s extraordinary and opaque system of legislation,” Johnson wrote in his column for the Daily Telegraph.

“EU citizens living in this country will have their rights fully protected, and the same goes for British citizens living in the EU,” wrote Johnson, the former mayor of London and a favourite to succeed the outgoing Conservative Prime Minister David Cameron.

“British people will still be able to go and work in the EU; to live; to travel; to study; to buy homes and settle down,” he said.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/1131059/uk-trigger-article-50-leave-eu-ready/
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Fenster said:

HYUFD said:

Fenster said:

Maybe but no PM is going to find it easy getting any sort of deal with Juncker and Barnier
    All she needs to do is what the Italians are gonna spend the next few years doing. Ignore them, flout their rules and basically laugh at their demands. The EU only has as much power as we allow it to have. The French ignore them too.
  • Options
    May was very poor at PMQs. She is running out of room to kick the can for much longer. It feels like things will have to come to a head soon.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I think the 17m who voted Leave were entitled to assume the government knew it's arse from its elbow and would have some kind of coherent plan (or even objective) before actually triggering Article 50!
    It was the Leave campaign who were supposed to have a clear plan, the PM and Cabinet at the time backed Remain
  • Options

Abolutely. Both Remain and Leave had their own reasons for not wanting to do this, but it was extraordinarily irresponsible.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It was the Leave campaign who were supposed to have a clear plan, the PM and Cabinet at the time backed Remain
    The posts you're responding to are talking about the decision on WHEN to invoke A50.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,782

Yorkcity said:

TOPPING said:

Strength?

Brexit is like the bathtub ring in "The Cat in the Hat Comes Back"

Everything and every little Cat recruited to clear it up just makes it worse. The difference is that there is no Voom at the end.
This discussion has been closed.