Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Forget the Lewisham East by election this will be the most imp

13»

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited June 2018

After finding the source of the much complained about conspiracy story about Baddiel I discover the original tweet seems to be a complaint that Tracey's show (the bit being complained about) was so bad and biased it was like something written by Baddiel. In fairness this actually requires looking for the context and not assuming the worst much like the recent incident where many on PB were rushing to defend a Labour member accused of misogyny regarding Emily Thornberry.

Just can't figure out why there wasn't the same rush to try and discover the context here....

Nice atttempt at spin, but not true....that is what the guy is now claiming that it was all satire, the original tweet says nothing of the sort, so much so the cult went jumped all over it and baddiel has had to spend the day denying it / having to deal with all sorts of abuse.
  • Options
    PurplePurple Posts: 150
    Betfair midprices for next Conservative leader:

Rees-Mogg 8.0
    Gove 8.9
    Johnson 11.75
    Javid 12.25
    Hunt 19
    Raab 23

Gove may soon be the favourite.
  • Options
    archer101auarcher101au Posts: 1,612

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

Still trying to make it back from Headingly. God our rail services are shit.

Would May really pile up all these votes on the same day if she was not really confident of winning them? Would seem tactically unwise.

The UK will be in the customs Union. The only question is whether the realisation hits before or after Brexit date. Reality will impose itself sooner or later. I presume Theresa May wants it to be later.
    The other question is What Would Jeremy Do. His approach so far has been to ensure that there is no trace that is attributed to him of looking to block Brexit. I suspect May's rationale for gathering these votes together is to force Corbyn off the fence - if he votes against the Govt, the Tories will accuse him of looking to block Brexit and, if he abstains or votes for the Govt (unlikely), his pro-Remain MPs will crucify him.
    It’s only the more cuckoo Leave obsessives who see exiting the Customs Union as essential to True Brexit. Those nutjobs are already all lined up behind the Conservatives.

Labour has a free hand on this point.
    Alistair you are telling fibs again. As anyone who takes this seriously knows, it is not possible to stay in the CU whilst staying outside SM regulations. Therefore, the UK will be subject to ECJ jurisdiction and FOM.

So the cuckoos are quite right - it is not possible to stay in the CU and have a 'true' Brexit.

Even the EU agree with this. Amazing how when the EU say anything and Leavers disagree we are told that we are not recognising reality. But when the EU say there is no option for the UK to remain in the CU without full integration you pretend that they don't mean it.

Must be a real mental challenge keeping one step ahead of logic.
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840

After finding the source of the much complained about conspiracy story about Baddiel I discover the original tweet seems to be a complaint that Tracey's show (the bit being complained about) was so bad and biased it was like something written by Baddiel. In fairness this actually requires looking for the context and not assuming the worst much like the recent incident where many on PB were rushing to defend a Labour member accused of misogyny regarding Emily Thornberry.

Just can't figure out why there wasn't the same rush to try and discover the context here....

Nice atttempt at spin, but not true....that is what the guy is now claiming that it was all satire, the original tweet says nothing of the sort, so much so the cult went jumped all over it and baddiel has had to spend the day denying it / having to deal with all sorts of abuse.
    Just like the misogynistic tweet from the Blairite, having not read the context of that myself I can point out his original tweet said nothing of the sort people used to try and defend it and we certainly had the cult jumping all over it denying it and I remember some abuse for Owen Jones in there as well...

I guess maybe we should all abandon context, I should withdraw my original idea that the earlier guy probably isn't a horrible misogynist because context is just spin by cultists and similarly everyone on a certain side should assume this guy is a horrible anti semite.

Because who cares about the truth right?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited June 2018
    Purple said:

Rees-Mogg 8.0
    Gove 8.9
    Johnson 11.75
    Javid 12.25
    Hunt 19
    Raab 23

I thought Javid was in second place but the odds must have changed.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Charles said:

Mr. T, although I'm definitely not the best chap here to offer investment advice, one thing worth considering is mint condition coins. Prices only ever go up as supply declines over time, and it seems difficult to imagine there'll ever stop being a market.

Won't soar in value, of course, but still worth consideration.

I had a quick look at the Royal Mint site a few weeks ago. Was mildly amused to find the (then) top-priced coin was the Golden Bull of Clarence. Which was £49,995. Gold coin that weighs a kilo.

My brother has rather nice collection - a single mint gold sovereign (first press) from the year of accession of each monarch since Charles II
    Single mint coins are definitely preferable to blends! And sovereigns weren't minted between about 1603 and 1817.

Top trolling! :)
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited June 2018

Just like the misogynistic tweet from the Blairite, having not read the context of that myself I can point out his original tweet said nothing of the sort people used to try and defend it and we certainly had the cult jumping all over it denying it and I remember some abuse for Owen Jones in there as well...

I guess maybe we should all abandon context, I should withdraw my original idea that the earlier guy probably isn't a horrible misogynist because context is just spin by cultists and similarly everyone on a certain side should assume this guy is a horrible anti semite.

It took him over 24hrs to make his claim of it being all a joke.

Original Tweet - 5:57 PM - 1 Jun 2018
    "Clarification" Tweet - 10:25 PM - 2 Jun 2018

When there is 24hrs between the tweets on the subject, there is no "context" to abandon.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Now of course it is world famous and has dramatic security and the idea of just cabbing out into the Kurdish desert to see it, and picking up flint weapons, is insane.

"Göbekli Tepe is regarded by some as an archaeological discovery of the greatest importance since it could profoundly change the understanding of a crucial stage in the development of human society. Ian Hodder of Stanford University said, "Göbekli Tepe changes everything""

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Göbekli_Tepe

I've basically got the shovel wielded by Adam when he was expelled from Paradise. Beat that.

According to Sunilist "logic", the Scorpion on Pillar 43 in enclosure D at Gobekli Tepe represents the summer solstice lying in Scorpio in 9600 BC. The Birdman immediately above is one of the earliest representations of Orion, given that the winter solstice lay not far away in Taurus in 9600 BC. Anyhoo, this "anchors" Gobekli Tepe, or at least Enclosure D to the epoch of 9600 BC. Note that Orion was sacred to the much later Egyptian culture (as Osiris). There is an orb depicted above the Birdman's right arm. Some think that is the sun, but I think it is actually a representation of the Comet theorised by others to be the cause of a global cataclysm that overtook a hypothetical early civilisation whose survivors gave rise to Gobekli Tepe, Egypt, and a whole host of others after the cataclysm. The comet is thought to have left debris as the Taurid meteor shower, connecting it to Taurus and its neighbour Orion.

While not accepting that PIllar 43 depicted any constellations, the late German archaeologist Klaus Schmidt that Gobekli Tepe nonetheless thought that it dates from approximately 9600 BC.

Now, get this - what date does Plato (the Greek, not the ex-PBer!) postulate as the date for the destruction of Atlantis, his name for the originator civilisation?

9600BC!!
    Great stuff. Those carved reliefs don't look neolithic though. And from the few photos I've looked at online, the dressing of the stone looks too fine for the neolithic too. How can you make such reliefs and dress a stone so smoothly without metal tools? Perhaps Gobekli Tepe does "change everything".

What's the earliest known evidence from any culture that the constellation known today as "Scorpio" was a) a thing and b) associated with a scorpion?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    AndyJS said:

Purple said:

Rees-Mogg 8.0
    Gove 8.9
    Johnson 11.75
    Javid 12.25
    Hunt 19
    Raab 23

He should probably be favourite, though around the same odds he is now
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,945
    Purple said:

Great stuff. Those carved reliefs don't look neolithic though. And from the few photos I've looked at online, the dressing of the stone looks too fine for the neolithic too. How can you make such reliefs and dress a stone so smoothly without metal tools? Perhaps Gobekli Tepe does "change everything".

What's the earliest known evidence from any culture that the constellation known today as "Scorpio" was a) a thing and b) associated with a scorpion?

I do regular talks on Gobekli Tepe as part of teaching archaeology. The site is dated using radiocarbon dating and actually 9600 BCE is perhaps the latest date. RC dates from enclosure D place its destruction at around 9900 BCE and it building and those carvings almost certainly date back into the 11th millennium BCE. This is back in the hunter gatherer period - what officially is known as Pre Pottery Neolithic but what we would call Palaeolithic or old stone age.

This is backed up by the fact that in spite of the thousands of animal bones found at the site, not a single one was from a domesticated animal. All were of wild animals. The same applies to the grain remnants found which are all wild forms in spite of the fact that that the site which is recognised genetically as being where domestication of cereal crops first took place is less than 20 miles from Gobekli Tepe.

There is no real surprise at the sophistication of the carvings. Look at what was being done by artists at Lascaux at least 6000 years earlier. Okay they were painting rather than carving but the level of artistry is certainly comparable. As for stone tools it is no problem at all. All it needs is for the carving stone to be harder than the carved stone. Look at what the Egyptians achieved with only stone and bronze tools.

• Options

It took him over 24hrs to make his claim of it being all a joke.

Original Tweet - 5:57 PM - 1 Jun 2018
    "Clarification" Tweet - 10:25 PM - 2 Jun 2018

When there is 24hrs between the tweets on the subject, there is no "context" to abandon.
    It took 2 odd years (or however old that Thornberry tweet was) for people to come up with the "context" for the accused misogynist if you mean people clarifying after they have been accused.

What I meant by context was tweets from before they are accused, which is exactly what those defending the Blairite meant when they said context, pointing out his clarifications came years later wasn't proof in that case so a day later in this case isn't proof either, you can look at what they say and see if they have a plausible case based on what they were claim they were saying.

Of course there is a danger doing all this context stuff is just a waste of time and we should assume that Blairite guy is a misogynist or not purely on whether it suits our political biases or not.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,945
    Purple said:

SeanT said:

Now of course it is world famous and has dramatic security and the idea of just cabbing out into the Kurdish desert to see it, and picking up flint weapons, is insane.

"Göbekli Tepe is regarded by some as an archaeological discovery of the greatest importance since it could profoundly change the understanding of a crucial stage in the development of human society. Ian Hodder of Stanford University said, "Göbekli Tepe changes everything""

I've basically got the shovel wielded by Adam when he was expelled from Paradise. Beat that.

According to Sunilist "logic", the Scorpion on Pillar 43 in enclosure D at Gobekli Tepe represents the summer solstice lying in Scorpio in 9600 BC. The Birdman immediately above is one of the earliest representations of Orion, given that the winter solstice lay not far away in Taurus in 9600 BC. Anyhoo, this "anchors" Gobekli Tepe, or at least Enclosure D to the epoch of 9600 BC. Note that Orion was sacred to the much later Egyptian culture (as Osiris). There is an orb depicted above the Birdman's right arm. Some think that is the sun, but I think it is actually a representation of the Comet theorised by others to be the cause of a global cataclysm that overtook a hypothetical early civilisation whose survivors gave rise to Gobekli Tepe, Egypt, and a whole host of others after the cataclysm. The comet is thought to have left debris as the Taurid meteor shower, connecting it to Taurus and its neighbour Orion.

While not accepting that PIllar 43 depicted any constellations, the late German archaeologist Klaus Schmidt that Gobekli Tepe nonetheless thought that it dates from approximately 9600 BC.

Now, get this - what date does Plato (the Greek, not the ex-PBer!) postulate as the date for the destruction of Atlantis, his name for the originator civilisation?

9600BC!!

The people who actually excavate and study Gobekli Tepe think the stellar observatory/memorial theory that Sunil is repeating is very much a load of Dingo's Kidneys.

https://tepetelegrams.wordpress.com/category/op-ed-column/
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

Scott_P said:
    How does this obviously biased hack hold down a job as a political editor?

Obviously, if the UK does not impose border checks there won't be ANY delays at Dover, Holyhead or the Channel Tunnel because EU border checks are not actually conducted at the UK border. Muppet.
    What about the delays on the other side? The ports on the continent probably have a limited capacity for lorries to wait to go through customs.
  • Options

Purple said:

SeanT said:

9600BC!!

The people who actually excavate and study Gobekli Tepe think the stellar observatory/memorial theory that Sunil is repeating is very much a load of Dingo's Kidneys.

Interesting read, I quickly tried to look up some stuff about it but it was either short, a bit boring or going off into alien/god territory. This is a bit more what I was looking for.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,306

Purple said:

SeanT said:

9600BC!!

The shorter axis of the Gobleki Tepe site is oriented to 57 degrees east - ie. towards the summer solstice sunrise.
  • Options
    archer101auarcher101au Posts: 1,612
    Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Purple said:

Rees-Mogg 8.0
    Gove 8.9
    Johnson 11.75
    Javid 12.25
    Hunt 19
    Raab 23

He should probably be favourite, though around the same odds he is now
    Tory members are NEVER going to vote for a Remainer, especially one who basically chickened out of supporting Leave last time.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

The shorter axis of the Gobleki Tepe site is oriented to 57 degrees east - ie. towards the summer solstice sunrise.

As I lie in bed on the winter solstice, the sun rises PRECISELY in the cross-hairs formed by the window. Was my house built in the 1860s by druids? Or is it just coincidence?

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,306

As I lie in bed on the winter solstice, the sun rises PRECISELY in the cross-hairs formed by the window. Was my house built in the 1860s by druids? Or is it just coincidence?

The sun was in Scorpio at the Summer Solstice in 9600BC, as can be verified in Stellarium or similar astronomy software
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,674
    Britain is taking what a minister has described as an “active role” in shaping new EU value added tax regulations for the 2020s, suggesting the Treasury is planning for the UK to remain inside the bloc’s VAT area after the Brexit transition period.

In a letter seen by the Financial Times from Mel Stride, financial secretary to the Treasury, to Charlie Elphicke, MP for Dover, the minister also says: “The government aims to keep VAT processes after EU exit as close as possible to what they are now.”

If Britain seeks to remain inside the EU VAT area, it will continue to be bound by rules set in Brussels that are ultimately policed by the European Court of Justice, breaking one of Theresa May’s negotiating red lines.

https://www.ft.com/content/1de61f96-6736-11e8-8cf3-0c230fa67aec

This discussion has been closed.