Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why betting on the Republicans in the House mid-terms may be t

2»

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,820
    surby said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

It could be worse. I could have spent £3k I don’t have being in Kiev tonight.

Thought you were working in Dubai? £3k is must be than a week' pocket money :wink:
    I am indeed working in Dubai, my wife is Ukrainian and we were in Kiev last weekend.
    Sadly I needed to be back in the sandpit for work this week, would have cost me a fortune (as it did for TSE) to be there and we didn’t win.
    Looks like you made a wise choice. Still a good season overall for Liverpool... you guys could be the dark horses for the Premiership next season.
    Wise with hindsight indeed.
    If Mo Salah can get 40 goals next season we’ll be good contenders for the league title.
    Why ? He scored that many goals this season and you were not a contender. If I were you, I would remove the clown who is currently supposedly your goalkeeper.
    Indeed so - goal scoring has not really been our problem for quite a few years. Defence and goalkeeping have been the problems (ok, and lack of a plan B when being frustrated by teams).
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Leave.EU currently promoting itself as an account I should follow on Twitter.

What a strange waste of money by them.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    edited May 2018

Hello all.

Personally am cautiously optimistic that Putinists are going to take it in the shorts in 2016 midterms. Beyond historical trends traditionally favoring party out of power at this point in the US electoral cycle, consider that

> base Democratic voters are clearly energized and are turning out in record numbers for primary & special elections in states from coast to coast -- to vote against GOP in general and Trump in particular but ALSO to vote FOR a (mostly) new crop of attractive, interesting and potentially electable candidates.

> true there are ideological divisions, personality clashes, etc. etc. among the Democrats - as per usual! However, note that this year the more the district or state in question is swing turf, the greater the likelihood that Dem primary voters will pick a relative moderate as opposed to a flaming radical.

> base Republican voters are demonstrably LESS energized (so far anyway) and are arguably MORE divided than Democrats. The latest shamble among House GOP re: the farm bill is just the latest example.

> for both base AND swing voters, Trump is a mixed bag of tricks. He's working overtime to impress & motivate his base, but with mixed results. Evangelicals appear to be his most solid backers. However, more secular voters (at least in their political calculations) in rural & rust belt America have been seriously whipsawed (or severely whiplashed if your prefer) by Trump's trade "policy" not to mention the economic uncertainties (including this Memorial Day weekend the highest gas prices in US since Great Recession) stemming from his forays into foreign policy.

> of course Trumpski and Putinists are going to argue that it's just the swamp fighting back. And Dems can still snatch defeat from jaws of victory. However, my bet (in the alternative currency known as monopoly money) is that Trump & GOP will continue to blow it - and that the Dems will not.

Cheers,

Sea Shanty Irish

PS - Best way Democrats can show they are REALLY serious about winning is by having Nancy Pelosi walk the plank SOONER rather than later . . . preferably by Labor Day.

Good post apart from attacking poor Nancy, which would be a bit ungrateful considering she led the Democrats to take the House in 2006 and held it in 2008. Pelosi is a fighter and knows how to pass votes, see her passage of Obamacare, which is what the Dems need for next Speaker, voters in the midterms vote for the party not the leader anyway apart from using it as a mini referendum on the President
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,013
    One House Seat where I expect a Democratic gain: The West Pennsylvania Third Congressional District, which Trump won 74-24, I expect to turn Blue.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

One House Seat where I expect a Democratic gain: The West Pennsylvania Third Congressional District, which Trump won 74-24, I expect to turn Blue.

Isn't the PA map going to be totally redrawn for the election?
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

Yes, the seat that flipped disappears in the November election.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

I would caution against betting on the GOP for the midterms. Trump's approval rating of 43% for starters is still the lowest for any President since Bill Clinton in 1994 at this stage and that year Clinton's party lost the House and Senate. The Democrats have also gained House seats in special elections including in Pennsylvania one in a district which Trump carried by almost 20%. In the Senate the Democrats also lead current polls in GOP held Tennessee, Nevada and Arizona and have a slim chance of taking control even if they are likelyto lose Indiana and Montana to the Republicans.

Every President has also seen their party lose House seats in their first midterms back to FDR in 1934 with of course the exception of George W Bush which as Ian Whittaker says was because the 2002 midterms took place the year after 9/11

I suppose it depends on whether the Democrats are piling up votes in their safe areas like they did in 2016.
    It's an interesting question: the issue I see Trump having is that the US economic boom is mostly in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Stamford CT, Denver, and Seattle - and not so much in places in the Rust Belt that came out for him.
    Trump's approval rating is up to 50% in Orange County, California which voted for a Democratic presidential candidate for the first time since before WW2 in 2016 when it voted for Hillary.

Nationwide though it is 43%, 3% less than the 46% he got in 2016 nationwide when he still lost the popular vote so you may be onto something.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

Sorry, I meant West Virginia
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

A hint to help you distinguish between them - in West Virginia they burn sofas when the Mountaineers win a college football game: in Pennsylvania they don't.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    That electoral commission story is incredible. I suspect they will change their tune pretty quickly.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    RoyalBlue said:

That electoral commission story is incredible. I suspect they will change their tune pretty quickly.

?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

RoyalBlue said:

?
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/05/26/government-quietly-planning-britain-stay-eu-march-deadline-eurosceptics/amp/
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited May 2018
    RoyalBlue said:

Can you give any more information on this? I don't know what it's about.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    AndyJS said:

RoyalBlue said:

Setting aside a contingency just in case the eu parliament election happens.
  • Options
    Could Arlene be trolling perchance? Surely not!

https://twitter.com/DUPleader/status/1000507225172004864
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Jonathan said:

AndyJS said:

RoyalBlue said:

Setting aside a contingency just in case the eu parliament election happens.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    Interesting discussion and good to see Sea Shanty Irish back. The national polls still show a very consistent Democrat lead in votes (it just went up again to 7 in the latest one), but given the presence of gerrymandering it's not clear that it'd be enough if the turnout issue turns out to be neutral. Hard to be confident either way, so the GOP side is probably the value bet, as Ian says.

The European election story is paywalled but I'd assume they're just doing their duty as civil servants of having contingency plans or any situation. It's not suggested that the money is actually being spent, is it?
  • Options
    It occurs to me that at least the biggest losers from the Irish referendum won't be able to spend the following few years trying to overturn it.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    rcs1000 is correct that some Trump-voting areas are still hurting and not seeing any economic improvements and I think the economic situation as a whole may not necessarily develop to the Republicans’ advantage by November. Gasoline prices are soaring right now: it just cost us $25 to 3/4-fill our Impreza’s tank. A few months ago we could nearly fill it for $20. Yes gas prices traditionally rise during the summer in the US, but this feels like a noticeable spike.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Thought you were working in Dubai? £3k is must be than a week' pocket money :wink:
    I am indeed working in Dubai, my wife is Ukrainian and we were in Kiev last weekend.
    Sadly I needed to be back in the sandpit for work this week, would have cost me a fortune (as it did for TSE) to be there and we didn’t win.
    Looks like you made a wise choice. Still a good season overall for Liverpool... you guys could be the dark horses for the Premiership next season.
    If Mo Salah can get 40 goals next season we’ll be good contenders for the league title.
    Another Liverpool fan who lives nowhere Merseyside.

Just like the PB Brexiteers and Neobrexiteers who live nowhere near the UK.

I do think it would be interesting to ask @Pulpstar to annotate his PB Remainer/Leaver list to show those who live abroad. It might puncture the voew that a lot of PB Leavers live abroad... then again, it might not!
    Ha! I don’t know really, I’m just pulling his chain.

Among Brexiteers, Sandpit, Archer and RCS1000 all live abroad.

Among Neobrexiteers, Carlotta and Felix live abroad.

I suspect the majority of them live here if I am honest.
    Surely there is admirable logical consistency if they decided to live outside the EU?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I used to live in that district and got married there.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

Or maybe not!
  • Options

Interesting discussion and good to see Sea Shanty Irish back. The national polls still show a very consistent Democrat lead in votes (it just went up again to 7 in the latest one), but given the presence of gerrymandering it's not clear that it'd be enough if the turnout issue turns out to be neutral. Hard to be confident either way, so the GOP side is probably the value bet, as Ian says.

The European election story is paywalled but I'd assume they're just doing their duty as civil servants of having contingency plans or any situation. It's not suggested that the money is actually being spent, is it?

Pity there weren't any contingency plans for Brexit, eh?
  • Options

Until 2010, the Treasury wasted money on a team that looked at Euro entry, even after 2002/3. One of Osborne’s first acts was to wind it up.

It’s remarkable what the civil service will and won’t plan for...
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,760
    Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

I do think it would be interesting to ask @Pulpstar to annotate his PB Remainer/Leaver list to show those who live abroad. It might puncture the voew that a lot of PB Leavers live abroad... then again, it might not!

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,980
    Thanks for the header, Ian!
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,760
    FPT - discussion on how European Brits feel:

Britain feels less European than anywhere else in the EU
    A new report, published today by NatCen Social Research, reveals that fewer people in the UK feel any sense of European identity than do those in any other country in the European Union. The report – ‘Do we feel European and does it matter?’ – is the second in a series of briefing papers exploring Britain’s relationship with the European Union in the run up to the referendum as part of the ESRC-funded project ‘What UK Thinks: EU’.

According to the latest Eurobarometer survey, as many as 64% of people in the UK deny that they feel in any way ‘European’. In contrast, just 25% of people in Germany and 36% of people in France feel that way.

https://whatukthinks.org/eu/media-centre/britain-feels-less-european-than-anywhere-else-in-the-eu/

• Options

It occurs to me that at least the biggest losers from the Irish referendum won't be able to spend the following few years trying to overturn it.

Is that because aborted foetuses won't ever get a chance to vote?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Liverpool FC disaster - Poor TSE .... what a pineapple pizza of a night he's had. There's no topping that ....
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298
    edited May 2018

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB's a Swiss resident Leaver IIRC
    There was also Geoff the only guy in gib who voted Brexit; he hasn't been around lately.

There does seem to be a tendency for ex pats to take their nationalism too seriously?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Surely there is admirable logical consistency if they decided to live outside the EU?
    As usual she's also wrong. I am not a Neobrexiteer. More a believer in respecting democracy. However I was and still am a supporter of Remain and as a British citizen my residence is irrelevant.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,045
    felix said:

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

As usual she's also wrong. I am not a Neobrexiteer. More a believer in respecting democracy. However I was and still am a supporter of Remain and as a British citizen my residence is irrelevant.
    I'm unsure how to class myself wrt Brexit. I reluctantly voted remain, would vote remain again if there was a referendum with the same wording, yet think Brexit should occur as a consequence of the referendum.

Does that make me a remainer, a leaver, a Brexiteer, a neo-Brexiteer, a traitor, or just a very silly boy?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,303
    Anazina said:

I’m completely hooked on the test match. Hard to get a reliable weather forecast.

Ideally warm and sunny in the morning then humid and cloudy with several brief rain breaks later in the day.

No, ideally monsoon rain for two days, or tell Peter Hain the MCC supports apartheid or something.

Not that we deserve a draw given how poor we've been.
  • Options

felix said:

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

I'm unsure how to class myself wrt Brexit. I reluctantly voted remain, would vote remain again if there was a referendum with the same wording, yet think Brexit should occur as a consequence of the referendum.

Does that make me a remainer, a leaver, a Brexiteer, a neo-Brexiteer, a traitor, or just a very silly boy?
    It means that you, Felix and I are not going to end up going insane like say James Chapman or a certain poster of these parts.

I would add Adonis but the truth is he was always that dumb and crazy. He just used to be better at hiding it.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Good morning, everyone.

Interesting article, Mr. Whittaker. I was thinking of such a bet, actually, though I don't believe the market was up when I checked a few weeks ago (must admit my record on US political matters is less than stellar). May put on a pound or two.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008

felix said:

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

It makes you a democrat and an honest man
  • Options

felix said:

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Thanks, but you evidently don't know me. ;)
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Totally off-topic but this is a rather alarming read:
    https://www.theguardian.com/education/2018/may/26/bristol-university-faces-growing-anger-after-student-suicides
    I knew they were completely revamping their pastoral services but I didn't realise why.
  • Options

felix said:

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Pretty much the same as my position . I dislike the acrimony. The vote was clear but close - a soft Brexit is the closest match.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

felix said:

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

It means that you, Felix and I are not going to end up going insane like say James Chapman or a certain poster of these parts.

I would add Adonis but the truth is he was always that dumb and crazy. He just used to be better at hiding it.
    :)
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Adonis intrigues me. At the time, I thought his period as SoS for Transport was positive: he evidently cared about transport and especially the railways and had some good ideas. However during that time, the various failed electrification schemes were initiated, and the disastrous IEP program was started.

He also initiated the reports that led to HS2, which I think is a good thing, but others differ. ;)

I now think he was a disastrous SoS, and some of the problems on the railways that pro-renationalisation people point at can be laid at his door.

There are plenty of nutty people on both sides of Brexit: leavers can be as froth-mouthed as ardent remainers.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,907
    IanB2 said:

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

There was also Geoff the only guy in gib who voted Brexit; he hasn't been around lately.

There does seem to be a tendency for ex pats to take their nationalism too seriously?
    Or maybe those of us who have spent time living outside the EU realise that it’s a big wide world out there, and it’s a rapidly expanding market we could be a key part of if we go looking for it, rather than tying ourselves to what in global terms is a rapidly diminishing bloc.
  • Options
    edited May 2018

There are plenty of nutty people on both sides of Brexit: leavers can be as froth-mouthed as ardent remainers.

That is of course very true, but then a lot of them (e.g. JRM) seemed a sandwich short of a picnic to start with, which would mean it isn't Brexit's fault.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,709
    Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Or maybe those of us who have spent time living outside the EU realise that it’s a big wide world out there, and it’s a rapidly expanding market we could be a key part of if we go looking for it, rather than tying ourselves to what in global terms is a rapidly diminishing bloc.
    In what way has being in the EU inhibited you working in the Gulf and marrying a Ukranian?

• Options
    Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Well, that's the point isn't it? Very few of our expats live in EU countries - is it just Tyson and Carlotta (and Beverley if she ever comes back)? They tend to live further away. And the irony is of course that while the EU is very internationalist within its own borders, it's very parochial and insular outside them. I can see why somebody living in say Dubai or Australia would view the EU with a lot of suspicion.
  • Options

felix said:

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Thanks, but you evidently don't know me. ;)
    We have had our spats Mr J, but I try to adhere to the old Liberal philoshophy; my opponent is as honest as myself and may possibly be right!
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113
    Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Leaver nonsense as usual. Germany and the Netherlands trade more with China than we do.

http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/China-EU_-_international_trade_in_goods_statistics
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    F1: exciting opportunity to lose money on the Monaco GP here:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2018/05/monaco-pre-race-2018.html

Edited extra bit: just checked and if you didn't back it then you missed the (potentially unprofitable) boat. The places have declined from 3 to 2.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    JackW said:

Liverpool FC disaster - Poor TSE .... what a pineapple pizza of a night he's had. There's no topping that ....

I'm all for footballers showing their emotions but i've seen less tears in a maternity unit.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Leaver nonsense as usual. Germany and the Netherlands trade more with China than we do.

http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/China-EU_-_international_trade_in_goods_statistics
    My social dealings with people of all sorts of nationalities in Thailand suggest to me that the ‘European’ idea is strong among EU citizens who live there.
  • Options

F1: exciting opportunity to lose money on the Monaco GP here:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2018/05/monaco-pre-race-2018.html

Edited extra bit: just checked and if you didn't back it then you missed the (potentially unprofitable) boat. The places have declined from 3 to 2.

Is the exciting opportunity betting on how many cars Verstappen will take out on the first lap?
  • Options
    Mr. Doethur, well, he starts last, so he'd ideally want to pass a few, then crash into two by his side and take out those behind him. I'd guess six is the optimum he can hope for.

I would prefer him to crash out, as it would significantly improve the odds on my bet being green. Which would be a strange and marvellous thing.
  • Options
    At what point, Mr Dancer, will Verstappen be stripped of his licence? Because he's clearly not safe on a racetrack.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

felix said:

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Don't worry: you'll never be as crazy as archer101au
  • Options
    Mr. Doethur, I wouldn't go that far. But to skip a race you need 12 points on your licence. A full ban would require something extraordinary. I don't think Grosjean got one (maybe a three race suspension?) for the 2012 Belgian Grand Prix.

They have been too soft on this sort of thing, though. Maldonado deliberately hit Hamilton's car during a Belgian practice session and got no penalty worth the name. Verstappen wove in front of Raikkonen to retain a place a year or two ago. No damage occurred, but it easily could've.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,858
    edited May 2018
    rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

felix said:

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Just like tbrexiteers who live nowhere near the UK.

Don't worry: you'll never be as crazy as archer101au
    And yet archer101au keeps calling it right...
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    JackW said:

Slipped through their fingers.... The Spurs bound lad scored a half decent goal too. To lose Salah was cruel luck.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980
    rcs1000

I recall 'RoyalBlue' indicating that he would prefer that UK economy crashed, rather than countenance a soft-Brexit. Worryingly, that view does, in fact, represent a discernible strand of Tory thinking on the matter.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,668
    ydoethur said:

At what point, Mr Dancer, will Verstappen be stripped of his licence? Because he's clearly not safe on a racetrack.

If he carries on effing up their car with the same frequency, he’ll probably lose his Red Bull seat first.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,329

JackW said:

Slipped through their fingers.... The Spurs bound lad scored a half decent goal too. To lose Salah was cruel luck.
    Ramos was trying to break his wrist. He held Salah's hand and lower arm away from his body and made sure they landed on it. As it turned out his shoulder went instead. It was a deeply cynical move by an extremely cynical player. I was astonished that experienced professionals did not call him on it.

Bale's goal was incredible.
  • Options
    On topic, that is not a bet that looks l8ke value to me.
    It’s just about possible that the Republicans pull off a surprise in the midterms, but I would want much longer odds.

More likely that things deteriorate for them.
  • Options
    So how many more runs do England need to make this test match interesting? I would have said at least another 100 which with the new ball coming in 2 overs seems extremely unlikely to me but at least it is no longer the complete trouncing we saw on days 1 and 2.

My guess is that Pakistan will have won by tea today. But there is just a germ of hope.
  • Options
    Mr. B, maybe. Red Bull clearly see him as the golden boy. He's immensely talented, and young enough to have many seasons ahead of him.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

If he carries on effing up their car with the same frequency, he’ll probably lose his Red Bull seat first.
    ISTR that at the start of his career, Schumacher had lots of crashes - to the extent some of us called him ShuntMaker. He essentially drove with a message: get out of my way or we will crash. (Though he did have some nasty crashes that were not his fault, such a tyre blowout in 1992).

Witness also his suspended one-race ban at Spa in ?1995?

I fear Verstappen (whose dad knew Schuey well) is turning into the same sort of driver: let me through, or we'll both be off.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

ISTR that at the start of his career, Schumacher had lots of crashes - to the extent some of us called him ShuntMaker. He essentially drove with a message: get out of my way or we will crash. (Though he did have some nasty crashes that were not his fault, such a tyre blowout in 1992).

I fear Verstappen (whose dad knew Schuey well) is turning into the same sort of driver: let me through, or we'll both be off.
    Are most the winners not like that? If you build a reputation for not backing off the chances of others doing so greatly increase. I think Verstappen will be Champion within 3 years.
  • Options

Mr. B, maybe. Red Bull clearly see him as the golden boy. He's immensely talented, and young enough to have many seasons ahead of him.

Golden or not, if he keeps throwing away opportunities for a team 1-2 result as he did this weekend, even his biggest defenders are going to lose patience.
    Talented, yes - but thus far has shown no inclination or willingness to learn from his mistakes. If anything has got worse this season.

Massively shunting your car in final practice, on a track where you have an excellent chance of pole, is simply stupid.
  • Options
    From the thread header:
    The increasing narrative on the Republican side is that, yes, there is a scandal bigger than Watergate but that scandal is the Obama Administration deliberately placed spies in the Trump campaign in 2016 to spy on his campaign...
    This is palpable nonsense.
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, several of his crashes have just been screw-ups, though. At Bahrain, the spin in Australia, the practice crash in Monaco. None had anyone else involved, they just harmed Verstappen.

Mr. B, indeed. Well, I agree. But I'm not Helmut Marko.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Are most the winners not like that? If you build a reputation for not backing off the chances of others doing so greatly increase. I think Verstappen will be Champion within 3 years.
    Many are; most are not. As an example, the number of times Hamilton has been overly aggressive are minimal. Verstappen will have to learn that to get points you first have to finish, not finish first.
  • Options

Mr. Jessop, several of his crashes have just been screw-ups, though. At Bahrain, the spin in Australia, the practice crash in Monaco. None had anyone else involved, they just harmed Verstappen.

Marko didn’t sound enthralled, either:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/44267114
    Nor did Verstappen sound particularly contrite.

If he gets the results they will tolerate him. If not, then not.
  • Options

You mean the way he claimed that the EU got everything they wanted with the exit payment?
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, worth pointing out Hamilton's been driving in F1 for over a decade. Earlier, and in his ropey 2011 (I think) season, he did get a bit over the top.

That doesn't excuse Verstappen, though. I think it's his third year. He should've learnt by now that driving into walls isn't conducive to great success.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

So what was he doing this weekend - trying to intimidate the wall ?

In any event, some of Schumacher’s trademark moves are outlawed by current F1 regulations.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Roger,

A sad day in Liverpool. Oops! I did it again, by Karius

Despite the Britney Spears song, I have sympathy for Karius. He had a nightmare, but that's always a possibility for a young keeper. And Salah going off did change the game a little. After marking him tightly with two defenders, Real could move back into their comfort zone when Lallana came on.

It was a nice touch from Karius to apologise to the fans, but the tears were a little over the top - from all of the snowflakes. But I can understand the fans crying, especially after looking at their credit card statements.

I changed over to see 'Cabaret' on the other channel as soon as the match finished. One of the few musicals I like. I remember arguing with someone who preferred 'Westside Story'. "How can you take it seriously?" I asked. "Quick, run away before the Jets and the Sharks surround us with expressive dancing."

As for the cricket …. the ball was too red, the grass was too green and the umpires were biased. And worst of all, Cooke couldn't catch a bag of cement. But at least, he didn't start crying. As the old joke goes, he just held his head in his hands … and dropped it.

• Options
    Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

In any event, some of Schumacher’s trademark moves are outlawed by current F1 regulations.
    He is pushing the very edge of himself and his car. At the moment he is going over that edge too often and he needs to temper that but I don't see anyone else near his age on the grid with his natural talent. What he needs, and what Hamilton has had for most of his career, is a car that can win without being on the ragged edge all the time. If he gets a ride like that he will be champion.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,907

He’s still very young, only 20, so could have a very long career ahead of him. He’s not going to win world championships if he can’t go a weekend without hitting something though, he needs to grow up and quickly. I can’t see Marko and Dietrich Mateschitz being too happy to see him at the back today, when he had every opportunity to be on the front row.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Spa '95 was ridiculous. He continually blocked Hill, sometimes pushing him off the track, and got a one-race suspended ban for the driving. Yet he kept the win ...
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, an added complication for Red Bull is that by seeming to favour Verstappen previously, Ricciardo, who isn't exactly a bad driver, could jump ship and give them a bit of a headache.

Incidentally, if you missed it earlier the bet I advocated for the race has had the terms changed so it only pays out to two places rather than three.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

He is pushing the very edge of himself and his car. At the moment he is going over that edge too often and he needs to temper that but I don't see anyone else near his age on the grid with his natural talent. What he needs, and what Hamilton has had for most of his career, is a car that can win without being on the ragged edge all the time. If he gets a ride like that he will be champion.
    Not if he is teamed with a team-mate who can keep the car on the track. He is being far too aggressive. Yes, he has more talent than Maldanado (and a better car), but he has to learn to finish.

There is a danger that he cannot temper his driving style.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

JackW said:

Ramos was trying to break his wrist. He held Salah's hand and lower arm away from his body and made sure they landed on it. As it turned out his shoulder went instead. It was a deeply cynical move by an extremely cynical player. I was astonished that experienced professionals did not call him on it.
    It was incredibly obvious. Ramos is a thug and there was no way that was an accident.

Like you I'm stunned that pundits aren't calling it what it was.
  • Options

Mr. Sandpit, an added complication for Red Bull is that by seeming to favour Verstappen previously, Ricciardo, who isn't exactly a bad driver, could jump ship and give them a bit of a headache.

Incidentally, if you missed it earlier the bet I advocated for the race has had the terms changed so it only pays out to two places rather than three.

Marko has looked at Ferrari's success in the early 2000s and seen they favoured one driver. He wants to replicate that, and so favoured Vettel over Webber. Red Bull will always be a Ferrari-style team where they put most of their interest in a 'star' driver, and the other has to lay second-fiddle.

This is something I really dislike in F1. There's no way Ferrari or Red Bull would have 'allowed' Rosberg to win the title over Hamilton. I didn't particularly like Rosberg, but at least Mercedes mostly let them race.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,709
    DavidL said:

JackW said:

I agree, Ramos was deliberately preventing Salah from breaking his fall, causing him to fall on his unprotected shoulder. It was old school physical intimidation, with a casual attitude to injury.

I think Real would have won anyway.

https://twitter.com/Gidi_Traffic/status/1000468215414382592?s=19
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Mr Roger,

Despite the Britney Spears song, I have sympathy for Karius. He had a nightmare, but that's always a possibility for a young keeper. And Salah going off did change the game a little. After marking him tightly with two defenders, Real could move back into their comfort zone when Lallana came on.

It was a nice touch from Karius to apologise to the fans, but the tears were a little over the top - from all of the snowflakes. But I can understand the fans crying, especially after looking at their credit card statements.

I changed over to see 'Cabaret' on the other channel as soon as the match finished. One of the few musicals I like. I remember arguing with someone who preferred 'Westside Story'. "How can you take it seriously?" I asked. "Quick, run away before the Jets and the Sharks surround us with expressive dancing."

As for the cricket …. the ball was too red, the grass was too green and the umpires were biased. And worst of all, Cooke couldn't catch a bag of cement. But at least, he didn't start crying. As the old joke goes, he just held his head in his hands … and dropped it.

Cabaret is one of my favourite films and not just among musicals. I'm glad it gave you some solace. As for Karius....the good news is that though his football career is probably over he'll almost certainly be swept up by the vultures of advertising. Fame at least. I mean who remembers the losing goalkeeper in a champions league match? But who can forget Gareth Southgate's walking into a post for Pizza Hut or Gazza's tears for Walkers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORW-jMZElcg

• Options
    Mr. Jessop, I largely agree with that view. Another weakness with it is highlighted by what's happening right now at Red Bull. Ricciardo's very fast and consistent. But because of the team's approach, he might prefer to jump ship and join Mercedes.

Red Bull won't have any difficulty finding a decent replacement but they have to decide (unless they change their number one driver approach) whether they're backing Verstappen or AN Other.

Mr. Roger, the best sports-related advertising featured a pair of winners.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGxVe3-Z5wo
  • Options
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

JackW said:

I agree, Ramos was deliberately preventing Salah from breaking his fall, causing him to fall on his unprotected shoulder. It was old school physical intimidation, with a casual attitude to injury.

I think Real would have won anyway.

https://twitter.com/Gidi_Traffic/status/1000468215414382592?s=19
    The naivety. He is more likely to have it on his wall. The moment I won the European Cup for my team.

RM would probably have won but with Salah this season almost nothing has been impossible. It will be a tragedy if this foul means he does not get to play in the World Cup.
  • Options
    edited May 2018

Mr. Jessop, I largely agree with that view. Another weakness with it is highlighted by what's happening right now at Red Bull. Ricciardo's very fast and consistent. But because of the team's approach, he might prefer to jump ship and join Mercedes.

Red Bull won't have any difficulty finding a decent replacement but they have to decide (unless they change their number one driver approach) whether they're backing Verstappen or AN Other.

Mr. Roger, the best sports-related advertising featured a pair of winners.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGxVe3-Z5

I guess it depends on your sport. i thought this was funnier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvZWGYkTR7U
  • Options
    Roger said:

CD13 said:

Mr Roger,

Cabaret is one of my favourite films and not just among musicals. I'm glad it gave you some solace. As for Karius....the good news is that though his football career is probably over he'll almost certainly be swept up by the vultures of advertising. Fame at least. I mean who remembers the losing goalkeeper in a champions league match? But who can forget Gareth Southgate's walking into a post for Pizza Hut or Gazza's tears for Walkers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORW-jMZElcg

I rarely agree with you but Cabaret is truly one of the greats.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

In final practice ? In a car which was comfortably capable of pole on this track ?

He’s an idiot.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,637
    I see that Gove is looking at the creation of new National Parks and expanding those we already have.

Good. In fact, just the latest piece of positive policy from him.

I hope that he stays in post for as long as this government is in office.

Who would have thought that the Gover would be the embodiment of 'Vote Blue, Go Green'?
  • Options
    New thread.
  • Options

I see that Gove is looking at the creation of new National Parks and expanding those we already have.

Good. In fact, just the latest piece of positive policy from him.

I hope that he stays in post for as long as this government is in office.

Who would have thought that the Gover would be the embodiment of 'Vote Blue, Go Green'?

I want him to sort out our taxes. They are shambolic and need someone capable of actual thought. The long term benefits will be immense, even if, Gove like, he pisses off some segments in the short term.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,009

A prophet is not without honour save within his own country. Mark 6:4.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

You mean the way he claimed that the EU got everything they wanted with the exit payment?
    The U.K. conceded that exit payments won’t be conditional on an FTA.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

A prophet is not without honour save within his own country. Mark 6:4.
    True dat.
This discussion has been closed.