Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On another planet

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,951

The new status quo being shackled to a customs union and the single market because "like it or not we don't have any choice"?

Poor you...

You are back in the realms of fantasy again. Where it seems you spend most of your life.
    Your plan was simply to gatecrash EFTA to stay in the EEA against the EU's will. Wholly unrealistic and incompatible with the Irish backstop. What's your plan B?
    I have no interest in the Irish backstop. Nor was it a question of gatecrashing anyone. Next question.
    Why did you spend so much time explaining that the EU could do nothing to prevent your plan?

Given that it's not happening, you still need to answer my first question: what is your plan B?
    Because whether we do or do not join EFTA is nothing to do with the EU.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    Incidentally, the F1 ramble should be up this evening but will probably be a little later than usual (just in case anyone was wondering).
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    New thread.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Just got up, how's the cricket going?

Oh.
    Anyway. Any other sport on today?

And should I introduce my children (7 & 10) to a World Cup Panini Sticker book?
    Yea, I am at Wembley watching Fulham v Aston Villa in the EFL playoff with my father
    One last outing for this joke: Police have warned Fulham fans not to bring flares into the stadium for the play-off final...

Because that's what they wore the last time they were at Wembley.
    My father certainly
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

OllyT said:

Foxy said:

I think the mistake made in the thread header is to take the argument for a general election at face value. I think it is very unlikely that the Conservative MP genuinely believes that a new leader, a general election and an unlikely majority will suddenly ensure that the EU instantly roll over to have their tummy tickled by the hard Brexiteers.

The objective is to construct a superficial narrative to establish the idea that there was an obvious alternative to whatever reality the government is forced to inhabit. When the contradictions of the Brexit campaign collapse when they encounter reality it is vital that there are many superficial alternatives to blame for that collapse. This is one of them.

In many respects the political debate in the UK since the referendum has been a process of trying to create a narrative of blame for when Brexit inevitably fails to live up to its fantastical campaign promises. There is very little debate about the real trade offs that exist between different priorities.

Yes, it is all about establishing a "stab in the back" narrative, nothing more.

It is important that the Brexiteers cannot dodge the consequences of their policy, so it should be WTO Brexit.

They are cowards though, and will funk it as DH suggests.
    I tend to agree but even if we go down the WTO Brexit route the Leavers will blame all the consequences on everyone else not having prepared for it properly. The chances of most Leavers ever, under any circumstances, admitting that we made a mistake is zero. Every consequence will always be somebody else's fault,
    Fine, then may I suggest the Remainers go away and leave us to deal with Brexit our way? Then, if it doesn't work, you can ask to reverse it. 45 years seems like a reasonable period to try it out.
    What is "your way" exactly? You had to have 2 Leave campaigns before the referendum because you couldn't agree on a common strategy even before the vote. SFA has changed since then.

Fortunately you don't get to choose when we have another referendum either.
This discussion has been closed.