Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn’s Opinium net approval ratings trail both Cable and May

2»

Comments

• Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,002
    Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
    And notifying the next of kin
    Once again
    Its all were skilled in
    We will be shipbuilding
    With all the will in the world
    Diving for dear life
    When we could be diving for pearls
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    New thread....
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    The lib dems will get past 40 seats at the next GE..middle england will revolt and actually they may get a lot more..
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011
    surby said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

A whole 10 points, huh? No doubt Corbyn is devastated.

Also, why would Cable's score have improved? Has he done anything recently that I was not aware of?

Corbyn may not be devastated but he should be doing better. His churlish and joyless decision not to congratulate Harry and Meghan today is probably on the wrong side of public opinion.
    How will public opinion find out about it (particularly if he tweets something, say, tomorrow)? No one will remember. And yes, he should be doing better, but given what happened last time he's not going to panic no matter what polls say, even if what happened last time is no guarantee on next time.
    Last time the Tories got 43% in GB, they are now still on 43%. Labour is down 2% from the 42% they got last time.

All Corbyn did last time was squeeze the leftwing LD, Green, SNP and UKIP voters behind him, he made virtually no net gains from the Tories in terms of voters on 2015. Next time he has little more leftwing voters to squeeze and will have to win over Tories to become PM, this poll confirms he is still a long way from doing that
    Labour did not poll 42% in 2017!
    41% then, still down 2%
    Actually 40%.
    Not in GB
  • Options
    surby said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Also, why would Cable's score have improved? Has he done anything recently that I was not aware of?

Corbyn may not be devastated but he should be doing better. His churlish and joyless decision not to congratulate Harry and Meghan today is probably on the wrong side of public opinion.
    As I said, he should be doing better (if, in the absence of anything else, we still take something away from polling). I just don't think being on the wrong end of public opinion through not sending a congrats message (yet) will figure into anything.
    Most Labour voters won't care less that Corbyn did not send a message of congratulation, the Tory swing voters Corbyn needs to win over though, especially those who voted Labour from 1997-2005 but have voted Tory since, certainly will and will see it as peevish and disrespectful
    Seriously - do you really think that many people will give a damn about something so obviously trivial? Why should he send them a tweet any more than to the many others who were married yesterday?
    Because while about half of the UK electorate shares your indifference, a minority of the UK electorate care quite a lot about what happened yesterday. And quite a number of those will be seriously pissed off by what will be reported correctly as a Corbyn snub. He did find the time send a tweet of congratulations yesterday to someone in London, but it happened to be a Lewisham by-election candidate. When you are still 4% behind in the polls and seemingly going backwards some 8 years into a Conservative government, you really can't afford to piss anyone off unnecessarily.
    I would say that a good 95% share my indifference. Very few people tend to be really ardent Monarchists nowadays and we are talking here about the 'hangers on' - Harry is 6th in line to the throne on one view of his parentage. Party leaders have never been expected to send messages like that. Wilson didn't do it in 1973 - neither did Foot to Charles in 1981 - nor Kinnock to Andrew.The suggestion is a load of nonsense and will be forgotten a week hence.
    If Corbyn had sent a message, that would have the talking point for a month. The word "hypocrite" would have been used.

All ardent monarchist [ to those to whom this matters ] do not vote Labour.
    Wrong, even a plurality of Labour voters are monarchists according to yougov
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

As I said, he should be doing better (if, in the absence of anything else, we still take something away from polling). I just don't think being on the wrong end of public opinion through not sending a congrats message (yet) will figure into anything.
    Most Labour voters won't care less that Corbyn did not send a message of congratulation, the Tory swing voters Corbyn needs to win over though, especially those who voted Labour from 1997-2005 but have voted Tory since, certainly will and will see it as peevish and disrespectful
    Seriously - do you really think that many people will give a damn about something so obviously trivial? Why should he send them a tweet any more than to the many others who were married yesterday?
    Because while about half of the UK electorate shares your indifference, a minority of the UK electorate care quite a lot about what happened yesterday. And quite a number of those will be seriously pissed off by what will be reported correctly as a Corbyn snub. He did find the time send a tweet of congratulations yesterday to someone in London, but it happened to be a Lewisham by-election candidate. When you are still 4% behind in the polls and seemingly going backwards some 8 years into a Conservative government, you really can't afford to piss anyone off unnecessarily.
    I would say that a good 95% share my indifference. Very few people tend to be really ardent Monarchists nowadays and we are talking here about the 'hangers on' - Harry is 6th in line to the throne on one view of his parentage. Party leaders have never been expected to send messages like that. Wilson didn't do it in 1973 - neither did Foot to Charles in 1981 - nor Kinnock to Andrew.The suggestion is a load of nonsense and will be forgotten a week hence.
    They didn't have twitter back then and every other political leader, even Sturgeon, managed to do so but Corbyn
This discussion has been closed.