Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn’s Ipsos MORI satisfaction ratings drop to lowest point

1235»

Comments

• Options
    tyson said:

https://twitter.com/itvnews/status/991009901496422400

Can somebody please convince me this is a spoof?

This morning, some posters were wondering about the reasons for this merger. Perhaps this 'unguarded moment' indicates we should look for those reasons in the finances of the individuals involved, rather than the shareholders or the general public?
    Why are rich people generally a) very greedy and obsessed about getting richer, and b) tight, mean fisted fuckers?...a bit of generalising, but you get my drift....

When I was bob a jobbing around south Manchester as a kid, I always found the council estates much more lucrative than the wealthy suburbs around Hale and Bowden....
    My experience with Santa float - the council estates poured in the money, the wealthy 50p at best
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101
    chloe said:

Pulpstar said:

chloe said:

chloe said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Projected national shares at 2014 local elections:

BBC: Lab 31%, Con 29%, Ukip 17%, Lib Dems 13%
    Rallings & Thrasher: Labour: 33%, Conservatives: 30%, Ukip: 16%, Lib Dems: 14%

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/2014/may/23/local-election-results-live

Andy

The national shares ONLY correct for the fact these are Labour-friendly councils right? Nothing else going on?
    AFAIK the projected national share is an attempt to say how the whole country would have voted if the local elections had been taking place everywhere.
    I think both Conservative and Labour will have increased their projected national share since 2014 due to UKIP’s collapse. I also think Labour will be marginally ahead.
    I was predicting a 2% lead for the Tories, but since then the Home Sec has resigned.

No, I'll stick to my guns: 2% Tory lead.
    We’ll see, I’m sure it will be close. In my borough, Barnet, I am projecting a Labour majority of 2.
    I went through Barnet ward by ward and came to the same conclusion that Labour would have a small majority.
    I wonder if there might be a Conservative gain or two in West Hendon ward.

Its always been Labour but has swung steadily to the Conservatives after 2006.

IIRC Boris was ahead there in 2012 - almost certainly because of a high turnout of Jewish voters against Ken Livingstone.
    That has certainly been the Conservatives hope by massively increasing home ownership in West Hendon through the regeneration efforts. I don’t see it playing out that way though. West Hendon regeneration has not gone down well.
    Any details ?

Still West Hendon has trended Conservative.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

This morning, some posters were wondering about the reasons for this merger. Perhaps this 'unguarded moment' indicates we should look for those reasons in the finances of the individuals involved, rather than the shareholders or the general public?
    Well the stockmarket seemed to like the news so I wouldn't be too displeased as a shareholder. But traditionally it is the owners/execs of the company being... bought that ought to fare better financially though. And isn't Sainsburys doing the buying I thought on this one ?
    As Wallmart will have 42% of the shares it looks like they'll have effective control.

I wonder who gets paid most now - the Asda directors or the Sainsbury directors.
    No they won't, Wal Mart will only have 29.9% of voting rights in the new merged entity. In essence this Sainsbury's taking over Asda but not being able to afford the buyout in full.
    Why would Wallmart take a lower share of voting rights than size entitles them to ?

Is there some regulatory reason ?
    Above 30% you need to make a mandatory offer for the company
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Well the stockmarket seemed to like the news so I wouldn't be too displeased as a shareholder. But traditionally it is the owners/execs of the company being... bought that ought to fare better financially though. And isn't Sainsburys doing the buying I thought on this one ?
    As Wallmart will have 42% of the shares it looks like they'll have effective control.

I wonder who gets paid most now - the Asda directors or the Sainsbury directors.
    No they won't, Wal Mart will only have 29.9% of voting rights in the new merged entity. In essence this Sainsbury's taking over Asda but not being able to afford the buyout in full.
    Why would Wallmart take a lower share of voting rights than size entitles them to ?

Is there some regulatory reason ?
    Sainsbury's are paying them to. Additionally it means that if WM ever decides to sell their stake they won't be able to sell more than 29.9% of voting rights, any more than that and it triggers certain takeover rules.
    I doubt the restriction would apply unless sold to a single buyer
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,210
    RoyalBlue said:

Cyclefree said:

RoyalBlue said:

Foxy said:

Roger said:

Anyone know if the Labour PPB was directed by Ken Loach?

Was it a remake of Triumph of the Will?
    Please. Triumph of the Will is a masterpiece, not some unwatchable (and largely unwatched) third-rate lefty agitprop.

This evening I am more in sympathy with @Tykejohnno . If Brexit is betrayed, let’s bring the status quo crashing down, whatever the economic cost.
    What a load of twaddle. "Whatever the economic cost". Honestly? Let's destroy everything and make things worse for our children just because your preferred version of Brexit is not forthcoming.

Some people need to get a grip of themselves.
    Democracy is worth a great deal.

I quite like your attempt to channel Andrea Leadsom. It goes well with the antirational hysteria from earlier today about prostitution.
    Democracy is indeed important. And we will leave the EU next March in accordance with the referendum result. The form of that Brexit is up to Parliament to decide since that result did not mandate any particular type of Brexit.

Those who would destroy the economy and society just because they won’t get their preferred form of Brexit are not democrats.

As for Ms Leadsom, I was one of those on here who first identified that she was not all she claimed to be when she first stood for the Tory leadership back in June 2016. I have never been a fan, unlike quite a few on here.

And, finally, only a man (I’m guessing) would view concerns about the brutal realities of prostitution as “anti-rationalist hysteria”. Who’d have thought that being in favour of “consensual” sex with groomed, drugged, beaten, raped, coerced and often effectively sex slave girls was being “rational”? Well, well, you learn something new every day on here.
  • Options
    chloechloe Posts: 308

chloe said:

Pulpstar said:

chloe said:

chloe said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Projected national shares at 2014 local elections:

BBC: Lab 31%, Con 29%, Ukip 17%, Lib Dems 13%
    Rallings & Thrasher: Labour: 33%, Conservatives: 30%, Ukip: 16%, Lib Dems: 14%

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/2014/may/23/local-election-results-live

Andy

The national shares ONLY correct for the fact these are Labour-friendly councils right? Nothing else going on?
    AFAIK the projected national share is an attempt to say how the whole country would have voted if the local elections had been taking place everywhere.
    I think both Conservative and Labour will have increased their projected national share since 2014 due to UKIP’s collapse. I also think Labour will be marginally ahead.
    I was predicting a 2% lead for the Tories, but since then the Home Sec has resigned.

No, I'll stick to my guns: 2% Tory lead.
    We’ll see, I’m sure it will be close. In my borough, Barnet, I am projecting a Labour majority of 2.
    I went through Barnet ward by ward and came to the same conclusion that Labour would have a small majority.
    I wonder if there might be a Conservative gain or two in West Hendon ward.

Its always been Labour but has swung steadily to the Conservatives after 2006.

IIRC Boris was ahead there in 2012 - almost certainly because of a high turnout of Jewish voters against Ken Livingstone.
    That has certainly been the Conservatives hope by massively increasing home ownership in West Hendon through the regeneration efforts. I don’t see it playing out that way though. West Hendon regeneration has not gone down well.
    Any details ?

Still West Hendon has trended Conservative.
    There was an admittedly very one sided documentary on the BBC a few years ago following a publbic enquiry into the regeneration. Long-term West Hendon could be competitive for the Conservatives but I don’t think we are there yet.
This discussion has been closed.